PDA

View Full Version : A fund raiser to help Shaquille Powell's family

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-30-2014, 10:25 AM
Some of you may have already heard about the bout with cancer which Shaquille Powell's little brother is facing. A fund raiser has been set up to help pay the medical expenses.... the compliance office has given checked it out. The fund raiser is in compliance with NCAA rules. Here's a link with more information about Malachi's condition and how to help the family.
http://www.gofundme.com/f73zjc

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Thank you to all who take the time to read the blog about Malachi's progress. He and his family are very brave and determined.

As you read about what's happened, you may begin to think about how Shaquille has been quietly coping with this in the background while he goes about the strenuous demands of being a Division I student athlete.

Donations are coming in, but anyone who's gone through cancer treatment knows that this first total set as a goal is only the beginning.

Any contribution is appreciated.... and complies with NCAA rules.... your donation will not trigger any investigations!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Coverage of how the team is supporting Shaquille and his family while his 7 yo brother undergoes cancer treatment.
http://balldurham.com/2014/10/01/duke-football-team-bands-together-brother-shaquille-powell/

weezie
10-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Hey all you kooks, let's help our man Shaqille and his family!
Make me proud!

ricks68
10-03-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm in. Ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-03-2014, 12:28 PM
I'm in. Ricks
Thank you!

ChillinDuke
10-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Done.

Good luck, Malachi.

- Chillin

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Done.

Good luck, Malachi.

- Chillin

Thank you so much!

MCFinARL
10-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Donation made; it looks like Malachi is getting near the initial $20,000. Hope his treatment goes well.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Donation made; it looks like Malachi is getting near the initial $20,000. Hope his treatment goes well.
Thank you so much!

ChillinDuke
10-06-2014, 11:48 AM
For anyone interested, I received an email this morning that they met the $20,000 goal.

Great stuff.

- Chillin

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-06-2014, 12:56 PM
For anyone interested, I received an email this morning that they met the $20,000 goal.

Great stuff.

- Chillin
Yes, that will cover the first round of bills.

weezie
10-06-2014, 04:49 PM
What a darling little boy! Go Malachi, GO!!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Thank you to all who have donated to this fund for Malachi's treatment. Please keep the prayers going. Cancer is tough anytime. It's especially tough when a young child is the one who is suffering.

left_hook_lacey
10-06-2014, 06:45 PM
What a cute, brave little guy. I come on this board, and others, to read about recruits, and trivial sports related anecdotes. Then, I read a story like Malachi's, and everything seems so insignificant when compared to what this young man and his family are faced with. And he's just one of many.

Donation made.

Prayers for you everyday little man, hang in there.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-06-2014, 07:14 PM
What a cute, brave little guy. I come on this board, and others, to read about recruits, and trivial sports related anecdotes. Then, I read a story like Malachi's, and everything seems so insignificant when compared to what this young man and his family are faced with. And he's just one of many.

Donation made.

Prayers for you everyday little man, hang in there.

Thank you for helping!

weezie
10-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Bump!

weezie
10-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Come on my peeps, let's keep this thread up there. Malachi had a day long transfusion today and it would be nice to send the family some good wishes and donations!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Malachi developed some problems during the night last night and went to the ER. He's been admitted to the hospital for additional tests and treatment. The most recent developments (you can read the update on the fund raiser page) are not what was anticipated with a Wilms tumor. His mother (Shaquille's mom) will be out of work on an unpaid leave of absence while the family fights Malachi's cancer. Bottom line is that their need for financial assistance has escalated.

Here's a link to read the update and if you are so moved, to donate to help Shaquille's family deal with the crisis.

The family had planned to fly to Durham tomorrow to spend some time with Shaq and attend the game on Saturday. That trip has been postponed.

sagegrouse
10-17-2014, 06:18 AM
Malachi developed some problems during the night last night and went to the ER. He's been admitted to the hospital for additional tests and treatment. The most recent developments (you can read the update on the fund raiser page) are not what was anticipated with a Wilms tumor. His mother (Shaquille's mom) will be out of work on an unpaid leave of absence while the family fights Malachi's cancer. Bottom line is that their need for financial assistance has escalated.

Here's a link to read the update and if you are so moved, to donate to help Shaquille's family deal with the crisis.

The family had planned to fly to Durham tomorrow to spend some time with Shaq and attend the game on Saturday. That trip has been postponed.
I am sorry to hear about Malachi's setback. THank you, DiTBD, for highlighting this need in the Duke family. I was pleased to be able donate. Here is some background from the Mayo Clinic:

Wilms' tumor is a rare kidney cancer that primarily affects children. Also known as nephroblastoma, Wilms' tumor is the most common cancer of the kidneys in children. Wilms' tumor most often affects children ages 3 to 4 and becomes much less common after age 5.

Wilms' tumor most often occurs in just one kidney, though it can sometimes be found in both kidneys at the same time.

Improvements in the diagnosis and treatment of Wilms' tumor have improved the prognosis for children with this disease. The outlook for most children with Wilms' tumor is very good.

weezie
10-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Come now! We need this way up here at the top!

Malachi is battling, so let's not forget that he needs our help!

MCFinARL
05-24-2015, 01:29 PM
Some very sad news as, according to the latest post on the GoFundMe page for Shaquille Powell's little brother Malachi (http://www.gofundme.com/TeamMalachiBriggs?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&utm_content=cta_button&utm_campaign=upd_n), his cancer has now been determined to be inoperable.

Prayers for Malachi, Shaquille and their family, and may the remainder of Malachi's journey on this earth be peaceful and full of love.

Ima Facultiwyfe
05-24-2015, 10:12 PM
I don't know how anyone makes it through something like this. I just don't know. I hope they spoil him rotten and hug each other over and over again every single day. May the entire family find some comfort in the love and admiration that surrounds them.
Love, Ima

weezie
05-25-2015, 02:51 PM
I don't know how anyone makes it through something like this. I just don't know. I hope they spoil him rotten and hug each other over and over again every single day. May the entire family find some comfort in the love and admiration that surrounds them.
Love, Ima

This little boy is one of us. Strength to his family.

DevilWearsPrada
05-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Love, Ima

Well said, Ima. Continued prayers for Malachi and his Mother, and Big Brother, Shaquille. This just breaks my heart to see a young person going through so much.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Early this morning sweet little Malachi passed away.

weezie
06-13-2015, 12:42 PM
God bless his dear soul and his family. What a tough fight he lived through.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-13-2015, 12:53 PM
God bless his dear soul and his family. What a tough fight he lived through.
Tried to give you a spork, but was told I have to spread it around more first.

You are so right!

mattman91
06-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Terrible news. Prayers and good vibes to the Powell family. I can't imagine the pain of losing a loved one that young.

PDDuke85
06-13-2015, 01:22 PM
All thoughts and prayers for Malachi, Shaquille and his entire family. Hoping to see a MB patch on the uniform and sticker on the helmet to honor this little angel.

ChrisP
06-13-2015, 01:25 PM
No words. So very sorry to read this news. Thoughts with Shaq and his family :(

CameronBlue
06-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Hard to make sense of this news. Thoughts and sincere condolences to Shaq and his family.

bluedevil31
06-13-2015, 02:33 PM
My heart breaks to hear this news. My prayers are with the family at this terrible time. I can't imagine what they must be going through.

DukieInKansas
06-13-2015, 05:19 PM
It is so hard to lose a loved one - especially one so young. Condolences to the family.

DevilWearsPrada
06-13-2015, 05:49 PM
All thoughts and prayers for Malachi, Shaquille and his entire family. Hoping to see a MB patch on the uniform and sticker on the helmet to honor this little angel.

That would be so honorable! Continued prayers for the Briggs and Powell families, during their loss. Heaven has received another little precious angel.

http://www.gofundme.com/TeamMalachiBriggs

The family could still use funds for final expenses and incurred medical costs.

sagegrouse
06-13-2015, 07:30 PM
My sincere condolences go to Shaquiile and his family. It is heartbreaking to lose a loved one so young.

ricks68
06-14-2015, 10:07 AM
So sorry to hear this unfortunate news.
Condolences to the entire family.

ricks

Ima Facultiwyfe
06-14-2015, 04:13 PM
I know the Duke basketball family would like to join the football branch in sending condolences to Shaq Powell and his family. Shaq's 7-year-old brother, Malachi, has lost his year long battle with cancer. We hope their sadness is brief and their warmest memories of Malachi are long lasting.
Love, Ima