PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 31, #22 GaT 25

Olympic Fan
09-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Gametimes for Saturday, Oct. 11, were just announced by the ACC. Apparently, one loss translates from prime time to the bottom of the TV totem pole for Duke:

Florida State at Syracuse, ESPN, Noon

Cincinnati at Miami, RSN, Noon

Duke at Georgia Tech, ACC Network, 12:30 p.m.

Louisville at Clemson, ABC, ESPN2 or ESPNU*, 3:30 p.m.

Boston College at NC State, RSN, 3:30 p.m.

North Carolina at Notre Dame, NBC, 3:30 p.m. (previously announced)

All times are Eastern.

* Network to be determined after the games of Oct. 4

BigWayne
09-29-2014, 02:30 PM
The whole ACC is knocked down for that week. There are a bunch of SEC and PAC12 matchups
of ranked teams that will fill all the prime spots.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Gametimes for Saturday, Oct. 11, were just announced by the ACC. Apparently, one loss translates from prime time to the bottom of the TV totem pole for Duke:

Duke at Georgia Tech, ACC Network, 12:30 p.m.

All times are Eastern.

* Network to be determined after the games of Oct. 4
Well, let's just go and beat GT for the first time in forever and we'll be right back at the top of that totem pole! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

BigWayne
09-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Well, let's just go and beat GT for the first time in forever and we'll be right back at the top of that totem pole! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Yes, this would be a wonderful addition to the set of accomplishemnst Cutcliffe and Co. have put together the last few years.

At GT, Duke has 5 wins out of 32 since 1950: 77,81,82,88,94. Time for another!

Bob Green
09-30-2014, 03:42 PM
Issac Blakeney injured his thumb and needs surgery:

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2014/09/30/duke-wr-blakeney-damages-ligament-thumb-looks-hold-surgery

He intends to continue playing and have surgery after the season is over. How will the injury affect his hands?

BigWayne
09-30-2014, 04:47 PM

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2014/09/30/duke-wr-blakeney-damages-ligament-thumb-looks-hold-surgery

He intends to continue playing and have surgery after the season is over. How will the injury affect his hands?

Well at least we have the bye week for some recovery time.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-30-2014, 04:56 PM

As ole Yogi once said.... "This is deja vu all over again." Within the past few years, we had another receiver with similar injury who postponed the procedure until after the season. (Name that player for a free ticket to the next game.) The medical staff is an important component of fielding a team. This isn't the best turn of events, but it may be manageable.

Bob Green
09-30-2014, 04:58 PM
As ole Yogi once said.... "This is deja vu all over again." Within the past few years, we had another receiver with similar injury who postponed the procedure until after the season. (Name that player for a free ticket to the next game.) The medical staff is an important component of fielding a team. This isn't the best turn of events, but it may be manageable.

Cooper Helfet.

Bob Green
09-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Cooper Helfet.

Wrong.

I answered off the top of my head but now know Helfet injured his ankle. I also know who injured their hand but will keep it to myself seeing as I cheated with Google.

CameronBornAndBred
10-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Wrong.

I answered off the top of my head but now know Helfet injured his ankle. I also know who injured their hand but will keep it to myself seeing as I cheated with Google.
Been hanging out on Franklin Street?

Olympic Fan
10-01-2014, 04:52 PM

I was just told by a Duke staffer that this report totally wrong -- that Blakeney has no suffered an injury of any kind. He's fine physically -- no hand or thumb injury whatsoever.

-jk
10-01-2014, 05:17 PM
The Chomicle strikes again or intentional misinformation? Enquiring minds want to know!

(Thanks, Oly!)

-jk

Bob Green
10-01-2014, 06:50 PM
I was just told by a Duke staffer that this report totally wrong -- that Blakeney has no suffered an injury of any kind. He's fine physically -- no hand or thumb injury whatsoever.

Thank you! And once again it is proven just because you read it on the Internet doesn't mean it is true.

CameronBornAndBred
10-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I'm just happy we are playing at 12:30. Sets us up nicely for an afternoon tailgate for UVA.

Bizarre on the Blakeney reports. We've had enough injuries so far this year, and while I understand the enthusiasm for burning redshirts and "winning now" (which I agree with, this is truly a must win year for recruiting), I loathe the idea of making the wins happen with guys that haven't played yet.

BigWayne
10-01-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm just happy we are playing at 12:30. Sets us up nicely for an afternoon tailgate for UVA.

Why would what time we play GT have anything to do with the time of the UVA game? I thought TV was driving the decisions to which teams they think draw the most eyeballs. Day of the UVA game there are 4 top 25 vs. top 25 matchups that will grab the choice spots most likely, especially ND at FSU.

awhom111
10-01-2014, 09:59 PM
ACC and Raycom PR would tell you that this game will be available in more households than ESPNU and freely available online. The SEC Network can be thanked for that. If I have nothing better to do, I will calculate the DMA availability.

Here is the list of stations broadcasting the game as there are even more places that will get the game than previous years:
http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/acc-network-affiliates-for-october-11-duke-at-georgia-tech-2014-10-01

The blackout map will not likely to be available until late next week, although it will be online through the ACC website, so ESPN3 is not really an issue.

sagegrouse
10-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Thank you! And once again it is proven just because you read it on the Internet doesn't mean it is true.

I just got an inside report, Bob Green, that Admiral Yamamoto and his fleet are steaming toward Midway Island. Better send the US carriers to intercept.

CameronBornAndBred
10-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Why would what time we play GT have anything to do with the time of the UVA game? I thought TV was driving the decisions to which teams they think draw the most eyeballs. Day of the UVA game there are 4 top 25 vs. top 25 matchups that will grab the choice spots most likely, especially ND at FSU.
This is in no way a rule..we might wind up totally screwed with a noon kick, so I'm knocking on wood. But generally, teams don't get back to back early games. Beating GT will help tons in this regard, of course.

uh_no
10-01-2014, 11:09 PM
Thank you! And once again it is proven just because you read it in the student newspaper doesn't mean it is true.

have their offices been infiltrated by our terrible neighbors to the south?

OldPhiKap
10-02-2014, 07:16 AM
"Dewey Defeats Truman!"

devildeac
10-02-2014, 09:29 AM
"Dewey Defeats Truman!"

That was not on the internet, therefore, not true:D.

OldPhiKap
10-02-2014, 09:31 AM

It was from the Chicago Tribune's on-line version.

And you can believe that, because you've now read it on the internet.

devildeac
10-02-2014, 09:58 AM
It was from the Chicago Tribune's on-line version.

And you can believe that, because you've now read it on the internet.

They were (waaaay) ahead of their time. Dang, I even read the McCullough biography about ol' Harry and didn't get it right. :o

DukieInKansas
10-02-2014, 11:51 AM
"Dewey Defeats Truman!"

This was referenced on the local news as MLB posted a headline that the Royals had lost to the As. OOOPS! People shouldn't count Missouri folks out until the final results are in.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/mlb-com-mistakenly-posts-that-the-royals-lost-to-the-as

TruBlu
10-02-2014, 01:34 PM
"Dewey Defeats Truman!"

Dewey invented the internet! (Or am I confusing him with someone else who almost won an election?)

OldPhiKap
10-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Dewey invented the internet! (Or am I confusing him with someone else who almost won an election?)

Although Dewey did not invent the internet, he did create a decimal system that was the envy of the Library of Congress.

devildeac
10-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Although Dewey did not invent the internet, he did create a decimal system that was the envy of the Library of Congress.

So, what's your point? (some folks might have to think about that for a moment;))

And, just to get this near topic, I hope Cut and the gang are really focused this week and next. Time to rid ourselves of another monkey.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-02-2014, 03:01 PM
It's Thursday afternoon. Where's the injury report? Have I missed it?

Olympic Fan
10-02-2014, 03:03 PM

No injury report on an off-week ...

devildeac
10-02-2014, 03:03 PM

I wonder whether we'll (be required to) release one considering we don't have a game this weekend. ;)

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-02-2014, 03:39 PM
I wonder whether we'll (be required to) release one considering we don't have a game this weekend. ;)
I realize it's not required... just don't want to miss any information. I've been distracted by a small crisis... water dispenser in the frig sprayed all the cabinets. Only fix was to turn off water line. Had to replace old frig.

CameronBornAndBred
10-02-2014, 11:39 PM
I realize it's not required... just don't want to miss any information. I've been distracted by a small crisis... water dispenser in the frig sprayed all the cabinets. Only fix was to turn off water line. Had to replace old frig.
Hoping your injury report, and the team's, are both lessened by next week.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Hoping your injury report, and the team's, are both lessened by next week.
All is well. New frig is chillin'.

bbosbbos
10-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Pleas help.

TruBlu
10-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Pleas help.

You will probably have better luck finding it on tv next week. Our game with Bye this week is not televised. ;)

Duvall
10-04-2014, 01:17 PM
You will probably have better luck finding it on tv next week. Our game with Bye this week is not televised. ;)

But odds are it will be on whatever channel is showing VPI-UNC right now.

awhom111
10-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Pleas help.

Where are you located? That makes a difference. I posted the link to the entire list of stations carrying the game earlier in the thread.

CameronBornAndBred
10-04-2014, 06:20 PM
But odds are it will be on whatever channel is showing VPI-UNC right now.
Here in New Bern, that game was not available. But following the score was fun.

Olympic Fan
10-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Georgia Tech's victory over Miami Saturday raises the stakes for Saturday's game.

The Jackets are off to a 2-0 start in the ACC and have beaten Virginia Tech and Miami. If they add Duke, they'll be awfully hard to catch in the Coastal race ... they still have a home game with Clemson, plus Coastal foes Virginia, North Carolina and Pitt , but if they get by us, it's going to be hard for Duke to recover. I know we started 0-2 in the ACC last year and won the division, but I can't see that happening again.

This is a must win ... or else we have to lower our expectations.

Bob Green
10-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Duke is struggling with a "Hand, Foot and Mouth" virus:

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/duke/x532295755/Virus-bedevils-Duke-as-Georgia-Tech-looms

While the team was off on Friday and Saturday, a professional cleaning service disinfected the team’s facilities hoping to stem the virus’ spread.

devildeac
10-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Duke is struggling with a "Hand, Foot and Mouth" virus:

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/duke/x532295755/Virus-bedevils-Duke-as-Georgia-Tech-looms

Just what we need, a rampant viral infection to decimate the team like the one that did a week or two before the Richmond game a few years back:mad:.

CameronBornAndBred
10-05-2014, 11:39 PM
GT is ranked now at 22 (23 coaches). This is a great opportunity for our guys to step up and show we are a team to be reckoned with. They marched all over Miami, dominating the clock by running, running, and running some more.
This is the perfect game for which to have had the bye week to prepare. This is truly a must win game if we want to repeat as Coastal champs.

Bob Green
10-06-2014, 05:12 AM
They marched all over Miami, dominating the clock by running, running, and running some more.

Especially in the 2nd half:

1. GT outscored Miami 14-3 over final two quarters
2. Miami only had three possessions: FG, punt after 5 plays, interception
3. GT ran 37 plays compared to Miami's 24 plays
4. And that completely overrated, useless stat, Time of Possession: GT had the ball for 21 of 30 minutes.

Turnovers and/or "3 and out" possessions cannot happen against GT. Offensive efficiency will be a must on Saturday in Atlanta.

budwom
10-06-2014, 08:57 AM
As someone on another board noted, this is our annual root canal game. Just a very bad matchup for us.

GT now a 6 pt favorite....I see no way we get that close, as much as it hurts me to say it.

To win we'll have to vastly improve on offense and rely on GT making mistakes on offense (penalties, fumbles).
Otherwise I think we're looking at a 38-14 level dismantling....I'm still optimistic about the season, but this is a bad, bad matchup for us.

CameronBornAndBred
10-06-2014, 10:42 AM
To win we'll have to vastly improve on offense and rely on GT making mistakes on offense (penalties, fumbles).

This may sound odd, but I think what applies to them applies to us. I think we do have a solid offense, one that went out and had an absolutely miserable outing against Miami. If WE are the ones to cut down on our mistakes then we will be ok when we have the ball. I'm much more worried how we'll handle them when THEY have the ball.

devildeac
10-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Especially in the 2nd half:

1. GT outscored Miami 14-3 over final two quarters
2. Miami only had three possessions: FG, punt after 5 plays, interception
3. GT ran 37 plays compared to Miami's 24 plays
4. And that completely overrated, useless stat, Time of Possession: GT had the ball for 21 of 30 minutes.

Turnovers and/or "3 and out" possessions cannot happen against GT. Offensive efficiency will be a must on Saturday in Atlanta.

This is a (the) game where I think we'll really, really miss Kelby.

CameronBornAndBred
10-06-2014, 12:34 PM

Bizarre on the Blakeney reports. We've had enough injuries so far this year, and while I understand the enthusiasm for burning redshirts and "winning now" (which I agree with, this is truly a must win year for recruiting), I loathe the idea of making the wins happen with guys that haven't played yet.

This is in no way a rule..we might wind up totally screwed with a noon kick, so I'm knocking on wood. But generally, teams don't get back to back early games. Beating GT will help tons in this regard, of course.
Well so much for my theory. We got a 12:30 kick for UVA. :mad:

devildeac
10-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Well so much for my theory. We got a 12:30 kick for UVA. :mad:

I'm happy as can be about a 1230 KO for UVa as we'll head to Winston-Salem after the game for a 30th birthday party for our son at 6 PM that night:D.
French toast casserole, bizkits, fruit, assorted pastries and smoked salmon, bagels and cream cheese for breakfast/brunch please;). With the appropriate Ymm, beer (thread) beverages, of course. :cool:

A victory over the bumblebees would be a nice appetizer.

TruBlu
10-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Just a "Way too early, the weathermen are usually wrong anyway" warning, but if y'all are coming to Atlanta for the game, bring an umbrella (with a wooden . . . not metal) shaft.

" . . . 60% chance of a few thunder showers". (Whatever that means. Does it mean a 60% chance that we get a few, but a 120% chance we get one?)

chrishoke
10-06-2014, 11:48 PM
I'LL take rain and a messy field - I think it improves our chances.

TruBlu
10-08-2014, 08:58 AM
I'LL take rain and a messy field - I think it improves our chances.

The football weather gods heard you and have changed their prediction so as to not give the Devils any advantage.

The forecast now is for 85 degrees, only a 10% chance of rain, and plentiful sun. Still bring your umbrella, but now it is needed to block the midday sun.

devildeac
10-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Posted in the Football Notes thread, too, but thinking I might get a few more "hits" here and some clarification.

Ok, I've got a real question now. Every time we play GT, the reference is made to their "cutting and chopping." I understand this rule was most likely instituted to prevent severe leg injuries to the defensive players. So, what exactly constitutes legal and illegal blocking in their schemes/teaching/execution as taught/coached by Paul Johnson? And, considering we complain about it so much, why do officials not penalize it much more frequently?

AncientPsychicT
10-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Posted in the Football Notes thread, too, but thinking I might get a few more "hits" here and some clarification.

Ok, I've got a real question now. Every time we play GT, the reference is made to their "cutting and chopping." I understand this rule was most likely instituted to prevent severe leg injuries to the defensive players. So, what exactly constitutes legal and illegal blocking in their schemes/teaching/execution as taught/coached by Paul Johnson? And, considering we complain about it so much, why do officials not penalize it much more frequently?

Here is my understanding of the chop-block rule and what is and isn't allowed:

- When approaching a free defender, players are allowed to block them in any way that does not involve restricting movement with their hands or impacting the defender's face in some way. This includes 'cutting' or 'chopping,' i.e. going for the legs to trip the defender.
- Players are NOT allowed to cut/chop an opponent that is already engaged up high by another blocker. This is a chop block penalty, a personal foul, that penalizes the offense 15 yards.

In simpler words: When the defender is unblocked, you can chop them. When they are being blocked by someone else, you can't. (Well, you can, but it's a 15-yard penalty ;))

devildeac
10-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Here is my understanding of the chop-block rule and what is and isn't allowed:

- When approaching a free defender, players are allowed to block them in any way that does not involve restricting movement with their hands or impacting the defender's face in some way. This includes 'cutting' or 'chopping,' i.e. going for the legs to trip the defender.
- Players are NOT allowed to cut/chop an opponent that is already engaged up high by another blocker. This is a chop block penalty, a personal foul, that penalizes the offense 15 yards.

In simpler words: When the defender is unblocked, you can chop them. When they are being blocked by someone else, you can't. (Well, you can, but it's a 15-yard penalty ;))

Noted. Makes sense. Thanks!

awhom111
10-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Here are your options:

http://espngameplan.espn.com/images/maps/10-11-14_Duke___Georgia_Tech.jpg

Area in black:
-One of the stations in the list linked in the other post I made earlier in the thread
-Online through the ACC: http://theacc.co/FBLive14DUKEvsGT

Area in green:
-One of the stations in the list linked in the other post I made earlier in the thread
-Online through the ACC as mentioned above
-ESPN3
-ESPN GamePlan

Thanks to the ending of syndication OTA in other conference, the ACC is getting in more households via television than ever before. The final tally of DMAs includes coverage in 120 out of Nielsen's 210 covering 89.88 Million households or approximately 78.97%. It includes all top ten markets (not helpful to #11 Phoenix)

gep
10-09-2014, 12:56 AM
I heard on the radio today coming home from work that Coach Cut said something that offended Coach Paul Johnson... something to the effect like the triple-option is hard to recruit top talent. Coach Johnson said something to the effect that Coach Cut should worry about his own program. After which Coach Cut apologized. That's all I know...:confused: Adds fuel to someone's fire? or both?

Bob Green
10-09-2014, 05:04 AM

Duke FB Equipment @DukeFBEquipment · 12h 12 hours ago

Rocking a combo @Duke_FB has never worn before! #dukegang #uniswag

Atldukie79
10-09-2014, 08:43 AM

So if this post confirms the black (and blue) unis for Saturday...I am not a fan for 2 reasons...

1) I do not care for the black unis...we are Blue and White! (Yes I am over 50 :) )
2) A mid day game in Atlanta with forecasts in the 80's...might be a wee bit warm in the dark colors...I will be at the game and will wear blue and white (mostly white)

Mostly though, I am concerned about our run defense. I don't think we get enough penetration from our D line to disrupt the option attack.

Bob Green
10-09-2014, 07:31 PM
I don't think we get enough penetration from our D line to disrupt the option attack.

We are going to have to take some chances to try and create turnovers. Look for Jeremy Cash and Deondre Singleton to be disruptive in run support. Here is my stab at a game preview:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/10/duke-georgia-tech-preview/

Duke cannot afford to allow the Yellow Jackets to establish offensive rhythm and grind out multiple, time consuming, points producing possessions, so the defense will need to take chances to create turnovers.

The offense must execute much better than they did in Miami or it is going to be a long afternoon in Atlanta.

sagegrouse
10-09-2014, 07:36 PM
We are going to have to take some chances to try and create turnovers. Look for Jeremy Cash and Deondre Singleton to be disruptive in run support. Here is my stab at a game preview:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/10/duke-georgia-tech-preview/

The offense must execute much better than they did in Miami or it is going to be a long afternoon in Atlanta.

BTW, Georgia Tech is now -3.5 on the betting line per ESPN. Judging from the tenor of the comments here (is there such a thing as the "soprano" of remarks?), most would give the points.

Optimistically, Sage

devildeac
10-09-2014, 08:47 PM
I heard on the radio today coming home from work that Coach Cut said something that offended Coach Paul Johnson... something to the effect like the triple-option is hard to recruit top talent. Coach Johnson said something to the effect that Coach Cut should worry about his own program. After which Coach Cut apologized. That's all I know...:confused: Adds fuel to someone's fire? or both?

I can imagine what kind of handshake that'll be after the game.:rolleyes:

devildeac
10-09-2014, 08:51 PM
BTW, Georgia Tech is now -3.5 on the betting line per ESPN. Judging from the tenor of the comments here (is there such a thing as the "soprano" of remarks?), most would give the points.

Optimistically, Sage

I'm surprised the line is that small. They beat us last year at our joint, 38-14, IIRC. Plus, transitive property not withstanding, they beat Miami last Saturday 28-17.

Olympic Fan
10-09-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm surprised the line is that small. They beat us last year at our joint, 38-14, IIRC. Plus, transitive property not withstanding, they beat Miami last Saturday 28-17.

(1) They've beaten Duke every year that Cut has been here, but last year's rout was the first game Anthony Boone missed after his injury at Memphis. Connette was not very good in that game. Was that Tech's defense or his struggles in his first real start at QB?

(2) And if you are going to cite the differences in the Miami games this year, you should also include the fact that Duke was 17 points better against Tulane than Georgia Tech (GT beat the Wave 38-21; Duke beat the Wave 47-13)

Actually, I am also a bit surprised by the spread. I thought the Georgia Tech team I watched play its first three games was not very good -- they struggled early against Wofford and Tulane, then had to score a last-second touchdown to beat Georgia Southern. But ten they had an off week and since then, they've looked much more formidable, beating Virginia Tech (in Blacksburg) and Miami.

I just hope our off-week has the same positive impact.

budwom
10-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Just a bad matchup for us. We'll need to score 30+ to win, I don't us stopping their run game unless they fumble a few times, which they tend
not to do. Sperry Univac says we lose 38-17.

sagegrouse
10-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Just a bad matchup for us. We'll need to score 30+ to win, I don't us stopping their run game unless they fumble a few times, which they tend

Can't trust those vacuum tubes! Or those 80-character Hollerith cards.

BigWayne
10-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Can't trust those vacuum tubes! Or those 80-character Hollerith cards.
I always trusted the cards, but the reader in the engineering building sometimes missed the first column so it couldn't be trusted. Had to go to the sociology building, where I always got funny looks for some reason.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Here's a link to the motivational video for this game:
http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=65612&id=3466392

Enjoy!:cool:

jimsumner
10-10-2014, 05:33 PM

Is Sperry Univac giving 21 points?

DU82
10-11-2014, 09:54 AM
It's gameday, need to bump this up.

Currently 72 and overcast at near the airport, hopefully it'll clear up. Vi would imagine that rain would make it even tougher for us. The D won't have the traction to best defend the triple option, and on offense, slippery footballs makes it more difficult to pass and catch.

In all the years since I came to Duke, this is the first game I'll see on the GT campus. I've watched us play bball in the Omni, and The Dome, but somehow missed games at Alexander or Grant Field. Hoping for a good outcome today.

budwom
10-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Is Sperry Univac giving 21 points?

I tried running the Sperry Univac again and the lights dimmed for the entire county, so I had to stop.

Knowing Sperry as I do, I think he'd be giving 14 points on this one.

jimsumner
10-11-2014, 12:01 PM
It's gameday, need to bump this up.

Currently 72 and overcast at near the airport, hopefully it'll clear up. Vi would imagine that rain would make it even tougher for us. The D won't have the traction to best defend the triple option, and on offense, slippery footballs makes it more difficult to pass and catch.

In all the years since I came to Duke, this is the first game I'll see on the GT campus. I've watched us play bball in the Omni, and The Dome, but somehow missed games at Alexander or Grant Field. Hoping for a good outcome today.

Believe it or not but most coaches maintain that a wet field helps a passing team. The receiver knows when and where he wants to cut on the wet field and the defender does not.

riverside6
10-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Live stats, play analysis, and more for Duke/GT...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-georgia-tech-football-live-stats-10112014

uh_no
10-11-2014, 12:48 PM
good job by the D to hold them to 3. lets get the O rolling though.

uh_no
10-11-2014, 12:50 PM
and as we're keeping track, the first drive was

prppp (passing on bot first downs)

it appears at least early on that we are reluctant to run the ball...

bbosbbos
10-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Very bad passing.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Why are the announcers making apologies for that hit? Looked vicious and dangerous to me.

uh_no
Very bad passing.

yeah...but huge first down, and now big break on the penalty

bbosbbos
Josh played well.

ChrisP
10-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Nice pass by Boone! Ironically, it was probably his most difficult throw all day and he threaded it in there when he needed to. Here's hoping he can find some of that accuracy going forward as he missed some much easier throws earlier. Receivers are getting open so...gotta hit them when they are. Running game looking strong, too, which should help take some pressure off of Boone. Go Duke!!! :cool:

bbosbbos
10-11-2014, 01:07 PM
This will be a high score game.

Duvall
10-11-2014, 01:07 PM
...and that's why you kick for the touchback.

bbosbbos
10-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Very stupid holding. Why?

arnie
10-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Very stupid holding. Why?

Yea, the O continues to stutter and stop. Not the unit we thought in preseason. Least the D looks better.

uh_no
10-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Yea, the O continues to stutter and stop. Not the unit we thought in preseason. Least the D looks better.

looking pretty good now....

Duvall
10-11-2014, 01:40 PM
I mean, that *should* be legal.

grossbus
Suggest we stop throwing in the flat right now. Next one is likely to become an INT.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Two great drives by the O. iIf we can keep pressure on them by scoring and keeping them out of the end zone, we might put them in some awkward positions.

Like what I am seeing.

Zeb
10-11-2014, 01:45 PM
We have put ourselves in extremely long yardage situations a few times in this game, and then we have made a really great play to recover. Great resilience so far from the team. If we can keep running it well, I like our chances of pulling this off.

bbosbbos
10-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Mistackle is a problem. We need to do better.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Great stop on the conversion.

Really like the stuff our defense is showing today against a top 25 team with a tough, tough offense

uh_no
10-11-2014, 01:57 PM

Really like the stuff our defense is showing today against a top 25 team with a tough, tough offense

yeah, shame they couldn't keep them out of the endzone, but still a pretty good effort....that QB run on third and 4 from the 25 killed us.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-11-2014, 01:58 PM

I agree. There's been a lot of hand wringing over the D, but their performance today is one of quiet strength. Hat tip to Coach Knowles!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 02:05 PM
yeah, shame they couldn't keep them out of the endzone, but still a pretty good effort....that QB run on third and 4 from the 25 killed us.

I would argue that we did. Never saw a replay where they broke the goal line on the TD, and stuffed them on the conversion!

uh_no
10-11-2014, 02:09 PM
I would argue that we did. Never saw a replay where they broke the goal line on the TD, and stuffed them on the conversion!

i think the ball was out of bounds when he crossed the plane, but without a good top down camera, no chance that play is overturned

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 02:10 PM
i think the ball was out of bounds when he crossed the plane, but without a good top down camera, no chance that play is overturned

I don't disagree. Just pointing out that Tech has not been in the end zone.

Technicality, yes. But still...

DU82
10-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Second half delayed by lightning in the area. Teams back to the locker room.

NovaScotian
10-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Second half delayed by lightning in the area. Teams back to the locker room.

so what exactly is happening - did i hear right that they're emptying the stadium?

Duvall
10-11-2014, 02:28 PM
so what exactly is happening - did i hear right that they're emptying the stadium?

Lightning, rain, fans have been sent to their vehicles, teams to their locker rooms.

devildeac
10-11-2014, 02:29 PM

Fans have been told to evacuate. If I was there, I'd put a few $$ on their MARTA cards and tell them to have a good time at the Aquarium or in Underground:p.

cato
10-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Any idea when (if?) they will be able to resume? I just have a blnk screen on Espn3

DU82
10-11-2014, 02:44 PM

There's enough cover underneath the stands for most. The GT fans have more options as I imagine they parked closer. Raining pretty hard and just heard a boom of thunder. Going to take a while.

We'll see if I make my 10pm flight back to RDU. :-)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 02:46 PM
So...

Anyone got a deck of cards?

DU82
10-11-2014, 02:50 PM

There's enough cover underneath the stands for most. The GT fans have more options as I imagine they parked closer. Raining pretty hard and just heard a boom of thunder. Going to take a while.

We'll see if I make my 10pm flight back to RDU. :-)

devildeac
10-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Wonder if we practiced this during our bye week...

;)

DU82
10-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Rain just about stopped, but lightning still in the area.. Not far enough away. I'll post when they let people back in. (If I get a good connection...sorry for the double post.)

DU82
10-11-2014, 03:05 PM
We're allowed back in the stands. Waiting on the clock to be reset from zero to tell us how much warmup time the teams will have. Sun's now out. Going to be pretty humid for the 2nd half!

DU82
10-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Game will start no earlier than 3:27pm

uh_no
10-11-2014, 03:12 PM
We're allowed back in the stands. Waiting on the clock to be reset from zero to tell us how much warmup time the teams will have. Sun's now out. Going to be pretty humid for the 2nd half!

you guys missed some great dadgum plays on the ACC network

devildeac
10-11-2014, 03:27 PM
about 5 min to KO.

DU82
10-11-2014, 03:30 PM
I'll watch the many Notre Dame highlights when I get home late tonight.

devildeac
10-11-2014, 03:31 PM
I'll watch the many Notre Dame highlights when I get home late tonight.

Hopefully Duke will have a few this half;).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Great start! Way to take the balls away.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Nevermind

uh_no
10-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Great start! Way to take the balls away.

ugh...almost given away too

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 03:37 PM
ugh...almost given away too

Was going to say.... waited 90 minutes for THAT??

uh_no
10-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Was going to say.... waited 90 minutes for THAT??

phew. too close.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 03:40 PM
I really like our running game this year

uh_no
10-11-2014, 03:46 PM
I really like our running game this year

for sure! which makes it all the more baffling why it was so seldom used last week. play calling today has been much better.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Why are we not kicking through the back of the end zone?

uh_no
10-11-2014, 03:51 PM
abymsmal kick off coverage....it's been relatively poor all season...might be time to start thinking about kicking it for a Touch back...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Wow. Tech's offense isn't great in long yardage situations.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Wow, best almost-completion of the day. Great pass, great route by Crowder, beautiful bomb.... and even better coverage by GaTech

ChrisP
10-11-2014, 03:59 PM
:cool:
for sure! which makes it all the more baffling why it was so seldom used last week. play calling today has been much better.

I thought most all the plays - both running and passing were seldom used last week. Truly weird stuff...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 03:59 PM
I am not sure if I have ever seen this many passes knocked down in a game.

What is the explanation?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Great pick! They don't play well from behind.

I can hear Duke fans in ATL!

uh_no
10-11-2014, 04:10 PM
I am not sure if I have ever seen this many passes knocked down in a game.

What is the explanation?

Rambling Wreck upgrade provides +10 to pass knock down

ChrisP
10-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Hope Cash is ok - where would our D be without him?

Great pick though to keep GT from getting any points. Let's go Duke!!! Really proud of our running game today.

uh_no
10-11-2014, 04:12 PM

Great pick though to keep GT from getting any points. Let's go Duke!!! Really proud of our running game today.

call it and haul it!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 04:27 PM
I felt Thomas tossing the ball out of sacks was going to catch up with him!

Huge play. Finish it!

fisheyes
10-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Gotta love this team! Way to go Duke!

DukeHLM'13
10-11-2014, 04:37 PM
The game should be on locally for me, but the station is out on DirecTV and the game is blacked out on ESPN3, so...

Obviously the score is very nice, but how has the team looked so far? The box score makes it look like its been an at least fairly even game with the big difference being the 2 turnovers for GT to none for us.

uh_no
10-11-2014, 04:40 PM
The game should be on locally for me, but the station is out on DirecTV and the game is blacked out on ESPN3, so...

Obviously the score is very nice, but how has the team looked so far? The box score makes it look like its been an at least fairly even game with the big difference being the 2 turnovers for GT to none for us.

good. really good.

dball
10-11-2014, 04:46 PM

Cash is money!!

JetpackJesus
10-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Cut blocking is crap. Hate that garbage.

uh_no
10-11-2014, 05:01 PM
whoof...too close for comfort....

great play both sides of teh ball, last few minutes not withstanding....and the kick return coverage

dukebballcamper90-91
10-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Way to go #dukegang

nyesq83
10-11-2014, 05:04 PM
From nervous excitement to nervous breakdown almost...Go Duke!

richardjackson199
10-11-2014, 05:05 PM
I'm very impressed with our performance. Huge win. That was the statement game I was asking for. No question Cut has Duke playing on a different level, and he's sustaining it. This could be a very good year.

Native
10-11-2014, 05:06 PM
I've lost about five years off my life, but what a win!

Big-time game next week against the Hoos at Wallace Wade. 12PM kick is discouraging, but it's Homecoming and a big game so students should be there.

Bob Green
10-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Game ball to the defense! An outstanding performance on both sides of the ball. Go Duke!!!

uh_no
10-11-2014, 05:07 PM

Big-time game next week against the Hoos at Wallace Wade. 12PM kick is discouraging, but it's Homecoming and a big game so students should be there.

why? high of 75. ought to be beautiful.

Native
10-11-2014, 05:09 PM
why? high of 75. ought to be beautiful.

I'm thinking solely in terms of student turnout.

College students are lazy.

sagegrouse
10-11-2014, 05:10 PM

No problem. We had it the whole way. Interesting that I had to tape the game and watched it from the beginning, about two hours late. But I caught up -- thanks to the storm delay and watched the last eight minutes live. Question: Can one jinx a game through weauxfing comments when the game is on tape delay? I mean, doesn't that require extreme space-time warping?

Wander
10-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Game ball to the defense!

Most important play of the game to me: our linebacker reading the 2 point conversion attempt correctly to make the halftime score a small Duke lead instead of a tie. Georgia Tech playing from behind is a whole different mentality than otherwise.

bbosbbos
10-11-2014, 05:14 PM
That 3 INTs made the difference. Our D was very impressive after their 1st FG.

HK Dukie
10-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Was watching the game on ESPN Player and of course windows update does a mandatory "DOWNgrade" to 8.1. We were up 31-12. This update finishes, I look at the score theres 1:27 on the clock and its 31-25.

Can someone please explain what happened with this backup QB for Tech?

Anyways, we are a 4th quarter team so I dislike getting outscored then. Always good to finish strong. Despite that nitpicking, really good play from the 55 minutes I did get to see from the offense and the defense. Very very encouraging. Our RBs are amazing (offensive line plays a large role in that too). Good effort against the run too vs a run first team. Happy times.

AncientPsychicT
10-11-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm thinking solely in terms of student turnout.

College students are hungover.

Fixed it for you. :D

uh_no
10-11-2014, 05:20 PM
while this may be premature:

with today's win vs GT, duke now controls it's own destiny in the coastal division.

if duke were to win out, only they and GT OR Uva would finish with 1 win. Duke would own the tiebreaker against either, head to head.

I believe virginia is the only other team to control it's destiny.
GT needs us to lose
virginia tech could win out, but has already lost to GT
Pitt does not play UVA again
everyone else has mutliple losses

OldSchool
10-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Beating a ranked GT team in Atlanta and doing it by controlling the game with the run is a big psychological breakthrough for the program.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-11-2014, 05:27 PM
b
Was watching the game on ESPN Player and of course windows update does a mandatory "DOWNgrade" to 8.1. We were up 31-12. This update finishes, I look at the score theres 1:27 on the clock and its 31-25.

Can someone please explain what happened with this backup QB for Tech?

Anyways, we are a 4th quarter team so I dislike getting outscored then. Always good to finish strong. Despite that nitpicking, really good play from the 55 minutes I did get to see from the offense and the defense. Very very encouraging. Our RBs are amazing (offensive line plays a large role in that too). Good effort against the run too vs a run first team. Happy times.
We were playing soft D laying back trying to prevent anything big. QB saw a completely different bendbutdontbreak D from us in last 8 minutes. It was not really in doubt.

uh_no
10-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Beating a ranked GT team in Atlanta and doing it by controlling the game with the run is a big psychological breakthrough for the program.

well, we beat ranked VT in blacksburg last year...but i'd argue that was partially flukey....missed FGs and our long ones....we stepped it up, and overpowered them at times today

Native
10-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Fixed it for you. :D

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Of course, I'll probably be among those ranks.

jimsumner
10-11-2014, 05:53 PM
The best part is watching the score on the top-25 scroll over and over and over.

Olympic Fan
10-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Let the Duke-Miami-Georgia Tech matchups over the last two years forever dispel the idea of the transitive property of scores:

A year ago, Georgia Tech beat Duke, Miami beat Georgia Tech and Duke beat Miami

This year, Miami beats Duke, Georgia Tech beats Miami and Duke beats Georgia Tech.

Best thing is that Duke is now one game AHEAD of where we were at this time last year -- 4-2 (0-2) in 2013 ... now 5-1 (1-1).

But I think this emphasizes how balanced the Coastal is. I still think we could win out or lose to anybody we play (with the possible exception of Wake Forest).

It's going to be a wild ride.

DU82
10-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Solid, solid defense today. For the most part,stayed in their zone and didn't allow the long breakaway for a score. Yes, they had some big plays, but they were mostly really good execution by GT.

After a slow start, the offense did what was needed. Good balance between runs and passes. And late, Boone did a great job of running what was essentially an option, giving Tech a dose of their own medicine (yes, technically not an option, but close enough. It chewed up the clock.

Their backup QB is obviously the throwing one, and took what was available, but we made them eat clock there too. As long as we recovered the two onside kicks, we were fine. And we did.

I agree that the key play was stopping their first two point conversion to go into the half with a lead. Then they got to think about it for another 90 minutes. The fumble (and then non-fumble) made them play catch-up, and their regular offense isn't able to sod that.

(At the game, I think their band played their fight song as much as UNCheat does theirs. Every time they played it, I thought of the DUMB Hymnal lyrics, ending with "but get off of me you SOB if you're from UNC!)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Really excited about this team. LOVE our run game. Love our bend-don't-break D. Love the playcalling.

We were a little unprepared for the backup QB, but that is more than understandable.

cato
10-11-2014, 06:28 PM
:cool:

I thought most all the plays - both running and passing were seldom used last week. Truly weird stuff...

They didn't open the playbook at all!

cato
10-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Question: Can one jinx a game through weauxfing comments when the game is on tape delay? I mean, doesn't that require extreme space-time warping?

Karma is not bound by space and time in the same way you and I are. So, yeah.

Thankfully, I was never comfortable, always expecting to lose, somehow. So, weauxf balanced out.

grossbus
10-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Personally, I thought the key plays were the recoveries of the two onside kicks. 😀

Reilly
10-11-2014, 08:24 PM
... the D ... their performance today is one of quiet strength ...

As always, DitBD's real-time analysis is/was astute, sophisticated, "spot-on" (as [some of] the kids say) ...

Reilly
10-11-2014, 08:28 PM
while this may be premature: ... duke now controls [its] own destiny in the coastal division ...

Question I was asked today: if Duke wins out (presuming over FSU in the ACCCG), would it make the CFB playoff? I said 'yes'.

Atldukie79
10-11-2014, 08:50 PM
I have attended the Tech game in Atlanta for the past 28 years.
It seemed like a fairly sparse crowd...perhaps the weakest I recall for this game. The end zone and visitor sides were less than half full. And after the weather delay....the crowd was non-existent. I guess this is happening all over college football.

In any case, I thought Boone recovered quite well from last week. Receivers dropped a few balls early, and yes the double pass...let us not speak of that again. But no TOs, judicious running....a fine game for Boone.

The Dukies and Techsters alike in my vicinity thought going for it on 4th down when we were within Martin's range was a bad call...this before we got stuffed.

I heard one loud fan yell "how about our receivers now, Cutcliffe" after the first tech completion. All and all though, a pleasant crowd to be embedded in if you are a Duke fan.

CameronBornAndBred
10-11-2014, 08:58 PM
I am still soaking it in. :)
Big game this weekend, but one I feel so much better about. Great play today on both sides, I only wish that AB was allowed to score the last TD...that was his; he earned it.

Newton_14
10-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Big win. Really proud of our guys on offense and defense. We have much work to do on the kickoff coverage. Surprised they switched to pooch kicking today vs going for touchbacks. Tech had good/great field position starts all day. Take that away and we beat them more than we did. One other thing. I counted at least four or five times today a situation where I found myself saying if we had Connette, Gela Duncan, and Deaver the play call and outcome would have been different there, or having Kelby would have led to a different outcome on a Tech play. This is a really good team, but they would be quite a bit better with those 4 guys. I know, you have what you have so no use playing the what if game.

Running it down their throats with small running backs was very satisfying today. We ran the same play to the same gap at least 8 times for huge gains and they were helpless to stop it. It got so bad at one point that Tech basically had 8 guys in the box, with no safeties. It looked like the Buddy Ryan 46 Defense. That was their only real success against the run. I was surprised we chose not to burn them with play action pass once they got that desperate. That was the only time all game I was calling for a pass. Our 3 running backs, Boone, and (Sirk on short yardage), were all superb today. The only thing we lack in that regard is a power back (thus the wailing and knashing of teeth over not having Duncan, dadgummit). We also don't throw to our tightends nearly as much as last year. I still have confidence in our passing, but we need to establish the run game in and game out. That will control the clock, take pressure off Boone, and keep the defense guessing such that they cant just lock in on pass rush and pass coverage every down.

Defense was outstanding today against the wishbone. Jeremy is a stud who seemingly never tires and seemingly makes every tackle. Incredible. Need to improve at pass rush, and tackle a little better, but all in all they are a solid group.

The comeback was 90% us being in soft prevent coverage, and 10% refs blowing the safety call, and then giving Tech the ball at the one inch line the play before their last TD when in fact the receiver was already out of bounds when he caught the ball with said ref standing right beside him. It's funny, had the blind ref given him the TD, the play would have been reviewed and easily overturned. First time being kept out of the endzone actually led to the easy TD. Weird.

dukelifer
10-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Boone played much better today. Thought the catch on the onside kick was unbelievable. That had Tech recovery all over it. Great win.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-11-2014, 09:35 PM
As always, DitBD's real-time analysis is/was astute, sophisticated, "spot-on" (as [some of] the kids say) ...
Merci!

"I have seen one or two football games." ~ Olivia Manning

jimsumner
10-11-2014, 10:45 PM
The only thing we lack in that regard is a power back (thus the wailing and knashing of teeth over not having Duncan, dadgummit). We also don't throw to our tightends nearly as much as last year. I still have confidence in our passing, but we need to establish the run game in and game out. That will control the clock, take pressure off Boone, and keep the defense guessing such that they cant just lock in on pass rush and pass coverage every down. .

Getting Powell back will help with the power-running-back equation.

At this point Duke simply does not have confidence in any of its tight ends as receivers. I do not expect that to change this season.

BigWayne
10-12-2014, 04:29 AM
"Those guys just wanted it more than us," Georgia Tech linebacker Quayshawn Neely said. "They knew what was at stake. We knew what was at stake. I give credit where credit is due."

Really happy to hear our team described this way.

tallguy
10-12-2014, 08:32 AM
Question I was asked today: if Duke wins out (presuming over FSU in the ACCCG), would it make the CFB playoff? I said 'yes'.

lol, no. Every other 1 loss Power 5 team would be ahead of Duke, plus any 2 loss (maybe even 3 loss) SEC West team. Even an undefeated Duke squad would probably be passed over due to the combination of an awful non-conference schedule and not playing FSU, Clemson, or Louisville. In fact, in that scenario, FSU would still probably get in the playoff before Duke unless Duke won by 30+.

Ima Facultiwyfe
10-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Yeah, that sounds about right.

Of course, I'll probably be among those ranks.

Behave yourself.
Love, Your Grandmother

johnb
10-12-2014, 10:12 AM
lol, no. Every other 1 loss Power 5 team would be ahead of Duke, plus any 2 loss (maybe even 3 loss) SEC West team. Even an undefeated Duke squad would probably be passed over due to the combination of an awful non-conference schedule and not playing FSU, Clemson, or Louisville. In fact, in that scenario, FSU would still probably get in the playoff before Duke unless Duke won by 30+.

Assuming there aren't 4 or more undefeated teams from other conferences, or some other perfect storm, I'd think any undefeated acc championship team would get into the top 4 playoff--even of the pundits think that team wouldn't finish in the top 4 in the sec west. but a one-loss 2014 duke team has no chance, IMHO.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2014, 12:30 PM
I saw a number of players hobble off the field -- any word on how we survived the chop shop?

budwom
10-12-2014, 12:46 PM
one of the most gratifying wins I can remember.

Olympic Fan
10-12-2014, 12:51 PM

I was agreeing with you right until the end.

There is absolutely no way that one-loss Duke -- with this schedule -- could get in the four-team playoff .. for the reasons you cite.

BUT I think an undefeated Duke team would have had a very good chance at the playoff, depending upon the ACC title game -- not the margin of victory, but upon FSU's status entering the game. If the 'Noles were to come in undefeated, No. 1 and on a 25 game winning streak (which is all very possible) ... then lose to Duke (even by one in OT) ... undefeated Duke would get the bid ahead of FSU, despite the difference in schedule.

But obviously, that can't happen. Duke has a loss and that does kill any chance of this being a playoff team. That's okay ... I'll settle for another 10-win season and another division championship. Then we can think about spoiling FSU's title hopes ... and finally winning a bowl game.

As much as we've improved, I don't think we're there yet in terms of competing for the national title. A few more years with the way Cut is recruiting, then we need to think about toughening up our schedule a bit.

Richard Berg
10-12-2014, 02:26 PM
How bad is Dewalt-Ondigo's leg?

devildeac
10-12-2014, 02:29 PM
one of the most gratifying wins I can remember.

And we won without the 21 points Sperry Univac was giving us:p.

Actually, I share your immense satisfaction with this victory for so many reasons including our improving bending-but-not-breaking defense, Boone engineering the offense very efficiently, protecting the football, timely turnovers, the outstanding play of the OL, special team execution and a host of other compliments. Sure, there are always items to work on but this was quite the accomplishment yesterday in the heat and humidity against a top 25 foe we hadn't beaten at all in about 10 years and, on their turf in 20 years. Well done.

budwom
10-12-2014, 02:48 PM
And we won without the 21 points Sperry Univac was giving us:p.

Actually, I share your immense satisfaction with this victory for so many reasons including our improving bending-but-not-breaking defense, Boone engineering the offense very efficiently, protecting the football, timely turnovers, the outstanding play of the OL, special team execution and a host of other compliments. Sure, there are always items to work on but this was quite the accomplishment yesterday in the heat and humidity against a top 25 foe we hadn't beaten at all in about 10 years and, on their turf in 20 years. Well done.

Ah, mon ami, the Sperry Univac, she is not only a computeur extraordinaire, but also a motivateur psychologique. Her sage reverse juju-ification worked like a charm. Well done, Sperry Univac!

devildeac
10-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Ah, mon ami, the Sperry Univac, she is not only a computeur extraordinaire, but also a motivateur psychologique. Her sage reverse juju-ification worked like a charm. Well done, Sperry Univac!

Perhaps you could even say it was very heady of her to top(per) things off with a prediction like that;).

budwom
10-12-2014, 03:52 PM
In fact there shall be a celebratory Heady Topper sacrificed in approximately 97 minutes....yesterday was a gin and tonic day.

sagegrouse
10-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Duke has the 28th most votes in AP and 29th most in the Coaches poll.

uh_no
10-12-2014, 05:33 PM

hey, that's a nice bounce back after the tragedy in miami. win at UVA, take the division lead outright, and we'll see the light of day.

CameronBornAndBred
10-12-2014, 05:53 PM
I think that is a legit spot, even a little higher than I expected since we fell out of the AP all together last week.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2014, 06:17 PM
We kinda laid an egg in our only national prime time game this year (so far) so I am not surprised. Nor do I think the ranking is too far off.

UVa is a tough challenge this week. They will come ready for revenge. We need to do what won at GT -- few penalties, no turnovers, force mistakes. And a good crowd!!!

chrishoke
10-12-2014, 06:47 PM
We kinda laid an egg in our only national prime time game this year (so far) so I am not surprised. Nor do I think the ranking is too far off.

UVa is a tough challenge this week. They will come ready for revenge. We need to do what won at GT -- few penalties, no turnovers, force mistakes. And a good crowd!!!

And run the damn ball behind our fabulous O-line.

Atldukie79
10-12-2014, 08:08 PM

And run it with the ball in the hands of our fabulous running backs!
Should anyone else in the ACC feel as good about their top 4 running backs as I feel about ours?

devildeac
10-12-2014, 08:23 PM

This, and what the other erudite posters said in the prior 4-5 posts. I'm pretty happy being back in the "others receiving votes" category again. We don't play at uva this year. We got 'em at WW this time. How do I know this? Well, because CB&B will be helping cook this Saturday morning for the True Blue 'Cue Crew again at Devil's Alley;). And we won't lead the Coastal outright (yet;)) if we win but will hold the tiebreaker over the 'hoos and be tied with the Turkeys or Panthers, assuming GT takes care of the Cheaters, which, I assume, (almost) every good Duke fan has as exhibit 9F on their wish list :) .

dragoneye776
10-12-2014, 09:55 PM
There's a lot of what if's out there, but this one would be most interesting.

The score was 31-12 very close to the end of the game. If Duke held onto that score, our average points allowed would currently be 13.3, which would rank #3 in the country.

Wander
10-12-2014, 10:13 PM
The score was 31-12 very close to the end of the game. If Duke held onto that score, our average points allowed would currently be 13.3, which would rank #3 in the country.

We might have had literally the worst non-conference schedule of all ~130 Division 1A teams, so I don't think these kinds of stats are very meaningful. But our defense is quite good.

uh_no
10-12-2014, 10:32 PM
We might have had literally the worst non-conference schedule of all ~130 Division 1A teams, so I don't think these kinds of stats are very meaningful. But our defense is quite good.

well, despite being abysmal on offense 3 weeks ago, we still held up miami for most of the game
and then gave GT fits yesterday....would have been even better if the kick off unit hadn't given up big chunks of yards

there were questions on the defense coming into the year....and this unit is pretty darn good....imagine if we hadn't lost our all conference MLB....

jimsumner
10-13-2014, 11:58 AM

Duke didn't even have the worst non-conference schedule in the Triangle.

Wander
10-13-2014, 12:12 PM

Unless I'm missing something, I assume you're referring to NC State, in which case: yes, Duke's non-conference schedule was actually worse than NCSU's (which was also very weak). The two toughest games out of those combined eight opponents are NC State's home game against Georgia Southern and road game against South Florida. Note that these statements are also supported by computer numbers.

budwom
10-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Unless I'm missing something, I assume you're referring to NC State, in which case: yes, Duke's non-conference schedule was actually worse than NCSU's (which was also very weak). The two toughest games out of those combined eight opponents are NC State's home game against Georgia Southern and road game against South Florida. Note that these statements are also supported by computer numbers.

Yeah, I'm on the same page, Wander. Defense is much improved, lots to feel good about, but the stats are skewed by our OOC schedule.

devildeac
10-13-2014, 12:24 PM

(Honest question with no smartassery intended) What source are you using, Jim?

According to this one, we do:

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/non-conference-sos-by-other

However, according to this one, our neighbors (yours, mine and Duke's:o) in Raleigh do:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/2/26/5401692/2014-college-football-out-of-conference-schedules-best-worst

Wander
10-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Defense is much improved, lots to feel good about, but the stats are skewed by our OOC schedule.

Yeah, I think you need to use conference-only stats for college football because of the wild difference in OOC schedule strength (which is still not equal, but better). I should also note that I don't blame Cutcliffe or Duke for this - one of the many absurd things about the "system" in college football is how far in advance schedules are made. It's impossible to consistently accurately predict how good your opponents and your own team will be that many years in the future.

However, according to this one, our neighbors (yours, mine and Duke's) in Raleigh do:

Note that this is a preseason prediction, and your first link is current. Our opponents basically all turned out to be worse than expected (well, a little bit - I think our issue is more that WE'RE surprisingly good compared to what we'd expect years ago), while Georgia Southern turned out to be surprisingly strong. Same comment as above about the difficulty of predicting schedule strength.

budwom
10-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I think you need to use conference-only stats for college football because of the wild difference in OOC schedule strength (which is still not equal, but better). I should also note that I don't blame Cutcliffe or Duke for this - one of the many absurd things about the "system" in college football is how far in advance schedules are made. It's impossible to consistently accurately predict how good your opponents and your own team will be that many years in the future.

Note that this is a preseason prediction, and your first link is current. Our opponents basically all turned out to be worse than expected (well, a little bit - I think our issue is more that WE'RE surprisingly good compared to what we'd expect years ago), while Georgia Southern turned out to be surprisingly strong. Same comment as above about the difficulty of predicting schedule strength.

I'm totally fine with our current OOC schedule. To keep momentum going we VERY much need to get to bowls (i.e. six wins) each season. That gets us necessary prestige for recruiting, and extra practice time in December.
We do have a few tougher OOC games in the coming years, but for now I'm all in favor of an easy OOC schedule. We also need to keep in mind that Troy is generally pretty good, but is having a bad year.....and Kansas was
very good back when we played them at Kansas...

In future years, if our rate of improvement increases, I could see being more adventurous with the OOC schedule, but for now I think it's highly appropriate.

roywhite
10-13-2014, 02:06 PM
I'm totally fine with our current OOC schedule. To keep momentum going we VERY much need to get to bowls (i.e. six wins) each season. That gets us necessary prestige for recruiting, and extra practice time in December.
We do have a few tougher OOC games in the coming years, but for now I'm all in favor of an easy OOC schedule. We also need to keep in mind that Troy is generally pretty good, but is having a bad year.....and Kansas was

In future years, if our rate of improvement increases, I could see being more adventurous with the OOC schedule, but for now I think it's highly appropriate.

What I'm seeing (these things tend to be subject to change) for future OOC contests are:

Northwestern
Army
NC Central
Tulane

Northwestern
Notre Dame
Army
NC Central

Northwestern
Baylor
Army
NC Central

Duvall
10-13-2014, 02:06 PM

Yeah, college football being a crooked-as-hell sport, strength of schedule only matters if you are a top five team trying to not get left out of the playoff. For everyone else, wins over bad teams are almost as good as wins over good ones.

OldPhiKap
10-13-2014, 02:14 PM
What I'm seeing (these things tend to be subject to change) for future OOC contests are:

Northwestern
Army
NC Central
Tulane

Northwestern
Notre Dame
Army
NC Central

Northwestern
Baylor
Army
NC Central

FWIW, Vanderbuilt's OOC schedule:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sec/vanderbilt-commodores.php

I don't think we're much different OOC than that similarly-situated school.

Our school is not much different in size than Northwestern, Baylor, Tulane or Army. NC Central is a good Durham game that is worth continuing.

Vanderbuilt would be a nice add. But I don't see much point in scheduling Alabama again any time soon, unless/until we become a consistent top-20 team. Then, it would be appropriate to reassess.

Bluedog
10-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Note that the Kansas game was supposedly scheduled when they were a Top 25 team, so it's not like the difficulty of every team in the OOC schedule can be pinpointed when it's set up. Sometimes these games get scheduled years in advance. We had a home-and-away series with Kansas and went to their place in 2009 when they were ranked 22nd in the nation (admittedly, that season they ended with a 7-game skid.) They owed us a return trip and it kept getting pushed back due to scheduling conflicts.

Nugget
10-13-2014, 02:55 PM
If the ACC winner makes it to Playoff, is the Orange Bowl required to pick an ACC team to "replace" it, or would the Orange Bowl be free to pick any of the at-large teams it wants?

Duvall
10-13-2014, 02:57 PM
If the ACC winner makes it to Playoff, is the Orange Bowl required to pick an ACC team to "replace" it, or would the Orange Bowl be free to pick any of the at-large teams it wants?

Yes, the replacement would be an ACC team (http://committee.orangebowl.org/acc-and-orange-bowl-committee-announce-partnership/), although I think it's the playoff selection committee that would make the pick, not the Orange Bowl.

Wander
10-13-2014, 03:51 PM

Yeah, college football being a crooked-as-hell sport, strength of schedule only matters if you are a top five team trying to not get left out of the playoff. For everyone else, wins over bad teams are almost as good as wins over good ones.

Good points guys. The only thing I'd add is: like Duvall pointed out in the other thread, no one really knows how the football committee is going to operate. If they end up valuing strength of schedule and we really are going to be consistently threatening to win 9+ games a season (college me, which I believe saw a total of 4 wins at Duke, can't believe I just wrote that) and thus be contending for spots in those big bowls, that's a relevant thing to keep an eye on.

Bluedog
10-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Good points guys. The only thing I'd add is: like Duvall pointed out in the other thread, no one really knows how the football committee is going to operate. If they end up valuing strength of schedule and we really are going to be consistently threatening to win 9+ games a season (college me, which I believe saw a total of 4 wins at Duke, can't believe I just wrote that) and thus be contending for spots in those big bowls, that's a relevant thing to keep an eye on.

If by "Big Bowls" you mean the College Football Playoff, then yes. If you simply mean the bowls underneath that, doesn't really matter since they're not tasked with picking the "best" teams, just teams they think will make them the most money (or conference champs in which OOC opponents have no bearing on). Obviously, good teams typically deliver good matchups/ratings/money, but not all the time. It's not like the NCAA basketball tournament, which is supposed to choose the most deserving teams. Teams like Michigan and ND will ALWAYS be selected pretty highly (as long as it doesn't run afoul of any conference standing rules) because their fanbases travel well and watch them on TV. Michigan getting picked over MSU for the 2011 Sugar Bowl despite losing to them, not making the B1G championship game, and being ranked lower is a prime example. MSU made the Outback bowl...

Wander
10-13-2014, 04:52 PM
If by "Big Bowls" you mean the College Football Playoff, then yes. If you simply mean the bowls underneath that, doesn't really matter since they're not tasked with picking the "best" teams, just teams they think will make them the most money (or conference champs in which OOC opponents have no bearing on). Obviously, good teams typically deliver good matchups/ratings/money, but not all the time. It's not like the NCAA basketball tournament, which is supposed to choose the most deserving teams. Teams like Michigan and ND will ALWAYS be selected pretty highly (as long as it doesn't run afoul of any conference standing rules) because their fanbases travel well and watch them on TV. Michigan getting picked over MSU for the 2011 Sugar Bowl despite losing to them, not making the B1G championship game, and being ranked lower is a prime example. MSU made the Outback bowl...

My understanding is that some of the bowls (Cotton, Peach, Fiesta) don't get to pick their own teams in years when they aren't part of the playoff, but have teams assigned to them by the committee. Maybe this is naive, but I'm hoping that the committee (which doesn't have bowl representatives on it) will be selecting the teams for the bowls in at least a slightly more legit way than has been and would be done by the hopelessly corrupt bowls themselves.

sagegrouse
10-13-2014, 05:14 PM
My understanding is that some of the bowls (Cotton, Peach, Fiesta) don't get to pick their own teams in years when they aren't part of the playoff, but have teams assigned to them by the committee. Maybe this is naive, but I'm hoping that the committee (which doesn't have bowl representatives on it) will be selecting the teams for the bowls in at least a slightly more legit way than has been and would be done by the hopelessly corrupt bowls themselves.

I linked this before, but the committee does have powers outside of picking the four playoff teams:

Selection Committee Responsibilities

Select the top four teams for the playoff, rank them and assign them to semifinal sites.
Rank the next group of teams to play in other New Year’s bowls if berth are available.
Select the highest-ranked champion from the five conferences without New Year’s bowl contracts.
Assign teams to New Year’s bowls

Create competitive matchups
Attempt to avoid rematches of regular-season games and repeat appearances
Consider geography

Participants in the New Year’s Bowls

Both participants in the Orange, Rose and Sugar Bowls are contracted outside the playoff arrangeI'm a real wanker for saying this.ment (Big Ten and Pac-12 to Rose Bowl; SEC and Big 12 to Sugar Bowl; ACC to Orange Bowl against the highest ranked available team from the SEC, Big Ten and Notre Dame). If a conference champion qualifies for the playoff, then the bowl will choose a replacement from that conference. When those bowls host the semifinals and their contracted conference champions do not qualify, then the disI'm a real wanker for saying this.placed champion(s) will play in the other New Year’s bowls.

The Fiesta, Cotton and Peach Bowls will host displaced conference champions and the top-ranked champion from a non-contract conference. The highest-ranked available teams will fill any other berths. The Selection Committee will make the pairings.

It's kinda like, "Don't mess with the Orange, Rose and Sugar Bowls when they are not in the national semifinals, but you get to do a lot of other stuff."

Duvall
10-13-2014, 06:06 PM
I linked this before, but the committee does have powers outside of picking the four playoff teams:

It's kinda like, "Don't mess with the Orange, Rose and Sugar Bowls when they are not in the national semifinals, but you get to do a lot of other stuff."

Except that...of the twelve New Year's Day bowl spots, eleven of them are basically spoken for. You've got the four slots reserved for the semifinalists, selected by the committee. Then there are five spots reserved for the champions of the ACC, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12, or their replacements if the champion is in the semifinals. Then there's the ACC's Orange Bowl opponent, which is reserved for Notre Dame, a Big Ten team or an SEC team. And finally there's the Group of Five spot set aside for the best team from the AAC, Sun Belt, CUSA, Mountain West and MAC. That leaves only one slot that the committee can award to the best team available.

So from Duke's perspective, that still only leaves at most five or six bowl slots where strength of schedule could be a factor. Everything else is conference affiliation and marketability.

BigWayne
10-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Anybody know who to send a note to about fixing this?