TE Dan Beilinson (upper body)

DE Dezmond Johnson (leg)

CB Johnathan Lloyd (lower body)

OL Trip McNeill (lower body)

OUT FOR SEASON

LB Kelby Brown (leg)

TE Braxton Deaver (leg)

DE Taariq Shabazz (leg)

I assume Sirk was injured in practice because he was fine at the end of the Tulane game. I guess Parker Boehme becomes Connette for a week.

Olympic Fan
09-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Nice to see Lucas Patrick off the list. Cut said he moves back into the starting lineup when he returns.

Sorry to see Dez Johnson still out. Cut raised at least some hope earlier in the week that he would be ready to go.

The Sirk injury is worrisome, but do note that he's "Questionable" and not "Doubtful" or "Out". That's usually about 50-50.

It only becomes a big problem if they knock out Boone. I don't think Boehme is ready to take over as the full-time quarterback at this level. Then again, I'm not sure Sirk is either (although we know he can be a dynamic runner).

Bob Green
09-25-2014, 04:21 PM
The Sirk injury is worrisome

Yes it is. It is imperative we effectively run the ball against Miami and the QB keeper is an integral part of our running game. If Sirk is unable to go, Coach Cutcliffe might be less inclined to having Boone running the ball. I am hoping to see us expand our running attack against Miami not shrink the play book.

devildeac
09-25-2014, 04:52 PM
Yes it is. It is imperative we effectively run the ball against Miami and the QB keeper is an integral part of our running game. If Sirk is unable to go, Coach Cutcliffe might be less inclined to having Boone running the ball. I am hoping to see us expand our running attack against Miami not shrink the play book.

Alex,

I'll take Shaun Wilson for 245, please;).

CameronBornAndBred
09-25-2014, 05:05 PM
I know what you mean by "less inclined", since it is a great way to get injured, but Boone showed he can run plenty against Tulane. It seemed as if the whole first drive was nothing but keepers. As weak as Miami's run D is, it has to be an option that we should not shy away from.

Duvall
09-25-2014, 05:11 PM
I know what you mean by "less inclined", since it is a great way to get injured, but Boone showed he can run plenty against Tulane. It seemed as if the whole first drive was nothing but keepers. As weak as Miami's run D is, it has to be an option that we should not shy away from.

The problem is that Boone running the ball with Sirk available is a very different situation from Boone running the ball with Boehme as the only backup. May be a chance Duke has to take, though.

CameronBornAndBred
09-25-2014, 05:27 PM
The problem is that Boone running the ball with Sirk available is a very different situation from Boone running the ball with Boehme as the only backup. May be a chance Duke has to take, though.
Won't win if we play scared. I agree with your sentiment, but taking risks are a part of the game. Anthony is a senior starter, let's put some faith in him, much as we (meaning the coaches) did when Thad was the man.
Sirk's injury is a strained muscle.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-backup-quarterback-questionable-vs-miami/14015793/

Bob Green
09-25-2014, 05:36 PM

This is exactly what I meant and agree it might be a chance Duke has to take. With the start of conference games, I'm hoping to see Coach Cutcliffe and Montgomery expand the running attack by adding a QB pitch option to the Inside Zone Read play. This play is run out of a two back set or with the slot receiver coming in motion:

http://fishduck.com/the-chip-kelly-oregon-spread-offense-analysis/understanding-the-oregon-offense/a-fish-video-tutorial-oregon-straddled-triple-option/

This could be a way to get Shaun Wilson the ball with space to operate out of a two back set or one of the slot receivers with speed contributing to the running game. However, this play definitely requires the QB to run the ball.

roywhite
09-25-2014, 05:41 PM
Won't win if we play scared. I agree with your sentiment, but taking risks are a part of the game. Anthony is a senior starter, let's put some faith in him, much as we (meaning the coaches) did when Thad was the man.
Sirk's injury is a strained muscle.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-backup-quarterback-questionable-vs-miami/14015793/

And bye week coming up after Miami; maybe Sirk can go.

Bob Green
09-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Miami injuries:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article2236300.html

Sir Stealth
09-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Miami injuries:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article2236300.html

Interesting that they are having to use a backup freshman walk-on kicker right now. That kind of thing has a tendency to bite you and could all of a sudden be really big deal if the game is close.

OldPhiKap
09-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Interesting that they are having to use a backup freshman walk-on kicker right now. That kind of thing has a tendency to bite you and could all of a sudden be really big deal if the game is close.

Not sure, but I think there are a fair number of schools who do not offer scholarships to kickers but use "invited walk-ons" instead. Do not know about Miami though.

uh_no
09-26-2014, 01:25 PM
Not sure, but I think there are a fair number of schools who do not offer scholarships to kickers but use "invited walk-ons" instead. Do not know about Miami though.

such is the case when you have a lot more supply of "good enough" kickers than there are available positions. The schools that want to splurge on a top notch kicker can, and those that don't can hope they're prestigious enough to get the best of the rest.

OldPhiKap
09-26-2014, 02:20 PM
such is the case when you have a lot more supply of "good enough" kickers than there are available positions. The schools that want to splurge on a top notch kicker can, and those that don't can hope they're prestigious enough to get the best of the rest.

I think that's exactly right, and some coaches choose because of scholarship limits to "spend" their resources with other position players.

I imagine the kid is good, and if he is questionable from long range expect Miami to go for it on 4th down between the 20 and 40.