PDA

View Full Version : Devils To Have Multiple Uni's This Season

Newton_14
09-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Things they are a changing! This will bring mixed emotions I am sure, and it looks like last seasons white throwback uni's were a huge hit with the guys. If you recall, they wore them every single opportunity after they were rolled out for the one time throwback game. Well Devil fans, the throwbacks are here to stay and back for the 2014-15 season! But wait! There's more!

This season the team will rock 6 different uni's this season. 3 Home uni's, 2 Road uni's, and 1 "Special Occasion" (I suspect this one will be the polarizing black uni's).

Linky (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-09-23/duke-schedule-uniforms-throwbacks-options-home-games)

AncientPsychicT
09-24-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm going to have to agree with the guys on the basketball team on this one. I really like the all-whites; there's just something quite classy and refined about them IMO.

Elegance in simplicity.

CameronBornAndBred
09-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Doesn't matter to me; the only thing I care about is that they say "Duke".

lotusland
09-25-2014, 06:42 AM
No gray Nike uni this year?

MCFinARL
09-25-2014, 10:41 AM

Maybe that will be the "special occasion" uni.

wilson
09-25-2014, 11:06 AM

Maybe that will be the "special occasion" uni.Better that than the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad black.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-25-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm going to have to agree with the guys on the basketball team on this one. I really like the all-whites; there's just something quite classy and refined about them IMO.

Elegance in simplicity.
Agree with simple, refined and classy. And the opposite of argyle if there is such a thing.

Scorp4me
09-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Better that than the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad black.

Personally I think the all white is pretty boring, but I'm one who likes the black. But if they players like them I'm all for them. Fortunately for everyone the players seem to like both the all white and the black ones so we get both :)

blazindw
09-25-2014, 12:46 PM

Maybe that will be the "special occasion" uni.

Better that than the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad black.

That gray uni from a couple years ago is something I don't think is ever coming back.

My guess is that the black is the 2nd road jersey to go with the blue. I love the black and I love breaking it out for those big road games (except @UNC...I feel we should always wear Duke Blue there).

I'm anxious to see the 3rd home and the "special" jersey, which I would think will be a part of the Hyper Elite apparel lines that has seen us in the gray (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/kyguy2340/SHOES/NIKE/APPAREL/D2-4.jpg) and the blue (http://images.footballfanatics.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=%2fproductImages%2f_1503000%2fff_1503 756_xl.jpg&w=600) jerseys in previous seasons.

Newton_14
09-25-2014, 06:33 PM
I hated the gawd awful gray unis. The look ok in person and dry but when the sweating kicks in they are unbearable. Hope to never see those again ! I do love the throwback white unis . Looking forward to see the special ones and road gear not shown yet

Edouble
09-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Personally I think the all white is pretty boring, but I'm one who likes the black. But if they players like them I'm all for them. Fortunately for everyone the players seem to like both the all white and the black ones so we get both :)

I abhor the scoop neck on the whites. Reminds me of '98 Kentucky unis.

Mark my words, the one time special unis will be atrocious and universally disapproved this board, but recruits/players will love them and we will only have to endure them for a single game.

WiJoe
09-25-2014, 08:43 PM
So where are they? Let's see them. Sporting News breaks the story? C'mon goduke.com. Show 'em. All of 'em.

msdukie
09-25-2014, 11:50 PM
I abhor the scoop neck on the whites. Reminds me of '98 Kentucky unis.

Or most every Duke uniform pre 1980-1. For the record, we only know there are 3 home whites (regular, fauxback and ?), 2 blue (regular, fauxback) and an "alternate" (presumably the standard black). We do not know that there is any special one time uniform.

Edouble
09-26-2014, 12:18 AM
Or most every Duke uniform pre 1980-1. For the record, we only know there are 3 home whites (regular, fauxback and ?), 2 blue (regular, fauxback) and an "alternate" (presumably the standard black). We do not know that there is any special one time uniform.

Nope, doesn't remind me of that. They remind me of '98 Kentucky.

El_Diablo
09-26-2014, 08:13 AM

No, but we have had a special Nike HyperElite uniform each of the past three years, so it would be reasonable to assume that it will be one of the six. Probably the other home jersey, based on this description of it from the article:

"In addition to the two pictured, the source told Sporting News that the Blue Devils have a third home uniform in the works, the likes of which have not yet been revealed to anyone. A reveal date has not yet been chosen."

The Nike HyperElite uniforms are typically announced by Nike as part of a broader marketing event featuring 7-10 teams during the season.

I am not sure where you saw that we will have the fauxback in blue. But if that is just an assumption rather than confirmed, then the 2015 HyperElite jersey could instead be either the second "away" jersey or the "alternate" jersey (with the traditional black version being counted as the "alternate" jersey or the second "away" jersey).

blazindw
09-26-2014, 08:57 AM
The black unis aren't going anywhere and we wear them more than once a season. That's why you have to assume the 2 road unis are our standard blue and our standard black. The "special occassion" uniform and the 3rd home are the ones we don't know about, and one of those will be a part of the HyperElite line that they roll out this year for several teams.

msdukie
09-26-2014, 10:13 PM
Technically Duke's standard white, blue (purple) and black uniforms are Nike System of Dress HyperElite II uniforms (2010 template). Have been since we got them in January 2011. You can tell because they have the perforations in the shorts and a number of other small telltales.

The "one-off" uniforms are generally referred to as platinum elite, even when they are not platinum (as they were in 2012), they are made from recycled water bottles and other Nikespeak. Our fauxbacks are platinum elite, though the newer (2012) template is also referred to as Nike Elite Fit 2.0. (more Nike speak). (The new Kentucky and Arizona uniforms are on this template). There is an even newer template that the Olympic team wore which has seams that run around the front though I forgot what that is called and that might be a form of Elite Fit.

The men's basketball Twitter account was showing Instagram photos being taken today in the standard black uniforms. The "special" or whatever it is uniform is the 3rd white uniform. Duke Blue Planet's twitter already confirmed that there was a blue fauxback. So we know the uniforms are as follows:

Home:
1) Standard white (HyperElite II)
2) Fauxback (Platinum Elite/or Fit 2.0)
3) Super Secret Special uniform or something else

Road:
1) Standard purple (HyperElite II)
2) Fauxback (Platinum Elite/or Fit 2.0)

Alternate Road:
1) Standard black (HyperElite II)

DBR talks about the new uniforms for photo day on the front page, but those are the same uniforms we have worn since we went to China in August 2011.

msdukie
09-26-2014, 10:15 PM
Nope, doesn't remind me of that. They remind me of '98 Kentucky.

http://duke-rafters.tripod.com/id4.html

El_Diablo
09-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Yes, for the annual Nike gimmick jerseys, the terminology changes every year. In 2012, there was the one-game use of the "Hyper Elite Platinum" jerseys (against Maryland). In 2013, we had a one-game "Hyper Elite Road Jersey" (at Maryland). In 2014, we had a one-game fauxback "Nike Hyper Elite Dominance" (against Maryland). Supposedly the captains liked the fauxback Dominance ones so much that they chose to wear them again for the UNC game and then kept riding them into the postseason tournaments.

msdukie, I see the white Dominance fauxbacks are going to stay in the rotation this year, but where did you see that we will also add road fauxbacks? It would account for the sixth jersey (along with the standard white, standard blue, standard black, fauxback white and a likely gimmick "2015 Hyper Elite Something" marketed for multiple teams). Alternatively, the DBR front page article referred to a "special occasion" jersey and seemed to imply that it would be used to celebrate Coach K's 1,000th win. Or maybe I am just misreading the implication (?)...it's pretty vague. But the DBR article seems to be basing it on the Sporting News article, which referred not to a "special occasion" jersey but to an "alternate" jersey, so I am not sure what's really going on with that reference. Anyway, unless you have seen that there is going to be a road fauxback, I could see the following arrangement:

Home:
Standard white
Fauxback white
Special (1K?)

Road:
Standard blue
Standard black

Alternate:
Nike Hyper Elite Something (the one-time marketing gimmick for multiple teams in January/February)

Edouble
09-27-2014, 03:06 PM
http://duke-rafters.tripod.com/id4.html

Not sure what you're getting at. The three sets of uniforms in question are all very different.

The throwbacks remind me of '98 Kentucky. I don't know why you would argue about what the unis remind me of. My brain will work as it does. The unis remind me of '98 Kentucky. That's fine if they remind you of something else, but this has nothing to do with me. Please write whatever you think as your own autonomous comments, but to argue about what the unis remind me of is a bit over the top.

throatybeard
10-02-2014, 10:24 PM
I've made my peace with the fact that, 95% of the games, our uniforms are going to be either somewhat ugly or terribly ugly. I've lost the will to have a preference between those two, even. There's not a thing any of us can do about it, so here we are.

Fortunately, most MLB teams do not have this problem. I'll be watching that for the rest of the month.

fuse
10-03-2014, 10:10 AM
This breaking news just in, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead!

msdukie
10-04-2014, 12:16 AM
Yes, for the annual Nike gimmick jerseys, the terminology changes every year. In 2012, there was the one-game use of the "Hyper Elite Platinum" jerseys (against Maryland). In 2013, we had a one-game "Hyper Elite Road Jersey" (at Maryland). In 2014, we had a one-game fauxback "Nike Hyper Elite Dominance" (against Maryland). Supposedly the captains liked the fauxback Dominance ones so much that they chose to wear them again for the UNC game and then kept riding them into the postseason tournaments.

msdukie, I see the white Dominance fauxbacks are going to stay in the rotation this year, but where did you see that we will also add road fauxbacks? It would account for the sixth jersey (along with the standard white, standard blue, standard black, fauxback white and a likely gimmick "2015 Hyper Elite Something" marketed for multiple teams). Alternatively, the DBR front page article referred to a "special occasion" jersey and seemed to imply that it would be used to celebrate Coach K's 1,000th win. Or maybe I am just misreading the implication (?)...it's pretty vague. But the DBR article seems to be basing it on the Sporting News article, which referred not to a "special occasion" jersey but to an "alternate" jersey, so I am not sure what's really going on with that reference. Anyway, unless you have seen that there is going to be a road fauxback, I could see the following arrangement:

Home:
Standard white
Fauxback white
Special (1K?)

Road:
Standard blue
Standard black

Alternate:
Nike Hyper Elite Something (the one-time marketing gimmick for multiple teams in January/February)

Sporting News and DBR have no inside information. Either Dave Bradley or DukeBluePlanet (which are basically the same) tweeted out in response to a question that there was a blue fauxback, so we know what 2 of the white jerseys are and both of the blue jerseys. Blue Planet has already tweeted out pictures of additional photos of the team in the standard black, so we know 5 of the 6 jerseys, with the white jersey being a mystery. I find it unlikely K would approve a 1K jersey, that is not very K like. A Cameron 75th jersey is another story, or it could just be the annual one off in white this year....

El_Diablo
10-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Sporting News and DBR have no inside information. Either Dave Bradley or DukeBluePlanet (which are basically the same) tweeted out in response to a question that there was a blue fauxback, so we know what 2 of the white jerseys are and both of the blue jerseys. Blue Planet has already tweeted out pictures of additional photos of the team in the standard black, so we know 5 of the 6 jerseys, with the white jersey being a mystery. I find it unlikely K would approve a 1K jersey, that is not very K like. A Cameron 75th jersey is another story, or it could just be the annual one off in white this year....

Thanks for clearing that up regarding the blue fauxback jerseys. They could look pretty sweet if done right. And yeah, the 1K idea does not really pass the smell test.