PDA

View Full Version : FB: Miami 22, Duke 10

Dev11
09-21-2014, 12:20 AM
Duke gets its toughest opponent to date, as we enter conference play having gone 4-0 against a weak non-conference slate (welcome to 2014).

Miami returns home 2-2 following a loss to Nebraska where they lacked discipline.

Discuss the game here.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-21-2014, 12:25 AM
Duke went into the prime evening slot on ESPN2. Carolina vs. Clemson on ESPNU. FL State plays at 3:30. There appears to be a new order.

loran16
09-21-2014, 12:40 AM
The Good:

Miami's D isn't really better than last year, particularly against the run (where we put up 350+ yards against them on the ground last year). Nebraska ran all over them for example, today. Duke should be able to score a lot of points (using Shaun Wilson some more next game would be advisable).

The Bad:

Duke's Run D isn't better than last year, if not worse, and Miami HAS Duke Johnson this time. God only knows how we'll stop him.

I think Miami takes this one in a shootout....Cut won't do it, but Duke really should think about stacking the box against Miami and selling out against the rush and trusting the secondary to handle the pass threat.

Richard Berg
09-21-2014, 12:57 AM
The top entry in the "similar threads" box below is titled "Duke 74, Miami 64". FB or WBB, that works for me.

Wander
09-21-2014, 04:45 AM
It's possible this is our toughest game of the regular season (the other contenders are @GT and @Pitt). I think we're better than Miami, but on the road, I'd say it's about 50/50. Duke Johnson does scare me a little.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2014, 07:47 AM
Miami . . . lacked discipline.

Talk about a slug-fest! I am surprised there we're no ejections.

Miami should be favored at home against us. Even if we come in ranked (which we may), I gotta think we are 5 or 6 point 'dogs. Maybe more.

Will be a touch challenge.

Go Duke!

Reilly
09-21-2014, 08:07 AM
... There appears to be a new order.

Or, to borrow a phrase, maybe order has been restored.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Wade

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2014, 09:25 AM
I expect this game to look a lot like last year's game at Wallace Wade. Lots of big plays with the game ultimately turning on a couple of chance plays...a fumble here, a missed easy pass there. It may just come down to who gets touchdowns instead of field goals. Executing in the red zone has been a huge strength for Duke over the last couple of years.

Also, while Miami has two burners at WR in Dorsett and Coley, Duke should have a pretty significant edge at the QB spot. The experience edge, with Miami starting a true freshman and Duke starting a redshirt senior, may have been more pronounced if this were being played at Duke, but still...Duke needs Boone to shake off some his inconsistency from the past couple of outings and give Duke the edge they really need in this one.

I think we will be ranked, and I think the line will be more like Miami by 3.

Bob Green
09-21-2014, 10:28 AM
We have been given a solid look at the base offense to date; the zone read running game, the short passes and the deep sideline routes. Next week against Miami, I expect Coach Cutcliffe to expand the playbook and unveil a wrinkle or two he has been saving for conference opponents.

Scorp4me
09-21-2014, 11:25 AM
...Duke needs Boone to shake off some his inconsistency from the past couple of outings and give Duke the edge they really need in this one.

People will be much happier if they realize that isn't inconsistency...that IS Boone. He's a red-shirt senior and he's still doing it, it isn't changing. He brings a lot of positives to the table, but he brings some head scratchers too. You'll be much happier enjoying him for what he is and his positives outweigh his negatives :)

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-21-2014, 11:35 AM
People will be much happier if they realize that isn't inconsistency...that IS Boone. He's a red-shirt senior and he's still doing it, it isn't changing. He brings a lot of positives to the table, but he brings some head scratchers too. You'll be much happier enjoying him for what he is and his positives outweigh his negatives :)
I believe Coach has used the term streaky. We've used that term here with some frequency in basketball discussions perhaps, but it certainly is applicable in this context. While Anthony is the starter through his senior year, Thomas is getting more reps in more and more varied game situations, preparation for the future.

Acymetric
09-21-2014, 11:56 AM
I believe Coach has used the term streaky. We've used that term here with some frequency in basketball discussions perhaps, but it certainly is applicable in this context. While Anthony is the starter through his senior year, Thomas is getting more reps in more and more varied game situations, preparation for the future.

Also the word Steve Logan used to describe Boone on his show this morning.

nocilla
09-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Looks like Duke has slipped into the Coaches poll at #23, followed by ECU at #24. I actually expected ECU to be ahead of us. They still may be in the AP poll.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/

uh_no
09-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Looks like Duke has slipped into the Coaches poll at #23, followed by ECU at #24. I actually expected ECU to be ahead of us. They still may be in the AP poll.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/

the only question is who in their right mind gave UNC a vote?

Bob Green
09-21-2014, 01:16 PM

:confused:

UNC is not listed in the "Others Receiving Votes" section. N.C. State is listed with seven votes.

94duke
09-21-2014, 01:18 PM

Um, no one? unc is listed under "Schools Dropped Out." They are not listed under "Others receiving votes." North Carolina State did get seven votes. Maybe you didn't see "State" in the name?

uh_no
09-21-2014, 01:35 PM
:confused:

UNC is not listed in the "Others Receiving Votes" section. N.C. State is listed with seven votes.

oops! missed that little "state" bit at the end!

Henderson
09-21-2014, 01:36 PM
During his post-game presser yesterday, Cut made the point that the team has finished the first phase of the season and is geared up for phase next.

Although Phase I exposed some known weaknesses (rushing defense -- sure do miss Kelby Brown -- and inconsistent passing), I'd say the team has exceeded expectations. The offense is working, special teams are working, and the defense has been stingy with points, despite giving up 182 yards per game on the ground (80th in the FBS). Duke is averaging 43.5 points per game and allowing 11.5 points per game for an average margin of victory of 32 points. Lesser competition for sure, but only because Duke's strength creates an expectation of success, which is the only thing that makes one able to call the Phase 1 competition "lesser". And the team has taken care of business in every game. Beating the teams you are supposed to beat isn't a given, and it is a sign of a team taking care of business. Duke is 3-1 against the spread, and the only time they didn't cover (Troy), they missed by only 1 point. That's a sign that they have exceeded expectations. And in Phase I, Cut has pulled many first team players in the second half, which skews the stats. Leaving aside the pre-season losses, Duke comes into the game pretty healthy.

This team is primed to start Phase II on a high note. Miami is 81st in FBS offense, but 21st in FBS defense. Duke is 35th in FBS offense and 45th in FBS defense (again, skewed by second half personnel changes). A win at Miami would put them at 5-0 going into a bye week with four of the following five games, all conference games, on the road. In terms of momentum going into the bye week, it feels like a pivotal game. If Duke's defense can hold Miami's running game (not their strength) and take care of business in the secondary (Miami's starter has thrown 7 interceptions in 4 games), the offense should be able to score enough for an excellent road win.

Duke by 4.

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2014, 03:10 PM
The Good:

Miami's D isn't really better than last year, particularly against the run (where we put up 350+ yards against them on the ground last year). Nebraska ran all over them for example, today. Duke should be able to score a lot of points (using Shaun Wilson some more next game would be advisable).

The Bad:

Duke's Run D isn't better than last year, if not worse, and Miami HAS Duke Johnson this time. God only knows how we'll stop him.

I think Miami takes this one in a shootout....Cut won't do it, but Duke really should think about stacking the box against Miami and selling out against the rush and trusting the secondary to handle the pass threat.
For another look at "the good and the bad", check out this excellent article from Adam Gold.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/the-good-and-bad-of-4-0-duke/14002299/

Bob Green
09-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Miami has opened as a 5.5 points favorite:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

OldPhiKap
09-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Miami should be favored at home against us. Even if we come in ranked (which we may), I gotta think we are 5 or 6 point 'dogs.

Miami has opened as a 5.5 points favorite:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

I should move to Vegas!

wilson
09-21-2014, 07:06 PM
I should move to Vegas!Gotta be Lake Tahoe.

devildeac
09-21-2014, 10:01 PM
I should move to Vegas!

Gonna give up your day job?;)

devildeac
09-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Gotta be Lake Tahoe.

Tahoe is gorgeous. We spent several days there last summer during a "joint venture" (medical meeting and vacation:o) and that wasn't nearly enough time for discovery and relaxation.

Back to the original point:

Hope it's posted prominently in our locker room. Gotta earn respect. Time to go out and beat the spread.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Gotta be Lake Tahoe.

Only been there once, during a blizzard. Good times, tough ski conditions. Need to hit it again. Been to Vegas half a doZen times since -- no snow so all good.

Gonna give up your day job?;)

My cardiologist suggests a less stressful occupation. All options open!

devildeac
09-21-2014, 10:45 PM
Only been there once, during a blizzard. Good times, tough ski conditions. Need to hit it again. Been to Vegas half a doZen times since -- no snow so all good.

My cardiologist suggests a less stressful occupation. All options open!

Sounds like you need a second opinion. I'm available. Weekends after kick-off time. Low cost, too. I bill in 12 ounce increments;).

Man, I'm excited about the Miami game already.

sagegrouse
09-22-2014, 12:25 AM
Tahoe is gorgeous. We spent several days there last summer during a "joint venture" (medical meeting and vacation:o) and that wasn't nearly enough time for discovery and relaxation.

Back to the original point:

Hope it's posted prominently in our locker room. Gotta earn respect. Time to go out and beat the spread.

Hey, Devil Deac: Keep an eye open for CME in Steamboat Springs. We oculd have some fun. -- Sage

Bob Green
09-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Scroll down to the Ugly section:

https://www.accsports.com/articles/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-1

To read about Miami's run defense.

But they’ve got to figure something out defensively or they're going to have trouble winning over Duke next Saturday in the ACC opener for both squads.

CameronBornAndBred
09-22-2014, 08:32 AM
Scroll down to the Ugly section:

https://www.accsports.com/articles/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-1

To read about Miami's run defense.
I was just thinking the same about ours.

If we go down there, play a solid game, and win, we'll be legitimately ranked. We are going to get the U's best shot; we are going to get everyone's best shot this season, so we better be well prepared. I'm honestly worried, I haven't been thrilled about our play so far and wish we had gone up against at least one decent team before getting into ACC games.
Our run defense has GOT to improve, and our offense needs to become more consistent. I fear Duke Johnson is going to have a field day against us. That is ok as long as he is the only one we allow to move the ball; some players are just unstoppable and he is one of those guys. Time of possession is going to be big in this game, as well as ball control. We can't afford to turn it over and it would be nice to see them cough it up at least once. Special teams play might be a big factor in this game too. Make our field goals, get some excellent punts, and put ourselves in great positions with some nice returns.
This is going to be a tough game, but we can do it. We simply need more consistency.

OldPhiKap
09-22-2014, 08:49 AM
I was just thinking the same about ours.

If we go down there, play a solid game, and win, we'll be legitimately ranked. We are going to get the U's best shot; we are going to get everyone's best shot this season, so we better be well prepared. I'm honestly worried, I haven't been thrilled about our play so far and wish we had gone up against at least one decent team before getting into ACC games.
Our run defense has GOT to improve, and our offense needs to become more consistent. I fear Duke Johnson is going to have a field day against us. That is ok as long as he is the only one we allow to move the ball; some players are just unstoppable and he is one of those guys. Time of possession is going to be big in this game, as well as ball control. We can't afford to turn it over and it would be nice to see them cough it up at least once. Special teams play might be a big factor in this game too. Make our field goals, get some excellent punts, and put ourselves in great positions with some nice returns.
This is going to be a tough game, but we can do it. We simply need more consistency.

I think you nailed it.

The team that executes the best will win. Let's be that team.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-22-2014, 09:25 AM
I think you nailed it.

The team that executes the best will win. Let's be that team.

You've just described good football games regardless of who's playing. This is the kind of excitement the program has been working to create since Coach Cutcliffe decided Duke is where he wants to be.

devildeac
09-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Hey, Devil Deac: Keep an eye open for CME in Steamboat Springs. We oculd have some fun. -- Sage

I'm taking this under serious advisement.

And, to keep this on topic, I hope Cut has the guys taking the U seriously. Very seriously.

OldPhiKap
09-22-2014, 11:45 AM
You've just described good football games regardless of who's playing. This is the kind of excitement the program has been working to create since Coach Cutcliffe decided Duke is where he wants to be.

True. And as we both recall, there were years in which it did not matter whether we executed well or not -- we just could not compete.

As you note, things have certainly changed. There was a time not long ago when I just hoped we did not get our tails handed to us on a trip to Miami. Now, we expect to compete and have a reasonable expectation of winning.

Slight underdog on the road in this game sounds right. Go Duke!

roywhite
09-22-2014, 01:47 PM
True. And as we both recall, there were years in which it did not matter whether we executed well or not -- we just could not compete.

As you note, things have certainly changed. There was a time not long ago when I just hoped we did not get our tails handed to us on a trip to Miami. Now, we expect to compete and have a reasonable expectation of winning.
Slight underdog on the road in this game sounds right. Go Duke!

Agreed.

The larger variable IMO is just how Miami will play. In terms of size, speed, recruiting rankings, etc., they have some advantages. So far it has not translated into great results, and they have lacked discipline. Had 5 Personal Foul penalties in the second half vs Nebraska.

CameronBornAndBred
09-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Agreed.

The larger variable IMO is just how Miami will play. In terms of size, speed, recruiting rankings, etc., they have some advantages. So far it has not translated into great results, and they have lacked discipline. Had 5 Personal Foul penalties in the second half vs Nebraska.
We don't need any PF's against us. We can't afford the injuries.

wilson
09-22-2014, 03:12 PM
We don't need any PF's against us. We can't afford the injuries.See: Virginia Tech games, circa 2006-10.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-22-2014, 06:36 PM
As many of you may know, there is a motivational video prepared for the team to view before each game. Each video skillfully weaves scenes from the previous game with sound clips of Coach Cutcliffe, individuals players and music. The result is a visualization of what they want to do on the field. Here's the video the team watched before the Tulane game.

Watch out Miami!

http://vimeo.com/106864981

devildeac
09-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Not sure whether this has been linked before but another nice spotlight on one of our OL:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-lineman-s-quest-to-be-a-surgeon/14003529/

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2014, 08:27 AM
A look at Miami's run defense from a local paper's perspective.

After the Hurricanes struggled against the run in their loss to Nebraska this past Saturday, Miami coach Al Golden says his team—especially his defense—has to move forward quickly, especially with Duke and its run-heavy offense coming to Sun Life Stadium on Saturday night.

The Blue Devils, the reigning Coastal Division champions, are averaging 261 rushing yards per game, thanks in part to a solid start from Shaun Wilson. Wilson, a freshman, has totaled 404 yards in Duke’s first four games and averages 14.4 yards per carry.

The Hurricanes gave up 343 rushing yards in their 41-31 loss to Nebraska, and Golden says his team has to learn from that experience and its struggles to contain Cornhuskers running back Ameer Abdullah.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/um-hurricanes/miami-hurricanes-blog/sfl-run-defense-a-priority-as-miami-begins-preparing-for-duke-20140922,0,5501222.story

Bob Green
09-24-2014, 03:42 PM
The over/under in Vegas is 60 points. I'm thinking the over is a safe bet based on the past two years:

2013: Duke 48, Miami 30
2012: Miami 52, Duke 45

Bob Green
09-24-2014, 05:00 PM
Here is a Miami Herald article on the 'Canes defense:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article2220714.html

Last year, the Blue Devils became the third team to rush for at least 300 yards against a D’Onofrio-coached UM defense — and they have a read-option attack very similar to what Nebraska runs.

D’Onofrio said Tuesday there were too many missed tackles to count at Nebraska and “yards after contact were a big issue.”

Nebraska was the fourth team to rush for 300 yards against Miami since Coach Al Golden arrived in 2011. I'm hoping to see 2014 Duke become the fifth team (and the first team to do it twice).

Wander
09-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Nebraska was the fourth team to rush for 300 yards against Miami since Coach Al Golden arrived in 2011. I'm hoping to see 2014 Duke become the fifth team (and the first team to do it twice).

Both Duke and Miami look to be pretty bad this year on rush defense. I'd expect a lot of yards on the ground on both sides. Like you said in the previous post - probably a high scoring game.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2014, 07:41 AM
Looks like the line has stretched out to 7.

Time to pull it together and see what we've got!

Go Duke!

nocilla
09-25-2014, 02:46 PM
A little love from the espn bloggers;

Duke quarterback Anthony Boone keeps winning without the hype

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/75063/dukes-boone-keeps-winning-without-the-hype

Matt Skura embraces Duke football

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/74985/matt-skura-embraces-duke-football

Bob Green
09-26-2014, 05:00 AM
Patrick Cacchio previews the game:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/09/preview-duke-miami/

It will take a complete effort of solid fundamental football for the Blue Devils to upset the Hurricanes for a second year in a row: a positive turnover margin, strong specials teams play, and physicality in the trenches.

The team is capable of accomplishing all three of Patrick's requirements for a victory.

Reilly
09-26-2014, 06:09 AM
This is where I start really missing Kelby and Braxton. This team has 12 redshirt seniors: experienced leaders who've gotten the job done in tough situations over the years. And we lost 2 of those 12 when Kelby and Braxton went down.

17 Issac Blakeney WR 6-6 225 RSr. Monroe, N.C. (Monroe)
7 Anthony Boone QB 6-0 225 RSr. Weddington, N.C. (Weddington)
59 Kelby Brown LB 6-2 230 RSr. Matthews, N.C. (Charlotte Christian)
91 Jamal Bruce DT 6-1 285 RSr. LaGrange, Ga. (Callaway)
73 Takoby Cofield OT 6-4 310 RSr. Tarboro, N.C. (Tarboro)
89 Braxton Deaver TE 6-5 240 RSr. Charlotte, N.C. (Providence)
94 Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo DE 6-4 240 RSr. Prairie View, Texas (Waller)
54 C.J. France LB 6-0 230 RSr. Columbus, Ga. (Carver)
42 Dezmond Johnson DE 6-4 260 RSr. Nashville, Tenn. (Overton Comprehensive)
9 Josh Snead RB 5-9 190 RSr. Smithfield, N.C. (Smithfield-Selma)
77 Laken Tomlinson OG 6-3 330 RSr. Chicago, Ill. (Lane Technical)
95 Jamal Wallace DT 6-4 280 RSr. Virginia Beach, Va. (Green Run)

chrishoke
09-26-2014, 09:48 AM
CFN predicts a close Duke win.

http://duke.scout.com/story/1456555-cfn-predicts-duke-v-miami

OldPhiKap
09-27-2014, 09:18 AM
Yahoo! Game day!

GoDuke has a great preview video, highly recommend.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-27-2014, 11:26 AM
I'll be there tonight in my Duke Football shirt. This should be a high scoring game with a lot of big plays each way...to me, one of the big keys will be getting TDs rather than settling for FGs. If you look at the scores from the last two times these teams played, holding the other team to a FG would be considered a clear victory for the defense. Execution in the red zone has been a big Duke strength the last two years and they'll need that tonight.

This is probably my fourth or fifth Duke game in Miami, and the first one where I'm not just hoping to keep it close (which, it should be noted, Duke has almost always managed to do, even when we were terrible). We're past moral victories at this point, at least against a wheezing Miami program.

Olympic Fan
09-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Fun to see Duke get some attention on ESPN's GameDay.

The Duke-Miami game was one of the 8-9 games they picked at the end of the show.

Desmond Howard and Lee Corso both picked Miami, but guest picker Kenny Chesney and Kirk Herbstreit both picked Duke!

diablesseblu
09-27-2014, 02:05 PM
Fun to see Duke get some attention on ESPN's GameDay.

The Duke-Miami game was one of the 8-9 games they picked at the end of the show.

Desmond Howard and Lee Corso both picked Miami, but guest picker Kenny Chesney and Kirk Herbstreit both picked Duke!

David Pollack, who subs for Corso in the early portion of the show, also picked Duke to win.

subzero02
09-27-2014, 02:48 PM
The spread is back down to 5.5 or 6 across the board. The late money is coming in on Duke. This is a big big game as far as our national profile is concerned.

mattman91
09-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Hello???

It's gametime! Lets go Duke!

riverside6
09-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Live stats, play analysis, and more for Duke/Miami

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-miami-football-live-stats-09272014

Native
09-27-2014, 07:42 PM
Poor start by our defense. Hope we can wake up soon!

mattman91
09-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Good stop there. Lets get to the end zone Mr. Boone!

ChrisP
09-27-2014, 07:51 PM
Did Boone's arm get hit there or...did he just flat out throw it in the dirt?

WakeDevil
09-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Too much speed. This game is over.

mattman91
09-27-2014, 08:00 PM

It's the first quarter bud.

arnie
09-27-2014, 08:03 PM

The Boone throws have been atrocious. Don't get it?

ChrisP
09-27-2014, 08:04 PM
It's the first quarter bud.

Yeah. Jeez! I believe in our guys but...looks (at least so far) like the bad Boone has shown up tonight:(

bbosbbos
09-27-2014, 08:04 PM
They play a lot better than us so far.

grossbus
09-27-2014, 08:06 PM
By the time Boone finds his rhythm, this game may, in fact, be over.

bbosbbos
09-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Indeed very poor performance. They are bigger, faster & stronger. Hard to defend.

Sixthman
09-27-2014, 08:13 PM

It's difficult to imagine a worse start for Boone. Let's trust in his experience to prevail.

BlueTeuf
09-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Stay patient and have faith. My advice.

mattman91
09-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Must score here!

AncientPsychicT
09-27-2014, 08:23 PM
And the second quarter starts as auspiciously as the first...

:mad:

buddy
09-27-2014, 08:24 PM
This is a team effort.

arnie
09-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Must score here!

If indeed Boone was not supposed to be in shotgun on that play, maybe worst start e we for a Duke QB. His throws so far off that Miami not even in position.

mattman91
09-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Good thing I have plenty of craft beer in my fridge. I think I have a little Makers Mark in my freezer, also. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Wander
09-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Cash is somehow almost single-handedly keeping the score manageable, but the offense needs to get its crap together soon.

fuse
09-27-2014, 08:26 PM
I'm at a loss for words. Not the team I expected to show up. C'mon, let's Go Duke!

arnie
09-27-2014, 08:27 PM
I'm at a loss for words. Not the team I expected to show up. C'mon, let's Go Duke!

D looking better. Lets try the run game.

mattman91
09-27-2014, 08:29 PM
D looking better. Lets try the run game.

That's what I've been telling the coaching staff. I don't think they can hear me from my sofa.

Sixthman
09-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Offensive play calling as been as uninspired as execution. It's time to step it up!

AncientPsychicT
09-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Shaq!
Shaq!
POW!

Wander
09-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Duke gets all the calls :)

Sixthman
09-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Ok!OK!!!

That's a blue print for the whole game.

arnie
09-27-2014, 08:38 PM
Shaq!
Shaq!
POW!

That's what we needed. Our line can take care of business if we let em.

nyesq83
09-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Well the offense finally countered and strung some good plays together.

Receivers better get sticky fingers going forward.

Shaq P to the rescue. O Line finally getting some holes opened up.

I presume.

I am listening to the Bobcast as I do not have cable or ESPN.

Go Devils!

bbosbbos
09-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Let's run run run.

And Cash is brilliant.

grossbus
09-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Dodged one there. Offense needs to produce here and get us on top.

grossbus
09-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Another mishandled snap! Yikes!

arnie
09-27-2014, 09:05 PM
Another mishandled snap! Yikes!

All on Boone - perfect snap. STICK with running game.

AncientPsychicT
09-27-2014, 09:07 PM
All on Boone - perfect snap. STICK with running game.

You still have to snap it on running plays.

arnie
09-27-2014, 09:12 PM
You still have to snap it on running plays.

Maybe he takes it under center in 2nd half.

bbosbbos
09-27-2014, 09:14 PM
That snap is terrible. Boone needs to concentrate on his job.

BlueTeuf
09-27-2014, 09:14 PM
That last play makes little sense to me. Why not try for the end zone and burn out the clock - instead of punting?

arnie
09-27-2014, 09:20 PM
That last play makes little sense to me. Why not try for the end zone and burn out the clock - instead of punting?

I thought the same, but Cut prob thought we're real lucky to be down 2, why press it.

BlueTeuf
09-27-2014, 09:31 PM
I hear you - but what are you pressing? Are the risks all that different?

arnie
09-27-2014, 09:33 PM
I hear you - but what are you pressing? Are the risks all that different?

I'm agreeing with you. If we throw incompletion Miami has time for only a Hail Mary.

grossbus
09-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Awful start to second half.

Sixthman
09-27-2014, 09:39 PM
We should take a tip from Miami and have our receivers run routes past the sticks on third down.

ChrisP
09-27-2014, 09:41 PM
We should take a tip from Miami and have our receivers run routes past the sticks on third down.

Word!!!

BlueTeuf
09-27-2014, 09:43 PM
This feels a lot like VT last year. We'll win.

FerryFor50
09-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Not liking the torrential downpour that just appeared out of nowhere... gonna make throwing the ball tough.

mattman91
09-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Not liking the torrential downpour that just appeared out of nowhere... gonna make throwing the ball tough.

Good. I have way more faith in our run game. Maybe some play action runs could do the job.

arnie
09-27-2014, 09:45 PM

So maybe we should run the ball.

grossbus
09-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Oh, how does that happen? Inexcusable.

mattman91
09-27-2014, 09:49 PM
That is like a kick in the groin.

devildeac
09-27-2014, 09:54 PM
give up a td on 4th and 19? Ya gotta be kidding me.

gep
09-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Sorry guys... as soon as I get home, turn on the TV, 4th and 19, and Miami gets that amazing TD pass/catch. Turning off now... will just watch scores on my iPhone...

Sixthman
09-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Offense is letting us down. Defense needs to get a turnover.

grossbus
09-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Except for that one scoring drive, the offense has been totally ineffective.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-27-2014, 09:58 PM
Anyone see a horse collar? Terrible call.

Dukehky
09-27-2014, 10:00 PM
Boone has just been off so far this year IMO. We miss Deaver and Kelby really, really badly. Fourth Quarter is Duke's Quarter these days though, hopefully we can string something together here.

grossbus
09-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Cash hurt

Cramp?

FerryFor50
09-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Great. Now Cash is hurt. Was holding his hammy. Hope it's just a cramp.

At least Duke recovered the fumble.

El_Diablo
09-27-2014, 10:06 PM
Anyone see a horse collar? Terrible call.

Nope. Not even close to a horse collar. He just pushed the receiver out of bounds. Maybe the call was off the ball somewhere???

Also, the Miami player ran out of bounds at least a yard short of the marker, but the refs just gave them the first down. Awful spot.

FerryFor50
09-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Nope. Not even close to a horse collar. He just pushed the receiver out of bounds. Maybe the call was off the ball somewhere???

Also, the Miami player ran out of bounds at least a yard short of the marker, but the refs just gave them the first down. Awful spot.

They called it on 94, who was on the DL. Likely tackled Kayaa on the pass.

BlueTeuf
09-27-2014, 10:10 PM

Was it short of the yard marker - or short of the yellow superimposed 1st down line?

Sixthman
09-27-2014, 10:11 PM
We have to get Crowder going in this 4th Quarter

Dukehky
09-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Cash is the second best defensive player in the conference behind Vic Beasley, gotta get him back out there.

DownEastDevil
09-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Would love to see Wilson in the game and get him the ball out in the flats.

bbosbbos
09-27-2014, 10:24 PM
I can not tolerate the terrible snap any more. Turn off TV. :mad:

dukelifer
09-27-2014, 10:25 PM

Center having a really bad day

FerryFor50
09-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Nothing is really going right on offense. You could say it's Miami's D, but it's more about mental mistakes, botched snaps and some questionable play calling.

mattman91
09-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Bring in the backup center...

arnie
09-27-2014, 10:26 PM

Just a WOW- where did the offensive ineptitude come from?

ChrisP
09-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Ugh, seriously??? Offense has been shaky but..man, these awful snaps are KILLING us!

grossbus
09-27-2014, 10:27 PM
This is truly ugly.

El_Diablo
09-27-2014, 10:28 PM
And our punt lands 8 yards deep in the end zone. Just some poor execution right now.

That said, it's a 6-point game.

Sixthman
09-27-2014, 10:32 PM
A really tough drive right now on the backs of offensive line can win this game.

grossbus
09-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Why do we keep trying the sideline bomb?

Especially when your QB is off!

mattman91
09-27-2014, 10:34 PM
We have had success running, why don't we do more of it?

FerryFor50
09-27-2014, 10:35 PM
The play calling in this game on offense has been pretty bad. Go routes all over the place. It's like an 8 year old playing Madden.

Sixthman
Or just throw up a prayer . . .

mattman91
The play calling in this game on offense has been pretty bad. Go routes all over the place. It's like an 8 year old playing Madden.

Great analogy. Lots of screen passes that get nothing.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-27-2014, 10:37 PM
Or just throw up. This is sickeningly bad.

grossbus
09-27-2014, 10:37 PM

I'm going to throw up.

ChrisP
09-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Sad thing is...this is a winnable game. Well, minus the many bonheaded plays by our offense, of course.

grossbus
09-27-2014, 10:41 PM
That's as bad as the other TD.

I AM going to be sick

devildeac
Our DB stopped running on that coverage.

El_Diablo
Okay, time for a return TD from Edwards or Crowder.

mattman91
09-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Very disappointed with our execution tonight. The Highland Black Mocha Stout isn't helping. Time to bring out the Makers Mark.

FerryFor50
09-27-2014, 10:44 PM
And finally the pressure put on the defense by the offense from keeping the defense on the field has caught up to them. Gave up a wide open long bomb for a TD.

Gotta be more patient on offense, especially when you were only down 6.

Native
09-27-2014, 10:45 PM
Very disappointed with our execution tonight. The Highland Black Mocha Stout isn't helping. Time to bring out the Makers Mark.

I don't think even alcohol would help me at this point.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Horrendous

grossbus
09-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Why play action on 4th and 12? No one is going to take that fake?

The offense has been terrible and it starts with the play calling.

mattman91
09-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Stupid 4th down play action call. It is 4th and 12...you are obviously throwing. Still proud of these guys...5 years ago we would be happy putting up 10 on Miami.

mattman91
09-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Hey guys, atleast UNC is down 50-35 :cool:

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Stupid 4th down play action call. It is 4th and 12...you are obviously throwing. Still proud of these guys...5 years ago we would be happy putting up 10 on Miami.
Yeah but we're past the point of moral victories. This was a very winnable game. We just didn't execute. Not even close. That's disappointing.

ChrisP
09-27-2014, 10:56 PM
Horrendous

I don't know, Miami seems to definitely be the more talented team (or at least their D vs our O) but, obviously, we have also shot ourselves in the foot many times tonight. I am unbelievably proud of our defense and Jeremy Cash is THE MAN!!!

El_Diablo
09-27-2014, 10:56 PM

Yeah, that RB should have been blocking the pass rusher running right up the middle rather than faking a run. Not sure who was supposed to be fooled there. Oh well.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-27-2014, 11:02 PM
Hate this. They're just teeing off on Boone. Getting dangerous for him.

grossbus
09-27-2014, 11:02 PM
Boone's worst game?

mattman91
09-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Worst offensive outing I have seen since the Roof era.

FerryFor50
09-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Wow. Miami coughs it up.

Unlikely to pull it out, but good on Cash.

Sixthman
09-27-2014, 11:04 PM
Can cash play QB?

mattman91
09-27-2014, 11:04 PM
Yeah but we're past the point of moral victories. This was a very winnable game. We just didn't execute. Not even close. That's disappointing.

True. I'm leaving. I have alcohol to drink.

El_Diablo
09-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Boone's worst game?

Yes, probably, but he's never been a very accurate passer. The OL is not doing him any favors tonight.

bbosbbos
09-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Started drinking from the 3rd Q. No hope at all after Cash was down.

True. I'm leaving. I have alcohol to drink.

dairedevil
09-27-2014, 11:09 PM
Quoting my 36 year old son: I never thought I would see the day when Miami players are celebrating a victory over Duke just like they had won the National Championship.

Sort of puts in perspective how far Duke football has come since he was in high school in the 90's.

Doesn't make me feel any better about tonight's game, though.

FerryFor50
Worst offensive outing I have seen since the Roof era.

Uhh.....

Someone has a short memory.

How about Va Tech in 2010?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2010-10-23-virginia-tech.html

Or 2012 FSU?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2012-10-27-florida-state.html

Tonight they've racked up more points and yards than in either of those two debacles.

JBDuke
Why do we even call the deep routes? Boone's success rate on them is very low. I understand needing to stretch the defense every now and then, but Boone is much better on his short and mid-range passes. (Although he has a tendency to throw high, especially under pressure.)

And what the heck is up with Skura tonight? Two "snap infraction" penalties and 3 or 4 bad snaps. Ugh.

uh_no
09-27-2014, 11:11 PM
I don't know what to say...I don't have anything nice to say.

The defense did a pretty good job.

Thank goodness for NFL sunday.

mattman91
09-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Uhh.....

Someone has a short memory.

How about Va Tech in 2010?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2010-10-23-virginia-tech.html

Or 2012 FSU?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2012-10-27-florida-state.html

Tonight they've racked up more points and yards than in either of those two debacles.

Luckily for me, I didn't SEE those two :p

FerryFor50
09-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Luckily for me, I didn't SEE those two :p

Consider yourself lucky. :p

SharkD
09-27-2014, 11:13 PM
Ugh.

Next play. Please.

nmduke2001
09-27-2014, 11:14 PM
That was awful. I almost wish that game wasn't nationally televised. Only bright spot was Cash.

Wander
09-27-2014, 11:15 PM
I think most of our players actually played pretty well.

But when the two guys who touch the ball on every offensive play have as awful games as Skura and Boone did, it doesn't really matter.

ChrisP
09-27-2014, 11:18 PM
I think most of our players actually played pretty well.

But when the two guys who touch the ball on every offensive play have as awful games as Skura and Boone did, it doesn't really matter.

Totally agree. Our D was pretty impressive after that initial drive by Miami. They got tired as the game wore on because the offense couldn't sustain drives. Even so, they only gave up 22 to the 'Canes on the road. I'm not one for moral victories, but I think our D grew up a bit tonight. Oddly, I was worried more about our defense than offense coming into this one. Oh well, shows you how much I know about foosball. :(

I think Duke should just go ahead and retire #16 right now though. Wow...what an effort from Cash tonight! Huge props to him!!!

fisheyes
09-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Duke was beaten by Duke and Duke....

Duke Johnson and themselves.

Next play.

dukelifer
09-27-2014, 11:32 PM
Duke was beaten by Duke and Duke....

Duke Johnson and themselves.

Next play.

Boone has to play better for Duke to have a chance against the ACC. He has not looked consistently sharp all year. Hopefully he can regain his swagger.

sagegrouse
09-27-2014, 11:32 PM
I am satisfied with our D, especially given the predictions of doom and gloom against D. Johnson, Jr. and the U. We allowed 22 points, which is pretty damned good.

Who would have dreamed that we would only score ten? Credit to the 'Canes for righting the ship after the poor effort against Nebraska. But what were we thinking? Our effort on offense was poor, and our execution was horrible. Five botched center snaps, including the two procedure penalties. One appeared to be a missed count; another was confusion over the position of the QB, and a third was just a bad snap. Boone had a horrible day, although Miami is very, very fast on defense when -- I guess -- its mind is in the game.

brlftz
09-28-2014, 01:24 AM
Why play action on 4th and 12? No one is going to take that fake?

The offense has been terrible and it starts with the play calling.

that was probably my most WTH moment of the game. there's really no explaining why you would force the QB to take his eyes off the field like that in that situation. as if anyone was going to be frozen by that, omg.

brlftz
09-28-2014, 01:26 AM
I don't know, Miami seems to definitely be the more talented team (or at least their D vs our O) but, obviously, we have also shot ourselves in the foot many times tonight. I am unbelievably proud of our defense and Jeremy Cash is THE MAN!!!

cash is one of the guys we have that could play for ANYBODY. he's so fun to watch on defense. he just finds a way to get at the ball.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-28-2014, 01:36 AM
Well, tonight's game was pretty disappointing on multiple levels. For one, I was expecting a much more exciting game, like last year's, but instead it was a bit of a slog. For a low scoring game, it sure seemed to take a while to finish. There were multiple prolonged reviews. There was a five minute period in the third quarter where I was toughing it out through a torrential downpour and I don't think a single play was run during that span. That was fun.

Anthony Boone was terrible. He sure seems to have regressed some from last year. The botched snaps. Jamison Crowder couldn't get any separation. Blakeney seemed out of his element. Shaun Wilson was barely used for large stretches of the game. We ran that WR screen toss about a dozen times, and I don't think it worked once.

The defense was good enough to win this game, and I thought our special teams play was excellent.

That's really our third sloppy game in a row. I say third, but it might be fourth or fifth...I wasn't able to watch our first two games. I guess starting off against a cupcake schedule helps breed bad habits.

Very disappointing performance tonight.

Olympic Fan
09-28-2014, 02:54 AM
Agreed ... a sloppy game and poorly played on the offensive end. I'm surprised -- the defense played well enough to give us a chance to win. The offense didn't.

The only consolation I can take is that we started 0-2 in the ACC a year ago and still had a great season.

We've got a week off to get ready for Georgia Tech and their option. If we win that one (a game we lost a year ago), I feel like we'll be right back to track.

But we've got to play a lot better than we did Saturday night.

HK Dukie
09-28-2014, 03:16 AM
I am so happy I can finally be disappointed in a Duke Football performance!

The effort and resilience in the face of adversity was there which is very admirable and the character of this team.

The disappointment was large because we could have won this game. Large blowouts of the past years didn't phase me nearly as much but this loss hurts much more because we were on the cusp and I had a belief that we would pull it out and win by one but just kept misexecuting.

After a few hours of reflection I realized I prefer the ups and downs of vested interest in a team. I was finally happy to be disappointed. Next Play!

OldPhiKap
09-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Good time for a bye week.

Bob Green
09-28-2014, 08:47 AM
The TD pass on 4th and 19 was a killer. I had visions of a 17-16 victory up until that play. Jeremy Cash cramped up on the play:

Cash’s thoughts on 4th and 19 play where Miami scored:
“I was in man coverage and my guy just jogged off the line, so I didn’t think he was going to run a route, but then he ended up running a route, so by the time I was able to change speeds, I started cramping, and he managed to get the ball in the end zone. I tried to get the ball out of his arms, but unfortunately, I wasn’t able to.”

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209683180

The bye week arrives at a fortunate time as we need to get healthy and work on a lot of little things.

devildeac
09-28-2014, 08:57 AM
The TD pass on 4th and 19 was a killer. I had visions of a 17-16 victory up until that play. Jeremy Cash cramped up on the play:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209683180

The bye week arrives at a fortunate time as we need to get healthy and work on a lot of little things.

That's really too bad because he played a great game otherwise.

It didn't help either that one of our DBs was jogging for part of his coverage on their 47 yd TD pass and that allowed him to get beat. Badly. By 5 yds or more:mad:.

Pretty reasonable effort though by the D. Gave up a lot of yards but still managed to only give up 22 points, which, had the offense bothered to show up for 3-4 drives instead of just one, we might have pulled out a close win.

NYBri
09-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Really disappointing game by the offense and Anthony Boone in particular. Got to go back to the drawing board to see what we can do to fix those problems.

dukelifer
09-28-2014, 10:10 AM
I am so happy I can finally be disappointed in a Duke Football performance!

The effort and resilience in the face of adversity was there which is very admirable and the character of this team.

The disappointment was large because we could have won this game. Large blowouts of the past years didn't phase me nearly as much but this loss hurts much more because we were on the cusp and I had a belief that we would pull it out and win by one but just kept misexecuting.

After a few hours of reflection I realized I prefer the ups and downs of vested interest in a team. I was finally happy to be disappointed. Next Play!
There was a time that teams saw Duke on their schedule and took a break that week. Even if Duke played hard- the other team usually could pull it out. Duke is no longer a pushover and now teams are taking them seriously. Duke will have a tough go unless they start executing better and matching intensity. This was a good game to point out the weaknesses. They will get better and Wilson needs to be a bigger part of the offense. That kid is going to be a star.

Wander
09-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Anthony Boone was terrible. He sure seems to have regressed some from last year. The botched snaps. Jamison Crowder couldn't get any separation. Blakeney seemed out of his element. Shaun Wilson was barely used for large stretches of the game. We ran that WR screen toss about a dozen times, and I don't think it worked once.

I don't agree about Crowder or Wilson. Wilson had more touches than anyone, and answered Bob Green's question about whether he could be an effective option for leaking out and producing by catching short passes. It's a nice sign going forward, given that this was his first ever game against a decent opponent. Crowder looked good to me - not to pile on, but it's just that Boone and (parts of) the offensive line were so bad that it didn't really matter if Crowder was playing well.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-28-2014, 11:56 AM
I don't agree about Crowder or Wilson. Wilson had more touches than anyone, and answered Bob Green's question about whether he could be an effective option for leaking out and producing by catching short passes. It's a nice sign going forward, given that this was his first ever game against a decent opponent. Crowder looked good to me - not to pile on, but it's just that Boone and (parts of) the offensive line were so bad that it didn't really matter if Crowder was playing well.

Unless my boxscore was lying to me, Wilson didn't get his first carries until the 3rd quarter. He did have two catches before halftime.

Regarding Crowder, he looked good with the ball in the open field (although it didn't amount to much), but every time I looked his way he was blanketed by the Canes CB on any routes downfield. He had 47 yards on 7 catches, which suggests to me most of his catches were of the quick screen variety.

Bob Green
09-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Unless my boxscore was lying to me, Wilson didn't get his first carries until the 3rd quarter. He did have two catches before halftime.

Shaun Wilson carried the ball in the 1st Quarter:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209683153

Du 1-10 at Du14 DUKE drive start at 03:31.
Du 1-10 at Du14 Shaun Wilson rush for 2 yards to the DU16 (Jermaine Grace), PENALTY UM unsportsmanlike conduct (Jamal Carter) 15 yards to the DU31, 1ST DOWN DU.
Du 1-10 at Du31 1st and 10.
Du 1-10 at Du31 Anthony Boone pass complete to Jamison Crowder for loss of 2 yards to the DU29 (Jermaine Grace).
Du 2-12 at Du29 Shaun Wilson rush for 6 yards to the DU35 (A. Chickillo;Raphael Kirby).
Du 3-6 at Du35 Anthony Boone pass incomplete to David Reeves.
Du 4-6 at Du35 Will Monday punt 50 yards to the UM15, Stacy Coley return 5 yards to the UM20 (C.J. France), PENALTY UM illegal block (Garrett Kidd) 10 yards to the UM10, 1st and 10, UM ball on UM10.
Drive: 4 plays, 21 yards, TOP 02:00

Ima Facultiwyfe
09-28-2014, 12:30 PM
The "character builder game" we've all been dreading came. Now they can benefit from it, bless their hearts, from knowing the truth about real strengths and weaknesses. I look upon it as a blessing.
Love, Ima

PS Get well soon, Sirk!

richardjackson199
09-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Well, tonight's game was pretty disappointing on multiple levels. For one, I was expecting a much more exciting game, like last year's, but instead it was a bit of a slog. For a low scoring game, it sure seemed to take a while to finish. There were multiple prolonged reviews. There was a five minute period in the third quarter where I was toughing it out through a torrential downpour and I don't think a single play was run during that span. That was fun.

The defense was good enough to win this game, and I thought our special teams play was excellent.

That's really our third sloppy game in a row. I say third, but it might be fourth or fifth...I wasn't able to watch our first two games. I guess starting off against a cupcake schedule helps breed bad habits.

Very disappointing performance tonight.

Agreed. Our offense is led by talented seniors, and Miami's freshman led offense was better. We had multiple chances and didn't even put up a fight on offense. It did not look like the Duke offense I saw last year. It makes me wonder if loss of our offensive coordinator Kurt Roper to Florida was a bigger deal than I realized. We should have beaten that Miami team, or at least put up more of a fight on offense. Our offense was pathetic, especially in the 2nd half.

My biggest WTH moment was our center screwing up the snap, what 5 times on big plays? Embarrassing.

This team has talent, and can be much more competitive. I hope they put it together and quickly for upcoming ACC games.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Shaun Wilson carried the ball in the 1st Quarter:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209683153

I stand corrected. I remember being surprised when I looked at the box at halftime and saw he had no carries, but I just assumed I had confused him with Powell. Hard to see 28 vs 29 from the seats. I even saw a few tweets mentioning Wilson getting his first carries in the 3rd, but they must have been looking at the same boxscore as me.

subzero02
09-28-2014, 01:44 PM
We are lucky that the score wasn't worse. Their defensive line dominated us down the stretch...

Native
09-28-2014, 01:52 PM
The screen pass made its triumphant return last night.

Should have had more vertical running plays, especially with Boone having the night he did. I'm curious as to whether the board thinks we just don't have the advantage in the trenches that we did last year from a talent or a physicality perspective, or what. Because clearly Cutcliffe and Scottie wanted no part of running the ball.

sagegrouse
09-28-2014, 02:04 PM
It did not look like the Duke offense I saw last year. It makes me wonder if loss of our offensive coordinator Kurt Roper to Florida was a bigger deal than I realized. We should have beaten that Miami team, or at least put up more of a fight on offense. Our offense was pathetic, especially in the 2nd half.

My biggest WTH moment was our center screwing up the snap, what 5 times on big plays? Embarrassing.

No question that the next three weeks and two games are gonna be critical for offensive coordinator Scottie Montgomery and Coach Cut. We need to show that our offense can be as productive as last year.

To me, the lack of coordination of the center and QB reflects on the coaching staff as much as the players. There shouldn't be a single screw-up for the rest of the year, given the emphasis placed on the center snap in the next two weeks. And yep, there were at least five snaps that were messed up -- two for penalties and three fumbled snaps.

You know, the game result depends on the other team as well. This was -- how do you say it? -- a "statement game" for Miami. The 'Canes got pushed all over the field by Nebraska, and apparently Nebraska had zero, zilch, nada rushing plays for a loss. Then there was the Duke game last year, which was viewed as an embarrassment to the Miami program, and some yapping by Duke players before this week's game, along the lines of, "We hit them in the mouth, and they seemed to back down."

Critical point of the season. Go Duke!!

uh_no
09-28-2014, 02:50 PM
We are lucky that the score wasn't worse. Their defensive line dominated us All Game

FTFY

In fact, 5 of our best 6 drives were after 7:00 3Q

that said, we still killed ourselves....the snaps issues? the interceptions? the terrible 4th down play calls? the couple big plays for TDs given up?

Anyway, wanted to take look at some of the play calling and see any patterns

maybe we can establish the run? nah but we can alternate pass-run?
rpp (run was for 3 yards)
prp (...5 yards)
prp (...6)
pr (...3)
rprpr (11,17,9)
prprprp (1,3,6)

at this point we were averaging 6.4 ypc, so how can we justify running the ball once in the next 4 drives?

pp
ppp
prp (4yds)
ppp
prrprr (5,11,8,-2)
rpprrp (8,1,2)

we averaged 4.6ypc over this stretch...not as good, but still not terrible....

i have a phrase for this phase of the game, but it's not appropriate for these boards
rppppppprppp
pppppppp
ppppppp

So I don't know what it is, but i'm inclined to criticize the new OC here. The play calling was uninspired from a very high level, and we didn't play to what was working at all....we shove it down their throats for a TD...and then go pass on the next several first downs? at that point why did we double down on the pass? It Boggles my mind....

here's the first down playcall distribution:

rprpprppr(td)ppppppprprpppppprppppp

are you kidding me? after the TD, we ran on first down 3x out of 22 opportunities...seriously THRICE???? after we had run our way to our first score (including the next 7 attempts...)

the distribution for the game was 7 run, 24 pass....there's no excuse for that. none.

richardjackson199
09-28-2014, 04:27 PM
No question that the next three weeks and two games are gonna be critical for offensive coordinator Scottie Montgomery and Coach Cut. We need to show that our offense can be as productive as last year.

To me, the lack of coordination of the center and QB reflects on the coaching staff as much as the players. There shouldn't be a single screw-up for the rest of the year, given the emphasis placed on the center snap in the next two weeks. And yep, there were at least five snaps that were messed up -- two for penalties and three fumbled snaps.

You know, the game result depends on the other team as well. This was -- how do you say it? -- a "statement game" for Miami. The 'Canes got pushed all over the field by Nebraska, and apparently Nebraska had zero, zilch, nada rushing plays for a loss. Then there was the Duke game last year, which was viewed as an embarrassment to the Miami program, and some yapping by Duke players before this week's game, along the lines of, "We hit them in the mouth, and they seemed to back down."

Critical point of the season. Go Duke!!

Agreed. And Georgia Tech better be a statement game for Duke. That has to be our mindset this next 2 weeks.

loran16
09-28-2014, 06:11 PM
One positive that I'm not sure others have mentioned (because the bad is so obvious):

The play of Breon Borders demands watching. If I watched correctly, Miami threw at him ONCE - and Breon slowed the receiver down (it was a screen) for Jeremy Cash to knock the ball loose, which Breon promptly recovered. Breon is being treated as a shutdown corner by opponents and they are dodging him if possible - I don't think duke moves Breon at all around to face different WRs, but it really should.

Byron Fields is being beat quite often on the other hand, so the difference in CBs is stark. Still some time there for him to improve, but it's a bit annoying to constantly see #14 beat.

TampaDuke
09-29-2014, 10:18 AM
FTFY

In fact, 5 of our best 6 drives were after 7:00 3Q

that said, we still killed ourselves....the snaps issues? the interceptions? the terrible 4th down play calls? the couple big plays for TDs given up?

Anyway, wanted to take look at some of the play calling and see any patterns

maybe we can establish the run? nah but we can alternate pass-run?
rpp (run was for 3 yards)
prp (...5 yards)
prp (...6)
pr (...3)
rprpr (11,17,9)
prprprp (1,3,6)

at this point we were averaging 6.4 ypc, so how can we justify running the ball once in the next 4 drives?

pp
ppp
prp (4yds)
ppp
prrprr (5,11,8,-2)
rpprrp (8,1,2)

we averaged 4.6ypc over this stretch...not as good, but still not terrible....

i have a phrase for this phase of the game, but it's not appropriate for these boards
rppppppprppp
pppppppp
ppppppp

So I don't know what it is, but i'm inclined to criticize the new OC here. The play calling was uninspired from a very high level, and we didn't play to what was working at all....we shove it down their throats for a TD...and then go pass on the next several first downs? at that point why did we double down on the pass? It Boggles my mind....

here's the first down playcall distribution:

rprpprppr(td)ppppppprprpppppprppppp

are you kidding me? after the TD, we ran on first down 3x out of 22 opportunities...seriously THRICE???? after we had run our way to our first score (including the next 7 attempts...)

the distribution for the game was 7 run, 24 pass....there's no excuse for that. none.

This is spot on, IMO. I have no idea what the game plan was, but it felt like we outsmarted ourselves -- i.e., since everything points to us running the ball in this game, we're going to throw it -- and ended up being too smart for our own good. Very disappointing that we didn't give our RBs the opportunity to run on Miami's D as they did last year.

johnb
09-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Miami has bigger, faster football players than we do, and--all things being equal--they'll generally win the game. Fortunately for us, Cutcliffe and his assistants can generally out coach the other guys, and so other things are not always equal. Plus, we have playmakers on both sides of the ball. It also helps when they come in overconfident, like they presumably did last year.

The reliance on the short pass potentially works fine when our O line isn't able to keep up with their D line (which is what I assume led to the center problems as well as the veering from the run), but those short passes depend on our quarterback being automatic on short routes that are essentially handoffs. I like Boone, but he's certainly not automatic on his throws. I think we missed Sirk in this game. At the very least, he would have given us another big, strong runner, and given Anthony some breathing space. At the most, he would have succeeded where Anthony did not, and opened up a real can of worms in regards to playing time.

My bright spots: we could've won this game despite not playing well (or running enough--nicely outlined, above); Shaun Wilson, again; and definitely Jeremy Cash, who made some awesome plays. I was especially wowed when he penetrated through a strong block, crawled into the backfield under duress, and forced Duke Johnson into a behind-the-lines flip. Impressive.

nocilla
09-29-2014, 01:44 PM
Jeremy Cash's efforts did not go unnoticed in the loss as he was named the ACC co-defensive back of the week.

killerleft
09-30-2014, 09:21 AM
Jeremy Cash's efforts did not go unnoticed in the loss as he was named the ACC co-defensive back of the week.

Perhaps a new category, "Man Among Boys", should be created for Mr. Cash.

AtlDuke72
09-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Perhaps a new category, "Man Among Boys", should be created for Mr. Cash.

This is about the most favorable thing said in the whole stinking thread. 10 pages of whining from the minute the game started until now. Funny how the rest of the country thinks we have a great coach . . . if the country only knew how great Duke could be if we let the DBR call the plays . Good grief people, get a life.

Bob Green
09-30-2014, 04:16 PM
This is about the most favorable thing said in the whole stinking thread. 10 pages of whining from the minute the game started until now. Funny how the rest of the country thinks we have a great coach . . . if the country only knew how great Duke could be if we let the DBR call the plays . Good grief people, get a life.

You are painting with a broad brush. Everyone participating in the discussion is not whining.

AtlDuke72
09-30-2014, 04:37 PM
You are painting with a broad brush. Everyone participating in the discussion is not whining.

You are correct and I apologize to the very few who were not whining. The rest of this thread, however, reads like Inside Carolina afte a Heels loss.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-30-2014, 04:50 PM
You are correct and I apologize to the very few who were not whining. The rest of this thread, however, reads like Inside Carolina afte a Heels loss.

Maybe this is an unanticipated kind of progress..... the thread almost reads like a thread following a basketball loss.....

OldPhiKap
09-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Maybe this is an unanticipated kind of progress..... the thread almost reads like a thread following a basketball loss.....

A football thread that's about to hit eleven pages and 200 posts --- I'm just glad people care enough to whine, and expect enough that a loss at Miami is disappointing.

Hard to start jumping on fans IMO.

And yes, it was the worst we have looked all year. Part of that was the opponent, part of that was on us. Nothing wrong with discussing those facts so long as the discussion is constructive.

Good time for a rest week, and we need to go make a statement in Atlanta next week in the same way that Miami determined to make a stand after their Nebraska fiasco.

LGD, and GTHC!

uh_no
09-30-2014, 05:04 PM

there's a lot of discussion on what went wrong and what we can do better....hardly any "world is on fire season over never going to win another game everyone is terrible" that you see on IC. Nobody said we don't have a good coach, or good players. There are specific critiques on specific parts of certain coaches performances (some based on actual numbers....something unknown by the UNC uneducated fourth grade mathers over on IC), but nothing saying they aren't capable....just that they need to do better.

FerryFor50
09-30-2014, 10:42 PM

If what he said was correct (which was essentially that no one was whining) then you probably should go back and re-read the posts.

That said, a highlight from the game was that CNN picked up Jeremy Cash's tackle on Duke Johnson as one of the top sports photos of the week.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/30/worldsport/gallery/what-a-shot-0929/index.html?hpt=hp_c4

CameronBornAndBred
10-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Any criticism of the coaching is justly deserved. Would we do better? It's not our job, but we are certainly allowed as fans to wonder. Think we are alone in our questioning? Not a chance. From Caulton Tudor, who evaluates all the local coaching weekend performances. Generally, he has been favorable of Cutcliffe and Co. Not this time, and deservedly so.
P.S..I have a life and enjoy it immensely.

David Cutcliffe, Duke, C: There were a lot of ifs and buts involved, but at the end of a wet, miserable night in Miami, the Blue Devils were a 7-point underdog who lost by 12 – 22-10 (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/kaaya-throws-2-tds-miami-tops-duke-22-10/14023609/).
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/it-s-a-b-as-in-bowl-bound-for-pack-s-doeren-/14026539/#XUKq4XmgC3CS6byb.99