PDA

View Full Version : 2014-15 Captain(s)?

MCFinARL
09-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Has Coach K announced any captains yet? I don't think I have heard anything about this, and it seems a bit later than usual (though I could be wrong about this--maybe some recent years with early announcements have been the exception, rather than the rule). Quinn is the only senior; K recently praised Amile for his on-court communication. Rasheed and Marshall are the only other upperclassmen, and Marshall has relatively limited playing experience. One captain? Two? Three?

Bluedog
09-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Has Coach K announced any captains yet? I don't think I have heard anything about this, and it seems a bit later than usual (though I could be wrong about this--maybe some recent years with early announcements have been the exception, rather than the rule). Quinn is the only senior; K recently praised Amile for his on-court communication. Rasheed and Marshall are the only other upperclassmen, and Marshall has relatively limited playing experience. One captain? Two? Three?

Last year, the captains were named on Sept 27, so not any later than that. My guess is Quinn and Amile to start, but I have no inside knowledge.

Bob Green
09-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Last season, Hood and Thornton were named team captains on 9/27/13:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209269547

flyingdutchdevil
09-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Last year, the captains were named on Sept 27, so not any later than that. My guess is Quinn and Amile to start, but I have no inside knowledge.

I would think it would be a three-headed monster:

-Quinn Cook: emotional leader
-Amile Jefferson: communication leader
-Rasheed Sulaimon: on-court leader

Everyone - the media, coaches, even DBR - is underestimating the power of Rasheed Sulaimon. Watch out 'Merica, watch out.

If it's not three (and it probably won't be), I'd venture that, like you, it's Quinn and Amile.

mattman91
09-19-2014, 04:05 PM
I would think it would be a three-headed monster:

-Quinn Cook: emotional leader
-Amile Jefferson: communication leader
-Rasheed Sulaimon: on-court leader

Everyone - the media, coaches, even DBR - is underestimating the power of Rasheed Sulaimon. Watch out 'Merica, watch out.

If it's not three (and it probably won't be), I'd venture that, like you, it's Quinn and Amile.

I can see this, but is Quinn going to be a good emotional leader? I'm a big fan of him, but he can sometimes show a lot of negative body language on the court. He will need to not do that if he is going to be an effective leader.

ChillinDuke
09-19-2014, 04:54 PM
I can see this, but is Quinn going to be a good emotional leader? I'm a big fan of him, but he can sometimes show a lot of negative body language on the court. He will need to not do that if he is going to be an effective leader.

Well, the short answer is we have no idea.

My personal guess (maybe hope?) is that seniors tend to realize it's their last go-around. And when faced with that reality (and in Quinn's case the likelihood that he is not NBA-bound, and thus truly his last go-around on his home soil with top-tier exposure), they tend to cease the stupidity (read: sulking, sagging, ) and display a different level of focus on the court.

Now, there have certainly been times when this doesn't end up proving out. But, in Quinn's case, I really, [I]really hope it does.

Go Quinn! Go Duke!

- Chillin

kAzE
09-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Cook should be a captain, just based on his role and his seniority, and being a captain should be good for him. As a leader of the team, he'll have a responsibility to be mature, and tone down his negative emotional reactions to plays on the court. Throughout his time with Duke, Cook has consistently been one of the worst body language guys on the team, and as the lone scholarship senior this year, I believe he'll finally realize that he can't be doing that stuff. Sulaimon is in the same boat, so I don't think he gets named as a captain this year.

Jefferson is the natural choice for co-captain. He's got great basketball IQ, and he's the prototypical coach's player. All hustle, no drama. Easy choice.

sagegrouse
09-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Based on K's comments about Amile's skill and capability in communicating on the court, write his name down as a good bet.

Bluedog
09-19-2014, 09:41 PM
Just watched the "Player Lounge Tour with Amile and Quinn" video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqy1ZXw-Weo&index=5&list=UU9KCzNMmf0IRcEIsFDgt2bg

Key quote from Amile @1:22: "Mason Plumlee, he was our captain. Now we [Quinn and me] got a chance to be a leader."

MCFinARL
09-19-2014, 11:06 PM

Last season, Hood and Thornton were named team captains on 9/27/13:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209269547

Thanks to both of you--your memories are better than mine. I thought it was earlier.

Just watched the "Player Lounge Tour with Amile and Quinn" video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqy1ZXw-Weo&index=5&list=UU9KCzNMmf0IRcEIsFDgt2bg

Key quote from Amile @1:22: "Mason Plumlee, he was our captain. Now we [Quinn and me] got a chance to be a leader."

I had the same thought about this--it didn't seem like an accident that Amile and Quinn were hosting two new videos on Duke Blue Planet (player lounge and nutrition center). But I don't know whether the coaching staff takes any role in choosing who appears in those videos and why.

Troublemaker
09-20-2014, 12:08 AM
I'm with you guys on these predictions.

Quinn and Amile for sure. If either doesn't receive captaincy, it would be a surprise.

Possibly Marshall or Sheed for 3rd captain. Might be one of those circumstances where one of them gets upgraded midseason.

Anyone else would be a surprise.

Not saying a freshman like Tyus can't show leadership qualities at time, especially since that is reportedly one of his strengths. Just would be surprised if any freshman receives an official captaincy rank.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Given that Quinn is a senior and the assumed (so far) starting PG, I would say that it would be quite a scary statement if Cook were NOT selected as a captain. I would fear for what that suggests going into next year.

bbosbbos
09-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Quinn and Amile for sure.

Can not agree more.;)

Henderson
09-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Given that Quinn is a senior and the assumed (so far) starting PG, I would say that it would be quite a scary statement if Cook were NOT selected as a captain. I would fear for what that suggests going into next year.

Quinn and Amile for sure. If either doesn't receive captaincy, it would be a surprise.

Can not agree more.;)

Sign me up for all this. Amile seems like a lock, given K's statement this past week. The team needs Quinn to have earned a captaincy, and if that hasn't happened, it's not a good thing. I'd love to learn that Rasheed has earned a captaincy too. But it may not just be about earning; it may be about challenging a player to step up and elevate. That's where I see the Rasheed issue. Maybe being named a captain would be exactly what he needs to put him over the top.