PDA

View Full Version : Coach K Presser post FIBA/Woj Article

Dukehky
09-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Anyone know if there is a link to this anywhere?

I have seen on twitter that the key quote from K during the press conference is that, paraphrase, if you think I used Paul George's injury, then you are a bad person.

Ichabod Drain
09-18-2014, 11:15 AM
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?34188-2014-FIBA-World-Cup-Champions!/page23

Post 454 has a link to Airowes notes

Henderson
09-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Adam Rowe's excerpts are excellent. Anyone got a link to the video? I didn't find one with a Google search. Maybe not up yet?

jwillfan
09-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Listened to most of it in the car on the way to Raleigh. My favorite part of the presser other than the deservedly sarcastic sniping was hearing K pronounce Justice (I had thought "just-eeece" but it's "just-isss" like what Adrian didn't give in his article) and he called Jahlil just "Jah" which I loved. Imagine some good cheers coming up around Jah - Rastafari-I!!

Billy Dat
09-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Listened to most of it in the car on the way to Raleigh. My favorite part of the presser other than the deservedly sarcastic sniping was hearing K pronounce Justice (I had thought "just-eeece" but it's "just-isss" like what Adrian didn't give in his article) and he called Jahlil just "Jah" which I loved. Imagine some good cheers coming up around Jah - Rastafari-I!!

"We'll be forever loving Jah"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHoPzdfu3Yw

Atlanta Duke
09-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Link to CBS Sports.com article on the Woj article and K presser

If you want to think that I used Paul George, you are a bad person.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24714314/boeheim-calipari-has-complained-about-coach-k-running-team-usa

cspan37421
09-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Link to CBS Sports.com article on the Woj article and K presser

If you want to think that I used Paul George, you are a bad person.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24714314/boeheim-calipari-has-complained-about-coach-k-running-team-usa

I wish the article had mentioned how he said he went in secretly and someone else took the picture without his prior knowledge. All it says in that link above is the money quote, not the reasoning behind it.

Coach K has a long history of doing kind turns without fanfare or spotlight seeking. I know this personally.

devilirium
09-18-2014, 02:37 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/09/coach-k-fires-back-criticism/

From Watzone...

mr. synellinden
09-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Putting aside the wasted energy Coach K had to spend addressing that asinine article, it was very interesting to hear his comments about Amile being a vocal leader (I for one have always thought that Amile is an incredibly smart and instinctive player - combine him with Justise and Jahlil on the front line and I expect our interior defense to be extremely improved this year); and his comments about the freshmen being mature, cohesive and well integrated into the team.

I think very often the difference between winning and losing comes down to seemingly little things - like shot selection, a deflected pass, a tipped rebound, a defensive shift to cut off a passing or driving lane, the timing of a cut or pass - and all the offensive talent and athletic ability usually doesn't make up for the lack of the intangible understanding of those parts game. I think some of the stars of our recent teams haven't been as good at those intangible aspects as our stars were in the past (guys like Amaker, Dawkins, Laettner, Hill, Hurley, Battier, and a few of the guys on the 2010 team) - part of the problem may have been that they've been younger stars and the intangible plays and game understanding take time to develop. I'm really looking forward to this group of guys playing together and I am optimistic that they will be a smarter, more cohesive and better team than last year even though the team will still rely heavily on new players.

fuse
09-18-2014, 04:01 PM
Calipari is putting some fine fodder on twitter for our enjoyment.

NashvilleDevil
09-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Calipari is putting some fine fodder on twitter for our enjoyment.

He is trying to get in Colangelo's good graces to follow Coach K after 2016.

Troublemaker
09-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Coach K's presser is now up on www.goduke.com for anyone interested in watching

wilko
09-18-2014, 05:11 PM
He is trying to get in Colangelo's good graces to follow Coach K after 2016.

Fun. The guy who blew up the Nets wants to also use losing on a world stage to get better recruits....?
Perhaps John Chaney will be on the bench for Spain..

OK with that.

wsb3
09-18-2014, 05:46 PM
My favorite sports show Pardon the Interruption...Tony & Mike just shot down the article & treated as a joke, which is what it is from my viewpoint.

79-77
09-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Hi -- Does anyone know whether there is a way to get Coach K's pressers into itunes? I'd like to load 'em into my ipod and listen to them while I'm walking/running but can't seem to figure out how to do so short of playing them into some kind of recorder, which just seems primitive.

No intellectual property infringement is intended -- just want to listen to the Man's commentary in a convenient way.

Thanks.

beach rev
09-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Here's the link to Luke DeCock's article in the N & O:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/18/4161826/decock-krzyzewski-always-the-center.html

Troublemaker
09-18-2014, 08:10 PM
So, it's early, but it seems like Amile may have grabbed the on-court leadership role for this team. Coach K's description of Amile in this presser matched what Coach K had said he was seeking in a leader after last season ended. Namely, a loquacious communicator with good basketball IQ who can give on-the-spot directions/corrections to his teammates during live-play.

I'm happy to hear that about Amile since he's one of my favorites on this team, and I hope he's 100% physically soon. I had thought there was a lonnngshot possibility that Semi could start as a stretch 4 in order to allow Justise to play the 3, thus not forcing Duke to choose between 3-pt shooting and size at SF. But, based on this presser, I would have to say Okafor and Jefferson are locks to start at the 5 and 4, respectively.

Which means the biggest offseason debate/mystery remains. Start 3 guards (e.g. Tyus, Quinn, Sheed) and give up size for 3-pt shooting? Or start Justise at SF and go with only two shooters (e.g. Tyus and Sheed)?

JetpackJesus
09-18-2014, 09:57 PM
I wish the article had mentioned how he said he went in secretly and someone else took the picture without his prior knowledge. All it says in that link above is the money quote, not the reasoning behind it.

Coach K has a long history of doing kind turns without fanfare or spotlight seeking. I know this personally.

I can second this. When I was in high school I traveled from Buffalo to Duke Hospitals to have a medical procedure done. While I was in the hospital, my mom and aunt found out Coach K was doing a book signing somewhere in town. They went and mentioned why I was there as he was signing the book for me. After he signed the book, Coach K asked if I was still going to be in the hospital the next day because he wanted to come visit me. Unfortunately, I was being discharged in the morning so my family declined the offer. It was probably one of the few times anyone has ever been upset to be getting out of the hospital.

Needless to say, Coach K did not need to make such an offer, and he certainly had nothing to gain from it. He is just a decent, caring person. Sadly, people sometimes let their agendas, jealousy, or whatever it may be blind them to reality.

Duke3517
09-19-2014, 07:23 AM
I'm not exactly sure what these writers or coaches are complaining about. These new recruits have not led to more wins or national titles, they have led to two first round losses, and an elite eight appearance (which featured 3 quality seniors who throughout their Duke career have never been on a team out of the top 10 consensus vote).

Coach K has 4 national titles and coached multiple consensus All Americans. That in itself will get you top quality recruits.

Ichabod Drain
09-19-2014, 08:10 AM
I'm not exactly sure what these writers or coaches are complaining about. These new recruits have not led to more wins or national titles, they have led to two first round losses, and an elite eight appearance (which featured 3 quality seniors who throughout their Duke career have never been on a team out of the top 10 consensus vote).

Coach K has 4 national titles and coached multiple consensus All Americans. That in itself will get you top quality recruits.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Lord Ash
09-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Okay, please, someone help me out.

Once again, Jay Bilas has said something that just BAFFLES me. Just baffles me.

So, he wrote an insider article about the whole Woj article... I cannot read the whole thing, since I am not an insider. But... wtf?

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jay-bilas/post?id=353

He starts with some dismissive bit about people getting their "undies in a bunch" about the article.

He then goes on to make these ridiculous statements about WHY they were upset. They were upset because Woj is a great reporter. They were upset because it was the only negative article post-FIBA. They were upset because K responded.

Uhhh... WHAT?! How on earth does a guy who is supposedly so bright NOT get why people were upset?

First off, Jay, it didn't have any impact on my undies. Instead, it just seemed massively and unnecessarily insulting to a coach who many of us like and respect. And we were upset because the article had an aggressive and unnecessarily venomous tone, because it was TOTALLY illogical when it made any real attempt to make a point (nary a mention of Cal and Karl Towns, right?) and because there was absolutely no factual basis for it.

Oh. And you know the part where that tool said that K basically set up a photo op with Paul George so he could prove to recruits and their families how caring he was? Yeah. Calling K a heartless schemer doesn't help your cause.

And Jay... when some jackass reporter says effectively that your coach set up a photo op for PR when a guy was hurt, it SHOULD bother you. It should BOTHER THE HELL OUT OF YOU.

I just don't get Jay. For years I got so frustrated at folks who bashed on him about not caring about Duke, all while completely ignoring all of Jay's connections and contributions to Duke.

But man... recently I feel like he has just taken it too far.

So... can anyone with Insider maybe enlighten me as to what Jay was actually writing about? Does he actually explain how such an aggressive and mean-spirited article NOT bother him?

Duvall
09-22-2014, 07:13 PM

So, he wrote an insider article about the whole Woj article... I cannot read the whole thing, since I am not an insider. But... wtf?

You're upset about an article you haven't read?

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-22-2014, 07:17 PM

He starts with some dismissive bit about people getting their "undies in a bunch" about the article.

He then goes on to make these ridiculous statements about WHY they were upset. They were upset because Woj is a great reporter. They were upset because it was the only negative article post-FIBA. They were upset because K responded.

Uhhh... WHAT?! How on earth does a guy who is supposedly so bright NOT get why people were upset?

First off, Jay, it didn't have any impact on my undies. Instead, it just seemed massively and unnecessarily insulting to a coach who many of us like and respect. And we were upset because the article had an aggressive and unnecessarily venomous tone, because it was TOTALLY illogical when it made any real attempt to make a point (nary a mention of Cal and Karl Towns, right?) and because there was absolutely no factual basis for it.

Oh. And you know the part where that tool said that K basically set up a photo op with Kenny George so he could prove to recruits and their families how caring he was? Yeah. Calling K a heartless schemer doesn't help your cause.

And Jay... when some jackass reporter says effectively that your coach set up a photo op for PR when a guy was hurt, it SHOULD bother you. It should BOTHER THE HELL OUT OF YOU.

I just don't get Jay. For years I got so frustrated at folks who bashed on him about not caring about Duke, all while completely ignoring all of Jay's connections and contributions to Duke.

So... can anyone with Insider maybe enlighten me as to what Jay was actually writing about? Does he actually explain how such an aggressive and mean-spirited article NOT bother him?
Probably important to know what he wrote in full... before you get your pants in a bunch.😜

But seriously, I do agree he seems to be trying harder and harder to be "unbiased."

Lord Ash
09-22-2014, 07:18 PM
I am upset by what he DID write that I read. That's why I was hoping someone who read the whole article could explain how Jay wasn't bothered and how he actually addressed why people were upset about the article.

sagegrouse
09-22-2014, 07:51 PM

Oh. And you know the part where that tool said that K basically set up a photo op with Paul George so he could prove to recruits and their families how caring he was? Yeah. Calling K a heartless schemer doesn't help your cause.

Uhhhh.... Lord Ash. Bilas says he disagrees with almost everything in the article. WojNo has said basically the same thing before. He thinks (a) that the story would have died if K had ignored the article and (b) the constant chorus of "it's not fair" -- leveled at Duke, Kentucky and so on -- is demeaning to CBB and trivializes the sport.

Lord Ash
09-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Hm.

A very strange opening, then, to that article. The dismissive tone, the apparent complete lack of understanding about why people were angered by the article, not being bothered at his former coach being accused of milking a serious player injury for PR and of his dedication to USA basketball being nothing more than cover for marketing Duke... And all of that in the pre-paywall text?

And the idea that the story would have gone away if K hadn't commented on it seems completely off base. The story was already fading when K commented, and I haven't seen any noticeable increase in coverage SINCE K commented (and certainly not the level there was pre-K-comment.). From what I've seen the only coverage has been people literally covering what K said, same as they did for when Jim B said something and when a Cal tweeted. I certainly haven't seen nearly as much analysis as there was before K commented.

Well, I haven't read the whole thing... Maybe what I didn't see was thoughtful and understanding, because the beginning was anything but. I know if someone wrote something like that about my coach at Duke I would not have handled it that way.

Thanks Sage.

Bluedog
09-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Uhhhh.... Lord Ash. Bilas says he disagrees with almost everything in the article. WojNo has said basically the same thing before. He thinks (a) that the story would have died if K had ignored the article and (b) the constant chorus of "it's not fair" -- leveled at Duke, Kentucky and so on -- is demeaning to CBB and trivializes the sport.

Thanks for the information. Coach K did ignore the article as best he could really. During his press conference, one of the first questions from the media was, "what was your reaction to the woj/yahoo piece"? Coach K responded that he'd rather not speak to one particular article or columnist, but if there were specific questions that the media wants to ask him, he'll do his best to answer. Which led to a barrage of "does coaching usa basketball give you an unfair recruiting advantage? " etc. If Coach K refused to answer those questions, everybody would be lambasting him for being uncooperative with the media. So, it was never a direct response to the article, simply questions the media asked him that they clearly got from the article.

ice-9
09-22-2014, 10:48 PM
A very strange opening, then, to that article. The dismissive tone, the apparent complete lack of understanding about why people were angered by the article, not being bothered at his former coach being accused of milking a serious player injury for PR and of his dedication to USA basketball being nothing more than cover for marketing Duke... And all of that in the pre-paywall text?

I believe in the industry we call that...click bait!

A controversial headline or introduction to get you to want to read the rest, and/or to tell others about it.

Lord Ash
09-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Yeah... I guess I was hoping Jay would be above that, given the subject matter.

Li_Duke
09-23-2014, 10:10 AM
In the article, Jay pretty much says that even though he disagreed with Woj's various assertions, the reason why it didn't bother him is that such assertions are nothing new/relevant. The only one he really took issue with was the whining about recruiting advantages. I like that his tone is respectful disagreement with strong criticism reserved for what he considered the worst assertion. Given that he's a former Duke player, it still gets the message across and is much better received by the general public than if he had written an outraged response to everything Woj wrote.

Lord Ash
09-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Just as a follow up, Jay spent several hours on twitter last night going at it with people about the Woj article. Makes me very happy to see, because the article was both illogical and insulting.