PDA

View Full Version : The ACC: Week 4

Wander
09-17-2014, 06:31 PM
Duke will crush Tulane, UNC will be upset by East Carolina, a couple other interesting non-conference games, blah blah whatever.

Here's the only thing I want to talk about: the college football national championship may be influenced by an internet meme. The FSU star quarterback is suspended for a half of the game against Clemson because he got up on a table in the student union and yelled something that the boards won't let me type, but go look it up on deadspin. Not hard to envision a scenario where this causes FSU to miss the playoffs (of course, it's still Clemson).

Combined with the Miami fake punt fainting goat thing (http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/9/15/6155295/arkansas-state-attempted-the-worst-fake-punt-weve-ever-seen if you haven't seen it), this is the ACC's most absurd week of all time.

Bob Green
09-17-2014, 07:03 PM
...UNC will be upset by East Carolina...

East Carolina is the favorite, North Carolina is the underdog!

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/teams/team-page.cfm/team/east-carolina

The over/under is set at 66 so Vegas is predicting a 34-32 victory for the Pirates.

Olympic Fan
09-17-2014, 07:34 PM
While the FSU-Clemson game is the headliner -- and could indeed be impacted by Jameis Winston's suspension for one half, I think it's an extremely interesting week for the ACC.

For one thing, the schedule features three ACC-Big 10 games: Iowa at Pitt; Maryland at Syracuse and Miami at Nebraska. The ACC is 4-2 against the power conferences ...

I have the ACC probably winning six of 10 non-conference games: Tulane at Duke; Army at Wake Forest; Presbyterian at NC State; Maine at Boston College; Louisville at FIU; and Iowa at Pitt.

I rate one game an almost certain ACC loss: Virginia at BYU (of course, I thought Southern Cal at BC was a loss too)

I rate three games as tossups: UNC at ECU, Miami at Nebraska and Maryland at Syracuse.

Also, there is a second ACC game -- Georgia Tech at Virginia Tech -- the last six meetings between these two tams have been decided by six points or less. Also, until Duke broke the string last year, one of these two has won EVERY Coastal Division title since the league went to divisions.

Aside from the Duke game, my number one wish is that Syracuse beats the Twerps ... No. 2 is that ECU beats the Cheats ... No. 3 is Miami over the Huskers.

devildeac
09-17-2014, 07:35 PM

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/teams/team-page.cfm/team/east-carolina

The over/under is set at 66 so Vegas is predicting a 34-32 victory for the Pirates.

AARRGGHH!!!!

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/ecu/graphics/ecu-14-mast-logo.png

OldPhiKap
09-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Combined with the Miami fake punt fainting goat thing (http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/9/15/6155295/arkansas-state-attempted-the-worst-fake-punt-weve-ever-seen if you haven't seen it), this is the ACC's most absurd week of all time.

The best part is from the video at the bottom of the article, where the guy gets leveled.

Almost as strange as the barking inbound play:

http://youtu.be/HZ_VZyEKk1c

uh_no
09-17-2014, 08:00 PM
The best part is from the video at the bottom of the article, where the guy gets leveled.

Almost as strange as the barking inbound play:

http://youtu.be/HZ_VZyEKk1c

They don't have a good angle though.

http://i.imgur.com/N94qt2x.gif

what you don't see is the fact that the receiver was wide open, and the punter made a throw an average HS guy could make....25 yards was all he needed...and shorted it by like 10

Wander
09-17-2014, 08:48 PM
I have the ACC probably winning six of 10 non-conference games: Tulane at Duke; Army at Wake Forest; Presbyterian at NC State; Maine at Boston College; Louisville at FIU; and Iowa at Pitt.

I rate one game an almost certain ACC loss: Virginia at BYU (of course, I thought Southern Cal at BC was a loss too)

I rate three games as tossups: UNC at ECU, Miami at Nebraska and Maryland at Syracuse.

I'd move both UVA-BYU and Army-Wake into the tossup category. Virginia has looked surprisingly good so far this season, and Army is actually a slight favorite at Wake (surprising to me too).

Nice catch, probably should have been able to guess that given how the two teams have looked so far.

Potato Head
09-17-2014, 09:07 PM
ECU is a proper team. I don't think we could beat them in Greenville. UNC is going to get slaughtered.

OldPhiKap
09-17-2014, 09:13 PM
ECU is a proper team. I don't think we could beat them in Greenville. UNC is going to get slaughtered.

Y'all know what an optimist I am about Duke football.

ECU may be the best college team in the state.

And that does not speak ill of us.

devildeac
09-17-2014, 09:38 PM

But, we are still reigning state "champs;)." For the last 2 years, IIRC. NC is "Our State"/Cut Country, remember:D.

(you may well be right this year about the Pirates)

uh_no
09-17-2014, 09:53 PM

love winning all these games, but really wish we'd schedule NCSU (ooc) and ECU every year, or at least once every couple years....heck even a rotation of NCCU Elon NCSU ECU would be cool

actually forget this. we should leave the ACC and make a carolina league

UNC
Duke
Wake
NCSU
ECU
NCCU
ELon
App State
Davidson

everyone plays everyone in football. double round robin in Bball leaving enough room for a big OOC slate

wouldn't work, but would be awesome

Tripping William
09-18-2014, 09:23 AM
I'd move both UVA-BYU . . . into the tossup category. Virginia has looked surprisingly good so far this season . . . .

I know the transitive property is dangerous & all, but . . . . UVA lost to UCLA at home. UCLA came away with a 3-point win over Texas in Austin. BYU beat Texas in Austin by 34 points. And UVA@BYU (at Provo altitude) is a "toss-up"? Can't get on that train.

Olympic Fan
09-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Virginia beat BYU last season in Charlottesville ... and Virginia is a better team now.

But so is BYU ... and I think the venue (and the altitude) will all work in BYU's favor.

My predictions were not based on the odds, but on my feelings. I think it's pretty certain that BYU will win ... and that Wake will beat Army.

I can see where somebody else might feel that both games are tossups.

PS I'd love to see Virginia upset BYU. Not only would it be good for the ACC, it would remove BYU from the ridiculous speculation that they could win one of the four spots in he playoffs by going undefeated against an undistinguished schedule.

Wander
09-18-2014, 11:54 AM
You guys are right, "tossup" for UVA-BYU was too far. I'd say halfway between "tossup" and "almost certain loss."

Henderson
09-19-2014, 10:07 AM

UNC-CH opened as a 2 point favorite, meaning that over the past few days money has been flowing heavily in ECU's favor.

OldPhiKap
09-19-2014, 10:12 AM
UNC-CH opened as a 2 point favorite, meaning that over the past few days money has been flowing heavily in ECU's favor.

Where is the game?

Duvall
09-19-2014, 10:15 AM
Where is the game?

At ECU.

I can't think of a reason why UNC should be able to win this game, which means they probably will.

Tripping William
09-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Pitt = ouch. Cuse = double ouch.

howardlander
09-20-2014, 05:58 PM
and that may be giving to much credit to Carolina's defense. What offers less resistance than butter? ECU has 443 yards of total offense. At the half ...

Howard

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Can we institute the same anti-jinx posting rule for football that we have adopted during hoops season?

sagegrouse
09-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Oh. my!! It's getting ugly in Greenville, 56-27! But sometimes ugly is beautiful.

Acymetric
09-20-2014, 06:42 PM
What is a pirate's favorite letter?

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-20-2014, 06:49 PM
What is a pirate's favorite letter?
G? T? H? or is it C?

:cool:

howardlander
09-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Well you are probably right, but I don't seem to have helped the heels much, as the score is now 63 - 27. Of course there is a lot of time left.

On a serious note, are we seeing the downside of the Fedora offensive plan? Running a play every 15 seconds is a good idea if you actually have the better team. Otherwise it may be you are just running up the score on yourself.

Howard

Can we institute the same anti-jinx posting rule for football that we have adopted during hoops season?

arnie
09-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Well you are probably right, but I don't seem to have helped the heels much, as the score is now 63 - 27. Of course there is a lot of time left.

On a serious note, are we seeing the downside of the Fedora offensive plan? Running a play every 15 seconds is a good idea if you actually have the better team. Otherwise it may be you are just running up the score on yourself.

Howard

Just turned it on - fedora's laying an egg. ECU should have 750 or more yards by end of game.

NashvilleDevil
09-20-2014, 07:13 PM

ECU came darn close to getting the over on their own.

Correction: they got the over themselves

arnie
09-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Just turned it on - fedora's laying an egg. ECU should have 750 or more yards by end of game.

Uh let me revise that to 800+ yards

howardlander
09-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Uh let me revise that to 800+ yards

ECU now has 748 yards and 70 points. So 800 is within reach. 900 will be a stretch.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-20-2014, 07:39 PM
ECU now has 748 yards and 70 points. So 800 is within reach. 900 will be a stretch.
ECU with the 70 burger!

Let's take the Tar Heels' spot in the polls!

dukelifer
09-20-2014, 07:47 PM

ECU came up 11 yards short but still broke the record of most yards against a UNC team. Should officially knock UNC out of the rankings.

Tripping William
09-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Not a surprise that there isn't a single D in "University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill." Or in "Tar Heels" for that matter. ARRRRRRRR! :)

But a really rough day for the ACC overall.

Duvall
09-20-2014, 08:17 PM
ECU came up 11 yards short but still broke the record of most yards against a UNC team. Should officially knock UNC out of the rankings.

Well, maybe. The University of the Peoplle is still the Team of the Future, and an official Sleeping Giant. Just ask them.

Duvall
09-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Not a surprise that there isn't a single D in "University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill." Or in "Tar Heels" for that matter. ARRRRRRRR! :)

But a really rough day for the ACC overall.

Well, Miami's offense looks good. Their defense looks....vulnerable?

NashvilleDevil
09-20-2014, 08:49 PM

Miami has nothing to worry about. Trust me as a Nebraska fan the Canes will wins this one by 17+ points.

Duvall
09-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Clemson's offense looks out of sync. They might only be able to score 40 on UNC next week.

Wander
09-20-2014, 08:55 PM

Luckily, they're only playing Nebraska. Could you come up with a more "remember the glory days" matchup?

UVA did pretty well, but got destroyed by BYU's, not kidding, punter (I guess the altitude helps).

OldPhiKap
09-20-2014, 08:55 PM
70-41?!?

BWAHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

arnie
09-20-2014, 09:16 PM
70-41?!?

BWAHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Fedora and/or IC blaming the refs yet?

sagegrouse
09-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Fedora and/or IC blaming the refs yet?

The sight of a coach named "Fedora" wearing a baseball cap on the sidelines displeases the gods of sports. Get a new chapeau, Larry, maybe the Frank Sinatra model. No, not a hounds-tooth check.

4Gen
09-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Imagine what ECU would do to an unranked team.

Duvall
09-20-2014, 09:39 PM
So the ACC isn't getting a team in the playoff this year? Eh, it's only money.

arnie
09-20-2014, 09:59 PM
So the ACC isn't getting a team in the playoff this year? Eh, it's only money.

Unless FSU pres decides Winston's suspension should be lifted now due to good behavior.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-20-2014, 10:03 PM
Unless FSU pres decides Winston's suspension should be lifted now due to good behavior.
Apparently Winston showed up in full uniform, helmet on. Jimbo rolled his eyes and sent Winston back up the tunnel to change clothes. He returned to the sidelines where he's been having a grand ole time.

sagegrouse
09-20-2014, 11:14 PM
Pitt = ouch. Cuse = double ouch.

Plus UNC and Miami (still in progress) on the losing side. UVa gave a good showing in an 8-point lost in Provo against BYU.

Wake edged Army by three -- plus L'ville, BC, State (still in progress) and Duke winning in routs.

FerryFor50
09-20-2014, 11:45 PM
Either Clemson hates beating #1 ranked teams or FSU has several horseshoes buried in their posteriors.... FSU should have lost this one handily, but Clemson has kept them in it with missed FGs, botched snaps, inexplicable play calling and a huge fumble as time was winding down.

FerryFor50
09-20-2014, 11:58 PM
And the Clemson collapse is complete.

Bluedog
09-21-2014, 12:01 AM
I guess it's good for the ACC for FSU to say #1....but I think I like the Clemson team more. They played better than FSU for the most part, but made way too many mistakes in the red zone. Feel bad for the kicker, who I'm sure is kicking himself tonight.

FerryFor50
09-21-2014, 12:05 AM
I guess it's good for the ACC for FSU to say #1....but I think I like the Clemson team more. They played better than FSU for the most part, but made way too many mistakes in the red zone. Feel bad for the kicker, who I'm sure is kicking himself tonight.

If it weren't for Winston, I wouldn't really care either way.

Olympic Fan
09-21-2014, 12:34 AM
Great, great night of football (and it's not over -- Oregon and a terrible Washington State team are tied at the half)

FSU stays in the playoff race -- I think they would have even with the loss. The committee guidelines (like NCAA basketball) say the committee is supposed to take into account when a team loses without its top player. A close loss without Winston would have put the committee in a tough spot (assuming that was FSI's only loss).

Tonight showed how much Winston means to FSU ...

Anyway, three easy games ahead before they get Notre Dame in Tallahassee. as long as Winston doesn't do anything else stupid (I'd guess 50-50 odds), they should be okay.

The rest of the ACC went just about as I expected it -- Wake won, Virginia lost. My one bad call was Pitt losing at home to Iowa (blowing a 17-7 halftime lead). Plus, the ACC lost all three of its tossup games. I didn't mind seeing ECU putting up 70 on the Tar Heels -- and that was with one of their top wide receivers suspended for the game.

It's likely to be a tough stretch for UNCheat. Their next six games are (in order): at Clemson; Virginia Tech; at Notre Dame; Georgia Tech; at Virginia; and at Miami. They'll be lucky to win two of those.

I just glad we don't have to hear about them as a top 25 team any more. I noticed some people mentioned that we might break into the top 25 -- and we might. But I won't be heartbroken if we don't -- as lopsided as our four wins have been, I understand that we haven't played anybody. If we get in, great. If not, we can earn it next week at Miami (which is a very talented team, despite its two losses).

But I've said from the beginning that it made no sense that UNC was in the preseason top 25. They had done nothing to warrant such on honor. Their inclusion bothered me a lit more than our exclusion. Now, I assume the voters can see what most of us saw before the first game.

YmoBeThere
09-21-2014, 05:56 AM
What offers less resistance than butter?

The Maginot Line?

Not a good day for the ACC. From Winston's continued stupidity to actual play on the field.

Duke_92
09-21-2014, 09:13 AM
A UNC linebacker is quoted as saying "they're not better than us" as he walks off the field. This kind of attitude is one the many reasons this victory was so sweet for the Pirates. After you hang 70 on a team you don't care if they respec you or not.

howardlander
09-21-2014, 09:30 AM
A UNC linebacker is quoted as saying "they're not better than us" as he walks off the field. This kind of attitude is one the many reasons this victory was so sweet for the Pirates. After you hang 70 on a team you don't care if they respec you or not.

Yeah, I saw this in the paper too. And they wonder why people hate them. How arrogant do you have to be to absorb an epic butt kicking like that and still just assume you are the better team?

Howard

Papa John
09-21-2014, 09:34 AM

Wait a minute... Are you sure it wasn't Ademola Okulaja?

YmoBeThere
09-21-2014, 10:18 AM
He is a "Communication studies major". Apparently, self-awareness is not part of the curriculum.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2014, 11:31 AM
They cheat, AND still get whipped. How humiliating is that?

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Add denial and it's a sad recipe.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Cleverness will get you a game day invitation!

OldPhiKap
09-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Anyone want to take odds on whether UNc has a new defensive coordinator before Wednesday?

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Anyone want to take odds on whether UNc has a new defensive coordinator before Wednesday?

How many coordinators will have to be replaced to turn the program around? How long can a head coach survive blaming others? (Note: see Franks, Carl)

Wander
09-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Nice to see the ACC has retaken its rightful place as the worst of the power conferences. Thanks for the tease, Big 10.

Bluedog
09-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Nice to see the ACC has retaken its rightful place as the worst of the power conferences. Thanks for the tease, Big 10.

We're still ahead of the B1G in most rankings (and I think we're better overall)....Having the #1 team in the country probably helps.

http://realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_conf_Men.html ACC #5, B1G #6
http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/overall-power-ranking-by-conf ACC #3, B1G #5; ACC is 1-8 vs Top 25, whereas B1G is 0-5. However, in the 26-50 range, ACC is 4-3, while B1G is 0-5. That's right, the B1G is 0-10 vs the top 50 teams.

Wander
09-21-2014, 12:55 PM
That's right, the B1G is 0-10 vs the top 50 teams.

Missouri isn't a top 50 team? Something's gotta be wrong there, right?

My snarky comment aside, I think the ACC and BigWhatever are probably about tied behind, in order, the SEC, Pac 12, and Big 12.

Bluedog
09-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Missouri isn't a top 50 team? Something's gotta be wrong there, right?

My snarky comment aside, I think the ACC and BigWhatever are probably about tied behind, in order, the SEC, Pac 12, and Big 12.

Good point - not sure how Mizzou isn't top 50 according to that site...I guess it's more like a kenpom site and with just four games in, not enough data points to be completely relevant, so I probably shouldn't have included it. It has us at 21 though. :)

Channing
09-21-2014, 09:39 PM
wow ... Clemson Clemsoned all over themselves. That was epic last night.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Is that like getting Munsoned?

Wander
09-22-2014, 01:27 AM

Clemson has to be the only team in football to whom the following would happen: get a touchdown brought back by review, but still inside the opponent's 1 yard line with 1st and goal, line up in shotgun formation, snap the ball 20+ yards backwards over the QB's head, burn a time out, miss the field goal, and have it all be the difference between a road win against the #1 team in the country and losing.

oldnavy
09-22-2014, 06:39 AM

And then you have this from IC:

-- 1957unc wrote:

How many players are ECU playing that could not qualify for UNC?

Get waxed by ECU and then try to play the "superior student athlete card".... their arrogance is unlimited.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-22-2014, 07:16 AM

-- 1957unc wrote:

Get waxed by ECU and then try to play the "superior student athlete card".... their arrogance is unlimited.
They must have meant that the ECU players are already way past that grade level in math and reading.

FerryFor50
09-22-2014, 09:54 AM

-- 1957unc wrote:

Or having Marquise Williams play the "this is their Super Bowl" card.

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/colleges/x711470284/ECU-puts-up-historic-numbers-in-70-41-rout-of-UNC

“They claim it’s their state and they took ownership of it,” UNC quarterback Marquise Williams said. “This is their Super Bowl, and those guys came out and wanted it more. They had the dog in them and I guess we didn’t find our dog tonight.”

roywhite
09-22-2014, 10:30 AM

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/colleges/x711470284/ECU-puts-up-historic-numbers-in-70-41-rout-of-UNC

Well, that's pretty funny. Like the results in 2013 vs ECU hadn't gotten the Heels attention?

Seems like the Daily Tar Heel noticed it, in this blog post made before the recent contest

UNC football puts past behind, eyes redemption at ECU (http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2014/09/unc-football%20puts%20past%20behind%20eyes%20redemptio n%20at%20ecu)

They can’t avoid the questions.

What do you remember from last season’s loss? Have you followed East Carolina this season ? How long have you been looking forward to this game?

The North Carolina football team’s players and coaches have heard it all this week as they’ve prepared for Saturday’s road game against East Carolina (2-1, 0-0 AA AA C).

In 2013, the Pirates torched UNC, 55-31, at Kenan Stadium — ECU’s first win against UNC since 2007.

Since then, the Tar Heels (2-0, 0-0 ACC) have tried to forget the loss. But as the questions are rattled off, their memories come rushing back from the 2013 game — ECU’s 101 offensive plays, 603 total yards and a series-high 55 points.

devildeac
09-22-2014, 10:31 AM

-- 1957unc wrote:

They must have meant that the ECU players are already way past that grade level in math and reading.

I can't seem to recall any ECU cheating scandals in recent years either...

;)

Mal
09-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Let's just rehash: 789 yards. 70 points.

There was one approx. 28 minute stretch of the game, from 6 minutes left in the first half to when ECU stopped passing to run out the game with about 8 minutes left, during which ECU garned 6 touchdowns (one of them defensive) and a missed field goal, with no punts or turnovers, and racked up 456 yards. Less than half the game, 42 points, over 450 yards. More than South Carolina gave up to Eastern over 60 full minutes. I don't care how good of an offense you're playing. That is staggeringly bad.

For comparison purposes, North Carolina Central gave up 200 less yards to ECU. One could blame that on Fedora's offensive philsophy, but then again Central managed just 10 offensive first downs against the Pirates, so it's not like they were keeping their defense off the field or anything. We gave up about 550-575 against FSU and TAMU last season. Those felt like we just couldn't get a stop to save our lives, and this was 40% worse, against a good team, but hardly the national champs or Johnny Football.

789 yards.

No, that doesn't mean we're going to whip them, too. I won't get overconfident. My point is simply to open up a bottle of fine schaden and gulp the freude out of it. UNC gets the Nelson Muntz laugh this week.

Olympic Fan
09-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Let's just rehash: 789 yards. 70 points.

There was one approx. 28 minute stretch of the game, from 6 minutes left in the first half to when ECU stopped passing to run out the game with about 8 minutes left, during which ECU garned 6 touchdowns (one of them defensive) and a missed field goal, with no punts or turnovers, and racked up 456 yards. Less than half the game, 42 points, over 450 yards. More than South Carolina gave up to Eastern over 60 full minutes. I don't care how good of an offense you're playing. That is staggeringly bad.

For comparison purposes, North Carolina Central gave up 200 less yards to ECU. One could blame that on Fedora's offensive philsophy, but then again Central managed just 10 offensive first downs against the Pirates, so it's not like they were keeping their defense off the field or anything. We gave up about 550-575 against FSU and TAMU last season. Those felt like we just couldn't get a stop to save our lives, and this was 40% worse, against a good team, but hardly the national champs or Johnny Football.

789 yards.

No, that doesn't mean we're going to whip them, too. I won't get overconfident. My point is simply to open up a bottle of fine schaden and gulp the freude out of it. UNC gets the Nelson Muntz laugh this week.

Keep in mind that after playing Liberty and Fresno State, UNC was already dead last in the ACC in total defense (427.5 yards a game) most points allowed (28.0 a game).

That was BEFORE East Carolina.

I think they will be chewed up this week at Clempson (which lost in OT to FSU, but found their quarterback)

After that, they get Virginia Tech a home. That's an absolute must win with games at Notre Dame, Georgia Tech at home, at Virginia and at Miami coming up next. Maybe Georgia Tech ... maybe Virginia (although they rarely win in C'ville)

This season could get away from them very quickly.

Black Mambo
09-22-2014, 03:40 PM

I hope they save some "season getting away from them" for the basketball team :)

OldPhiKap
09-22-2014, 04:08 PM

They started last year something like 1-5 or 0-4 or something, although to be fair they had the hardest part of their schedule front-loaded.

Here, they are staggering out of ECU and have to go to Death Valley?!? With a hacked-off Clemson opponent?!? After giving up 70 points and almost 800 yards?!?!?

I can't believe that they cheated so brazenly just to have a team this bad. At least when Clemson cheated, they were dominant even when on probation.

You think Clemson wants to hang at least 71 on the Heels? I do.

roywhite
09-22-2014, 04:22 PM
They started last year something like 1-5 or 0-4 or something, although to be fair they had the hardest part of their schedule front-loaded.

Here, they are staggering out of ECU and have to go to Death Valley?!? With a hacked-off Clemson opponent?!? After giving up 70 points and almost 800 yards?!?!?

I can't believe that they cheated so brazenly just to have a team this bad. At least when Clemson cheated, they were dominant even when on probation.

You think Clemson wants to hang at least 71 on the Heels? I do.

Can't see why any ACC opponent would take it easy on the Heels. Sportsmanship/fair play? -- sorry, Heels, you showed us long ago how little that means to your players, coaches, administrators and 98% of your fans.

Fire away, Tigers. Fire at will.

FerryFor50
09-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Can't see why any ACC opponent would take it easy on the Heels. Sportsmanship/fair play? -- sorry, Heels, you showed us long ago how little that means to your players, coaches, administrators and 98% of your fans.

Fire away, Tigers. Fire at will.

If only for all of the basketball beatings...

Clemson is 0 and whatever at the Dean Dome still.

Bob Green
09-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Clemson is 0 and whatever at the Dean Dome still.

Clemson's basketball 0-fer is not limited to the Dean Dome, they are 0 and whatever in Chapel Hill.

roywhite
09-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Clemson's basketball 0-fer is not limited to the Dean Dome, they are 0 and whatever in Chapel Hill.

Clemson's first basketball loss in Chapel Hill -- 1926

Year of the so-called Helms National Championship -- 1924

BigWayne
09-22-2014, 06:27 PM

ACC is leading the way this week with 6 out of the 10 members of the Misery Index. At least the Big 10 has the #1 spot.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/09/21/misery-index-week-4-michigan-florida-north-carolina-virginia-tech-clemson/16006061/

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-22-2014, 07:10 PM

Pretty hilarious since ECU seems well on its way to a bowl. The heels? Hopefully on their way to the toilet bowl.

lotusland
09-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Is that like getting Munsoned?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Clemsoning

Gamecock fans are full of themselves over "Clemsoning" becoming a national meme.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-22-2014, 07:19 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Clemsoning

Gamecock fans are full of themselves over "Clemsoning" becoming a national meme.
The Snooki word usage example takes the cake.

TruBlu
09-22-2014, 08:35 PM
ACC is leading the way this week with 6 out of the 10 members of the Misery Index. At least the Big 10 has the #1 spot.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/09/21/misery-index-week-4-michigan-florida-north-carolina-virginia-tech-clemson/16006061/

At least UNC is ranked in something, coming in at #3.

Quote from the article: "Meanwhile, this North Carolina team that started the season in the top 25 has proved itself to be a fraud."

Yes, they are a fraud - - in more ways than one.

FerryFor50
09-22-2014, 09:01 PM
At least UNC is ranked in something, coming in at #3.

Quote from the article: "Meanwhile, this North Carolina team that started the season in the top 25 has proved itself to be a fraud."

Yes, they are a fraud - - in more ways than one.

Oh there is plenty to like in that article.

3. North Carolina: In a vacuum, the state's flagship university should not lose to a directional school very often. Then again, East Carolina is not your normal directional school, and North Carolina is not your standard underachieving state school with all of the resources and none of the know-how. Year after year, there's something extra mediocre about North Carolina. It's hard to quantify, though, until you look at the Tar Heels next to the product ECU is able to put on the field. And unfortunately for North Carolina fans, they have had to see that direct comparison made the last couple of years. It was bad enough for the Tar Heels to sit through last year's 55-31 beatdown by Pirates and be unable to offer much resistance. This year, though, was an even bigger embarrassment for North Carolina: 70-41 and an unimaginable 789 yards of offense given up to quarterback Shane Carden and company. ECU is really good, but that good? Meanwhile, this North Carolina team that started the season in the top 25 has proved itself to be a fraud. It trailed Liberty in the third quarter before rallying for a win, squeaked by San Diego State 31-27 and came out after a bye week and looked totally overwhelmed by ECU. Not a good team. Not a good program.​

devildeac
09-22-2014, 10:52 PM

Yea, that is bad, but at least the cheaters have the #3 spot:D.

BigWayne
09-23-2014, 07:55 PM
ACC schedule is out for 10/4, but Jim didn't post it since we have a bye that week.

Friday, Oct. 3 (previously announced)
Louisville at Syracuse, ESPN, 7 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 4
Virginia Tech at North Carolina, ACC Network, 12:30 p.m.
NC State at Clemson, ESPNU, 3:30 p.m.
Wake Forest at Florida State, ABC Regional, 3:30 p.m. (out of region on ESPN3)
Miami at Georgia Tech, ESPN2, 7:30 p.m.
Pitt at Virginia, RSN, 7:30 p.m.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Yea, that is bad, but at least the cheaters have the #3 spot:D.
The UNC write up is heart warming. Love the use of the word "fraud" in describing them.

nocilla
09-24-2014, 10:30 AM
https://twitter.com/TheDOB/status/514575787325153280/photo/1

A billboard has popped up in Winterville, North Carolina.

tbyers11
09-24-2014, 01:07 PM
https://twitter.com/TheDOB/status/514575787325153280/photo/1

A billboard has popped up in Winterville, North Carolina.

Love everything about that billboard but the "This is Aargh! State" tagline is AWESOME.

Not having been in Eastern NC for many years is that a common rallying cry for ECU? Or new for this billboard? Either way it is genius.

Duvall
09-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Grantland on East Carolina. (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/east-carolina-pirates-2014-college-football-playoff-plight/)

Man, the college football postseason really is a crooked-arse scheme. In any other sport - real sports, not glorified exhibitions - we would be talking about how ECU was a dark horse to make some noise in the playoffs. Instead we're debating whether they will get a chance to seize some of the crumbs thrown to the non-power conference schools. What a joke.

sagegrouse
09-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Sniff, sniff. The hashtag, of course, should be, #beneathwhom."

Wander
09-24-2014, 09:17 PM
Grantland on East Carolina. (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/east-carolina-pirates-2014-college-football-playoff-plight/)

Man, the college football postseason really is a crooked-arse scheme. In any other sport - real sports, not glorified exhibitions - we would be talking about how ECU was a dark horse to make some noise in the playoffs. Instead we're debating whether they will get a chance to seize some of the crumbs thrown to the non-power conference schools. What a joke.

I don't think most people appreciate how little the system changed. There are lots of stupid things about the college football postseason system - this new format merely took one of those many stupid things and made it slightly less stupid.

94duke
09-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Love everything about that billboard but the "This is Aargh! State" tagline is AWESOME.

Not having been in Eastern NC for many years is that a common rallying cry for ECU? Or new for this billboard? Either way it is genius.

It is a response to NC State's (2012?) campaign: This is our State
Billboards and such. unc was pretty ticked. Then ECU beat them both last year.

link to pictures (https://www.google.com/search?q=this+is+our+state+nc+state&espv=2&biw=1536&bih=854&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_3sjVNmoMJPLgwSW34CoBw&ved=0CCUQsAQ)

Olympic Fan
09-24-2014, 11:24 PM
It is a response to NC State's (2012?) campaign: This is our State
Billboards and such. unc was pretty ticked. Then ECU beat them both last year.

link to pictures (https://www.google.com/search?q=this+is+our+state+nc+state&espv=2&biw=1536&bih=854&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_3sjVNmoMJPLgwSW34CoBw&ved=0CCUQsAQ)

And Duke has an eight-game winning streak against North Carolina teams, dating back to a 2011 loss to UNC ... ECU has just a four-game in-state winning streak after losing to UNC in 2012.

In that span, Duke has beaten UNC twice, Wake twice, N.C. State, Elon and NCCU twice.

Whose State is it?