PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 9-16-14

jimsumner
09-16-2014, 02:33 PM
The injury update.

Neither Dezmond Johnson nor Lucas Patrick practiced today. David Cutcliffe says it’s too early to know for sure but right now both are questionable for Saturday. Too early to project a timetable for their return.

Cut did say that MRIs had “good results.” He said Johnson is behind Patrick.

Kyler Brown would get the start at DE should Johnson not be able to go. Jordan DeWalt-Ondigo would also start, with Britton Grier and Jonathan Jones providing experienced depth. Michael Mann also has some experience.

Cody Robinson played well at LG in Patrick’s absence. Robinson is a redshirt junior and has played a lot. But with him starting, there’s not a lot of experience on the second unit. Carson Ginn and Sam Marshall are redshirt juniors but neither has played much. However, Cut praised Ginn for his performance Saturday, so we should see more of him.

Center Matt Skura said his backup, redshirt freshman Austin Davis, had been getting some work at guard. Davis has lots of talent. Skura says the young linemen have been getting lots of reps in practice.

Cut said the team had lots of nicks and bruises but everyone else practiced today.

Duke’s tight ends caught 51 passes last season, an average of 3.7 per game. In Deaver’s absence, Duke’s tight ends have six, an average of 3.0 per game, for only 36 total yards. Deaver averaged 13 yards per catch last season.

Is this significant? Cutcliffe said the drop-off was partly by design, partly by coverage, partly because Anthony Boone hasn’t developed a confidence level with Deaver’s replacements. He expects the latter to improve as the season progresses but acknowledges that the tight ends “have to become a bigger part of our offense."

Cutcliffe said that punter Will Monday has missed some practices to attend to some personal issues. He expects Monday to re-establish his rhythm with more repetitions and expects him to “be fine.”

Cutcliffe says Shaun Wilson has an exceptional ability to change directions and top-end speed.

Duke misses Juwan Thompson more on kickoff coverage than it realized. Cutcliffe says you can’t concentrate on avoiding long returns but rather should concentrate on pinning the opposition inside their 15. Still a work in progress.

True freshman linebacker Zavier Carmichael praised David Helton’s leadership in Kelby Brown’s absence. “When Kelby got hurt, the first few days, we didn’t know how to take it. After a few days we looked around and said we’ve all got to step up. David is not as vocal as Kelby is but he has slowly but surely taken on that role. As a freshman I look to him for guidance. He’s definitely been a big help to me.”

Cutcliffe agreed, calling Helton steady and calming. “He’s been the best player he can be, while being a mentor. He’s stepped up in a big way.”
Carmichael says he expected to be redshirted before Brown’s injury. He describes his first game, against Elon. “I wasn’t sure I was running the right plays at first. I was wide-eyed, the game was too fast for me. As the game progressed, I calmed down.”

Carmichael is only 210 pounds. He says his attributes are “speed and agility on the outside. I can cover running backs better than other linebackers.” He says he’s aiming for 225 but doesn’t want to get too big.

Shaq Powell says Wilson’s success is partly due to his ability to lesson and learn the “little things” from he and Josh Snead, blocking, finishing plays, knowing the play. “He’s a runner. All I can help him with is his assignments. The rest is all him.”

Powell says Wilson has handled his success well, putting it behind him and moving on to the next week.

Tulane? Cutcliffe says they have "good athletes. They can run." No bulletin board material here. They do play a fair number of true freshmen.

Tulane linebacker Nico Marley is a grandson of reggae great Bob Marley.

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Cutcliffe said that punter Will Monday has missed some practices to attend to some personal issues. He expects Monday to re-establish his rhythm with more repetitions and expects him to “be fine.”

Thanks, Jim. This seems to answer my question posted in the post-Kansas game thread. Nice words about Kelby, not surprising at all.

Bob Green
09-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Tulane linebacker Nico Marley is a grandson of reggae great Bob Marley.

How apropos Nico plays linebacker seeing as Bob was a man who created a lot of Big Hits!

mattman91
09-16-2014, 07:15 PM
How apropos Nico plays linebacker seeing as Bob was a man who created a lot of Big Hits!

I am officially a Nico Marley fan...how cool!

jimsumner
09-16-2014, 07:29 PM

Nico's father Rohan played linebacker for Miami.

roywhite
09-16-2014, 07:34 PM

Nico's father Rohan played linebacker for Miami.

Yeah, as it turns out, big article on the Marley family in the 9/15 issue of Sports Illustrated.

The Descendants: Growing up Marley on the football field, Jamaican hillside (http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/09/11/bob-marley-nico-rohan-football-cofeee-jamaica)

In 1972 one of Bob’s many mistresses, Janet Hunt, gave birth to the son who would play college football, twice competing for national titles. For a 5' 8", 200-pound player to start as a D-I linebacker was a bit of a miracle -- especially on a team such as Miami’s, which from 1992 through ’94 had seven linebackers who would later play in the NFL. And for an undersized son of this undersized Hurricane to come along 20 years later and win co–freshman of the year honors in Conference USA was just as improbable.

PDDuke85
09-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Yeah, as it turns out, big article on the Marley family in the 9/15 issue of Sports Illustrated.

The Descendants: Growing up Marley on the football field, Jamaican hillside (http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/09/11/bob-marley-nico-rohan-football-cofeee-jamaica)

And it should also be noted Bob Marley lived at Roy William's house back in the day.