PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 47, Tulane 13

Bob Green
09-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Duke has opened as a 17.5 points favorite over the Green Wave. Discuss the game here!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Tulane will be an interesting opponent. While it doesn't influence our game playing them this year, the Green Wave opened a new stadium this season. Next year Tulane is an away game.

I have done a bit of scouting of the Tulane marching band (TUMB) which appears to have five sousaphones. Our band now has the same depth in that instrument. In terms of style, our band has been moving toward drum and bugle corps style. The Tulane band, also known as the Soundwave, performs in the many local parades following the sound and rhythm of the traditional New Orleans brass band.

One particular highlight this year is that our band currently has 130 members, a record high for recent history. The Tulane band currently has 90+ members and is in the midst of a building program just as our band is.;)

OldPhiKap
09-14-2014, 08:43 PM
Tulane will be an interesting opponent. While it doesn't influence our game playing them this year, the Green Wave opened a new stadium this season. Next year Tulane is an away game.

I have done a bit of scouting of the Tulane marching band (TUMB) which appears to have five sousaphones. Our band now has the same depth in that instrument. In terms of style, our band has been moving toward drum and bugle corps style. The Tulane band, also known as the Soundwave, performs in the many local parades following the sound and rhythm of the traditional New Orleans brass band.

One particular highlight this year is that our band currently has 130 members, a record high for recent history. The Tulane band currently has 90+ members and is in the midst of a building program just as our band is.;)

Our band will not beat a horn section from New Orleans. Preservation Hall is a long way from Durham.

Out football team will not lose to a football team from New Orleans. Cafe du Monde is detrimental to early morning practices.

Go Duke -- and Laissez les bons temps rouler!

devildeac
09-14-2014, 08:50 PM

Any idea whose band is favored and by how much?;)

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Our band will not beat a horn section from New Orleans. Preservation Hall is a long way from Durham.

Out football team will not lose to a football team from New Orleans. Cafe du Monde is detrimental to early morning practices.

There's much truth in your comments. Tulane was without a marching band for 30+ years. The resurgence has come mostly post Katrina. My comments were a bit "tongue in cheek." There is also an element of drawing attention to the growth and progress of our own band. I plan to continue this research project next year in Yulman Stadium. Let me know if you want to participate.

OldPhiKap
09-14-2014, 09:10 PM
There's much truth in your comments. Tulane was without a marching band for 30+ years. The resurgence has come mostly post Katrina. My comments were a bit "tongue in cheek." There is also an element of drawing attention to the growth and progress of our own band. I plan to continue this research project next year in Yulman Stadium. Let me know if you want to participate.

You know that you can count us in, DitBD. Hopefully we can compare schedules at a bowl game after NYE!

uh_no
09-14-2014, 09:27 PM
weather supposed to be beautiful. those mellophones ought to glimmer out there in the midafternoon sun.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-14-2014, 10:10 PM
You know that you can count us in, DitBD. Hopefully we can compare schedules at a bowl game after NYE!
Once I see next year's schedule, I can share more details with you. I'm planning to travel via The Crescent which originates at NY Penn Station and terminates in New Orleans. (The Crescent goes through Atlanta.) If enough folks are interested, we might be able to have a car or two designated as the Blue Devil Special, a flashback to the train which transported the team to the 1939 Rose Bowl.

Atldukie79
09-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Now I might get excited for a train ride to New Orleans next year...How fitting that train travel and Duke football prowess might come together next year. Great idea!

Also, like anything else, the Duke band apparently just needed money to grow. 5 years ago my son was the only tuba in the band. I believe they started paying some (all?) of the band members the year he left. Can anyone validate the pay for play DUMB?

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Now I might get excited for a train ride to New Orleans next year...How fitting that train travel and Duke football prowess might come together next year. Great idea!

Also, like anything else, the Duke band apparently just needed money to grow. 5 years ago my son was the only tuba in the band. I believe they started paying some (all?) of the band members the year he left. Can anyone validate the pay for play DUMB?
The last I heard the stipends were for sousaphone players (greatest need) with the hope of eventually being able to offer stipends to others. My tailgate group has been raising money during the football season to help the band continue to grow. PM me if you're interested in more information or want to contribute.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-14-2014, 11:43 PM

Now about the train.....The Crescent makes one northbound and one southbound trip per day. Following are departure times for the Crescent southbound:
Greensboro 12:22A
Charlotte 2:45A
Atlanta 8:38A
Birmingham 12:09P
New Orleans 7:32P

If one purchases a sleeping accommodation (equivalent of first class), meals are included along with bottled water, coffee, fresh towels and bed linens, soap and shower amenities, daily newspaper. The attendants are pleasant and helpful. They take care of change over from day accommodations to night accommodations. The food is pretty good, some dishes reflecting a regional theme.

Socializing in the dining and lounge cars can be a lot of fun. (If we travel as a group, meal reservations or arrangements can be set up so we meet at meal time.)

Upon arrival in NOLA, those with sleeping accommodations are whisked along with their luggage directly to the cab stand. The station in NOLA is not far from the warehouse district and the Super Bowl.... quick, easy cab ride to many fine hotels. Departure for the northbound run is around 7A. There's a lounge for first class passengers (sleeping accommodating). Breakfast is ready not long after the train is underway.

For those unfamiliar with train travel, sleeping compartments are not hotel rooms, but they are comfortable and quiet.... seating by day, bed(s) by night. Electrical outlets are available.

FYI This train passes Bryant-Denny Stadium in the daytime, usually while you're in the dining car... be sure to sit on the west side of the aisle.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Duke #27 is AP poll, #26 in USA Today poll. Let's take care of business this Saturday! It would be a strange new world if next week, a ranked Duke team visited an unranked Miami team.

But first things first -- hold back the Green Wave! They gave GTech all they could handle in New Orleans.

noladevil
09-15-2014, 10:18 PM
I am in NOLA and have attended both of Tulane's home games. Tulane as a program is heading in the right direction, but has some weaknesses that Duke should be able to exploit. Quarterback Tanner Lee is a redshirt freshman with an NFL build and an absolute cannon of an arm. Older Duke fans think Dave Brown. He is only completing 50% of his passes but has moved the team and has 7 touchdowns in 3 games. He is very calm in the pocket, but thinks he can complete anything and has frequently thrown into coverage, even when checkdowns were available. The receivers are solid, and include two reliable seniors and three promising freshmen. Tulane has a freshman running back in Sherman Badie who is similar to Shawn Wilson - small but with breakaway speed - he is averaging over 9ypc and ran for over 200 yards at Tulsa. The defense is decent - though they lost some experienced and talented bulk up front. Linebacker Nico Marley (yes, its Bob's grandson) is only about 180lbs but plays with an amazing reckless abandon and is always around the football. The DB's are good, similar to Duke, with CB Lorenzo Doss on every pre-season award list and SS Sam Scofield a tackling machine.

But...........Duke has two HUGE advantages. First, Tulane has abysmal special teams. The freshman K missed a 20 yard game winner against Tulsa and has badly missed 2 more FG's. The punter is averaging 33 yards, has had one blocked and multiple close calls. Coverage units aren't much better, and return units are unspectacular. I'd give a 10 point edge to the Duke special teams and expect at least one special teams TD and big field position gains. The second advantage is just pure coaching. Tulane is young and undisciplined and penalty-prone. On top of that, offensive coordinator Eric Price is not a good playcaller - being hired after leading Memphis (who always has athleticism) to 120th of 121 FBS programs. Last year's Tulane team went 7-5 on the strength of its defense, while its offense was in the bottom quartile of the FBS.

If Tulane somehow plays disciplined football, Duke only has a slight edge. But special teams, overall team discipline, and offensive playcalling are all huge edges for Duke. Tulane may hang around for awhile but I'm expecting about a 3 touchdown win. Wish I could make the trip but I will be heading in the other direction to go to parent's weekend at Rice.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-15-2014, 10:41 PM
I am in NOLA and have attended both of Tulane's home games. Tulane as a program is heading in the right direction, but has some weaknesses that Duke should be able to exploit. Quarterback Tanner Lee is a redshirt freshman with an NFL build and an absolute cannon of an arm. Older Duke fans think Dave Brown. He is only completing 50% of his passes but has moved the team and has 7 touchdowns in 3 games. He is very calm in the pocket, but thinks he can complete anything and has frequently thrown into coverage, even when checkdowns were available. The receivers are solid, and include two reliable seniors and three promising freshmen. Tulane has a freshman running back in Sherman Badie who is similar to Shawn Wilson - small but with breakaway speed - he is averaging over 9ypc and ran for over 200 yards at Tulsa. The defense is decent - though they lost some experienced and talented bulk up front. Linebacker Nico Marley (yes, its Bob's grandson) is only about 180lbs but plays with an amazing reckless abandon and is always around the football. The DB's are good, similar to Duke, with CB Lorenzo Doss on every pre-season award list and SS Sam Scofield a tackling machine.

But...........Duke has two HUGE advantages. First, Tulane has abysmal special teams. The freshman K missed a 20 yard game winner against Tulsa and has badly missed 2 more FG's. The punter is averaging 33 yards, has had one blocked and multiple close calls. Coverage units aren't much better, and return units are unspectacular. I'd give a 10 point edge to the Duke special teams and expect at least one special teams TD and big field position gains. The second advantage is just pure coaching. Tulane is young and undisciplined and penalty-prone. On top of that, offensive coordinator Eric Price is not a good playcaller - being hired after leading Memphis (who always has athleticism) to 120th of 121 FBS programs. Last year's Tulane team went 7-5 on the strength of its defense, while its offense was in the bottom quartile of the FBS.

If Tulane somehow plays disciplined football, Duke only has a slight edge. But special teams, overall team discipline, and offensive playcalling are all huge edges for Duke. Tulane may hang around for awhile but I'm expecting about a 3 touchdown win. Wish I could make the trip but I will be heading in the other direction to go to parent's weekend at Rice.
Thank you for this firsthand scouting report.

See you in 2015!

Bob Green
09-16-2014, 06:49 AM
Here is a recap of Tulane's last game:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2014/09/tulane_football_channels_qb_ta.html

Tulane coach Curtis Johnson on penalties:

"Absolutely we had some, too, that's the thing we have to improve on penalties and turnovers."

Quarterback Tanner Lee on getting outscored 17-7 in the 2nd half:

"The second half has kind of been a problem for us so far this year, I don't know if that's just us being young. It's turnovers, it's penalties, it's hurting ourselves but that's something we can clean up. It's a focus thing."

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-16-2014, 01:18 PM
A brief interruption in preparation for Saturday's game: I've collected the information needed to set up a Blue Devil Special on Amtrak next fall when Duke goes to Tulane. Soon after the 2015 football schedule is announced, the plans can be set up and folks can begin making their arrangements to be part of this historic journey. (An historic note related to being in New Orleans: Duke beat Alabama in the 1945 Sugar Bowl. It's never too late to celebrate a victory.);)

Henderson
09-16-2014, 02:35 PM
According to Adam Rowe, Duke will bust out the "Duke" script helmets for the Tulane game. Frankly, I'm not a fan of that look (even less a fan of the blue on black helmets). I like the blue and white with the Iron Duke helmet. Simple, symbolic.

Bob Green
09-16-2014, 03:18 PM
According to Adam Rowe, Duke will bust out the "Duke" script helmets for the Tulane game.

@DukeFBEquipment agrees:

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-16-2014, 03:25 PM
According to Adam Rowe, Duke will bust out the "Duke" script helmets for the Tulane game. Frankly, I'm not a fan of that look (even less a fan of the blue on black helmets). I like the blue and white with the Iron Duke helmet. Simple, symbolic.
It's Former Players Day. Wearing this helmet is another salute to the '89 team.

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2014, 03:38 PM
It's Former Players Day. Wearing this helmet is another salute to the '89 team.
I think it is for the '94 team. Mike Sobb mentioned that they will be on hand for the Tulane game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-16-2014, 03:45 PM
I think it is for the '94 team. Mike Sobb mentioned that they will be on hand for the Tulane game.

Good to know. I had seen the note about the '89 team elsewhere and wondered about it.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-16-2014, 07:04 PM

It's interesting that former players are commenting on FB that it looks like the '89 helmet to them.

At least it's the right colors!:cool:

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2014, 07:24 PM
It's interesting that former players are commenting on FB that it looks like the '89 helmet to them.

At least it's the right colors!:cool:
If you want to check out the script helmet in action, take a look at this video from the TV show "Scrubs". Duke is playing GT at the 15 second mark. (Game was in 1999.) How many years did we use that design?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhFRTZ4uTRc

The '89 guys sported the script pretty well, too!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-16-2014, 07:38 PM
If you want to check out the script helmet in action, take a look at this video from the TV show "Scrubs". Duke is playing GT at the 15 second mark. (Game was in 1999.) How many years did we use that design?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhFRTZ4uTRc

The '89 guys sported the script pretty well, too!

It seems as if it was used for most of the "modern era"!

BigWayne
09-16-2014, 08:39 PM
In the late 70's we had really ugly gray helmets apparently.

http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/775/77helmet.jpg

In 1979 with the Red Wilson era, we moved to blue helmets with the Duke script.
http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/775/80helmet.jpg

White helmets with the script Duke were introduced in 1981. I believe this was at the behest of a certain offensive coordinator because he felt it was going to make it easier for the quarterback to spot receivers downfield and he planned to do a lot of passing.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51X6WmeDtEL._SX450_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/DEVILS-1981-1984-Football-Helmet-STICKERS/dp/B00A00ZDHA

The almost new blue helmets were given to the club football team and were a big upgrade from what they had previously used.

peloton
09-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Several things:

1. Devil in the Blue Dress, at the very least I'd have to look into going down to Nawlins via The Blue Devil Special as I've yet to visit this historic and unique city. Shame on me though as I had the opportunity long ago (pre-Katrina) to go with my wife to a conference there.

2. Not that I don't like the team's current helmet design (and variations), but I always really liked the Duke script with the subtle devil's tale emanating from the top of the 'D'. I thought the flowing script looked trés cool/modern. Ironically, although the design's pretty long in the tooth I still do. Not as timeless I admit as the classic Iron Duke 'D', but pretty cool nevertheless.

3. Provided that the 1994 team's being honored at the Tulane game, I suspect that (if he attends) one Robert Baldwin might just get a huge round of applause from the fans (and ex-teammates...especially offensive linemen!). Granted, he had a lot of help from the big guys up front, but what he did on his own breaking tackles and punishing would be tacklers was something this Duke fan won't soon forget. Current RB Jela Duncan reminds me of him at times.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-17-2014, 05:12 PM
From the game notes emailed today:
• Bioventus serves as the official game sponsor of this week’s contest ... In addition, the Blue Devils will celebrate Throwback Day at Wallace Wade Stadium as Duke’s helmet-uniform combination commemorates the 25th anniversary of the program’s ACC Championship in 1989

It's wonderful to continue to honor the'89 team throughout the season. There are some marvelous events and accomplishments to celebrate in Duke football history and it's high time to do so!

CameronBornAndBred
09-17-2014, 05:22 PM
It's wonderful to continue to honor the'89 team throughout the season. There are some marvelous events and accomplishments to celebrate in Duke football history and it's high time to do so!
It's also nice to be making history as we celebrate it. :D

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-17-2014, 05:36 PM
It's also nice to be making history as we celebrate it. :D
Absolutely!

Jim3k
09-18-2014, 01:32 AM
For some historical perspective, here's a link to The Helmet Project (http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/). It's not 100% accurate, but pretty good. You have to click ACC and then go down to historic helmets to find Duke. I like that Duke used the Block D in the mid-seventies. It certainly feels right today.

In the late 70's we had really ugly gray helmets apparently.

That was one of the helmets under Mike McGee. Not terrible, IMO.

In 1979 with the Red Wilson era, we moved to blue helmets with the Duke script.

Ehhh...not well liked. To me, the script felt (and is) just wrong.

White helmets with the script Duke were introduced in 1981. I believe this was at the behest of a certain offensive coordinator because he felt it was going to make it easier for the quarterback to spot receivers downfield and he planned to do a lot of passing.

White helmets with blue script still felt, and feels, wrong. White with just numbers, a nod to the Murray days, would have been OK.

As you can see, I am not a fan of the script lettering.

http://www.amazon.com/DEVILS-1981-1984-Football-Helmet-STICKERS/dp/B00A00ZDHA (http://www.amazon.com/DEVILS-1981-1984-Football-Helmet-STICKERS/dp/B00A00ZDHA)

The almost new blue helmets were given to the club football team and were a big upgrade from what they had previously used.

Jobe01
09-18-2014, 08:49 AM
Now about the train.....The Crescent makes one northbound and one southbound trip per day. Following are departure times for the Crescent southbound:
Greensboro 12:22A
Charlotte 2:45A
Atlanta 8:38A
Birmingham 12:09P
New Orleans 7:32P

If one purchases a sleeping accommodation (equivalent of first class), meals are included along with bottled water, coffee, fresh towels and bed linens, soap and shower amenities, daily newspaper. The attendants are pleasant and helpful. They take care of change over from day accommodations to night accommodations. The food is pretty good, some dishes reflecting a regional theme.

Socializing in the dining and lounge cars can be a lot of fun. (If we travel as a group, meal reservations or arrangements can be set up so we meet at meal time.)

Upon arrival in NOLA, those with sleeping accommodations are whisked along with their luggage directly to the cab stand. The station in NOLA is not far from the warehouse district and the Super Bowl.... quick, easy cab ride to many fine hotels. Departure for the northbound run is around 7A. There's a lounge for first class passengers (sleeping accommodating). Breakfast is ready not long after the train is underway.

For those unfamiliar with train travel, sleeping compartments are not hotel rooms, but they are comfortable and quiet.... seating by day, bed(s) by night. Electrical outlets are available.

FYI This train passes Bryant-Denny Stadium in the daytime, usually while you're in the dining car... be sure to sit on the west side of the aisle.

I sent you a pm D w/ a BD. I'd like to get the info concerning the train trip for next season. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Jobe

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Announcement from the Iron Dukes:
Our Throwback Thursday post goes out to the 1954 Orange Bowl team and the 1994 Hall of Fame Bowl team who along with the Wallace Wade era 1950 team will be honored at this weekend's game for Former Players day!

Reilly
09-20-2014, 05:31 AM
Gameday Saturday.

The video on the 1989 team is worth watching.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209663789&DB_OEM_ID=4200

OldPhiKap
09-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Game Day! WHOOP!!!!!

peloton
09-20-2014, 11:21 AM
It's going to be real interesting to see what transpires in regard to Shaun Wilson today...how do you followup last weekend's performance?! I'd love to see continued pressure from the defensive line on the other teams' quarterbacks. Here's hoping that Anthony is on target today from the start - can hardly wait until kickoff. We are Duke!!

jimsumner
09-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Dez Johnson officially out for today. Jonathan Jones will start in his place.

sagegrouse
09-20-2014, 12:33 PM
I am getting the game here in Colorado on the MSG channel -- DirecTV # 634. Shhhh..... don't tell anyone.

riverside6
09-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Live stats for Duke/Tulane...

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=6649

sagegrouse
09-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Ugh, what unimaginative play calling. Six runs by the QB in seven plays -- gaining 75 yards and a TD.

arnie
09-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Live stats for Duke/Tulane...

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=6649

75 yard td drive- all yards on QB runs.

bbosbbos
09-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Our D does not exist. :confused:

Acymetric
09-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Our D does not exist. :confused:

Nor do our fans apparently.

dukebballcamper90-91
09-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Is this game on tv? what channel? sorry if I missed this communicated earlier?

Mabdul Doobakus
09-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Minimal resistance by either defense so far in this one. Definitely a disappointing opening drive by our D...wasn't expecting them to get pushed back so easily.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-20-2014, 12:57 PM

Depends where you live, I guess. I'm watching on Fox Sports Florida.

sagegrouse
09-20-2014, 01:02 PM
First time I have seen the stadium on HD TV. I like the new blue seats -- that way the folks coming disguised as empty seats are all wearing Duke blue.

sagegrouse
09-20-2014, 01:03 PM

In Colorado I am getting the game on DirecTV ch. 634 -- MSG network.

bbosbbos
09-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Is the Miami game at home? We should be able to see much more fans in acc games, imho.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Is the Miami game at home? We should be able to see much more fans in acc games, imho.

The Miami game is in Miami, which is home for me :)

For what it's worth, a Miami game against Tulane would have about as many fans as you see out there today.

grad_devil
09-20-2014, 01:07 PM
There's the defense.

Nice defensive stand on that drive.

bbosbbos
09-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Saw it. Very good D now. What a safety.

There's the defense.

Nice defensive stand on that drive.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Wow, bizarre safety on maybe the worst snap I've ever seen.

sagegrouse
09-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Wow, bizarre safety on maybe the worst snap I've ever seen.

Suggested position change for Tulane "long snapper" becomes "long, long snapper."

Jeremy Cash -- wow!

bbosbbos
09-20-2014, 01:19 PM
D is picking up. Very impressed now.

ricks68
09-20-2014, 01:24 PM
In Colorado I am getting the game on DirecTV ch. 634 -- MSG network.

If I pay an extra 40 bucks a months I can avoid the blackout with Direct TV here in Asheville on 634 also. Are they crazy?! :mad: (I already know the answer to that one.) I wonder what will happen during basketball season.:(

ricks

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-20-2014, 01:27 PM
If I pay an extra 40 bucks a months I can avoid the blackout with Direct TV here in Asheville on 634 also. Are they crazy?! :mad: (I already know the answer to that one.) I wonder what will happen during basketball season.:(

ricks

Don't sweat it - Duke doesn't get relegated to ESPN3 in basketball season.

arnie
09-20-2014, 01:28 PM
D is picking up. Very impressed now.

Huge mistake by Snead stumbling into punter- gives Tulane an extended drive. Reminds me if the horrific Roof special teams. Need to tighten up on D.

ricks68
09-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Don't sweat it - Duke doesn't get relegated to ESPN3 in basketball season.

I hope that it doesn't mean that they will black us out on the other espn channels.

ricks

(I hope that you didn't miss out on the Cold Mountain that they had at the Thirsty Monk Thursday night.)

bbosbbos
09-20-2014, 01:41 PM
O + D are not stable at all. Made some good plays then got lost.

Huge mistake by Snead stumbling into punter- gives Tulane an extended drive. Reminds me if the horrific Roof special teams. Need to tighten up on D.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Our D definitely got lucky on that last drive. Giving up huge chunks in the run game before Tulane's QB decided to throw a perfect pass to one of our guys.

dukelifer
09-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Our D definitely got lucky on that last drive. Giving up huge chunks in the run game before Tulane's QB decided to throw a perfect pass to one of our guys.

Horrible throw by Boone

arnie
09-20-2014, 02:05 PM

And Boone does same. His stats are OK but doesn't look sharp.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Yeah, pretty sloppy performance overall.

grossbus
09-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Saw trip McNeil on sideline with one crutch. What's his status?

duke09hms
09-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Yeah, pretty sloppy performance overall.

And yet we are up 26-7. Is our schedule really that easy? Guess we will find out next week at Miami. Hope they win tonight to set up a clash of the undefeated, and I can't stand the Big 10.

sagegrouse
09-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Positives of the Madison Square Garden Network are the bedbug commercials, presumably aimed at NYC audiences. Or, maybe they're aimed at us.

duke09hms
09-20-2014, 03:08 PM
Looks like we have a game on our hands boys

Acymetric
09-20-2014, 03:15 PM
These AAC refs are worse than our defense.

duke09hms
09-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Wow Tulane is really shooting themselves in the foot with untimely TOs. Running on us all day then INTs and failed 4th down plays. Just fumbled a punt return back over to us.

ChrisP
09-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Apologies, but I can't watch on ESPN3 and cannot even get a live audio stream for the radio broadcast so...relegated to ESPN's stupid "Gametracker". Seems like Boone is still not sharp from what I can tell but was wondering if it might just be the D that Tulane is playing. Any insights appreciated!

grossbus
09-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Wilson makes it happen!

duke09hms
Boone has been mediocre. Some good passes, some terrible. Consistently inconsistent? We'll find out for sure next week.

arnie
Wow Tulane is really shooting themselves in the foot with untimely TOs. Running on us all day then INTs and failed 4th down plays. Just fumbled a punt return back over to us.

Wilson can explode! Ugly game but good to be ahead by 20.

grossbus
09-20-2014, 03:35 PM
"And yet we are up 26-7. Is our schedule really that easy? Guess we will find out next week at Miami. Hope they win tonight to set up a clash of the undefeated, and I can't stand the Big 10."

Wasn't too long ago that we would lose these games

duke09hms
09-20-2014, 03:45 PM
"And yet we are up 26-7. Is our schedule really that easy? Guess we will find out next week at Miami. Hope they win tonight to set up a clash of the undefeated, and I can't stand the Big 10."

Wasn't too long ago that we would lose these games

Make that 40-13. Trust me, I definitely know how far we've come. Just saying, our redshirt senior QB could be a lot more consistent.

davekay1971
09-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Make that 40-13. Trust me, I definitely know how far we've come. Just saying, our redshirt senior QB could be a lot more consistent.

True, ditto, and true!

Henderson
09-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Sportcenter TD!!

ChrisP
09-20-2014, 03:54 PM
OMG Gametracker SUCKS!!!!! According to it, Tulane just tried to run it on 4th and like 15, fumbled it, recovered it, got a TD, then threw an interception which Duke then returned for a TD. All in the same play. Umm...yeah.

I suppose I should be happy we got another TD though! :cool:

pfrduke
09-20-2014, 03:59 PM
OMG Gametracker SUCKS!!!!! According to it, Tulane just tried to run it on 4th and like 15, fumbled it, recovered it, got a TD, then threw an interception which Duke then returned for a TD. All in the same play. Umm...yeah.

With the exception of the Tulane TD, that's basically accurate. Punter fumbled snap, lineman recovered it and tried to advance, as he was being tackled he tossed it in the air, which a Duke player picked off and returned for a touchdown.

neuro
09-20-2014, 04:01 PM

Gametracker doesn't always do well with some types of scores, especially when there is a change of possession. But, it was ALMOST right in this case.

It went like this, run on 4th and 15, fumble, recovered by Tulane, forward pass which was intercepted and run back for a TD by Duke. so 4/5 of the descriptions on the play were correct (the error being the Tulane touchdown). :)

mattman91
09-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Gametracker doesn't always do well with some types of scores, especially when there is a change of possession. But, it was ALMOST right in this case.

It went like this, run on 4th and 15, fumble, recovered by Tulane, forward pass which was intercepted and run back for a TD by Duke. so 4/5 of the descriptions on the play were correct (the error being the Tulane touchdown). :)

Almost...it started on a botched punt attempt.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Great game end to end. How about Duke in the top 25 going to the meat of the schedule?

Way to win the games we are "supposed to."

How bout we take UNC'S SPOT?

Go ECU!
Go Duke!

sagegrouse
09-20-2014, 04:36 PM
Almost...it started on a botched punt attempt.

Let me expand. The long, long snapper for Tulane did it again, and the punter barely got a fingertip on the ball and never got control. A lineman picked it up and, since it was 4th down, tried to advance the ball by tossing it. It was "forward" but not really a pass. Joseph Ajeigbe picked it off and ran it into the end zone.

Winning 47-13 is nice, but please understand that Duke scored 23 points on turnovers -- 16 points on immediate scores and one on a short drive after a muffed punt. Also, Tulane was twice in position to score and got nothing.

neuro
09-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Winning 47-13 is nice, but please understand that Duke scored 23 points on turnovers -- 16 points on immediate scores and one on a short drive after a muffed punt. Also, Tulane was twice in position to score and got nothing.

Ah, the "moral loss" argument! :) I remember with fondness the old days, when we had many many "moral victories", and few (if any) REAL victories.

Here's to a season full of moral losses!! ;)

pfrduke
09-20-2014, 04:42 PM

34-point moral losses at that, too.

cspan37421
09-20-2014, 04:55 PM
34-point moral losses at that, too.

Our schedule to date has been about as strong as Bud Select 55. We face some real tests ahead, then we'll know more about our team's strength.

Papa John
09-20-2014, 06:01 PM

Those points count, though... You realize that, right?

Look, it was a very uneven game by our guys, and Boone looked downright sloppy at times, but we still come away with a solid win.

Kedsy
09-20-2014, 06:29 PM

OK, get out your stop watch: How long does it take between going 3-9 for the second consecutive season, under .500 for the 17the consecutive season, to complaining about 47-13 victories? If you had "two years, nine months," you're a winner.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-20-2014, 06:39 PM
OK, get out your stop watch: How long does it take between going 3-9 for the second consecutive season, under .500 for the 17the consecutive season, to complaining about 47-13 victories? If you had "two years, nine months," you're a winner.
Yep. Sure signs of basketball-like expectations on the horizon.

Can't we just enjoy our team winning big without qualifying it each team? Let's leave that for Laura Keeley to handle.

sagegrouse
09-20-2014, 06:40 PM

Ah, the "moral loss" argument! :) I remember with fondness the old days, when we had many many "moral victories", and few (if any) REAL victories.

Those are your words ("moral, etc."), not mine. It was a good win by a resourceful team that took advantage of its opportunities. I got no complaint, and Tulane has some talent.

neuro
09-20-2014, 06:57 PM
Those are your words ("moral, etc."), not mine. It was a good win by a resourceful team that took advantage of its opportunities. I got no complaint, and Tulane has some talent.

Agreed. For the record, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth or pick a fight or anything like that. I was just simply trying to have a little fun after another "W" by our football team. Also I was just trying to highlight the AWESOME position Duke is in right now, in that we get to "complain" about a WIN! I remember that not to long ago comments such as "Richmond has a strong team this year" or "Western Carolina has an ACC caliber quarterback" etc, to make us feel better about losses. :p

Sometimes the margin in a game doesn't reflect what really happened. In this case, I agree. The large margin in this game is not so much a reflection of Duke's dominance as much as a reflection of Tulane's mistakes. Without those bad mistakes, it would have been a much closer ballgame.

Neuro aka Sotirios Keros

arnie
09-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Yep. Sure signs of basketball-like expectations on the horizon.

Can't we just enjoy our team winning big without qualifying it each team? Let's leave that for Laura Keeley to handle.

Yea it's fun no matter the style points. Plus what's happening in Greenville is truly astounding.

brlftz
09-20-2014, 07:19 PM

i enjoy the win, but the interesting thing to me this season is whether we will beat teams like miami and ga tech. that makes the quality of play something valid to discuss, i would think, regardless of the outcome

dukelifer
09-20-2014, 07:34 PM
i enjoy the win, but the interesting thing to me this season is whether we will beat teams like miami and ga tech. that makes the quality of play something valid to discuss, i would think, regardless of the outcome

Miami and Ga Tech are a big step up but this Duke team has some talent. Duke is well prepared to give them both good games. Should be fun to watch.

wilson
09-20-2014, 09:09 PM
Wilson can explode!wilson is the man.
Wilson is also the man.

FerryFor50
09-20-2014, 09:22 PM
I remember when Duke would schedule teams like Tulane, Troy, Elon, etc and would either lose or struggle to pull out a win. For instance, losing in 2010 to Army. Or 2009 to FCS school Richmond. Blown out in 2009 by a Kansas team that finished 5-7.

Now, they're taking care of business in blowout wins. Easy schedule or not, they're winning the games they're supposed to win and even pulling off some wins they aren't supposed to. It's a good feeling.

Wander
09-20-2014, 10:04 PM
Miami and Ga Tech are a big step up but this Duke team has some talent. Duke is well prepared to give them both good games. Should be fun to watch.

I honestly think that we're the favorite in the Coastal - if it wasn't for our two big injuries I'd say it more definitively - both because I think we (a) have the best team and (b) drew the worst two teams, Wake and Syracuse, from the other division. It's new territory for us, but I don't think we need to worry about not being competitive against the GTs of the world anymore.

jwillfan
09-20-2014, 10:42 PM
So if I say "2 more wins we are bowl eligible" - today no one's satisfied with that, despite never having been to 3 bowls in a row before. If you'd said it 3 years ago, most folks would have been. You know the team is not! I think that's pretty dang cool.

fuse
09-20-2014, 10:46 PM
I honestly think that we're the favorite in the Coastal - if it wasn't for our two big injuries I'd say it more definitively - both because I think we (a) have the best team and (b) drew the worst two teams, Wake and Syracuse, from the other division. It's new territory for us, but I don't think we need to worry about not being competitive against the GTs of the world anymore.

It's a fine line between confidence and hubris.
I'd say some of the inconsistent and sloppy play could be a symptom of looking ahead to Miami and not respecting Tulane.

I am glad we are a program on the rise, and I agree the future is bright.
I still see us as a team that needs the right focus every week to be competitive and earn a win.

I don't want to misinterpret what you mean by not being competitive against the GTs of the world anymore, and I think that is a dangerous train of thought for players and fans alike. No one is rolling over for Duke football.
Our football team should keep playing with a chip on its shoulder and turn the disrespect into fuel for wins.

Assuming easy wins sets the team up for trap games and disappointment. As an example, don't think for a minute the UNC that let ECU hang 70 points on them today won't be looking to play the spoiler later this season when they show up at Wallace Wade.

Wander
09-20-2014, 10:55 PM
I'd say some of the inconsistent and sloppy play could be a symptom of looking ahead to Miami and not respecting Tulane.

I still see us as a team that needs the right focus every week to be competitive and earn a win.

I don't want to misinterpret what you mean by not being competitive against the GTs of the world anymore, and I think that is a dangerous train of thought for players and fans alike. No one is rolling over for Duke football.
Our football team should keep playing with a chip on its shoulder and turn the disrespect into fuel for wins.

Assuming easy wins sets the team up for trap games and disappointment. As an example, don't think for a minute the UNC that let ECU hang 70 points on them today won't be looking to play the spoiler later this season when they show up at Wallace Wade.

Hey, I agree with all that. We still need to focus and not take anything for granted, because we're probably not going to roll over conference opponents like FSU did before their goofball quarterback was screaming FHRITP in public, but at the same time, we don't need to wonder about if our 4-0 start is simply an artifact of our schedule setting us up to be blown out by decent teams. It's not. We're legit.

devildeac
09-20-2014, 11:05 PM

Hey, I agree with all that. We still need to focus and not take anything for granted, because we're probably not going to roll over conference opponents like FSU did before their goofball quarterback was screaming FHRITP in public, but at the same time, we don't need to wonder about if our 4-0 start is simply an artifact of our schedule setting us up to be blown out by decent teams. It's not. We're legit.

Good points. As of right now, I might wager a small amount that during the next practice at some point, Cut tells the guys that we are now 0-0.

gep
09-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Not only did Duke win the games they were a supposed to win (rarely happened before Coach Cut) but Duke won in convincing fashion, 4-0. Nothing to sneeze at

GO DUKE !!!!!!!

And, yes, conference starts... Now 0-0

Olympic Fan
09-21-2014, 12:44 AM
Not complaining -- I'll never complain about a 47-13 win, but it was a very sloppy game -- Duke was sloppy, Tulane was sloppy and the refs were sloppy.

Did anyone watching on TV see the replay on the pass interference call on the deep pass in the third quarter? For all the world, it looked like the Duke defender had position and the Tulane defender behind him tried to shove him out of the way. When the flag came out, I was sure the penalty would be for offensive pass interference.

Did the TV replay show something that we couldn't see in person?

Also, the spots were terrible all day -- both ways ... sometimes in our favor, sometime in theirs.

We had our first two turnovers of the season, but we were lucky that we didn't have our first five turnovers of the season. Tulane did have five turnovers, but their biggest problem was that their long snapper was a total incompetent. Not only did he mess up the two punt snaps, but on their missed extra point, he rolled the ball back there. And he had about three other punt snaps that were high and wide, although the punter was able to haul them in.

Through it all, our defense gave up just 13 points, despite giving up some 370 yards. I'm sure when the ACC stats come out, Duke will be near the bottom in total defense (yards allowed), but I'm certain the Devils will still lead the league by a wide margin in least points allowed. Interesting note: UNC led the ACC in most points allowed per game BEFORE giving up 70 to ECU.

loran16
09-21-2014, 12:54 AM
Not complaining -- I'll never complain about a 47-13 win, but it was a very sloppy game -- Duke was sloppy, Tulane was sloppy and the refs were sloppy.

Did anyone watching on TV see the replay on the pass interference call on the deep pass in the third quarter? For all the world, it looked like the Duke defender had position and the Tulane defender behind him tried to shove him out of the way. When the flag came out, I was sure the penalty would be for offensive pass interference.

Did the TV replay show something that we couldn't see in person?

Also, the spots were terrible all day -- both ways ... sometimes in our favor, sometime in theirs.

There was also the fact that on the first botched snap (the safety), it TOTALLY looked like Devon Edwards jumped early, which would've negated the safety.

We had our first two turnovers of the season, but we were lucky that we didn't have our first five turnovers of the season. Tulane did have five turnovers, but their biggest problem was that their long snapper was a total incompetent. Not only did he mess up the two punt snaps, but on their missed extra point, he rolled the ball back there. And he had about three other punt snaps that were high and wide, although the punter was able to haul them in.

Through it all, our defense gave up just 13 points, despite giving up some 370 yards. I'm sure when the ACC stats come out, Duke will be near the bottom in total defense (yards allowed), but I'm certain the Devils will still lead the league by a wide margin in least points allowed. Interesting note: UNC led the ACC in most points allowed per game BEFORE giving up 70 to ECU.

Laura Keeley tweeted that Tulane's regular long snapper was hurt.

Let's be real for a second: Yards allowed or gained is more predictive of future success on D or O than points. It's not a great thing to allow this many yards, PARTICULARLY on the ground. The secondary is totally solid, even if Fields is definitely being targetted by opposing QBs and being beat a bunch, but the issues of the D Line continue to be a major problem. The next two opponents feature killer running attacks - Duke Johnson for Miami and THE ENTIRE OFFENSIVE SCHEME for Georgia Tech. If we want to keep it rolling, something needs to improve there.

Richard Berg
09-21-2014, 12:54 AM
I agree, although Fields made some mistakes today (and was frequently being targeted as a result), I thought for sure he was going to get the benefit of an offensive-interference call on that play in the right corner of the endzone.

Bob Green
09-21-2014, 07:17 AM
The secondary is totally solid, even if Fields is definitely being targetted by opposing QBs and being beat a bunch, but the issues of the D Line continue to be a major problem. The next two opponents feature killer running attacks - Duke Johnson for Miami and THE ENTIRE OFFENSIVE SCHEME for Georgia Tech. If we want to keep it rolling, something needs to improve there.

Defensive line performance certainly remains a concern. When Jamal Bruce (91) and Carlos Wray (98) are in at defensive tackle performance is noticeably stronger than when Mike Ramsay (99), A.J. Wolf (93) or Jamal Wallace (95) are on the field. The problem is the starters cannot play every down.

The D-line also struggles to generate a pass rush on their own. Bringing heat with the blitz is the only way the opponent's QB is pressured.

There is lots of room for improvement, but being 4-0 through the non-conference schedule is awesome. And we are 4-0 in dominant fashion winning those four games by an average margin of 32 points.

devildeac
09-21-2014, 08:37 AM
In the Raleigh N&O this AM, it was reported that Tulane's long snapper tore a hamstring in warm-ups. The snap on their punt that went for the safety was reported to have gone through the uprights. Retrospectively, I'm surprised the refs didn't review that one and give Tulane 3 points:rolleyes:. It was indeed that bad. I'm surprised that Bob Green, seated in the end zone, didn't travel home with a souvenir yesterday:rolleyes:.

jimsumner
09-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Defensive line performance certainly remains a concern. When Jamal Bruce (91) and Carlos Wray (98) are in at defensive tackle performance is noticeably stronger than when Mike Ramsay (99), A.J. Wolf (93) or Jamal Wallace (95) are on the field. The problem is the starters cannot play every down.

The D-line also struggles to generate a pass rush on their own. Bringing heat with the blitz is the only way the opponent's QB is pressured.

There is lots of room for improvement, but being 4-0 through the non-conference schedule is awesome. And we are 4-0 in dominant fashion winning those four games by an average margin of 32 points.

I thought Wallace played well. But he's 280, a bit on the small side for a DT, while A.J. Wolf, Keilin Rayner and Allen Jackson are in the 260-270 range. Mike Ramsay is 295 but he's a redshirt freshman and subject to the learning curve imposed on most redshirt freshmen.

So, yes, I would expect Miami to challenge the interior of Duke's DL with Duke Johnson. A lot.

BigWayne
09-21-2014, 02:07 PM
There was also the fact that on the first botched snap (the safety), it TOTALLY looked like Devon Edwards jumped early, which would've negated the safety.

I thought he snapped it early on purpose to draw the penalty when our guy jumped. I was surprised there was no flag.

uh_no
09-21-2014, 02:11 PM
no dice on the AP poll this week

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll/2014/5

MCFinARL
09-21-2014, 02:18 PM
no dice on the AP poll this week

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll/2014/5

Well, since the teams that did jump into the top 25 this week are Mississippi St., which upset LSU, and East Carolina, which beat Virginia Tech right after the Hokies upset Ohio State and absolutely demolished ranked UNC, I can't really argue with that.

uh_no
09-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Well, since the teams that did jump into the top 25 this week are Mississippi St., which upset LSU, and East Carolina, which beat Virginia Tech right after the Hokies upset Ohio State and absolutely demolished ranked UNC, I can't really argue with that.

4-0

the voters consistently find reasons not to give us votes....we've been hovering outside the poll all season while consistently taking care of business...watching teams with losses leap frog us.

uh_no
09-21-2014, 02:23 PM
and since it wasn't up on the AP site, here's the others receiving votes:

Others Receiving Votes: Duke (4-0) 86; Penn State (4-0) 81; Clemson (1-2) 48; TCU (2-0) 35; Marshall (4-0) 33; Utah (3-0) 31; Washington (4-0) 30; Georgia Tech (4-0) 22; Boston College (3-1) 19; West Virginia (2-2) 15; Cincinnati (2-0) 11; Arizona (4-0) 9; Arkansas (3-1) 9; Missouri (3-1) 5; Oregon State (3-0) 5; North Dakota State (4-0) 3; Pittsburgh (3-1) 1; Indiana (2-1) 1

despite being 26th, we weren't particularly close to 25th. somewhat disappointing. top teams beat up on patsies and move up..pundits say "a win is a win"

duke beats up on patsies and pundits say "well their schedule has been too easy"

#ChipOnShoulder

Papa John
09-21-2014, 03:12 PM
I thought he snapped it early on purpose to draw the penalty when our guy jumped. I was surprised there was no flag.

In looking at the replay, Edwards simply timed his jump perfectly. And I seriously doubt that the backup long snapper was snapping the ball early on purpose to draw a penalty... The poor kid had enough trouble as it was just snapping the ball...

As for rankings... If we just continue to take care of business, we will move into the top-25... Next play...

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-21-2014, 03:17 PM
In looking at the replay, Edwards simply timed his jump perfectly. And I seriously doubt that the backup long snapper was snapping the ball early on purpose to draw a penalty... The poor kid had enough trouble as it was just snapping the ball...

As for rankings... If we just continue to take care of business, we will move into the top-25... Next play...

Preparation meets opportunity.

MCFinARL
09-21-2014, 05:49 PM
4-0

the voters consistently find reasons not to give us votes....we've been hovering outside the poll all season while consistently taking care of business...watching teams with losses leap frog us.

Well, I don't really disagree, though I think some of this has to do with where teams start. It's true that East Carolina jumped over Duke despite a loss; the other teams with a loss ahead of Duke were already ahead. I can still justify East Carolina (in my own mind, at least) by the strength of their victories and the fact that their loss was to ranked South Carolina. But I'm not about to suggest that anyone making a contrary argument is clearly wrong.

On the bright side, the coaches have slotted Duke in at #23. So there you go.

PS I have to correct my earlier post; UNC had been ranked earlier but was not ranked this week when East Carolina beat them.

sagegrouse
09-21-2014, 05:56 PM
PS I have to correct my earlier post; UNC had been ranked earlier but was not ranked this week when East Carolina beat them.

UNC was unranked in AP last week but was #25 in the Coaches Poll.

loran16
09-21-2014, 06:05 PM
I agree, although Fields made some mistakes today (and was frequently being targeted as a result), I thought for sure he was going to get the benefit of an offensive-interference call on that play in the right corner of the endzone.

Fields was targetted the last 3 weeks in particular quite a bit - I'm not sure if that's because we're putting him against top WRs (I don't know who those would be on these teams and that seems like something Breon Borders is better suited for) or because teams see something in the tape.

That said, even if he's being beat a bunch, he's so far at least playing satisfactorily, and will likely improve. So I can't complain too much. I do wish we'd give him safety help sometimes a little more.

DU82
09-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Fields was targeted the last 3 weeks in particular quite a bit - I'm not sure if that's because we're putting him against top WRs (I don't know who those would be on these teams and that seems like something Breon Borders is better suited for) or because teams see something in the tape.

That said, even if he's being beat a bunch, he's so far at least playing satisfactorily, and will likely improve. So I can't complain too much. I do wish we'd give him safety help sometimes a little more.

Watching yesterday, we thought that the coaches' instructions to Fields was to play relatively deep, and not get beat and give up a long ball. He didn't seem to be out of position, but always a few yards back of the receiver. Not great for "position" but good for not allowing a long TD. I'd like to see him tighten up, since he gave up some first downs, but overall, it's not been a problem. Again, we'll see how he handles the (in theory) better competition in the coming weeks.

MCFinARL
09-21-2014, 09:39 PM
UNC was unranked in AP last week but was #25 in the Coaches Poll.

Ah, so my memory was not quite as bad as I thought. Always good news. Thanks.

billy
09-21-2014, 11:50 PM
One spot ahead of ECU despite their thrashing of UNC yesterday

uh_no
09-22-2014, 12:26 AM

ESPN has us slotted into the orange bowl too....so some love...just not from AP voters

Jim3k
09-22-2014, 04:37 AM
ESPN has us slotted into the orange bowl too....so some love...just not from AP voters

Didn't see that, but here ESPN has us targeted (http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls/projections) for the Belk Bowl or the Duck Commander ... uh, Independence Bowl.

CBS (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions) has us in the Belk,

while SBNation (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/9/14/6147131/bowl-playoff-projections-predictions-2014-alabama-fsu-oregon-oklahoma) slots us for the Detroit Bowl.

Fun..but all meaningless at this stage. Pay no attention to this click bait. Let's win six first--then seven to ten (or twelve). At that point we can talk about bowls.

budwom
09-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Perhaps I missed it, but shouldn't there be extra special mention of Tulane's long snapper putting on (arguably) the worst performance EVER seen in Wallace Wade?

The first stringer tore his hamstring during warmups, the backup gave us a safety when his snap when higher over the punter's head than I've ever seen, perhaps
15 to 20 ft. Laura Keeley said (inaccurately) that it went thru the uprights. No, it didn't, but it was spectacularly bad.

He followed that with botched PAT snaps, and punt snaps that went high in the air and fell to the punter like wounded ducks.

As a pal noted at dinner, Cutcliffe is great with the details, I'd like to think our backup guy could do far better (and hats off to Hennessey who has been terrific).

wilson
09-22-2014, 09:51 AM
The first stringer tore his hamstring during warmups, the backup gave us a safety when his snap when higher over the punter's head than I've ever seen, perhaps
15 to 20 ft.I've seen this mentioned in a number of different places, but what I haven't seen is any explanation of what on earth the Tulane coaching staff has their long snapper doing during warmups that would result in a torn hamstring.

Dev11
09-22-2014, 10:50 AM
I've seen this mentioned in a number of different places, but what I haven't seen is any explanation of what on earth the Tulane coaching staff has their long snapper doing during warmups that would result in a torn hamstring.

Long snapping, I imagine. It's fairly strenuous on the thighs and doing it repeated requires a lot of very low squats.

Olympic Fan
09-22-2014, 11:00 AM

Just a note about the polls.

We are in the coaches poll at 23, but just outside the AP poll. We can argue about which is the better poll in the long run, but in the short term, there is no question that the coaches poll is more important. Why? Because that's the poll ESPN/ABC uses to guide its coverage.

If you watch football all Saturday on TV, you'll see that the focus is almost entirely on the top 25. Watch the crawl across the bottom -- they repeat top 25 scores every few minutes -- the non-top 25 rolls maybe once every 30 minutes. In the pregame show and the postgame show, they talk (and show highlights) about top 25 teams, but very rarely about teams outside the top 25.

So this Saturday, No. 23 Duke will get far more TV attention than it has so far this season.

Of course, the outcome of this game will have a big impact on the future -- a win and Duke will be in both polls; a loss and I doubt Duke will stay in the coaches poll.

uh_no
09-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Didn't see that, but here ESPN has us targeted (http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls/projections) for the Belk Bowl or the Duck Commander ... uh, Independence Bowl.

Depends on which espn you listen to:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/74835/acc-bowl-projections-week-3-5

OldPhiKap
09-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Depends on which espn you listen to:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/74835/acc-bowl-projections-week-3-5

Odd, I did not see the Tar Heels on that list . . . .

wilson
09-22-2014, 11:57 AM
I've seen this mentioned in a number of different places, but what I haven't seen is any explanation of what on earth the Tulane coaching staff has their long snapper doing during warmups that would result in a torn hamstring.

Long snapping, I imagine. It's fairly strenuous on the thighs and doing it repeated requires a lot of very low squats.Thanks for this explanation. Having snapped exactly zero snaps, long or otherwise, in my lifetime, I did not know the physical implications of the action. Upon further thought, this makes perfect sense.

Jarhead
09-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Odd, I did not see the Tar Heels on that list . . . .
Maybe those bloggers know something.

AncientPsychicT
09-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Just a note about the polls.

We are in the coaches poll at 23, but just outside the AP poll. We can argue about which is the better poll in the long run, but in the short term, there is no question that the coaches poll is more important. Why? Because that's the poll ESPN/ABC uses to guide its coverage.

If you watch football all Saturday on TV, you'll see that the focus is almost entirely on the top 25. Watch the crawl across the bottom -- they repeat top 25 scores every few minutes -- the non-top 25 rolls maybe once every 30 minutes. In the pregame show and the postgame show, they talk (and show highlights) about top 25 teams, but very rarely about teams outside the top 25.

So this Saturday, No. 23 Duke will get far more TV attention than it has so far this season.

Of course, the outcome of this game will have a big impact on the future -- a win and Duke will be in both polls; a loss and I doubt Duke will stay in the coaches poll.

A few years ago, this post would have been accurate. ESPN used to officially co-sponsor the coaches poll. This ended about a decade ago. (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2005-06-07-poll_x.htm) Even so, for a few years afterwards, ESPN still kept the coaches poll as its pre-BCS poll rankings.

However, in the past few years, they have reverted to using the AP poll as the one displayed on their site and on TV. An easy way to check this is to look at the side bar on this page, (http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/74873/74873?ex_cid=espnapi_public) which shows the ACC's results in games last week (you can tell it is last week's rankings because Clemson is still ranked). The way to tell is by looking at UNC's name. If it were the coaches poll ESPN was using, then UNC would have a 25 next to their name. However, since they don't have any number next to their name, the conclusion must be that ESPN is using the AP poll.

I noticed the switch a few years ago because, like Oly Fan, I recognized that ESPN used to use the coaches poll in its displayed rankings while other outlets used the AP poll. Surprise surprise circa 2010 when the CBS rankings started magically matching up exactly to the ESPN ones (at least until the BCS ranks came out; ESPN switched to them while CBS didn't).

Oh well, no number for us this week. :(

nocilla
09-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Takoby Cofield was named the ACC Offensive lineman of the week.

subzero02
09-22-2014, 01:09 PM
http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/about-the-rankings

The new playoff ranking system makes its debut on Tuesday the 28th of October

Olympic Fan
09-22-2014, 02:48 PM
A few years ago, this post would have been accurate. ESPN used to officially co-sponsor the coaches poll. This ended about a decade ago. (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2005-06-07-poll_x.htm) Even so, for a few years afterwards, ESPN still kept the coaches poll as its pre-BCS poll rankings.

However, in the past few years, they have reverted to using the AP poll as the one displayed on their site and on TV. An easy way to check this is to look at the side bar on this page, (http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/74873/74873?ex_cid=espnapi_public) which shows the ACC's results in games last week (you can tell it is last week's rankings because Clemson is still ranked). The way to tell is by looking at UNC's name. If it were the coaches poll ESPN was using, then UNC would have a 25 next to their name. However, since they don't have any number next to their name, the conclusion must be that ESPN is using the AP poll.

I noticed the switch a few years ago because, like Oly Fan, I recognized that ESPN used to use the coaches poll in its displayed rankings while other outlets used the AP poll. Surprise surprise circa 2010 when the CBS rankings started magically matching up exactly to the ESPN ones (at least until the BCS ranks came out; ESPN switched to them while CBS didn't).

Oh well, no number for us this week. :(

I don't know what they do on their site -- but during games, they still use the coaches poll. I know that last week, they showed the UNC-ECU score on their crawl as a top 25 game-- when UNC was in the coaches poll but not in the AP.

mike88
09-22-2014, 03:59 PM
For the next 4 (ACC) games:

if 0-4 or 1-3 ---> disappointed

if 2-2 -----> satisfied

if 3-1 or 4-0 ----> happy

Is that too pessimistic?
I think we could readily go 3-1 or 4-0 in our last 4, so this next stretch will go a long way to determining if we play in a major bowl again this year

Wander
09-22-2014, 04:09 PM

if 2-2 -----> satisfied

Is that too pessimistic?
I think we could readily go 3-1 or 4-0 in our last 4, so this next stretch will go a long way to determining if we play in a major bowl again this year

I think this is about right. I'll just add that because our middle stretch of 4 games is MUCH tougher than the first 4 or last 4, we could go 1-3 in the stretch (which I agree, I'd be disappointed), and still realistically finish with a very successful 9-3 season. The next two are probably the two hardest games of the year, so win both of those and we can start dreaming really big...

Bob Green
09-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Is that too pessimistic?

No.

In advance discussions, going 2-2 over the next four games would be solid. At that point, we would be 6-2 and bowl eligible, with three of the remaining four games at home. However, if we were to win at Miami and Georgia Tech to start off 6-0 to be bowl eligible and in the driver's seat to return to the ACC Championship Game, losing to Virginia and Pitt in the following two games would be a disappointment even though we would still be 6-2 and bowl eligible, with three of the remaining four games at home.

It just depends on how it plays out. One game at a time so let's go to Miami and win!

Dev11
09-22-2014, 05:05 PM

if 2-2 -----> satisfied

Is that too pessimistic?

One thing to consider is that we have 2 byes in the middle of the next 4. That should help us. You essentially put the over/under at 2 wins, I think I would peg it at 2.5. That is, 2 wins might feel like a disappointment, but 3 feels great.

Wander
09-22-2014, 07:13 PM
I don't know what they do on their site -- but during games, they still use the coaches poll. I know that last week, they showed the UNC-ECU score on their crawl as a top 25 game-- when UNC was in the coaches poll but not in the AP.

Again, this is not correct. AncientPsychicT is right, ESPN made the switch to AP rankings somewhat recently. For example, below is a linked replay of the first FSU game on an ESPN broadcast, and you can see that the scrolling scores match up to the AP rankings, not the coaches poll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpWfs3todxI

TruBlu
09-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Again, this is not correct. AncientPsychicT is right, ESPN made the switch to AP rankings somewhat recently. For example, below is a linked replay of the first FSU game on an ESPN broadcast, and you can see that the scrolling scores match up to the AP rankings, not the coaches poll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpWfs3todxI

Did they switch only for this game in order to not show the UNC score? Wouldn't put it past them.

Wander
09-23-2014, 01:56 AM
Did they switch only for this game in order to not show the UNC score? Wouldn't put it past them.

Haha, if so, all the better so that news of the 900 point beatdown reached more viewers :)