View Full Version : FB: Duke 41, KU 3

-jk
09-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Wow. (Line? What line!)

-jk

camion
09-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Yes, but...

We lost the all important time of possession 32-27.

I will concede that Wilson had an okay day, for the ages.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2014, 07:03 PM
Yes, but...

We lost the all important time of possession 32-27.

I will concede that Wilson had an okay day, for the ages.

We failed to shut them out. :-(

But what a great result, with upside room to improve!

Mabdul Doobakus
09-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Shaun Wilson is trending on Twitter. It's a new world.

In retrospect, the line made perfect sense, because Good Lord, Kansas is terrible.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Break into top 25 this week?

AncientPsychicT
09-13-2014, 07:06 PM
http://static.rogerebert.com/redactor_assets/pictures/far-flung-correspondents/the-pursuit-of-powerlessness/Cast_Away_Wilson_face.jpg

Mabdul Doobakus
09-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Break into top 25 this week?

Only if a handful of teams ahead of us lose. There are perfectly reasonable historical reasons for our schedule being so weak, but we haven't really beaten anyone that you could even call decent. We may have to reach 5-0 to get ranked.

Wander
09-13-2014, 07:09 PM
In retrospect, the line made perfect sense, because Good Lord, Kansas is terrible.

Yeah. There are lots of ACC teams NOT blowing out inferior opponents, so the focus should definitely be on Duke (and Wilson!) and how good we looked, but, damn, both Kansas and Weis really, really, really suck.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Yeah. There are lots of ACC teams NOT blowing out inferior opponents, so the focus should definitely be on Duke (and Wilson!) and how good we looked, but, damn, both Kansas and Weis really, really, really suck.

In Weis' defense, Kansas screwed up the first snap of the game and was down 17-0 before I finished my first beer. That's not a coaching fail.

DukeDevil
09-13-2014, 07:21 PM
BEST...THREAD...SEQUENCE...EVER

from rockchalktalk

"Our offense looks impotent today. Ugh."

"So does our D"

"and special teams"

"At least we're balanced!"

dukelifer

He was mighty impressive today - he is a good back in space. Duke has another weapon for sure.

Newton_14

He had 182 yards on 3 carries alone! That's ridiculous!

Wow!

245 Rushing Yards- New Duke Record. Trending indeed!

TruBlu
In Weis' defense, Kansas screwed up the first snap of the game and was down 17-0 before I finished my first beer. That's not a coaching fail.

You drink beer too slow.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2014, 07:25 PM
You drink beer too slow.

Well, I do a shot of tequila on every Duke kickoff which slows me down. And at my age, I am not as quick as when I was YoungPhiKap.

roywhite
09-13-2014, 07:27 PM
BEST...THREAD...SEQUENCE...EVER

from rockchalktalk

"Our offense looks impotent today. Ugh."

"So does our D"

"and special teams"

"At least we're balanced!"

Well, their punter did launch a couple of mortar shots, two punts over 70 yards each. Otherwise, yeah, pretty bad.
Sorry, Charlie.

I guess it's a bit of a comedown for Charlie and Dave Campo to be on the sidelines for a game like this after their NFL time.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2014, 07:31 PM
Well, their punter did launch a couple of mortar shots, two punts over 70 yards each. Otherwise, yeah, pretty bad.
Sorry, Charlie.

I guess it's a bit of a comedown for Charlie and Dave Campo to be on the sidelines for a game like this after their NFL time.

I think Kansas is where we we're several years ago. Hired a good coach, getting more competitive, several steps away from getting to the hump let alone clearing it. There we're years when we we're very competitive through three quarters and faded (like they did last week) or went on the road and got skunked (like today). I won't dump on Kansas, their path is fresh on my memory.

roywhite
09-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Kansas actually defended Jamison Crowder very well.

Nice to see other playmakers emerge, Wilson obviously, and also McCaffrey and Blakeney.

DukieInKansas
09-13-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure KU really comprehended that we are not just a basketball school anymore. Watching the KU post game show has been fun - but I do feel a bit sorry for the players that have to speak to the reporters.

Duvall
09-13-2014, 07:45 PM
I think Kansas is where we we're several years ago. Hired a good coach, getting more competitive, several steps away from getting to the hump let alone clearing it. There we're years when we we're very competitive through three quarters and faded (like they did last week) or went on the road and got skunked (like today). I won't dump on Kansas, their path is fresh on my memory.

Agreed, except that I don't think Kansas hired its good coach yet.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Agreed, except that I don't think Kansas hired its good coach yet.

Perhaps. I think CW is a good coach and has improved Kansas tremendously. But as we know, it takes years to build the depth and experience to truly compete.

As we also know, a lot depends on the institution's commitment to investing in a top level program. No idea what KU is or is not doing in that regard.

Reilly
09-13-2014, 08:15 PM
... a bit of a comedown for Charlie and Dave Campo to be on the sidelines for a game like this ...

I didn't realize Campo was on their staff. Speaking of those who have stalked the Wallace Wade sidelines, I just learned that Pete Carroll was the NCSU DC from 1980-82, when SOS was Duke's OC. How about that matchup?

Tripping William
09-13-2014, 09:39 PM
I would have guessed that KU had a "decided schemtic advantage." Right.

Wander
09-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Perhaps. I think CW is a good coach and has improved Kansas tremendously.

Weis has improved Kansas tremendously? By what definition of the word "tremendously," or even "improved?" In his two seasons so far, he's gone 4-20. In the two seasons before he got there, Kansas went 5-19. And in the two games this year, Kansas has failed to meet its spread - by a lot - so they're not even living up to their expectations so far this season. And those expectations were "last in the conference."

The other things Weis has done at the college level are:
1. Lead a historical powerhouse to arguably the worst season in its 100+ year history.
2. Take over offensive coordinator for what I would argue was the top college football program in the country at the time, and lead them to one of their worst offensive seasons ever.

I don't know if he can't connect to kids or can't adapt to the more diverse playstyles in the college game or what, but he very clearly sucks as a college coach.

dukelifer
09-13-2014, 10:03 PM
Weis has improved Kansas tremendously? By what definition of the word "tremendously," or even "improved?" In his two seasons so far, he's gone 4-20. In the two seasons before he got there, Kansas went 5-19. And in the two games this year, Kansas has failed to meet its spread - by a lot - so they're not even living up to their expectations so far this season. And those expectations were "last in the conference."

The other things Weis has done at the college level are:
1. Lead a historical powerhouse to arguably the worst season in its 100+ year history.
2. Take over offensive coordinator for what I would argue was the top college football program in the country at the time, and lead them to one of their worst offensive seasons ever.

I don't know if he can't connect to kids or can't adapt to the more diverse playstyles in the college game or what, but he very clearly sucks as a college coach.
The quarterback on Kansas was not very good but the play calling itself was pretty uninspired. Duke was well prepared and rarely seemed to be confused by what KU was trying to do.

Bob Green
09-13-2014, 10:05 PM
I just arrived at my Dad's in Fayetteville from the game. Three quick remarks:

1. Shaun Wilson has great speed and only needs a small opening. He was impressive today.
2. Max McCaffrey had a very good game today as well.
3. A couple of players were injured. Dez Johnson and Lucas Patrick. Patrick wasn't able to put any weight on one of his legs leaving the field.

A great day at Wallace Wade was had by the Green Family!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-13-2014, 10:12 PM
I am here to report as an eye witness to the game and game day events. This is not your Duke team of old. There is improvement every week and every game and that's what's most important at this stage of the season. In the old days, these early season games were part of a familiar downward trajectory. "Easier" games are scheduled to allow the team to continue to develop in live game conditions. Certainly there are many ways the team can improve.... and we can look forward to seeing those improvements as the season unfolds.

Today the student section was involved and pretty full for almost all the game.... a contrast to many empty sections. It's not my intention to berate those who weren't there. Instead, it is my intention to encourage more people to come experience this great season and great team in person. Instead of so much introspection over the schedule and other such matters, it would be much more meaningful to see the stadium full of people interested in the game.

I think of the Miller Lite ads in which the beer delivery guy walks into the hospitality suite overlooking the game and removes the beer because the people are so disengaged that they aren't watching the game. He notes that you can't even smell the hot dogs. No televised game has the atmosphere of the live action, on and off the field.

Next Saturday the Green Wave of Tulane comes to town for a 12:30P kickoff. This is a great opportunity to be part of a vital community of fans, enjoy a live game and help our guys prepare before they hit the road to begin conference play at Miami.

diablesseblu
09-13-2014, 10:22 PM
The ABC primetime scoreboard show team gave Shaun a helmet sticker. (Carden from ECU also received one.) I'll be watching the ESPN show later. Hopefully, Holtz and May will also give SW one.

anonj
09-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Not to be a debbie-downer or anything but can someone please tell me how the turnout was? On TV, it looked pretty poor. They showed the crowd a few times late in the third quarter and it was pretty brutal for a good Duke team playing a power 5 conference team.

From Rock Chalk Talk's game recap:

"Did anyone else think that KU had the worst stadium and fan support in the NCAA? Wrong. It’s got to be demoralizing for Duke to play so well and still not be able to sell out a game. Even KU sells out a handful of games throughout the year and they are nowhere near as good as Duke. Even their stadium was worse than KU’s, it felt like a high school football game out there."

Of course that's coming from a Jayhawk fan who is admittedly bitter but it looked rough on TV. The student section looked pretty good early but by the end of the third quarter is seems like well over half decided to head out.

Edit: Sorry, Devil in the Blue Dress answered my question.

devildeac
09-13-2014, 10:51 PM
It was nice to see the "football school" win the battle of the basketball schools today;).

peloton
09-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Well, we didn't have the entire family at the game, but I was there with one brother, his young son, and my 88 yr old dad. He and I had the pleasure of sauntering down Blue Devil Alley about 15 mins or so before the game and he was impressed (maybe more surprised) by the number of people tailgating there - great to see as always and a testament to how much the Duke football culture has changed. We had to make an obligatory stop by the True Blue Cue Crew tent to say hello to CameronBornAndBred, Devildeac, and other cohorts involved in making their gameday gastronomical orgies such a success. Maybe next time we'll actually have time to eat some food! We had good seats; for the first time ever after going to countless games in Wallace Wade, I sat in the Duke alumni box at the closed end of the horseshoe. Fortunately for others "more exposed", the somewhat threatening clouds never opened up.

Regarding the game itself though...I'll have to be perfectly honest. I know KU isn't supposed to have a very good team this season but I would never have expected them to score only a field goal against us. If they keep playing like that you've got to wonder how much longer Weis will be there. It'll be very interesting to see what Shaun Wilson does against stiffer competition. All I have to say is assuming Jela Duncan is back in The Stable next season, the running game appears to be in very good hands with the likes of these two, Shaquille Powell, and Joseph Ajeigbe. This season is what's important now though and more specifically, next Saturday's game with the Tulane Green Wave. Here's hoping that the team stays focused on the task at hand each weekend.

budwom
09-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Shaun Wilson ran like he was being chased.

diablesseblu
09-13-2014, 11:00 PM
Am certain that the attendance was affected by the weather forecast (which was wrong.) Several in my family have had season tickets for 50+ years. They virtually never miss a game. That said, the forecast was for thunderstorms. There's no way at their ages they would risk being out in that weather.

I'm younger than they are but am drawing Social Security. I will not drive the 150+ miles to Durham to sit in a T-storm.

Also, I can imagine that those with young children thought it "not worth the risk" of bad weather.

I enjoyed the game on TV and would have loved to have been there. However, the decision whether or not to attend is often complicated for many of us.

Ima Facultiwyfe
09-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Yes, attendance was pitiful once again.

I'm beginning to think we don't deserve this team of amazing coaches and guys. Duke is doing everything it can to give us a great game day experience and the team is chock full of guys we can be so very proud of. The band is looking bigger and sharper every week. Still, people just stay home and wash their socks.

As for the students, I'm wondering if we have a big enough student population from countries where they've even seen football. Very few seem to relate to it or be interested.

Meanwhile, I'm having a wonderful time at WW. I'm reminded of a quote from Auntie Mame. She said something to the effect that "Life is a banquet and most fools are just starving to death." She's right. They don't know what they're missing.

Love, Ima

diablesseblu
09-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Yes, attendance was pitiful once again.

I'm beginning to think we don't deserve this team of amazing coaches and guys. Duke is doing everything it can to give us a great game day experience and the team is chock full of guys we can be so very proud of. The band is looking bigger and sharper every week. Still, people just stay home and wash their socks.

As for the students, I'm wondering if we have a big enough student population from countries where they've even seen football. Very few seem to relate to it or be interested.

Meanwhile, I'm having a wonderful time at WW. I'm reminded of a quote from Auntie Mame. She said something to the effect that "Life is a banquet and most fools are just starving to death." She's right. They don't know what they're missing.

Love, Ima

Kudos! Well said. It was tough today to watch what I was missing.

Bluedog
09-13-2014, 11:13 PM

I don't know if I'd go that far, but even if Duke football pulls as big of a crowd for the ugrads as it does for an at capacity basketball game, that's only 1800 seats, which hardly makes a dent in WW. Need a lot of other people besides students to fill it up. I'd agree that on TV, it looked a little sad...

But great win !

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-13-2014, 11:25 PM
There's another chance next Saturday to improve on attendance. The current weather forecast looks pretty good for a day outside.;)

There are ways in which the attendance reminds me of church.... some focus their attendance on the big holy days.

diablesseblu
09-13-2014, 11:38 PM
There's another chance next Saturday to improve on attendance. The current weather forecast looks pretty good for a day outside.;)

There are ways in which the attendance reminds me of church.... some focus their attendance on the big holy days.

Oh, I hope so.......re the weather forecast. Those of us who have been attending games since the late 50s do not ever want to miss a sunny, hopeful day at WW!

duke09hms
09-14-2014, 12:03 AM
From Rock Chalk Talk's game recap:

"Did anyone else think that KU had the worst stadium and fan support in the NCAA? Wrong. It’s got to be demoralizing for Duke to play so well and still not be able to sell out a game. Even KU sells out a handful of games throughout the year and they are nowhere near as good as Duke. Even their stadium was worse than KU’s, it felt like a high school football game out there."

God I can't wait until the track gets torn out. It should have been done before the season. That has to be what's contributing to just about all the "it looks like a high school stadium" comments. This isn't an isolated comparison either, I've heard that from many people from all different colleges.

duke09hms
09-14-2014, 12:15 AM
More importantly, any word on the knee injuries sustained by our offensive and defensive linemen? Neither looked good at all ...

duke09hms
09-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Remember when our backs were never fast enough to take it all the way for a touchdown after breaking through the defense? They would always get caught from behind. That began to change these last few years, and Shaun Wilson capped it off today. Great win today. Hope the injuries are okay, and let's get the team refocused on Tulane next week.

DU82
09-14-2014, 12:28 AM
More importantly, any word on the knee injuries sustained by our offensive and defensive linemen? Neither looked good at all ...

Patrick's injury appeared to be to his ankle, not knee. When he returned briefly to the field area (before heading to the locker room) you could see his ankle wrapped. Johnson's injury was to his knee, though.

loran16
09-14-2014, 12:54 AM
Remember when our backs were never fast enough to take it all the way for a touchdown after breaking through the defense? They would always get caught from behind. That began to change these last few years, and Shaun Wilson capped it off today. Great win today. Hope the injuries are okay, and let's get the team refocused on Tulane next week.

To be fair, that's still partially true today - both Snead (Still here) and Juwan Thompson (Last year) tend to be caught from behind, as they don't really have the breakaway speed. Which isn't terrible - there's more to being a RB than just breakaway long run speed and both those guys do excellent jobs on those things (hence Juwan making the Broncos)

So don't go figuring you wont see that again this year :-)

Son of Jarhead
09-14-2014, 01:02 AM
Here is a picture of the "home side" of WW from today's Kansas game that I "borrowed" from a friend's FB page: 4332

As you can see, it looks like pretty good attendance. Contrast that to the "away side" that gets shown on TV all the time. Neither image tells the whole story.

I'm sure the weather forecast had a lot to do with the turn out (as well as the odd unforeseen circumstance, such as illness in my case), but I think more folks will show up next weekend, and even more for subsequent games that feature better known opponents.

Great job today, Blue Devils! ... We Are Duke!!

HK Dukie
09-14-2014, 01:11 AM
From the NO http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/13/4148407_wilson-sets-record-duke-hammers.html?&rh=1

"The offense trotted back out, and Cutcliffe told Wilson that, if he managed to break free, he needed to just go down."

It says something when you are worried your Freshman RB is going to break free again for another score and you tell him to just go down to not run up the score. Dizzying the contrast from years past.

uh_no
09-14-2014, 01:57 AM
Here is a picture of the "home side" of WW from today's Kansas game that I "borrowed" from a friend's FB page: 4332

As you can see, it looks like pretty good attendance. Contrast that to the "away side" that gets shown on TV all the time. Neither image tells the whole story.

I'm sure the weather forecast had a lot to do with the turn out (as well as the odd unforeseen circumstance, such as illness in my case), but I think more folks will show up next weekend, and even more for subsequent games that feature better known opponents.

it was raining before the game and the forecast was iffy....no doubt in my mind that affected the turnout. listed sales are 25203....and there certainly was not that many people out there today.....given would like to see closer to 30k, but the weather was going to impact Day of game sales the most anyway....

next week will depend on weather again...weather channel has high of 77...so could be perfect....i'd say expect the biggest uptick come ACC season...especially if we're coming in undefeated

that said, student section was bumping again, as was the rest of the home side...shame the other side looked pitiful...especially with those nice new seats

OldPhiKap
09-14-2014, 08:06 AM

During the game, I wondered if the renovations could somehow set the cameras up on the visiting side to face the home crowd.

Of course, Kansas football is probably not known for traveling strong.

Indoor66
09-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Shaun Wilson ran like he was being chased.

What are your talking about? He WAS being chased. :)

alteran
09-14-2014, 08:51 AM
During the game, I wondered if the renovations could somehow set the cameras up on the visiting side to face the home crowd.

I think not, unfortunately.

The cameras were put on that side for the same reason the primo home seats were-- if you're on the visitor's side, you're staring the sun in its face for about 3 hours. Hard to do that and not get retina burn-- or to broadcast a consistent picture.

Shame you can't have it both ways.

That said, the previous game was quite full, the students completely filled their section, and even the visitors side looked pretty dense.

dukelifer
09-14-2014, 09:30 AM

Of course, Kansas football is probably not known for traveling strong.

Maybe Duke can pay to get the network to use CGI to make it look as if there are more fans in the seats. Either that or schedule Alabama every year. Kansas had the fewest traveling fans that I have ever seen.

SharkD
09-14-2014, 09:44 AM
I have season tickets in the upper part of section 9 (one of the employee ticket sections, aka the blue seats).

While definitely not as well attended as the opener against Elon, turnout, from my vantage point was decent, especially in the first half, before the sun started cooking us on the "visitors'" side. (From where I sat, the student sections were not nearly as full as I'd like.)

I'm curious to see what it looked like, from the TV perspective.

I also wonder if the horribly uncomfortable seats contributed to the apparently low turnout on the blue side -- if you're over 5'8", the seat in front of you will be digging into your knees/shins (and it's worse if someone's actually sitting in the seat in-front of you, not to mention the lack of clearance when someone wants to walk in/out from the middle of the row).

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-14-2014, 10:09 AM
I have season tickets in the upper part of section 9 (one of the employee ticket sections, aka the blue seats).

While definitely not as well attended as the opener against Elon, turnout, from my vantage point was decent, especially in the first half, before the sun started cooking us on the "visitors'" side. (From where I sat, the student sections were not nearly as full as I'd like.)

I also wonder if the horribly uncomfortable seats contributed to the apparently low turnout on the blue side -- if you're over 5'8", the seat in front of you will be digging into your knees/shins (and it's worse if someone's actually sitting in the seat in-front of you, not to mention the lack of clearance when someone wants to walk in/out from the middle of the row).
Your description of the seats and the effect of their design confirms a concern I've had ever since they were first shown publicly. I wondered if anyone had actually sat in them or tried them out under different weather conditions before ordering them. The resulting tightness that you've described between the rows sounds like the problems associated with the current seats in Kenan.:(

TruBlu
09-14-2014, 10:59 AM
sports.espn.go.com/espn/feature/index?page=caponecup

Poll for impact player. Show Mr. Wilson some love. He deserves it.

subzero02
09-14-2014, 11:32 AM
We covered and sent an incredibly strong message. At kickoff, the line had dropped from an open of 20 to 12. I think we crack the top 25; we took a step forward on the national scene.

75Crazie
09-14-2014, 12:18 PM
This was the first game I've been to in several years, and I have one question that nobody near me at the game could answer ... Where the heck was the Victory Bell? Why aren't we taking full advantage of having that? Doesn't Carolina trot that out for every single game when they have it?

uh_no
09-14-2014, 12:20 PM
We covered and sent an incredibly strong message. At kickoff, the line had dropped from an open of 20 to 12. I think we crack the top 25; we took a step forward on the national scene.

especially with the UL loss

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-14-2014, 12:25 PM
This was the first game I've been to in several years, and I have one question that nobody near me at the game could answer ... Where the heck was the Victory Bell? Why aren't we taking full advantage of having that? Doesn't Carolina trot that out for every single game when they have it?

The Victory Bell was in the Yoh. It was out for the first game and may not have been brought out because of the possible bad weather. Getting it out of the Yoh to go anywhere is very difficult because the specifications for the Yoh do not accommodate moving anything that size. There is only one way to get it in and out of the building..... doorways and elevators not big enough to accommodate. Has to come out through the locker room and requires many people to do it.

dukelifer
09-14-2014, 12:53 PM

I must say that watching from that side of the field can be very uncomfortable when the sun is directly in your eyes. If it is hot- it is really bad. Night games are obviously fine. Maybe the stadium renovations will help by shielding the sun as they add sky boxes.

AluminumDuke
09-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Amongst those who qualify (averaging at least 6.25 rushing attempts per game), Shaun Wilson leads the FBS (1-A) with 15.9 yards per attempt on 21 carries. Next running back on the list is Arkansas' Jonathon Williams with 9.8 yards per attempt on 33 carries. Shaun has more rushing yards than Heisman candidate Todd Gurley, admittedly against much lesser competition. Interestingly, 3 of the top 5 on the list are quarterbacks, including BC's Tyler Murphy.

Obviously Shaun's stats have been bolstered by some really long runs, but he has had quite a few of them. If you took away Shaun's longest run of 69 yards, he'd still be in the lead with 13.25 yards per carry and would only drop to 2nd place (still 10.37 yards per carry) if you dropped his top two.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt

Duke_92
09-14-2014, 02:19 PM
I have season tickets in the upper part of section 9....I also wonder if the horribly uncomfortable seats contributed to the apparently low turnout on the blue side -- if you're over 5'8", the seat in front of you will be digging into your knees/shins (and it's worse if someone's actually sitting in the seat in-front of you, not to mention the lack of clearance when someone wants to walk in/out from the middle of the row).

We also have season tickets in section 9. I'm 6'1 and I actually like the seats. I have enough leg room. Getting in and out is harder but it works if people stand. No different than Cameron in that way. I was worried it would be like much of Kenan Stadium which has bleacher seats with backs on then. Even when people stand up to let you pass it is hard getting in and out.

Now the sun.....that's just brutal.

jimsumner
09-14-2014, 02:26 PM
A word on the schedule. Keep in mind that when the Kansas game was scheduled, no one knew that Kansas would be this weak. This was the return game from a 2009 game in Lawrence, won by Kansas 44-16. So, that's a 66-point turnaround in four seasons.

Kansas was 12-1 as recently as 2007. Mangino unraveled shortly after that and Turner Gill was a disaster. But Duke's last 12 win season was never. Duke won 13 games combined in the nine seasons before Cutcliffe game on board. So Weis had a major rebuilding project to be sure but nowhere near the one faced by Cutcliffe.

And not a single person I talked to in the press box thought that Kansas looked like a well-coached or well-prepared football team.

loran16
09-14-2014, 02:40 PM
A word on the schedule. Keep in mind that when the Kansas game was scheduled, no one knew that Kansas would be this weak. This was the return game from a 2009 game in Lawrence, won by Kansas 44-16. So, that's a 66-point turnaround in four seasons.

Kansas was 12-1 as recently as 2007. Mangino unraveled shortly after that and Turner Gill was a disaster. But Duke's last 12 win season was never. Duke won 13 games combined in the nine seasons before Cutcliffe game on board. So Weis had a major rebuilding project to be sure but nowhere near the one faced by Cutcliffe.

And not a single person I talked to in the press box thought that Kansas looked like a well-coached or well-prepared football team.

Yeah, no one is saying that this stretch was intentionally this weak - if i recall correctly, Troy was also a last minute add on to the schedule the last two years when the ACC moved from planning 9 conference games back to the original 8, forcing a needed OOC game to be found.

That said, it's undoubtedly the weakest stretch we've had in a LONG time. Sagarin has us at 188th in terms of schedule including D1-AA teams in its rankings, and easily the worst in the ACC. Tulane isn't that much better per Sagarin.

killerleft
09-14-2014, 02:42 PM

I've been afraid of this. Perhaps I'll be able to wander over there from my Cutcliffe's Corner seat (a nice, attractive upgrade from Family Plan, by the way) during the Tulane game and give them a try. Better yet, maybe folks can fill that side up so I won't be able to find an empty seat!:)

uh_no
09-14-2014, 03:00 PM
fwiw:

we're up to 27th in the AP poll, behind unc at 26

CameronBornAndBred
09-14-2014, 04:41 PM
We had to make an obligatory stop by the True Blue Cue Crew tent to say hello to CameronBornAndBred, Devildeac, and other cohorts involved in making their gameday gastronomical orgies such a success. Maybe next time we'll actually have time to eat some food! We had good seats; for the first time ever after going to countless games in Wallace Wade, I sat in the Duke alumni box at the closed end of the horseshoe. Fortunately for others "more exposed", the somewhat threatening clouds never opened up.

I truly enjoyed meeting your dad. It was great to see you both be able to make it out to the game.
For those lamenting the attendance, consider these factors. The forecast called for rain, the game was on TV, and the line was a healthy Duke victory. That isn't the best recipe for making it out to see a blowout in person. I've been in Cameron many times to experience a proportionally similar atmosphere during a bad weather / not standout opponent combo. Those that stayed home missed out, however; it was truly a great day to be on campus.
I think with the ACC season just a couple games away, we'll see WW well filled with the true blue colors that we love.
One last thought....what was up with Will Monday's punts? At least two in a row went sailing into the benches, way short. Ugh. I loved our defense yesterday, but it would have been nice to not present such field position before they even snap the ball.

uh_no
09-14-2014, 04:56 PM
One last thought....what was up with Will Monday's punts? At least two in a row went sailing into the benches, way short. Ugh. I loved our defense yesterday, but it would have been nice to not present such field position before they even snap the ball.

the only thing i could think was that maybe the ball was damp....but he's been very reliable....so long as this doesn't become a pattern, I'm not too worried.

and even with that we still only gave up 3 points :D

Son of Jarhead
09-14-2014, 05:49 PM

IDK, Jarhead & I found we liked the seats. Of course, we leased those installed cushions Duke was advertising, which did make them much more comfortable. I do think your 5'8" limit is a little off, I'm 6'0" and sitting normally, I had a an inch to spare for knee room. Still not great, I know, but often when someone was sitting in front of us in past years on the bleachers, their back was often hitting my knees, so in that regard, I don't see much difference in knee room. And as Duke_92 pointed out, it is not so bad getting out by people if they stand. The thing that made us actually like the seats was that our backs didn't hurt after the game like they usually did in the past. The sun is brutal on that side, and I worry the dark seats will make it even hotter. I for one would love it if the new press tower were 50 stories tall and stretched from the back of the end-zone to the back of the end-zone!! All in all, I don't see how they could do any better than these seats with the way the stadium is built, just no way to place the rows any father apart. Leaving the whole stadium with bleachers would not be a good idea. It does appear that only 8 sections per side will have seats, with the rest still bleachers, which I think is smart.

I do hope more people will start to come to the games. There is just so much competition out there for peoples Saturday afternoon/evening entertainment attention. Winning helps, as will the renovations when complete. Jarhead & I talked about all this last week and he recalls that when we used to fill the stadium all the time, it was due to support from the Durham community. There aren't enough students to make much of a dent, we need more alumni and employees, and more Durhamites.

jimsumner
09-14-2014, 06:35 PM

For those of you keeping score at home, 2009 was five years ago.

Back to your regular programming.

Wander
09-14-2014, 07:40 PM

Well OK, but the series was set in 2006, before Kansas' great season. Still, true that Kansas pre-2006 was (much) better than Duke pre-Cutcliffe. More relevantly is: didn't Duke ask for the game to be delayed from 2010? Or was it mutually agreed upon?

J.Blink
09-14-2014, 07:58 PM
IDK, Jarhead & I found we liked the seats. Of course, we leased those installed cushions Duke was advertising, which did make them much more comfortable. I do think your 5'8" limit is a little off, I'm 6'0" and sitting normally, I had a an inch to spare for knee room. Still not great, I know, but often when someone was sitting in front of us in past years on the bleachers, their back was often hitting my knees, so in that regard, I don't see much difference in knee room. And as Duke_92 pointed out, it is not so bad getting out by people if they stand. The thing that made us actually like the seats was that our backs didn't hurt after the game like they usually did in the past. The sun is brutal on that side, and I worry the dark seats will make it even hotter. I for one would love it if the new press tower were 50 stories tall and stretched from the back of the end-zone to the back of the end-zone!! All in all, I don't see how they could do any better than these seats with the way the stadium is built, just no way to place the rows any father apart. Leaving the whole stadium with bleachers would not be a good idea. It does appear that only 8 sections per side will have seats, with the rest still bleachers, which I think is smart.

I do hope more people will start to come to the games. There is just so much competition out there for peoples Saturday afternoon/evening entertainment attention. Winning helps, as will the renovations when complete. Jarhead & I talked about all this last week and he recalls that when we used to fill the stadium all the time, it was due to support from the Durham community. There aren't enough students to make much of a dent, we need more alumni and employees, and more Durhamites.

I'm really not looking forward to when the seats with backs come to the other side of the stadium, and I hope my experience matches yours! I'm 6'1 / 170, and I literally cannot sit in the stadium if I'm sitting behind those silly strapped on rented seats. Reminds me of being in Kenan (awful stadium). We'll see.

Regarding attendance, I didn't think it was terrible this week, but neither was the Troy game anywhere near a sell-out (I'd guess around 3/4 or a bit less full).

Am I the only who finds the number of TV timeouts completely irritating? What do they add to game time--another full hour? I would look no further than that to improving the game day experience, but of course that's the only thing that would be completely off the table!

Between parking, walking, staying for the whole game, and leaving, even if you partake in absolutely no tailgating or other peripheral activities, you're looking at basically 5 hours minimum. That's a pretty big time commitment if you're only a middling Duke or football fan.

Newton_14
09-14-2014, 08:23 PM
I'm really not looking forward to when the seats with backs come to the other side of the stadium, and I hope my experience matches yours! I'm 6'1 / 170, and I literally cannot sit in the stadium if I'm sitting behind those silly strapped on rented seats. Reminds me of being in Kenan (awful stadium). We'll see.

Regarding attendance, I didn't think it was terrible this week, but neither was the Troy game anywhere near a sell-out (I'd guess around 3/4 or a bit less full).

Am I the only who finds the number of TV timeouts completely irritating? What do they add to game time--another full hour? I would look no further than that to improving the game day experience, but of course that's the only thing that would be completely off the table!

Between parking, walking, staying for the whole game, and leaving, even if you partake in absolutely no tailgating or other peripheral activities, you're looking at basically 5 hours minimum. That's a pretty big time commitment if you're only a middling Duke or football fan.

Do you have plenty of room in Cameron Indoor? From a comfort and space point of view, I don't see how the new seats in WW can be worse than Cameron. Have not sit in one yet but plan to next week. Just don't see how it's remotely possible for the new WW seats to be worse than Cameron comfort or tight space. I think people are making too much of it. The worse part about that side of WW by a mile is the sun. I just about died in the Alabama game. I had made a huge mistake in forgetting to bring sun screen, and the sun that day was just brutal. I ended up having to leave early in the 4th, not due to the score but over heating. I honestly thought I was on the verge of passing out. Scary for a few minutes.

It is really hard to endure that sun on very warm days. The difference in sitting on that side and the home side in those conditions is striking. Not saying that's the main reason for lack of attendance or anything but it factors in. Lots of people choose to watch the game standing at the edge on the concourse all the way around the stadium. I think if all of those folks were in seats on the sun side it might look a little bit better at least?

Anyway, I would not fret too much over the new seats. If you can handle Cameron, you should be able to handle the new seats in WW.

gep
09-14-2014, 08:28 PM
Every time this comes up... I wonder why the games in Sept and Oct don't start at 5-6 pm. Keep the noon to 3pm games for Nov. I notice this' throughout the nation. Is it the east coast media?

OldPhiKap
09-14-2014, 08:35 PM
1. Does Camwron have seats? Never did anything but stand.

2. Football seats need backs. Disagree? You ain't 45+ yet. You'll get there.

3. Just get to the games, worry about the details later!

J.Blink
09-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Do you have plenty of room in Cameron Indoor? From a comfort and space point of view, I don't see how the new seats in WW can be worse than Cameron. Have not sit in one yet but plan to next week. Just don't see how it's remotely possible for the new WW seats to be worse than Cameron comfort or tight space. I think people are making too much of it. The worse part about that side of WW by a mile is the sun. I just about died in the Alabama game. I had made a huge mistake in forgetting to bring sun screen, and the sun that day was just brutal. I ended up having to leave early in the 4th, not due to the score but over heating. I honestly thought I was on the verge of passing out. Scary for a few minutes.

It is really hard to endure that sun on very warm days. The difference in sitting on that side and the home side in those conditions is striking. Not saying that's the main reason for lack of attendance or anything but it factors in. Lots of people choose to watch the game standing at the edge on the concourse all the way around the stadium. I think if all of those folks were in seats on the sun side it might look a little bit better at least?

Anyway, I would not fret too much over the new seats. If you can handle Cameron, you should be able to handle the new seats in WW.

I don't have any problem in Cameron, so I'll be hopeful. Maybe I'm just scarred by my experience in Kenan (though Duke won the last time I was there!)...

I know exactly what you mean about that side of the stadium. It's rough. I was in the band for one year when they were moved over to visitor's side for a couple of seasons. One could sweat quite a lot sitting there in full marching band regalia. Fortunately, hydration was key. I even saw some people drinking water.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Every time this comes up... I wonder why the games in Sept and Oct don't start at 5-6 pm. Keep the noon to 3pm games for Nov. I notice this' throughout the nation. Is it the east coast media?

It's about TV contracts which enable ESPN and others to schedule games to attract the greatest number of viewers without much regard to time zone other than for all US time zones to be awake to watch. The higher the rank, the greater the chance the game will be later rather than earlier. Nothing factors in related to interaction of weather and time of day or the needs of live audiences.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-14-2014, 08:55 PM
fwiw:

we're up to 27th in the AP poll, behind unc at 26

Well, I guess that means there's a pretty good chance we'll be ranked if we beat Tulane. I thought we'd have to at least beat Miami.

uh_no
09-14-2014, 09:23 PM

I've found the seats in cameron more spacious than the new seats in WW. Though cameron is not hugely spacious, it's FAR from the most cramped....you want cramped? Try sitting in the bleacher seats in gampel pavilion....and the bleachers upstairs in Conte Forum were so bad that i left to go stand in the back.

if i get a chance, i might drop into cameron and see if i can measure the seat pitch as well as in WW. I should mention that it may not JUST be the distance between rows....cameron is also at a greater slope than WW...so that often makes the space seem slightly larger.

jimsumner
09-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Well OK, but the series was set in 2006, before Kansas' great season. Still, true that Kansas pre-2006 was (much) better than Duke pre-Cutcliffe. More relevantly is: didn't Duke ask for the game to be delayed from 2010? Or was it mutually agreed upon?

Cut said this was the earliest both teams had an open date in the non-conference portion of their schedules.

Kansas was 7-5 in 2004, 6-6 in 2005. FWIW.

Henderson
09-14-2014, 09:35 PM

I seem to recall a Cut presser sometime in the past week or so in which he addressed this question by saying it was set up as a home-and-home but that other scheduling (theirs and ours) kept pushing the return game back.

Lid
09-15-2014, 09:26 AM
I find the seats comfortable -- granted, I'm not 6' tall, but it is extremely nice to have a back now. I'll be curious to see what uh_no finds about measurements. They feel as or more spacious to me than Cameron, but I think the point about pitch is a good one. eta: I join everyone else who was afraid we'd get Kenan-ed, but I don't think that's the case at all.

We've had employee season tickets for several years, always have plenty of sunscreen and water and know what we're in for, but it still takes my breath away how EXTREMELY uncomfortable it is on the sunny side when it's more than 70 degrees out. We show up anyway and do our best to have a great time, but it's hard to understand the situation over there until you've been in the stands for an afternoon game. I'll take under advisement that we shouldn't let our kids go to the concourse to avail themselves of the misting tents (please God, let them have the misting tents set up on Saturday!), because it makes it appear to people at home in air conditioning that no one cares about Duke football. ;)

We were all cheering almost as lustily for the clouds passing through on Saturday as we were for Wilson. Almost.

alteran
09-15-2014, 11:04 AM
I find the seats comfortable -- granted, I'm not 6' tall, but it is extremely nice to have a back now. I'll be curious to see what uh_no finds about measurements. They feel as or more spacious to me than Cameron, but I think the point about pitch is a good one. eta: I join everyone else who was afraid we'd get Kenan-ed, but I don't think that's the case at all.

We've had employee season tickets for several years, always have plenty of sunscreen and water and know what we're in for, but it still takes my breath away how EXTREMELY uncomfortable it is on the sunny side when it's more than 70 degrees out. We show up anyway and do our best to have a great time, but it's hard to understand the situation over there until you've been in the stands for an afternoon game. I'll take under advisement that we shouldn't let our kids go to the concourse to avail themselves of the misting tents (please God, let them have the misting tents set up on Saturday!), because it makes it appear to people at home in air conditioning that no one cares about Duke football. ;)

We were all cheering almost as lustily for the clouds passing through on Saturday as we were for Wilson. Almost.

Every once in a while I forget my hat and/or sunscreen in those seats, and it's always an unmitigated disaster.

I was thrilled when I heard about the seats getting put in, the reality is worse than I expected, but not horrible.

Pluses:
- comfort
- stops "home stadium chair warriors" who basically take their reclining chairs from home and plop it on the bench for all of us to work around.

Minuses:
- heat - dark blue is probably not the best color for seats facing the sun for most of the game. My guess is I'll appreciate this more in a month.
- spacing - maybe an inch or two between my knees and the seat/person in front of me. Must make every single person between you and the exit stand whenever you get out. Challenging for those with old bladders or young kids (or both)

I'm on the fence. I guess I'm okay with it (since I have no choice!).

Potato Head
09-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Every time Wilson touches the ball he reminds me of Reggie Bush. I know the opposition is weak and our line is really good, but as a true freshman what he's done in his first two college home games is very impressive.

Newton_14
09-15-2014, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the post. It is absolutely brutal on that side like you said. If folks have not experienced it, give it a try. You will see what we mean. As you noted, if the temps are in the 60's or lower it's manageable, but any game thru say mid-October has the chance to fall in the "stifling heat' category. Thus the move to the other side or on the concourse.

CameronBornAndBred
09-15-2014, 10:59 PM
Out of a serious curiosity, how resistant to the sun are those seats? The reason that I ask is because, as an artist, I always notice faded paintings hanging in windows. Whether in a business or a residence, the sun does not care. It is not going to be a happy day in Wallace Wade if one day we are playing the baby blues, and they feel right at home.

sagegrouse
09-28-2014, 11:11 AM
It took two weeks, but Charlie Weis did not survive the 3-41 loss at Duke, being fired at Kansas yesterday evening. Kansas was 2-2 for the season, following a 23-0 whitewash at home against Texas.

subzero02
09-28-2014, 12:36 PM
He should've stayed with Brady...

diablesseblu
09-28-2014, 01:15 PM
According to "USA Today", by the time Notre Dame and Kansas finish paying him, Weis will have received $12+ million not to coach.

Given his tepid results as each of his recent stops, maybe it's time to retire?

TruBlu
09-28-2014, 05:35 PM
According to "USA Today", by the time Notre Dame and Kansas finish paying him, Weis will have received $12+ million not to coach.

I will not coach for half of that.

OldPhiKap
09-28-2014, 05:36 PM

I don't coach for free!

AncientPsychicT
09-28-2014, 06:50 PM
I don't coach for free!

??

I think you did that wrong... Don't you mean you don't not coach for free?

;)

Reilly
09-28-2014, 07:30 PM
... Don't you mean you don't not coach for free? ...

I was at a "restaurant" one time and the waitress told my party -- when someone asked about drink specials -- that "we don't have no mai tais or nothing like that." Putting it all together, I'm pretty sure OPK would drink mai tais over the next five years for $12 million.

OldPhiKap
09-28-2014, 09:50 PM
??

;)

I don't coach. And I do that for free.

(It could be read both ways -- it's the lawyer in me). :-)

I was at a "restaurant" one time and the waitress told my party -- when someone asked about drink specials -- that "we don't have no mai tais or nothing like that." Putting it all together, I'm pretty sure OPK would drink mai tais over the next five years for $12 million.

I am purely an amateur -- professional drinker has a limited upside.

Put another way -- if you drink a lot and you get a "sponsor," I think that means something different than getting a financial backer.

devildeac
09-28-2014, 10:34 PM

I don't coach for free!

??

;)

I don't coach. And I do that for free.

(It could be read both ways -- it's the lawyer in me). :-)

I am purely an amateur -- professional drinker has a limited upside.

Put another way -- if you drink a lot and you get a "sponsor," I think that means something different than getting a financial backer.

I'll become resident/permanent author and taster for the Ymm, Beer thread and hire a consultant board of directors (I already have 4-5 nominees in mind;)) for half that cost (or less) for the next 3-4 years. I may not be free but I'm reasonable (sort of:o). For Charlie, that's a lotta damn cheeseburgers.