PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful NCAA rant

JasonEvans
09-13-2014, 12:53 AM
I really liked this summation of the pay for play situation and the solutions (at the end) presented in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQfm66r5VBE&list=PLPVve34yolHZeJTZSWc-O-DszU68SJ6oa&index=1

wilko
09-13-2014, 06:11 AM
When operating costs go up those are usually passed to the consumer.
I can only assume that paying the players would increase operating costs.

Cable is expensive enuff.
It cant cost me more.

Edouble
09-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Wow... I got to 3:20 and had to stop listening. She is incredibly annoying. All that yelling...

Sounds like she was about to rehash everything I've heard before.

The people we really need to be paying more money are our secondary school teachers, not our college athletes.

Wander
09-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Wow... I got to 3:20 and had to stop listening. She is incredibly annoying. All that yelling...

Sounds like she was about to rehash everything I've heard before.

The people we really need to be paying more money are our secondary school teachers, not our college athletes.

I told myself I would do better than you... and I did, by about 30 seconds. That was absolutely awful.

lotusland
09-15-2014, 02:29 PM
I was kinda with her until she said she wants lifetime Health insurance provided for any player who plays 2-years...in ALL sports!

Jim3k
09-15-2014, 07:38 PM
I was kinda with her until she said she wants lifetime Health insurance provided for any player who plays 2-years...in ALL sports!

As they say: "Can't hurt to ask."

Bostondevil
09-16-2014, 01:03 AM
Listen to what she says at 7:29.

I'll paraphrase.

Division 1 schools average 3-6 times more money spent on athletics per athlete than they do on academics per student. In the SEC, it climbs to 12 times.

OK, back to me, just when I think my rants are over, yes, I think the athletes are getting screwed but I think the regular students, the ones who have to actually study to be accepted, the ones from families making solidly middle class incomes too high to get financial aid but too low to make college affordable, those students are getting screwed even more. As I've said in other places, the year Johnny Manziell won the Heisman and brought in an extra $300 million in donations, his fellow Texas A&M students graduated with approximately $100 million in student loan debt. Should Johnny Manziell be paid a portion of his jersey sales? NO!!! Not until a portion of his jersey sales goes into the general scholarship fund, not the athletic one, the general scholarship fund. Because Johnny Football wouldn't sell anywhere near as many jerseys if they didn't say Texas A&M on the front - Texas A&M has 40,000 undergraduates, they generate 10,000 alumni every year. See how many jerseys you would have sold at Rice first.

I am for offering athletes the option, are you coming here for an education or to play a sport. If you're playing a sport, you can take classes if you want but you are not officially enrolled and therefore do not take a slot in the student body, you are an employee of the university. You are paid and if you do choose to take classes, that tuition could be covered, but you will not be taking a full load so you will not receive a full scholarship. If you choose education, then your financial aid is determined purely from need, you go into the same pool as all the folks who don't play a sport. If your family income is too high, you don't get financial aid.

Scorp4me
09-16-2014, 07:44 AM

I'm not a teacher, but Edouble is exactly right!

Second, I only made it about 2 minutes in. Another person spouting off with tons of facts without knowing the real story.

If players "require" pay for sports then just find other players. Will they be as good probably not, but the fact remains there are tons of kids out there who would love an opportunity to get a free education and play a sport they love. Won't play unless you're paid, fine we'll simply find someone else. I don't know, maybe this gets into the issue of unions, child labor laws, blah, blah, blah. Not talking about that, just using common sense here.

And while I am a "bit" sympathetic of school kids, I have none for these overpaid primadonnas in the pros. Most are grossly overpaid and far too many don't deserve to be walking the streets much less the accolades they receive (and yes I'm speaking of pro sports in general, but the NBA and NFL lead the way). Pay them less and if they don't like it find others. Again there are plenty of talented adults out there who would love to play the game they love as a job for much less pay. Pass on the savings to us as fans if nothing else.

Duvall
09-16-2014, 08:45 AM
And while I am a "bit" sympathetic of school kids, I have none for these overpaid primadonnas in the pros. Most are grossly overpaid and far too many don't deserve to be walking the streets much less the accolades they receive (and yes I'm speaking of pro sports in general, but the NBA and NFL lead the way).

Interesting choices there.

Bostondevil
09-16-2014, 10:49 AM
And while I am a "bit" sympathetic of school kids, I have none for these overpaid primadonnas in the pros. Most are grossly overpaid and far too many don't deserve to be walking the streets much less the accolades they receive (and yes I'm speaking of pro sports in general, but the NBA and NFL lead the way). Pay them less and if they don't like it find others. Again there are plenty of talented adults out there who would love to play the game they love as a job for much less pay. Pass on the savings to us as fans if nothing else.

Actually, I disagree. Roger Goodell makes $44 million a year. The NFL takes in $10 billion in profits every year. There is no such thing as an overpaid NFL player. Are some of them despicable human beings? Sure. But so is Roger Goodell and he's the one that, IMHO, is actually overpaid. We only know his salary because the NFL is a non-profit organization. Feel free to shake your head and read that sentence again. (MLB gave up their non-profit status awhile ago and one of the bigger reasons was so that they wouldn't have to make their commissioner's salary public.)