PDA

View Full Version : Country Day Retires Shane's Number

BD80
09-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Short article but good read - classic Shane

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007709120324&imw=Y

Cameron
09-12-2007, 12:08 PM
I would say that took long enough. Ten years? Shane should have had his number retired after he hit those 17 triples in a pre-season scrimmage his senior year at Country Day (referenced from an ESPN article from 2001).

Shane also has the greatest head in sports history.

blazindw
09-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I went to DCDS, and they haven't used Shane's number since he graduated. It's pretty much been retired since he graduated (when I was a freshman)...anyhow, congrats to Shane on it being official!

johnb
09-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Shane suggests that we do stuff that scares us, rather than just the stuff that we're good at. Excellent point.

I'd known he was a good student, but I had no idea that he made only 1 B in high school.

Cameron
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM
This thread makes me long for the days of Battier and Williams pounding three after three after three after three after three after three down the hearts of opponents. We were wicked good in 2001. That team is so vastly underrated it's not even funny. We'll probably never see such a potent offensive team like that at Duke again. They were just amazing when clicking on all cylinders.

"Whoosier your Daddy, Battier!!!"

DU82
09-15-2007, 09:17 PM
A note to Julio and/or Boswell, whichever one of you wrote the lead-in to the story, my guess is that Country Day, like Duke, has a rule of some sort that requires somebody to be out of school ten years before a ceremony like a number retirement can happen. (Duke will retire a jersey after graduation, but induction into the Duke Hall of Fame requires somebody to be "gone" ten years.) I think given it is exactly ten years, this is what happened.

If this indeed is what they do, then Shane's number retirement happened as soon as allowed.