PDA

View Full Version : Fall 2014 TV Lineup

YmoBeThere
09-10-2014, 04:13 AM
My latest bout of insomnia has me checking the Fall TV schedule. BBT moves to Monday, I'll watch the last vestiges of CSI on Sunday on DVR as I normally head to bed around 9:30 in my time xone(Central). Other than that, it appears it will be football 4 days a week. (Sorry, just can't do that.). I guess the broadcast stations are bordering on irrelevant now.

BD80
09-10-2014, 06:15 AM
My latest bout of insomnia has me checking the Fall TV schedule. BBT moves to Monday, I'll watch the last vestiges of CSI on Sunday on DVR as I normally head to bed around 9:30 in my time xone(Central). Other than that, it appears it will be football 4 days a week. (Sorry, just can't do that.). I guess the broadcast stations are bordering on irrelevant now.

Has there ever been a Fall TV season with less fanfare, less excitement, less quality?

Clay Feet POF
09-10-2014, 07:59 PM

The 2014 Fall TV schedule has Good News, Bad News for me. My favorite US program “Newsroom” ( HBO premiere November9 14) will be schedule to be cancelled after this season. Strong cast with Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, and Sam Waterston among others. Aaron Sorkin (West Wing) is the creator and writer. I will really miss it when it’s gone.

wilson
09-23-2014, 10:27 PM
I just watched the 'Gotham' premiere and really enjoyed it. Generally speaking, I don't love the superhero genre of films, but of the array of choices, Batman is easily my favorite. I also think it could translate well to a weekly show. The opening episode felt like a stand-alone comic book in its aesthetic and in that its story was an entertaining capsule that also left me wanting the next one. I'll watch it again next week.

FerryFor50
09-23-2014, 11:45 PM
I just watched the 'Gotham' premiere and really enjoyed it. Generally speaking, I don't love the superhero genre of films, but of the array of choices, Batman is easily my favorite. I also think it could translate well to a weekly show. The opening episode felt like a stand-alone comic book in its aesthetic and in that its story was an entertaining capsule that also left me wanting the next one. I'll watch it again next week.

I thought the cinematography was really strong. Very good visuals. The acting was decent. The dialogue was corny... as were some of the plot tangents they are setting up. Overall, should be decent.

Looking forward to the Flash. Also, if you haven't checked out Arrow, it has a very Batman feel to it and is actually a decent series. Season 1 is on Netflix.

JasonEvans
09-24-2014, 12:21 PM
I thought the cinematography was really strong. Very good visuals. The acting was decent. The dialogue was corny... as were some of the plot tangents they are setting up. Overall, should be decent.

Looking forward to the Flash. Also, if you haven't checked out Arrow, it has a very Batman feel to it and is actually a decent series. Season 1 is on Netflix.

I'm a big fan of Arrow, though it gets pretty hokey some episodes and they struggle at times to move the overall plot along while giving us "crime of the week" bad guy episodes. Some of the moral angst is a bit silly too. Still, I enjoy it and am looking forward to Flash, which is from the same producing team.

On another note, my favorite drama on network TV returned this week, The Blacklist. It was a very so-so episode but seems to set up something strong moving forward with Red's nemesis, Berlin taking captive of Red's ex-wife and dismembering her piece-by-piece.

As for Gotham, it is worth noting that it is in an almost impossible time slot. Big Bang, MNFootball, The Voice... yikes! Still, it did a fairly good 8 million viewers in its debut and Fox expects it to fare well in Live+7 (which factors in folks who DVR a show and watch it within the next 7 days). I bet a lot of DVRs were working overtime on Monday night during the 8pm hour!

-Jason "new season of Survivor debuts tonight! I've never missed a single episode" Evans

Tom B.
09-24-2014, 01:55 PM
"new season of Survivor debuts tonight! I've never missed a single episode"

I can't believe how long that show has lasted. There are kids entering high school this year who have never lived in a world without Survivor. Or CSI.

camion
09-24-2014, 01:59 PM
I can't believe how long that show has lasted. There are kids entering high school this year who have never lived in a world without Survivor. Or CSI.

I too can't believe it's been on that long. And just to balance things out with Jason I have never watched a single episode.

bjornolf
09-24-2014, 02:27 PM
I enjoyed Gotham quite a bit, and I also liked Forever as well. My wife is completely hooked on Outlander, but she was a big fan of the books.

JasonEvans
09-24-2014, 02:35 PM

That's nothing. There are kids graduating from grad school who have never lived in a world without The Simpsons. On Dec 17th this year, that show will turn 25. Crazy!

-Jason "by comparison, Survivor has only been around for about 15 years" Evans

gus
09-24-2014, 02:56 PM
That's nothing. There are kids graduating from grad school who have never lived in a world without The Simpsons. On Dec 17th this year, that show will turn 25. Crazy!

-Jason "by comparison, Survivor has only been around for about 15 years" Evans

The Simpsons were the main reason I watched the Tracy Ullman show. Man, that was a long time ago.

Tom B.
09-24-2014, 03:27 PM

True. I can't think of another show currently on the air that premiered when there was still a Soviet Union, a Czechoslovakia, a Yugoslavia, and two Germanys (barely -- the Berlin Wall had been opened a little over a month earlier, but reunification wouldn't happen until the next year).

mr. synellinden
09-24-2014, 03:34 PM
True. I can't think of another show currently on the air that premiered when there was still a Soviet Union, a Czechoslovakia, a Yugoslavia, and two Germanys (barely -- the Berlin Wall had been opened a little over a month earlier, but reunification wouldn't happen until the next year).

How about one that premiered before anyone walked on the moon? 60 Minutes.

Tom B.
09-24-2014, 06:25 PM
How about one that premiered before anyone walked on the moon? 60 Minutes.

True, though I was thinking of prime time entertainment shows, not news-related programming. Some of those daytime soap operas have been around forever, too.

Intersting that you bring up 60 Minutes, as today is the 46th anniversary of its first episode.

Highlander
09-25-2014, 02:08 PM
On another note, my favorite drama on network TV returned this week, The Blacklist. It was a very so-so episode but seems to set up something strong moving forward with Red's nemesis, Berlin taking captive of Red's ex-wife and dismembering her piece-by-piece.

I sat thru a few episodes of The Blacklist from last season on Neflix the other night. Definitely piqued my interest. Reminds me a bit of Silence of the Lambs meets the Following. I quit watching the Following b/c it was too keystone cop-ish for me. However, James Spader is very compelling and the plots are not too ridiculous so far. Definitely will stick with it a bit longer.

I'm trying to get my wife hooked on Dexter. She's insisting on watching the seasons in order, and I forgot how slowly season one is to get interesting. It isn't until the Ice Truck killer is revealed that things really pick up, and we're still 1-2 episodes away. I'm hoping to skip seasons 2-3 completely and go straight into season 4.

Blue in the Face
09-25-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm trying to get my wife hooked on Dexter. She's insisting on watching the seasons in order, and I forgot how slowly season one is to get interesting.
That whole series is really just one long buildup to the glory that is the final season.

JasonEvans
09-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Really cool survey and article by Variety (http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/tv-ad-prices-football-walking-dead-big-bang-theory-blacklist-top-the-list-1201314484/) on what it costs to buy ads on each prime time TV show. Football commands the highest numbers but The Walking Dead is putting up huge ad figures and The Blacklist and Big Bang Theory are very strong as well.

Some selected prices for a 30 second spot:

NBC Sunday Night Football: $623,425
NFL Thursday Night Football: $492,500
The Walking Dead $413,695
The Big Bang Theory: $322,891
The Blacklist: $284,586
American Idol: $266,333
The Voice: $262,041
Modern Family: $226,935
The Simpsons: $205,885
Gotham: $192,111
Family Guy: $160,240
Saturday Night College Football: $159,916
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: $154,374
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: $150,367
NCIS: $143,204
Survivor: $121,638
60 Minutes: $97,433
Arrow: $49,799

-Jason "pretty fun stuff... how can anyone still be paying top dollar for Agents of SHIELD?" Evans

Duvall
09-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Really cool survey and article by Variety (http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/tv-ad-prices-football-walking-dead-big-bang-theory-blacklist-top-the-list-1201314484/) on what it costs to buy ads on each prime time TV show. Football commands the highest numbers but The Walking Dead is putting up huge ad figures and The Blacklist and Big Bang Theory are very strong as well.

Some selected prices for a 30 second spot:

NBC Sunday Night Football: $623,425
NFL Thursday Night Football: $492,500
The Walking Dead $413,695
The Big Bang Theory: $322,891
The Blacklist: $284,586
American Idol: $266,333
The Voice: $262,041
Modern Family: $226,935
The Simpsons: $205,885
Gotham: $192,111
Family Guy: $160,240
Saturday Night College Football: $159,916
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: $154,374
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: $150,367
NCIS: $143,204
Survivor: $121,638
60 Minutes: $97,433
Arrow: $49,799

-Jason "pretty fun stuff... how can anyone still be paying top dollar for Agents of SHIELD?" Evans

Well, as long as we are focused about the important aspects of television, rather than obscure trivia like artistic merit.

YmoBeThere
09-26-2014, 10:46 PM

It must do very well in the coveted demographic...