PDA

View Full Version : Musically Speaking, Who Sucks?

EarlJam
09-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Musically speaking, who sucks the most? (EarlJam is not an option).

THIS IS MULTIPLE CHOICE, BUT PLEASE LIMIT YOUR PICKS TO THREE.

-EarlJam

EarlJam
09-12-2007, 11:04 AM
FYI - This poll comes as a result of a water cooler conversation in the office this morning. The names were mostly chosen from that conversaton.

-EarlJam

hurleyfor3
09-12-2007, 11:09 AM
You left out "all of the above." Except for Styx. 70's Styx (pre-Roboto) most certainly does NOT suck.

EarlJam
09-12-2007, 11:16 AM
You left out "all of the above." Except for Styx. 70's Styx (pre-Roboto) most certainly does NOT suck.

Yeah. The title of the Poll should be, "Who Sucks...THE MOST?"

And yes, STYX pre-Mr. Roboto was worthy of not being on this list.

-EarlJam

P.S. Hurleyfor3, is your moniker inspired specifically by Hurley's big three against Vegas in 1991? That guy was the toughest, grittiest (word?) Dukie ever - at least since I've been watching them.

JBDuke
09-12-2007, 12:21 PM
It's gotta be David Hasselhoff. As proof, I offer the following. (Have an air sick bag handy...)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PJQVlVHsFF8

jimbonelson
09-12-2007, 01:37 PM
How Did Poison Make The List??

EarlJam
09-12-2007, 01:41 PM

Unskinny Bop (bop, bop, bop) Just blows me away.

Up until then, they were relatively, somwhat safe.

-EarlJam

hurleyfor3
09-12-2007, 01:59 PM

um, because poison sucks

jimbonelson
09-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Unskinny Bop (bop, bop, bop) Just blows me away.

Up until then, they were relatively, somwhat safe.

-EarlJam

I guess your right that song really was bad but up until that album poison rocked the 80s

tombrady
09-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Bret Michael's show Rock of Love alone should bring Poison to this list.

That said, I love it.

EarlJam
09-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Bret Michael's show Rock of Love alone should bring Poison to this list.

That said, I love it.

"Tom Brady, will you rock my world?"

Good point about that show. I almost vomited when I heard Bret say that line. Cheese Central. And all those poor women who worship him.

That said, yes, I love it too.

-EarlJam

tombrady
09-12-2007, 04:05 PM
"Tom Brady, will you rock my world?"

Good point about that show. I almost vomited when I heard Bret say that line. Cheese Central. And all those poor women who worship him.

That said, yes, I love it too.

-EarlJam

In any other reality dating show, a woman's employment as a stripper would be a cause for her demise (or being an alcoholic, or a liar, etc etc)

In this show, she rockets to the top of the list. I just can't stand that stupid red-haired girl with the lip ring. I hope the one with the pink and blonde hair wins (as weird as that sounds ha).

edit: oh and the last stripper thats left is terrible.

EarlJam
09-12-2007, 04:14 PM
I hope the one with the pink and blonde hair wins (as weird as that sounds ha).

Doesn't sound weird at all. I haven't seen all the episodes, but in the ones I have seen she's by far the coolest. She's also beautiful. Get past the wild hair and all and she has a gorgeous face.

-EarlJam

Indoor66
09-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Musically speaking, who sucks the most? (EarlJam is not an option).

THIS IS MULTIPLE CHOICE, BUT PLEASE LIMIT YOUR PICKS TO THREE.

-EarlJam

Everybody since "the day the the music died."

EarlJam
09-12-2007, 05:47 PM
While I am certainly no fan of Michael Bolton, I always thought he had a lot of talent and a great, if scratchy, voice. Not for me, but I never really thought he sucked. Didn't he also sing opera?

Why does Micheal Bolton suck then?

The reason he made this list was 1) He came up in the conversation this morning and 2) The Office Space Effect

-EarlJam

hc5duke
09-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Everybody since "the day the the music died."

I cried when Mozart died, too. Those damn kids in baggy jeans listening to Brahams need to get off my lawn.

DevilWolf
09-12-2007, 06:06 PM
The answer is clearly Color Me Badd. In a piece of comedy genius, Beavis and Butthead once claimed that Color Me Badd was a "super-suck group" made up of (from left to right) George Michael, Vanilla Ice, Milli Vanilli and Kenny G.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f5/bxv/Stinky%20Butt/Color_Me_Badd.jpg

hc5duke
09-12-2007, 06:15 PM
The answer is clearly Color Me Badd. In a piece of comedy genius, Beavis and Butthead once claimed that Color Me Badd was a "super-suck group" made up of (from left to right) George Michael, Vanilla Ice, Milli Vanilli and Kenny G.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f5/bxv/Stinky%20Butt/Color_Me_Badd.jpg

Close, but wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Me_Badd#Trivia)says it was George Michael, Kenny G, and Snow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_%28musician%29)... Snow, Ice, same thing right? Though I think you're dead on with the other guy being Milli Vanilli

dukehoopsgirl
09-12-2007, 07:40 PM
While I am certainly no fan of Michael Bolton, I always thought he had a lot of talent and a great, if scratchy, voice. Not for me, but I never really thought he sucked. Didn't he also sing opera?

The reason he made this list was 1) He came up in the conversation this morning and 2) The Office Space Effect

-EarlJam

In an odd twist, in the early 90s I saw Michael Bolton in concert and his opening act was.....Celine Dion. At that time, one would not have guessed that she'd have her own sold-out Vegas show in 2007 and he'd be nothing but "eye candy" (although I'm not sure I can go there) for a Desperate Housewive!

DevilWolf
09-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Close, but wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Me_Badd#Trivia)says it was George Michael, Kenny G, and Snow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_%28musician%29)... Snow, Ice, same thing right? Though I think you're dead on with the other guy being Milli Vanilli

With all due respect, I trust my own memories of Beavis and Butthead more than I trust wikipedia. I could be wrong, but I won't change how I remember it. The genius of that show becomes more and more evident each year we move away from its finale.

EarlJam
09-12-2007, 09:53 PM
In an odd twist, in the early 90s I saw Michael Bolton in concert and his opening act was.....Celine Dion. At that time, one would not have guessed that she'd have her own sold-out Vegas show in 2007 and he'd be nothing but "eye candy" (although I'm not sure I can go there) for a Desperate Housewive!

Michael Bolton....Eye Candy??? Now that I do NOT see! Really???

-EarlJam

hc5duke
09-13-2007, 02:01 AM
With all due respect, I trust my own memories of Beavis and Butthead more than I trust wikipedia. I could be wrong, but I won't change how I remember it. The genius of that show becomes more and more evident each year we move away from its finale.

Hmm, I have a DVD set somewhere... I'm not sure if I have that specific episode but if I do, I'll check it out and let you know.

DevilWolf
09-13-2007, 08:47 AM
I want to remember it the way I remember it, but thanks for the offer. By the way, so jealous you have the DVD box set.

wilson
09-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Michael McDonald (post-Doobie) should be on this list too. Not only did he put out an entire disc butchering Motown hits, but he also did Sprint or AT&T or some such telephone commercials while cross-promoting an album.

EarlJam
09-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Michael McDonald (post-Doobie) should be on this list too. Not only did he put out an entire disc butchering Motown hits, but he also did Sprint or AT&T or some such telephone commercials while cross-promoting an album.

Excellent point Wilson. By the way, did you know that if you roll up a piece of paper towel or napkin and put it between your front bottom teeth and lip, then sing, you will sound just like suck-arse Michael McDonald?

-EarlJam

wilson
09-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Excellent point Wilson. By the way, did you know that if you roll up a piece of paper towel or napkin and put it between your front bottom teeth and lip, then sing, you will sound just like suck-arse Michael McDonald?

-EarlJam

That sounds about right, but I have no interest in sounding like him.
Also, I should point out that as time goes by, while I still enjoy a number of Doobie Brothers songs, I realize more and more that they weren't really as good as I thought they were.

Tommac
09-13-2007, 09:59 AM
That sounds about right, but I have no interest in sounding like him.
Also, I should point out that as time goes by, while I still enjoy a number of Doobie Brothers songs, I realize more and more that they weren't really as good as I thought they were.

I don't think Michael McDonald really sucks. I actually like his post-Doobie Bros music better than what the Doobies did with him. I never thought the Doobies sounded right after Tom Johnston left and was replaced by McDonald. They didn't rock after that. They made some top 40 stuff that sold but the music wasn't as good as the pre-McDonald Doobies. As for McDonald's solo career, I actually like his two Motown cd's, owning both.

throatybeard
09-13-2007, 02:50 PM

I saw him sing "Nessun dorma" badly on Oprah once.

Lavabe
09-13-2007, 09:25 PM
I don't think Michael McDonald really sucks. I actually like his post-Doobie Bros music better than what the Doobies did with him. I never thought the Doobies sounded right after Tom Johnston left and was replaced by McDonald. They didn't rock after that. They made some top 40 stuff that sold but the music wasn't as good as the pre-McDonald Doobies. As for McDonald's solo career, I actually like his two Motown cd's, owning both.

The Michael McDonald Doobies jumped the shark when they appeared on WHAT'S HAPPENING!! Remember THAT?:eek:

Cheers,
Lavabe

EarlJam
09-13-2007, 09:55 PM
The Michael McDonald Doobies jumped the shark when they appeared on WHAT'S HAPPENING!! Remember THAT?:eek:

Cheers,
Lavabe

YES! And I always remember Rog calling up the Doobie Brothers and saying, "...and which Doobie you be?"

Good one Lavabe!

-EarlJam

captmojo
09-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Doobies beyond Tom Johnston, wimpy bottom feeding suckers.

Tommac
09-14-2007, 08:30 AM
For you Doobie fans, in 1989 the Doobies released Cycles, with all new material. Brotherhood was released in 1991, also with new material. Both CD's are similar to the pre-McDonald version of the band. They didn't release any new material until 2000 with Sibling Rivalry, which was ok, but not as good as the two previous. 2004 saw the release of a cd and dvd of the Doobies, Live at Wolf Trap, very good. Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmons are in fine form. Recently, a two cd greatest hits cd was released. Most of disc 1 is vintage Tom Johnston Doobies. Disc 2 is mostly McDonald Doobies with an awful song included called Linkin, Blinkin & Nod. Embarrasing that this truly rocking band could release such a dreadful song.

billybreen
09-14-2007, 09:46 AM
I can't believe so many have voted for Bolton. I celebrate the guy's entire catalog.

captmojo
09-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Where is Fleetwood Mac?

NovaScotian
09-14-2007, 11:37 AM
amen

also, and creed is the worst band ever.

hc5duke
09-14-2007, 12:07 PM
I can't believe so many have voted for Bolton. I celebrate the guy's entire catalog.

That's it, strike one!

(third strike gets you a full disadulation)

DevilAlumna
09-14-2007, 02:31 PM

To be honest with you, I love his music. I do. I am a Michael Bolton fan. For my money, I don't think it gets any better than when he sings "When a man loves a woman."

hc5duke
09-14-2007, 02:49 PM
To be honest with you, I love his music. I do. I am a Michael Bolton fan. For my money, I don't think it gets any better than when he sings "When a man loves a woman."

Wow I can't believe I didn't get that the first time. Strike rescinded and placed on myself

mph
09-14-2007, 03:08 PM

-EarlJam

How true. If I had never heard Michael Bolten sing, I would have voted for him on the strength of Office Space alone.

billybreen
09-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Wow I can't believe I didn't get that the first time. Strike rescinded and placed on myself

Yeah, I assumed I had botched the quote (which, of course, I hadn't). I just didn't want to believe that you of all people could miss something so obvious. You read digg -- you're supposed to be a nerd.

JBDuke
09-14-2007, 03:18 PM

Like others, I missed the first, but got the second.

DevilAlumna
09-14-2007, 03:25 PM
For the record, I, DevilAlumna, do not actually like Michael Bolton. I think consider his music to be as unlistenable as that of Yanni, Kenny G, and John Tesh. I do, however, love Office Space.

What is it with these men with their cheezy music and bad hair??

hc5duke
09-14-2007, 03:31 PM
For the record, I, DevilAlumna, do not actually like Michael Bolton. I think consider his music to be as unlistenable as that of Yanni, Kenny G, and John Tesh. I do, however, love Office Space.

What is it with these men with their cheezy music and bad hair??

What is it with these women who have a thing for these men with their cheezy music and bad hair? Chicken or egg? ;)