PDA

View Full Version : Troy Brown, Jr. Recruiting Thread

tommy
09-08-2014, 09:52 AM
In case you don't check the front page, here's a look (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2014/9/8/6120589/a-look-at-troy-brown-jr)at 2017 PG recruit Troy Brown, Jr., a rising sophomore out of Las Vegas. Special kid.

superdave
09-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Is this the earliest we have offered a kid since Demarcus Nelson?

Sounds like a good kid from a good family. And he probably is not done growing.

Kedsy
09-08-2014, 11:12 AM
In case you don't check the front page, here's a look (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2014/9/8/6120589/a-look-at-troy-brown-jr)at 2017 PG recruit Troy Brown, Jr., a rising sophomore out of Las Vegas. Special kid.

Seems like a lot of top players seem to be coming out of Nevada lately. You think there's a reason or is it just random chance (or simply a figment of my imagination)?

PSurprise
09-08-2014, 11:21 AM
Seems like a lot of top players seem to be coming out of Nevada lately. You think there's a reason or is it just random chance (or simply a figment of my imagination)?

Yes.

In all seriousness, they are a random figment of your imagination. :p

devildeac
09-08-2014, 11:37 AM

Maybe he'll turn into another Dunleavy Jr. recruiting story/player. Recruit a PG and have a wing/3/SF or a stretch 4 matriculate. ;)

Henderson
09-08-2014, 12:20 PM

I was wondering that myself. I think it's more random chance than anything. There's Findlay Prep, which was established only 9 years ago by a local car dealer (the one Ed O'Bannon works for) and has already sent 7 players to the NBA. It's a basketball mill that attracts top players from all over like Huntington Prep. The academics -- based on correspondence courses -- are geared toward establishing NCAA eligibility.

There's also Bishop Gorman HS, a parochial school with a strong tradition of sports and strong academics that pulls many of the best players from the Las Vegas area. Chase Jeter and Stephen Zimmerman are both seniors there now. But they are both local kids. Chase goes there because his dad played for UNLV and stayed in LV (as a police officer). I'm less familiar with Zimmerman's family story.

Troy Brown Jr. goes to Centennial High, which is public. His mom and dad are both athletic (Dad played for Texas A&I -- now Texas A&M Kingsfield), and I don't know why they settled in Las Vegas. Here's a nice local piece about Troy Brown Jr. (http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/old-school-centennial-guard-soaring-basketball-rankings) from a couple months ago.

Olek Czyz came out of Reno, where he moved with his mother and sister at the age of 14 from Poland. Who knows why Reno.

One possible explanation for the current crop of outstanding Nevada players is that Nevada was exploding in population 10-20 years ago, with lots of people moving in. Great weather and no state income tax. We could be seeing a bubble of talent in Las Vegas as the kids of parents who came to (or stayed in) Las Vegas during that period of rapid population expansion become HS age. Chase Jeter might fit in that category, but I'm speculating.

These things ebb and flow. A few years ago, Oregon was a hotbed with Kevin Love, Kyle Singler, Terrence Jones, and Damon Stoudemire. (Stoudemire and Jones are cousins). Then there was the Alaska connection a few years ago with Carlos Boozer and Trajan Langdon. Boozer was a military brat, and Langdon's dad was an anthropologist studying the Tlingit natives at the University of Alaska-Anchorage. Just happenstance that they grew up in Alaska.

So, yeah, more random than anything I think.

tommy
09-08-2014, 12:25 PM

Might be a figment. :)

In the '15 class, Jeter, Zimmerman, and Ray Smith are elite prospects, there's a kid named Nick Blair who is a 3-4 star, but I think that might be it. The '16 class has a couple kids from Bishop Gorman named Zach Collins and Chase Nomaaea who may be players, and then there's Brown in '17 along with Charles O'Bannon, Jr. There are some other young kids coming up that may take their place in the upper echelons of the '16 and '17 classes, but I don't think they're there yet. Bishop Gorman is a real powerhouse program so they're going to continue to produce prospects. But maybe your perception is due to Duke having been involved with several Nevada kids lately when before we never really did.

What may be skewing it in people's minds too is Findlay Prep. That establishment obviously hosts a lot of top players, so it seems like they're coming out of Nevada, but almost none of them are actually from that state.

Kedsy
09-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Might be a figment. :)

In the '15 class, Jeter, Zimmerman, and Ray Smith are elite prospects, there's a kid named Nick Blair who is a 3-4 star, but I think that might be it. The '16 class has a couple kids from Bishop Gorman named Zach Collins and Chase Nomaaea who may be players, and then there's Brown in '17 along with Charles O'Bannon, Jr. There are some other young kids coming up that may take their place in the upper echelons of the '16 and '17 classes, but I don't think they're there yet. Bishop Gorman is a real powerhouse program so they're going to continue to produce prospects. But maybe your perception is due to Duke having been involved with several Nevada kids lately when before we never really did.

What may be skewing it in people's minds too is Findlay Prep. That establishment obviously hosts a lot of top players, so it seems like they're coming out of Nevada, but almost none of them are actually from that state.

Anthony Bennett and Shabazz Muhammad came from Nevada, too, right? But you may be right about Duke's involvement and Findlay Prep coloring my perceptions.

tommy
09-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Anthony Bennett and Shabazz Muhammad came from Nevada, too, right? But you may be right about Duke's involvement and Findlay Prep coloring my perceptions.

Muhammad, yes, but Bennett is from Canada. He then went to Nevada just to play at Findlay Prep before moving on to UNLV for a year, then the NBA.

BD80
09-08-2014, 02:15 PM

Maybe he'll turn into another Dunleavy Jr. recruiting story/player. Recruit a PG and have a wing/3/SF or a stretch 4 matriculate. ;)

Or Anthony Davis?

flyingdutchdevil
09-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Or Anthony Davis?

Dunleavy would be very good. Anthony Davis? Do you think a few DBRers actually believe Brown Jr to come back for a second year? ;)

superdave
09-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Dunleavy would be very good. Anthony Davis? Do you think a few DBRers actually believe Brown Jr to come back for a second year? ;)

He's 15 so I will reserve my outlandish expectations for a high schooler until he's 17. We'll need to see some cinderblock photos and discuss his diet and AAU teams as well.

Nevertheless, it is great to see the coaching stuff in early. Hard work pays off.

BD80
09-08-2014, 03:23 PM

On the flip side, for Troy to play with his "big brother" Chase, Chase would have to stick around for a least three years.

flyingdutchdevil
09-08-2014, 04:24 PM
On the flip side, for Troy to play with his "big brother" Chase, Chase would have to stick around for a least three years.

Kinda like Austin wanted Kyrie to stay for another year ;).

In all honesty, Chase staying for 4 years isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Jeter is and wants to be a true 5, but that body of his is built like a 3 or a spread 4. Furthermore, we're gonna be deep at the 4 and 5 in '15-'16 with Obi, MP3, Amile, and Semi. Not sure if Chase will be able to leap frog those players.

Chase Jeter is a unique player for Coach K: a highly skilled 5 who is physically unready for college ball (although he still has a year left, so anything can happen). If I recall correctly, Duke 5s have usually been physically ready (MPs, Okafor, Zoubek, Shelden, Brand, etc).

Duke79UNLV77
09-09-2014, 04:55 PM
If I recall correctly, Duke 5s have usually been physically ready (MPs, Okafor, Zoubek, Shelden, Brand, etc).

George Burgin wasn't physically ready.

jimsumner
09-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Jeter is a consensus top-10 player. Unless he's the second coming of Joey Beard, he should be in the rotation as a freshman.

BD80
09-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Jeter is a consensus top-10 player. Unless he's the second coming of Joey Beard, he should be in the rotation as a freshman.

Wouldn't that be the second "going" of Joey Beard?

tommy
09-29-2014, 03:09 PM

I was wondering that myself. I think it's more random chance than anything. There's Findlay Prep, which was established only 9 years ago by a local car dealer (the one Ed O'Bannon works for) and has already sent 7 players to the NBA. It's a basketball mill that attracts top players from all over like Huntington Prep. The academics -- based on correspondence courses -- are geared toward establishing NCAA eligibility.

There's also Bishop Gorman HS, a parochial school with a strong tradition of sports and strong academics that pulls many of the best players from the Las Vegas area. Chase Jeter and Stephen Zimmerman are both seniors there now. But they are both local kids. Chase goes there because his dad played for UNLV and stayed in LV (as a police officer). I'm less familiar with Zimmerman's family story.

I think there are going to continue to be a lot of very good players coming out of Nevada in the years to come. I was at a very good frosh/soph camp this weekend, and there were a lot of really good prospects from Vegas (and elsewhere too.) Most noticeable, though, was that Bishop Gorman itself had eight of the 200 kids at the camp, including Charles O'Bannon and a few other really impressive kids. That program is committed.

Duvall
09-29-2014, 03:15 PM
I think there are going to continue to be a lot of very good players coming out of Nevada in the years to come. I was at a very good frosh/soph camp this weekend, and there were a lot of really good prospects from Vegas (and elsewhere too.) Most noticeable, though, was that Bishop Gorman itself had eight of the 200 kids at the camp, including Charles O'Bannon...

Sorry, crumbling into dust now. (http://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/charles-obannon-jr-sg-2017)

BD80
09-29-2014, 04:55 PM
... I was at a very good frosh/soph camp this weekend, and there were a lot of really good prospects from Vegas ... including Charles O'Bannon ...

Did you have to pay extra to his family just to see him? Did they charge for taking photographs? Or do you even have to pay for writing about him?

sagegrouse
09-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Sorry, crumbling into dust now. (http://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/charles-obannon-jr-sg-2017)

Senor duvall: I have read the URL, and I am still at sea about your quoted phrase.

tbyers11
09-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Senor duvall: I have read the URL, and I am still at sea about your quoted phrase.

Can't speak for Duvall, but knowing that Charles O'Bannon has a son old enough to be recruited makes me feel ancient.

Henderson
09-29-2014, 09:34 PM
I think there are going to continue to be a lot of very good players coming out of Nevada in the years to come. I was at a very good frosh/soph camp this weekend, and there were a lot of really good prospects from Vegas (and elsewhere too.) Most noticeable, though, was that Bishop Gorman itself had eight of the 200 kids at the camp, including Charles O'Bannon and a few other really impressive kids. That program is committed.

That's good to hear. Academic abilities of individual players vary, of course, but Bishop Gorman is a well-regarded academic school, as well as being a powerhouse in both basketball and football. Their basketball coach, Grant Rice, has been at Bishop Gorman for 13 years and has bagged 9 state championships in that time. It'd be nice to establish a BG-->Duke pipeline.

Because Troy Brown, Jr.'s school (Centennial High) is public, it can't draw out of its geographic area quite the way BG can. But it's going to be fun to watch HS b-ball in Vegas this season. Based on your report, maybe for a stretch of seasons.

lotusland
09-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Did you have to pay extra to his family just to see him? Did they charge for taking photographs? Or do you even have to pay for writing about him?

Have your credit card ready when you click on the link.

MChambers
09-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Can't speak for Duvall, but knowing that Charles O'Bannon has a son old enough to be recruited makes me feel ancient.
Thanks for explaining that, although I too now feel ancient.

Duvall
09-30-2014, 12:56 PM

That is what I meant, yes.

ricks68
10-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Thanks for explaining that, although I too now feel ancient.

"Crusty", I think, is the official DBR term.;)

ricks

BD80
10-01-2014, 11:51 AM

ricks

Crusty? Perhaps "starched"

But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too starched in the seat

devildeac
10-01-2014, 12:28 PM

ricks

Crusty? Perhaps "starched"

But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too starched in the seat

The folks upstairs at CIS have often been referred to as the Cameron Crusties. Not sure who originated the term, but it's a good one;).

tommy
10-13-2014, 11:43 PM
Troy was at Kansas for their big Late Night thing this past weekend, and the Jayhawks offered him. No surprise there.