PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke vs Kansas 9/13/14 3:30 pm- Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

Bob Green
09-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Discuss the game here. Duke opened as a 20 points favorite in Vegas. It is nice to have a home game after the road trip to Troy, AL. Hopefully, Wallace Wade will contain a large, energetic crowd to cheer on the Blue Devils. It is Military Appreciation Day.

OldPhiKap
09-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Every game needs focus, every game gets tougher.

TCB, baby.

Newton_14
09-07-2014, 08:36 PM
TV is RSN (Regional Sports Network) so check your Fox Sports Channels.

Go Duke!

devildeac
09-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Discuss the game here. Duke opened as a 20 points favorite in Vegas. It is nice to have a home game after the road trip to Troy, AL. Hopefully, Wallace Wade will contain a large, energetic crowd to cheer on the Blue Devils. It is Military Appreciation Day.

I don't know much about the KU FB team but I think I'd be happy if we didn't beat the spread again and only won by 19;). (And maybe give up less than 300 yds defensively in the process.)

OldPhiKap
09-07-2014, 09:06 PM
I don't know much about the KU FB team but I think I'd be happy if we didn't beat the spread again and only won by 19;). (And maybe give up less than 300 yds defensively in the process.)

As long as we are favored, within a point plus or minus is okay with me.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Wow, 20 points? I never thought I'd see the day. I don't know anything about Kansas football. Are they that bad? They pasted us back in 2009.

uh_no
09-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Wow, 20 points? I never thought I'd see the day. I don't know anything about Kansas football. Are they that bad? They pasted us back in 2009.

they haven't been good since their QB graduated...though i forget his name

gep
09-07-2014, 11:36 PM
DBR front page article on the Troy game says that Kansas won 2, 1, and 3 games in the last 3 seasons.

uh_no
09-07-2014, 11:43 PM
DBR front page article on the Troy game says that Kansas won 2, 1, and 3 games in the last 3 seasons.

that doesn't sound like a lot

peloton
09-08-2014, 12:07 AM
that doesn't sound like a lot

Agreed - that isn't a lot...and we should know :o. But a new sheriff's in town.

Olympic Fan
09-08-2014, 12:24 AM
It's been a wild century for Kansas football.

Traditionally, they have not been very good(with just a few exceptions). Then in 2001 they hired Mark Mangino, the defensive coordinator at Oklahoma.

He rebuilt Kansas football much as Cut has revived Duke. Between 2007 and 2009, Kansas finished in the BCS top 25 three straight times -- with a high of No. 7 in 2007. But Mangino was fired over allegations of mistreatment of players. Kansas hired Turner Gill as a replacement and in the bottom fell out of the program.

Two years ago, they brought in Charlie Weiss. It's true they've been terrible for the last three years (six wins total), but they did expect to be better this season. Weiss brought in a bunch of jucos.

I know that in their opener, they were rolling to an impressive win when they collapsed in the fourth quarter and barely hung on to beat Southeast Missouri State.

Definitely a game Duke SHOULD win. We owe them from last year's hoops loss.

devildeac
09-08-2014, 07:50 AM

Traditionally, they have not been very good(with just a few exceptions). Then in 2001 they hired Mark Mangino, the defensive coordinator at Oklahoma.

He rebuilt Kansas football much as Cut has revived Duke. Between 2007 and 2009, Kansas finished in the BCS top 25 three straight times -- with a high of No. 7 in 2007. But Mangino was fired over allegations of mistreatment of players. Kansas hired Turner Gill as a replacement and in the bottom fell out of the program.

Two years ago, they brought in Charlie Weiss. It's true they've been terrible for the last three years (six wins total), but they did expect to be better this season. Weiss brought in a bunch of jucos.

I know that in their opener, they were rolling to an impressive win when they collapsed in the fourth quarter and barely hung on to beat Southeast Missouri State.

Charlie Weiss? As in "Cheeseburger" Charlie?;):rolleyes:

Olympic Fan
09-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Charlie Weiss? As in "Cheeseburger" Charlie?;):rolleyes:

Well, to be fair ... Charlie has had gastric bypass surgery (which nearly killed him) and has lost 90 pounds from his top weight at Notre Dame.

But, yeah, the guy has a weight problem. Maybe that's why they hired him -- Mangino, the most successful coach they've ever had, was even fatter than Weiss.

He looked like Mr. Creosote ...

Native
09-08-2014, 12:53 PM
One of the star safeties from my high school, Isaiah Johnson, plays for the Jayhawks.

Should be a fun little reunion.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Mangino's trip to the Orange Bowl gave us this gem:

Acymetric
09-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Missing this one to go to Farm Aid...I will be following closely on my phone though!

Henderson
09-08-2014, 10:31 PM

I've often been curious how coaches like that communicate to young players about the importance of eating nutritionally, making the right choices in life, and maintaining optimal physical condition. "Don't be like me (pass the Cheetohs)" isn't a good message from parents; does it work for coaches?

Reilly
09-08-2014, 11:38 PM
I've often been curious how coaches like that communicate to young players about the importance of eating nutritionally, making the right choices in life, and maintaining optimal physical condition. "Don't be like me (pass the Cheetohs)" isn't a good message from parents; does it work for coaches?

In Mangino's case, I think he said "don't be like me you ******* moron or you'll never see the field you ***-****** little piece of ****, do you understand you little ******* maggot?"

Henderson
09-09-2014, 12:07 PM
In Mangino's case, I think he said "don't be like me you ******* moron or you'll never see the field you ***-****** little piece of ****, do you understand you little ******* maggot?"

Then let him get his own ******* Cheetohs.

alteran
09-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Boy, is he lucky he didn't wear orange that day.

OldPhiKap
09-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Boy, is he lucky he didn't wear orange that day.

yet half an hour later, Obie was nowhere to be found . . . .

subzero02
09-09-2014, 02:54 PM
they haven't been good since their QB graduated...though i forget his name

His name is Todd Reesing. I saw him play in person at Raymond James stadium in september 2008 versus USF. The 2 things that I remember best about this game are Mangino was walking the sidelines in sweltering heat wearing a full length Kansas blue jacket and that Todd Reesing was an outstanding college quarterback. His performance in the loss was quite truly impressive; perhaps even more impressive was the fact that Mangino moved fluidly in a coat that had to be water logged with at least 60 pounds worth of sweat.

In regards to the 20 point spread, if we get off to a better start defensively, I think we should cover.

CameronBornAndBred
09-11-2014, 08:51 AM
A look at Duke's defense from Kansas' perspective.
http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2014/9/10/6129665/duke-blue-devils-defensive-preview

nocilla
09-11-2014, 02:24 PM
I was looking for a little more talk about our upcoming game and came across a couple articles from Laura Keeley. The first is a Q&A with a Kansas beat writer and the second a brief discussion of Edwards tackles, Willoughby's kickoffs, and Kansas being on the schedule. Surprisingly, nothing about Anthony Boone's worthiness as a QB is mentioned.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/10/4138844/duke-vs-kansas-ask-a-jayhawks.html#

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/09/4137009_duke-football-three-and-out-mantras.html?rh=1

nocilla
09-11-2014, 02:42 PM
A look at Duke's defense from Kansas' perspective.
http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2014/9/10/6129665/duke-blue-devils-defensive-preview

And the offensive preview;

http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2014/9/11/6134279/duke-blue-devils-offensive-preview

uh_no
09-11-2014, 02:46 PM
I was looking for a little more talk about our upcoming game and came across a couple articles from Laura Keeley. The first is a Q&A with a Kansas beat writer and the second a brief discussion of Edwards tackles, Willoughby's kickoffs, and Kansas being on the schedule. Surprisingly, nothing about Anthony Boone's worthiness as a QB is mentioned.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/10/4138844/duke-vs-kansas-ask-a-jayhawks.html#

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/09/4137009_duke-football-three-and-out-mantras.html?rh=1

my favorite quote:

in the 8 years before cut showed up....the devils won 10 games
the devils are 10-0 in their last 10 regular season games

Wander
09-11-2014, 03:00 PM

A lot wrong here... Kansas did not finish in the BCS Top 25 three straight times. They finished in it once, in 2007, when they were a national title contender, at #8. I'm not sure why you would think the 2009 team, which finished with a losing record, would make any final rankings. Mangino was the coach for that 2009 team that finished 1-7 in conference, so your implication that the hiring of Turner Gill is what sparked Kansas to become terrible is incorrect. And Kansas wasn't really predicted to be better this year, as they were picked last in the preseason conference polls (edit: I guess when you're as bad as Kansas, you can finish last in your conference and still have it be an improvement, but I'd say it's not a very meaningful improvement).

Duvall
09-11-2014, 03:29 PM
And Kansas wasn't really predicted to be better this year, as they were picked last in the preseason conference polls (edit: I guess when you're as bad as Kansas, you can finish last in your conference and still have it be an improvement, but I'd say it's not a very meaningful improvement).

I'd say Duke managed that in 2008, and it certainly *felt* meaningful.

OldPhiKap
09-11-2014, 04:27 PM
We were picked last in the Coastal last year, according to the "experts" -- so I don't put a lot of stock in where these same experts expect Kansas to end this year.

We have a period of time when we were a competitive team, but could not finish the game out. We have now turned that corner {knocking firmly on wood}. Kansas may be in that same period of growth. I would expect Charlie W. to get a somewhat competitive team on the field over time.

Wander
09-12-2014, 01:30 AM
I'd say Duke managed that in 2008, and it certainly *felt* meaningful.

Well, Kansas last year was terrible but still better than Duke before Cutcliffe, and I don't think Weis is a tenth the college coach that Cutcliffe is, but fair point.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Saturday's uniform will be all blue.:cool:

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2014, 01:27 PM
GoDuke.com has a fun video up featuring Blue Devil Alley, where we and DitBD have our tents. Both TNT and myself were interviewed by Dave Harding at the Elon game. That bite of of food he is sampling is our smoked turkey. For those that haven't been to a game in a while, this is what we are doing to help make the day a great experience. If you are there, come by, grab a bite and say hi!

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=3397645

Olympic Fan
09-12-2014, 02:13 PM
A lot wrong here... Kansas did not finish in the BCS Top 25 three straight times. They finished in it once, in 2007, when they were a national title contender, at #8. I'm not sure why you would think the 2009 team, which finished with a losing record, would make any final rankings. Mangino was the coach for that 2009 team that finished 1-7 in conference, so your implication that the hiring of Turner Gill is what sparked Kansas to become terrible is incorrect. And Kansas wasn't really predicted to be better this year, as they were picked last in the preseason conference polls (edit: I guess when you're as bad as Kansas, you can finish last in your conference and still have it be an improvement, but I'd say it's not a very meaningful improvement).

You are right -- Kansas only finished in the top 25 of the BCS in 2007 ... but they cracked the rankings during the season all three years.

I don't know what else was wrong. Yeah, Kansas is still picked low in the Big 12, but they are universally expected to be better -- kind of like Duke in 2013. Even though we were still picked last in the Coastal, the preseason focus was on how much better we would be.

BTW: For a look at the optimism that Kansas brings to this game, check out:

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article2088589.html

uh_no
09-12-2014, 03:11 PM
You are right -- Kansas only finished in the top 25 of the BCS in 2007 ... but they cracked the rankings during the season all three years.

I don't know what else was wrong. Yeah, Kansas is still picked low in the Big 12, but they are universally expected to be better -- kind of like Duke in 2013. Even though we were still picked last in the Coastal, the preseason focus was on how much better we would be.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article2088589.html

good for them. Appears weis is doing a good job motivating his team.

OldPhiKap
09-12-2014, 03:11 PM

i do not doubt that Kansas is coming in with optimistic anticipation. We need to squash it early and often.

nyesq83
09-13-2014, 07:54 AM
Have a great game everyone! Going to be in Raleigh for FarmAid so I can't make it.

subzero02
09-13-2014, 09:34 AM
The money has been flowing heavily towards Kansas... They are now only 14/13.5 point underdogs after opening as 20 point underdogs. I guess the betting public was less than impressed by our win at Troy.

budwom
09-13-2014, 09:38 AM
I can see why Kansas thinks they have a good shot....they are said to have a good secondary, and our defense has been less than scintillating.

Once again, I think the key will be if our OL can establish the running game. If they can, I like our chances.

IsInTheDetails
09-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Excited for game day, and excited that ESPN3 (via Apple TV) has served me well so far this season!

Any thoughts or predictions for today's game? I think this is a more important game for both teams than it appears on the surface. If Duke wins, no one blinks an eye, and that's okay. But if Kansas wins, it puts a bright stamp on their purported turnaround, and it puts a conspicuous blemish on Duke's resume coming off a season that many (not I) still consider a fluke.

While Southeast Missouri State may not be any better a foil than Elon was to Duke in our first week, Kansas displayed last week that they can put up some points (24 in the 1st quarter alone) and that they are committed to rushing the ball (261 yards on 49 attempts, v. only 24 pass attempts). Our defense hasn't proven yet that it can consistently stop the run, so I think we'll give up plenty of yards to Kansas on the ground, keeping them out of 3 & long situations where we'd have the advantage. That said, I expect our a defensive playmaker or two (my money's on Cash, ha!) to step up and make some big plays, and I think we'll see our first forced turnovers of the season.

Some additional big plays on defense, plus the fact that our own rushing game will get stronger as the game goes on with a superior offensive line and two young backs in Wilson and Ajeigbe who come in fresh after halftime, makes me think that we'll pull away late. I'm looking for a small lead at halftime, but we'll eventually win by a decent margin. I'm saying Duke 38 over Kansas 17.

Go Duke!

uh_no
09-13-2014, 10:21 AM
weather is VERY iffy this afternoon....40% chance scattered t-storms through the duration of the game....i was hoping for clear skies so WW would be bumping....

dukelifer
09-13-2014, 11:36 AM
weather is VERY iffy this afternoon....40% chance scattered t-storms through the duration of the game....i was hoping for clear skies so WW would be bumping....

Nothing major looming. Could be okay come game time. Maybe just a bit overcast.

budwom
09-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Nothing major looming. Could be okay come game time. Maybe just a bit overcast.

NOAA says showers and t-storms likely after 4pm, a tenth to a quarter inch of rain...70% chance of precip...nothing horrific, but more than clouds.

uh_no
09-13-2014, 12:30 PM
NOAA says showers and t-storms likely after 4pm, a tenth to a quarter inch of rain...70% chance of precip...nothing horrific, but more than clouds.

weather channel forecast is getting rosier....40% at 3pm, then 5->0% after that

Mabdul Doobakus
09-13-2014, 03:47 PM
The money has been flowing heavily towards Kansas... They are now only 14/13.5 point underdogs after opening as 20 point underdogs. I guess the betting public was less than impressed by our win at Troy.

I'm not surprised. I was surprised to see Duke favored by that much initially. We're not far removed at all from Duke football being viewed as a punchline. I just think the public isn't ready to give up 20 points against an FBS team.

Nice start to the game.

duke79
09-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Nice catch by McCaffrey. High throw and not an easy ball to pull in. Also, good second effort to get in the end zone.

mattman91
09-13-2014, 03:55 PM
We can NOT afford these injuries.

grossbus
09-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Two linemen down with knees in first 5 min. Not good.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Blakeney is such a big target. That's an NFL body right there. Off to a great start in this one.

grossbus
09-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Wilson! Wow!!

dukebluesincebirth
09-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Holy cow! Wilson is fast!!

Blue in the Face
09-13-2014, 04:07 PM
QFT.

davekay1971
09-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Quite a start by both our offense and defense. Great to see the team start well.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Thought that was a pretty generous ruling calling the Kansas QB out of the pocket. Kansas gets 3. 17-3.

riverside6
09-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Live stats for Duke/Kansas here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=6639

davekay1971
09-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Boone needs to settle down. He's made 2 terrible throws that he was lucky not to have picked off, and 3 big overthrows, in the last 3 drives. Our offense should be moving the ball effortlessly against this defense.

duke09hms
09-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Boone's hot start has cooled off, and his inaccuracy issues are resurfacing. I can easily see Kansas righting the ship and getting back in the game.

Our strategy of going for the jugular with long bombs on 1st down is not paying off and putting the offense in a hole.

duke09hms
09-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Well or we could just let our defense take over. Everett Edwards making good on all his potential with our 2nd INT!

OldSchool
09-13-2014, 04:33 PM

Edwards can fly too. Speed kills. It's great to see Duke killing others with speed rather than being killed by it.

duke79
09-13-2014, 04:38 PM
I hate to say this but Kansas reminds me of Duke in the old days. Terrible football and very sloppy. Unless Kansas rights the ship, Duke should win this one.

SCMatt33
09-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Boone's hot start has cooled off, and his inaccuracy issues are resurfacing. I can easily see Kansas righting the ship and getting back in the game.

Our strategy of going for the jugular with long bombs on 1st down is not paying off and putting the offense in a hole.

I think he might of gotten himself a bit rattled after the near pick he threw in the end zone. He's been missing everything to the safe side, long balls over everyone, short throws at the feet and sideline throws out of bounds.

duke09hms
09-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Oh man, Boone 8-18 against a weak Kansas D. Hard to be upset about being up 20-3 in the first half, but we should be carving these guys up.

Our left tackle is getting beat on the edge over and over.

Atldukie79
09-13-2014, 05:12 PM
It feels like we should be up 35-3.
Boone is off...way off.
Unlucky on the offensive interference call on the long bomb.
Monday had several weak punts.

Glad we are getting to the point where we can moan about a 1st half where we are up 17.

duke09hms
09-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Yeah, if Kansas were even an average team, we would be in a dogfight, likely even losing going into halftime.

roywhite
09-13-2014, 05:37 PM
Oh man, Boone 8-18 against a weak Kansas D. Hard to be upset about being up 20-3 in the first half, but we should be carving these guys up.

Our left tackle is getting beat on the edge over and over.

It's the bad Anthony Boone we see from time to time.

Hope the good Anthony shows up in the second half, and puts this one away.

SCMatt33
09-13-2014, 06:08 PM
That was a great play right there getting Kansas to bite on the sweep and taking it right up the gut with Wilson.

PSurprise
09-13-2014, 06:17 PM

DukeTrinity11
09-13-2014, 06:37 PM
We've never had someone in our backfield like Shaun Wilson. Wow, JUST WOW!!!

Wander
09-13-2014, 06:38 PM
So, who had Shaun Wilson on their ACC fantasy team?

mattman91
09-13-2014, 06:39 PM
We've never had someone in our backfield like Shaun Wilson. Wow, JUST WOW!!!

Pretty good, isn't he?

TruBlu
09-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Pretty good, isn't he?

Record breaking.

Wilson is good. Running back corps look set.

Max is showing some toughness after catching the ball . . . almost Vernon like.

Defense hasn't allowed a touchdown in last 7 quarters.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Nice nice nice.