PDA

View Full Version : The ACC: Week 2

Duvall
09-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Six quarters into the season, Pitt looks like a serious contender for the Coastal title. Up 20-7 at BC at the half.

Bob Green
09-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Pitt is very strong running the ball plus they have a talented receiver in Tyler Boyd. That's a dangerous combination. I agree they look like a Coastal Division contender.

Acymetric
09-05-2014, 08:59 PM
They do look good, but keep in mind this is BC. Whichever way our game goes later this season, will not be surprised to see another shootout.

Bob Green
09-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Clemson's defense is dominating an overmatched SCSU team. Georgia Tech at Tulane at 4 pm will give us a look at two future opponents.

Newton_14
09-06-2014, 10:48 PM
So will merge this with the Week 2 ACC thread after posting but wanted to draw attention for those looking a game to watch after the Duke win.:cool:

Olympic Fan
09-07-2014, 12:05 AM
With UNC pulling their game out of their kazoo ... and Virginia Tech finishing up their victory at Ohio State, the ACC just completed the most successful weekend in conference history.

As a league, the ACC was 11-0 OOC. That's the most wins in a single weekend (previous best 10 wins Sept. 2-6, 2010), and the most wins in one day (previous was eight wins twice -- once in 2009 and once in 2013). It matches the best weekend OOC winning percentage, but 11-0 is much better than the previous best of 6-0 (once in 2008 and once in 1979).

Okay, so this is just the second year with 14 members, so a lot more chances to win ... and most of the wins were versus pretty lame opponents (BPO's in the lone exception).

Still, it's a pretty nice accomplishment. The ACC is now 20-3 against OOC opponents.

Compare that with the mighty Big Ten. Today alone:

Ohio State lost at home to Virginia Tech
Michigan was massacred by Notre Dame
Michigan State was chewed up late by Oregon
Purdue lost to Central Michigan
Northwestern lost to Northern Illinois

Nebraska edged McNeese State on an amazing play (look for it in highlights!)
Iowa rallied late to edge Ball State
Maryland rallied late to get past USF ...

At least one of the Big Five conferences will be shut out of the playoffs. Right now, I'd say the Big Ten is the favorite for that dubious honor.

sagegrouse
09-07-2014, 08:55 AM
At least one of the Big Five conferences will be shut out of the playoffs. Right now, I'd say the Big Ten is the favorite for that dubious honor.

That's what happens if you have a dalliance with "Typhoid Maryland"

YmoBeThere
09-07-2014, 09:42 AM
That's what happens if you have a dalliance with "Typhoid Maryland"

Ahhh, but at the moment Rutgers and Maryland are at the top of the East Division standings.

TruBlu
09-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Ahhh, but at the moment Rutgers and Maryland are at the top of the East Division standings.

Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are. (With the possible exceptions being the rest of the Big Something-or-Other)

OldPhiKap
09-07-2014, 11:52 AM

Of course, Syracuse and Pitt led the ACC basketball standings. For a bit. Early.

Wait until Md has to go to Nebaska or Iowa or Michigan or Indiana in November. Brrrrr.

devildeac
09-07-2014, 12:05 PM

Sounds like the time is right for dancing (rioting) in the streets of northern NJ and College Park.:rolleyes:

Olympic Fan
09-07-2014, 12:27 PM

Actually, that's not quite true.

While both Maryland and Rutgers are 2-0 overall, neither has played a conference game, so they are 0-0 in the conference standings -- like everybody else.

PS: Penn State is also 2-0 overall in the Big Ten East, but like UNC in 2012, they are on probation and not eligible to compete for the division title.

devildeac
09-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Actually, that's not quite true.

While both Maryland and Rutgers are 2-0 overall, neither has played a conference game, so they are 0-0 in the conference standings -- like everybody else.

PS: Penn State is also 2-0 overall in the Big Ten East, but like UNC in 2012, they are on probation and not eligible to compete for the division title.

If they "won" the division title, I wonder if their coach would be so bold (stupid? arrogant?) to dole out championship t-shirts and/or rings...

Not mentioning any names or programs :rolleyes:.

YmoBeThere
09-07-2014, 02:17 PM
The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:
(a) If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative. (Doesn't apply yet)
(b) If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 7 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other.(Doesn't apply yet)

2. The records of the three tied teams will be compared within their division.(Doesn't apply yet)

3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, and 6).(Doesn't apply yet)

4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.(Doesn't apply yet)

5. The highest ranked team in the first College Football Playoff poll following the completion of Big Ten regular season conference play shall be the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game, unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of each other in the College Football Playoff poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game. (Doesn't apply yet)

6. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.

7. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

So, if for some reason they had to stop today, I think rules #6 and #7 would control at this juncture. Yes, of course they have many more games to play. :rolleyes: As do we...

roywhite
09-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Pitt is very strong running the ball plus they have a talented receiver in Tyler Boyd. That's a dangerous combination. I agree they look like a Coastal Division contender.

Yeah, agree, and could be a tough matchup for the Duke defense. The Pitt offensive line is strong and big, averaging well over 300# per man (they did lose their starting center to injury in the BC game), and the running back James Conner is a load at 250#. Play up too close and they can go long with Tyler Boyd. Pitt doesn't have the blocking schemes that Paul Johnson uses at Georgia Tech, but they do combine the strong running attack with one major home run threat at WR, so that's similar to Georgia Tech, and we know Duke has fared poorly vs Tech.

I don't really expect Duke and Pitt to go for 50+ points each when they meet, but we may need to outscore them to win. The game is November 1 in Pittsburgh.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-08-2014, 04:51 AM
I don't really expect Duke and Pitt to go for 50+ points each when they meet, but we may need to outscore them to win. The game is November 1 in Pittsburgh.

I would wager big money that it would be impossible to win in Pitt without outscoring Pitt.

devildeac
09-08-2014, 07:53 AM
I would wager big money that it would be impossible to win in Pitt without outscoring Pitt.

I'd take that same bet if we played them in Derm this year. Or next year. Or any year.;):rolleyes:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-08-2014, 07:56 AM
I'd take that same bet if we played them in Derm this year. Or next year. Or any year.;):rolleyes:

If Coach Cut can develop a winning gameplan without scoring more points, he really would be quite the game-changer.

In seriousness, outside of the mysteriously ranked UNC team's second straight disappointing narrow victory, the ACC looked my sharper this week.

Wander
09-08-2014, 12:04 PM
In seriousness, outside of the mysteriously ranked UNC team's second straight disappointing narrow victory, the ACC looked my sharper this week.

Eh. The ACC's opponents were so atrocious this weekend that it's hard to take anything out of it. Except Virginia Tech, of course, but I want to wait and see a bit - would anyone here be surprised if they followed this up by being upset by East Carolina or Georgia Tech? Duke's victory over Troy was probably the 2nd best conference win of the weekend.

YmoBeThere
09-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Except Virginia Tech, of course, but I want to wait and see a bit - would anyone here be surprised if they followed this up by being upset by East Carolina or Georgia Tech?

Nice call...