PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 09-02-14

jimsumner
09-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Nothing really Earth-shattering today.

This morning's practice was the hottest of the year. Might help acclimate to Alabama in the summer. Cut says Duke has done a pretty good job of educating its players about proper hydration in really hot weather and doesn't seem too concerned.

Cutcliffe, of course, is an Alabama native and this is the first time he's taken a Duke team to his home state. Tight end David Reeves also is from Alabama. He and Cut report scrounging for tickets.

Speaking of Reeves, his teammates all call him D.J. and Reeves tell us that's what he goes by. So, it's D.J. from here on out.

Duke played 18 freshmen against Elon, five true and 13 redshirt. Troy is a non-conference game and theoretically Duke can take as many players as it wants. But that's expensive. Duke plans to take 76-78 players, with the decision on whom to leave behind coming later. I suspect most of the true freshmen who did not play against Elon will stay home.

Cut says to expect some personnel changes on special teams. Duke not happy with Elon's ability to return kicks. Cut says Duke was not physical enough. Duke had a very physical practice today. Much emphasis on trying to force some turnovers.

Expect Casey Blaser and Tanner Stone to continue to share right tackle. Cut says they are very close and future PT "will be based on production."

Blaser is listed at 285 but told me he's actually about 280. If you don't follow college football closely, it might seem ridiculous to claim that a 6-5, 280-pounder is on the small side but that's pretty small for an ACC-level offensive tackle. Blaser told me that he compensates with superior conditioning, which enables him to play every play at the highest level. He hopes to hit around 295 before he leaves Duke.

Cut would like Thomas Sirk to run more like a quarterback and less like a fullback. He describes Sirk as tough and a great competitor who needs to learn that tough guys can use their speed instead of running over people.

Duke had three players (Crowder, Blakeney and Sirk) score two touchdowns last Saturday. How often can you use that sentence?

Henderson
09-02-2014, 02:11 PM

Yeah, well, pretty interesting stuff anyhow. Thanks.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-02-2014, 02:12 PM

This morning's practice was the hottest of the year. Might help acclimate to Alabama in the summer. Cut says Duke has done a pretty good job of educating its players about proper hydration in really hot weather and doesn't seem too concerned.

Cutcliffe, of course, is an Alabama native and this is the first time he's taken a Duke team to his home state. Tight end David Reeves also is from Alabama. He and Cut report scrounging for tickets.

Speaking of Reeves, his teammates all call him D.J. and Reeves tell us that's what he goes by. So, it's D.J. from here on out.

Duke played 18 freshmen against Elon, five true and 13 redshirt. Troy is a non-conference game and theoretically Duke can take as many players as it wants. But that's expensive. Duke plans to take 76-78 players, with the decision on whom to leave behind coming later. I suspect most of the true freshmen who did not play against Elon will stay home.

Cut says to expect some personnel changes on special teams. Duke not happy with Elon's ability to return kicks. Cut says Duke was not physical enough. Duke had a very physical practice today. Much emphasis on trying to force some turnovers.

Expect Casey Blaser and Tanner Stone to continue to share right tackle. Cut says they are very close and future PT "will be based on production."

Blaser is listed at 285 but told me he's actually about 280. If you don't follow college football closely, it might seem ridiculous to claim that a 6-5, 280-pounder is on the small side but that's pretty small for an ACC-level offensive tackle. Blaser told me that he compensates with superior conditioning, which enables him to play every play at the highest level. He hopes to hit around 295 before he leaves Duke.

Cut would like Thomas Sirk to run more like a quarterback and less like a fullback. He describes Sirk as tough and a great competitor who needs to learn that tough guys can use their speed instead of running over people.
Thank you for that report, Jim. I enjoyed learning all those details, but particularly appreciated what Coach Cutcliffe had to say about Thomas Sirk and his transition into the QB opposition.:D