PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Smith, Jr. Recruiting Thread

tommy
09-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Guys, it's been suggested that we return to the creation of threads for specific recruits once the recruitments get to a certain level of seriousness, and I think that's a good idea. Discussion of a specific guy can get lost in the general "2015" or "2016" threads.

Also, there are probably a lot of folks on here who read the front page but not the boards, or vice-versa, and linking to the front page piece on Dennis Smith, for example, and others that I or others can start, is a good way to let folks who are only on the boards know that there is more info available on the young man and his recruitment right here on DBR. Moreover, the recruiting information is available for free, and not being hidden behind a pay wall or other "premium" or "membership" barrier.

So, in any event, here's the thread for discussion of Dennis Smith, and in case you may have missed it, here is the piece on him (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2014/8/28/6077561/a-look-at-rising-point-guard-dennis-smith-jr) published on the front page last week.

Kedsy
09-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Guys, it's been suggested that we return to the creation of threads for specific recruits once the recruitments get to a certain level of seriousness, and I think that's a good idea. Discussion of a specific guy can get lost in the general "2015" or "2016" threads.

Also, there are probably a lot of folks on here who read the front page but not the boards, or vice-versa, and linking to the front page piece on Dennis Smith, for example, and others that I or others can start, is a good way to let folks who are only on the boards know that there is more info available on the young man and his recruitment right here on DBR. Moreover, the recruiting information is available for free, and not being hidden behind a pay wall or other "premium" or "membership" barrier.

So, in any event, here's the thread for discussion of Dennis Smith, and in case you may have missed it, here is the piece on him (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2014/8/28/6077561/a-look-at-rising-point-guard-dennis-smith-jr) published on the front page last week.

Nice article, tommy. You've been doing a great job with the recruiting info lately and I, for one, very much appreciate it.

ChillinDuke
09-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Nice article, tommy. You've been doing a great job with the recruiting info lately and I, for one, very much appreciate it.

And I, for two, very much do as well.

Many thanks!

- Chillin

dukelifer
09-02-2014, 03:21 PM

I have only seen this kid a couple times on TV- but he is very impressive. He is very strong with the ball and fearless. He will be an excellent college player. Hope Duke lands him.

roywhite
09-02-2014, 03:54 PM
With Smith's ranking and some of the highlights I've seen, I was surprised to learn that he was cut from the USA Basketball U-17 team, which recently won a Gold Medal.

Can Tommy or anyone else shed some light on that?

tommy
09-02-2014, 05:06 PM
With Smith's ranking and some of the highlights I've seen, I was surprised to learn that he was cut from the USA Basketball U-17 team, which recently won a Gold Medal.

Can Tommy or anyone else shed some light on that?

By his own admission, Dennis did not play well in the tryouts in Colorado Springs, and was beaten out for this particular team by Derryck Thornton, only to have Thornton then break his wrist and not be able to compete in Dubai.

Clay Feet POF
09-02-2014, 05:40 PM

Speaking of recruiting! What a coup that Tommy will be DBR recruiting Guru. Thank you so much. Christmas came early.

Newton_14
09-02-2014, 08:10 PM

Thanks Tommy. Good stuff, and congrats on the new gig.

Speaking of recruiting! What a coup that Tommy will be DBR recruiting Guru. Thank you so much. Christmas came early.

Indeed. Nice end of summer surprise.

tommy
10-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Coach K and the staff have been out west for the last several days, first watching TJ Leaf and then today they were watching Findlay Prep PG Derryck Thornton. I'll confirm it myself shortly, but have heard that Duke offered Thornton after the visit. Nobody should infer that the offer means we're "backing off" of Dennis Smith, Jr. Not at all. In fact, K and the staff just visited Dennis -- again -- last week, plus he's been on balling on Duke's campus recently too. But all the eggs are not going to be in one basket. Nor should they be.

budwom
10-14-2014, 08:57 AM
oh well...

MChambers
10-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Thornton did get an offer. So much for the (previously controversial) notion that Smith was our guy and only guy at PG.
I really would prefer that Thornton not come to Duke, just because of the many misspellings of his last name that we will see here.

budwom
10-14-2014, 11:11 AM
^ ??

devildeac
10-14-2014, 12:29 PM
I really would prefer that Thornton not come to Duke, just because of the many misspellings of his last name that we will see here.

^ ??

Methinks MChambers omitted one of these (:rolleyes:) or these (;)) from his post about the next possible Thorton/Thornton at Duke to play MBB.

MChambers
10-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Methinks MChambers omitted one of these (:rolleyes:) or these (;)) from his post about the next possible Thorton/Thornton at Duke to play MBB.

Confirmed. Sorry for forgetting an emoticon!

devildeac
10-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Confirmed. Sorry for forgetting an emoticon!

Worthy of life imprisonment. Without parole. Or at least a weekend in chappaheeya and forced to look at the hideously colored mass transit vehicles they have.

Oh, and I almost forgot (;):rolleyes:).

budwom
10-14-2014, 12:47 PM
gotcha.

Sorry, did not recall a Thornton spelling problem....I'm think "Derryck" would theoretically pose a much bigger problem....

FerryFor50
10-14-2014, 12:50 PM
gotcha.

Sorry, did not recall a Thornton spelling problem....I'm think "Derryck" would theoretically pose a much bigger problem....

Plenty of posters spelled Tyler Thornton as Thorton...

Kedsy
10-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Sorry, did not recall a Thornton spelling problem.

You must not read Greybeard's posts.

superdave
10-14-2014, 01:32 PM
You must not read Greybeard's posts.

No....no I do not....

Class of '94
10-14-2014, 02:31 PM
By his own admission, Dennis did not play well in the tryouts in Colorado Springs, and was beaten out for this particular team by Derryck Thornton, only to have Thornton then break his wrist and not be able to compete in Dubai.

You've made an excellent point Tommy about not putting all of your eggs in one basket. However, wasn't Dennis' camp told that he was the only PG being recruited? I may have that mixed up with someone else; but if that is the case, how does Dennis' camp view the new offer and what K had told them if in fact they were told Dennis was the only PG they were recruiting in his class?

budwom
10-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Yes, what Dennis said and what was actually going on were two entirely different things. One can speculate about how and why this happened...

ChillinDuke
10-14-2014, 03:09 PM
Yes, what Dennis said and what was actually going on were two entirely different things. One can speculate about how and why this happened...

How and why what happened? Sorry, I'm a bit slow today.

If you're referring to Thorton (ha! had to) getting an offer, I see no reason why this is a problem. Just because Smith is Duke's man doesn't mean that Duke is Smith's school. And thus we have hedged just in case. I'm cool with it. After all, the recruit gets final say in these arrangements.

- Chillin

mr. synellinden
10-14-2014, 06:22 PM

Are you suggesting that what Smith said about being the only PG recruit for 2016 is inconsistent with what he was told or what the staff believed was communicated?

Henderson
10-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Are you suggesting that what Smith said about being the only PG recruit for 2016 is inconsistent with what he was told or what the staff believed was communicated?

Smith didn't say he was told he was the only PG recruit for 2016. He said the staff told him he was Duke's only PG priority. Who knows what was actually said (important point that), and the distinction may be small, but the latter (if that was the phrase used) wouldn't preclude recruiting an alternative in case Smith goes elsewhere.

slower
08-13-2016, 09:43 AM
I just went back and watched video of this kid. If he's healthy, he's going to destroy people.

Olympic Fan
08-13-2016, 01:28 PM
I just went back and watched video of this kid. If he's healthy, he's going to destroy people.

Very interesting that Smith dropped to No. 49 in the final rsci ... that's because he wasn't ranked by a number of services. The three that did rank him had him at No. 4 (Prep Stars), No. 7 (247) and No. 10 (Scout). Not sure why he was not ranked by the other services, which all ranked Giles, who also missed his senior year. Maybe it's because Smith enrolled at NC State in January. His health is apparently very good -- he was working out with the team late last season, holding his own against Cat Barber.

It's kind of funny -- and highlights the paranoia of our NC State friends (allies in our neverending battle against the forces of darkness in Chapel Hill) -- but there's a thread on Pack Pride in which some posters are already angry that Smith will not be picked preseason ACC rookie of the year because he doesn't play at Duke or UNC. They are sure it will be Giles ... although nobody acknowledges that Giles is the top-rated prospect to come into the league -- he was rated ahead of Smith even in the preseason rsci, when both were top 10 prospects.

That said, I think Smith will be a strong candidate for the real (post-season) ACC rookie of the year. I think he and Jonathan Isaacs at FSU are the two non-Duke rookies who could be in the mix. Duke has so many good freshmen that they might split the vote.

FWIW, here's how the top ACC recruits were rated in the final rsci:

2. Giles, Duke
4. Tatum, Duke
7. Isaacs, FSU
11. Bolden, Duke
14. Jackson, Duke
19. Bradley, UNC
25. King, Louisville
26. Brown, Miami
27. Huell, Miami
31. Battle, Syracuse
32. Guy, Virginia
35. DeLaurier, Duke
(just ahead of No. 37 Thon Maker ... although to be fair, Maker is like Smith -- not ranked by a number of services)
40, Woods, UNC
46. Jerome, Virginia
49. Smith, N.C. State

That's all the top 50 guys. I must say that NC State is greatly underrated on this list because of the odd treatment of Smith, who is clearly a top 10 talent, and the absence of Omer Yurtseven, who is probably a top 10 guy too -- he made the all-tournament team at the European U20 event, even though he was two years younger than any other player. Come to think of it, Yurtseven could be another ROY candidate -- if h and Smith don't split the vote.