PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke at Troy, 7P KO

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-31-2014, 11:51 PM
The win over Elon was a good opener for the season. It's now time to begin to prepare for Troy. As Coach Cutcliffe said last year, Troy may not be well known in this part of the country, but the football team is no pushover.

Who's got the scouting report?

-bdbd
09-01-2014, 12:27 AM
Duke at Troy in Alabama on Sat., Sept. 6th, at 6pm, on ESPN3...

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=22666&SPID=1843

Sun Belt member.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Troy_Trojans_football_team

While they played us tough last year, eventually falling 38-31, this year's team is missing some key players from last year. As one barometer, last year's squad beat UAB in OT, but this year they were trounced at UAB last weekend. This is their home opener.

Henderson
09-01-2014, 01:11 AM
Duke at Troy in Alabama on Sat., Sept. 6th, at 6pm, on ESPN3...

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=22666&SPID=1843

Sun Belt member.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Troy_Trojans_football_team

While they played us tough last year, eventually falling 38-31, this year's team is missing some key players from last year. As one barometer, last year's squad beat UAB in OT, but this year they were trounced at UAB last weekend. This is their home opener.

The win last year against UAB was at home, and they won; this year they played in Birmingham and lost big. Duke beat them in Durham last year. One possible takeaway is that Troy is much tougher at home than on the road, and this year we play them on their turf. They'll want this game badly. Not a good one to take lightly.

Bob Green
09-01-2014, 06:55 AM
Duke opened as an 18 point favorite in Vegas.

Jarhead
09-01-2014, 11:04 AM
What TV channel is carrying this game here in central NC? Time Warner's schedule doesn't show it, and ESPN3 is a sorry choice. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/7.gif

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-01-2014, 11:11 AM
What TV channel is carrying this game here in central NC? Time Warner's schedule doesn't show it, and ESPN3 is a sorry choice. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/7.gif
ESPN3 is the only coverage other than the Duke radio network.

Henderson
09-01-2014, 02:05 PM
ESPN3 is the only coverage other than the Duke radio network.

For people without televisions, ESPN3 can be a lifeline. At least the ESPN video quality is generally pretty good, unlike the frustratingly grainy streams I've gotten from goduke.com in the past. Nothing like watching games on a laptop, then going to watch them on a 60" HDTV. It's almost like going from black and white to color.

Troy only scored 10 points against UAB, and they gave up 48. Gotta figure Duke will score a lot of points. It'll be interesting to see if the Duke defense can shut down Troy like UAB did.

One thing I'll say for Troy: Their mascot is easy to remember. You know there are a couple of high schools from towns named "Sparta" whose mascot is a Trojan? One in North Carolina and one in Missouri. Figure that one out.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-01-2014, 02:28 PM
The fact that Troy had a disappointing opener in a away game does not necessarily mean that they'll roll over at home. This is going to be a tough test for both our offense and defense. The schedule for the first three weeks is something of a progression in terms of potential growth which can happen as the level of competition grows stronger.

Bob Green
09-01-2014, 07:02 PM
UAB rushed 52 times for 338 yards and four touchdowns in their win over Troy. That's 6.5 yards per attempt. I expect Duke will look to establish the run game while mixing in the pass.

Bomar
09-02-2014, 09:16 AM
As a Jacksonville State University alumni (We used to be HUGE rivals with Troy until they changed divisions in 2000), all I can say is WHUP TROY!!! Go DUKE!!

dpslaw
09-02-2014, 12:30 PM
One thing I'll say for Troy: Their mascot is easy to remember. You know there are a couple of high schools from towns named "Sparta" whose mascot is a Trojan? One in North Carolina and one in Missouri. Figure that one out.

Turnabout is fair play. The mascot of the Troy (Ill.) youth baseball team is a Spartan!

duke blue brewcrew
09-02-2014, 01:54 PM

First my disclaimer - I'm not an Apple stockholder, nor am I really a fan of their products. That said,Apple TV has greatly improved my ESPN 3 viewing experience and I highly recommend it. It's easy to use, works just like an app on your phone. They typically run around $100 plus the HDMI cable.

Olympic Fan
09-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Just checked the weather forecast for Saturday night in Troy -- high of 92 degrees with a 50 percent chance of rain (thundershowers)

Hoping we don't have one of the games that's delayed or cancelled ...

Bob Green
09-03-2014, 05:06 AM
Troy Football Press Conference - Duke Game:

http://www.troytrojans.com/news/2014/9/1/FB_0901144127.aspx

Head Coach Larry Blakeney:

We rushed for 71 yards, and that is not enough. We are going to try and get to where we can run the football. I think that is somewhere that we can be better at with our offensive line and tight ends and our backs.

CameronBornAndBred
09-03-2014, 08:08 AM
A look ahead on wral.com.

"Obviously last week we out-physical'd Elon, as far as on offense we just physically dominated them," said Duke quarterback Anthony Boone. "But this is a team that's not going to let you go into their place, first home opener in a new stadium, just come in there and try to beat them up. That's not going to happen."

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-faces-road-test-at-troy/13945070/#OMZfFkzzU4sFCVG6.99

Bob Green
09-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Al Featherston article:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209632197&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Coach Cutcliffe quote on the upcoming road trip:

I don’t know yet if it will carry over, I can tell you exactly what made us a good road team [in 2013]. I said it at the end of last season – that team had the best peer leadership I have ever been around. Your team is controlled more by your teammates on the road – being around a hotel, moving from meeting to meeting. It’s just a different atmosphere – the mentality on the plane, the mentality on the day of the game.

I thought our seniors last year was the best group I had been around, so I thought we had a maturity level. They understood what you have to do.

duke blue brewcrew
09-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Al Featherston article:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209632197&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Coach Cutcliffe quote on the upcoming road trip:

I don’t know yet if it will carry over, I can tell you exactly what made us a good road team [in 2013]. I said it at the end of last season – that team had the best peer leadership I have ever been around. Your team is controlled more by your teammates on the road – being around a hotel, moving from meeting to meeting. It’s just a different atmosphere – the mentality on the plane, the mentality on the day of the game.

I thought our seniors last year was the best group I had been around, so I thought we had a maturity level. They understood what you have to do.

I love this quote, it screams Ross Cockrell!

OldPhiKap
09-03-2014, 04:32 PM
I love this quote, it screams Ross Cockrell!

Can Kelby and Deaver travel with the team, and if so are they? Sounds like they still have an important role to fill.

chrishoke
09-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Can Kelby and Deaver travel with the team, and if so are they? Sounds like they still have an important role to fill.

I know Kelby is.

devildeac
09-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Does Jim Sumner usually provide his injury report on Thursday or Friday before FB games? I am NOT calling Jim out, just wondering when we'll hear if we will be missing any other players for the Troy game besides those we know are already out for the season (Brown, Deaver and Shabazz) and those that will miss at least several games like Beilinson, Lloyd, etc. Thanks, as always, to Jim for the info/updates.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Does Jim Sumner usually provide his injury report on Thursday or Friday before FB games? I am NOT calling Jim out, just wondering when we'll hear if we will be missing any other players for the Troy game besides those we know are already out for the season (Brown, Deaver and Shabazz) and those that will miss at least several games like Beilinson, Lloyd, etc. Thanks, as always, to Jim for the info/updates.
Duke issues the injury report on Thursdays. Just read that C. J. France will miss Saturday's game.
http://www.newsobserver.com/welcome_page/?shf=/2014/09/04/4121155_duke-starting-linebacker-cj-france.html%3fsp=/99/103/

Bob Green
09-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Here is a game preview from Patrick Cacchio:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/09/game-preview-duke-troy/

A balanced attack from Anthony Boone and company should consistently find the end zone against a Troy defense that allowed 338 rushing yards to UAB and finished 115th against the pass in 2013.

I'm interested to see how much the team improves from Week 1 to Week 2.

richardjackson199
09-04-2014, 05:05 PM
I suspect this could be a much tougher game than an 18 point spread (on the road). This is a very important game to get our season off to a good start with some wins on the books. I'll be most interested to see how our defense performs. I think we'll learn lots more about our team's ceiling in this game. Go Duke! - I really want this to be the year we get a big bowl win.

Bob Green
09-04-2014, 06:23 PM

wilson
09-04-2014, 06:27 PM
4320Put me down for "yuck."

Bob Green
09-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Put me down for "yuck."

I've thought long and hard (too long, too hard) about the various uniform combinations and have firmly decided I like the uniform worn when Duke wins.

wilson
09-04-2014, 07:08 PM
I've thought long and hard (too long, too hard) about the various uniform combinations and have firmly decided I like the uniform worn when Duke wins.At the end of the day, we're on the same page, but black has never been and still is not one of our school colors.

Duvall
09-04-2014, 07:13 PM
At the end of the day, we're on the same page, but black has never been and still is not one of our school colors.

It's been nearly two decades. At this point, it is.

wilson
09-04-2014, 07:51 PM
It's been nearly two decades. At this point, it is.By this standard, black is a school color for about 90% of D1 programs, who have introduced black touches or alternate equipment due to the lamentable Oregonification of college uniforms. Just because we've jumped on that bandwagon doesn't make it a proper school color. Sorry, I'm not buying.

Newton_14
09-04-2014, 08:10 PM
By this standard, black is a school color for about 90% of D1 programs, who have introduced black touches or alternate equipment due to the lamentable Oregonification of college uniforms. Just because we've jumped on that bandwagon doesn't make it a proper school color. Sorry, I'm not buying.

OK Wilson, I like you a lot, and you are certainly not alone in the "I hate black, it's not our school color" camp, but I do think it is time people get past this. :D

Black is used as neutral/common color just like White is. Blue will always be the school color, and even though people lump in White as a "school color" the reality is that 99% of the schools use White as a neutral color. Black long ago joined White as a second neutral color for most schools. The kids love the black helmets, jersey's, pants, so fans should just roll with it. It's not like they are ugly. In person the black looks great. They have tweaked and improved the uniform color schemes for awhile now and the 3 color mix gives us lots of different and good looks. As long as we don't go the way of Maryland and have like 48 choices all of which suck, I am great!

My personal favorite is Blue Helmet, White Jersey, Blue Pants, with second being all blue, but I really like the Blue/Black/Blue look as well. When Cut first got here I thought our helmets and uni's were god-awful and plain. Now it is fun to get the update on each week on what the color scheme's will be.

I say stop the hate and roll with it. THe kids love it and like Bob Green stated, winning is the best color of all! We've come a long way and it's been a long time coming... embrace it... (Getting off your lawn now and ducking):o

wilson
09-04-2014, 08:26 PM
OK Wilson, I like you a lot, and you are certainly not alone in the "I hate black, it's not our school color" camp, but I do think it is time people get past this. :D

Black is used as neutral/common color just like White is. Blue will always be the school color, and even though people lump in White as a "school color" the reality is that 99% of the schools use White as a neutral color. Black long ago joined White as a second neutral color for most schools. The kids love the black helmets, jersey's, pants, so fans should just roll with it. It's not like they are ugly. In person the black looks great. They have tweaked and improved the uniform color schemes for awhile now and the 3 color mix gives us lots of different and good looks. As long as we don't go the way of Maryland and have like 48 choices all of which suck, I am great!

My personal favorite is Blue Helmet, White Jersey, Blue Pants, with second being all blue, but I really like the Blue/Black/Blue look as well. When Cut first got here I thought our helmets and uni's were god-awful and plain. Now it is fun to get the update on each week on what the color scheme's will be.

I say stop the hate and roll with it. THe kids love it and like Bob Green stated, winning is the best color of all! We've come a long way and it's been a long time coming... embrace it... (Getting off your lawn now and ducking):oWell said, Newt. I've obviously registered my curmudgeonly displeasure and I'll now lay it to rest.

loran16
09-04-2014, 08:42 PM

I say stop the hate and roll with it. THe kids love it and like Bob Green stated, winning is the best color of all! We've come a long way and it's been a long time coming... embrace it... (Getting off your lawn now and ducking):o

Blech, it's a fad - you'll note the bball team stopped wearing it last year after the throwback Nike uniforms were released and pro teams in some sports have started dropping it (thank god, Mets).

It doesn't help that the team's use of black is pretty awful - the black helmet with a blue D looks awful (white D might work) and then with a white and blue shirt looks like you're all over the place. You go black and white with some blue stripes it could work (still not our colors), but god we look like Maryland's poser unis.

devildeac
09-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Blech, it's a fad - you'll note the bball team stopped wearing it last year after the throwback Nike uniforms were released and pro teams in some sports have started dropping it (thank god, Mets).

It doesn't help that the team's use of black is pretty awful - the black helmet with a blue D looks awful (white D might work) and then with a white and blue shirt looks like you're all over the place. You go black and white with some blue stripes it could work (still not our colors), but god we look like Maryland's poser unis.

We look nowhere near as hideous as this group of sartorial disasters:

http://www.obsessedwithsports.com/2011/09/06/under-armour-takes-heat-for-maryland-uniforms/

(Scroll down-the unis are there. I need some Zofran now.)

jv001
09-05-2014, 08:13 AM

http://www.obsessedwithsports.com/2011/09/06/under-armour-takes-heat-for-maryland-uniforms/

"Just win baby", "just win". GoDuke!

Scorp4me
09-05-2014, 09:43 AM
I'm a pretty old school traditional kind of guy. But the black looks BA and the kids love it!

Henderson
09-05-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm a pretty old school traditional kind of guy. But the black looks BA and the kids love it!

Whatever makes the guys feel BA is good with me. It ain't about fashion, folks.

OldPhiKap
09-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Whatever makes the guys feel BA is good with me. It ain't about fashion, folks.

Au contraire mon frere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OKwRsnWO84

(Warning -- probably not suitable for work)

MCFinARL
09-05-2014, 02:20 PM

Admittedly, some of these unis are hideous--but I confess I rather liked the state flag helmets with the yellow and black on one side and the red and white on the other. And I like the matte black Duke helmets too--although I agree it's a bit hard to see the blue D on the black. Leaving aside what I like though, if other commenters are right that the players like them, then that is enough for me.

budwom
09-05-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to wear white after Labor Day...

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-05-2014, 04:16 PM
The team is now is Alabama.... landed a few minutes ago.

devildeac
09-05-2014, 07:06 PM

This black helmet might be pretty awesome/intimidating, especially if it had a big Iron Duke decal on it:

Reilly
09-06-2014, 06:44 AM
Gameday Saturday.

OldPhiKap
09-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Let's Go DUKE!

Henderson
09-06-2014, 11:04 AM
This black helmet might be pretty awesome/intimidating, especially if it had a big Iron Duke decal on it:

That might depend on the team underneath the helmets.

"It's all moichendising."

OldPhiKap
09-06-2014, 11:08 AM

Bob Green
09-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Just checked the weather forecast for Saturday night in Troy -- high of 92 degrees with a 50 percent chance of rain (thundershowers)

Hoping we don't have one of the games that's delayed or cancelled ...

FAU at Alabama is currently in a rain delay. Tonight's forecast still calls for thunderstorms:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/troy-al/36081/weather-forecast/331652

ricks68
09-06-2014, 03:31 PM

Absolutely hideous uniforms, and now my favorite emoticon added as a bonus. Thanks DD.

ricks

ricks68
09-06-2014, 03:39 PM

A guy had one of these on at the topless rally here in Asheville last week. Not unexpected for Asheville. Neither was the rally.:)

ricks

killerleft
09-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Let's Go Duke! Could be a toughie.

duke09hms
09-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Troy running at will. Looks like our D is still weak.

grossbus
09-06-2014, 07:19 PM
We look totally unready on both sides of the ball.

grossbus
09-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Three false starts and a defensive offsides.

Snead can't seem to stay on his feet.

duke09hms
09-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Is it just me or does our defense look worse than last year.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Yeesh. This is awful. Does not look like the new Duke.

grossbus
09-06-2014, 07:37 PM
They are looking bad right now.

duke09hms
09-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Getting pushed around in the D-Line, we're not looking like the power conference team.

anonj
09-06-2014, 07:45 PM
This defense is horrible out the gate. I guess we're hoping we win 51-48 every game when we play ACC opponents…

Come on guys!!!

grossbus
09-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Our DL is getting handled.

loran16
09-06-2014, 07:46 PM
This is the point where i say "I told you so" regarding our D line i think :-(.

No reason to think this gets better, either, guys.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Well that was a disappointing first quarter. Were we planning for a rainout or what?

grossbus
09-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Couple of good receptions on 3rd down and a great read by Boone for the keeper.

grossbus
09-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Sirk with a tebow jump pass. What a great call.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Credit to my son for his double crossed fingers the last 10 minutes. I'm making him stay up to watch more. :cool:

grossbus
09-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Blakeney is looking good!

Nice turnaround!

duke09hms
09-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Boone to Blakeney TD!!

Blakeney got new hands this summer!! For the longest time he couldn't take advantage of his size/speed/athleticism bc of his hands, but now a couple HUGE catches.

grossbus
09-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Our DB's can't seem to cover deep!

duke09hms
09-06-2014, 08:26 PM
DEVON EDWARDS to force the 4th down fumble! Saved us 3+ pts. Let's see how our 2 min. offense works!

PDDuke85
09-06-2014, 08:29 PM
OK, offense clicking, defense shaky, ESPN3 feed sucks. Cancel the Xanax for now. Go Duke

Atldukie79
09-06-2014, 08:33 PM
We are one and a half games into the season with no turnovers for or against Duke. Kinda strange.

DU82
09-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Absolutely hideous uniforms, and now my favorite emoticon added as a bonus. Thanks DD.

ricks

Take a look at the State-ODU game for another bad looking black outfit. (adidas strikes instead of UA.)

One minute left in the third quarter and State's finally gone up, 32-28.

grossbus
09-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Espn3 keeps dropping out on me. Annoying.

duke09hms
09-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Do we have a new kicker? Name doesn't sound familiar, Jack Willaby?

duke09hms
09-06-2014, 08:57 PM
JDO saves the D with 2 big sacks on 2nd and 3rd!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Jack Willoughby is the back up kicker.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-06-2014, 09:07 PM
What's with the conservative play calling? More vertical, less horizontal, please!

grossbus
09-06-2014, 09:21 PM
I agree with that.

duke09hms
09-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Joseph Ajeigbe looks a revelation in running back. Decisive, explosive, and can make guys miss.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Joseph Ajeigbe looks a revelation in running back. Decisive, explosive, and can make guys miss.

He and Shaun Wilson have some great moves along with great speed.

ikiru36
09-06-2014, 10:08 PM
This is the point where i say "I told you so" regarding our D line i think :-(.

No reason to think this gets better, either, guys.

Hmmm. And yet, against all reason (given the overwhelming sample size of 2 defensive possessions in our first road game of the season) it got better. Not great, but a great improvement with nice adjustments. I'm proud of how we responded. Go Devils!!!!!!

killerleft
09-06-2014, 10:16 PM
After so many years of watching US wear down at the ends of games, I love seeing it happen to our opponents from time to time. Just another little sign of progress.