PDA

View Full Version : 2014-15 Schedule Released

Tripping William
08-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Did not see this posted (but mods feel free to merge as needed). The schedule is out, and can be seen here:

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/2767992.pdf?ATCLID=209622168&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

That two-week stretch between Jan. 17th and Jan. 31st looks tough!

tbyers11
08-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Did not see this posted (but mods feel free to merge as needed). The schedule is out, and can be seen here:

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/2767992.pdf?ATCLID=209622168&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

That two-week stretch between Jan. 17th and Jan. 31st looks tough!

Thanks for the link. Quick thoughts:

The first UNC game is on Feb 18th. Holy unbalanced schedule Batman!
That 4 road games out of 5 with UL, St John's, ND and UVa as the road games (Pitt as the home game) is dastardly
Only one Sunday ACC game (St John's is Sunday too)

Dev11
08-27-2014, 04:47 PM
Flip side: only one single-day break between games.

Kedsy
08-28-2014, 08:37 AM
From a schedule strength standpoint, the non-con schedule looks fairly weak, at least at first blush.

flyingdutchdevil
08-28-2014, 10:26 AM
:(

Guess I'll have to go to the UCONN game to get my yearly fix.

Are the Meadowlands nice? Or did I just make everyone laugh with that comment?

Kedsy
08-28-2014, 10:54 AM

One of the worst parking arrangements on the East Coast. Plan accordingly.

DK

pfrduke
08-28-2014, 11:07 AM

The stadium also stinks. I think you'd be better off trying to catch the pre-season tournament in Brooklyn - the Barclays Center is a vast improvement over the Meadowlands in terms of game experience.

Billy Dat
08-28-2014, 11:10 AM

Kedsy is correct about the parking, it is a disaster for the most part. It's hard to control which lot you get to park in and many of the lots require long walks, often via strange tunnel overpasses.

The Meadlowlands is a classic 70s paved wasteland with a few arenas emerging monolith style from a sea of concrete. It doesn't help that the aesthetics of the surrounding areas are uninspiring. When people call New Jersey ugly, it is basically because of the 10-15 mile stretch of I95/New Jersey turnpike that includes the Meadowlands, Newark Airport, Newark itself, a bunch of shipyards and a bunch of power plants. The rest of the state is quite lovely (save for Camden and some other spots).

The arena itself also lacks personality and any sense of history. The positives are that it is very easy to navigate once you are inside as there is one promenade from which you access the upper seats and the lower seats. The sight lines are good but once you get past the middle of the arena on your way up, it gets hard to see the court as the pitch is pretty gradual, especially compared to more modern designs like the Indiana Pacers Fieldhouse. I recommend you get as close as you can.

flyingdutchdevil
08-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks to Kedsy, pfrduke, and Billy Dat for the advice. Tournament actually sounds like a great idea. I'll definitely look into it.

BD80
08-28-2014, 11:44 AM
... When people call New Jersey ugly, it is basically because of the 10-15 mile stretch of I95/New Jersey turnpike ... The rest of the state is quite lovely ... .

Save for the accent ...

and the cast of Jersey Shore ...

and Rutgers' AD ...

and Mike O'Koren ...

arnie
08-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Save for the accent ...

and Rutgers' AD ...

and Mike O'Koren ...

and Atlantic City

Duvall
08-28-2014, 11:55 AM
The stadium also stinks. I think you'd be better off trying to catch the pre-season tournament in Brooklyn - the Barclays Center is a vast improvement over the Meadowlands in terms of game experience.

Or take Amtrak to Penn Station for the St. John's game at MSG.

Olympic Fan
08-28-2014, 12:36 PM
I think the most notable feature of this year's schedule is the terrible home schedule.

Overall, it's pretty good with Michigan State, at Wisconsin, UConn, at St. John's and the two games in Barclays (Temple and either Stanford or UNLV) -- but none of those games are in Cameron. At home, we play:

Presbyterian
Fairfield
Furman
Army
Elon
Toledo
Wofford

That's it OOC. Not a single marquee opponent will come to Durham. Where's Davidson -- they would be an upgrade.

We also play nine conference games at home and some of them --UNC, Syracuse especially -- are decent. But we don't get to see Louisville or Virginia, two of four preseason ACC contenders (with us and UNC).

It's not a bad schedule overall ... but it is a terrible home schedule -- just about the worst it's possible to imagine.

Duvall
08-28-2014, 02:47 PM
From a schedule strength standpoint, the non-con schedule looks fairly weak, at least at first blush.

Perhaps, but that's mostly due to a disappointing early season tournament draw, which is mostly out of Duke's control.

subzero02
08-28-2014, 04:25 PM
I think the most notable feature of this year's schedule is the terrible home schedule.

Overall, it's pretty good with Michigan State, at Wisconsin, UConn, at St. John's and the two games in Barclays (Temple and either Stanford or UNLV) -- but none of those games are in Cameron. At home, we play:

Presbyterian
Fairfield
Furman
Army
Elon
Toledo
Wofford

That's it OOC. Not a single marquee opponent will come to Durham. Where's Davidson -- they would be an upgrade.

We also play nine conference games at home and some of them --UNC, Syracuse especially -- are decent. But we don't get to see Louisville or Virginia, two of four preseason ACC contenders (with us and UNC).

It's not a bad schedule overall ... but it is a terrible home schedule -- just about the worst it's possible to imagine.

Our non-conference home win streak is obviously being protected by the powers that be... On a serious note, some of these games should present chances for our talented bench to get extensive minutes in front of the Cameron crowd. Maybe this will help keep everyone happy.

Dev11
08-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Our non-conference home win streak is obviously being protected by the powers that be... On a serious note, some of these games should present chances for our talented bench to get extensive minutes in front of the Cameron crowd. Maybe this will help keep everyone happy.

Coach K/Dr White know they have to keep the DBR masses at bay.

Reilly
08-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Save for the accent ...

and Rutgers' AD ...

and Mike O'Koren ...

and Atlantic City

and big hair ...

and Camden (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/07/nyregion/07camden.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0) ...

ricks68
08-28-2014, 07:40 PM

Presbyterian
Fairfield
Furman
Army
Elon
Toledo
Wofford

Reads like a Texas out of conference football schedule.

ricks

lotusland
08-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Save for the accent ...

and Rutgers' AD ...

and Mike O'Koren ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k-PYHvfK-o

"I'm from New Jersey
It's not like Texas
There is no mystery
I can't pretend.
I'm from New Jersey
It's like Ohio
But even more so
Imagine that"

BD80
08-29-2014, 03:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k-PYHvfK-o

"... I'm from New Jersey
It's like Ohio
But even more so
Imagine that"

If we could just raise the level of Lake Erie by a few feet, that would substantially obliterate the "mistake by the lake" that lies between Pennsylvania and Michigan.

Bay Area Duke Fan
08-29-2014, 09:16 PM
If we could just raise the level of Lake Erie by a few feet, that would substantially obliterate the "mistake by the lake" that lies between Pennsylvania and Michigan.

The "Mistake on the Lake" is making a comeback ... http://online.wsj.com/articles/just-in-time-for-lebron-downtown-cleveland-stages-a-comeback-1409242880?KEYWORDS=Cleveland

DU82
08-29-2014, 10:00 PM
Save for the accent ...

and Rutgers' AD ...

and Mike O'Koren ...

Who, BTW, is a new assistant bball coach for Rutgers. (Although I don't actually share your opinion of the AD.)