PDA

View Full Version : Steak Dinner?

Wheat/"/"/"
08-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Yo...
I must be getting old, but I remember I lost a steak dinner bet on something last season to someone that I plan to pay off when I go to Charlotte the first week of October.
I'm thinking maybe it was Troublemaker, but I'm not sure?

Native
08-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Yo...
I must be getting old, but I remember I lost a steak dinner bet on something last season to someone that I plan to pay off when I go to Charlotte the first week of October.

It was definitely me.

Definitely.

P.S. I enjoy my filet mignon cooked medium-well, please. :p

MartyClark
08-26-2014, 08:44 PM
It was definitely me.

Definitely.

Shoot, I'd pay just to have dinner with the two of you. It would be an interesting conversation.

pfrduke
08-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Wheat, you scalawag. Let's make a bet on this game. And can the bet please not be a fishing trip?

Let's do dinner in Durham. Deal?

I'll be in Charlotte sometime in September for a tournament on Lake Norman. If you can make it there, you're on.

Yo...

Indeed - it was the Duke-UNC game in Cameron.

Wheat/"/"/"
08-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Indeed - it was the Duke-UNC game in Cameron.

Thanks, I thought it was Troublemaker who made that bet.

As far as I'm concerned anybody that wants to join us is welcome when we set it all up, although I'm only on the hook for one steak :) I might be talked into a round of drinks...

weezie
08-26-2014, 09:31 PM
No it was me and Devildeac,Ozzie4Duke, h43, blazin, oh heck just all of us. We deserve it! :)

Wheat/"/"/"
08-26-2014, 09:33 PM
No it was me and Devildeac,Ozzie4Duke, h43, blazin, oh heck just all of us. We deserve it! :)

Come join us and we'll just all chip in and order a cow :)

I'm actually going to be near Lake Norman in Cornelious, so looking around this place looks like it might do...anybody know anything about it?

http://www.131-main.com/images/pdfs/DinnerMenu.pdf

wilson
08-26-2014, 10:10 PM
filet mignon cooked medium-well, please. :pFor shame.

weezie
08-26-2014, 10:32 PM

I thought you lost the bet. I'll just bring my sparkling, attractive personality and good looks. :cool:

devildeac
08-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Thanks, I thought it was Troublemaker who made that bet.

As far as I'm concerned anybody that wants to join us is welcome when we set it all up, although I'm only on the hook for one steak :) I might be talked into a round of drinks...

I'll be by for cocktails if Wheat is buying, but, then again, he's already bought me a diet Mt. Dew a few years back. I think he went all in and paid for the extra large size;).

JasonEvans
08-26-2014, 10:51 PM
Wheat is always good to pay on his bets... but be careful how he pays them.

Years ago, I want to say it was 1998 or 1999, he and I made a DBR bulletin board bet. I think Duke had to sweep UNC or something like that. The bet was a Georgia Peach Pie if I lost or a Florida Key Lime pie if Wheat lost. Well, Wheat lost the bet and I soon got a care package of a pie packed in dry ice. Ahhh, but Wheat had gotten in one lat jab -- the whipped cream on top of the pie had been dyed with food coloring. I was forced to eat a pie that was colored Carolina Blue.

So, be careful that he does not slip some of this to the chef to mix in with your steak...
http://www.lagunawholesale.com/custom-images/martellato/lcp003.jpg

-Jason "for the record, the pie was delicious" Evans

quahog174
08-26-2014, 10:52 PM

I'm actually going to be near Lake Norman in Cornelious, so looking around this place looks like it might do...anybody know anything about it?

http://www.131-main.com/images/pdfs/DinnerMenu.pdf

Fine choice. Go with the cornbread, ribs, and key lime pie.

Wheat/"/"/"
08-26-2014, 11:05 PM
I thought you lost the bet. I'll just bring my sparkling, attractive personality and good looks. :cool:

Ok, bring it Weezie... But that's it. Two steaks is all I can afford. I'm not some privileged Dukie with lots of money, ya know:)

Jason, you know that shipping, packing and dry ice cost me about three times as much as that pie, right?

Furniture
08-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Wheat is a Lannister

OldPhiKap
08-27-2014, 07:02 AM
I think Wheat owes me a beer at the Hungry Tarpon in Islamorada. Don't remember the reason but will find one before I get there . . . .

flyingdutchdevil
08-27-2014, 08:23 AM

Anything above medium-rare should be illegal. I think that's something the House and Senate could probably agree on.

OldPhiKap
08-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Anything above medium-rare should be illegal. I think that's something the House and Senate could probably agree on.

The Subcommittee on Condiments would never let the matter come to a vote. Some lackey would torpedo the bill unless they mandated that ketchup be served with it as well -- and then there's really no point.

Damn you, ketchup lobby!!!!

But yeah, I'd vote for that law.

JasonEvans
08-27-2014, 09:01 AM

I could not agree more! I typically tell a good steak place to "show the meat the fire, introduce them to each other, but don't let them become friends." Pink in the middle is about the most I can stand... and if it is more red than pink, that's most definitely a good thing!

-Jason "people who order expensive steaks, get them cooked well, and then put salt on the meat the moment it arrives at the table should be served horsemeat... they would not know the difference" Evans

PSurprise
08-27-2014, 09:26 AM
It's funny, when I was young, I could never eat anything rare. My parents (my dad really) would put the steak on the grill for about 90 seconds and then yell at me and my brother to "Come and get it". Well, needless to say it was usually still mooing when he slapped it on our plate. It looked like a cowpocalypse, so we would inevitably have to nuke it for a minute or so. Every time. But as I've gotten older, I've appreciated a little rarer meat. I think I was just so adverse to how we had steak at home. But there still is a point where I don't like my steak to be bleeding. Pink throughout is good. If anyone doesn't like it, I don't care. I like it that way.:)

CameronBlue
08-27-2014, 09:46 AM
This thread reminds me that I have to go down into the wine cellar and turn the ketchup bottles.

lotusland
08-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Since Wheat is buying I'll take it however it comes but if it's medium rare that'd be just great. Since I'm coming all the way to Charlotte shouldn't we see a show too. Looks like our options are Chris Thile at the Knight Theater, Rachael Yamagato at the Visualite or, if you must, Darius Rucker at the Uptown Amphitheater. I prefer good seats so please reserve tickets early - thanks!

flyingdutchdevil
08-27-2014, 11:21 AM
I could not agree more! I typically tell a good steak place to "show the meat the fire, introduce them to each other, but don't let them become friends." Pink in the middle is about the most I can stand... and if it is more red than pink, that's most definitely a good thing!

-Jason "people who order expensive steaks, get them cooked well, and then put salt on the meat the moment it arrives at the table should be served horsemeat... they would not know the difference" Evans

Damn, Jason. We have the exact same philosophy on meat. If I see anything that resembles grey/light brown in the middle, I get a non-red meat induced heart attack (technically, steak-induced. Visually, steak-induced).

Having lived in Europe for a significant portion of my life (where the meat is prepared well but the quality of the meat is about as good as horse meat), I absolutely love the US. And the US has gotten sooooooooooo much better at cooking the meat in the last decade. I can now enjoy a delicious steak rare without having to concern myself with overpaying.

Native
08-27-2014, 11:50 AM

JasonEvans
08-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Not sure where it comes from, but I found this chart. I agree that "blue rare" is a tad too rare. Gotta get hot enough inside for the juices (fat) to flow a little bit.

http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/images/cook-a-steak-blue-rare-medium-welldone.jpg

-Jason "the medium rare shown there is too done for my taste" Evans

killerleft
08-27-2014, 01:56 PM
I like my steak medium, and I don't want any Steak Nazis telling me how I should prepare my legal-bought beef! Next thing you know, somebody's gonna say something bad about Chelsea, Mom, apple pie, and Jose Mourinho and his buddy Didier Drogba, who single-handedly stopped a war!:p

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Not sure where it comes from, but I found this chart. I agree that "blue rare" is a tad too rare. Gotta get hot enough inside for the juices (fat) to flow a little bit.

http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/images/cook-a-steak-blue-rare-medium-welldone.jpg

-Jason "the medium rare shown there is too done for my taste" Evans

I'm not afraid of "blue rare" if it's a spectacular cut of meat.

I usually tell the server to just walk the cow through a warm room.

BlueTeuf
08-27-2014, 07:51 PM
I once had a dinner with a gentleman who instructed the waiter, "Just pull its horns, wipe its a_s, and put it on the plate."

OldPhiKap
08-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Pittsburgh rate for me, please.

And filet mignon is fine and all, but a nice thick ribeye is a hell of a lot better. Best cut, bar none.

flyingdutchdevil
08-28-2014, 09:02 AM

And filet mignon is fine and all, but a nice thick ribeye is a hell of a lot better. Best cut, bar none.

OldPhiKap, we often see eye to eye on nearly everything. But you are way off base here. Rib eye? Sure, it's good, for a Sunday brunch!

But if you want that delicious cut of beef that's flavorful, doesn't need any of these fancy sauces, and pairs well with a rich Bordeaux and any sides (if even needed), gotta go with the short loin. NY Strips all the way!

sagegrouse
08-28-2014, 09:16 AM

OldPhiKap, we often see eye to eye on nearly everything. But you are way off base here. Rib eye? Sure, it's good, for a Sunday brunch!

But if you want that delicious cut of beef that's flavorful, doesn't need any of these fancy sauces, and pairs well with a rich Bordeaux and any sides (if even needed), gotta go with the short loin. NY Strips all the way!

Just to shake up the grill, I prefer flap meat, which makes a perfect carne asada, with only salt and garlic paste. It reinvents beef. And as sides, you will want pico de gallo, pinto or black beans, and rice. Corn tortillas seem to go best. Negra Modelo is pretty good to wash things down.

Dev11
08-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Since Wheat is buying I'll take it however it comes but if it's medium rare that'd be just great. Since I'm coming all the way to Charlotte shouldn't we see a show too. Looks like our options are Chris Thile at the Knight Theater, Rachael Yamagato at the Visualite or, if you must, Darius Rucker at the Uptown Amphitheater. I prefer good seats so please reserve tickets early - thanks!

If you have an opportunity to see Chris Thile, you see Chris Thile. Darius Rucker is to Chris Thile as raw horse meat is to that medium rare ribeye (tying back to the thread theme, you know).

flyingdutchdevil
08-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Just to shake up the grill, I prefer flap meat, which makes a perfect carne asada, with only salt and garlic paste. It reinvents beef. And as sides, you will want pico de gallo, pinto or black beans, and rice. Corn tortillas seem to go best. Negra Modelo is pretty good to wash things down.

When I'm feeling like traditional Mexican, this is a beautiful meal. I actually prefer flour tortillas with my carne asada - provides a little more bite. I would also add guacamole with the sides. Adds a little bit of a creamy texture to the dish (without ruining it by putting in sour cream).

With the flap meat, you really need to put it on the grill for 1 minute per side on super high heat. Get that delicious char without over cooking that delicious meat.

My God, is it dinner yet? Damn you tasty food!

Wheat/"/"/"
08-28-2014, 10:44 AM
When Troublemaker surfaces I'll make the reservation...I'm starting to get hungry too.

Ps...I'm about to go offshore for a couple of days for some yellowtail snapper and black fin tuna that we usually ice down immediately and then hunt down the wasabi and a sharp knife...can't eat red meet all the time, ya know?

yancem
08-28-2014, 11:03 AM
When Troublemaker surfaces I'll make the reservation...I'm starting to get hungry too.

Ps...I'm about to go offshore for a couple of days for some yellowtail snapper and black fin tuna that we usually ice down immediately and then hunt down the wasabi and a sharp knife...can't eat red meet all the time, ya know?

Now tuna, that is where the "blue rare" comes in quite handy. I just want to sear a few sear lines on the outside, about 5-10 seconds should do the trick.

flyingdutchdevil
08-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Wheat - good to have you back. You've been gone to long, just like academics for UNC athletes (couldn't resist).

lotusland
08-28-2014, 12:53 PM
If you have an opportunity to see Chris Thile, you see Chris Thile. Darius Rucker is to Chris Thile as raw horse meat is to that medium rare ribeye (tying back to the thread theme, you know).

Yes I agree completely. Since Wheat is taking me out for dinner and a show I wanted to phrase it in such a way as to create the illusion that he was the Decider when, in fact, the decision was already made. This is how my wife handles things so I thought I would take a lesson for my night out on the town with Wheat:D

mattman91
08-28-2014, 12:55 PM

Calling Devildeac, do you have a better beer pairing suggestion for this? I'd have to go with a Highland Gaelic Ale, or three ;)

sue71, esq
08-28-2014, 01:12 PM
If anyone is heading out west to LA or LV, give me a heads up. Would love to join you for a steak. Just no comments on how I like mine done. :rolleyes:

devildeac
08-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Calling Devildeac, do you have a better beer pairing suggestion for this? I'd have to go with a Highland Gaelic Ale, or three ;)

A Shelter Pale Ale would be nice. A Brooklyn or Lost Coast Downtown Brown Ale would be fine, too.

PSurprise
08-28-2014, 02:15 PM

Wheat/"/"/"
09-02-2014, 03:28 PM
I just got a note from Troublemaker that unfortunately he's moved out of state and can't make it to Charlotte for our dinner bet.

If anybody wants to meet up for dinner and drinks while I'm in Cornelious (outside of Charlotte) let me know.

The only dates I can make it would be Sunday evening, Sept. 28th, or Monday the 29th....

royalblue
09-02-2014, 04:44 PM
If you need a devil replacement I'm in antiheel@yahoo.com just let me know where to go

devildeac
09-02-2014, 05:16 PM
I just got a note from Troublemaker that unfortunately he's moved out of state and can't make it to Charlotte for our dinner bet.

If anybody wants to meet up for dinner and drinks while I'm in Cornelious (outside of Charlotte) let me know.

The only dates I can make it would be Sunday evening, Sept. 28th, or Monday the 29th....

I'll volunteer.........

.......davekay1971 to take his place. He lives in the Charlotte area. He's a cardiologist. He likes steak (I think). He loves craft beers/drinks and I'd bet he'd love to meet you and give you as much of a hard time as I would if we ever crossed paths again at Rex Hospital;).

Troublemaker
09-02-2014, 08:38 PM
I'll volunteer.........

.......davekay1971 to take his place. He lives in the Charlotte area. He's a cardiologist. He likes steak (I think). He loves craft beers/drinks and I'd bet he'd love to meet you and give you as much of a hard time as I would if we ever crossed paths again at Rex Hospital;).

I think Dave would make a fine replacement!

Wheat/"/"/"
09-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Ok, here's the deal...

I'll make reservations here https://www.131-main.com/locations/lake-Norman for 7pm Sunday Sept. 28th under DBR party. Let me know in this thread who can make it so we know how big the party will be.

Be aware, I don't drink much, but when I do, I prefer to speak with a Latin American accent....

mattman91
09-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Ok, here's the deal...

I'll make reservations here https://www.131-main.com/locations/lake-Norman for 7pm Sunday Sept. 28th under DBR party. Let me know in this thread who can make it so we know how big the party will be.

Be aware, I don't drink much, but when I do, I prefer to speak with a Latin American accent....

If you ever make this offer in Asheville. ..im in.

Furniture
09-03-2014, 11:23 PM
If you ever make this offer in Asheville. ..im in.

Anywhere in the Triad and I am in....