PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 8-26-14

jimsumner
08-26-2014, 02:13 PM
That time of year again.

Much discussion of the injuries to Kelby Brown and Braxton Deaver.

I've never the phrase "next man up" so often in such a short period of time.

So, who's the next man up?

Tight end. David Reeves takes over as starter. He's been a starter before. Erich Scheider played sparingly two years ago as a 6-7, 220-pound true freshman and redshirted last season. He's up to 240 now and Cut says he could be a difference maker.

After that? Isaac Blakeney played some TE two years ago. But Cut says he'll stay at WR this year. He's has the best fall of his Duke career and Duke wants him to get all of his practice reps at WR. Duke would like to redshirt true freshman Davis Koppenhaver. Dan Beilinson is out indefinitely, perhaps the season.

Duke has moved WR Quay Chamber to TE. Chambers is listed as 6-3, 205, so I think it's safe to say he's not being moved for his blocking abilities.

Cut says he's amenable to using a tackle at TE in short-yardage situations.

LB? David Helton has moved over to middle linebacker and fifth-year senior C.J. France has taken over Helton's spot. I expect redshirt freshman Chris Holmes to challenge for that spot before long. Holmes, a converted safety, has great speed for an LB but is a bit undersized, at 215.

True freshman LB Zavier Carmichael has turned some heads this fall but it's not clear if he will play Saturday. Cut says he doesn't want to play a true freshman unless they're going to be in the rotation.

Three freshmen who definitely will play are corners Alonzo Saxton and Zach Muniz and running back Shaun Wilson. Saxton and Muniz are listed as second-team, while Wilson has, by all accounts, been exceptional. Very explosive.

A bit surprisingly, Cut indicated that WR's Trevon Lee and Chris Taylor will not play versus Elon. Duke is deep at WR but Lee in particular came to Duke with sterling credentials.

Casey Blaser will start at RT, with Tanner Stone as back-up.

Guys you might not have heard of but who might make a difference this season? DT Mike Ramsey, S Philip Carter, DB Everett Edwards and DE Britton Grier, all of whom redshirted last season.

DT Carlos Wray is up to 300 pounds and is stuffing people at the line.

Thomas Sirk is the second-team QB and will be the short-yardage QB. Cut says he might be the fastest QB he's ever coached. Parker Boehme is third team.

Jela Duncan is rooming with Josh Snead, working at GNC and eagerly awaiting his return in January. He does not have access to Duke facilities but is working out on his own.

Buffalo cut Thad Lewis today.

Duvall
08-26-2014, 03:49 PM
Thomas Sirk is the second-team QB and will be the short-yardage QB. Cut says he might be the fastest QB he's ever coached.

This is more exciting if you don't think about the QBs Cutcliffe has coached.

Bob Green
08-26-2014, 03:53 PM
That time of year again.

Thanks for the detailed post! I'm looking forward to you posting the Injury Report on Thursday. Hopefully, a very short report!

Bob Green
08-26-2014, 03:56 PM
This is more exciting if you don't think about the QBs Cutcliffe has coached.

That is one way to look at it. Another way is to acknowledge Thomas Sirk is bigger and faster than Brandon Connette. I'm a cup half full guy myself.

ChillinDuke
08-26-2014, 04:19 PM
That time of year again.

...Nothing but great stuff...

Ahh, the end of summer: a cool breeze is kicking up, the leaves are just starting to turn, and Jim Sumner is posting bi-weekly about football.

Some things are just familiar and comforting.

Thanks, Jim!

- Chillin

Dev11
08-26-2014, 04:28 PM
DT Carlos Wray is up to 300 pounds and is stuffing people at the line.

Thomas Sirk is the second-team QB and will be the short-yardage QB. Cut says he might be the fastest QB he's ever coached. Parker Boehme is third team.

Jela Duncan is rooming with Josh Snead, working at GNC and eagerly awaiting his return in January. He does not have access to Duke facilities but is working out on his own.

All the most interesting stuff was at the end, I think. Good info all around though, so thank you Jim.

Defensive line hasn't been a strength during the Cutcliffe regime. Perhaps Wray is that first breakout player.

I'm curious how much Cut wants to use the 2 QB format this year. I feel like it worked sparingly with Renfree/Boone, then much better with Boone/Connette. Can Sirk play that limited role well? There are few examples of a 2 QB system working well, but if anybody knows juggling QB, it's our guy.

I like that Duncan is staying with guys on the team. It hopefully means he's serious about returning to the program with his issues sorted out, and soon. He's a good player.

The depth chart they put out today only listed two guys at each position, but given last year, I'm expecting 3-4 running backs getting carries. It was a key to our fourth quarter success last year, spreading the workload for the guys in the toughest positions, so they stayed healthy late in games and in the season.