PDA

View Full Version : Chai Baker -- Heart Event -- Defibrillators

Henderson
08-26-2014, 01:36 PM
As many may already know, Oregon State freshman Chai Baker suffered a "cardiac event" about a week ago while engaging in drills. He collapsed. People on the scene administered CPR and used the on-site defibrillator until the paramedics got there, which was prompt. He was in the ICU in Corvallis listed in critical but stable condition. He's now improving and out of immediate danger. It's a shame, and it's hard not to think of Hank Gathers.

In 2010, the State of Oregon passed legislation requiring defibrillators in all public gathering spaces (sports arenas, class room buildings, theaters, etc.). I don't know if that made a difference here, but it's great that he survived and is on his way to full recovery.

Reisen
08-26-2014, 02:08 PM
I think everyone should know how to use an AED. Both Mrs. Reisen and have CPR certifications as part of our jobs, and refreshers have included AED training. But the AED part is extremely easy. There are graphical, written, and spoken instructions that come with most kits (ie. the AED tells you what to do). Here's a link for an online summary:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/aed/howtouse.html

It's also important to know where the AEDs are at your workplace. In my 52 story building, they are in the stairwells.