PDA

View Full Version : 2001 National Championship Ring on Ebay, $10,500

Danke Shane
08-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Just saw this on ebay: $10,500 for a player's ring from the 2001 Basketball National Championship...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-DUKE-BLUE-DEVILS-BASKETBALL-NATIONAL-CHAMPIONSHIP-RING-PLAYER-/221523408612?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item3393d2f6e4

Dev11
08-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Just saw this on ebay: $10,500 for a player's ring from the 2001 Basketball National Championship...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-DUKE-BLUE-DEVILS-BASKETBALL-NATIONAL-CHAMPIONSHIP-RING-PLAYER-/221523408612?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item3393d2f6e4

Battier running low on Bud Light?

Duvall
08-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Battier running low on Bud Light?

He does have more championship rings than hands.

tux
08-25-2014, 04:27 PM
given the "free shipping".

Chicken Little
08-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Any thoughts as to which former player hocked this? Given what little can be seen of the covered up areas, I'm guessing Andre Buckner. On the side profile image, the top of the section that would have the number looks to be one short number '1' followed by a number with a flat top '5'. The spacing of the letters in the name appear to be about right for 'Buckner'.

I know this borders on cinder block territory, but we've got to pass the time until football starts this weekend, right?

PSurprise
08-25-2014, 04:47 PM
given the "free shipping".

And, it is the "Bling, Bling"

superdave
08-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Any thoughts as to which former player hocked this? Given what little can be seen of the covered up areas, I'm guessing Andre Buckner. On the side profile image, the top of the section that would have the number looks to be one short number '1' followed by a number with a flat top '5'. The spacing of the letters in the name appear to be about right for 'Buckner'.

I know this borders on cinder block territory, but we've got to pass the time until football starts this weekend, right?

I would bet one of the student-managers.

dball
08-25-2014, 07:51 PM
I would bet one of the student-managers.

Item described as a player's ring. Did Andre Sweet get a ring? If he did, that would be my bet.

wilko
08-25-2014, 08:16 PM
I hate that the owner feels that this is their best move. I'm sure the decision didn't come easily. Life has a habit of getting in the way of our plans. Best of luck and I hope the buyer pays up.

JPtheGame
08-25-2014, 09:27 PM
up until about a year ago, Andre was working at 24hr fitness here in southlake, tx. He wasnt a 24hr employee but rather he taught basketball camps and mentioned several times that he was set up via partnership with Jay Williams on the 24hr fitness side and Buckner's "higher goals" basketball training company. No idea if this is his ring, but i talked to Andre several times with my primary goal being to get him to go to an smu game with me and take a pic with then coach Matt Doherty. Doherty moved on and it seems as if Andre has as well.

subzero02
08-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Item described as a player's ring. Did Andre Sweet get a ring? If he did, that would be my bet.

I saw him on campus during the Spring of 01. He was on academic suspension if I recall correctly; this meant he was suspended from play as well. I don't know if he was still able to practice with the team; if I had to guess I'd say no. I do know that being ineligible to play as a first year transfer prevented Seth Curry from receiving a 2010 championship ring, even though he was able to practice with the team.

dball
08-25-2014, 10:13 PM
I saw him on campus during the Spring of 01. He was on academic suspension if I recall correctly; this meant he was suspended from play as well. I don't know if he was still able to practice with the team; if I had to guess I'd say no. I do know that being ineligible to play as a first year transfer prevented Seth Curry from receiving a 2010 championship ring, even though he was able to practice with the team.

not sure that's really an appropriate analogy.Andre was on the team in the fall. Transfers are unavailable for the entire year.

Seth did practice with the team. Question really was if a team member part of the year got a ring.

Practicing with the team is really not relevant.

subzero02
08-25-2014, 11:43 PM
not sure that's really an appropriate analogy.Andre was on the team in the fall. Transfers are unavailable for the entire year.

Seth did practice with the team. Question really was if a team member part of the year got a ring.

When you're talking about the reasoning behind NCAA regulations, logic and relevance have no place in the conversation. I know the vital role Seth played in practice was K's primary argument when he lamented the NCAA's regulations. Are all forms of ineligibility equally restricted by the NCAA... For only $10,500 we might get a partial answer and a shiny new ring to boot.

sagegrouse
08-26-2014, 12:30 AM
The solution to identifying the ring is simple. Some kind DBR participant should buy it, identify the original source of the ring, and then donate it as a charitable item for an auction or, well, a lottery.

OldPhiKap
08-26-2014, 07:35 AM
The solution to identifying the ring is simple. Some kind DBR participant should buy it, identify the original source of the ring, and then donate it as a charitable item for an auction or, well, a lottery.

I'm on it. Just need to see if Ebay takes BitCoins . . .

uh_no
08-26-2014, 09:00 AM
I'm on it. Just need to see if Ebay takes BitCoins . . .

Do we have any students here? Maybe they take flex.

duke79
08-26-2014, 10:43 AM

I think some kind, affluent DBR participant should buy the ring and then give it back to the player who, apparently, is selling the ring because of financial distress. It seems to me that this is the type of item you want to keep for your entire life.

_Gary
08-26-2014, 11:10 AM

Practice? We're talking about practice?!!!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :D

arnie
08-26-2014, 12:28 PM
I think some kind, affluent DBR participant should buy the ring and then give it back to the player who, apparently, is selling the ring because of financial distress. It seems to me that this is the type of item you want to keep for your entire life.

IC and possibly NCAA might raise their eyebrows over that. Pay for performance issues and what's to keep a rich UK alum (entertainer) from buying all championship rings at $1,000,000 a clip and then retuning to rings to each player.

Henderson
08-26-2014, 12:59 PM
IC and possibly NCAA might raise their eyebrows over that. Pay for performance issues and what's to keep a rich UK alum (entertainer) from buying all championship rings at $1,000,000 a clip and then retuning to rings to each player.

First of all, I don't give a flying fizzart what the illiterate bone heads at IC might raise their alcohol-crippled eyebrows about. And why would the NCAA care about a financial transaction involving a student who's long gone and outside their jurisdiction? It's only an issue if there is an arrangement made while the seller is still a student.

duke79
08-26-2014, 02:20 PM
First of all, I don't give a flying fizzart what the illiterate bone heads at IC might raise their alcohol-crippled eyebrows about. And why would the NCAA care about a financial transaction involving a student who's long gone and outside their jurisdiction? It's only an issue if there is an arrangement made while the seller is still a student.

I think you're right on both counts. I'm no expert on NCAA rules but I don't think they have any jurisdiction over gifts made to a former NCAA athletic participant (long after they have left school).

dukelifer
08-26-2014, 04:31 PM

What's to keep a rich alum from promising to give any athlete 1MM if they deliver a championship and pay after the player has left the school. No ring is needed. Not sure any group can really stop this - unless there are legal contracts in play.

Native
08-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Do we have any students here? Maybe they take flex.

If I wasn't living off-campus this year I'd be willing to pony up food points!

Olympic Fan
08-26-2014, 06:36 PM
Let' be clear -- gifts given after a player's career is over ARE illegal. Roy was reprimanded for a program that rewarded his players at Kansas for graduation with gifts.

But the NCAA does allow certain gifts -- for instance players playing in early season tournaments can (an do) receive gifts. The value of those gifts is defined by the NCAA -- in the early eighties, it was in the $50 range ... later it was up to $200. Not sure what it is now. Bowl teams receive gift packages.
The NCAA does allow schools to provide rings for championship teams. Again, the value is capped. but the rings are perfectly legal. And if an athlete wants to dispose of a tournament gift or a championship ring -- after his eligibility is completed -- there is no problem with that.

I'd be MUCH more suspicious about the rings UNC gave its football team after the 2012 season. The ACC specifically banned UNC from winning the Coastal Division championship, yet UNC gave the players division championship rings. The NCAA only allows rings for teams that win a recognized championship -- and UNC was on probation and did NOT win anything in 2012.

-jk
08-26-2014, 06:57 PM
I'd be MUCH more suspicious about the rings UNC gave its football team after the 2012 season. The ACC specifically banned UNC from winning the Coastal Division championship, yet UNC gave the players division championship rings. The NCAA only allows rings for teams that win a recognized championship -- and UNC was on probation and did NOT win anything in 2012.

Well, maybe they were just carnival brass rings. (Or maybe not...)

-jk

Henderson
08-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Let' be clear -- gifts given after a player's career is over ARE illegal. Roy was reprimanded for a program that rewarded his players at Kansas for graduation with gifts.

The example you give doesn't support the sweeping statement regarding illegality. You're talking about programmatic policy known to the student-athletes while they are students. That's different from a post-graduation gift given by a supporter after the student graduates. So are tournament rings given by the university. If I (as a booster otherwise unable to provide benefits to Duke student-athletes) wanted to give Todd Zafirovski a new car today, I believe the NCAA would have nothing to say about it.

sagegrouse
08-26-2014, 10:08 PM

Lessee,... the player has graduated or otherwise moved on and is no longer a student of the university; the booster is not an employee of the university. Neither has any reason to talk to the NCAA, and neither the NCAA nor the school can compel them to talk or respond to questions. Moreover, the NCAA neither passes nor enforces laws. Sounds to me like... "against the rules, but only likely to come to the NCAA's attention if one of the parties is really stupid."

NSDukeFan
08-27-2014, 07:07 AM
If a player wins a national championship and then never has to buy a beer in that town again, are those impermissible benefits according to the NCAA?

rocketeli
08-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Everybody seems to just be assuming that a player is selling the ring. The player in question,whoever that is and if it's not a fake ring, may have sold the ring long ago and the ebay selling is a secondary owner.

Henderson
08-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Lessee,... the player has graduated or otherwise moved on and is no longer a student of the university; the booster is not an employee of the university. Neither has any reason to talk to the NCAA, and neither the NCAA nor the school can compel them to talk or respond to questions. Moreover, the NCAA neither passes nor enforces laws. Sounds to me like... "against the rules, but only likely to come to the NCAA's attention if one of the parties is really stupid."

I'm sticking with my assertion that it's not "against the rules" at all.

It's different if the program is giving out gifts, and different if players, while still players, can expect gifts.

But I could be wrong, so I'll throw out a challenge to find the NCAA prohibition on ad hoc gifts to former players. I don't see it within the NCAA's jurisdiction, and I'm not aware of any rule that bars it. The NCAA bars impermissible benefits to "student-athletes". Once the player is gone, he/she doesn't come within the NCAA purview. I think that unless it's the program providing the gift and/or the gift is given in such a way as to create an expectation among existing student-athletes that they will be rewarded, there's no NCAA violation or even basis to look into it. So if I meet Mike Gminski in a restaurant and buy his dinner, there's surely no NCAA issue. Still, Mike should be buying MY dinner.

BD80
08-27-2014, 01:31 PM

It's different if the program is giving out gifts, and different if players, while still players, can expect gifts.

But I could be wrong, so I'll throw out a challenge to find the NCAA prohibition on ad hoc gifts to former players. I don't see it within the NCAA's jurisdiction, and I'm not aware of any rule that bars it. The NCAA bars impermissible benefits to "student-athletes". Once the player is gone, he/she doesn't come within the NCAA purview. I think that unless it's the program providing the gift and/or the gift is given in such a way as to create an expectation among existing student-athletes that they will be rewarded, there's no NCAA violation or even basis to look into it. So if I meet Mike Gminski in a restaurant and buy his dinner, there's surely no NCAA issue. Still, Mike should be buying MY dinner.

This such a non-issue. Kentucky players are treated like gods in Lexington after their playing days, getting drinks, meals, cars, jobs, even elected positions which they can abuse to the tune of federal incarceration. So what? How is this different from Duke players having a leg up due to their connections with Duke alum in broadcasting, business, or on Wall Street. The issue (at least until the O'Bannon decision) was whether kids were induced to play (or stay) with improper benefits.

FWIW: each fan base would argue that the cost of the post-playing benefits at the other school, enduring the other's fan base, is not worth the benefit.

duke79
08-27-2014, 03:15 PM

Again, I'm no expert on NCAA rules, but I think you're right here. I did some research online and could find nothing about a prohibition on gifts to NCAA athletes AFTER they have graduated from or left college. Not surprisingly, there are extensive rules about giving gifts to current student-athletes. I would guess the NCAA might look askance at a situation where a booster or alumnus promises a potential recruit or current student a substantial gift, to be paid in the future after he or she leaves the school, if they play a sport. But if you make a gift to a player 5 or 10 or 15 years after they leave school, why would the NCAA care and how would they ever enforce such a situation?

Black Mambo
08-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Again, I'm no expert on NCAA rules, but I think you're right here. I did some research online and could find nothing about a prohibition on gifts to NCAA athletes AFTER they have graduated from or left college. Not surprisingly, there are extensive rules about giving gifts to current student-athletes. I would guess the NCAA might look askance at a situation where a booster or alumnus promises a potential recruit or current student a substantial gift, to be paid in the future after he or she leaves the school, if they play a sport. But if you make a gift to a player 5 or 10 or 15 years after they leave school, why would the NCAA care and how would they ever enforce such a situation?

I think the situation would be if the school knew and were using the boosters to entice recruits. In either case, neither the recruit nor the booster could be punished, but the school could be reprimanded by the NCAA. a coach/school sanctioned promise to a recruit of $1M after he graduates from xx school SEEMS like it SHOULD be illegal. Of course, for a problem to really exist, 1) the recruit would have to actually believe the booster, with no formal contract in place, 2) the recruit would have to perform up to standard, 3) booster would have to make good on his/her word, 4) the NCAA would have to find out about the promised and delivered upon arrangement, 5) booster or recuit would have to talk, 6) the NCAA would have to prove that xx school effectively sanctioned the whole arrangement.

That is at least 5 high bars and 1 low bar (NCAA finding out) that would have to be hurdled before ;) Kentucky ;) would get into trouble, right?

Olympic Fan
08-27-2014, 07:07 PM
It's very simple -- gifts from boosters to athletes are illegal benefits - whether the gift is before, during or after a player's eligibility.

The only bar that matters is that the NCAA finds out about it.

Kansas got three-year's probation in 2006, partly for postgrad gifts to Kansas basketball players (during Roy's tenure):

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=2623115

The relevant passage:

... the violations included a booster giving more than $5,000 in benefits to two basketball players and their families. One player received the majority of the benefits before and after he attended the university.

The NCAA report said other boosters gave graduation gifts to outgoing players, a fact that individuals within the athletic department were aware of, including former basketball coach Roy Williams.

HK Dukie
08-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Everybody seems to just be assuming that a player is selling the ring. The player in question,whoever that is and if it's not a fake ring, may have sold the ring long ago and the ebay selling is a secondary owner.

Gold Star Award

EBAY says the seller is a memorabilia company. I would say more than likely the ring was already sold by the player a while ago. Although it's possible the company is acting as an agent. Either way, I'm guessing they won't say which player it was even if you bought the ring.

blazindw
08-27-2014, 11:01 PM
It's very simple -- gifts from boosters to athletes are illegal benefits - whether the gift is before, during or after a player's eligibility.

The only bar that matters is that the NCAA finds out about it.

Kansas got three-year's probation in 2006, partly for postgrad gifts to Kansas basketball players (during Roy's tenure):

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=2623115

The relevant passage:

... the violations included a booster giving more than $5,000 in benefits to two basketball players and their families. One player received the majority of the benefits before and after he attended the university.

The NCAA report said other boosters gave graduation gifts to outgoing players, a fact that individuals within the athletic department were aware of, including former basketball coach Roy Williams.

I think what people are arguing is that outgoing players (graduating) is a different situation than minimum 10 years out of school (very graduated). If I saw Shane on the street and bought him and his family dinner as a friend, the NCAA could not come down on Duke for that. In fact, I'd love to see them try.

fidel
05-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Nearest thread I could find...

My father-in-law sells a house, and the seller has in his basement a signed Duke basketball. He tells the guy he knows someone who wants it, so now it is in my basement.

Its signed by

Shane Battier
Carlos Boozer
Jason Williams
Matt Christensen
Nick Horvath
Andre Buckner
a couple more I haven't deciphered yet.

Either 2000 or 2001.

Schwing!