PDA

View Full Version : Streelman in the FedEx Cup

sagegrouse
08-22-2014, 01:38 PM
As the FedEx playoffs begin with the Barclays in Paramus, NJ, Kevin has rallied and will make the cut. Streels had an opening round 75 (+4) and was in a heap of trouble. Today he shot a 67 (-4) for an even par score. The cut line is now estimated at +1.

Up-and-down is good for PGA golfers and not just around the greens. Kevin has had an up-and-down year, with 21 events (the Tour year now starts in October), 14 cuts made (not great), and only two top ten finishes. One, however, was a win at the Travelers Open, finishing with a tour record seven straight birdies. But this result came after missing four consecutive cuts. That win keeps him in the top 50 of the world rankings, which guarantees a place in the Majors and the World Gold Championships. Year-to-date winnings are just above $2 million.

Unless you make the top ten frequently, winning a tournament is paramount. A player who makes every cut but records few top ten finishes will keep his tour card but not usually qualify for the Major championships. Streels has won two tournaments, last year and this. So, up-and-down works pretty well for a pro golfer.

Last year ended with some personal drama for the Streelmans. Their daughter Sophia was born prematurely because Courtney was having serious medical difficulties. She was fine, and that was a high point for Kevin and Courtney (http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/01/by-dave-shedloski.html), even more so than the tour wins.

4Gen
08-22-2014, 06:25 PM
He's easy to pull for. I believe I would if he was a tarheel. I hope I would. I probably wouldn't.

sagegrouse
08-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Kevin has finished today at -2. He had seven birdies, including four of the last five holes, which were offset by three bogeys and a double.

We should be careful about pretending that these highly competitive athletes are the reincarnation of Mother Teresa, but Kevin does stand out. A few years ago he won $1 million in the Kodak Challenge, a season-long competition where one special hole was picked out in each tournament. He gave the money away!

The season before [2008], when Streelman had made a fair take as a rookie, he jettisoned that last mini-tour car, a Toyota Camry, and purchased his childhood dream car, a Porsche 911. This time... Streelman had other plans. He doled out his Kodak Challenge winnings to his parents and his wife’s parents to help them pay off their homes. His siblings got some too, and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, which has become a favorite cause.

There's more (http://www.linksplayers.com/articles/kevin-streelman/), but you get the point.

JasonEvans
08-25-2014, 08:25 AM
After the Barclays, where he finished T46, Streels is in 42nd place in the FedEx Cup standings. He obviously qualifies to move on to the next event, which takes everyone in the top 100, and should be fine to play in the third events, which takes everyone in the top 70. But, he will need at least one strong placement in the next two events if he is to make the top 30 and qualify for the Tour Championship in Atlanta.

-Jason "Hunter Mahan accidentally broke the huge crystal trophy he won at the Barclays. Kinda funny..." Evans
http://imgick.nj.com/home/njo-media/pgmain/img/star-ledger/photo/2014/08/24/-7433fe06a0f7d16e.jpg

sagegrouse
08-30-2014, 11:36 AM
At the Deutsche Bank Championship, the second playoff event in the FedEx Cup, Kevin got off to a rocky start. Uh, change that -- a swimmingly bad start. He went for a dip on three holes in yesterday's first round, logging three double bogeys. The rest of the round was pretty good, and he finished with a +2.

Today's round has gotten to a wonderful start. Kevin has two birdies and an eagle on a short par 4 to lower his overall score to -2, which is a tie for 21st place.

Go Streels! Go Duke!

sagegrouse
08-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Streels finished at -4 for the day and is tied for 24th going into the third round of the Deutsche Bank Championship. But not without some trouble: sitting pretty at five under after 11 holes, he bogeyed number 12 and then had a horrid 7 on the par 4 14th. That put him back to +1 for the tournament. Kevin then proceeded to birdie three of the last four holes, making putts of 17, 29 and six feet to close at -2.

sagegrouse
08-31-2014, 03:59 PM
Streels was a hot golfer today, posting a six-under 65, with 10 birdies, two bogeys, and a double on nemesis hole #14.

Kevin is tied for fifth at the moment and should stay in the top ten.

He is projected to move from 42 to 28 in the FedEx standings. The top 30 go to the championship, which is two weeks.

Go Duke

Ol' Sage
'If he had avoided the problems on #14 and three balls in the water in the first round, he would be leading by a bunch. On the other hand, if I had made A's in all my courses, I would have posted a 4.0'

4Gen
09-01-2014, 02:21 PM
After four, Streels has scored his 22nd, 23rd, and 24th birdies of the tourney. He's one shot out of the lead.

sagegrouse
09-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Didn't happen for Kevin today. After three early birdies, he slumped on the back nine with four bogeys and a double bogey, before closing with a birdie on 18. He finished at -6 and is in 26th place.

In the FedEx chase, he is about 38th now and will have to do something next week to get in the top 30 for the Tour Championship.

Go Streels! Go Duke!

JasonEvans
09-01-2014, 05:34 PM
After four, Streels has scored his 22nd, 23rd, and 24th birdies of the tourney. He's one shot out of the lead.

And it was all downhill from there. Bogey on 6. Two more bogeys on 10 and 11. A double on 13 and one more on 17. He finally got another birdie on 18. He finished tied for 26th... ugh. He will probably need a top 10 or so next week to make it to the tour championship.

-Jason "go Streels!" Evans

sagegrouse
09-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Kevin was even par after ten holes but went five-over in a string of four holes to finish at +5 and near the bottom of the field of 70. He ranked #38 in FedEx points coming into the BMW and needs to make the top 30 to qualify for the PGA Tour Championship at East Lake GC in Atlanta next weekend. Kevin had a big rally last week in new Jersey and needs one this week in Colorado to continue his season.

Newton_14
09-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Kevin was even par after ten holes but went five-over in a string of four holes to finish at +5 and near the bottom of the field of 70. He ranked #38 in FedEx points coming into the BMW and needs to make the top 30 to qualify for the PGA Tour Championship at East Lake GC in Atlanta next weekend. Kevin had a big rally last week in new Jersey and needs one this week in Colorado to continue his season.

Thanks Sage. Is the tourney close enough for you to attend this week or no?

Hopefully Kevin goes low tomorrow. He needs it. He is so close to playing great golf, but for one bad stretch of 4 to 5 holes over a period of like 3 straight rounds. If he can find a way to eliminate that he will go to another level.

sagegrouse
09-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Thanks Sage. Is the tourney close enough for you to attend this week or no?

Hopefully Kevin goes low tomorrow. He needs it. He is so close to playing great golf, but for one bad stretch of 4 to 5 holes over a period of like 3 straight rounds. If he can find a way to eliminate that he will go to another level.

It's a three-hour drive. We are getting to go an a ten-day trip starting Tuesday, so I can't spare any time this weekend.

I agree. Kevin needs to avoid the bad run of holes that limit his chances to win. Mebbe that'll happen tomorrow.

sagegrouse
09-06-2014, 01:55 PM
FedEx Cup is over for Kevin, I fear. He made an 8 on a par three -- his third hole of the day -- with two shots into the water -- the second from just off the green. Kevin is at +10 and is last in the field.

Kevin, I don't know how you feel, but I know what it's like to make an 8 on a par 3.

Kindly, Ol' Sage

ricks68
09-06-2014, 03:41 PM
FedEx Cup is over for Kevin, I fear. He made an 8 on a par three -- his third hole of the day -- with two shots into the water -- the second from just off the green. Kevin is at +10 and is last in the field.

Kevin, I don't know how you feel, but I know what it's like to make an 8 on a par 3.

Kindly, Ol' Sage

Ditto.

ricks