PDA

View Full Version : Bench Press

JasonEvans
08-22-2014, 11:46 AM
I hope they at least had a good bonfire with the destroyed benches.

East campus benches removed due to size restrictions. (http://m.dukechronicle.com/articles/2014/08/22/east-campus-benches-removed-due-size-restrictions)

Whereas the potential number of benches used to be around 20, under the new model the number is closer to 50...

The new maximum dimensions for benches are 8 feet in length, 5 feet in height from the ground and 6 feet in depth, according to the 2014-15 Duke Community Standard in Practice manual. This is a 4-foot reduction in the maximum length allowed, as the outdated dimensions were 12 feet in length, 5 feet in height and 6 feet in depth, according to the 2012-13 handbook.

-Jason "big benches... yet another thing I can tell my kids about as they stare at me wide-eyed with wonder. I'll file it right next to compact disks and desktop computers" Evans

Dev11
08-22-2014, 11:55 AM
This is ridiculous and sad. I often disagreed with Residence Life on things, but this one takes the cake.

bjornolf
08-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Um, why?

fuse
08-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Sad to see more rules about smaller benches come around again.
The DKE bench on East used to be monstrous, with an elevated platform as the back of the bench that was big enough for several people to stand on.

If I had to guess I would have said it was easily 15 feet across, 15 feet deep and about 5 feet high.

Yes, it was an absurdly large bench and bonfire fodder for no one.

El_Diablo
08-22-2014, 12:48 PM
So now each East Campus dorm now just has a smaller bench, even though the whole point of having smaller benches (to offset an increase in the number of benches) does not actually apply to East Campus. Ugh! I sometimes forget how arbitrary and capricious the Duke administration can be towards the various elements of student life.

weezie
08-22-2014, 01:40 PM
-Jason "big benches... yet another thing I can tell my kids about as they stare at me wide-eyed with wonder. I'll file it right next to compact disks and desktop computers" Evans

Good lord, your kids must be very young. They'll be starting at you with wide-eyed slack jawed confusion and shock and boredom all at the same time in just a few short years. :)

Mal
08-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Wow. Talk about inept bureaucratic decisionmaking. Admin says two things: (i) benches are an important part of campus life, (ii) they're a distinctive part of the landscape here, then acts to restrict size so much that they're no longer distinctive and so small that no one will want to use them, so that they'll lose their importance.

I take it from the article that they need some new benches on Central, and then more on West to match some sort of re-sectioning or something. Couldn't you just allow them to stay 12 feet in length so as to still look properly oversized and inviting for a group, then find a way to squeeze a couple more onto a given quad? It's not like they need a utility hookup or anything. I mean, my desk at work is longer than 8 feet! 8' x 5' x 6' is a ridiculous set of dimensions, and will produce something that looks more like a boat, or possibly a bunk bed, than something you'd want to sit on.

devil84
08-23-2014, 04:15 PM
I mean, my desk at work is longer than 8 feet! 8' x 5' x 6' is a ridiculous set of dimensions, and will produce something that looks more like a boat, or possibly a bunk bed, than something you'd want to sit on.

My first thought as I read this was that nothing good can come of bunk beds on the quad! :)

Truly ridiculous to limit the size to 8'. What is the standard length of lumber stocked at the local stores? Didn't I see a lot of 10-12' stock last weekend when I was there (multiple times over multiple days fixing some siding issues)? Why not use the entire length of lumber, instead of wasting 2'-4' sections of boards? I wonder what creative, intelligent groups of students can do with that much leftover stock. I'm thinking more along the lines of creative mischief than I am something actually practical for the housing section...

Lord Ash
09-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Ahh... I remember eating Lil Dinos sandwiches on the bench, sipping on a drink and discussing the merits of the sundress with my friends. A shame it would be far fewer friends now! I hope sundresses are still allowed at least?

Native
09-04-2014, 07:01 PM
I hope sundresses are still allowed at least?

...for now.