PDA

View Full Version : 2014 MBB Exhibition Games

kAzE
08-20-2014, 12:53 AM
I've been watching Kentucky's exhibitions games, and man that team is totally stacked . . . it may be the biggest college team I've ever seen.

Do college exhibition games always start this early? I feel like this is a new thing this year. We've still got more than 2 full months until countdown to craziness . . . is it because Coach K is busy with Team USA? Watching UK develop chemistry and jell this early is making me nervous, these guys might be way better than last year, and they nearly won it all last year.

Kedsy
08-20-2014, 12:57 AM
I've been watching Kentucky's exhibitions games, and man that team is totally stacked . . . it may be the biggest college team I've ever seen.

Do college exhibition games always start this early? I feel like this is a new thing this year. We've still got more than 2 full months until countdown to craziness . . . is it because Coach K is busy with Team USA? Watching UK develop chemistry and jell this early is making me nervous, these guys might be way better than last year, and they nearly won it all last year.

I think this is like our China trip a couple years ago. I believe college teams can take such a trip once every four years.

As far as UK goes, yeah they'll be good. A Kentucky fan recently told me they're playing 5-in, 5-out, to take advantage of their depth. I'm still not sold on their guards, though. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

tommy
08-20-2014, 02:56 AM
Read that the freshman PG Tyler Ullis has looked good in the Bahamas, and that Cal is likely to play him AND the Harrisons together in a 3-guard look. Which sounds fine, as the Harrisons are big kids, except that even without Ullis being in the rotation, Kentucky would have had a major,major logjam at the 4 and 5 positions, with Cauley-Stein, Dakari Johnson, Marcus Lee, Karl Towns, and Trey Lyles. And if they go with 3 guards, that means Alex Poythress would need to get minutes at the four, further exacerbating their logjam. I know, it's a good problem to have, but I can't help but think some of these guys are not going to be happy with the minutes they get, at all.

FerryFor50
08-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Read that the freshman PG Tyler Ullis has looked good in the Bahamas, and that Cal is likely to play him AND the Harrisons together in a 3-guard look. Which sounds fine, as the Harrisons are big kids, except that even without Ullis being in the rotation, Kentucky would have had a major,major logjam at the 4 and 5 positions, with Cauley-Stein, Dakari Johnson, Marcus Lee, Karl Towns, and Trey Lyles. And if they go with 3 guards, that means Alex Poythress would need to get minutes at the four, further exacerbating their logjam. I know, it's a good problem to have, but I can't help but think some of these guys are not going to be happy with the minutes they get, at all.

I also read that Kentucky used line changes in Bahamas.

Wonder where Cal picked up that genius strategy... :p

gumbomoop
08-20-2014, 10:00 AM
A Kentucky fan recently told me they're playing 5-in, 5-out, to take advantage of their depth. I'm still not sold on their guards, though.

I saw them, snippets, in a couple of games on ESPNU and then the new SEC Network. Amazing interior depth, and Ullis will play some. Bilas was over the moon on their talent and depth. And relatively speaking [i.e., relative to their recent seasons], they have an experienced team.

Although I wouldn't take them against the field to win the NC, they're the obvious -- talent, depth, experience -- preseason #1. Any pub that nudges Arizona or maybe Wisconsin ahead of them is just being cute.

Some talk that Calipari is seriously considering platoons, with Harrisons, Poythress, C-S, and another big as platoon #1. Maybe 25 mpg. Platoon #2, 15 mpg, would then have a 6'10" SF......

Team chemistry? I'll guess not a problem, as they should know this is an unusual moment and collection of talent. Might be giddy rather than sullen.

FerryFor50
08-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Team chemistry? I'll guess not a problem, as they should know this is an unusual moment and collection of talent. Might be giddy rather than sullen.

Unless the Harrison twins have matured a bit (and stop simply passing the ball to each other) and unless Dakari Johnson and Marcus Lee get a good chunk of minutes after strong showings at the end of last year, I'll believe they'll have good chemistry when I see it.

Clay Feet POF
08-20-2014, 10:09 AM
I also read that Kentucky used line changes in Bahamas.

Wonder where Cal picked up that genius strategy... :p

Is Duke still Contemplating and will this become one of those changes that Coach K hinted at a few months ago. Looks like we certainly have the depth!

FerryFor50
08-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Is Duke still Contemplating and will this become one of those changes that Coach K hinted at a few months ago. Looks like we certainly have the depth!

Dunno. I think many fans liked it, but as we saw last year, it was only an experiment for a few games until K went back to a more traditional lineup.

I suspect K will only try it if he thinks the team needs a jolt. I think the changes he hinted at might have been playing Cook more at off-guard and having Jones play PG.

Henderson
08-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Dunno. I think many fans liked it, but as we saw last year, it was only an experiment for a few games until K went back to a more traditional lineup.

I suspect K will only try it if he thinks the team needs a jolt. I think the changes he hinted at might have been playing Cook more at off-guard and having Jones play PG.

Didn't Dean use that system off and on for a couple years? The "Little Blue" team? The concept has a great deal of surface appeal (cohesive line used to playing together; starters all get a blow), but coaches who try it don't usually stick with it. It takes away too much situational flexibility, makes it tough for the coach to sit a player for a minute or two to receive some on-the-fly coaching, and makes it tough to sit a player who isn't doing what he's supposed to be doing on the court.

Clay Feet POF
08-20-2014, 10:53 AM

Yeah, I remember and also remember we never loss a game when it was used. IMHO Kentucky always had the talent and depth but the chemistry was never Strong. Underlying feelings and unspoken words of talented players that don’t get minutes detaches from reaching the best chemistry. I think they got it right this year.

China, West Point, WTC, and any other bonding attempts will not match the Camaraderie and Estprit De Corps when ALL players are contributing on the court. (Not to mention player development) Now that’s a feeling of Belonging.

Henderson
08-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I remember and also remember we never loss a game when it was used. IMHO Kentucky always had the talent and depth but the chemistry was never Strong. Underlying feelings and unspoken words of talented players that don’t get minutes detaches from reaching the best chemistry. I think they got it right this year.

China, West Point, WTC, and any other bonding attempts will not match the Camaraderie and Estprit De Corps when ALL players are contributing on the court. (Not to mention player development) Now that’s a feeling of Belonging.

I can't blame Cal for trying the strategy. He's recruited a bunch of players who will be expecting minutes without necessarily having to earn them. If Cal figures out how to create chemistry among the young recruits who play for him a short time while also giving all his highly touted recruits a showcase, he will have unlocked the last door to UK success.

Maybe line changes will accomplish all that for him. I'd hate to be a presumptive OAD recruit relegated to the "B" team, but he may have enough talent to run out two squads of "A" team performers with approximately equal minutes. Maybe Team 1 starts some games, and Team 2 starts others. It could be an effective way to deal with UK's overabundance of talented kids who all expect to be showcased.

Clay Feet POF
08-20-2014, 11:17 AM
I can't blame Cal for trying the strategy. He's recruited a bunch of players who will be expecting minutes without necessarily having to earn them. If Cal figures out how to create chemistry among the young recruits who play for him a short time while also giving all his highly touted recruits a showcase, he will have unlocked the last door to UK success.

Maybe line changes will accomplish all that for him. I'd hate to be a presumptive OAD recruit relegated to the "B" team, but he may have enough talent to run out two squads of "A" team performers with approximately equal minutes. Maybe Team 1 starts some games, and Team 2 starts others. It could be an effective way to deal with UK's overabundance of talented kids who all expect to be showcased.

Strongly Agree!!

kAzE
08-20-2014, 11:21 AM
On UK, I suspect there will be guys who will be unhappy with their playing time. Especially up front. I think recruits are going to wait until after the deadline to declare for the NBA draft before committing to Kentucky from now on. Guys like the Harrisons, Caulie-Stein, and Poythress were expected to go pro by now, and their presence on the team means there's going to be some major NBA talent playing less than 15 minutes a game, which is probably not what they envisioned when they signed up.

Still, they are by far the most talented team in the country, and it's obviously fine if Cal can get everyone to buy in to their role on the team. If that happens, I think they will be the favorites to win it all. The only weakness I see with this team may be if they run into a very fast, very quick team who presses full court, and can beat them in transition up and down the floor. The Harrisons aren't exactly highly regarded for their perimeter defense, so they can be beat off the dribble. Their size and shot blocking on the interior is going to cover a lot of mistakes, so you'll need guards who have great passing ability and also a good mid-range game. I think the prototypical team to take them down would look something like last year's Uconn team with Napier and Boatright or Louisville's 2013 team with Siva and Russdiculous. Nobody is going to match their size across the board, so you're going to have to beat them with speed and quickness.

JasonEvans
08-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Should we rename this thread, "Kentucky looks scary!" or just leave it as is?

kAzE
08-20-2014, 12:40 PM

We could also use it to make fun of UNC if they lose again

JasonEvans
08-20-2014, 12:41 PM

Morehead State is also playing in the Bahamas. They really took it to (http://www.msueagles.com/news/2014/8/12/MBB_0812145454.aspx) the Pyramid Food Rockets 112-55.

"We knew the Pyramid Food Rockets didn't have the best ball handlers, so we pressed and trapped almost the entire game," head coach Sean Woods said.

This is big news as I had thought the Pyramid Food Rockets would be fine at guard this season. If they are having trouble with ballhandling it really changes my expectations for them.

-Jason "Sean Woods will forever be famous for hitting the second to last shot in the greatest college hoops game ever played" Evans

Olympic Fan
08-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Didn't Dean use that system off and on for a couple years? The "Little Blue" team? The concept has a great deal of surface appeal (cohesive line used to playing together; starters all get a blow), but coaches who try it don't usually stick with it. It takes away too much situational flexibility, makes it tough for the coach to sit a player for a minute or two to receive some on-the-fly coaching, and makes it tough to sit a player who isn't doing what he's supposed to be doing on the court.

Dean did have a "Blue Team" (never heard it called the "Little" Blue Team), starting in the early 1970s.

It wasn't the same as the line changes that K used last year and Calipari is experimenting with now. Dean's Blue Team was made up of his scrubs. They played together in practice against the top 7-8 players -- the rotation guys. Dean would use his Blue Team as a unit for 1-3 minutes in the first half, just to give his regulars a break. The Blue Team rarely lost or gained much ground, but the starters had a habit of going on a spurt when they returned to the game after the Blue Team's appearance.

A few of those Blue Team guys became fan favorites -- I recall that Mickey Bell was Blue Team "star".

The key to the Blue Team was that they were amazingly patient at the offensive end, working and waiting until they got the perfect shot. Once the shot clock came in (1986) and forced them to shoot without waiting for the perfect shot, Dean gradually got away from the Blue Team. It didn't disappear, but it became more and more a late game mop-up crew -- or, s Roy used it in Tallahassee, as a sacrificial lamb to protect his more valuable players.

mo.st.dukie
08-20-2014, 01:50 PM
I think this should be allowed every other year or every year. At least allow teams to have full practices and an intrasquad scrimmage if they don't want to spend the money on a trip. College football has spring practice and a scrimmage, college basketball should have summer practice and scrimmage/exhibition games. In recent years they have already moved the start of official practice to an earlier date and have allowed coaches a certain amount of workout/practice time with players during summer, might as well establish a 2-3 week period during the summer for full practices and games.

kAzE
08-20-2014, 04:31 PM
So, since our last trip abroad was in 2011, does that mean we're doing it against next year? If so . . . there might Duke basketball in August 2015? Yet another summer where baseball isn't the only thing on TV. Hallelujah!

Kedsy
08-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Is Duke still Contemplating and will this become one of those changes that Coach K hinted at a few months ago.

I doubt it. I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Clay Feet POF
08-20-2014, 04:46 PM
I doubt it. I certainly wouldn't count on it.

I would agree after 30 plus successful years I don't think its in his DNA!

dukebluesincebirth
08-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Geez. I thought UK had alotta talent last year. Now they're going 10-11 deep after losing a few starters? I don't get it. Why do so many kids want to go there without knowing who's staying/leaving? I understand them recruiting competitively with other major schools, but this is getting a little absurd. It's got to backfire at some point. I think the Harrison twins were supposed to leave to free up space, then they came back. I was surprised. Maybe this will be the year it all implodes on them. I can only hope.

fuse
08-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Geez. I thought UK had alotta talent last year. Now they're going 10-11 deep after losing a few starters? I don't get it. Why do so many kids want to go there without knowing who's staying/leaving? I understand them recruiting competitively with other major schools, but this is getting a little absurd. It's got to backfire at some point. I think the Harrison twins were supposed to leave to free up space, then they came back. I was surprised. Maybe this will be the year it all implodes on them. I can only hope.

See Duke circa 1999 ( and 1992?) when players discussed that practices were more competitive than games.
Iron sharpens iron, and strong players that want to get stronger don't shy away from playing against the best.
That's the attraction along with one and done at UK.

I think when Burgess committed before Brand, some reporter asked him if he was worried about playing or if Burgess' decision would influence Brand's choice.
I believe Brand's comment was along the lines of "they better worry about me" implying he was going to be the best player in the class and get playing time.

We can lament Cal, UK and their collection of talent all we want- it's just envy/ sour grapes. I wouldn't trade any of our players for UK's, and I don't doubt with K coaching that group they'd be better.

We have an embarassment of riches on our basketball team in terms of talent.
What we are missing is the refuse to lose/die trying attitude that made certain past Duke teams most formidable. Most recently that may have been the collective 2010 team. The team needs a Laettner mean streak, someone who just hates to lose and is willing to drive the team to that end.

Suliamon might be the closest we have to a player with that mindset- offhand I'm not sure we have a player with that attitude on the team. Time will tell. I hope I am wrong and the fearless Duke basketball juggernaut we all know and love comes back to stay.

tommy
08-20-2014, 10:26 PM

Maybe, but like you, I'd wonder about it in terms of recruiting. If you're the kind of kid who sees himself as a possible (or definite) one and done kid, with that kind of talent and all the elite programs after you, are you going to be all that psyched about the prospect of playing maybe half the game, sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less, as opposed to being "showcased" or at least a featured guy, somewhere else?

And in terms of this year's team, even if he was to do the line changes, they've still got five guys who can play only the 4 or 5: Johnson, Cauley-Stein, Lee, Towns, and Lyles. I suppose maybe Lyles could play some 3, but then you get into Poythress and possibly Aaron Harrison's spot if Ullis is going to get serious minutes at the point, moving Andrew over to the 2. So if you consider Lyles a 4, which is his natural position, then you've got five guys. Two lines, four guys at those two positions. Meaning one of those five elite big-man recruits is a third stringer. It might be Marcus Lee, who won't be happy at all, feeling he earned his spot with his outstanding play in the NCAA Tournament last year. It'll be interesting, that's for sure.

gumbomoop
08-20-2014, 11:42 PM
The team needs a Laettner mean streak, someone who just hates to lose and is willing to drive the team to that end.

Suliamon might be the closest we have to a player with that mindset- offhand I'm not sure we have a player with that attitude on the team.

Justise Winslow would be that guy, if he stayed until his junior year. Possibly even in 2015-16, if he's not OAD. He appears to play with intensity. Not overconfident, just confident; not showy, just relentless.

Laettner talked, and walked the talk. I'm thinking Winslow will walk the look. I hope, but doubt, for 3 seasons.