PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Duke sports moment that really has nothing to do with the event

throatybeard
08-15-2014, 09:15 PM
Summer topic. I have two of these. Well three, if I'm going to be vain.

1) In about 1998 (?) I was at a Duke-Indiana soccer game. I have no idea who won. I can't name anyone on the team, but Heaps is a decent guess. I know I was with my college BFF and her boyfriend (now-husband) but I can't even remember if my now-wife was there. (Not so much into the sports, she). In fact, I'm only 87% certain Indiana was the opponent. I think somebody won 2-1. Not sure. But I have photographic memory of the following.

A soccer ball flies out of bounds, and a guy who is carrying his approximately 4yo daughter in his arms effortlessly kicks his back (right, from that side of the field) foot up behind him, kicks the ball back over the fence, and scarcely breaks stride while never even coming close to dropping the little girl. Who's probably about a senior in college now. Among other things, he must have had amazing peripheral vision. Everyone in the bleachers in front of him applauded.

2) In exactly 1998, we played Carolina away. The whole night was a solid kick to the pancreas. We were finally back, and our main thought was "well at least we won't get our butts kicked, even though it's away." First, we got our butts kicked. Then we came back from that butt-kicking to narrow it to 70-66 or so. Then they re-kicked our butts, executing NBA all-star weekend show-off jams, which I can't blame them for, although I can blame their nasty fans for vandalizing our campus by the next morning.

All of that was beside the point, however. The University had a watch party on what would probably now look like a cave man television in the Blue & White Room, or Great Hall, or whatever the heck it's called now. For thirty beautiful seconds, that Dodge "Truck stop of the new South" (rama lama) commercial came on and everyone sang the lyrics in unison, loudly. Probably even a bunch of kids from up north. This might be my single favorite memory from undergrad that doesn't involve my now-wife. I've tried to find a YT of it and I can't.

3) I've only been back to Cameron thrice since I finished gradskool in 2004. (Home games against Clemson in 2005 and FSU in 2007 and 2009). We spend all our money on plane tickets and day care and it just isn't feasible. If the Midwest Regional is here and Duke, or NC State (2012) is in it, I'll be there with bells on, but otherwise, I gotta lie down. I did make it to the bowl games in Charlotte and Atlanta, but only because it was Christmas and we happened to be in the orbit of one of those towns right when the game happened, visiting family. Other than that, I haven't seen a live Duke sporting event in over five years. Point being, there's a very real chance I'll never set foot in Cameron again after 2009. It's gotten really expensive, and after my parents are gone, I just don't see being in NC at all much.

But in 2009, I happened to be in NC for my father's 70th birthday, and gvtucker couldn't use his Duke-FSU tickets, and I bought them off him and used them for me, my father, and a friend's father who is also about that age. I went to buy a greasy chicken sandwich, or something, and I'm standing in line wearing an iron D Nike mock turtle, screwing with my phone, and some kid comes up to me and goes "DUDE! I see you at games all the time!"

My surmise was that his parents had ESPN Classic.

wilson
08-16-2014, 12:29 PM
I was inexplicably willing to miss Duke-Maryland in the 2011 ACC Tournament to go on a second date. Ordinarily, that would have been a total non-option, but in that case, there were scheduling issues would have delayed the date another week if we didn't go then, and I really didn't want to wait that long. The woman I went on the date with is now my wife, so things worked out pretty well.

burnspbesq
08-16-2014, 12:50 PM
In (I think) 2007, the Duke women played in a holiday tournament in San Diego at the same time as a big high school girls tournament was also going on at multiple gyms around the county. I drove down early, but the traffic I had planned for didn't materialize, so I was one of about 500 people inside Jenny Craig Pavilion at USD when Duke came out to warm up. The usual smattering of polite applause--except for one group of about 50 people across the way who stood, booed their lungs out, flipped birds, etc.

Turned out it was a high school team from (you guessed it) Kentucky, with coaches and parents.

Tom B.
08-16-2014, 01:43 PM
(1) January 2, 2006 -- Taking my then-girlfriend, now wife, to her first game in Cameron. It just so happened that Duke was playing her alma mater, Bucknell. Duke won in a pretty one-sided result, but thankfully, she didn't hold it against me.

(2) February 27, 1994 -- Duke is playing Temple at home. Before the game, the Crazies are in the stands doing their thing while the teams have their shootaround, when out on to the floor walks Temple's most famous alum, Bill Cosby. The Crazies start cheering, then quickly start up a chant: "Jell-O Pud-ding!" Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap. "Jell-O Pud-ding!" Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap. Cosby walks out to the middle of the court and starts waving his arm up and down like he's conducting our chant. Then he walks over to the Duke cheerleaders and starts giving out hugs, and poses for a few pictures. Tom D'Armi then walks up to Cosby, throws an arm around his shoulder and gives him a hearty handshake, after which the two retreat into D'Armi's office for what I can only assume involved cigars, maybe an adult beverage or two, and some good storytelling. They stayed in there for a good 15-20 minutes, then when the teams came back out for their warmups and intros, Cosby emerged and walked back across the floor along the sideline with the team benches and the scorer's table (stopping to shake K's hand along the way) and took his seat behind the Temple bench.

I was also on TV at that game. The students were crowd-surfing Dick Vitale before the game, but I was somehow oblivious -- then I looked up and here's Vitale coming right at me. I put my hands up almost in self-defense (I did not want to be the guy who dropped Dick Vitale), and a for several seconds, there I was on national TV propping up Vitale's butt.

(3) January 24, 2009 -- Duke was playing Maryland at home. Before the national anthem, the P.A. guy announced that Kay Yow had passed away that morning. The scoreboard operator put a picture of Yow on the big screen with the dates of her birth and death. Because it had just happened a few hours before, many people there didn't know she had died, and there was an audible "Ooohhh...." from the crowd. Everyone stood (without having to be prompted) and observed a moment of silence, and more than a few people wiped away tears. It was just a touching (and very spontaneous) moment of appreciation and respect for someone who meant a lot to the ACC family.

sagegrouse
08-16-2014, 04:56 PM
I ran down the tunnel and into Duke Stadium holding the stolen Navy goat just before Duke played third-ranked Navy in 1960. There was a disgraceful melee as the brigade of midshipmen charged. The Duke students stood their ground, and we returned old Billy at halftime. Oh, and Duke won 19-10.

BD80
08-16-2014, 05:23 PM
I ran down the tunnel and into Duke Stadium holding the stolen Navy goat just before Duke played third-ranked Navy in 1960. There was a disgraceful melee as the brigade of midshipmen charged. The Duke students stood their ground, and we returned old Billy at halftime. Oh, and Duke won 19-10.

They say the goat was never the same after that weekend. He would often gaze off into the distance, sighing wistfully ...

sagegrouse
08-16-2014, 06:54 PM
They say the goat was never the same after that weekend. He would often gaze off into the distance, sighing wistfully ...

Yeah, I lived in House J, but the goat overnighted in a basement closet in House K. You'll have to talk to those guys.

throatybeard
08-16-2014, 07:48 PM

And then they sold him for parts to UNC.

BD80
08-16-2014, 08:10 PM
And then they sold him for parts to UNC.

Which was the last semblance of honor to exist in chapel hill; goat parts.

Reilly
08-16-2014, 09:03 PM

Dear God, I've often and long enjoyed sage's posts -- and cannot spork due to some sort of sporking in the past, I guess -- but that's just a tremendous Duke fan story. Fifty-four years worth of cocktail party chatter right there ....

Not sure this technically meets the definition of having nothing to do with the event, but I think it does (since I cannot remember exactly which event (of 3) it happened at: in 1988 in Greensboro for the ACC Tourney, the students had wonderful seats on the floor, right behind the basket ... the Iron Dukes were sat upstairs ... the students stood for the whole game(s) [three of them, culminating with 65-61] ...

The ushers kept coming around telling the students to sit down, they were blocking views ... so, at one point, the students stood on their chairs to get even higher ... turned to the alums upstairs ... did a "reverse Johnny D bow down" (that is, palms up, lifting upwards) ... and started yelling upstairs to the Iron Dukes: "Stand up for DUKE."

The later-to-be-named Crusties stood en masse and ROARED, and security slinked away. I've been to World Series games, NFL playoff games, 70-odd Cameron games, countless NFL regular season games, yada yada ... and I can't remember a more electric moment.

superdave
08-18-2014, 03:10 PM
2) In exactly 1998, we played Carolina away. The whole night was a solid kick to the pancreas. We were finally back, and our main thought was "well at least we won't get our butts kicked, even though it's away." First, we got our butts kicked. Then we came back from that butt-kicking to narrow it to 70-66 or so. Then they re-kicked our butts, executing NBA all-star weekend show-off jams, which I can't blame them for, although I can blame their nasty fans for vandalizing our campus by the next morning.

All of that was beside the point, however. The University had a watch party on what would probably now look like a cave man television in the Blue & White Room, or Great Hall, or whatever the heck it's called now. For thirty beautiful seconds, that Dodge "Truck stop of the new South" (rama lama) commercial came on and everyone sang the lyrics in unison, loudly. Probably even a bunch of kids from up north. This might be my single favorite memory from undergrad that doesn't involve my now-wife. I've tried to find a YT of it and I can't.

I was at this game in the Dean Dome, in the Unc student section, waaay upper level. A Unc student I knew at the time threatened bodily harm because I was wearing my fashionable Duke basketball camp tshirt and yelling a lot. I made it out alive but hated their fans even more.

I always thought Duke would have won the title that year had Avery matured a little more quickly and supplanted Wojo. The Unc team was potentially great if they had developed their bench (Brendan Haywood, Max Owens). Instead Gut went with a 6-man starting lineup and didnt play anyone else much.

jjasper0729
08-18-2014, 04:15 PM
(2) February 27, 1994 -- Duke is playing Temple at home. Before the game, the Crazies are in the stands doing their thing while the teams have their shootaround, when out on to the floor walks Temple's most famous alum, Bill Cosby. The Crazies start cheering, then quickly start up a chant: "Jell-O Pud-ding!" Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap. "Jell-O Pud-ding!" Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap. Cosby walks out to the middle of the court and starts waving his arm up and down like he's conducting our chant. Then he walks over to the Duke cheerleaders and starts giving out hugs, and poses for a few pictures. Tom D'Armi then walks up to Cosby, throws an arm around his shoulder and gives him a hearty handshake, after which the two retreat into D'Armi's office for what I can only assume involved cigars, maybe an adult beverage or two, and some good storytelling. They stayed in there for a good 15-20 minutes, then when the teams came back out for their warmups and intros, Cosby emerged and walked back across the floor along the sideline with the team benches and the scorer's table (stopping to shake K's hand along the way) and took his seat behind the Temple bench.

I was also on TV at that game. The students were crowd-surfing Dick Vitale before the game, but I was somehow oblivious -- then I looked up and here's Vitale coming right at me. I put my hands up almost in self-defense (I did not want to be the guy who dropped Dick Vitale), and a for several seconds, there I was on national TV propping up Vitale's butt.

I absolutely remember this game. I had come down to Cameron from the baseball field because we had a game that day (yep). It was FREEZING at Jack Coombs and I got down to the table just moments before tip off. Cosby came in and the seats behind the bench were packed so he ended up sitting at the end of the scorer's table for the first half next to me.

-bdbd
08-19-2014, 01:33 AM
March 1981. Coach K takes his first Duke squad, on the shoulders of Gene Banks, to the NIT. The second round was palyed in CIS against Alabama. I took a life-sized poster of, I think, Cheryl Tiegs in a bikini to the game. Sat right under the north end backboard, on the floor. We held it up as the other team shot their freethorows, and missed something like 4 of six, as Duke won a narrow victory. I also remember Tommy Emma looking over at us as he lined up along the lane and just shaking his head and smiling.

I understand that we got some play on the radio, and a brief glimspe on TV. Mostly it was just FUN. And I still claim partial credit for the win!! ;)

gus
08-19-2014, 12:12 PM
I was inexplicably willing to miss Duke-Maryland in the 2011 ACC Tournament to go on a second date. Ordinarily, that would have been a total non-option, but in that case, there were scheduling issues would have delayed the date another week if we didn't go then, and I really didn't want to wait that long. The woman I went on the date with is now my wife, so things worked out pretty well.

Did you tell your friends "I gotta go see about a girl"?

wilson
08-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Did you tell your friends "I gotta go see about a girl"?Hah, no...I deflected and obfuscated and then spilled the beans a couple of years later at my rehearsal dinner.

jv001
08-19-2014, 04:21 PM

Was this the Joe Belino led Navy team that Duke whipped? GoDuke!

Bostondevil
08-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Winning the last ever "Spirit Keg" at the final home football game in 1981 with the girls of AYCOCK. We made 6 signs, one with each letter, I was one of the 'C's.

Give me an 'A'! Give me a 'Y'! Give me a 'COCK'!

By the end of the game, the rest of the student section was cheering for us to win the keg. Except for G-A, our only real competition that day. They started throwing peanuts at us and cheering "Eat Our Nuts!" Clever, but not enough.

Will that cheer make it past the DBR censors? Also - does that fit the parameters of the question? We were cheering for the football team although I don't remember if they won! Ben Bennett was the quarterback and I'm pretty sure we went 6-5 that year, so maybe? I went and looked it up - it says the last home game was on November 21 against Carolina, a 10-31 loss. I don't remember it being Carolina. Maybe I've blocked that out because of the score.

sagegrouse
08-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Was this the Joe Belino led Navy team that Duke whipped? GoDuke!

Yep. This team won the ACC and beat Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl.

throatybeard
08-21-2014, 12:43 AM
I was at this game in the Dean Dome, in the Unc student section, waaay upper level. A Unc student I knew at the time threatened bodily harm because I was wearing my fashionable Duke basketball camp tshirt and yelling a lot. I made it out alive but hated their fans even more.

I always thought Duke would have won the title that year had Avery matured a little more quickly and supplanted Wojo. The Unc team was potentially great if they had developed their bench (Brendan Haywood, Max Owens). Instead Gut went with a 6-man starting lineup and didnt play anyone else much.

You could have come to the Great Hall and sung with us about gas-guzzling pickup trucks.

I went to the Dean Dome in 1997. I'm actually somewhat amazed I made it out alive.

Native
02-03-2015, 10:48 PM
I went to the Dean Dome in 1997. I'm actually somewhat amazed I made it out alive.

Went last season. Will not be returning. They are jerks.

nyesq83
02-03-2015, 11:09 PM
1995/09/09 Duke 24 - Rutgers 14 W Football game at the Meadowlands

Lawrence Taylor came up to us while we were walking near the concessions stands in the inner promenade.

He saw our Duke garb.

Asked us if we had any coke. Not the soft drink, the white powdery numbing substance.

"Dukies gotta have some!"

We respectfully apologized for not being the bearer of party favors of any kind.

"Oh no, LT. Say it ain't so!"

That put life into perspective...

Could have been the 1991, or 1993 game, but that would have meant he was still playing for the Giants on the next day, right?

nyesq83
02-03-2015, 11:28 PM
OK>Number 2:

Met Lou Carnesecca outside Miami Arena during law school in 1993 or 1994.

My law school classmate, Pete D'Alessandro, had been a manager of the St. John's basketball team.

We were ready to go inside but I spotted "Coach" - he had just retired and was at the game as a civilian.

Pete introduced me, then said, "He went to Duke."

Coach said "Awwwwwww why, I oughta" while mockingly drawing back his fist to punch me in the face.

He stopped and smiled: "Any friend of Pete's is a friend of mine!" and we shook hands. "Your guys always played us tough."

PS: Pete D. is now general manager of the Sacramento Kings.

Edouble
02-04-2015, 02:09 AM
Once, many a year ago... I was camping in Krzyzewskiville on a random Wednesday night, minding my own business, and all of the sudden Shammond Williams is all up in my face.

We chased him back to his car with a baseball bat.

Im4howdy
02-04-2015, 02:55 PM
I remember after a basketball game in the mid 70's, seeing an elementary school aged young man approach Bob Fleisher and ask him for an autograph. Bob squatted down closer to the boy's level and replied, "OK, but can I have yours too."

What a class guy.

Orange&BlackSheep
02-04-2015, 05:29 PM
In what I *think* was the Ga Tech-Duke battle in CIS in 1990, during the pre-game Dennis Scott was warming up taking some threes. After he made a few in a row, the crazies started waving him back. So he took a step back and made another. Crazies wave, Scott steps back and makes another. Crazies wave, Scott steps back again and makes it again. At this point he is damn near half court when someone throws a twinkie on the court right next to him. He looks down, shoots it again right next to the twinkie, swish. He then reaches down and grabs the twinkie, opens it, and puts the whole thing in his mouth. The crazies went crazy.

O&B Sheep

77devil
02-04-2015, 06:55 PM
I sat behind Sandy Koufax at the 1999 Duke vs. Temple regional final at the Meadowlands. Having been born and raised in LA until my family moved East, I was a big Dodgers and Koufax fan. I saw him pitch the no hitter against the Phillies at Connie Mack Stadium where he walked Richie Allen and immediately picked him off first.

When I asked him for his autograph, he was very gracious.

Oh, and I think Duke won too.

jmck214
02-04-2015, 07:54 PM
For me would have to be my trip to Charlotte in November 2008 to meet a friend who lived there and then we would go to our first Cameron game the next day. We went out that night before the game and my friend was good friends with one of Redick's best friends and he happened to be in town to play the Bobcats. We ended up meeting up with JJ and bar hoped in Charlotte all night.

throatybeard
02-04-2015, 09:22 PM

Totally. It's just not worth it, even when we win. Life is simply too short and fragile to spend any of it dealing with them. Good on you for digesting this at an early age.

Duvall
02-04-2015, 09:25 PM
Well, there was the time Dick Brodhead compared Mike Krzyzewski to Pioneer 10. (What?)

LastRowFan
02-04-2015, 11:25 PM
Bald Head Island a few years back. At the pool, one of those fancy places where they provide towels. There was a family wearing Kentucky clothes, with the Dad wearing a Kentucky Basketball shirt.
On their way out of the pool, Kentucky Basketball dad chucks a towel from some distance at the towel receptacle. Just short.

I could not help myself: "Laettner would have made it."

Kentucky dad: "Yes, he would have. He did."

I look at their pool bag: Family name written in marker on the bag: Rupp.

He was very gracious with my trash talk.

jasoninchina
02-05-2015, 12:54 AM
My memory took place the Saturday before Thanksgiving, 2005 (I think that was the year). My father was a physician at Virginia Tech at the time. Being a big sports fan like I am (and an admirer of Duke though not a fan) he graciously decided to get two tickets to CIS from a physician at Duke he knew.

I remember we beat Davidson by about 30 that afternoon. While it was great to watch my one and only game in Cameron, it was made better because I was watching it with one of my best friends!

Oh, and Shelden Williams was dominant as usual that day; JJ was JJ, too. All in all it was a perfect day!

Edouble
02-05-2015, 01:20 AM
My memory took place the Saturday before Thanksgiving, 2005 (I think that was the year). My father was a physician at Virginia Tech at the time. Being a big sports fan like I am (and an admirer of Duke though not a fan) he graciously decided to get two tickets to CIS from a physician at Duke he knew.

I remember we beat Davidson by about 30 that afternoon. While it was great to watch my one and only game in Cameron, it was made better because I was watching it with one of my best friends!

Oh, and Shelden Williams was dominant as usual that day; JJ was JJ, too. All in all it was a perfect day!

Looks like 2005 was the year. Goduke has Shelden with 20, 10, 9 blocks, and 2 steals that afternoon.

Sidenote: Can't believe that team was almost 10 years ago!

jasoninchina
02-05-2015, 01:30 AM
Looks like 2005 was the year. Goduke has Shelden with 20, 10, 9 blocks, and 2 steals that afternoon.

Sidenote: Can't believe that team was almost 10 years ago!

Thanks, Edouble! It is hard to believe that was nine seasons ago. Didn't that squad make it to the Sweet 16 of the NCAAT?

DukieInKansas
02-05-2015, 04:26 AM
1988 Final Four - was driving down to an alumni meeting and drove past John Chaney, Temple coach. Got a thumbs up from him when he saw my license plare- BLUDEVL
Still have that license on a Duke blue car.

killerleft
02-05-2015, 11:29 AM

I've seen Duke play five games in the Dean Dome (all in the eighties). We won them all. Two were not against Carolina. Dean got very, very pissed when the NCAA made his Heels go somewhere else and Duke played our first and second round tournament games there. I thoroughly enjoyed them all. Nobody offerred me any whine and cheese, true. But the total deflation of the place far outweighs the negatives. Now, Reynolds Coliseum was a zoo, had food, ice and coins thrown at us, but Duke won there, too.:) If anybody senses a common theme here, and wants to donate tickets for Duke games at Chapel Hill and Raleigh, feel free! I love being behind enemy lines, baby! The key for me is to never respond (well, pretend I didn't hear, really) to the ugliness, just pick and choose your times to make unrelated comments that nonetheless cut deep. Ah, the smell of indignant Tar Heels in the morn... well, anytime.;)

OldPhiKap
02-05-2015, 11:44 AM
I've seen Duke play five games in the Dean Dome (all in the eighties). We won them all. Two were not against Carolina. Dean got very, very pissed when the NCAA made his Heels go somewhere else and Duke played our first and second round tournament games there. I thoroughly enjoyed them all. Nobody offerred me any whine and cheese, true. But the total deflation of the place far outweighs the negatives. Now, Reynolds Coliseum was a zoo, had food, ice and coins thrown at us, but Duke won there, too.:) If anybody senses a common theme here, and wants to donate tickets for Duke games at Chapel Hill and Raleigh, feel free! I love being behind enemy lines, baby! The key for me is to never respond (well, pretend I didn't hear, really) to the ugliness, just pick and choose your times to make unrelated comments that nonetheless cut deep. Ah, the smell of indignant Tar Heels in the morn... well, anytime.;)

One of my fondest memories involves those NCAA games (1988 IIRC), when we played at the Deann Dome and UNC got shipped out west to play Loyola Marymount (that Hank Gathers year IIRC). Nothing like the Dean Dome full of dark blue, chanting "GTH,C" and "ES,DS,ES" then going over to He's Not Here.

throatybeard
02-05-2015, 12:08 PM
One of my fondest memories involves those NCAA games (1988 IIRC), when we played at the Deann Dome and UNC got shipped out west to play Loyola Marymount (that Hank Gathers year IIRC). Nothing like the Dean Dome full of dark blue, chanting "GTH,C" and "ES,DS,ES" then going over to He's Not Here.

Gathers died in 1990. He would have been a sophomore in 1987-88.

Tom B.
02-05-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks, Edouble! It is hard to believe that was nine seasons ago. Didn't that squad make it to the Sweet 16 of the NCAAT?

Here's the box score (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20051119) for that game against Davidson.

And yes, that Duke team made it to the Sweet 16, where it was upset by LSU. That one still stings.

OldPhiKap
02-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Gathers died in 1990. He would have been a sophomore in 1987-88.

Thanks, you are right. In 1988 we played at the Dean Dome, and UNC was shipped to Salt Lake City. They did play Loyola Marymount (second round). But two years before the Gathers tragedy.

kmspeaks
02-05-2015, 08:05 PM
My sister (a Virginia fan), brother-in-law, and I drove down to Charlottesville Saturday. We couldn't get tickets to the game but we did make it into JPJ for College Gameday. I was decked out in Duke blue and hoping to get a picture with Jay (Williams and/or Bilas). Even though the Gameday crew was very amicable and the guys were hanging around after the show talking to fans and taking pictures the rather rude event staff at UVA were hustling people out of there, so no picture for me :(. We were stopped at a red light a couple miles away from campus when I look to my left and Jay Williams was in the car beside us! When I showed him my Duke sweatshirt he rolled down the window and talked with us until the light turned green. He's a funny guy. My quick thinking brother-in-law in the back seat even managed to get a video of some of the conversation. It made that 2 hour trip more than worth it.