PDA

View Full Version : Providence Storm 84 UNC 83

left_hook_lacey
08-15-2014, 08:11 PM
And the hits just keep on coming for our friends down the road.

I know I know. It's just a preseason game. But Ohio State beat this same Providence team by 40+ points just a couple weeks ago. That's gotta sting a little, no?

CarmenWallaceWade
08-15-2014, 08:19 PM
I know I know. It's just a preseason game.

Regardless, we should never miss an opportunity to make fun of these guys falling short of expectations (which continue to get lower by the day). Today we salute you, Storm of Providence.

sagegrouse
08-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Lessee... Ohio State 115, Providence Storm 63

UNC 83, Providence Storm 84

Boy! Ohio State is really good!

BigWayne
08-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Lessee... Ohio State 115, Providence Storm 63

UNC 83, Providence Storm 84

Boy! Ohio State is really good!

According to one article: Two of the Storm's top three scorers Friday didn't play in the team's 115-63 loss to Ohio State earlier this month.
But who the heck are these guys anyway? Is it like a club team of random Bahamians?

roywhite
08-15-2014, 09:53 PM
What an unexpected pleasure. Wasn't aware the Heels were out and playing, and then to learn this:

ACC Basketball: UNC loses its Bahamas exhibition opener to the Providence Storm (http://www.fayobserver.com/blogs/sports/acc_basketball/acc-basketball-unc-loses-its-bahamas-exhibition-opener-to-the/article_7aa87272-24d9-11e4-8911-001a4bcf6878.html)

The Tar Heels were 3-for-25 from 3-point range and 8-for-19 from the line. Brice Johnson started but played only seven minutes, sitting out after he sprained his right ankle in the second quarter, and fellow power forward Isaiah Hicks unofficially had a team-high 13 points on 6-for-9 shooting from the field

Tarheel shooting problems again; a repeat theme for 2014-15?

awhom111
08-16-2014, 01:02 AM
According to one article: Two of the Storm's top three scorers Friday didn't play in the team's 115-63 loss to Ohio State earlier this month.
But who the heck are these guys anyway? Is it like a club team of random Bahamians?

Not even a real club team. Just a group of residents of the Bahamas who were available to play a few games. There are a couple high schoolers (including one who could be making an NBA impact at some point... in 2020), a couple of lower level collegians, and some guys on their offseason break from overseas play.

FerryFor50
08-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Sounds like the optimal UNC season has begun!

arnie
08-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Not even a real club team. Just a group of residents of the Bahamas who were available to play a few games. There are a couple high schoolers (including one who could be making an NBA impact at some point... in 2020), a couple of lower level collegians, and some guys on their offseason break from overseas play.

Sounds like Roy over scheduled his young team too early. Maybe should have played a local junior high team first.

dukelifer
08-16-2014, 07:58 AM
That 2014 Bahamian Exhibition Tourney Championship banner would have looked great next to the 2010 NIT second place banner - but it wasn't meant to be.

77devil
08-16-2014, 11:12 AM
That 2014 Bahamian Exhibition Tourney Championship banner would have looked great next to the 2010 NIT second place banner - but it wasn't meant to be.

And this one too.

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Love to see them hitting their stride early.

bbosbbos
08-16-2014, 11:22 AM
I do not respect any UNC sports since they cheat. However, your joke on Providence players is not funny at all. Tell me who the Mercer Bears are? Who are Lehigh?

peloton
08-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Bbosbbos, I didn't get the impression that BigWayne was making a joke about this Bahamian squad's ability to compete at all. The tone of his post indicates to me at least that he's genuinely curious as to the makeup of this team (especially in light of the fact that they beat the Tarheels).

davekay1971
08-16-2014, 12:00 PM
Seeing this thread was like finding a $20 bill in the laundry. It doesn't change my life, but it sure is an unexpected and pleasant surprise!

Native
08-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Bbosbbos, I didn't get the impression that BigWayne was making a joke about this Bahamian squad's ability to compete at all. The tone of his post indicates to me at least that he's genuinely curious as to the makeup of this team (especially in light of the fact that they beat the Tarheels).

Also, this isn't Providence like "formerly-of-the-Big-East" Providence. This was a different squad from the Bahamas of the same name.

Olympic Fan
08-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Apparently, Meeks got humiliated by a 15-year-old who is a rising soph in high school -- the guy went 18/15 against him (another source says the kid went 17/18).

The kid (I think his name is Ayton) has already been identified as a prospect in the Class of 2017.

Best line I heard (from a State fan): UNC has more McDonald's All-Americans -- six -- than McDonalds has restaurants in the Bahamas -- two!

Okay, I found the guy -- DeAndre Ayton, a 6-10 kid from Nassau in the Bahamas. He'll play his prep ball in San Diego this season. ESPN doesn't have them in their top 25 for the Class of 2017, but I think scout has him as the No. 1 guy in the class. Here's a video:

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/di6sH55ZfUeDkErfh88jAg/video--top-2017-basketball-prospect-deandre-ayton.htm

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-16-2014, 04:50 PM
I put on my hazmat suit and checked IC for a second. The really funny part is seeing them sweat in advance of the second Bahamas game.

Please, if there is a basketball god, let them lose a second time. Amen.

Troublemaker
08-16-2014, 05:03 PM

I do not respect any UNC sports since they cheat. However, your joke on Providence players is not funny at all. Tell me who the Mercer Bears are? Who are Lehigh?

Also, just because Duke lost a couple of first-round games doesn't mean Duke fans shouldn't take some delight/schadenfreude at UNC losing to a Bahamian club team. I mean, c'mon.

devildeac
08-16-2014, 05:53 PM
Must have been the Caribbean refs...

:rolleyes:

JasonEvans
08-16-2014, 06:18 PM
If they are in the Bahamas, does that mean Ole Roy has to run over his players with a boat or will there be a bus available there too?

Tripping William
08-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Did Roy take a side trip to Haiti? Ya know, to give an "I told you so" to his masseuse?

BD80
08-16-2014, 08:16 PM
If they are in the Bahamas, does that mean Ole Roy has to run over his players with a boat ...?

Golf cart.

ol' roy was so dadgum upset that he only played nine holes yesterday.

Tom B.
08-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Apparently, Meeks got humiliated by a 15-year-old who is a rising soph in high school -- the guy went 18/15 against him (another source says the kid went 17/18).

Now that is impressive. :)

blueduke59
08-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Too bad PJ wasn't on the team. He coulda just beat up that kid that unloaded on them.

PSurprise
08-16-2014, 09:55 PM
Too bad PJ wasn't on the team. He coulda just beat up that kid that unloaded on them.

If anyone knows a thing or two about unloading, it's PJ

BigWayne
08-17-2014, 03:25 AM

Mercer Bears and Lehigh are university teams. The only mention on the internet of a Providence Storm basketball team other than this tournament is a Christian Academy in Lilburn GA. My question was in the vein of how a power 5 conference team lost to what seems to be a team of guys that gets assembled by group text message or something.

Olympic Fan
08-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Now that is impressive. :)

That's 18 points, 15 rebounds

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Sounds like the optimal UNC season has begun!

To be clear, as the poster who started the poll, I would accept any of the listed options in 2014-2015.

MChambers
08-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Best line I heard (from a State fan): UNC has more McDonald's All-Americans -- six -- than McDonalds has restaurants in the Bahamas -- two!
I'm betting Kennedy Meeks found both restaurants.

slower
08-17-2014, 03:27 PM

As others have already implied, you seem to have misunderstood the post that has you so agitated.

Tom B.
08-17-2014, 05:17 PM
That's 18 points, 15 rebounds

Ah, that makes sense. My bad.

CharlestonDevil
08-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Sounds like Roy over scheduled his young team too early. Maybe should have played a local junior high team first.

Roy tried, but the junior high team was too busy going to CLASS

jipops
08-17-2014, 08:51 PM
I'm betting Kennedy Meeks found both restaurants.

Apparently you've missed this. (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/26/post-weight-loss-kennedy-meeks-throws-down-windmill-video/)

royalblue
08-18-2014, 03:20 AM
For those who did not already celebrate this weekend
Recipe for 8 Bahama Mama's
1/2 cup rum
1/2 cup coconut flavored rum
1/2 cup grenadine
1 cup OJ
1 cup pineapple juice
8 cups of crushed ice
uncch 3-25 from 3 point range
uncch 8-19 from the line
Stir and enjoy

Duvall
08-18-2014, 07:56 AM
Apparently you've missed this. (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/26/post-weight-loss-kennedy-meeks-throws-down-windmill-video/)

He may have been speculating that getting severely outplayed by a high school student sent Meeks off the wagon.

johnb
08-18-2014, 05:33 PM
It's tough to win games when you shoot 8 for 19 from the free throw line and 12% from the three point line.

May these be harbingers of things to come...

left_hook_lacey
08-18-2014, 07:13 PM
The full games are up on youtube to watch now if anyone is interested. They have them posted by quarter. I would post the links, but I'm at work, and I'm lazy.

The UNC fans in my area were all giddy about the Tar-Heels "bouncing back" in the second game.

Um, take a few minutes to look at the difference in the size and ability of the two teams when you get chance. The "Bahama All-Stars" only dressed 7 players. And of those, only 2 or 3 looked like actual legit talent. There's even a mini-me version of Shawn May out there when Shawn was at his, ahem, healthiest I'll say. This kid did nothing but run around and set screens for others. He obviously got the majority of the Sub help from the bench. All both of them.

I think my junior year 2A highschool team could have beaten these guys, hands down(which is, ironically, how UNC plays defense).

After watching the video of these games, I'm a little more confident that the loss wasn't a fluke. Of the clips I watched, Roy was playing his best players, so it wasn't like it was senior night with a bunch of pine shiners getting a lot of run.

blueduke59
08-18-2014, 09:12 PM
Didn't one of the players who played vs UNC in game one also a member of the band? Heard a friend say the kid played in the band at halftime of that game and played in the game after halftime.

Ichabod Drain
08-19-2014, 02:06 PM
I think UNC has the potential to be really good this year. Having said that, please check out the competition they had in the game they won. It's hard to believe they flew all the way down to the Bahamas to lose a game and win a game in which the could have found better competition at the Chapel Hill YMCA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXWE4qEPQB0

FerryFor50
08-19-2014, 03:02 PM
I think UNC has the potential to be really good this year. Having said that, please check out the competition they had in the game they won. It's hard to believe they flew all the way down to the Bahamas to lose a game and win a game in which the could have found better competition at the Chapel Hill YMCA.

Uh, I believe you are discounting the real reason one goes to the Bahamas. (hint: it's not for basketball)

Think you could find this at the Chapel Hill YMCA?

On a side note... why does the NCAA allow this? It's basically a vacation with an illusion of basketball. It makes sense when teams play in places with ACTUAL basketball teams (like when Duke went to China), but this?

Also, why would UNC, with all the scandal/attention around athletics, do ANYTHING that could have a scent of impropriety?

Ichabod Drain
08-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Uh, I believe you are discounting the real reason one goes to the Bahamas. (hint: it's not for basketball)

On a side note... why does the NCAA allow this? It's basically a vacation with an illusion of basketball. It makes sense when teams play in places with ACTUAL basketball teams (like when Duke went to China), but this?

Also, why would UNC, with all the scandal/attention around athletics, do ANYTHING that could have a scent of impropriety?

Kentucky went to the Bahamas and played some actual basketball teams. i believe the rule is a team gets to do this once every four years correct? Seems like UNC kind of wasted their opportunity.

FerryFor50
08-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Kentucky went to the Bahamas and played some actual basketball teams. i believe the rule is a team gets to do this once every four years correct? Seems like UNC kind of wasted their opportunity.

Right, which makes UNC's trip even more of a sham. Kentucky managed to find teams to play. I'm betting those same teams would not have been opposed to playing UNC, especially if they knew that the Providence Storm could take them down. :D

Duvall
08-19-2014, 03:54 PM

To be fair, that does look like good preparation for Clemson's next trip to Chapel Hill.

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-19-2014, 04:07 PM

If heels had any shame, they'd be embarrassed by all this. But, well...

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-19-2014, 04:46 PM
IC quotes from bahamas game 2 thread...

Re: ICTV: Bahamas Game 2 Highlights
I didn't see any players on Bahamian bench...? Did they only have 5 players?

their truck broke down on the way to the gym per IC. 5 players were there at tip off, they ended up with 7 players total

Couldn't they find better competition outside at Granville Towers?

So we lost to a high school team, then crush another team wirh 5 players and next we're in the Final 4!

BD80
08-19-2014, 06:58 PM

Wow. Aren't we cynical.

I'll have you know that ol' roy had his team hittin' the books as hard in the Bahamas (in the SUMMER mind you) as they will at ANY time during the school year.

duketaylor
08-19-2014, 08:44 PM
What a wonderful treat this is for the middle of August!! unc already showing their lack of game and talent. Nice start to the very near beginning of Fall and eventual hoops!! 9F, 9F, 9F!!!!

Acymetric
08-19-2014, 10:55 PM

In what world is that a "windmill" dunk? Not your words obviously, but the video title is severely misleading.

Ichabod Drain
08-20-2014, 08:09 AM
In what world is that a "windmill" dunk? Not your words obviously, but the video title is severely misleading.

I'm pretty impressed with Meeks, he can now fit three saltine crackers under his feet when he jumps as opposed to only two last year. I mean that's a 50% increase guys!

JasonEvans
08-20-2014, 09:04 AM

First of all, these trips are so common among the big programs that I doubt there is even a mild scent of impropriety here. Duke was a pioneer for these trips several years ago but at this point everyone does it. No one thinks there is anything wrong with this trip.

And if you recall the Duke trip to China a few years ago, it too was largely a tourist vacation with a few basketball interludes.
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/HU/HURTIMAMLUIIGEL.20110823075157.jpg

Yes, these kind of trips are a bit of a boondoggle for the team and feel like a "rich school" perk to reward players with perks. But, one could argue that team building is about more than being on the court together and education is about more than what you experience in the classroom.

-Jason "I've got no problem with Carolina going to the beach and playing some ill-prepared opponents in a couple exhibition games. In the long run of the season, I doubt it matters much at all" Evans

Henderson
08-20-2014, 09:32 AM

The kid is 6-9, and he needs a carefully planned, long runup, with no opposition to dunk a basketball?

FerryFor50
08-20-2014, 09:54 AM
First of all, these trips are so common among the big programs that I doubt there is even a mild scent of impropriety here. Duke was a pioneer for these trips several years ago but at this point everyone does it. No one thinks there is anything wrong with this trip.

And if you recall the Duke trip to China a few years ago, it too was largely a tourist vacation with a few basketball interludes.
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/HU/HURTIMAMLUIIGEL.20110823075157.jpg

Yes, these kind of trips are a bit of a boondoggle for the team and feel like a "rich school" perk to reward players with perks. But, one could argue that team building is about more than being on the court together and education is about more than what you experience in the classroom.

-Jason "I've got no problem with Carolina going to the beach and playing some ill-prepared opponents in a couple exhibition games. In the long run of the season, I doubt it matters much at all" Evans

Right, but my point was that Duke went to China and played actual basketball teams. Kentucky went to the Bahamas and played actual basketball teams.

Carolina went to the Bahamas and played pick up games.

It's diluting the point behind these trips a bit and is a little more transparent. I have no issues with the kids having a good time on their trips; that's what they're for. But it would be like me taking a work trip and saying I was working when I was really just watching cat videos the whole time.

Ichabod Drain
08-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Right, but my point was that Duke went to China and played actual basketball teams. Kentucky went to the Bahamas and played actual basketball teams.

Carolina went to the Bahamas and played pick up games.

It's diluting the point behind these trips a bit and is a little more transparent. I have no issues with the kids having a good time on their trips; that's what they're for. But it would be like me taking a work trip and saying I was working when I was really just watching cat videos the whole time.

I'm not sure why you're so worried about it. I'd rather them play bad teams and not learn anything from it. And unless your job involves watching some form of cat videos... I don't see the connection.

FerryFor50
08-20-2014, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure why you're so worried about it. I'd rather them play bad teams and not learn anything from it. And unless your job involves watching some form of cat videos... I don't see the connection.

"Worried about it" and "explaining my point" are two different things.

I'm not worried about it - I just think it's silly and transparent.

Henderson
08-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Maybe this was one of those money-makers for the UNC-CH athletic department. You know, like when Ohio State opens its football season against St. Anselm's School for Anorexic Girls. The lesser team takes its lumps in exchange for a big check. I wonder how UNC-CH and Providence (Bahamas) split the gate and what UNC's cut ended up being. There must have been at least two dozen people there. A bit fewer if you don't count the players and coaches.

Henderson
08-20-2014, 10:35 AM
I have no issues with the kids having a good time on their trips; that's what they're for. But it would be like me taking a work trip and saying I was working when I was really just watching cat videos the whole time.

Better analogy: Going on a work trip, playing video games against a cat, and losing half the time. And oh what that cat could do if it had opposable thumbs...

FerryFor50
08-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Better analogy: Going on a work trip, playing video games against a cat, and losing half the time.

Well played, sir. And apropos!

OldPhiKap
08-20-2014, 11:18 AM
UNC under Roy traditionally starts poorly but gets better. While this is fun, it has no bearing on how they will do in the season.

Meeks has potential. I am certainly not in a position to make fun of someone's weight.

GTH,C. Go Duke.

sagegrouse
08-20-2014, 11:36 AM
UNC under Roy traditionally starts poorly but gets better. While this is fun, it has no bearing on how they will do in the season.

Meeks has potential. I am certainly not in a position to make fun of someone's weight.

GTH,C. Go Duke.

The most important thing about UNC losing to an unknown team in August is that it provides a week of entertainment for us here at DBR. And then to play and win against a team that apparently was a pickup squad with only five players in uniform at the tip-off is the icing on the cake.

OldPhiKap
08-20-2014, 02:49 PM
The most important thing about UNC losing to an unknown team in August is that it provides a week of entertainment for us here at DBR. And then to play and win against a team that apparently was a pickup squad with only five players in uniform at the tip-off is the icing on the cake.

True enough. I guess the injuries to the football team have me grumpy.

flyingdutchdevil
08-20-2014, 03:43 PM

Is there a rule in China stating that every Plumlee must be shirtless?

Henderson
08-20-2014, 05:39 PM

Safety measure. That way if one of them gets separated from the group he'll stick out among the Chinese population and be easier to spot in a crowd.

weezie
08-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Regardless, we should never miss an opportunity to make fun of these guys falling short of expectations (which continue to get lower by the day). Today we salute you, Storm of Providence.

I like the cut of milkbone's gib.....

wilson
08-20-2014, 09:14 PM
Safety measure. That way if one of them gets separated from the group he'll stick out among the Chinese population and be easier to spot in a crowd....because otherwise, they're totally indistinguishable from the locals.

BD80
08-20-2014, 09:54 PM

Safety measure. That way if one of them gets separated from the group he'll stick out among the Chinese population and be easier to spot in a crowd.

...because otherwise, they're totally indistinguishable from the locals.

I thought Plumtrees were rather ubiquitous in China?

blUDAYvil
08-22-2014, 12:59 PM
I thought Plumtrees were rather ubiquitous in China?

Laozi must have been talking about the Plumlees when he said "a journey of a thousand Miles begins with a single drop step"