PDA

View Full Version : Most Hated College Basketball Team in Each State

Bluedog
08-12-2014, 11:55 AM
I found this mildly entertaining...Someone on reddit conducted a survey about the most "hated" college basketball team in each state:

Not surprisingly, we are the most represented school on the map, taking some states in ACC country (Virginia, Maryland, DC), SEC country (South Carolina, Louisiana, Alabama), the upper Mountain West (Dakotas, Idaho, and Montana - not much basketball fandom going on there) as well as NJ, VT, NH. According to the survey results, at least UNC is the most hated in its own state! (Thank you Duke, State, and Wake fans...) Kentucky went for Louisville over us and Connecticut went to Syracuse, though.

http://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/2d94p1/here_are_the_results_for_the_most_hated_college/
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/the-five-biggest-surprises-from-the-college-hoops-hate-map-232404472.html

JasonEvans
08-12-2014, 12:39 PM
I adore and relish this kind of thing. You only get to be hated all over the place if you are consistently among the best. If you look at the map, Duke is the only school that transcends regional boundaries. Sure, folks in Texas hate Kansas -- the schools are rivals and they are right next to each other. Sure, Michigan hates Ohio State. Duke is the only school that extends into multiple other regions (NE and upper Midwest) in addition to being hated by our natural regional rivals.

There is Duke and then there is everyone else because we are the standard that others try to be. I love it!!

-Jason "sorta like the Grantland bracket of most hated college basketball players... that had an entire region for nothing but Duke players" Evans

BlueTeuf
08-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Here in Central, NY - there's a fair amount of head scratching on why Maine would "hate" on Syracuse.

sagegrouse
08-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Here in Central, NY - there's a fair amount of head scratching on why Maine would "hate" on Syracuse.

Because there are only two college grads in the survey and both went to UConn?

sagegrouse
08-12-2014, 12:57 PM
BTW, is there a table somewhere for those of us with impaired cognition? If not, then who the heck does Colorado hate?

Also, BTW, don't take these results too seriously for the states of Washington and Colorado. We know what they're smoking, we just don't know when.

Des Esseintes
08-12-2014, 01:01 PM
BTW, is there a table somewhere for those of us with impaired cognition? If not, then who the heck does Colorado hate?

Also, BTW, don't take these results too seriously for the states of Washington and Colorado. We know what they're smoking, we just don't know when.

Looks like Colorado most hates Arizona State, which I agree makes little sense.

Bluedog
08-12-2014, 01:06 PM
I doubt the survey method used meets the standards that are required for a scientific research paper (sample size, randomness, etc.). So, I would expect at least a few strange results....Colorado hating Arizona State is probably one of those. And, yes, I agree a listing instead of a map would be nice, but I don't see that anywhere.

-bdbd
08-12-2014, 01:10 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/08/12/yep-maryland-and-virginia-still-really-hate-duke/?wpisrc=nl_sports&wpmm=1

Washington Post article highlighting that "Maryland and Virginia still hate Duke."

I agree, this sort of thing is to be relished. Nobody hates on a downtrodden program. Am a little puzzled why we'd win out in Montana, and the Dakotas, but whatever... The other obvious thing is that the survey numbers are pretty small, so ballot-box-stuffing certainly goes on. Just a few haters can really affect the map in less-populous states.

I like this though.

sagegrouse
08-12-2014, 01:19 PM
I adore and relish this kind of thing. You only get to be hated all over the place if you are consistently among the best. If you look at the map, Duke is the only school that transcends regional boundaries. Sure, folks in Texas hate Kansas -- the schools are rivals and they are right next to each other. Sure, Michigan hates Ohio State. Duke is the only school that extends into multiple other regions (NE and upper Midwest) in addition to being hated by our natural regional rivals.

There is Duke and then there is everyone else because we are the standard that others try to be. I love it!!

-Jason "sorta like the Grantland bracket of most hated college basketball players... that had an entire region for nothing but Duke players" Evans

Perhaps this will be followed up by a map of the most-liked college basketball teams. In that case, I expect much of the map will be Duke blue. Most of the casual fans in my town -- almost all from somewhere else -- like Duke.

wilson
08-12-2014, 01:22 PM
"Oderint dum metuant."

Dev11
08-12-2014, 01:40 PM
I didn't realize that Wyoming was full of ex-pats from the shores of Lake Michigan.

This map is weird.

JasonEvans
08-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Perhaps this will be followed up by a map of the most-liked college basketball teams. In that case, I expect much of the map will be Duke blue. Most of the casual fans in my town -- almost all from somewhere else -- like Duke.

Well, I would imagine that hometown teams would win every state in a "most liked" contest. But, if you told folks they could not vote for a team from their state, then I suspect we would see a very Duke blue map. There would likely be some Kentucky, UNC, and UCLA areas as well.

-Jason "I agree that, while it looks cool in areas, the nature of the map results make them hard to decypher... aside from the flyover states that are huge and sparsely populated" Evans

budwom
08-12-2014, 02:26 PM

College hoop interest in Maine is just about nonexistent...probably three guys voted and they all went to Georgetown.

Vermont's not exactly a hotbed either, but they have a legit gripe about last year's "loss" in Cameron...they feel they were robbed, and I
will concede they are right. But again, I imagine half a dozen people voted...

Papa John
08-12-2014, 02:29 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/08/12/yep-maryland-and-virginia-still-really-hate-duke/?wpisrc=nl_sports&wpmm=1

Washington Post article highlighting that "Maryland and Virginia still hate Duke."

And we still don't care... D'oh!

Duvall
08-12-2014, 02:30 PM
And we still don't care... D'oh!

Hey, I care. Just shows that the DC media market still cares about Duke and the ACC even after Maryland has left for the land of the ice and snow.

OldPhiKap
08-12-2014, 03:56 PM
. . . even after Maryland has left for the land of the ice and snow.

From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow?

sagegrouse
08-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Looks like Colorado most hates Arizona State, which I agree makes little sense.

I doubt the survey method used meets the standards that are required for a scientific research paper (sample size, randomness, etc.). So, I would expect at least a few strange results....Colorado hating Arizona State is probably one of those. And, yes, I agree a listing instead of a map would be nice, but I don't see that anywhere.

Aha! Now I remember! The Colorado hatred of Arizona State began with this perceived screw job (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-01-03/controversial-3-pointer-in-arizona-colorado-game-just-one-of-many-questionable-c) in January 2013. No, I am totally wrong -- that was a CU-Zona game in Tucson. Well, who knows -- maybe Herb Sendek is wanted for murder in Colorado or something??????

gurufrisbee
08-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Speaking as a resident here in Washington (the state), the results were pretty easy to guess.

IN our state it usually breaks down between UW and WSU, but now Gonzaga fans hate UW too because UW has been dodging playing them for almost a decade now.

Oregon is also a pretty big rival with Washington and especially in hoops since Oregon State has been bad for a long time.

Idaho has a lot of Washington State alums and no real strong interests.

What is interesting for me to note on these is if states are voting to hate a team because of a rivalry (NC) or if it's just because of sad jealousy of that team (basically every state voting for Duke).

lotusland
08-12-2014, 04:49 PM
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow?

ahhh ahhh ahhh AHHH!

lotusland
08-12-2014, 04:59 PM
I hate UNC when I'm happy, sad, angry, confused and every other state

OldPhiKap
08-12-2014, 05:39 PM
ahhh ahhh ahhh AHHH!

"There's a Turtle who's sure
all that glitters is gold
and it's climbing a stairway
to Rutgers.

When it gets there, it knows
if the campus is closed
with a word, it can get
to Wisconsin.

I-o-Waaaaaaa, Neh heh eh braska
to Rutgers."

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-12-2014, 05:42 PM
ahhh ahhh ahhh AHHH!

Hammer of the gods....
Drive our ships to new lands....

Yay for offseason threadjacks!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-12-2014, 05:45 PM
to Rutgers.

if the campus is closed
with a word, it can get
to Wisconsin.

to Rutgers."

Time to cue "Here's a Turtle" to ask why will talk about our nonrival UM.

Any Zep thread is okay with me.

If there's a turtle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed son,

He's just searching for easy games...

Oooooooooh

And it makes me wonder....

burnspbesq
08-12-2014, 06:52 PM

I would have expected all the Bowdoin, Bates, and Colby grads to gang up on Williams.

OldPhiKap
08-12-2014, 07:27 PM
I would have expected all the Bowdoin, Bates, and Colby grads to gang up on Williams.

The. Spanish hate The Maine, that's why they blew it up in Havana Harbor in 1898.

devildeac
08-12-2014, 10:09 PM

I agree, this sort of thing is to be relished. Nobody hates on a downtrodden program. Am a little puzzled why we'd win out in Montana, and the Dakotas, but whatever... The other obvious thing is that the survey numbers are pretty small, so ballot-box-stuffing certainly goes on. Just a few haters can really affect the map in less-populous states.

I like this though.

Maryland still hates Duke? WTH? Why not Iowa or Michigan?:o:rolleyes:

devildeac
08-12-2014, 10:15 PM
to Rutgers.

if the campus is closed
with a word, it can get
to Wisconsin.

to Rutgers."

Time to cue "Here's a Turtle" to ask why will talk about our nonrival UM.

Any Zep thread is okay with me.

If there's a turtle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed son,

He's just searching for easy games...

Oooooooooh

And it makes me wonder....

Sporks for Mountain Devil but none for OPK cuz the software wouldn't let me:(. Maybe with his next Dylan or Grateful Dead reference. Dang, couldn't do it on the Ymm, beer thread either when he was telling me to greet August West with a hello from Pearly Baker. Or something like that.

OldPhiKap
08-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Sporks for Mountain Devil but none for OPK cuz the software wouldn't let me:(. Maybe with his next Dylan or Grateful Dead reference. Dang, couldn't do it on the Ymm, beer thread either when he was telling me to greet August West with a hello from Pearly Baker. Or something like that.

"How does it feel?
To be out on your own?
Like a complete unknown?
With no direction home?
Twerps are now all alone"

Papa John
08-12-2014, 10:48 PM
"How does it feel?
To be out on your own?
Like a complete unknown?
With no direction home?
Twerps are now all alone"

Maryland left last week
And now they're buried in the rocks,
But everybody still talks about
How badly they were shocked.
But me, I expected it to happen,
I knew they'd lost control
When they built a fire on Main Street
And shot it full of holes.
Oh, Mama, can this really be the end,
To be stuck inside of College Park
With the ACC blues again.

OldPhiKap
08-12-2014, 10:57 PM
Maryland left last week
And now they're buried in the rocks,
But everybody still talks about
How badly they were shocked.
But me, I expected it to happen,
I knew they'd lost control
When they built a fire on Main Street
And shot it full of holes.
Oh, Mama, can this really be the end,
To be stuck inside of College Park
With the ACC blues again.

Bob Dylan and Bob Weir both approve! (And hope Bobby W. is okay, he cancelled all of his shows for the rest of the year -- not good news).

Saratoga2
08-13-2014, 12:00 PM
I recently moved from upstate NY to western NC and have been retired for quite a while.

Schools I hate would have to start with UCONN, Kentucky and Syracuse, all because of the coaches and the cheap tricks. UNC has both the unsavory practices and the unlikable coach so fits well with this crowd. Finding fault with Kansas would be like finding fault with Duke. Both produce fine teams every year and generally stay within the rules.

With Direct TV I get ESPNU so have noticed Kentucky getting all the Kudos of late as they are playing in the Bahamas. Looks like their smallest starting player will be 6'5" and they have 4 around 6'11". Too bad one team can have so much.Makes you wonder why kids go there.

JasonEvans
08-13-2014, 12:07 PM
SI.com has their own take (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/08/11/college-basketball-hate-map)on this map. It is sorta funny, but sorta obvious too.

-Jason

greybeard
08-13-2014, 01:20 PM
I don't think any reason to believe that basketball not popular participation and fan sport in Vermont and Maine (think the Vermont program suggests that sport has import there). Also, can see that Syracuse's "need" to be Big Time and the extent and way Boeheim has pursued it does not fit the ethos of the Region, Upstate New York included. Also, Big East in general, especially in early years, did not sit well many places; Georgetown especially and Syracuse not far behind, only because of lower profile--Big Bad John.

tommy
08-13-2014, 01:45 PM
I don't think any reason to believe that basketball not popular participation and fan sport in Vermont and Maine (think the Vermont program suggests that sport has import there). Also, can see that Syracuse's "need" to be Big Time and the extent and way Boeheim has pursued it does not fit the ethos of the Region, Upstate New York included. Also, Big East in general, especially in early years, did not sit well many places; Georgetown especially and Syracuse not far behind, only because of lower profile--Big Bad John.

Hmm. Since 1982, Syracuse has not been lower than fourth in basketball attendance in the nation. In those 33 years, they've been either first or second an incredible 29 times. Last year, they led the nation in attendance with an average of over 26,000 per game, more than 3,000 more than the second place program, which was Kentucky. Their average last year was the highest in the history of NCAA basketball attendance records. Seems to me like there's something about college basketball, and the way Boeheim has pursued it in upstate New York, that fits in very well with the ethos of the region.

greybeard
08-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Hmm. Since 1982, Syracuse has not been lower than fourth in basketball attendance in the nation. In those 33 years, they've been either first or second an incredible 29 times. Last year, they led the nation in attendance with an average of over 26,000 per game, more than 3,000 more than the second place program, which was Kentucky. Their average last year was the highest in the history of NCAA basketball attendance records. Seems to me like there's something about college basketball, and the way Boeheim has pursued it in upstate New York, that fits in very well with the ethos of the region.

The Syracuse area is an anomaly, which was my point.

greybeard
08-14-2014, 04:26 PM
An extremely well-produced piece aired last year that tells the story behind the Big East, how it was birthed and rose to prominence, with the Georgetown-Syracuse galactic wars leading the way. I learned things that I never really grasped that made me shake my head, gasp and laugh, really appreciate the men who made this thing of theirs happen. Don't think it was an ESPN piece; I'm thinking TNT.

OldPhiKap
08-14-2014, 04:38 PM
An extremely well-produced piece aired last year that tells the story behind the Big East, how it was birthed and rose to prominence, with the Georgetown-Syracuse galactic wars leading the way. I learned things that I never really grasped that made me shake my head, gasp and laugh, really appreciate the men who made this thing of theirs happen. Don't think it was an ESPN piece; I'm thinking TNT.

ESPN 30 for 30 had a Big East show that was excellent, not sure if that is what you are remembering or not.

jmck214
08-14-2014, 05:41 PM
I am in Mass and I don't think I've come across one person who hates Boston College up here so I don't know where they got that from. Most hated team is definitely Duke. Anytime I have any Duke apparel on I get somebody telling me "duke sucks."

BD80
08-14-2014, 08:58 PM
I am in Mass and I don't think I've come across one person who hates Boston College ...

Well duh. BC is a Jesuit institution affiliated with the Catholic Church (St Columbkille) in Boston. Doubt you'd find many haters while attending Mass.

Should you be posting during the service?

OldPhiKap
08-14-2014, 09:22 PM
Well duh. BC is a Jesuit institution affiliated with the Catholic Church (St Columbkille) in Boston. Doubt you'd find many haters while attending Mass.

Should you be posting during the service?

Tomorrow is a Holy Day of Obligation -- the Assumption of Mary. But I assume y'all know that.