PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Champions Classic

ChicagoCrazy84
08-05-2014, 07:07 PM
I was curious if anyone had any insight on this event this year, specifically ticket prices. I went to this last year in Chicago at the United Center and had an absolute blast and was looking forward to going this year too with buddies and driving down to Indy. I got my tickets from Duke last year and they were $65 a ticket for Upper Level tickets and now since becoming available for this year's games in Indianapolos, Duke says that Upper Level tickets are $117. I can't justify paying that for Upper Level tickets I was wondering if anyone knows why prices almost doubled for this year? It seems kind of ridiculous. If I knew I was getting really good seats, I would probably just shell it out because it was probably one of the best live sporting events I've been to, but I don't know what the school plans on getting or if I am high enough on the priortity list to get anything good.

Newton_14
08-05-2014, 08:34 PM
I was curious if anyone had any insight on this event this year, specifically ticket prices. I went to this last year in Chicago at the United Center and had an absolute blast and was looking forward to going this year too with buddies and driving down to Indy. I got my tickets from Duke last year and they were $65 a ticket for Upper Level tickets and now since becoming available for this year's games in Indianapolos, Duke says that Upper Level tickets are $117. I can't justify paying that for Upper Level tickets I was wondering if anyone knows why prices almost doubled for this year? It seems kind of ridiculous. If I knew I was getting really good seats, I would probably just shell it out because it was probably one of the best live sporting events I've been to, but I don't know what the school plans on getting or if I am high enough on the priortity list to get anything good.
That's wild because when it was in Atlanta against Kentucky Mason/Seth/Ryan Sr year it was $90 for lower level. Times they are a changing!

Henderson
08-05-2014, 08:38 PM

Upper Level Tickets, $117. A weekend in Indianapolis, priceless.

uh_no
08-05-2014, 08:43 PM

so long as we're not playing louisville, i think it a nice town

Bluedog
08-05-2014, 09:29 PM
so long as we're not playing louisville, i think it a nice town

Yes, watching that in person was not fun....Very hostile....

I haven't gotten an e-mail from Duke yet, but if that is the price, that's crazy high in my mind.

DU82
08-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Yes, watching that in person was not fun....Very hostile....

I haven't gotten an e-mail from Duke yet, but if that is the price, that's crazy high in my mind.

And the CVC Classic in Brooklyn is $63 for four games, two on Friday and two on Saturday (according to the ticket order section of goduke.com; I believe Iron Dukes only right now.)

Of course, in typical Duke ticket office fashion, they'll announce after everybody's ordered the tickets that they've suddenly received an allocation of better seats, at twice the cost, and will upgrade everybody automatically unless they opt out. (And who would, of course.)

Ichabod Drain
08-06-2014, 09:36 AM
That's wild because when it was in Atlanta against Kentucky Mason/Seth/Ryan Sr year it was $90 for lower level. Times they are a changing!

I had some really good seats that year but thankfully my dad needed something to get me for my birthday :D

dukejunkie
08-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Think games in Brooklyn are probably being subsidized to get more events there. Plus, the other teams really won't draw anybody. Other marquee games look like a pure money grab. UConn game at IZOD (pit in NJ) seems ridiculous. Only seats available initially are nosebleeds at $80.70. Upper deck is 106.30. Lower level starts at 143.10 if can somehow get. I understand these are big opportunities to make revenue but it seems out of whack. This isn't the Final Four. It's not even a tournament. It's a Thursday night during gridlock holiday traffic in December. I know people like me would likely pay anything but it is ridiculous for the NCAA to ever argue it is a non-profit.

Bluedog
09-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Just got an e-mail from Duke of $132/person for the game + pre-game "pep rally" (cash bar)...Man, that's rough. Also says $50 for Coaches vs. Cancer pre-game party ONLY. Last year in Chicago, the same package (game + pep rally) was $80 through DAA. I'm surprised at the $50 increase considering it's in Indy, which I would think would have a harder time attracting the fanbases than Chicago, but I guess it's not Duke that sets the prices. They did sell out crazy fast last year in Chicago and tickets were going for 2x-3x face value on the open market. Is this the first year that we're the "undercard"? Glad to not have a potential 10 pm gametime like what happened last year vs. Kansas. That game ended so late.

weezie
09-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Ugh, skip any pep rally foolishness. Those ID events make me cringe. Plus the beers you have to pay for are usually just plain narsty.

Far more culturally enlightening to tour the local drinking emporiums to experience the arts/intellectual scene. :cool:

DUKEinFW
09-24-2014, 10:31 PM

For those worried about cost. You'll likely save the money of the increased ticket cost when you consider the cost of hotel , food, and parking in Indy compared to Chicago. The downtown is perfect for sports events. Tons of fun.

Bluedog
09-24-2014, 11:38 PM
Ugh, skip any pep rally foolishness. Those ID events make me cringe. Plus the beers you have to pay for are usually just plain narsty.

Far more culturally enlightening to tour the local drinking emporiums to experience the arts/intellectual scene. :cool:

I'd agree, but Duke didn't give me that option. It's a package deal with no ticket only choice. The "pep rally" alone is an option (at $15), but not ticket alone...

weezie
09-25-2014, 08:51 AM
I'd agree, but Duke didn't give me that option. It's a package deal with no ticket only choice. The "pep rally" alone is an option (at $15), but not ticket alone...

Oh man, that's a bummer. Frankly, the IDs are becoming pretty shrill in their demands for more money. Husband of weezie and I are finally considering hanging up the towel after Pitino visits Cameron in another season or so.
I hear there are places called Europe and another something like China that could be worth visiting for the same dough that we lay out each year for the ID commitment...

NovaScotian
09-25-2014, 10:14 AM
For those worried about cost. You'll likely save the money of the increased ticket cost when you consider the cost of hotel , food, and parking in Indy compared to Chicago. The downtown is perfect for sports events. Tons of fun.

yea, i'll second how awesome of a city indianapolis is. not the greatest reputation, but beautiful, walkable, great food and lovely people.

TruBlu
09-26-2014, 03:48 PM
yea, i'll second how awesome of a city indianapolis is. not the greatest reputation, but beautiful, walkable, great food and lovely people.

My two daughters and their families say "thank you". I particularly enjoy my visits there, although it's primarily due to my 16 month old granddaughter, and now my brand new 3 day old granddaughter.:D:D:D:D

ChicagoCrazy84
09-26-2014, 10:16 PM

I've never been anywhere outside of the 1 mile radius of the Bankers Life Fieldhouse and Lucas Oil, but that area is great. Some good bars, very easy to walk, its just a simple and fun place to be IMO. I will probably go, I'm just debating whether to buy my tickets from Duke and hope for the best or buy them on StubHub. Ugh decisions decisions!

Bluedog
09-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Duke has sold out its allotment of tickets in case anybody was curious. Hopefully, for those who did not already secure a ticket, TicketMaster releases more than 200 tickets as we saw when it was in the United Center last year (I know 5 people who clicked buy at the exact second it became available, and none of them were successful at getting a ticket.)

BigWayne
09-29-2014, 05:46 PM
Duke has sold out its allotment of tickets in case anybody was curious. Hopefully, for those who did not already secure a ticket, TicketMaster releases more than 200 tickets as we saw when it was in the United Center last year (I know 5 people who clicked buy at the exact second it became available, and none of them were successful at getting a ticket.)

Website linked from the email they sent me is still taking orders it seems, though I did not try to actually do a checkout.
Stubhub is running at $215+, including tickets procured through Duke as they are listed as Duke Donor Upper Level TBD at $225.

DaveR
11-13-2014, 07:27 PM
See you there!