kcduke75
08-04-2014, 09:01 PM
great announcement, great kid

53n206
08-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Super!! Facial resemblance to Grant.

mr. synellinden
08-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Sporting a Here Come Duke t-shirt. Welcome to the family. Jeter and Kennard. Next?

Dev11
08-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Gosh, you people and your happy thread-starter fingers.

Good get!

Clay Feet POF
08-04-2014, 09:06 PM
My feet are doing a Happy Dance

NSDukeFan
08-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Great news. Welcome to Duke!

dukelifer
08-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Super!! Facial resemblance to Grant.

He looks to be a multi-year player. Needs to develop an NBA body. He is a very good rebounder- likes to mix it up. Shooting needs some work- but appears to have decent fundamentals.

BD80
08-04-2014, 09:10 PM
2015 isn't considered as good a class as 2014 or 2016. But Duke has plucked two gems from the class that absolutely fit Coach K's preferred style of play.

Great choice. great addition!

OZZIE4DUKE
08-04-2014, 09:11 PM
I love rooting for players named Jeter! Welcome to Duke, Chase!

dukelifer
08-04-2014, 09:13 PM
I love rooting for players named Jeter! Welcome to Duke, Chase!

Hopefully he can approach the number of championships of the other Jeter

Henderson
08-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Sporting a Here Come Duke t-shirt. Welcome to the family. Jeter and Kennard. Next?

Don't forget that Sean Obi will be starting his Duke career with Jeter and Kennard. But yeah, next?

JasonEvans
08-04-2014, 09:19 PM
2015 isn't considered as good a class as 2014 or 2016. But Duke has plucked two gems from the class that absolutely fit Coach K's preferred style of play.

And Sean Obi too. A fabulous haul of kids who will have an immediate impact on Duke hoops in 2015-16 and beyond.

-Jason "ho hum, another top 10 haul of kids for K ;) " Evans

Duvall
08-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Don't forget that Sean Obi will be starting his Duke career with Jeter and Kennard. But yeah, next?

You guys are greedy. You can't enjoy a five-star recruit for 20 minutes?

Anyway, Brandon Ingram visits on Thursday.

Newton_14
08-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Welcome to Duke Mr. Jeter! K and staff continuing to get it done! Duke basketball rolling on with talent flocking to Durham.

Welcome Indeed!

Go Duke!

hudlow
08-04-2014, 09:31 PM
A very impressive young man in many respects.

I'm looking forward to seeing him represent Duke.

hud

roywhite
08-04-2014, 09:31 PM
In watching some game action and highlights, I really like Jeter's potential as a shot blocker. Seems like a fast runner for his position, too.

mr. synellinden
08-04-2014, 09:35 PM
In watching some game action and highlights, I really like Jeter's potential as a shot blocker. Seems like a fast runner for his position, too.

Don't you know? - shot blockers are now called "rim protectors". Get with it, man. ;)

kAzE
08-04-2014, 09:47 PM

Don't forget about Sean Obi!

Wait, Jeter's a center?? Does this mean we're actually getting legit big men? That can't be right . . .

Oh wait, our old big man coach left for Marquette, now it all makes sense.

/endsarcasm

roywhite
08-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Don't you know? - shot blockers are now called "rim protectors". Get with it, man. ;)

Let me try again, and use some recruiting/analyst parlance:

He's long; he's bouncy; he runs the floor well; he's coachable.

moonpie23
08-04-2014, 09:50 PM
welcome, chase!!!!!! bring the rain.....

bbosbbos
08-04-2014, 09:51 PM
yoooooooohoooooo, I am very happy. Welcome to Duke, Jeter.

lotusland
08-04-2014, 09:51 PM
By not watching or tuning in to a live announcement I've successfully nabbed another top recruit for Duke. This one was a little tougher because I thought I had not watched or tuned in long enough at 7:30 only to find out I had to continue not watching of tuning in for a couple more hours. I'm exhausted from hours of ignoring media but nothing worthwhile ever comes easy.

mr. synellinden
08-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Let me try again, and use some recruiting/analyst parlance:

He's long; he's bouncy; he runs the floor well; he's coachable.

Better. But I would have gone with - "He's got great length ... "

BD80
08-04-2014, 10:10 PM
... Wait, Jeter's a center?? Does this mean we're actually getting legit big men? That can't be right . . .

\/endsarcasm

Jeter's 210 lbs. Not what would be called a "load down low"

He is a good defender, one of those long, tall bouncy guys that has always given Duke trouble, I'm excited to have him on our side. Reported to have good post moves.

FWIW: Chase went for 14 pts, 15 reb, and 4 blocks in the game tonight.

mr. synellinden
08-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Sporting a Here Comes Duke t-shirt. Welcome to the family. Jeter and Kennard. Next?

Just to answer my own question - according to this ESPN story (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/11309875/chase-jeter-commits-play-duke-blue-devils), our next priority is Brandon Ingram.

OldPhiKap
08-04-2014, 10:15 PM
How many cinder blocks can he leap?

BD80
08-04-2014, 10:18 PM
How many cinder blocks can he leap?

He can leap all of them. He can't lift any of them. Yet.

kAzE
08-04-2014, 10:19 PM

He is a good defender, one of those long, tall bouncy guys that has always given Duke trouble, I'm excited to have him on our side. Reported to have good post moves.

When I said he's legit, I just meant he's good. He's a 5 star recruit, 13th on ESPN, 9th on scout.com, and 8th on Rivals. That means the 3 most recent big men to join our program are Jahlil Okafor, Sean Obi, and Chase Jeter. Not too shabby.

roywhite
08-04-2014, 10:25 PM
When I said he's legit, I just meant he's good. He's a 5 star recruit, 13th on ESPN, 9th on scout.com, and 8th on Rivals. That means the 3 most recent big men to join our program are Jahlil Okafor, Sean Obi, and Chase Jeter. Not too shabby.

He's also young. He was the youngest player on the U-18 team, more than a year younger than most teammates.

With a DOB of 9/19/1997, he'll start his senior year of high school at 16 years old.

Look forward to watching him play and develop.

kAzE
08-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Not many big men develop a back-to-the-basket game with a go-to offensive post move this early in their career, but Jeter apparently has a right handed jump hook that is money in the bank. He also finishes with either hand at the rim and has a jumper reliable out to 15 feet. ALREADY. He's going to score a lot of points at Duke, and he's definitely going to be a pro someday.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Is he a space-eater? Or am I 15 years too late?

lotusland
08-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Not many big men develop a back-to-the-basket game with a go-to offensive post move this early in their career, but Jeter apparently has a right handed jump hook that is money in the bank. He also finishes with either hand at the rim and has a jumper reliable out to 15 feet. ALREADY. He's going to score a lot of points at Duke, and he's definitely going to be a pro someday.

Another example of Duke developing big men for the league!

Utley
08-04-2014, 10:56 PM
I'll follow Ozzie's post but with a twist - I'm a big fan of athletes named Chase. Great add!

Henderson
08-04-2014, 11:08 PM
I wonder if any sports writers or on-air commentators will ever refer to Jeter and Duke as "chasing" this or that -- ACC title, National Championship, etc. Probably not, eh?

Ichabod Drain
08-04-2014, 11:31 PM

Actually at the USA U18 camp this year he weighed in at 226 lbs. Not too shabby with a year left before college.

Furniture
08-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Seems like a very nice, humble and down to earth talented young man.

gep
08-05-2014, 12:02 AM

I wonder how much Coach Capel is involved with these recruits? Seems like it's correlated... Coach Capel comes, Duke starts to land highly touted recruits...:cool:

tommy
08-05-2014, 01:09 AM
I wonder how much Coach Capel is involved with these recruits? Seems like it's correlated... Coach Capel comes, Duke starts to land highly touted recruits...:cool:

Coach Capel has been terrific on the trail, don't get me wrong. But the assistant who did the spade work on this one was Wojo. By the time he took the Marquette job, this recruitment was essentially over. Since then, it's been by committee, with Capel, James, and Scheyer sharing the responsibilities to maintain the relationship. The critical nature of K's involvement goes without saying.

kAzE
08-05-2014, 01:46 AM
Obligatory Chase Jeter highlight video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUMg9JreDIw

I honestly didn't know much about the kid until today. I've been slacking on keeping up with recruiting. There's plenty of tape out there, but this was probably my favorite one that's not 5+ minutes long. Honestly, I don't understand the point of some of them that just show him slamming it from point blank range over and over. If you're 6'10" and you can't make that shot, no D1 schools are recruiting you.

I wish these videos would show more of his low post game, by which I'm very intrigued. He really seems to have that right handed hook shot going over his left shoulder. Very impressive for a young kid. I'm probably too young to think of an apt Duke comparison for this guy. He's way more skilled than any of the Plumlees or Zoubek, and he's not built like Boozer or Brand. I barely even remember Cherokee Parks (although I was a 3rd grade classmate of his younger sister, Madison), was he this skilled? For me, this guy represents something I've never seen in a Duke uniform: A long, lanky 6'10" guy with real low post skills.

ice-9
08-05-2014, 03:54 AM

Great choice. great addition!

An interesting comment from Zagsblog: "There are 10 big men in the top 15 of ESPN’s rankings, and ESPN National recruiting analyst Paul Biancardi says that Jeter belongs with the best of the best."

So maybe the overall class is considered weaker, but the big men in the class are strong regardless?

roywhite
08-05-2014, 06:57 AM
I wish these videos would show more of his low post game, by which I'm very intrigued. He really seems to have that right handed hook shot going over his left shoulder. Very impressive for a young kid. I'm probably too young to think of an apt Duke comparison for this guy. He's way more skilled than any of the Plumlees or Zoubek, and he's not built like Boozer or Brand. I barely even remember Cherokee Parks (although I was a 3rd grade classmate of his younger sister, Madison), was he this skilled? For me, this guy represents something I've never seen in a Duke uniform: A long, lanky 6'10" guy with real low post skills.

Hadn't thought about this, but the Duke comparison may be Alaa Abdelnaby (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=391)

Alaa was a good run/jump athlete with a good jump hook. He had a productive senior season, thanks in large part to passes from Bobby Hurley; perhaps Chase Jeter will similarly benefit from playing at least one year with Tyus Jones.

I'll guess Coach K hopes that Chase is more consistent than Alaa was.

flyingdutchdevil
08-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Because a) it's the summer, b) I'm excited about Jeter, and c) the World Cup is over, I figured I'd give my <1 cent on Jeter:

1) Awesome haircut. Too bad Coach K will make Jeter shave it in 14 months... :(

2) Is he related to Derek at all? If so, he may be irresistible to the ladies

3) Are we going to have 2 years IN A ROW where we have an elite frontcourt? /endsarcasm

4) Jeter needs to call Amile and ask him how he gained weight between his freshman and sophomore year

5) Coach K seems to favor the post-up 4 rather than the spread 4 for the foreseeable future. I honestly kinda like that

Billy Dat
08-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Obligatory Chase Jeter highlight video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUMg9JreDIw

I honestly didn't know much about the kid until today. I've been slacking on keeping up with recruiting. There's plenty of tape out there, but this was probably my favorite one that's not 5+ minutes long. Honestly, I don't understand the point of some of them that just show him slamming it from point blank range over and over. If you're 6'10" and you can't make that shot, no D1 schools are recruiting you.

The U18 FIBA Tournament of the Americas was streamed online in late June. Jeter came of the bench for that squad. You can watch the title game against Canada here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uySLh8lPgE

Of course, like me, you may forget about Jeter as your jaw hangs open watching Justice Winslow, but that's a good problem to have. Watching Tyus Jones and Luke Kennard won't depress you, either.

FerryFor50
08-05-2014, 09:22 AM
1) Awesome haircut. Too bad Coach K will make Jeter shave it in 14 months... :(
Is that an official Duke policy?

2) Is he related to Derek at all? If so, he may be irresistible to the ladies
Pretty sure he's Derek Jeter's nephew, but can't seem to find corroborating evidence.

5) Coach K seems to favor the post-up 4 rather than the spread 4 for the foreseeable future. I honestly kinda like that
I dunno about that. They put a offers out to TJ Leaf and Henry Ellenson, who are both stretch 4s.

HaveFunExpectToWin
08-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Better. But I would have gone with - "He's got great length ... "

I need some wingspan numbers before I can get too excited. /s

flyingdutchdevil
08-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Is that an official Duke policy?

Have you ever seen a Duke player with a unique haircut in high school (yes) and have him carry that haircut into the start of his freshman season? I haven't. Singler and Lance Thomas quickly come to mind. Winslow will be an interesting candidate. I'd be shocked if he started the season with his current hairdo. Is it Coach K? Dunno. Is it pressure from Duke Athletics? Dunno. All I do know is that the institution of Duke University Basketball likes players to keep clean haircuts.

I dunno about that. They put a offers out to TJ Leaf and Henry Ellenson, who are both stretch 4s.

You may be right, but the coaching staff worked on Jeter like crazy. I haven't heard that much about Leaf or Ellenson (although I may be wrong). Plus, right now, with MP3, Jefferson, Sean Obi, Jeter, and Semi who can play the 4 or 5 (or both), there seems to be log-jam in the frontcourt. I wouldn't be shocked if we got another frontcourt player, but I think our attention is moving to the wings (or maybe even 2016).

Indoor66
08-05-2014, 09:48 AM

Kinda sounds like Mike Giminski! Wouldn't that be a wonderful development?

As to the wingspan number, G-man would fail today because he didn't have those long arms. It didn't seem to cause his failure.

flyingdutchdevil
08-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Kinda sounds like Mike Giminski! Wouldn't that be a wonderful development?

As to the wingspan number, G-man would fail today because he didn't have those long arms. It didn't seem to cause his failure.

Was Mike G. a T-Rex?

Henderson
08-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Pretty sure he's Derek Jeter's nephew, but can't seem to find corroborating evidence.

Correct; sort of "half-nephew" if there is such a thing. Chase Jeter's father is a half-brother of Derek Jeter. Same father, different mothers.

BD80
08-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Correct; sort of "half-nephew" if there is such a thing. Chase Jeter's father is a half-brother of Derek Jeter. Same father, different mothers.

Maybe Derek can come to all of Chase's games (he'll be done with baseball) - and bring a different gf to each one. If Chase stays 4 years and we go to the championship each year, that's around 160 different models/actresses. Doable for the Captain.

flyingdutchdevil
08-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Maybe Derek can come to all of Chase's games (he'll be done with baseball) - and bring a different gf to each one. If Chase stays 4 years and we go to the championship each year, that's around 160 different models/actresses. Doable for the Captain.

Given that there are 162 games in a baseball season, this is definitely doable over a 4 year period.

dukelifer
08-05-2014, 11:20 AM
Hadn't thought about this, but the Duke comparison may be Alaa Abdelnaby (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=391)

Alaa was a good run/jump athlete with a good jump hook. He had a productive senior season, thanks in large part to passes from Bobby Hurley; perhaps Chase Jeter will similarly benefit from playing at least one year with Tyus Jones.

I'll guess Coach K hopes that Chase is more consistent than Alaa was.

Alaa was not the most committed player. His senior year - when he knew he had a chance to play in the league- his motivation increased. Yesterday they mentioned that Jeter has a plan every game. 6 points from offensive rebounds, 6 points from the line and 6 points from making shots (hooks, short jumpers etc). That is a nice recipe for success. 18 pts a game. We will take that!

MChambers
08-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Was Mike G. a T-Rex?

I always thought Mike had long arms. He had a relatively short neck, or so it seemed, and I thought he had a long reach for someone listed at 6'11".

Troublemaker
08-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Great get. It's a strong class for bigs, and Duke was able to get a commitment from the one we zeroed in on the most. I believe in the past dozen years, we've only signed three centers who are as highly-ranked as Jeter: Okafor, Mason Plumlee, and McRoberts. So getting two of those four guys in the past two recruiting classes is an indicator of how well recruiting is going these days.

(Note: I do think Chase will see a decent amount of time at center. He's 6'10", presumably can fill out to 240-lbs or so, and while he has a midrange shot, doesn't have a 3-pt shot. That sounds like a center at Duke to me. Like Plumlee and McRoberts, I expect that he'll play some PF and then eventually settle in at C. But regardless of position, great get.)

gumbomoop
08-05-2014, 03:13 PM
I believe in the past dozen years, we've only signed three centers who are as highly-ranked as Jeter: Okafor, Mason Plumlee, and McRoberts.

(Note: I do think Chase will see a decent amount of time at center. He's 6'10", presumably can fill out to 240-lbs or so, and while he has a midrange shot, doesn't have a 3-pt shot. That sounds like a center at Duke to me. Like Plumlee and McRoberts, I expect that he'll play some PF and then eventually settle in at C. But regardless of position, great get.)

This post is helpful to me, as both Jeter's actual height and position are unclear. In one article linked on front page, Jeter is referred to as 6'10" and as 7'. Last evening one of the ESPNU commentators said Jeter is "almost" 6'10", so Troublemaker's ref to 6'10" sounds most likely accurate. Gurus sometimes call him a forward, other times a center.

As to where he'll play, clearly at one of our two interior spots. For his frosh season, 2015-16, we'll be inside-solid with R-Sr Plumlee, Sr Jefferson, R-So Obi, and Fr Jeter (possibly Jr Ojeleye, too, some minutes at 4). Seems fair to say Marshall is definitely a 5, and Amile definitely a 4. I assume Sean is back-to-basket, and really a 5. Chase seems likely to play mostly at the 4 his first season. I suppose his time as a 5 in his soph season, 2016-17, depends on how many minutes Sean can play per game (conditioning, foul issues). With added weight and strength, Chase would probably log significant minutes at both 4 and 5 his soph year.

Agree with Troublemaker's "great get" conclusion.

MartyClark
08-05-2014, 03:36 PM
This post is helpful to me, as both Jeter's actual height and position are unclear. In one article linked on front page, Jeter is referred to as 6'10" and as 7'. Last evening one of the ESPNU commentators said Jeter is "almost" 6'10", so Troublemaker's ref to 6'10" sounds most likely accurate. Gurus sometimes call him a forward, other times a center.

As to where he'll play, clearly at one of our two interior spots. For his frosh season, 2015-16, we'll be inside-solid with R-Sr Plumlee, Sr Jefferson, R-So Obi, and Fr Jeter (possibly Jr Ojeleye, too, some minutes at 4). Seems fair to say Marshall is definitely a 5, and Amile definitely a 4. I assume Sean is back-to-basket, and really a 5. Chase seems likely to play mostly at the 4 his first season. I suppose his time as a 5 in his soph season, 2016-17, depends on how many minutes Sean can play per game (conditioning, foul issues). With added weight and strength, Chase would probably log significant minutes at both 4 and 5 his soph year.

Agree with Troublemaker's "great get" conclusion.

I stood next to him after the US U18 semifinal game this summer. My friend, a basketball junkie and Louisville friend, reached the same conclusion. This kid is really young. Somebody on this thread mentioned earlier that Jeter is still 16 years old. I think he will fill out and may even grow in height before reaching Duke.

I'm glad we got him. I think he has the chance to be good. Go Duke.

AncientPsychicT
08-05-2014, 03:55 PM
This post is helpful to me, as both Jeter's actual height and position are unclear. In one article linked on front page, Jeter is referred to as 6'10" and as 7'. Last evening one of the ESPNU commentators said Jeter is "almost" 6'10", so Troublemaker's ref to 6'10" sounds most likely accurate.

The following post is from the 22nd of May:

According to Chase Jeter, he was measured yesterday at 6'11" without shoes, which as he points out makes him a legit 7 footer, since "it's not too often I'm walking around without shoes."

7 feet tall; Mom's a teacher; Dad's a cop with a natty ring; 3.85 GPA.

Duke Guy.

Apparently, according to Jeter himself, he's a 7 footer on the court (and I doubt he's shrunk 2 inches in 2.5 months).

Caveat: I'm not 100% sure how Henderson got this information; however, if you go back and read the 2015 Recruiting Thread (this particular post is on pg 26), it certainly seemed like Henderson had some source relaying him information re: Jeter. Perhaps he knows someone close to him? I don't know, but he seemed like he knew what he was talking about whenever he talked about Jeter in that thread.

Ichabod Drain
08-05-2014, 04:11 PM

Apparently, according to Jeter himself, he's a 7 footer on the court (and I doubt he's shrunk 2 inches in 2.5 months).

Caveat: I'm not 100% sure how Henderson got this information; however, if you go back and read the 2015 Recruiting Thread (this particular post is on pg 26), it certainly seemed like Henderson had some source relaying him information re: Jeter. Perhaps he knows someone close to him? I don't know, but he seemed like he knew what he was talking about whenever he talked about Jeter in that thread.

It's from where all credible info comes from in this day and age... Twitter. Jeter posted he was measured 6'11" without shoes on 5/22 this year.

Duke3517
08-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Most important congratulations to Mr. Jeter and his decision. He chose a school that will develop his game up to the NBA level but also he chose a school that offers one of the best in academics. Your résumé will be awfully impressive.

tommy
08-05-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm not going to get too geared up about recruiting this early, and it may be that none of these other guys is interested in Duke, and maybe there'd be a logjam at center with Obi, Jeter, and Marshall, but from the Duke perspective, I doubt we'd turn down top 5 prospects who qualify academically and are solid interpersonally. Coach K needs solid players like Obi to win championships, but he also needs guys who'll be lottery picks. If somebody like Stone sends us positive vibes, and Jeter would exclude the possibility, I bet we'd drag our feet on pulling the trigger on Jeter.

Not to pick on you at all, johnb, for this post from back in May, as there were several others like it at the time and a lot since then, but the reality is that Chase verballed to Duke back in April. It's been a done deal for a long time.

Henderson
08-05-2014, 08:31 PM

I was quoting a feature on Jeter that appeared in the local paper in May. He told the interviewer with some apparent satisfaction that he'd been measured at 7-0 with shoes. I don't have any special insights or contacts. It's just that I live in Las Vegas, where Jeter grew up, goes to high school, and where he gets a lot of local coverage that doesn't go national. So I pass on the local stuff when it seems relevant.

watzone
08-06-2014, 10:23 AM
If anyone is interested, here is an interview with Chase Jeter done right after his announcement http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/08/new-blue-devil-chase-jeter-sits-bdn/

A really good kid who will fit in well at Duke. He has a ton of upside and you have to like that old school-ish hook shot of his.

Kedsy
08-06-2014, 10:32 AM
If anyone is interested, here is an interview with Chase Jeter done right after his announcement http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/08/new-blue-devil-chase-jeter-sits-bdn/

A really good kid who will fit in well at Duke. He has a ton of upside and you have to like that old school-ish hook shot of his.

The article appears to be behind the pay wall.

watzone
08-06-2014, 10:52 AM
The article appears to be behind the pay wall. My apologies. I am working on a free link now.

watzone
08-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Here is a link I think I corrected to open up the Chase Jeter interview after his decision - http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/08/chase-jeter-aftermath-open-public/ Somebody let me know if it is working properly now, please.

Troublemaker
08-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Here is a link I think I corrected to open up the Chase Jeter interview after his decision - http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/08/chase-jeter-aftermath-open-public/ Somebody let me know if it is working properly now, please.

It is working now. Thanks!

tommy
08-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Chase and super wing Jalen Brown were named co-MVP's of the Elite24 game tonight in NYC. Big end-of-summer all-star game, with all the top players participating. Jeter had 17 points and an event-record 15 boards.

dukelifer
08-24-2014, 09:15 AM
Chase and super wing Jalen Brown were named co-MVP's of the Elite24 game tonight in NYC. Big end-of-summer all-star game, with all the top players participating. Jeter had 17 points and an event-record 15 boards.

The kid likes to bound..

Kedsy
08-24-2014, 11:43 AM
The kid likes to bound..

I hope so. With a 2015-16 big rotation of Chase, Sean Obi, and seniors Amile and Marshall, we might actually outrebound everyone, for a change.

Olympic Fan
08-24-2014, 12:45 PM
I hope so. With a 2015-16 big rotation of Chase, Sean Obi, and seniors Amile and Marshall, we might actually outrebound everyone, for a change.

To be fair, most Duke teams end up with positive rebounding numbers for the season -- 2013 and 2006 were rare exceptions. Last year's taam was ninth in the 15-team ACC with a 2,0 rebound margin.

On the other hand, few Duke teams are exceptionally strong as rebounding teams -- 2010 did lead the ACC (and I believe led the nation in offensive rebounds), but that was the first Duke team to lead the ACC on the boards since 1986, 1988 and 1989 -- three times in four years.

Henderson
08-24-2014, 12:58 PM

Amen to that. And they'll have another year of development by then, 3 of them w/i the Duke system. It's also possible we'll have Winslow back another year. Plus there's Semi, who has a rebounder's body. And this year might not be too bad either with Okafor, Amile, MP3, and Winslow + whatever Semi can provide.

I think this is two years in a row that a Duke recruit was co-MVP of that tournament. Last year it was Tyus Jones.

Is there a box score available? I did a desultory search and didn't see one, then got lazy.

BTW, Chase Jeter's High School, Bishop Gorman, is ranked #1 in the nation in prep football and won their opener on Friday 44-0. It features Snoop Dogg's son -- Cordell "Don't Call Me Snoop Puppy" Broadus -- at wide receiver.

Anybody else see the family resemblance (facially) between Chase and Derek Jeter. Some of the photos are uncanny.

gumbomoop
08-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Replay of Elite24 game on ESPNU today, this aft, 3 pm.

ETA: Just read that Brandon Ingram won 3-pt contest.

Clay Feet POF
08-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Replay of Elite24 game on ESPNU today, this aft, 3 pm.

ETA: Just read that Brandon Ingram won 3-pt contest.

Thanks for the heads up on the TV replay.

Troublemaker
08-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Short highlight clip of Chase in the E24 game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnpyCN-84lI

gumbomoop
08-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the TV replay.

Having watched the first half, I'm undecided as to whether the appropriate response to your thanks is "You're welcome," or ..... "I apologize." It's a close call.

Lots of talent, not much basketball.

I will observe that Harry Giles is real good. As are several others. Also, Chase Jeter's down-pat jump hook is so down and pat that the commentators refer to it as his "signature move." Fortunately, it's legible, legit, consistent. Welcome to Duke, definitely.

Kedsy
08-24-2014, 05:16 PM
To be fair, most Duke teams end up with positive rebounding numbers for the season -- 2013 and 2006 were rare exceptions. Last year's taam was ninth in the 15-team ACC with a 2,0 rebound margin.

My comment wasn't meant to be taken literally. What I meant was rebounding will probably be considered a Duke strength, which is unusual from a historical perspective. Even in 2010, when rebounding absolutely was a Duke strength, that wasn't the general consensus among the talking heads. It's possible that in 2015-16, when a commentator lists the keys to the game, the bullet point -- "keep them off the boards" will be referring to keeping Duke off the boards and not Duke preventing opposing rebounds.

Clay Feet POF
08-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Having watched the first half, I'm undecided as to whether the appropriate response to your thanks is "You're welcome," or ..... "I apologize." It's a close call.

Lots of talent, not much basketball.

I will observe that Harry Giles is real good. As are several others. Also, Chase Jeter's down-pat jump hook is so down and pat that the commentators refer to it as his "signature move." Fortunately, it's legible, legit, consistent. Welcome to Duke, definitely.

I'll say Thank You, all data is welcome!

Gargoyle
09-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Here are some evaluations of Jeter from Peach State Basketball (I did not see these posted previously)

http://peachstatebasketball.com/brandonclayscouting-com-prospect-eval-chase-jeter-september-4-2014/

flyingdutchdevil
09-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Here are some evaluations of Jeter from Peach State Basketball (I did not see these posted previously)

http://peachstatebasketball.com/brandonclayscouting-com-prospect-eval-chase-jeter-september-4-2014/

Are you trying to tell me that Duke got back-to-back top 3 big men in 2014 & 2015? What is going on!!! I thought we were a guard-oriented school! I thought Duke can't recruit big men! I thought big men hate Duke!

The sky is falling!!!! Noooooooooooooo!

(/sarcasm. Like, the whole post)

CDu
09-05-2014, 10:39 AM

Having now watched the "Chase Jeter Spring Mixtape", I have come to a few conclusions:
- big men probably shouldn't get mixtapes made... they look a bit silly
- Jeter does seem to have a nice touch to his jump hook (at least the few times they appeared in his mix tape), which is good because he's pretty skinny
- Jeter appears to be a big fan of the "and-1-style" pass fake over the head of the defender. I can't imagine Coach K will let that fly at Duke.
- Jeter appears to be the yang to Sean Obi's yin. Or the Jack Sprat to Obi's "Jack Sprat's wife"

flyingdutchdevil
09-05-2014, 11:14 AM
- Jeter appears to be the yang to Sean Obi's yin. Or the Jack Sprat to Obi's "Jack Sprat's wife"

I think Jack Sprat's wife needs to start taking some Lipitor.

Duvall
09-05-2014, 11:32 AM
I think Jack Sprat's wife needs to start taking some Lipitor.

Well, that's pretty obnoxious.

BD80
09-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Are you trying to tell me that Duke got back-to-back top 3 big men in 2014 & 2015? ...
(/sarcasm. Like, the whole post)

2013, 2014 and 2015

Whither Jabari?

flyingdutchdevil
09-05-2014, 12:23 PM
2013, 2014 and 2015

Whither Jabari?

While I understand where you're coming from, Jabari played the 5 sometimes by default. And he's a stretch 4. Plus he's predicted to be a 3 in the NBA. He's a little Duke bigman, if that makes any sense. Okafor is a traditional 5 (big, big dude). Jeter is a mobile bigman with a hook shot that can be effective with either his back to the basket or facing up.

CDu
09-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Well, that's pretty obnoxious.

??? She can eat no lean. She's bound to develop heart disease eventually.

flyingdutchdevil
09-05-2014, 12:39 PM
??? She can eat no lean. She's bound to develop heart disease eventually.

Is that what Duvall said? I have ignored all his posts. It's a pretty useful function.

duke74
09-05-2014, 01:06 PM
While I understand where you're coming from, Jabari played the 5 sometimes by default. And he's a stretch 4. Plus he's predicted to be a 3 in the NBA. He's a little Duke bigman, if that makes any sense. Okafor is a traditional 5 (big, big dude). Jeter is a mobile bigman with a hook shot that can be effective with either his back to the basket or facing up.

Sorta like Dustin Hoffman? ;)

MCFinARL
03-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Congratulations, Chase! http://usatodayhss.com/2015/gatorade-nevada-boys-basketball-poy-chase-jeter

Luke Kennard was the POY for Ohio, which I have posted in his thread.

BigZ
03-27-2015, 12:51 AM
So what former Blue Devil would you compare him too? Casey Sanders ???