PDA

View Full Version : Thornton joins the staff at Duke University - Milwaukee

Billy Dat
07-25-2014, 03:33 PM
AKA Marquette...congrats to Tyler and Wojo (and C-Well). Those are going to be some great coaches pick-up games (Wojo, C-Well, Tyler, Diener, Brett Nelson, Justin Gainey etc.)

Steve Wojciechowski ‏@steve_wojo 5m
Proud & excited to add @tythornton3 to our staff today. Will impact our program/players big time! Honored to give him his start.#family

BD80
07-25-2014, 03:53 PM
AKA Marquette...congrats to Tyler and Wojo (and C-Well). Those are going to be some great coaches pick-up games (Wojo, C-Well, Tyler, Diener, Brett Nelson, Justin Gainey etc.)

Proud & excited to add @tythornton3 to our staff today. Will impact our program/players big time! Honored to give him his start.#family

Wow. Time flies. It seems like he was just playing for the Blue Devils.

Considering he was considered our best leader and best communicator, seems like a natural next step

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-25-2014, 04:06 PM

Awesome for him. Amazing to watch this coaching tree blossom.

superdave
07-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Did he have any offers to play overseas?

Seems like a formative experience to miss out on.

TruBlu
07-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Did he have any offers to play overseas?

Seems like a formative experience to miss out on.

"Overseas" was afraid of Tyler . . . for good reason. He bad (in a good way, of course).;)

Bob Green
07-25-2014, 05:40 PM
This is great news for Tyler as well as Coach Wojo and Marquette University. After the way Coach K raved about Tyler's leadership, communications and understanding of the game, I guess it was inevitable Tyler would go into coaching. It is awesome he is starting out at Marquette under Coach Wojo.

I wonder what position on the staff he will be filling.

NYBri
07-25-2014, 08:06 PM

Toughness Coach.

conmanlhughes
07-25-2014, 09:44 PM
This is great news for Tyler as well as Coach Wojo and Marquette University. After the way Coach K raved about Tyler's leadership, communications and understanding of the game, I guess it was inevitable Tyler would go into coaching. It is awesome he is starting out at Marquette under Coach Wojo.

I believe he will be a Graduate Assistant, if that helps. This is going to be a really solid coaching staff at Marquette, one that will be able to succeed long into the future.

http://www.fayobserver.com/blogs/sports/acc_basketball/acc-basketball-tyler-thornton-could-join-marquette-s-staff-as/article_33e0aa3e-fcc6-11e3-bdae-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

kAzE
07-25-2014, 10:34 PM
Ah, I just knew TT was going to get into coaching, just didn't realize it would be immediately. I was looking forward to seeing what kind of career he might have overseas, but I guess this is his goal. Good luck to all the Dukies at Marquette.

Newton_14
07-25-2014, 11:09 PM
Ah, I just knew TT was going to get into coaching, just didn't realize it would be immediately. I was looking forward to seeing what kind of career he might have overseas, but I guess this is his goal. Good luck to all the Dukies at Marquette.

Per K, Tyler told him on Day 1 as a Freshman, he wanted to improve daily as a player, but also prepare daily to be a coach once his college career ended. From what I read, Tyler never had any intentions of pursuing a professional playing career. He wanted to coach.

I agree this is a great pick up for Wojo, as was the C-Well pick up. Tyler can immediately relate to all of the guys on a personal level in a way the older coaches can't, plus, and I think this is big, i think Tyler can help teach kids with lesser talents, a lot of little things they can do to maximize the talents they have, and offset the skills they lack in other ways. That can be a big help at a place like Marquette where obviously not every rotation player is going to be a 4 star/5 star kid.

I am really looking forward to see how Wojo performs as a head coach leading his own program. I hope he shines. Guess we all have a new team to pull for now in addition to Duke, Stanford, Harvard, Northwestern, etc. I need to go to the mall and pick me up some additional hats or buy them online or something.;)

Son of Jarhead
07-26-2014, 01:01 AM
Wow, Wojo & Tiny Thor on the same bench? We know the Golden Eagles will be one feisty bunch...

I knew Tyler Thornton wanted to go into coaching. I had been wondering if he would move into the Special Assistant position just vacated when John Scheyer moved up a chair. Anybody know if Duke will be filling that position or not?

Best of luck at Marquette, Tyler! We'll miss you down here, but know you will do great up yonder. :D