PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Football Recruiting

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bob Green
07-25-2014, 12:50 PM
A great start for 2016:

Scott Bracey ‏@sbracey_9 ·15 mins
Officially committed to Duke University!!! #DukeGang pic.twitter.com/kCdqp1MpYi

Scout lists Bracey (6'2" 190) as a 4-Star Wide Receiver. He is from Benectidine HS in Richmond, VA.

EDIT: ESPN lists Bracey as the #32 ranked player in the Class of 2016: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/185546/scott-bracey

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-25-2014, 01:04 PM
A great start for 2016:

Scout lists Bracey (6'2" 190) as a 4-Star Wide Receiver. He is from Benectidine HS in Richmond, VA.

EDIT: ESPN lists Bracey as the #32 ranked player in the Class of 2016: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/185546/scott-bracey

The Duke Chronicle broke the story like this: https://www.dukechronicle.com/blogs/bluezone/posts/2014/07/25/scott-bracey-could-be-duke-footballs-biggest-commit-program-history

johnb
07-25-2014, 01:14 PM
and another version, which puts him at #52 in the country (and Duke's highest rated recruit in the modern era)...

http://duke.247sports.com/Article/BREAKING-Duke-lands-Top247-2016-ATH-Scott-Bracey-29835594

anonj
07-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Huge get by Coach Cut. First player in the this class to commit and he's a 4-star WR, hope that bodes well for the rest of the 2016 class. It also looks like he's ranked as the 2nd best ATH in the 2016 class by 247 if I'm reading correctly:

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighScho ol&Position=ATH

I can't help but think more and more high-end prospects are going to be looking at Duke more seriously now that we've grabbed guys like Bracey, Humphreys and Petite in just the past month.

It certainly is a new era in Duke football!!!

nmduke2001
07-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Huge get by Coach Cut. First player in the this class to commit and he's a 4-star WR, hope that bodes well for the rest of the 2016 class. It also looks like he's ranked as the 2nd best ATH in the 2016 class by 247 if I'm reading correctly:

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighScho ol&Position=ATH

I can't help but think more and more high-end prospects are going to be looking at Duke more seriously now that we've grabbed guys like Bracey, Humphreys and Petite in just the past month.

It certainly is a new era in Duke football!!!

Different circumstances, but maybe Scott Bracey will be the Johnny Dawkins of Duke Football. If I understand correctly, once we got Johnny, other really good players followed.

CameronBornAndBred
07-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Excellent! We still have to keep on board and interested though; I'm never truly jumping up and down until the guy signs on the dotted line. I have all the confidence in our team, though, to prove to him and all the other '16 recruits that the current trend upward is going non-stop.

BD80
07-25-2014, 02:17 PM
A great start for 2016:

and another version, which puts him at #52 in the country (and Duke's highest rated recruit in the modern era)...

http://duke.247sports.com/Article/BREAKING-Duke-lands-Top247-2016-ATH-Scott-Bracey-29835594

Doesn't leave us much room to get players more highly ranked ...

But I'll bet Cut and his staff do continue to land top #100 talent with an interest in a real education (as opposed to, say, a uncch "education")

I think a big key is that Cut is getting a rep for having a solid staff of coaches that improve players during their time at Duke

Duke4life92
07-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Excellent! We still have to keep on board and interested though; I'm never truly jumping up and down until the guy signs on the dotted line.Just what i was thinking,does'nt mean much till they sign on the dotted line as all those other schools will continue to recruit the kid.Great sign of the times that they are saying they're committing to the program though.

JasonEvans
07-25-2014, 02:36 PM
When is the last time we landed a kid with offers from Ohio St, Michigan, MSU, Nebraska, Clemson, Penn St, and South Carolina? I bet we have not beaten schools like that for a kid since the Spurrier days at least. Wow.

I love what 24/7 had to say (http://duke.247sports.com/Article/BREAKING-Duke-lands-Top247-2016-ATH-Scott-Bracey-29835594) about this --

This is the highest rated player Duke Football has ever landed on the recruiting trail. According to National Recruiting Insider Ryan Bartow, it's a statement to the college football landscape as well. "This is as big of a recruiting coup as there is nationally for the 2016 cycle and one of the most impressive upset pulls I've seen in the last ten years."

Landing Bracey as the first player in the 2016 class will pay huge dividends for Duke in this cycle, as they will look to build around him with more talented players. While not complete, the Blue Devils already have the best recruiting class in program history in 2015, ranking 22nd nationally and fifth in the ACC.

-Jason "is it too soon to give Cut a lifetime contract? ;) " Evans

Olympic Fan
07-25-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm love the enthusiasm, but best recruit ever?

Best recruit in the last decade or so ... maybe. But Vince Oghobaase was a five-star DT from Texas. When Nate Krill committed, he was rated the best prospect in the East Coast and had an offer list at least as good as Bracey.

But Krill brings up an interesting point ... it's very early in the cycle for 2016 prospects. Where will Bracey be rated on signing day in Feb. 2016?

Krill went on after committing to Duke and had a terrific senior season ... but when signing day came around, he was no longer the super prospect he was when Nebrasksa, Penn State, Alabama and Ohio State and the like were chasing him. The best service at the time rated him the No. 10 player in Virginia.

We've seen dozens of basketball targets rising in the rankings as Duke has pursued them. But by the same token, we've seen dozens of football recruits drop after committing to Duke.

Most of the guys who write about recruiting (especially football recruiting) don't know how to evaluate talent -- all they know is how to evaluate who is recruiting various kids. Kids that Alabama, Ohio State, Southern Cal, etc., like MUST be the best, right?

Don't get me wrong ... I am excited about this commitment. But I'm not going to get hung up on his prep rating.

Best recruit ever? Probably Ace Parker, based on his legendary high school career (just a few years ago, he was still honored as the greatest high school athlete in Virginia history -- ahead of Michael Vick, Ron Curry and Allen Iverson).

I also remember Bear Bryant going nuts to get Steve Jones in the late 1960s. And both Woody Hayes and Joe Paterno were hot to land Mike Dunn.

Bob Green
07-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Posting this to be sure everyone knows, someone edited my original thread title so the - "Best recruit in Duke history" hyperbole does not belong to me.

Reilly
07-25-2014, 04:09 PM
When is the last time we landed a kid with offers from Ohio St, Michigan, MSU, Nebraska, Clemson, Penn St, and South Carolina? I bet we have not beaten schools like that for a kid since the Spurrier days at least. ...

I'm love the enthusiasm, but best recruit ever? Best recruit in the last decade or so ... maybe. But Vince Oghobaase was a five-star DT from Texas. ...

Per Scout, Bracey is #106 overall.
Per Scout, VO was #46 overall. And Scout lists us beating out Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Miami and Arizona for VO.

jafarr1
07-25-2014, 04:18 PM
I just love that typing "top 25 duke" into a Twitter search brings up a bunch of references to Bracey.

(Rivals announced on Twitter that Bracey will be ranked in their top 25 recruits when their list comes out Monday.)

Duvall
07-25-2014, 04:19 PM
Per Scout, Bracey is #106 overall.
Per Scout, VO was #46 overall. And Scout lists us beating out Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Miami and Arizona for VO.

Rivals. (https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/duke-picks-up-commitment-from-wr-scott-bracey--a-top-25-2016-recruit-182033580.html)

Scott Bracey, a wide receiver from Benedictine High School in Richmond, Va., verbally committed to coach David Cutcliffe and the Duke Blue Devils. Bracey is the first commitment for Duke’s 2016 class — and he's a big one.

The 6-foot-2, 195-pound Bracey, who will be rated as one of the top 25 2016 recruits in the nation when Rivals.com releases its first rankings Monday, chose the defending ACC Coastal Division champions over scholarship offers from more than 25 of the top programs across the country.

OldPhiKap
07-25-2014, 08:20 PM
If you we're a QB, why would you not want to play for Cut?

If you we're a Wr or TE, why wouldn't you want to feast on great throws?

If you we're a RB, why wouldn't you want to play at a school where defenses are already back on their heels before the snap?

Every cycle gets tighter. Hurricane-style (and I'm not talking The Miami kind)

WOOT WOOT!

johnb
07-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Bracey told the Richmond paper that he intends to play qb during his jr year. I guess that's why he's rated an elite ATH. He's athletic. Not sure what this means for his Duke career.
http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/high-school/football/among-his-many-scholarship-offers-bracey-picks-duke/article_68dddd36-1429-11e4-9465-001a4bcf6878.html

Btw, lots of 2015 recruits got offers from Big Schools, which may be more meaningful than stars or a decimal system (to the 4th decimal point? Really?). These guys can compete with anybody.

jimsumner
07-25-2014, 10:05 PM
"Best recruit in Duke history."

Isn't hyperbole the greatest thing ever?

Seriously. Steve Jones was considered the best running back in the country. Duke recruited him away from Alabama and Penn State among others.

Mike Dunn and Carl McGee were much more highly regarded than this kid. Ben Bennett? Clarkston Hines? Jay Wilkinson?

I could go on.

Bracey is a big-time prospect and a major catch for Cut. But let's not go into la-la land on this.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-25-2014, 10:47 PM

Seriously. Steve Jones was considered the best running back in the country. Duke recruited him away from Alabama and Penn State among others.

Mike Dunn and Carl McGee were much more highly regarded than this kid. Ben Bennett? Clarkston Hines? Jay Wilkinson?

I could go on.

Bracey is a big-time prospect and a major catch for Cut. But let's not go into la-la land on this.

You know how it is, Jim. The newly arrived probably never even heard of Ace Parker.

CameronBornAndBred
07-25-2014, 11:20 PM
Btw, lots of 2015 recruits got offers from Big Schools, which may be more meaningful than stars or a decimal system (to the 4th decimal point? Really?). These guys can compete with anybody.
Don't take this as a knock, it's not; I completely agree with you.
The guys that played the last two years, and were recruited by Cut 4,5,6 years ago, would probably think you can you can go back a few years with your statement.

BD80
07-26-2014, 12:29 AM
... The newly arrived probably never even heard of Ace Parker.

Jabari's Dad?

Jim3k
07-26-2014, 02:39 AM
I'm love the enthusiasm, but best recruit ever?

... Best recruit ever? Probably Ace Parker, based on his legendary high school career (just a few years ago, he was still honored as the greatest high school athlete in Virginia history -- ahead of Michael Vick, Ron Curry and Allen Iverson).

I also remember Bear Bryant going nuts to get Steve Jones in the late 1960s. And both Woody Hayes and Joe Paterno were hot to land Mike Dunn.

And let's not leave out Jay Wilkinson (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=220817), '64, though I'm not certain there were rankings in the late '50s like there are today. He was originally recruited as a QB, but served as both a running back and as a wideout/swing end. His punt returning was outstanding as well. Super good athlete and beloved by his near-rabid fans. His position switching limited his college honors, which were substantial. (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jay-wilkinson-1.html) But, as a recruit, he was extremely well regarded.

OldPhiKap
07-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Ace Parker > King Rice > Queen Latifah > Jack Sparrow.

Did life really exist before Al Gore invented the internet?

jimsumner
07-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Ace Parker > King Rice > Queen Latifah > Jack Sparrow.

Did life really exist before Al Gore invented the internet?

Kevin Bacon has to factor in here somewhere.

roywhite
07-26-2014, 11:48 AM

He's never far away.

Kevin Bacon appeared on the PBS show "Finding Your Roots" with Henry Louis Gates in 2011.

Henry Louis Gates taught at Duke University from 1989 to 1991.

OldPhiKap
07-26-2014, 01:05 PM

Kevin Bacon > King Rice too. But that's just because, as we all remember -- King Rice sucks.

revmel53
07-26-2014, 02:39 PM
The posted video of Bracey is crazy! Seems like a man among boys... And he was just a soph in the footage? Pretty impressive looking to me.

Reilly
07-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Ace Parker > King Rice > Queen Latifah > Jack Sparrow ...

Jack Sparrow > Tenspeed and Brown Shoe

budwom
07-27-2014, 08:51 AM

I could go on.

Ah, funny how so many of the "best" recruits in the country back then were white kids. Like Dick DeVenzio in hoops...as good
as Steve Jones was, he was clearly not the best running back in the country then. (But I quibble not with the assertion that "best recruit ever"
is hyperbole).

jimsumner
07-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Ah, funny how so many of the "best" recruits in the country back then were white kids. Like Dick DeVenzio in hoops...as good
as Steve Jones was, he was clearly not the best running back in the country then. (But I quibble not with the assertion that "best recruit ever"
is hyperbole).

Steve Jones was pretty darn good. The best Duke running back in my lifetime.

But Mike Dunn and Carl McGee were only a few years after Jones and neither of them met the over-rated white guy standard. But I'm not sure either was as good at Duke as was Jones.

budwom
07-28-2014, 08:41 AM

But Mike Dunn and Carl McGee were only a few years after Jones and neither of them met the over-rated white guy standard. But I'm not sure either was as good at Duke as was Jones.

Jones was absolutely terrific, no doubt about that. My only point was that back then, way, way pre-internet, scouting and evaluating was
extremely modest compared to today...many, many more camps, competitive events (in hoops especially) these days, so it's much easier to have a reasonable ranking
of players.

Apropos to today: we sure could use a top running back in this class, and Mr. Hines would surely fit the bill nicely.

4Gen
07-28-2014, 09:05 AM
When I was at Duke, Steve Jones was a great back, but also the punter. I remember once, playing Maryland I think, when the ball was long snapped to Steve to punt, and about the time he caught it, the entire Maryland defense turned around and headed backwards, presumably to set up a return. Steve almost fell down mid-punt, trying not to kick the damn ball, and then headed unscathed about forty yards until he ran into about 21 players in the same part of the field. It was hilarious.

(Steve, if you read this, would you please describe what happened accurately.)

Indoor66
07-28-2014, 09:08 AM

Jones had a very nice career with the Cardinals of NFL fame as well.

arnie
07-28-2014, 12:19 PM
When I was at Duke, Steve Jones was a great back, but also the punter. I remember once, playing Maryland I think, when the ball was long snapped to Steve to punt, and about the time he caught it, the entire Maryland defense turned around and headed backwards, presumably to set up a return. Steve almost fell down mid-punt, trying not to kick the damn ball, and then headed unscathed about forty yards until he ran into about 21 players in the same part of the field. It was hilarious.

(Steve, if you read this, would you please describe what happened accurately.)

I'm not Steve, but remember the play also. It was against the woeful Cavaliers. Your description is accurate - and very heads up on Jones' part.

Jim3k
07-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Jones was a helluva punter. I was at the Washington game in Seattle in 1972 when he unleashed the longest punt in Duke history. Wish I could remember how far it was--(80+ ?) But it stunned the Huskies (and everyone else).

nmduke2001
08-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Brandon McIlwain, the number 6 dual QB for 2016, just cut his list to 6 and we're on it. Nice to be competing with Auburn and Florida for kids.

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Bolt/McIlwain-cuts-list-to-six-30258757

http://247sports.com/Player/Brandon-McIlwain-26716

Bob Green
08-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Pinecrest HS (Southern Pines, NC) offensive lineman Sean Pollard (6'5" 300) will announce his college choice tonight at 7 pm. He has offers from Clemson, Duke, East Carolina, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Penn State, South Carolina and Wake Forest.

Per Twitter:

Sean Pollard @spollard76 · 3h

Will be committing at 7:00pm @RivalsFriedman

jimsumner
08-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Pinecrest HS (Southern Pines, NC) offensive lineman Sean Pollard (6'5" 300) will announce his college choice tonight at 7 pm. He has offers from Clemson, Duke, East Carolina, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Penn State, South Carolina and Wake Forest.

Per Twitter:

Has visited Duke several times, including last weekend, with his family.

Rivals has him as a four-star, scout as a 3-star.

Bob Green
08-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Pollard has decided to push his decision to next year:

Sean Pollard ‏@spollard76 · 40m
I'm pushing back my commitment until next year date not set @RivalsFriedman

That was a quick change.

Bob Green
08-22-2014, 05:45 PM
2016 RB Elijah Deveaux (Charlotte Christian) announced his Top 5 a few minutes ago: Duke, GT, NCSU, Pitt and WF. Deveaux (6'1" 205) is a 4-Star recruit on ESPN.

johnb
08-23-2014, 10:33 AM
2016 RB Elijah Deveaux (Charlotte Christian) announced his Top 5 a few minutes ago: Duke, GT, NCSU, Pitt and WF. Deveaux (6'1" 205) is a 4-Star recruit on ESPN.

3 of 5 predictions on 247 put him as eventually announcing for Duke. For what that's worth at this point....

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Great news! A stellar RB from Charlotte has committed to the 2016 recruiting class. Elijah Deveaux is fast and capable.
http://247sports.com/Player/Elijah-Deveaux-23881

Olympic Fan
10-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Great news! A stellar RB from Charlotte has committed to the 2016 recruiting class. Elijah Deveaux is fast and capable.

Two recruits for the Class of 2016 -- and both are in the ESPN Top 300. WR Scott Bracey is the nation's No. 32 overall recruit ... Deveaux is No. 238.

jimsumner
10-11-2014, 12:06 PM
When Cut was at Tennessee, western NC was one of his assigned recruiting areas. So, in the words of Harold Hill, he knows the territory, including the coaches. He has leveraged that knowledge into making the talent-rich greater Charlotte area a Duke pipeline.

sagegrouse
10-11-2014, 05:34 PM
When Cut was at Tennessee, western NC was one of his assigned recruiting areas. So, in the words of Harold Hill, he knows the territory, including the coaches. He has leveraged that knowledge into making the talent-rich greater Charlotte area a Duke pipeline.

Did he recruit legendary college QB and former congressman Heath Shuler? Heath played at Swain Co. HS and was NC POY.

rhynelander
11-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Welcome Duke's newest recruit, TE Mark Birmingham. He's a four star out of VA, like Bracey, who held offers from FSU, PSU, FL, MIA and VT. Looks like Cut is keeping 2016 rolling with impressive recruits.

http://247sports.com/Player/Mark-Birmingham-33469

roywhite
11-16-2014, 06:11 PM

Elijah Deveaux led his Charlotte Christian team to the NC Independent School state championship.

Charlotte Christian tops Charlotte Latin in overtime of Independent football title game

(http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/11/15/5316771/charlotte-christian-tops-charlotte.html#.VGktxcscS70)

...Deveaux running for 157 yards and accounting for all four Knights touchdowns (running for three and throwing for another)

-bdbd
11-17-2014, 12:29 AM
Welcome Duke's newest recruit, TE Mark Birmingham. He's a four star out of VA, like Bracey, who held offers from FSU, PSU, FL, MIA and VT. Looks like Cut is keeping 2016 rolling with impressive recruits.

http://247sports.com/Player/Mark-Birmingham-33469

That's a big-time commitment. And it covers a critical/position of need. He also sounds very firm (and articulate enough to help us with other recruits too. I'm thinking northern Virginia/DC could become a great recruiting hotbed for Duke. We already draw lots of kids from the area, and with MD now playing most of their away games way out in the Midwest, parents may not want to see their kids playing so far away. And VPI and UVA kinda down.... We'll see. :confused:

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-17-2014, 12:48 AM
Am I remembering correctly that all the recruits currently in this class are 4 star recruits?

Bob Green
11-17-2014, 05:01 AM
Am I remembering correctly that all the recruits currently in this class are 4 star recruits?

Yes, the 2016 class is off to a great start at the skill positions with a wide receiver, running back and tight end who all appear on the ESPN300 list.

johnb
11-19-2014, 06:40 PM
The Carolina game is big for a variety of reasons, but also for the future.

As an example, Brandon Mcllwain will be in the stands. He's a 4 star dual threat qb from Pennsylvania. His final list appears to be South Carolina, Penn State, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Florida, and us. As we keep saying, once upon a time, we'd be the name that doesn't belong with the others. As it stands in 2014, only Auburn is hotter...

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Four-star-QB-to-visit-Duke-32056737

johnb
12-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Our 4th terrific recruit for 2016 announced yesterday: Antone Williams is defensive back out of Georgia.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/blogs/bluezone/posts/2014/12/09/3-star-recruit-williams-commits-duke-football#.VIc9M4cmIVQ
http://247sports.com/Player/Antone-Williams-60274

ChillinDuke
12-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Pretty sweet.

- Chillin

chrishoke
12-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Offers from VPI, Louisville, Minnesota, Syracuse, Kentucky, Minnesota, Wisconsin.

Tall CB, me likey

Bob Green
12-19-2014, 01:46 PM
2016 Offensive guard Sean Pollard (Pinecrest HS) has committed to Clemson.

roywhite
12-25-2014, 01:19 PM
A great start for 2016:

Our first 2016 commit is very versatile.

After moving from receiver to QB, Bracey wins All-Metro player of the year (http://m.richmond.com/sports/high-school/article_98e642df-1d1f-56c7-9eda-131528ef5776.html?mode=jqm)

After racking up more than 1,800 yards rushing, passing and receiving, Bracey has been named the All-Metro player of the year.

He’s the first junior to win the award since Collegiate’s Russell Wilson in 2005. Wilson was also the last private schooler to win it.

With offers from Ohio State and Florida State in hand, Bracey committed to Duke in July. Once he arrives, he’s open to playing either quarterback or receiver.

Bob Green
01-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Myles Hudzick a safety from Bishop O'Connell HS in Arlington, VA has verbally committed:

http://duke.scout.com/player/8312425n-myles-hudzick

This is verbal #5 in the 2016 Class.

AncientPsychicT
01-07-2015, 12:44 AM
And our third from Virginia.

Bob Green
03-16-2015, 06:02 PM
Jaylen Miller, a 310 lb OL with multiple SEC offers, has verbally committed to Duke:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/208395/jaylen-miller

Offers include: Miami, Georgia Tech, Miss St, Miss, South Carolina, Missouri and others.

gam7
03-16-2015, 06:05 PM
Jaylen Miller, a 310 lb OL with multiple SEC offers, has verbally committed to Duke:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/208395/jaylen-miller

Offers include: Miami, Georgia Tech, Miss St, Miss, South Carolina, Missouri and others.

Same high school as Grayson Allen.

TruBlu
03-16-2015, 06:23 PM

"Not rated"? With offers from some pretty big-time football programs? What's up with that?

jimsumner
03-16-2015, 06:29 PM
"Not rated"? With offers from some pretty big-time football programs? What's up with that?

Late bloomer, still waiting evaluation.

-bdbd
03-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Late bloomer, still waiting evaluation.

Look at the offer sheets first. They are a lot more trustworthy than any rating service. The kid is a big recruit, in more ways than one!! ;)

WELCOMNE TO DUKE JAYLEN!!

Dev11
03-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Look at the offer sheets first. They are a lot more trustworthy than any rating service. The kid is a big recruit

For football, I definitely trust the offer sheet more than the ranking. It's really hard to scout high school football players who often have to grow a lot into their college roles. The guys who know best how to project those players are working for schools, not Rivals and Scout.

Bob Green
03-16-2015, 07:19 PM
4 Star running back Brittain Brown has received an offer from Duke:

Patrick Cacchio retweeted

Brittain⚡ ‏@BrittainBKB · 2h2 hours ago
just received an offer from Duke!!! #ACC #BlueDevils

He is 6'2 190 with a 4.49 40 yard time:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2623833/brittain-brown

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/195902/brittain-brown

devildeac
03-16-2015, 10:47 PM
4 Star running back Brittain Brown has received an offer from Duke:

He is 6'2 190 with a 4.49 40 yard time:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2623833/brittain-brown

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/195902/brittain-brown

That'd be a good size/time for a wide receiver, too;).

Thanks, Bob.

OldPhiKap
03-16-2015, 11:40 PM

Welcome, Jaylen!

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-17-2015, 03:07 PM

Consider how Jaylen will develop and grown under the supervision of the weight training and nutrition staff at Duke. Looking forward to seeing him grow into his full potential!

dpslaw
03-17-2015, 04:45 PM
Here's an interesting excerpt from a post on Wake's Old Gold and Black Boards. The post is from Deac94, the board's resident recruiting "guru":

OT Jaylen Miller (Jacksonville, FL) committed to Duke. I had removed Miller from my Board on March 1 because I felt he was out of reach for Wake Forest. He had P5 offers from schools like Ole Miss, Miami, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech and South Carolina. I go back and forth between bitterness and respect for what Duke is doing. From following these kids on Twitter I can tell you that recruits show more enthusiasm for Duke following their official visits than any other school in the area. Undoubtedly part of that stems from the football program leveraging the basketball program, but my perception is that there is more going on there as well. If a kid typically tweets “I had a good day at X school” after a typical visit, he will tweet something more like “Absolutely loved EVERYTHING about Duke” after visiting there. (Note: I wouldn’t be surprised to see their next commit be 4-star safety Eric Burrell who visited Wake for Junior Day)

OldPhiKap
03-17-2015, 05:22 PM
Here's an interesting excerpt from a post on Wake's Old Gold and Black Boards. The post is from Deac94, the board's resident recruiting "guru":

OT Jaylen Miller (Jacksonville, FL) committed to Duke. I had removed Miller from my Board on March 1 because I felt he was out of reach for Wake Forest. He had P5 offers from schools like Ole Miss, Miami, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech and South Carolina. I go back and forth between bitterness and respect for what Duke is doing. From following these kids on Twitter I can tell you that recruits show more enthusiasm for Duke following their official visits than any other school in the area. Undoubtedly part of that stems from the football program leveraging the basketball program, but my perception is that there is more going on there as well. If a kid typically tweets “I had a good day at X school” after a typical visit, he will tweet something more like “Absolutely loved EVERYTHING about Duke” after visiting there. (Note: I wouldn’t be surprised to see their next commit be 4-star safety Eric Burrell who visited Wake for Junior Day)

Thanks, that is enjoyable to hear/read.

No doubt, Cut has big mo going. Three bowls in a row, division champs two years ago, in the hunt last year, continually-improving recruiting classes, higher visibility, good national press, random Manning links, a few players into the NFL, etc. etc. etc.

When I was in Juarez for the Sun Bowl, one of the tattoos I got was "2015 National Champions" -- with a football and a basketball.

No pressure, guys, but I've committed.

jimsumner
03-17-2015, 10:49 PM
FWIW, Scout.com has Jaylen Miller ranked as a 3-star recruit.

http://duke.scout.com/player/8286086n-jaylen-miller

budwom
03-18-2015, 10:28 AM
I really like Scout, but (fwiw) they are pretty bad with their football recruit rankings. By far the best indicator of excellence
these days is checking out the offers kids muster, and in this case the offers are very very good.

Cutcliffe is getting more and more kids with highly impressive offer sheets, his current class (2016) is inarguably (IMHO)
off to his best start ever. Word seems to be we are heavily involved with lots and lots of top players.

jimsumner
03-18-2015, 12:09 PM
I really like Scout, but (fwiw) they are pretty bad with their football recruit rankings. By far the best indicator of excellence
these days is checking out the offers kids muster, and in this case the offers are very very good.

Cutcliffe is getting more and more kids with highly impressive offer sheets, his current class (2016) is inarguably (IMHO)
off to his best start ever. Word seems to be we are heavily involved with lots and lots of top players.

I agree. The purpose of linking scout.com in this case was a response to the concern posted upthread that he was unranked by another site and therefore must not be any good. In fact, a non-ranking simply means a player has not been evaluated. One national site has evaluated Miller and seems to like him very much.

Cut seems to have prioritized offensive line for the class of 2016 and is swinging for the fences, with realistic chances on some real studs. The positive national publicity for Laken Tomlinson cannot hurt. Nor will the next NFL draft.

budwom
03-18-2015, 12:56 PM
we are in accord, Jim...offer sheets are the best indicator for me as lots of these programs have been able to see the kids at their respective camps, and
they know what they're doing. But I'm always looking at the evaluating sites as well (even as Cut has been known to mock them).

jimsumner
03-22-2015, 11:21 PM
Duke got a commitment today from a 4-star linebacker with a most impressive offer sheet. Notre Dame, Clemson, VT, Tennessee. Et. Al.

http://duke.scout.com/story/1530129-blue-devils-land-4-olb-brandon-hill

anonj
03-22-2015, 11:56 PM
Duke got a commitment today from a 4-star linebacker with a most impressive offer sheet. Notre Dame, Clemson, VT, Tennessee. Et. Al.

Huge win for Cut and huge for our defense. It's pretty ridiculous seeing the guys we're getting to commit as opposed to just a few years ago. This coaching staff has made huge strides on the field and it's truly paying off in the recruiting game. Guys like Bracey, Hill, Deveaux and Birmingham along with Humphreys, Rosene, Boyce and Baker in the last class are big. These are players that the top 15 football schools in the country were hoping to get and we snagged them. Common theme among them is speed at the skill positions and big at the line of scrimmage.

Welcome to Duke Hill! Is it August yet?

OldPhiKap
03-23-2015, 07:22 AM

Huge win for Cut and huge for our defense. It's pretty ridiculous seeing the guys we're getting to commit as opposed to just a few years ago. This coaching staff has made huge strides on the field and it's truly paying off in the recruiting game. Guys like Bracey, Hill, Deveaux and Birmingham along with Humphreys, Rosene, Boyce and Baker in the last class are big. These are players that the top 15 football schools in the country were hoping to get and we snagged them. Common theme among them is speed at the skill positions and big at the line of scrimmage.

Great news. Welcome to Duke! Go Cut!

Bob Green
03-23-2015, 03:38 PM
This is great news. Recruiting has definitely turned the corner. Brandon Hill is from the same high school as current OT Gabe Brandner.

dudog84
03-23-2015, 06:47 PM

"Duke Hill"?!?!? You about gave me a heart attack! Then I realized Hill was the kid's name. I was afraid there was a new nomenclature linking us to that ugly shade of blue down the road.

Punctuation, please! (just messing with you)

OldPhiKap
03-25-2015, 08:47 PM
Recruits fill the spots of grads.

Great video on GoDuke.com of Pro Day is up. Best of luck to our graduates; our new guys coming in have big shoes to fill and great opportunities to carve their own future!

Avvocato
03-29-2015, 12:17 PM
Amazing job of recruiting, which seems to get better and better. Of course, when you recruit top talent, you start entering the world of having your recruits flipped. Let's hope our guys are firmly committed. It's also why college football needs an early signing period, but that's a different topic. Great recruiting start so far. Very excited to see how it progresses.

Mike Corey
04-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Another big fish has landed: An OL out of Georgia, Robert Kraeiling, who had offers from Alabama, Auburn, Penn State, and others.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Another big fish has landed: An OL out of Georgia, Robert Kraeiling, who had offers from Alabama, Auburn, Penn State, and others.

I like what I see in the current competition for recruits. Love it when Duke gets a big one right out of the SEC's backyard!

OldPhiKap
04-12-2015, 04:19 PM
Welcome!!!

ChillinDuke
04-12-2015, 04:27 PM

Wow. Auburn and Alabama.

Wow.

- Chillin

OldPhiKap
04-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Wow. Auburn and Alabama.

Wow.

- Chillin

Yup. And Penn State's tradition s obviously stout.

I remember when we competed with Richmond and East Carolina -- and lost.

Only six months or so to go!!!

SCMatt33
04-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Looks like a great offer list, though I'm a bit surprised that schools like Alabama and Auburn offered, but it doesn't appear that either of the Georgia schools offered despite him being in state. Any insight on the why?

jimsumner
04-12-2015, 06:48 PM
Luke Wattenburg, a 4-star OT from California tweeted that he is down to Duke and Washington.

Duke is on the short list of several other high 3, 4-star offensive linemen.

OldPhiKap
04-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Luke Wattenburg, a 4-star OT from California tweeted that he is down to Duke and Washington.

Duke is on the short list of several other high 3, 4-star offensive linemen.

Come East, young man!

Bob Green
04-12-2015, 07:31 PM

This is great news! Championships are won in the trenches. What an impressive offer list.

Bob Green
04-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Welcome 4* OT Liam Smith (6'5" 265):

Liam Smith ‏@liam_smith890 · 38m38 minutes ago
I am blessed and excited to announce that I have committed to the Duke Blue Devils! #DukeGang16 ��⚪️

BD80
04-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Welcome OT Liam Smith:

Wow! This should help future recruiting at QB, RB and receiver. The O-Line is the lynchpin to the entire offense. Coach Cut is getting it done!

arnie
04-13-2015, 03:27 PM
Wow! This should help future recruiting at QB, RB and receiver. The O-Line is the lynchpin to the entire offense. Coach Cut is getting it done!

If not for that minor event on April 6, I'd be convinced we're now a football school.

roywhite
04-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Duke is currently ranked #11 in the country on both Rivals and Scout for the 2016 recruiting class.

Recruiting, which has been gradually getting better, seems to be taking even longer strides as the on-field results come along.

jimsumner
04-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Welcome 4* OT Liam Smith (6'5" 265):

Duke has a good chance to get two more 4-star OL this class.

duke09hms
04-13-2015, 03:53 PM

I've read we have 2 spots for 3 four-star O-linemen - Yarbrough, Wattenburg, and a 3rd. Is this true, and who's the 3rd?

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-13-2015, 03:56 PM

What a wonderful goal: a four star offensive line!

duke blue brewcrew
04-13-2015, 04:03 PM

for a five OL committments?

jimsumner
04-13-2015, 04:16 PM
I've read we have 2 spots for 3 four-star O-linemen - Yarbrough, Wattenburg, and a 3rd. Is this true, and who's the 3rd?

These are the top two remaining OL targets. Michael Menet and Taleni Suhren are also in the mix.

duke09hms
04-13-2015, 04:40 PM
These are the top two remaining OL targets. Michael Menet and Taleni Suhren are also in the mix.

Menet looks like a solid 100% to PSU. From Twitter, it looks like Suhren tried to commit last night, but the Duke staff told him to wait after Kraeling committed right before him and now Smith today. Weird situation for us - telling a three-star recruit to hold off on his commitment - crazy days for Duke football.

Wattenburg looks the most likely with him down to us and UW.
Yarbrough seems the most wide open.

roywhite
04-13-2015, 04:51 PM
Love seeing this influx of talent on the OL. Key part of overall program success to have an established pipeline (usually involving redshirting and extensive strength training) turning out quality Offensive Lines.

More fun for the Thick Thursday crew (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209742703); gotta add those pounds.

duke blue brewcrew
04-13-2015, 04:58 PM

Menet looks like a solid 100% to PSU. From Twitter, it looks like Suhren tried to commit last night, but the Duke staff told him to wait after Kraeling committed right before him and now Smith today. Weird situation for us - telling a three-star recruit to hold off on his commitment - crazy days for Duke football.

I feel bad for Suhren, but it's true that times have changed with Duke Football. Andrew Boselli is a name I have heard a lot recently as well. It appears to be between Duke & FSU for him. Any scoop to dish here?

OldPhiKap
04-13-2015, 08:00 PM
Why wouldn't an OL want to be part of an incredibly dynamic offense?

Cut is building a monster!

P.S. - never too early to start thinking about going bowling!

nmduke2001
04-13-2015, 11:06 PM
I feel bad for Suhren, but it's true that times have changed with Duke Football. Andrew Boselli is a name I have heard a lot recently as well. It appears to be between Duke & FSU for him. Any scoop to dish here?

Yup, feel bad for kid. His tweets make it clear he's pretty disappointed.

uh_no
04-13-2015, 11:25 PM

oh, we're going bowling. if we don't, it would be a major disappointment, IMO, even with a new QB.

Never to early to be dreaming about that bowl win :)

Dev11
04-13-2015, 11:53 PM
Yup, feel bad for kid. His tweets make it clear he's pretty disappointed.

Unfortunately, that is high level football recruiting for you. Every kid has a list 15 schools long, so even the best programs have to cast wide nets. It's not like K or Cal in basketball, who get close to a majority of the dudes they offer.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-14-2015, 12:02 AM

I've been promoting a new paradigm for calendar management: schedule nothing in December.;)

BD80
04-14-2015, 06:48 AM
I've been promoting a new paradigm for calendar management: schedule nothing in December.;)

Ahem, early January.

budwom
04-14-2015, 08:32 AM

Forgeteth not Andy Boselli who is evidently visiting this weekend, he likes Duke a great deal, may well be leaning our way...FSU wants him badly...and seemingly
Suhren is now on the outside looking in...would be great to get a Boselli commitment this weekend...(Boselli is three stars on some sites, but borderline five on others, he's terrific).

duke blue brewcrew
04-14-2015, 09:41 AM
Forgeteth not Andy Boselli who is evidently visiting this weekend, he likes Duke a great deal, may well be leaning our way...FSU wants him badly...and seemingly
Suhren is now on the outside looking in...would be great to get a Boselli commitment this weekend...(Boselli is three stars on some sites, but borderline five on others, he's terrific).

That makes a birthday boy smile to read right there. I hope it happens this weekend. Boselli combined with one of the other two (Wattenburg or Yarbrough) would be a mammoth achievement of the class. I'm hoping we can do the same on the other side of the trenches as well. Duke needs depth on the D-Line.

jimsumner
04-14-2015, 10:44 AM
Back in the old days coaches would recruit as many quarterbacks as they could and disperse them to different positions.

Maybe Cut is trying to recruit 10 or so offensive linemen and disperse them to different positions. Smith can play tight end, Boselli fullback and surely there are some defensive tackles in the mix.

But seriously, how cool is this? Duke in a position to turn down really good players because equally good players have already spoken for those roster spots.

I suppose Wallace Wade had this problem. Maybe Murray. Last fifty years? Not so much.

Olympic Fan
04-14-2015, 11:00 AM
Not jump the gun, but there's a real good chance Duke could add a four-star QB prospect this week.

Chazz Surratt, a 6-2, 205 prospect from East Lincoln HS (NC) said he will decide by the end of this week between Duke and Vanderbilt -- Duke is the favorite, according to most gurus.

He also has offers from Clemson, UNC, Georgia Tech, N.C. State and Boston College. He would be the highest rated QB prospect signed by Cut since Sean Renfree.

Bob Green
04-14-2015, 11:11 AM
Not jump the gun, but there's a real good chance Duke could add a four-star QB prospect this week...Chazz Surratt, a 6-2, 205 prospect...

While we are not jumping the gun, if Chazz Surratt picks Duke, that would certainly give Coach Cut and Crew the inside track on 2017 WR prospect Sage Surratt.

jimsumner
04-14-2015, 11:12 AM
Not jump the gun, but there's a real good chance Duke could add a four-star QB prospect this week.

Chazz Surratt, a 6-2, 205 prospect from East Lincoln HS (NC) said he will decide by the end of this week between Duke and Vanderbilt -- Duke is the favorite, according to most gurus.

He also has offers from Clemson, UNC, Georgia Tech, N.C. State and Boston College. He would be the highest rated QB prospect signed by Cut since Sean Renfree.

Surratt also was a first-team all-state basketball player. So not only is he a top athlete, he could also give us four years of will-he-walk-on-to-the-basketball-team fun.

OldPhiKap
04-14-2015, 11:17 AM
Surratt also was a first-team all-state basketball player. So not only is he a top athlete, he could also give us four years of will-he-walk-on-to-the-basketball-team fun.

. . . and the threads suggesting that Surratt should get more minutes at the "4"

All of this is very cool news. I would like to think that the years of arriving are over -- we are a program that can contend for the conference title, and who knows what else from there.

Great time to be a Blue Devil!

roywhite
04-14-2015, 11:51 AM

Wait, hold the phone on Menet.

https://twitter.com/mike_menet72

This kid has been a huge Penn State priority for a good while, but Duke is right there, too.

devildeac
04-14-2015, 01:46 PM

oh, we're going bowling. if we don't, it would be a major disappointment, IMO, even with a new QB.

Never to early to be dreaming about that bowl win :)

Ran into Kelby's and Kyler's father (gently, of course, he's a big guy himself:o) at the University store on Saturday and he reported Kelby is progressing nicely, along with Braxton Deaver. They can't wait for the 2015 FB season and want to go to a higher level bowl game and finish with a victory this time. He is a very nice man and my wife was able to chat with his wife for a few minutes, too. They are not alums but both love Duke and think of it as their school.

nmduke2001
04-14-2015, 03:26 PM

I went over to a coworker who happens to be an Auburn grad to gloat a bit about Kraeiling. He reminded me that nothing is official until that pen hits the paper. Then he told me a story of a kid that tweeted a picture of him getting an Auburn tattoo after giving his verbal only to change his mind and go to Alabama.

BD80
04-14-2015, 03:29 PM
While we are not jumping the gun, if Chazz Surratt picks Duke, that would certainly give Coach Cut and Crew the inside track on 2017 WR prospect Sage Surratt.

A surfeit of Surratt?

Reilly
04-14-2015, 03:41 PM
A surfeit of Surratt?

Perhaps so on this April 14th anniversary of President Lincoln being shot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Surratt

budwom
04-14-2015, 04:41 PM
That makes a birthday boy smile to read right there. I hope it happens this weekend. Boselli combined with one of the other two (Wattenburg or Yarbrough) would be a mammoth achievement of the class. I'm hoping we can do the same on the other side of the trenches as well. Duke needs depth on the D-Line.

Liam Smith has known Yarbrough since he was one year old, (sandbox league?) and he is currently lobbying Yarbrough hard to come to Duke. Five tip top OL would be wonderful.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-14-2015, 05:35 PM
An amendment to the paradigm: schedule nothing from the beginning of December through Epiphany.

jafarr1
04-15-2015, 02:16 AM
A surfeit of Surratt?

Que Surratt, Surratt.

duke blue brewcrew
04-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Liam Smith has known Yarbrough since he was one year old, (sandbox league?) and he is currently lobbying Yarbrough hard to come to Duke. Five tip top OL would be wonderful.

I saw a premium article (I believe on Rivals) about Smith turning into a recruiter, but couldn't open it because I do not subscribe. I can only assume that the article was discussing this scenario. Talking about Walking On Sunshine if we end up with all 5 of those OL commits...WOW!

duke blue brewcrew
04-15-2015, 10:26 AM
How many OL slots Duke plans to fill with this recruiting class? It appears that the Blue Devils have 3 on board and 3 highly ranked very talented recruits in Yarbrough, Wattenburg and Boselli that could potentially pull the trigger still on an offer. Does Duke have room for all 6?

duke09hms
04-15-2015, 12:51 PM
How many OL slots Duke plans to fill with this recruiting class? It appears that the Blue Devils have 3 on board and 3 highly ranked very talented recruits in Yarbrough, Wattenburg and Boselli that could potentially pull the trigger still on an offer. Does Duke have room for all 6?

Make that 4 - Michal Menet, a borderline 4/5-star O-lineman recruit, is down to Duke and Penn State. Very unlikely that we land all four, but to be in the running for so many elite recruits with 3 already in the bag is awesome for us.

Menet (4*) - Duke or PSU
Wattenberg (4*) - Duke or Washington
Yarbrough (4*) - Duke, Stanford, UVA, Florida, Clemson
Boselli (3*) - Duke or FSU

roywhite
04-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Make that 4 - Michal Menet, a borderline 4/5-star O-lineman recruit, is down to Duke and Penn State. Very unlikely that we land all four, but to be in the running for so many elite recruits with 3 already in the bag is awesome for us.

Menet (4*) - Duke or PSU
Wattenberg (4*) - Duke or Washington
Yarbrough (4*) - Duke, Stanford, UVA, Florida, Clemson
Boselli (3*) - Duke or FSU

What does Cutcliffe say about our current recruiting? IIRC, he told one of the TV broadcasters, "we're fishing in different ponds". The offer sheets of these, and other prospects, are terrific.

There oughta be books written about the job Cutcliffe has done. Or a case study for MBA students about breathing life into an organization. I'd call it an amazing rebuilding job, but he was starting from about the lowest point of all bowl eligible schools, so just call it a building job. An epic building job.

duke09hms
04-15-2015, 01:33 PM
What does Cutcliffe say about our current recruiting? IIRC, he told one of the TV broadcasters, "we're fishing in different ponds". The offer sheets of these, and other prospects, are terrific.

There oughta be books written about the job Cutcliffe has done. Or a case study for MBA students about breathing life into an organization. I'd call it an amazing rebuilding job, but he was starting from about the lowest point of all bowl eligible schools, so just call it a building job. An epic building job.

Couldn't have said it better. We are now recruiting at the highest levels in the country. It's been a long hard journey, but Cutcliffe and staff have really begun reaping the rewards over the last year.

I only hope we're not compromising academic standards in taking our recruiting up a notch, since this is unexplored territory for Duke, and the pool of academically qualified 4/5-star recruits must be small. Encouraging to see we're competing with Stanford for a lot of them. Wattenberg was high on Stanford before cutting them out.

Mike Corey
04-15-2015, 02:22 PM
In my amateur opinion, the challenge was always convincing enough of the high-end talents that were going to Stanford, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt to instead matriculate at Duke.

I think we've done that, and then some.

There are plenty of high-achieving students that are high-achieving football players dispersed across the NCAA, and Duke is now attracting them better than they have in a long time.

There's so much momentum out of the football program right now, and I don't think we've compromised anything to get there.

OldPhiKap
04-15-2015, 02:53 PM
In my amateur opinion, the challenge was always convincing enough of the high-end talents that were going to Stanford, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt to instead matriculate at Duke.

There are plenty of high-achieving students that are high-achieving football players dispersed across the NCAA, and Duke is now attracting them better than they have in a long time.

There's so much momentum out of the football program right now, and I don't think we've compromised anything to get there.

It sure seems like we have kept -- if not increased -- the character of the young men being brought into the program.

While there may not be a direct correlation between character and academic achievement, by the same token the former usually fosters the latter.

If we start having players picked up with guns or in bar fights, I'll reconsider. But I have seen nothing to suggest that the players coming in are incapable of making the grades. And -- unlike some schools -- we actually suspend players for a year if they do not.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-15-2015, 03:36 PM
It sure seems like we have kept -- if not increased -- the character of the young men being brought into the program.

While there may not be a direct correlation between character and academic achievement, by the same token the former usually fosters the latter.

If we start having players picked up with guns or in bar fights, I'll reconsider. But I have seen nothing to suggest that the players coming in are incapable of making the grades. And -- unlike some schools -- we actually suspend players for a year if they do not.
And raised the team's academic average. There was a time when football players are Duke were expected to be a bit sub par academically. I can remember having conversations with some I knew back when I was on campus... conversations in which the guys talked about how they felt that they were expected to fit a stereotype of the "dumb jock."

nmduke2001
04-15-2015, 05:44 PM

Suhren will have a chance at a bit of revenge. Verbal to Wake today.

duke09hms
04-15-2015, 07:59 PM
Suhren will have a chance at a bit of revenge. Verbal to Wake today.

Yep, and 4* OL Luke Wattenberg who was down to Duke and U-Dub picked the Huskies today. Kind of weird pick to me, to choose UW over Duke and Stanford, especially for a Cali kid, but hey

Bob Green
04-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Yep, and 4* OL Luke Wattenberg who was down to Duke and U-Dub picked the Huskies today.

I hope he purchases a quality rain suit and some wool socks before heading off to the Pacific Northwest. The weather in Seattle absolutely sucks!

Richard Berg
04-16-2015, 01:22 AM
Yep, and 4* OL Luke Wattenberg who was down to Duke and U-Dub picked the Huskies today. Kind of weird pick to me, to choose UW over Duke and Stanford, especially for a Cali kid, but hey
Maybe he's a CS major.

duke blue brewcrew
04-16-2015, 09:22 AM
It looks like Yarbrough has set a date, but because it's a premium article I can't read it. Does anyone know when he plans to announce?

wilson
04-16-2015, 09:45 AM

There's so much momentum out of the football program right now, and I don't think we've compromised anything to get there.If Florida State can field a Rhodes Scholar/high-achieving football player, then surely Duke can field a competent football team composed of players who are also academically capable.
I don't imagine that the job of identifying said players is easy, but I'm confident that Cutcliffe et. al. are upholding Duke's academic standards and expectations.

Bob Green
04-17-2015, 03:26 PM
Offensive guard Andrew Boselli has committed to FSU:

Jacksonville Jaguars ‏@Jaguars · 7h7 hours ago
Congrats to @AndrewBoselli, son of #Jaguars great @TonyBoselli, on committing to @FSU_Football!

jimsumner
04-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Four-star QB Chazz Surratt, from East Lincoln (NC) HS is expected to announce tomorrow. Duke is considered the prohibitive favorite.

So, keep checking and keep your fingers crossed.

OldPhiKap
04-20-2015, 12:06 PM
Four-star QB Chazz Surratt, from East Lincoln (NC) HS is expected to announce tomorrow. Duke is considered the prohibitive favorite.

So, keep checking and keep your fingers crossed.

Who else is on the reported short list, Jim?

With the offensive line we have coming in, and the offense we run, Cut's tutelage would create a great opportunity for any top QB.

jimsumner
04-20-2015, 12:44 PM

With the offensive line we have coming in, and the offense we run, Cut's tutelage would create a great opportunity for any top QB.

It was widely regarded as a Duke-Carolina competition. Apparently the Tar Heels pushed for a commitment and when none was forthcoming, they moved on and accepted a commitment from another QB. Vanderbilt is also on his short list.

devildeac
04-20-2015, 12:52 PM

It was widely regarded as a Duke-Carolina competition. Apparently the Tar Heels pushed for a commitment and when none was forthcoming, they moved on and accepted a commitment from another QB. Vanderbilt is also on his short list.

Glad he's not from Kinston:rolleyes:.

(kidding, kidding)

Sounds like he'd be a great addition to the 2016 class.

jimsumner
04-20-2015, 02:35 PM
Glad he's not from Kinston:rolleyes:.

(kidding, kidding)

Sounds like he'd be a great addition to the 2016 class.

One of Duke's greatest quarterbacks is a Kinston native, the great Leo Hart.

devildeac
04-20-2015, 02:47 PM
One of Duke's greatest quarterbacks is a Kinston native, the great Leo Hart.

Who recruited Leo Hart? Maybe we could get him to help K with Brandon Ingram's recruitment. STAT!!!!

;):rolleyes:

duke blue brewcrew
04-21-2015, 10:20 AM
I am incredibly biased and will actively read anyone's material that covers Duke. I think Adam Rowe does a great job and I enjoy reading what he puts out there. That said, is it just me? Based on the title of the article linked below, doesn't Adam fail to deliver on the one critical piece of information the title hints at? Based on comments from other posters, my assumption is that he will announce today?

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Four-Star-2016-QB-Chazz-Surratt-sets-decision-date-36871774

Duvall
04-21-2015, 10:25 AM
I am incredibly biased and will actively read anyone's material that covers Duke. I think Adam Rowe does a great job and I enjoy reading what he puts out there. That said, is it just me? Based on the title of the article linked below, doesn't Adam fail to deliver on the one critical piece of information the title hints at? Based on comments from other posters, my assumption is that he will announce today?

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Four-Star-2016-QB-Chazz-Surratt-sets-decision-date-36871774

Announcement at 2:40 this afternoon. (http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/high-school/chazz-surratt-to-announce-college-decision-tuesday-1.466893)

duke blue brewcrew
04-21-2015, 01:54 PM
Announcement at 2:40 this afternoon. (http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/high-school/chazz-surratt-to-announce-college-decision-tuesday-1.466893)

Thanks for sharing Duvall, this is exactly what I wanted to see. 8 minutes and counting. Potentially a massive recruiting news day for Duke. Chazz would be the perfect cherry on top of the Thornton sundae Blue Devil fans were served a little bit ago!

nmduke2001
04-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Welcome to Duke, Chazz!

stillcrazie
04-21-2015, 02:57 PM
http://247sports.com/Player/Chazz-Surratt-37988

jimsumner
04-21-2015, 03:02 PM
http://247sports.com/Player/Chazz-Surratt-37988

FWIW, his younger brother Sage is a stud wide receiver and an even better basketball player.

Bob Green
04-21-2015, 03:09 PM
This is great news! Welcome to Duke, Chazz Surratt!

Native
04-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Don't look now, but Duke Football has the ninth-ranked recruiting class in 2016.

Bluedog
04-21-2015, 03:21 PM
Don't look now, but Duke Football has the ninth-ranked recruiting class in 2016.

And somehow 9th in the country is 4th in the ACC? Wow. ACC becoming the new SEC, it appears. (FSU #1, Miami #2, and Clemson #8). Does Alabama not need any new players in the class of 2016? They are down to 25, which seems ridiculously low for them. Great get!! Welcome to Duke Chazz!

sagegrouse
04-21-2015, 03:22 PM

What's the scorecard on recruiting? How many have announced for Duke? I assume we are aiming for 20 or so signings.

johnb
04-21-2015, 03:26 PM
And somehow 9th in the country is 4th in the ACC? Wow. ACC becoming the new SEC, it appears. (FSU #1, Miami #2, and Clemson #8). Does Alabama not need any new players in the class of 2016? They are down to 25, which seems ridiculously low for them. Great get!! Welcome to Duke Chazz!

congrats to FB and BB!! Great gets.

I wouldn't be too worried about Alabama's football recruits; they'll be fine...

Bob Green
04-21-2015, 03:30 PM
What's the scorecard on recruiting. How many have announced for Duke? I assume we are aiming for 20 or so signings.

Surratt is the 10th verbal in the class:

4 Stars: Bracey (WR), Birmingham (TE), Hill (LB), Smith (OT), Surratt (QB)
3 Stars: Deveaux (RB), Kraeling (OT), Miller (OG), Williams (CB)
2 Stars: Hudzick (S)

Those rankings are per Scout.

jimsumner
04-21-2015, 03:31 PM
congrats to FB and BB!! Great gets.

I wouldn't be too worried about Alabama's football recruits; they'll be fine...

It's early. The top-tier SEC recruits tend to decide late.

moonpie23
04-21-2015, 03:31 PM
awesome news.....

duke is ROLLING today!!!!

CameronBornAndBred
04-21-2015, 03:35 PM
awesome news.....

duke is ROLLING today!!!!
Totally awesome. Two future team leaders in one day. Sweet.

SCMatt33
04-21-2015, 03:38 PM
I would certainly take these early rankings with several large grains of salt, even more so than you're average recruiting rankings. These team rankings are largely due to a few teams like Duke having a big number of players committed already. For example, Oklahoma is currently ranked 50th. Have they suddenly lost the ability to recruit in Norman? No, they just have only three guys committed so far. With the class size limits in football, almost everyone ends up with 20-25 players and quantity no longer plays much of a role. Beyond that, we're still Al oat 9 months away from players enrolling early and 10 months from signing day, and we all know that you can't really count on anyone 100% until the letter is faxed in or they set foot on campus. Certainly this class is shaping up very good so far, but I'll still be ecstatic if Duke is somewhere in the top 30 classes when all is said and done.

OZ
04-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Surratt is the 10th verbal in the class:

4 Stars: Bracey (WR), Birmingham (TE), Hill (LB), Smith (OT), Surratt (QB)
3 Stars: Deveaux (RB), Kraeling (OT), Miller (OG), Williams (CB)
2 Stars: Hudzick (S)

Those rankings are per Scout.

Five four stars! I understand all that is relative to someone's opinion; but last year - if my memory is correct - we had two four stars and one of those ended up signing with someone else. This is a remarkable step forward.

OZ
04-21-2015, 03:45 PM
I would certainly take these early rankings with several large grains of salt, even more so than you're average recruiting rankings. These team rankings are largely due to a few teams like Duke having a big number of players committed already. For example, Oklahoma is currently ranked 50th. Have they suddenly lost the ability to recruit in Norman? No, they just have only three guys committed so far. With the class size limits in football, almost everyone ends up with 20-25 players and quantity no longer plays much of a role. Beyond that, we're still Al oat 9 months away from players enrolling early and 10 months from signing day, and we all know that you can't really count on anyone 100% until the letter is faxed in or they set foot on campus. Certainly this class is shaping up very good so far, but I'll still be ecstatic if Duke is somewhere in the top 30 classes when all is said and done.

While I fully understand all that; today, I am not going to listen to the negative waves. Today, I am going to enjoy a great day for Duke and worry about tomorrow... tomorrow.

budwom
04-21-2015, 04:13 PM
However, there is a factor which works against the premise that rankings now are premature. Later on lots of teams will have lots of highly ranked kids committed (think of a bunch of SEC teams here)
and historically a pretty large number of them fail to qualify, so the rankings of those schools turn out to be overly optimistic. True, we may well not end up having a top ten class, but
there is zero doubt that thus far this is a historically good Duke football class.

Acymetric
04-21-2015, 05:51 PM
However, there is a factor which works against the premise that rankings now are premature. Later on lots of teams will have lots of highly ranked kids committed (think of a bunch of SEC teams here)
and historically a pretty large number of them fail to qualify, so the rankings of those schools turn out to be overly optimistic. True, we may well not end up having a top ten class, but
there is zero doubt that thus far this is a historically good Duke football class.

We also don't have significantly more than most other top 10 teams.

Believe 5 of our guys are 4 star on at least one (or more) of the primary recruiting sites. All are rated 3 star on at least one of the sites. Scout has us with one 2-star and I believe he is yet to be rated (safety Myles Hudzick).

Someone is keeping a great thread for this over on the Scout board:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1093&t=13798949 (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1093&t=13798949)

Offer lists are even more impressive than the rankings!

-jk
04-21-2015, 08:06 PM
When is Signing (aka Decommit/Bail/I got mine) day?

I really worry about FB verbals...

-jk

uh_no
04-21-2015, 08:13 PM

-jk

have we ever had a big issue with this? from what I've read, if Cut finds you've talked to another team, the offer is rescinded.

OldPhiKap
04-21-2015, 08:21 PM
I am extremely jacked about this news! What a class Cut is putting together.

He came to compete for championships. Here we are.

Let's Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!

(I got a 2015-16 Football Championship tattoo in Juarez at the Sun Bowl -- don't make me a liar guys!)

Bob Green
04-21-2015, 08:26 PM

-jk

The first Wednesday in February.

jimsumner
04-21-2015, 09:31 PM
have we ever had a big issue with this? from what I've read, if Cut finds you've talked to another team, the offer is rescinded.

Duke has lost some verbals. Last year Duke lost 4-star tight end Tyler Petite to Southern Cal and 3-star wide receiver Flynn Nagel to Northwestern, both local schools that swooped in late. Another commit was dropped for academic reasons and a fourth commit did in fact kinda fib to Duke about visiting another school and everyone agreed that maybe it was time to move on.

So, yes it happens.

nyesq83
04-21-2015, 10:48 PM
The players who go elsewhere can always transfer to Duke if they don't play enough.
If we still want them and they are Duke material!

:D

Bob Green
04-22-2015, 05:07 AM
The players who go elsewhere can always transfer to Duke if they don't play enough.
If we still want them and they are Duke material!

:D

Scholarship limitations come into play. The decision to back out of a verbal commitment and flip to another school is an irreversible choice.

duke blue brewcrew
04-22-2015, 08:26 AM
I am extremely jacked about this news! What a class Cut is putting together.

He came to compete for championships. Here we are.

Let's Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!

(I got a 2015-16 Football Championship tattoo in Juarez at the Sun Bowl -- don't make me a liar guys!)

OPK - AMEN brother! I've said it in this thread & others many times...Coach Cut for President! I read some of his comments about recruiting for this class. To paraphrase Cut said, "they were fishing in some different holes this year and it appears to be paying off for us." All I can say is, Coach Cut, please keep doing what you're doing, because this is exciting as hell for die hard fans, like the ones on this board, to watch come together! I know Duke is a long way from the finish line with this class, they still have more players to recruit and a lot of signatures to collect before it is all official. Personally, I could get spoiled to this kind of action pretty darn quick and can't wait to see what happens next! Very anxious to see what Menet and Yarbrough do, and to see what kind of talent Duke can come up with for the D side of the trenches. LET'S GO DUKE!

Bob Green
04-22-2015, 02:43 PM
...and to see what kind of talent Duke can come up with for the D side of the trenches.

Signing up some big guns for the defensive line is an obvious next step in 2016; however, I am optimistic about the D-Line recruits Coach Cut has inked the past two classes. There will be three redshirt freshmen defensive linemen on the roster: Edgar Cerenord (DT), Quaven Ferguson (DT) and Taariq Shabazz (DE), plus five true freshmen: Marquies Price (DE), Trevon McSwain (DE), Brandon Boyce (DT), Zach Morris (DT) and Twazanga Mugala (DE). Six of the eight are three star recruits (Ferguson and Mugala are the two 2 stars).

I'm not attempting to downplay the need to sign some strong defensive line recruits in 2016, but I do believe it is important to acknowledge the cupboard isn't bare. Coach Cutcliffe and staff have already assembled some future depth for the defensive trenches. Taking a big step forward in 2016 would be a significant development.

duke blue brewcrew
04-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Signing up some big guns for the defensive line is an obvious next step in 2016; however, I am optimistic about the D-Line recruits Coach Cut has inked the past two classes. There will be three redshirt freshmen defensive linemen on the roster: Edgar Cerenord (DT), Quaven Ferguson (DT) and Taariq Shabazz (DE), plus five true freshmen: Marquies Price (DE), Trevon McSwain (DE), Brandon Boyce (DT), Zach Morris (DT) and Twazanga Mugala (DE). Six of the eight are three star recruits (Ferguson and Mugala are the two 2 stars).

I'm not attempting to downplay the need to sign some strong defensive line recruits in 2016, but I do believe it is important to acknowledge the cupboard isn't bare. Coach Cutcliffe and staff have already assembled some future depth for the defensive trenches. Taking a big step forward in 2016 would be a significant development.

Bob, as always I agree with you. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I'm very excited about the young talent Duke has at the position. That said, I still believe it is the one area where the Blue Devils could still add quality depth, and see who eventually wins PT for the position. I am very excited to see some of the ILB/OLB talent Duke has offered and is strongly considering the Blue Devils as their college choice. Putting opposing offenses off schedule with their execution through interruption and pressure is something I would love to see the D start doing more of, and it looks like there is a good foundation. I want to see our boys build on that. GO DUKE!

Bob Green
04-22-2015, 03:17 PM
That said, I still believe it is the one area where the Blue Devils could still add quality depth, and see who eventually wins PT for the position.

Absolutely! I agree with you 100 percent. You can never have enough defensive linemen.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Absolutely! I agree with you 100 percent. You can never have enough defensive linemen.

If anyone wants to consider what would be too much depth at every position, ask Nick Saban.

duke blue brewcrew
04-22-2015, 04:14 PM
If anyone wants to consider what would be too much depth at every position, ask Nick Saban.

Except maybe at QB? Two years in a row, post-grad transfer interest at the QB position for Bama

Olympic Fan
04-22-2015, 05:08 PM

FWIW, Cut said on the ACC teleconference that Price, who enrolled early and went through spring practice, still has a lot to learn, but has the potential to be the best DE Duke has had in his tenure here. He also said that there's a chance that a couple of freshmen DL will contribute this year. At the same time, he was raving about Wray, AJ Wolf and the other returnees on the DL.

Bob Green
04-22-2015, 07:58 PM
FWIW, Cut said on the ACC teleconference that Price, who enrolled early and went through spring practice, still has a lot to learn, but has the potential to be the best DE Duke has had in his tenure here.

Those are strong words from Coach Cut that are great to read. A DE who is a great pass rusher can really impact the game. Think Vic Beasley at Clemson.

roywhite
04-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Top 300 Prospects Class of 2016 (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/rn300/sort/rank/class/2016)

3 of Duke's early commits in this ESPN updated 2016 list:
Bracey #224
Kraeling 274
Birmingham 286

Some prized OL with Duke in contention
Menet 51
Yarbrough 121

duke blue brewcrew
04-24-2015, 11:55 AM
I've gotten spoiled to seeing this thread on page 1 of the boards. Any news on upcoming announcements of any prime targets that I may have missed? Menet? Yarbrough? Bueller?

Bob Green
04-24-2015, 02:03 PM
Any news on upcoming announcements of any prime targets that I may have missed? Menet? Yarbrough? Bueller?

I've read Yarbrough will announce on May 21.

Bob Green
04-24-2015, 05:45 PM
ESPN recently updated their rankings and OT Robert Kraeling and OG Jaylen Miller are now rated 4*. That means 7 of 10 verbal commits are ranked 4* by either ESPN or Scout:

Scott Bracey - 4* on ESPN & Scout
Mark Birmingham - 4* on ESPN & Scout
Chazz Surratt - 4* on ESPN & Scout
Robert Kraeling - 4* on ESPN
Jaylen Miller - 4* on ESPN
Brandon Hill - 4* on Scout
Liam Smith - 4* on Scout

Player camps will take place in June and July so we should see some recruiting activity during those months.

CameronBornAndBred
04-24-2015, 06:08 PM
ESPN recently updated their rankings and OT Robert Kraeling and OG Jaylen Miller are now rated 4*. That means 7 of 10 verbal commits are ranked 4* by either ESPN or Scout:

:cool: One day we'll be watching games on Coach Cut Field.

OldPhiKap
04-24-2015, 06:12 PM

And if we are lucky, we will be sitting in the Coach Scotty Montgomery luxury box.

devildeac
04-24-2015, 07:16 PM

Liam Smith - 4* on Scout

Player camps will take place in June and July so we should see some recruiting activity during those months.

And if we are lucky, we will be sitting in the Coach Scotty Montgomery luxury box.

Football school;).

budwom
04-25-2015, 08:22 AM

I strongly suspect that will actually happen in the near future. First the palace must be completed.

CameronBornAndBred
04-25-2015, 09:30 AM
I strongly suspect that will actually happen in the near future. First the palace must be completed.
And an ACC championship or two needs to be won. I truly believe that will happen in the near future. I can't wait to wear that t-shirt.

budwom
04-25-2015, 12:11 PM
And an ACC championship or two needs to be won. I truly believe that will happen in the near future. I can't wait to wear that t-shirt.

I think Cut gets the field named after him with or without an ACC Championship. The job he's done has been remarkable. But sure, throw in a championship or two and I'm fine with that.

uh_no
04-25-2015, 01:04 PM
I think Cut gets the field named after him with or without an ACC Championship. The job he's done has been remarkable. But sure, throw in a championship or two and I'm fine with that.

lets get a bowl win first. then we can chat about naming the field.

roywhite
04-25-2015, 03:11 PM
Duke making moves on the trail (http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/81593/duke-making-moves-on-the-trail)

Kraeling became the most recent of that group to pledge his future to Durham, N.C., on April 12. And Duke made more noise this week by landing its fourth-highest recruit, four-star athlete Chazz Surratt (Denver, N.C./East Lincoln), who could be the program's quarterback of the future after picking Duke on Tuesday over North Carolina, Wake Forest and Clemson.

Duke's three current ESPN 300 commits trails just Florida State (10), Miami (9) and Clemson (4) in the ACC. Duke currently has 10 players committed from the 2016 class.

Bob Green
04-26-2015, 10:28 AM
Duke needs a FG kicker in 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KvSIIorUOQ

brevity
04-26-2015, 01:17 PM

I can't think of a last name that's more Canadian than "Molson". And for long range scoring potential, "J.J." is also a pretty good name to have.

conmanlhughes
04-26-2015, 01:23 PM
J.J. For 3... :D

devildeac
04-26-2015, 01:23 PM

I can't judge those distances very well so I'll assume he's regularly banging them through the uprights from about 60 yards, in addition to hammering those punts 60+ yards with hang times averaging about 10 seconds :o;). (Cinder block measurements just don't translate well to the gridiron:rolleyes:.)

Seriously, thanks for finding and sharing, Bob.

duke blue brewcrew
04-27-2015, 08:25 AM
In the incredibly high hopes that Ingram commits to Duke this evening, what are the chances that Duke Football could score a big commit today as well? Last week, the day that Thornton committed to play basketball for Duke, Chazz Surratt became the first 4Star QB commit for Coach Cut since Renfree. Can we get a repeat today? Menet? Yarbrough? A big time RB, DL or LB maybe? That would be AWESOME!

jimsumner
04-27-2015, 11:11 AM
In the incredibly high hopes that Ingram commits to Duke this evening, what are the chances that Duke Football could score a big commit today as well? Last week, the day that Thornton committed to play basketball for Duke, Chazz Surratt became the first 4Star QB commit for Coach Cut since Renfree. Can we get a repeat today? Menet? Yarbrough? A big time RB, DL or LB maybe? That would be AWESOME!

Inasmuch as a basketball team brings in 3-5 guys a year and a football team brings in 16-20 or so, I hope Cut isn't dependent of basketball commitments. :)

-bdbd
04-27-2015, 06:35 PM

OK FB recruits.... Now that Ingram is in the big royal blue truck, aren't we due today for another FB commitment???
Who's going to step up next?? ;)

duke blue brewcrew
04-27-2015, 09:05 PM
OK FB recruits.... Now that Ingram is in the big royal blue truck, aren't we due today for another FB commitment???
Who's going to step up next?? ;)

That's what I'm talking about right there. I'm a greedy Duke fan who wants to double dip my Blue Devil Recruiting Glory chip!

Bob Green
04-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Here is an article which recaps the recent visit of DE prospect Houston Miller (6'3" 228):

http://duke.scout.com/story/1541731-houston-miller-recaps-duke-visit

Miller has Power 5 conference offers from Duke, Boston College, California, Iowa and Vanderbilt.

Miller could see his stock rise as the spring evaluation period continues, especially after his eye-opening testing performance at Nike's The Opening Dallas regional camp in mid-March, when he ran a 4.67 laser-timed 40 and recorded a very impressive 4.18-second pro agility, possibly easing concerns about his ability to move laterally in space when playing as a stand-up defender.

OldPhiKap
04-28-2015, 07:45 PM
He looks like a beast. Would love to see him at the Devil position.

In addition to the team's you mention, it looks like Missou and Arkansas may be getting interested too. So his star is rising. Like to hear that Cut was the first to target him though -- both in terms of what he hopefully takes from that, and Cut's proven ability to find talent before the ratings sheets catch up.

Gewebe14
04-29-2015, 10:19 AM

Liam Smith - 4* on Scout

Clearly attributable to the age-old Kid Commits to Duke, Automatically Bump Him In the Ratings Factor.

Bob Green
05-03-2015, 06:35 PM
3* Moe Neal (ESPN lists him as a RB, while Scout lists him as an Athlete) has announced his Top 5:

http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/high-school/prep-notebook-forestview-running-back-picks-top-5-1.473060

The 5-foot-10, 161-pound junior announced via Twitter a top five of Boston College, Duke, Mississippi State, Syracuse and Wake Forest.

OldPhiKap
05-03-2015, 07:17 PM
(Scout lists him as an Athlete)

Cut knows how to use them!

duke blue brewcrew
05-04-2015, 09:29 AM
I've been gone all weekend, so if this has been discussed previously, I apologize. It can't hurt the Blue Devils chances that current recruits are seeing Laken Tomlinson go in the 1st round & Crowder in the 4th round. I hope Menet and Yarbrough were taking note. Cofield was someone I was hoping to see drafted, but it's nice to see that he, Boone, Blakeney & JDO have found potential UDFA opportunities on NFL rosters. I hope they find the same degree of success that Juwan did with the Broncos. GO DUKE!

duke blue brewcrew
05-06-2015, 08:48 AM
Has there been any speculation or confirmed time tables on when Kamara might announce his decision?

duke blue brewcrew
05-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Just in case some of the addicts on this forum haven't seen this little update, it's nice to hear it straight from the horse's mouth...

http://duke.scout.com/story/1542171-duke-in-hunt-for-four-star-tackle?s=167

Avvocato
05-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Just in case some of the addicts on this forum haven't seen this little update, it's nice to hear it straight from the horse's mouth...

http://duke.scout.com/story/1542171-duke-in-hunt-for-four-star-tackle?s=167

Thanks for the link. Sounds like a good kid. Whether he chooses Duke or not, great hearing how highly Liam Smith is praising the program.

MattC09
05-06-2015, 08:16 PM
https://twitter.com/BrittainBKB/status/596103066312712192

Brittain Brown (RB/S/Athlete) from Georgia committed to Duke! Listed as 4-star and in ESPN 300!

Bob Green
05-06-2015, 08:35 PM
Brittain Brown is the 11th verbal commit and the 8th 4 star. Coach Cut is building a dominant 2016 class.

OldPhiKap
05-06-2015, 08:36 PM
https://twitter.com/BrittainBKB/status/596103066312712192

Brittain Brown (RB/S/Athlete) from Georgia committed to Duke! Listed as 4-star and in ESPN 300!

Welcome Brittain!!!!

devildeac
05-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Brittain Brown is the 11th verbal commit and the 8th 4 star. Coach Cut is building a dominant 2016 class.

Bob gets credit for this link, too:

That's quite a list the young man has, err, had;).

OldPhiKap
05-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Bob gets credit for this link, too:

That's quite a list the young man has, err, had;).

Extremely impressive.

#DukeGang

duke blue brewcrew
05-06-2015, 09:20 PM

I've been excited about the possibility of landing this young man for a while! Impressive offer sheet and rankings no matter where you look. Tip of the cap to Coach Cut & Co once again. I know Duke still needs a signed LOI, but what a huge get to keep the party going that is the 2016 class! GO DUKE!!!

Mike Corey
05-06-2015, 10:56 PM
The Britt is coming!

OldPhiKap
05-06-2015, 10:58 PM
The Britt is coming!

One if by land, two if by swing pass!

-bdbd
05-06-2015, 10:58 PM
Wow - what a great get!

Per the Scout article, he had at least twelve other offers, most of those from P5 schools - Duke, Ga Tech (2nd place), Ole Miss (3rd place), plus Nebraska, Clemson, UVA, Vanderbilt, Illinois, etc. Not bad at all!

Though he's listed as an "athlete" - and a damn good one! - Duke signed him as a RB. Brown says the Duke coaches committed to shutting down recruiting at his position (RB) if he committed. He also says he will not be visiting/considering any other schools. Even w/o blazing speed, this kid looks cut. Probably the highest rated RB we've had in a while.

http://duke.scout.com/story/1544531-blue-devils-get-brittain-brown?s=167

johnb
05-06-2015, 11:13 PM
According to 247, Mr. Brown also got a Stanford offer while he was in the process of calling other coaches with his news. This really is shaping into a remarkable class....

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Brittain-Brown-commits-to-Duke-37150313

devildeac
05-07-2015, 06:49 AM

3 if by Rivers.

Oh, sorry, wrong sport ;) .

OldPhiKap
05-07-2015, 07:21 AM
3 if by Rivers.

Oh, sorry, wrong sport ;) .

Deep 3

duke blue brewcrew
05-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Wow - what a great get!

Per the Scout article, he had at least twelve other offers, most of those from P5 schools - Duke, Ga Tech (2nd place), Ole Miss (3rd place), plus Nebraska, Clemson, UVA, Vanderbilt, Illinois, etc. Not bad at all!

Though he's listed as an "athlete" - and a damn good one! - Duke signed him as a RB. Brown says the Duke coaches committed to shutting down recruiting at his position (RB) if he committed. He also says he will not be visiting/considering any other schools. Even w/o blazing speed, this kid looks cut. Probably the highest rated RB we've had in a while.

http://duke.scout.com/story/1544531-blue-devils-get-brittain-brown?s=167

Shaq Powell and and Desmond Scott were both 4 Stars coming out of HS. That said, I'm excited about this young man for sure! His rankings vary from a 3* to a 4* depending on what site you are looking at, but whatever. He's an exciting big time athlete, and I know Coach Cut & Co will use him well.

RepoMan
05-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Welcome Brittain!

This class is amazing, and we may not be done yet. We can't thank Coach Cutcliffe enough. His vision; his commitment to Duke; and his insistence on doing things the right way. I was in school during the Spurrier era, and it was loads of fun. Last team with the ball wins. But, he did not build a program the way Coach Cut is building this program. Coach Cut is establishing a strong foundation with a pipeline of talent that will extend to the future. Moreover, he has changed what was perhaps once of the worst losing cultures in D1 sports. And, he has shown what you can do at this University. He has a great platform to sell, and a track record of success. A winning combination. Perhaps the best thing about this resurgence is the fact that we are doing all this with a high character coach recruiting high character kids. Great stuff. Now, it's up to the fans to show the support.

OldPhiKap
05-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Welcome Brittain!

This class is amazing, and we may not be done yet. We can't thank Coach Cutcliffe enough. His vision; his commitment to Duke; and his insistence on doing things the right way. I was in school during the Spurrier era, and it was loads of fun. Last team with the ball wins. But, he did not build a program the way Coach Cut is building this program. Coach Cut is establishing a strong foundation with a pipeline of talent that will extend to the future. Moreover, he has changed what was perhaps once of the worst losing cultures in D1 sports. And, he has shown what you can do at this University. He has a great platform to sell, and a track record of success. A winning combination. Perhaps the best thing about this resurgence is the fact that we are doing all this with a high character coach recruiting high character kids. Great stuff. Now, it's up to the fans to show the support.

Very well-said. Wholly agree.

Cut has a vision and a passion to get there. We are blessed to have a number of outstanding leaders at Duke, and Cut doesn't take a back seat to anyone in that department.

Bob Green
05-07-2015, 11:28 AM
His rankings vary from a 3* to a 4* depending on what site you are looking at, but whatever.

Brown is #283 on ESPN's Top 300 list. That is a nice feather in his hat.

duke79
05-07-2015, 11:34 AM
Welcome Brittain!

Well said and very true !! And, YES, we need to get more fans in the seats - Duke undergrads, grad students and university employees and people in the Durham community. I don't understand why we can't average 30,000 to 40,000 fans per game, given the size of the potential fan base. I have to admit it is somewhat disheartening to watch the Duke games on TV and see the stadium half full (at best). It has to be at least somewhat discouraging to the coaches and players.

chrishoke
05-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Our average rating for the 11 member 2016 class per 247 Sports, 87.45, would be the second highest rated recruit in our excellent 2015 class. Wow!

uh_no
05-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Well said and very true !! And, YES, we need to get more fans in the seats - Duke undergrads, grad students and university employees and people in the Durham community. I don't understand why we can't average 30,000 to 40,000 fans per game, given the size of the potential fan base. I have to admit it is somewhat disheartening to watch the Duke games on TV and see the stadium half full (at best). It has to be at least somewhat discouraging to the coaches and players.

Because beer is good and good from my fridge is cheap

duke blue brewcrew
05-07-2015, 12:42 PM
Because beer is good and good from my fridge is cheap

So is beer from your cooler before the game, at halftime and after to celebrate the win. GO DUKE FOOTBALL!!!

uh_no
05-07-2015, 03:30 PM
So is beer from your cooler before the game, at halftime and after to celebrate the win. GO DUKE FOOTBALL!!!

you don't have to convince me...I go to the games....but those are reasons people don't go.

Dev11
05-07-2015, 03:37 PM
I believe I managed to bring 4 Busch Lights into a Duke Football game. I don't think that counts as "good beer," though.

ChillinDuke
05-07-2015, 04:41 PM
I believe I managed to bring 4 Busch Lights into a Duke Football game. I don't think that counts as "good beer," though.

It doesn't.

- Chillin

Mike Corey
05-07-2015, 04:58 PM

Did someone say swing?

http://be-a-movie-star.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/mike-myers-austin-powers1-620x349.jpeg

roywhite
05-08-2015, 06:19 AM
A key part of Coach Cut's dynamite 2016 class

East Lincoln’s Chazz Surratt named NCHSAA male athlete of the year
(http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article20467407.html)

In football, Surratt was MVP of the state championship game and finished the season with 51 passing touchdowns and 22 rushing touchdowns. He threw for 4,338 yards and had 5,621 yards of total offense. He was the Southern District 7 player of the year.

In basketball, he averaged 20 points per game, 6.7 rebounds, eight assists and three steals. He was also SD7 player of the year in basketball and MVP of the N.C. 2A Western regional. He did all of this while playing with a torn meniscus in his knee, suffered early in the football season, and had surgery after basketball ended.

duke blue brewcrew
05-08-2015, 08:56 AM
OT recruit for 2016. Parker has a Who's Who offer sheet a mile long and is pretty highly ranked on all of the recruiting websites. 247 has him as a Duke lean. I haven't seen much discussion on him until now. He seems like a phenom answer on the OL, especially if we miss on Yarbrough and Menet. Does anyone have any insight on this situation?

OldPhiKap
05-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Great video up now on GoDuke app of Archie Manning and Cut, with videos of Peyton and Eli working out at Duke. Wonderful recruiting material!

roywhite
05-12-2015, 02:46 PM
Read today (on devilsden) that 2016 verbal commit Liam Smith, a big lineman from NJ, may figure into plans for the Defensive Line instead of OL.

Presuming that the coaching staff knows what they are doing, and everybody is onboard with this (pretty safe assumptions with the way Cut works), this seems like a good development. A bigger and better Defensive Line could be real progress.

airowe
05-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Read today (on devilsden) that 2016 verbal commit Liam Smith, a big lineman from NJ, may figure into plans for the Defensive Line instead of OL.

Presuming that the coaching staff knows what they are doing, and everybody is onboard with this (pretty safe assumptions with the way Cut works), this seems like a good development. A bigger and better Defensive Line could be real progress.

Don't believe everything you read. :)

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-12-2015, 03:00 PM

From time to time Coach Cutcliffe has talked about how the staff recruits a player with plans in mind (long range or short range) to transition the player to another position. (One example is Kyler Brown who was recruited as a linebacker, played that position for a while and then moved to defensive end. This was the plan for him, not a response to injuries or other losses of depth in a position.) This way of operating certainly reflects the focus on potential.

Bob Green
05-12-2015, 03:22 PM

Don't tease us, enlighten us...what are you hearing, reading or writing? :)

OldPhiKap
05-12-2015, 04:52 PM

"Don't trust anyone over thirty"

-jk
05-12-2015, 06:22 PM

"Read today (on devilsden)..." Says it all. :D

-jk

mbird30
05-12-2015, 09:53 PM
Everything happening in and around this program is amazing! I'm pretty sure everything Cut touches turns to gold (especially recruits! Our awesome group of starting DB's has four 2 stars and one 3 star recruit with 2 all-american's):cool:

duke blue brewcrew
05-18-2015, 12:20 AM
I believe Duke fans are due for a little recruiting news this week, yes? Here's hoping it's some good news that leads to a snowball of committs headed to Durham.

Bob Green
05-18-2015, 05:22 AM
I believe Duke fans are due for a little recruiting news this week, yes?

If you're referring to OT Clark Yarbrough, who was scheduled to announce on May 21, he has delayed his decision.

duke blue brewcrew
05-18-2015, 09:47 AM
If you're referring to OT Clark Yarbrough, who was scheduled to announce on May 21, he has delayed his decision.

I've been traveling for over a week for work and lost touch a little bit. I was thinking Chidi Okonya was announcing this week also, but it appears he's already committed to the Vols. I was hopeful on him, that's a bummer. It would appear that Parker Braun is high on Duke these days. Does anyone know his time frame for a decision?

duke blue brewcrew
05-20-2015, 08:03 AM

It sounds as if Menet could be deciding soon as well. Does Duke have room for 1 or 2 more OL committs? I'm intrigued by Parker Braun. His offer list speaks for itself and he seems very high on the Blue Devils. My assumption/speculation is, Braun may be waiting for those two guys to make their move?

budwom
05-20-2015, 08:13 AM
Yarbrough chose Stanford. Menet and Braun still in play. Either would be fabulous.

duke blue brewcrew
05-20-2015, 08:21 AM
Yarbrough chose Stanford. Menet and Braun still in play. Either would be fabulous.

Braun is an OG, Menet is OT - there's no conflict there, so hopefully Duke lands them both if they have room.

mbird30
05-20-2015, 09:31 AM
Braun is an OG, Menet is OT - there's no conflict there, so hopefully Duke lands them both if they have room.
I'm pretty sure Duke has made it clear that we will only accept one more commitment from the OL for 2016, but I may be wrong.

jimsumner
05-20-2015, 11:23 AM
I'm pretty sure Duke has made it clear that we will only accept one more commitment from the OL for 2016, but I may be wrong.

I'm pretty sure Duke would take both, should the opportunity present itself.

Bob Green
05-20-2015, 03:05 PM
I'm pretty sure Duke would take both, should the opportunity present itself.

Jim, or anyone else in the know, how many recruits will Duke look to bring in in the 2016 class? The number is dependent upon how many redshirt juniors move on, so it is a moving target with 20 - 22 being my ballpark guess.