PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Football Recruiting

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

nmduke2001
12-18-2015, 11:56 AM
This has been an issue for some time with Stanford. I'm sure Stanford recruiters make an educated guess about whether a particular recruit will get admitted or not, but there have been quite a few cases
in recent years in which the admissions office turns down a committed recruit. I'm sure the football staff doesn't love this.
To their credit, Stanford's admission criteria are very high.
p.s. my guess would be he'd be VERY likely to get into Duke...if he visits, I'd pretty much take that as a given.

My coworker's son is a current Stanford commit. I just asked her about the process. She said that admissions review their Junior year records and test scores. They then ask them to retake certain tests if they don't have high enough scores. This kid has to retake the ACT. It's been forever since I took the ACT but apparently now there are individual scores for each section. Stanford wants him to have a 25 on each section. They also told him that he needs to keep his grades at A and B level throughout this year. So as of right now, he is committed and they have a spot for him, but he is not admitted.

btw, several months ago I sent the Duke offensive line coach an email with info on this kid because his mother told me that they had not received a single phone call or letter from Duke. I did not get a response from the O line coach. The kid committed to Stanford a few days after his official visit.

budwom
12-18-2015, 12:09 PM
My coworker's son is a current Stanford commit. I just asked her about the process. She said that admissions review their Junior year records and test scores. They then ask them to retake certain tests if they don't have high enough scores. This kid has to retake the ACT. It's been forever since I took the ACT but apparently now there are individual scores for each section. Stanford wants him to have a 25 on each section. They also told him that he needs to keep his grades at A and B level throughout this year. So as of right now, he is committed and they have a spot for him, but he is not admitted.

btw, several months ago I sent the Duke offensive line coach an email with info on this kid because his mother told me that they had not received a single phone call or letter from Duke. I did not get a response from the O line coach. The kid committed to Stanford a few days after his official visit.

Good info. I know Duke recruited several guys very heavily on the OL that committed to Stanford: one is a center from Charlotte, the other is OT Yarbrough...though I have no
specific info on either, should either be denied admissions (I think that's unlikely) Duke could well swoop in.

devildeac
12-18-2015, 12:55 PM
To your point, how likely would he be to qualify for Duke if he can't get into Stanford? He looks like a quality player for the program if you look at his offer list, but the mystery behind his admission status to Stanford makes me wonder.

Duke=safety school

;)

BD80
12-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Duke=safety school

;)

If you can't go to Harvard, go to Duke.

sagegrouse
12-18-2015, 02:24 PM
This has been an issue for some time with Stanford. I'm sure Stanford recruiters make an educated guess about whether a particular recruit will get admitted or not, but there have been quite a few cases
in recent years in which the admissions office turns down a committed recruit. I'm sure the football staff doesn't love this.
To their credit, Stanford's admission criteria are very high.
p.s. my guess would be he'd be VERY likely to get into Duke...if he visits, I'd pretty much take that as a given.

Wow I had no idea about this. Huge credit to Stanford, being able to be nationally elite in football (most BCS games and Rose Bowls in last 8 yrs or something) and maintain high admission standards. Definitely the goal for Duke football to aim at.

Perhaps there is an ACT/SAT threshold value, which the football staff believed the recruit could achieve. Then he didn't (despite more than one try).

Olympic Fan
12-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Perhaps there is an ACT/SAT threshold value, which the football staff believed the recruit could achieve. Then he didn't (despite more than one try).

I know that Duke has recruited several basketball players with conditional scholarship offers -- even after they signed, they had academic performances they had to meet. Don't know about raising test scores, but Will Avery was accepted and signed long before he was admitted. At the time K offered a scholarship, he laid out a very specific set of academic hurdles that Avery had to clear in the summer before his senior year in his final year at Oak Hill. Those hurdles included classes he had to pass and grades he had to achieve.

Pretty sure Sean Dockery also had some academic requirements he had to meet (belong the NCAA minimum). I know there have been others ... don't know if there are a lot or a few.

I do know that in the past, Stanford has had some pretty ridiculous academic requirements for athletes. I BELIEVE that those standards were loosened for the football program a few years ago -- again, no specific knowledge of how much they were loosened. I would assume that basketball got the same breaks.

But I do know it's not uncommon for a prospect to be offered and to accept with certain academic requirements still pending./ For obvious reasons, these are never talked about unless the athlete falls short.

PS Avery was a very odd case. He was a good student who achieved an acceptable test score at the end of his sophomore season in Augusta. Then he took his junior season off -- literally ... he stopped going to class and doing the work. He basically had to do two years work at Oak Hill in a year and a summer. At Duke, he was a smart guy who did as little work as he could get by with ... until the very end, when he stopped doing any work at all.

johnb
01-04-2016, 03:55 PM
The Bo Peek discussion got into a tangent about whether he'd academically qualify at Stanford, but let's refocus on whether we can recruit Peek, who's a very talented D lineman out of Tampa. From reading an article from 247 (it's on their paid site, so I'll just paraphrase briefly):

Peek was contacted by the Stanford D line coach as recently as the morning of their Rose Bowl win--even if his official acceptance is being evaluated, it's not like they're backing off their recruitment.

Regardless, he seems to be planning to set up an official Duke visit soon. He also plans to visit Southern Cal this month. I wouldn't frame this guy as someone who is academically marginal or fully committed to Stanford--he'd certainly be a great get for us (or SC or Stanford).

budwom
01-04-2016, 04:39 PM
The Bo Peek discussion got into a tangent about whether he'd academically qualify at Stanford, but let's refocus on whether we can recruit Peek, who's a very talented D lineman out of Tampa. From reading an article from 247 (it's on their paid site, so I'll just paraphrase briefly):

Peek was contacted by the Stanford D line coach as recently as the morning of their Rose Bowl win--even if his official acceptance is being evaluated, it's not like they're backing off their recruitment.

Regardless, he seems to be planning to set up an official Duke visit soon. He also plans to visit Southern Cal this month. I wouldn't frame this guy as someone who is academically marginal or fully committed to Stanford--he'd certainly be a great get for us (or SC or Stanford).

We'd clearly love to have him, and we have no idea what Stanford admissions is going to do. Not sure why you're asking "whether we can recruit Peek." Of course we can.
I DO think that if admitted he'll go to Stanford, because he says he's 100% committed to them. The outstanding question is, will they admit him?

BD80
01-04-2016, 05:06 PM
The Bo Peek discussion got into a tangent about whether he'd academically qualify at Stanford, but let's refocus on whether we can recruit Peek, who's a very talented D lineman out of Tampa. ... seems to be planning to set up an official Duke visit soon. ...

Bo Peek?

Can we (ironically) call him "little"

-jk
01-04-2016, 06:23 PM

Weird aside - how far from the Cackalakies do you have to go for SC to not be the red Carolina?

-jk

devildeac
01-04-2016, 08:38 PM
Bo Peek?

Can we (ironically) call him "little"

Posted somewhat sheepishly...

Jim3k
01-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Weird aside - how far from the Cackalakies do you have to go for SC to not be the red Carolina?

-jk

The Georgia and North Carolina lines. :p

johnb
01-05-2016, 12:23 AM
We'd clearly love to have him, and we have no idea what Stanford admissions is going to do. Not sure why you're asking "whether we can recruit Peek." Of course we can.

oh, I meant successfully recruit him.

budwom
01-05-2016, 08:41 AM
oh, I meant successfully recruit him.

I guess we have to rely on Stanford admissions to turn him down. Otherwise he goes West for sure.

duke blue brewcrew
01-05-2016, 09:24 AM
The Georgia and North Carolina lines. :p

Exactly. The only people who call SC - Carolina, live in SC. You hear Carolina anywhere else in the US, it's a reference to that ugly lite shade of blue.

duke blue brewcrew
01-05-2016, 09:25 AM
I guess we have to rely on Stanford admissions to turn him down. Otherwise he goes West for sure.

I believe I saw this morning that he's scheduling officials with Duke and USC. So, is this a back-up plan, or are things more official with Stanford at this point?

Merlindevildog91
01-05-2016, 09:28 AM
Posted somewhat sheepishly...

Ewe stop it....

sagegrouse
01-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Exactly. The only people who call SC - Carolina, live in SC. You hear Carolina anywhere else in the US, it's a reference to that ugly lite shade of blue.

Yeah, but... Referring to the Gamecocks as "Carolina" is pretty nigh universal in the Palmetto State. In my experience -- heck, only several decades old -- "the University of North Carolina" is either "UNC" or "North Carolina." Now, in the southern suburbs of Charlotte, which are in the state of South Carolina, I suspect things may be a bit more confused.

Of course, the Gamecocks national identity isn't so great. Didn't Dabo Swinney refer to them as being the "other Carolina" and the "other USC?" to which Spurrier replied that Clemson plays in "the other Death Valley."

bluedev_92
01-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Roof has a great DL recruiting class in 2005 -- not just Oghobaase (who was, I think, the only 5-star Duke has landed at any position in this century), but also Okpokowuruk (a four-star DE), Respress and one or two others. They did form the basis of Cut's first two DLs (well, Respress never redshirted and was only there one year for Cut).

I think Cut has recently been bringing in some three-star DL talent -- Boyce and Cerenord for sure. Humphries was a four-star LB.

I just checked ESPN's recruiting coverage (sorry, no link, it's insiders) and they now have Duke with four top 300 prospects (Okoyna, Singleton, Kraeling and Birmingham) and seven four-star recruits. I'm a little disappointed the Bracey dropped out of the top 300 -- he was in the top 100 last summer (I guess playing QB this season hurt his ranking).

Still, on paper this is the best class of the Cut era ... if we can hold it. Sammons would be a fifth top 300 guy and an eighth four-star.

Amazing how much things have changed. I remember when Shawn Johnson (All ACC First Team Defensive Lineman) transferred from Duke to Delaware. It was a while ago, but part of the story line was that some of the players were just tired of losing after a 2000 record of 0-10, 2001 record of 0-11 & 2002 record of 2-10. (or close to that). Whether that was true or not, there's no arguing the record. Having attended both Delaware & Duke, I was happy to see him land there & Delaware was an excellent team at that point. Very happy that the Duke program has done a 180. So much fun watching them win the Pinstripe Bowl. Let's keep it going!

BD80
01-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Ewe stop it...

Ewe herd it here

budwom
01-05-2016, 10:32 AM
I believe I saw this morning that he's scheduling officials with Duke and USC. So, is this a back-up plan, or are things more official with Stanford at this point?

He was interviewed this past weekend at an all star game at which time he reiterated his desire to go to Stanford, though he did discuss the possibility of other visits, leaving
one with the conclusion that he has yet to be officially admitted (or rejected).