PDA

View Full Version : Question for FDA

OZZIE4DUKE
09-11-2007, 04:06 PM
I was responding to the poll thread that was removed but still want to ask FDA this about Zack Asack: Is the rust still covering his abilities or is it the play calling?

Some off the cuff suggestions to getting better, improving chances of beating one or more:

- run more reps with Asack and our first team 0-line with plays tailored to Asack. Where he runs out of the pocket and the o-line moves with him. Alternatively, have the quicker o-lineman work on these with Asack and put them into the game when we put Asack in there.

I agree with most of the points in your post, but have to question your love affair with Zack Asack, which has been expressed in several posts and threads. Please explain. I have seen him play in the controlled scrimmage and in the home game vs. UConn, and quite honestly, I expected more out of him than I have seen this year. When he came into to the UCon game, I and everyone on UCon's defense knew he was going to carry the ball, and he did 4 out of the 6 or 7 plays he was in. That probably isn't a fair test of his QB'ing ability since 10 guys on defense are keying on him, but his throws have been pretty weak when he has thrown. Perhaps throwing quick hitters to the tight ends or quick slants to the wideouts would help him (and Lewis) take some of the rush pressure off him. I know the quick out to the wide receivers has been a favorite play of ours for years, and yes it has worked fairly well most years when we had a stud wide-out catching the ball, even for Ronnie Drummer before it became his "play dejour", along with the reverse (so again, it is the first thing the DB's look for and reduces the success ratio) but I think we need to modify the playbook a lot.

I'm for anything that will help us move the ball consistently, score touchdowns and win a game. You gotta win one before you can win again.

formerdukeathlete
09-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Zach is a faster runner, as we know. And his arm, particularly on short route passes is comparable to Lewis.

More reps with Zach equal a higher prob. of winning provided we work on the playcalling when he is in there.

Thad is getting sacked and or intercepted? Then put Zach in there, or put him in there some of the time anyway to try to throw off the opposing defense. Rather than run plays, have Zach move out of the pocket, with quick o-linemen pulling with him = less chance of being sacked. Throw short routes to the tight ends = less chance of interceptions.