PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Scott's ESPYs Speech

blazindw
07-17-2014, 12:13 PM
If you haven't had the chance to hear Stuart Scott's speech last night from the ESPYs, where he accepted the Jimmy V Award, you need to stop what you're doing and watch it. It's easily one of the most incredible speeches that we've heard since Jimmy V's speech 21 years ago. It's emotional, it's heartbreaking at times, but it's extremely powerful. Stuart Scott is one Tar Heel that should have all Blue Devils on his team.

Don't forget a box of tissues...you will experience an overload of allergies and dust during this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y6hOb0c1yc

tbyers11
07-17-2014, 12:56 PM
If you haven't had the chance to hear Stuart Scott's speech last night from the ESPYs, where he accepted the Jimmy V Award, you need to stop what you're doing and watch it. It's easily one of the most incredible speeches that we've heard since Jimmy V's speech 21 years ago. It's emotional, it's heartbreaking at times, but it's extremely powerful. Stuart Scott is one Tar Heel that should have all Blue Devils on his team.

Don't forget a box of tissues...you will experience an overload of allergies and dust during this one.

Yeah, this is a powerful, emotional, well-spoken speech. I was never a big fan of Stuart Scott, the announcer, because of his blatant Tar Heel homerism, but that was always on the basic, shallow level of sports fandom. After following his long battle with cancer over the last few years, I have become a huge fan of Stuart Scott the individual. He is truly FIGHTING a courageous battle for himself, his family, and, especially, his daughters. I second blazindw's recommendation. If you have had a personal experience with cancer, if you have kids, or, heck, if you are a living, breathing human being take 15 minutes to watch this with a few tissues handy.

Tripping William
07-17-2014, 03:28 PM
A Carolina guy gets an award named after a State guy, and this Duke guy is simultaneously bawling & applauding.

Ima Facultiwyfe
07-17-2014, 03:40 PM
Don't know about you but, this guy I have found so hard to like or even forgive has just made me a little bit better person.
Love, Ima

jv001
07-17-2014, 04:48 PM
My prayers for Stuart and his wonderful family. Yes, God does answer prayers. Just ask my son, Jeff who just last week was pronounced "cancer free". Thanks to all of you who prayed for Jeff. GoDuke!

MarkD83
07-17-2014, 05:04 PM
Wow! Stuart, if you read this board that was a very powerful and touching speech. Your love for your friends and family and your zest for life are very clear. Keep fighting. Our prayers will be with you.

Bluegrassdevil1
07-17-2014, 05:19 PM
The sections where Scott speaks about his children, and where they speak about him, really makes you wonder how so much pollen and dust got into your house.

Tar Heel apologist or not, catchphrase obsessive or not, battling cancer for seven years is a profound task, and I suspect that every Duke fan, ESPN detractor, would gladly sit through Scott's spill seven years hence.

-bdbd
07-19-2014, 03:20 AM
You can't see it anymore on that link, so maybe I didn't get the same emotional jolt that most of you guys got on here, but how could ANYONE wish ill on a guy who is so obviously a loving father and who has fought against this horrible disease for so long. So I certainly will wish him 'Godspeed' and will remember him and his family in my prayers. But as a grad of Duke, a institution/place that I love so much, I will also have a hard time ever totally forgetting his fairly clear and persistent hatred of all things Duke. During the lax scandal he was one of the very worst and repeated instigators of yellow "beat them, hang them, then try them!" journalism. During that time he frequently portrayed Duke on-air as a school for almost exclusively rich, privileged kids - as evidenced by the high tuition they paid (really that was his only such evidence) as contrasted by the "poor, threadbare and racially diverse" people of Durham. He also was a long and loud proponent of the "Duke gets all of the calls" lynch-mob -- airing a rather infamous "Does Duke get all the calls?" lengthy feature on Sports Center, that was aired immediately after FSU hosted and beat Duke by a couple points - a game in which EVERY Duke starter fouled out and we received about 35 fouls to FSU's 14 or so (but Scott focused largely on a single call that he repeatedly implied Sheldon Williams "may have gotten away with a (borderline) non-call on a possible goal-tending play."

As I said, I will pray for him and his family. Clearly, NOBODY deserves that sort of illness. It is just really, really horrible. But at the same time I will never respect that brand of "agenda journalism" either. But I don't have a problem separating the two issues. Hopefully I can watch the video at some point. And I certainly hope that he will persevere.

blazindw
07-19-2014, 11:04 AM
Hopefully I can watch the video at some point. And I certainly hope that he will persevere.

The link still works. The actual speech starts at around the 7:20 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y6hOb0c1yc

tbyers11
01-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Was watching SportsCenter and Hannah Storm just announced that Stuart Scott passed away this morning after his long battle with cancer. She could barely get through the announcement and a short comment without breaking into tears.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12118296/stuart-scott-espn-anchor-dies-age-49

The link earlier in the thread to the video of his speech last summer is broken. I'd bet ESPN has it back up on its site shortly.

gotoguy
01-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Was watching SportsCenter and Hannah Storm just announced that Stuart Scott passed away this morning after his long battle with cancer. She could barely get through the announcement and a short comment without breaking into tears.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12118296/stuart-scott-espn-anchor-dies-age-49

The link earlier in the thread to the video of his speech last summer is broken. I'd bet ESPN has it back up on its site shortly.

"Cool as the other side of the pillow..." RIP Mr. Scott

moonpie23
01-04-2015, 10:09 AM
hate to see that guy go...... :( sail on, my man.....sail on....

tbyers11
01-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Working link to Stuart's speech at the ESPYs

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11224748