PDA

View Full Version : Plumlee and the military?

johnb
07-16-2014, 11:09 AM
An article from today's GoDuke mentions that Marshall has been in ROTC in preparation for a career in the military. Given the bizarre amount of time I spend following the team, how did I miss this?

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209573082&DB_OEM_ID=4200

rocketeli
07-16-2014, 11:23 AM
He would be way over the maximum allowed height so he would have to get a waiver. I did not get my commission through ROTC so I don’t know whether he would do that before starting or after completing the program and hopefully getting a commission. As he is not on a ROTC scholarship he would not be required to serve on active duty after graduation. (If you have a scholarship you usually have to go active, but if not, you may have the option, or may serve in the reserves, or maybe you just took the classes for “fun”.) He better be careful, though, all it takes is one Duke hater in the wrong place and he could get deployment orders to active duty. Military don’t care how inconvenient you might find that!

dairedevil
07-16-2014, 12:33 PM
With all the news about unc and academic fraud in the athletic department, I loved what Capel had to say about Marshall's academic choices:

“It’s something that requires incredible discipline and structure, it provides toughness, and most importantly it’s something he wants to do,” associate coach
Jeff Capel said of Plumlee’s ROTC track. “When these kids get to college they should have input and choose what they want to study. That’s the freedom we give our guys, and it can be very positive. It’s something Marshall is very interested in and has a passion for, and I find nothing but positives in that.”

I don't doubt that there is lots of tutoring and guidance into majors that are doable for athletes with all the practice, game, travel requirements that they have. Hopefully, when Duke athletes graduate they have a degree that they have earned.

Jarhead
07-16-2014, 01:36 PM
I pulled most of this info from a few websites buried in several pages of material. Basically, it applies to all of the Armed Forces ROTC Programs. As far as I can tell there is no situation in which the program can be completed without some obligation for at least three years of active duty, maybe two in some situations.

For most students, it is the start of the junior year of college. This is when you decide whether or not one wants to pursue a commission in the Army. At this time you would sign a contract with the U.S. Army. This applies to two-year scholarship students and all non-scholarship students in the program. A Three-Year or Four-Year scholarship winner becomes obligated at the start of their ROTC scholarship.

Here are service obligations on completion the program: Eight years, but let's break it down a little further. These eight years can be fulfilled in a number of ways, depending on scholarship status, 3 or 4 years on active duty and then the remainder in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR). Essentially, the IRR is a non-active status with no drill requirements. The other option is 6 years in a drilling unit of the Reserves or National Guard meeting one weekend a month and two weeks each summer followed by 2 years in the IRR. This obligation is federally mandated and is the same across all services.

Hey, Marshall, Ooooorah, Marine Corps. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/flags/usa.gif

DukieInKansas
07-16-2014, 02:32 PM
He would be way over the maximum allowed height so he would have to get a waiver. I did not get my commission through ROTC so I don’t know whether he would do that before starting or after completing the program and hopefully getting a commission. As he is not on a ROTC scholarship he would not be required to serve on active duty after graduation. (If you have a scholarship you usually have to go active, but if not, you may have the option, or may serve in the reserves, or maybe you just took the classes for “fun”.) He better be careful, though, all it takes is one Duke hater in the wrong place and he could get deployment orders to active duty. Military don’t care how inconvenient you might find that!

What is the maximum height for the military? The first officer I met at the DMZ in Korea was so tall that it seemed like he barely cleared the ceiling in The Monastery (Officer's club). Of course, that was many years ago and I was a teenager (but well on my way to 5'10"). The Army required that all those stationed in the JSA be well over 6' at the time.

Dukehky
07-16-2014, 07:24 PM
What is the maximum height for the military? The first officer I met at the DMZ in Korea was so tall that it seemed like he barely cleared the ceiling in The Monastery (Officer's club). Of course, that was many years ago and I was a teenager (but well on my way to 5'10"). The Army required that all those stationed in the JSA be well over 6' at the time.

Wasn't David Robinson in the Navy?

fuse
07-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Wasn't David Robinson in the Navy?

It's on the web somewhere. The Admiral was accepted at the maximum allowed height for USNA, and grew while in college. He was granted a release instead of active service upon graduation, which enabled him to participate in the NBA draft.

Jarhead
07-16-2014, 09:14 PM
It's on the web somewhere. The Admiral was accepted at the maximum allowed height for USNA, and grew while in college. He was granted a release instead of active service upon graduation, which enabled him to participate in the NBA draft.David Robinson served the minimum 2 years on active duty in the Navy. I believe he was drafted just after Naval Academy graduation, and had an illustrious career in the NBA as a seven foot center.

gocanes0506
07-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Well good for marshall if that he what he decides to do. I was a ROTC grad.

ROTC is reserve officer training corps. The only commissioning form that guarantees active is USMA. Those of us ROTC grads (to include VMI, Citdel, etc) have to be accepted into active duty. Most of us are though. Everything else the Jarhead copied is true though.

Max height can be waived. Heck Marshall could get it waived and play for the all Army basketball team.

FerryFor50
07-16-2014, 10:58 PM
“It’s something that requires incredible discipline and structure, it provides toughness, and most importantly it’s something he wants to do,” associate coach
Jeff Capel said of Plumlee’s ROTC track. “When these kids get to college they should have input and choose what they want to study. That’s the freedom we give our guys, and it can be very positive. It’s something Marshall is very interested in and has a passion for, and I find nothing but positives in that.”

Weird. I thought athletes just got steered into sham classes and majors.