PDA

View Full Version : The downside of women's athletics

tecumseh
09-11-2007, 02:45 PM
or that's pretty good for a girl.

JK Rowling, Sarah Chang, Sandra Day O'Connor, Linda B. Buck,....music, arts, science, law, medicine these are all fields where the top women are the top people in the field. Sarah Chang is a brilliant musician not a great female musician. In fact in the whole field of human endeavor it would be hard to find anything men do consistently better than women except things like lift a refrigerator and rebound a basketball. When I saw the WNBA this weekend I was struck by how lousy these gals are at rebounding, when I saw the US Open I was pretty unimpressed by all the women save Justine Henin. I am skeptical about how much women's athletics advances the woman's movement, I think a lot of men are comfortable driving their daughter to softball practice but vehemently opposed to having a woman president of the United States. These men flip on ESPN and see the WNBA and say well they are playing pretty good for girls..obvious to them these athletes are not NBA ready and somehow that is reassuring to them.

mapei
09-11-2007, 03:28 PM
I am SO not going to touch this thread. ;)

hc5duke
09-11-2007, 03:55 PM
I am SO not going to touch this thread. ;)

<side 1>response
<side 2>response with carefully worded strawman
<side 1>response with irrelevant analogy and condescending remark
<side 2>irrelevant analogy refuted with faulty logic, ad-hominem attack
<side 3>hijacks thread, 25&#37; of the posts in the thread will consist of this topic now
<me>picture that is related to side 3 but completely pointless in the thread
<side 2>demanding response from side 1 with more ad-hominem attack
<side 4>Simpsons/South Park reference
<side 1>"this thread is going nowhere" remark
<side 2>"i can understand where you're coming from but..." with semi-related stats with no source given
<side 1>response to stat with more stat
(2 months go by without response)
<side 2>response with something recent that happens to be vaguely related to the original topic
(repeat as necessary)

There, now we are done with this thread :rolleyes:

cato
09-11-2007, 04:01 PM
or that's pretty good for a girl.

JK Rowling, Sarah Chang, Sandra Day O'Connor, Linda B. Buck,....music, arts, science, law, medicine these are all fields where the top women are the top people in the field. Sarah Chang is a brilliant musician not a great female musician. In fact in the whole field of human endeavor it would be hard to find anything men do consistently better than women except things like lift a refrigerator and rebound a basketball. When I saw the WNBA this weekend I was struck by how lousy these gals are at rebounding, when I saw the US Open I was pretty unimpressed by all the women save Justine Henin. I am skeptical about how much women's athletics advances the woman's movement, I think a lot of men are comfortable driving their daughter to softball practice but vehemently opposed to having a woman president of the United States. These men flip on ESPN and see the WNBA and say well they are playing pretty good for girls..obvious to them these athletes are not NBA ready and somehow that is reassuring to them.

The downside of posting in a forum . . .

snowdenscold
09-11-2007, 04:59 PM
JK Rowling, Sarah Chang, Sandra Day O'Connor, Linda B. Buck,....music, arts, science, law, medicine these are all fields where the top women are the top people in the field.

I lost you about here.