PDA

View Full Version : the new guys

Olympic Fan
06-11-2014, 01:38 PM
A couple of comments about the front page article about the new guys coming into the ACC.

In the discussion about Virginia Tech, they talk about Trevor Thompson and Marques Rankin leaving, but in summing up the talents that remain, they include Marshall Wood.

Wood won't be back. He told the Roanoke paper early in May that he was quitting basketball to concentrate on his studies. Three weeks later, he asked for and obtained his release and will transfer:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/22/marshall-wood-to-transfer-from-virginia-tech/

VPI also lost Maurice Kirby, a 6-9 kid who didn't play for the Hokies last season (don't know if that's due to injuries or redshirt), plus Tony Lang's son, who was James Johnson's best recruit.

Of course, Buzz Williams did land Maryland transfer Seth Allen, a big-time ACC player, but he won't be eligible until 2015-16.

There were a couple of other questions I had. On the list of new players, DBR lists Sheldon Jeter at Pitt ... Jeter, a 6-8 forward who played at Vanderbilt in 2012-13, will indeed be eligible at Pitt this season after sitting out last year.

But if you include Jeter, why not Trevor Lacy, a wing guard who was a double figure scorer at Alabama in 2012-13? He sat out last season and is eligible at NC State.

And also Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan at Miami -- both sat out last year and will be the 'Canes starting backcourt this season. Rodriguez was a second-team All-Big 12 point guard at Kansas State in 2012-13. That same season, McClellan averaged double figures at Texas.

I would also include the three "graduate student" transfers who will play immediately next season:

Dimitri Batton, a 6-3 guard from ODU to Boston College (one season left); Demarco Cox, a 6-8 forward from Ole Miss to Georgia Tech (one season left)'; and Darius Leonard, a 6-9 center from Campbell to Wake Forest (one season left).

None are great players, but they'll all be seniors who will add a little experience.

And one other potential newcomer to note: Josh Heath, a 6-2 point guard who started at point guard as a freshman at South Florida has transferred to Georgia Tech (three seasons left). He's applied for a transfer waiver on the grounds that his father (Stan Heath) was fired as head coach at USF. That worked for Trey Ziegler, so I expect him to win his appeal and play for the Jackets next year (where he probably starts).

FerryFor50
06-11-2014, 02:44 PM
I think Miami's backcourt will be a pain in the rear.

Both new guys are fantastic scorers.