PDA

View Full Version : Calipari gets 7 years

FerryFor50
06-05-2014, 08:25 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/sec/2014/06/05/univeristy-of-kentucky-john-calipari-contract-extension-seven-years-52-million/10038673/

Seems like Kentucky is trying to keep Cal away from the pros.

But we all know how binding contract extensions are (http://www.santafenewmexican.com/sports/lobos/article_fb9a0329-6d00-57b9-b3fe-e5772de35ee0.html)...

SupaDave
06-05-2014, 08:30 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/sec/2014/06/05/univeristy-of-kentucky-john-calipari-contract-extension-seven-years-52-million/10038673/

Seems like Kentucky is trying to keep Cal away from the pros.

But we all know how binding contract extensions are (http://www.santafenewmexican.com/sports/lobos/article_fb9a0329-6d00-57b9-b3fe-e5772de35ee0.html)...

Interesting that Alford was able to bail before the contract extension went into effect. That's a little serendipity there for UCLA...

Duvall
06-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Interesting that Alford was able to bail before the contract extension went into effect. That's a little serendipity there for UCLA...

Was it, though?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-05-2014, 11:53 PM
If the contract is for 7 years, $52m but they end up vacating 3 of those years, what does he walk with?

/was hoping he would go to the NBA
//until this year I would have argued he was an excellent (dirty?) recruiter and terrible coach, but he did a nice job getting those guya to play in March
///really happy he didn't win

burnspbesq
06-06-2014, 12:50 AM
I saw the headline and the first thing that went through my mind was "Really? What did he plead guilty to?"

Admit it, you thought the smae thing.

brevity
06-06-2014, 07:43 AM
I saw the headline and the first thing that went through my mind was "Really? What did he plead guilty to?"

Admit it, you thought the smae thing.

"With good behavior he'll be out of Kentucky in 2 years," said his parole officer, William Wesley.

CameronBornAndBred
06-06-2014, 08:04 AM
I think Cal might actually be at Kentucky for the long haul. I read these comments on a recent article about him and Bill Self.

"I believe that I have the best job in the country. I'm not out there looking for another job. It's not what I want. Do I talk to NBA teams? I always do. I will talk to NBA teams based on the fact my players are trying to be drafted. But I'm not out looking for a job. I'm not encouraging anybody to call me. I don't need it to get a pay raise or any of that stuff. I'm good where I am."
Calipari said he had a different attitude when he was at Memphis and UMass.
"It took me 20 years to get this job,'' Calipari said. "I'm in no hurry.''
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11022160/college-coaches-bill-self-john-calipari-contacted-nba-jobs

MCFinARL
06-06-2014, 09:26 AM
I think Cal might actually be at Kentucky for the long haul. I read these comments on a recent article about him and Bill Self.

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11022160/college-coaches-bill-self-john-calipari-contacted-nba-jobs[/FONT][/COLOR]

Well, he would be a fool to leave Kentucky, unless he needed to escape just before the outbreak of a big, sanctions-provoking scandal. He's very well compensated, has a lot of job security, and is unquestionably the boss off his program and a hig-profile figure in the university community. NBA coaches are sometimes well compensated, but they have relatively little job security and aren't really the boss of anyone except their assistants. NBA coaching may be seen as a bigger challenge, but to a great extent that is because the coaches have so little real authority over the star players on their teams, and often only lukewarm support from team owners and general managers.

Obviously, for a lot of college coaches, an NBA spot would be an attractive option. But for Calipari, who has reached the very top ranks of college coaching (like it or not) and has been there and done that in the NBA with less than fabulous results, I don't see it.

flyingdutchdevil
06-06-2014, 10:41 AM
...but he's the hottest coach in college ball right now, and it isn't even close. His insane success in the last 5 years, especially in the tournament, is a rarity in college ball these days. In the 5 years he's been coaching, he's been to 4 Elite Eights, 3 Final Fours, and 2 NC games. Crazy...

I want Calipari out. Not because he's a bad dude or because I think he's doing something "illegal", but rather because he is difficult to compete with.

The worst part of all of this is I actually believe Calipari is doing all of this within the boundaries of the NCAA rules. His model, while distasteful to college basketball purists, is set by the NCAA: get those one-and-dones. He is perceived as a "cool" coach who will teach you the skillset to get to the NBA. He teaches defense. He has faith in his young players. If he is "cheating", I think it's similar to what has gone on in UNC this last decade: no classes. But, as we've seen with the NCAA and UNC, this rarely goes punished.

No other coach has adapted to modern college basketball as well as Calipari.

I can't believe I just wrote that. My heart hurts...

Kedsy
06-06-2014, 11:33 AM
I actually believe Calipari is doing all of this within the boundaries of the NCAA rules.

Well, that's the question, isn't it? It was generally believed (by seemingly credible sources) that he often acted outside the rules when he was at UMass and Memphis. If so, would that change at Kentucky, of all places? Who knows, but it would seem unlikely.

I honestly have no idea if he's acting within the boundaries of the NCAA rules. I have no idea how much it matters if he isn't. This is like the UNC fake-classes situation. Whatever action the NCAA might eventually take against him would be largely symbolic. No penalty would both match the alleged crime and also avoid harming many innocent parties.

sagegrouse
06-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Well, he would be a fool to leave Kentucky,

In basketball and elsewhere in the labor force, there are "stickers" and "movers." He's a mover, judging by his numerous stops. Dave Odom, Eddie Sutton, and Bill Foster were as well.

Or, maybe he was just making rational career moves and wouldn't leave Kentucky unless he finds something better, which is not likely unless someone gives him a piece of an NBA franchise and complete authority over player matters. Let's be serious, K, Calapari, Pitino, and Bill Self are gods in their respective universities. Ol' Roy not as much, because he's a goober that says really dumb things.

But then I'm an economist and why can't I have two opinions on one matter?

bob blue devil
06-14-2014, 08:02 AM
front page link on Henderson-Niles allegations not working for me, but here (http://www.localmemphis.com/story/d/story/memphis-tigers/36104/gSLuxd2-cE6Y-ayRqHsKEg) is another i found...

lotusland
06-14-2014, 08:25 AM
front page link on Henderson-Niles allegations not working for me, but here (http://www.localmemphis.com/story/d/story/memphis-tigers/36104/gSLuxd2-cE6Y-ayRqHsKEg) is another i found...

Not a lot of info there. The article says a relative made the allegation but Henderson-Niles has not commented. I'm guessing that even if true it's probably not provable at this point. I'd be shocked if Cal left fingerprints and considering the NCAA is under fire for not fairly compensating players it may not be a good time to go after a school for this type of alleged arrangement. That said I hope it's true and that the player comes forward with proof. Maybe the Cavs job is starting to look better after all.

Henderson
06-14-2014, 10:15 AM
In basketball and elsewhere in the labor force, there are "stickers" and "movers." He's a mover, judging by his numerous stops. Dave Odom, Eddie Sutton, and Bill Foster were as well.

Or, maybe he was just making rational career moves and wouldn't leave Kentucky unless he finds something better, which is not likely unless someone gives him a piece of an NBA franchise and complete authority over player matters. Let's be serious, K, Calapari, Pitino, and Bill Self are gods in their respective universities. Ol' Roy not as much, because he's a goober that says really dumb things.

But then I'm an economist and why can't I have two opinions on one matter?

Cal is like an old time cattle rustler. Steal some cattle, head into town to sell some of them, charm the locals into trusting you, then when folks start asking questions about where the cattle came from, high tail it to the next county. Repeat.

He's just much better at it than most.

lotusland
06-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Recent tweet out Memphis

Retweeted by Local 24 News
Jamie Griffin @local24griffin · 14h
According to the allegation to NCAA, payments to Pierre Henderson-Niles started during his senior year of high school. @TigerBookstore
ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 6 times6 FavoriteFavorited 0 times
More

Would be poetic justice if Cal got caught doing shady business with a 3 star recruit that barely had an impact. Doesn't really make sense thought unless, of course, everyone gets paid.

Class of '94
06-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Recent tweet out Memphis

Retweeted by Local 24 News
Jamie Griffin @local24griffin · 14h
According to the allegation to NCAA, payments to Pierre Henderson-Niles started during his senior year of high school. @TigerBookstore
ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 6 times6 FavoriteFavorited 0 times
More

Would be poetic justice if Cal got caught doing shady business with a 3 star recruit that barely had an impact. Doesn't really make sense thought unless, of course, everyone gets paid.

Wasn't there allegations made by the Chicago Tribune that Anthony Davis' father was shopping him around for about 100K; and it was implied that Cal and Kentucky paid Davis's family in order to get him?

Henderson
06-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Wasn't there allegations made by the Chicago Tribune that Anthony Davis' father was shopping him around for about 100K; and it was implied that Cal and Kentucky paid Davis's family in order to get him?

Yes, but the figure was higher. The Davis family responded by threatening a defamation suit they never filed. UK denied the allegation of course. Story here (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-08-06/sports/ct-spt-0807-prep-davis-update-20100806_1_chicago-sun-times-kentucky-chris-de-luca).

The Tribune took the offending material off its website, but stood by the story. And who squealed to the press about the alleged shakedown? Speculation was that it might have been Boeheim and/or Ol' Roy, both of whom were also recruiting Davis and neither of whom is reported to be all that fond of Cal and his ways. Story here (http://orangefizz.net/2012/04/syracuse-the-controversial-anthony-davis/).

cspan37421
06-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Just a reminder to those anyone who might think under-the-table payments to players isn't that big a deal: it necessarily involves tax evasion. That means they're indirectly stealing from me and you, and everyone in this country.

mgtr
06-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Just a reminder to those anyone who might think under-the-table payments to players isn't that big a deal: it necessarily involves tax evasion. That means they're indirectly stealing from me and you, and everyone in this country.

Oh no! Don't get the IRS involved, they will probably just "lose" the emails regarding the subject.:D

lotusland
06-16-2014, 07:31 AM
I nice article on localmemphis.com which explains why Cal wanted badly to land Henderson-niles and why Pierre, for now, isn't talking.

http://www.localmemphis.com/story/d/story/pierre-henderson-niles-in-middle-of-pay-for-play-a/29375/kP58VWv2rkexWQxp2rl4Pw

"Of course Calipari may not agree with Saine’s theory. But without question anyone who has spent more than 10-minutes around Calipari knows he’s very territorial and tactical. And they certainly are aware of his personal battles with Bruce Pearl, who was the coach at Tennessee. Pearl was giving his best sell to Henderson-Niles to get him to Knoxville. Pearl was the new Calipari. Modeled after the Calipari from Umass, the brash up and comer challenging the old guard, someone who could bend but not break the rules. Perhaps it was the similarity that caused the biggest rift between the two."

"He knows the NBA is very unlikely. He works at the Varangon Academy, a behavioral modification school for children age 13-18. He has children now. And he brings them to church where Uncle Steve is the pastor. He even shows his face at Pastner's basketball camps....

Henderson-Niles doesn’t speak of the allegations his uncle has made against the UofM and Coach Calipari. Not now. Maybe in the future. He’s in a no win situation. To deny the claim would be calling Uncle Steve a liar. To second it would disgrace the University. Sometimes the truth may not set you free."

lotusland
06-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Apparently the uncle had a press conference and some national news organizations are reporting on it including NBC Sports.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/uncle-alleges-former-memphis-tiger-was-paid-play-under-john-calipari

This article from an SEC site is the most comprehensive that I found

http://mrsec.com/2014/06/new-claim-ex-memphis-player-paid-part-calipari-scheme/

Highlights:

"Before all the non-UK fans rejoice too much, file away the fact that the uncle — Stephen Saine — is a convicted drug dealer who is reportedly trying to publish a book about the big turnaround he’s made in his life. Saine is now a pastor. Also know that current Memphis coach Josh Pastner inherited Henderson-Niles for one season and he said last week that he had no knowledge of the allegations nor did he believe them. Henderson-Niles told The Memphis Commercial Appeal this weekend that he has “no involvement” in the allegations made by his uncle."

According to LocalMemphis.com, the memo sent by Saine to the NCAA says the following:

“I share this not to bring dishonor to the University of Memphis or the men’s basketball program, but to: 1) do the right thing and 2) help make sure what happened then is no longer prevalent not only at the UofM but in college athletics in general.

When Jartavious Pierre Henderson-Niles played basketball at the UofM he did so with a pay-for-play arrangement with the UofM men’s basketball coaching staff.

I received regular payments from one of John Calipari’s assistant coaches (Derek Kellogg) starting Pierre’s senior year of high school through his junior year at the University of Memphis.

This is an issue I would have addressed with the UofM and members of their former coaching staff but as you can imagine, I felt it would have falled on deaf ears.”

I don't know if Cal actually arranged payments to a convicted drug dealer known as "Pink Chevy" and I doubt we'll ever see proof but I realy hope so.