PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Football Preseason Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Bob Green
06-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Lots of Blue Devils on the list:

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2014/JUNE14/DBJune04.html

1st Team: Jamison Crowder (WR), Laken Tomlinson (OG), Kelby Brown (LB), Jeremy Cash (S)
2nd Team: Braxton Deaver (TE), David Helton (LB), Will Monday (P), DeVon Edwards (KR), Jamison Crowder (PR)
3rd Team: Anthony Boone (QB)
4th Team: Takoby Cofield (OT)

Nice balance with five offensive players, three defensive players and three special teams players selected. The team has the potential to have another solid season in 2014.

chrishoke
06-05-2014, 12:12 AM
Good point Bob, that balance bodes very well for another strong team next year.

Bob Green
06-08-2014, 03:12 PM
This SBNation preview was linked on the front page on Friday and it is a good read which I believe deserves discussing. There is no need to start a new thread so I'm going to throw this up in the Preseason All ACC thread and if the article generates some lively discussion I'll edit the title of the thread:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/6/5770400/duke-football-2014-preview-schedule-roster

The author calls out our punt coverage as needing improvement plus there is a good section on Anthony Boone. The author states Boone's decision making must improve but goes on to say we have all seen his upside.

Our offensive line experience sits at 84 career starts. That is impressive especially when one takes into account Lucas Patrick has only 1 career start and Cody Robinson has 0. Those two guys have played a lot of snaps so in my opinion 84 is artificially low in terms of describing experience. Experience is gained by playing snaps not just by starting games.

When the preview turns to the defensive line, the author says it probably will not be better than last year against the run and could be worse in terms of generating a pass rush. There is no question in my mind the defensive line is the biggest question mark headed into the season. Somebody young has got to step up and Jamal Bruce has got to stay healthy. If either of those don't happen, the DL will be an ongoing issue.

It sure would be nice to get a lively football discussion going to help pass the summer months while we wait for the season to kick off!

Bob Green
06-09-2014, 03:31 PM
There is no question in my mind the defensive line is the biggest question mark headed into the season.

It might be the biggest question in my mind, but Coach Cutcliffe sounds optimistic:

http://vimeo.com/97562654

Bob Green
06-09-2014, 07:42 PM
I'm seriously questioning whether there is any interest in discussing Duke football on this forum, but here is another attempt to generate some excitement/discussion. Three Blue Devils have been named Preseason All America...let that sink in...THREE Blue Devils have been named Preseason ALL AMERICA!

PR Jamison Crowder and OG Laken Tomlinson have been named to the 2nd Team by Athlon Sports:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209519262&DB_OEM_ID=4200

KR DeVon Edwards and OG Laken Tomlinson have been named to the 2nd Team by Phil Steele with PR Jamison Crowder named to the 4th Team:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209517851&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-09-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm seriously questioning whether there is any interest in discussing Duke football on this forum, but here is another attempt to generate some excitement/discussion. Three Blue Devils have been named Preseason All America...let that sink in...THREE Blue Devils have been named Preseason ALL AMERICA!

PR Jamison Crowder and OG Laken Tomlinson have been named to the 2nd Team by Athlon Sports:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209519262&DB_OEM_ID=4200

KR DeVon Edwards and OG Laken Tomlinson have been named to the 2nd Team by Phil Steele with PR Jamison Crowder named to the 4th Team:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209517851&DB_OEM_ID=4200
The hardcore observers are still here 24/7!

OldPhiKap
06-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Very interested, but hard for me to discuss college hoops or pigskin in June. It's way too hot here to think about fall sports.

As you well-illustrate, we have come light years from the Duke program of the last quarter century. Players and coaches with national accolades; recruits who have offers from major programs; quality depth building each year. Hard not to be happy and optimistic!

Farlan
06-09-2014, 09:08 PM
I am really looking forward to this season! I am hopeful that there are some young athletic d linemen in the program who have been developing and are ready to show their stuff. The defensive backfield and linebackers should be a strength so that the up front guys can take some risks and play aggressive.

roywhite
06-09-2014, 09:16 PM
The overall special teams/kicking game can be outstanding for this Duke team. Ross Martin and Will Monday are experienced and talented, now at a point where a little more consistency can be expected, too. Does any team have two return men like Crowder and DeVon Edwards? The coverage teams have improved as the overall team athletic ability has improved. Add in good coaching, and Duke has a really strong component in the kicking game. It's important.

devildeac
06-09-2014, 09:51 PM

Don't feel neglected or unappreciated, Bob. I believe there are a number of us here who truly appreciate your passion and updates like this and also about recruiting. Keep 'em coming!

arnie
06-09-2014, 09:53 PM
The overall special teams/kicking game can be outstanding for this Duke team. Ross Martin and Will Monday are experienced and talented, now at a point where a little more consistency can be expected, too. Does any team have two return men like Crowder and DeVon Edwards? The coverage teams have improved as the overall team athletic ability has improved. Add in good coaching, and Duke has a really strong component in the kicking game. It's important.

Absolutely - very important. Under Roof we lost numerous games due to poor special team play. If Roof had special teams anywhere close to that which Cut has developed, Roof may still be our coach.

Faison1
06-10-2014, 07:11 AM

Frankly, I'm more fired up about football than I am about basketball these days. Is that wrong to say? BUT, I think we have multiple threads going about football right now.

We all know the D-Line continues to be our Achilles heel. I think the younger Brown brother has been moved to DE from LB, and there's a young kid who's showing promise. So, hopefully we improve there. If we have even a halfway decent D-Line, I think our season goes pretty well. If it's nonexistent, we may have some problems.

I still don't completely understand why we've had such a tough time landing higher level D-Line prospects.....

Olympic Fan
06-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Frankly, I'm more fired up about football than I am about basketball these days. Is that wrong to say? BUT, I think we have multiple threads going about football right now.

We all know the D-Line continues to be our Achilles heel. I think the younger Brown brother has been moved to DE from LB, and there's a young kid who's showing promise. So, hopefully we improve there. If we have even a halfway decent D-Line, I think our season goes pretty well. If it's nonexistent, we may have some problems.

I still don't completely understand why we've had such a tough time landing higher level D-Line prospects.....

Maybe I've been burned too many times by positions that were REAL Achilles heels, but while there are some questions on the defensive line, I think is easy to overestimate the problem. We're not exactly wiped out there.

At Defensive End, we have four fifth-year seniors who all have starting experience.

-- Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo has seven career starts (32 career games) and has twice won games with fumbles caused on sacks -- against FIU in 2011 and Wake Forest in 2012. Credited with 5.5 career sacks.
-- Dez Johnson has six career starts (38 career games). He has five sacks and nine QB hurries his career.
-- Jonathan Jones (formerly Woodruff) has two career starts (37 career games) with 5.5 career sacks and five QB hurries
-- Jamal Wallace has eight career starts (several at DT) and has played in 27 games. He has 2.5 QB sacks

That's a pretty experienced quartet. DeWalt-Ondijo and Jones, especially are quality pass rushers.

Behind them, we have Kyler Brown, a junior who has seen a lot of action at LB (two starts, one career sack, three QB hurries) and Britton Grier, who played as a true freshman in 2012, but redshirted last season. Two young guys to watch are redshirts Allen Jackson (who looked like a very good pass rusher the times I saw him scrimmaging) and Michael Mann, who was a big-time recruit.

I think that is a solid group -- if that's our Achilles' heel, we ought to be pretty damn good.

We are not quite as strong at defensive tackle.

We do return Jamal Bruce, who has been plagued by injuries. He did start all 14 games last season (although losing him early in the A&M game really hurt us). Bruce has started 15 games in his career and, if healthy, is a stud.

A.J. Wolf and Carlos Wray both saw a lot of action last season as backups. Mike Ramsey is one of the most highly anticipated redshirts in this class. Keilin Rayner was a big-time recruit (although at LB). Cut has only played a handful of true freshmen on the DL, but Edgar Cerenord is a 292-poind recruit who may be the highest rated DL recruit Cut has landed.

On paper, the two tackle spots (actually Duke labels them a NG and a DT) represent the least experienced, least proven position on the team. But we're talking about a returning fifth-year senior starter, two players with a ton of backup experience, a heralded redshirt and the best recruit at the position in almost a decade (since Oghobaase). Plus, Wallace can -- and has -- helped at tackle in the past.

I realize that people have to write about something in preseason. Our DL is a tempting subject. But I keep saying, if that's our biggest problem ... wow, the program has come a long way.

Bob Green
06-10-2014, 05:07 PM
I realize that people have to write about something in preseason. Our DL is a tempting subject. But I keep saying, if that's our biggest problem ... wow, the program has come a long way.

Thanks for the informative post. Your optimism is encouraging. What position do you see as our biggest problem?

Faison1
06-11-2014, 08:36 AM
I think that is a solid group -- if that's our Achilles' heel, we ought to be pretty damn good.

I appreciate your optimism, Olympic, and I really hope to see improvement on the D-Line, but your response seems slightly snarky, therefore I feel compelled to respond.

First, if you look back at my post, I was talking about the entire D-Line, not just Defensive Ends.

Second, from just about every credible and trustworthy source I know, everyone points to our D-Line as being the last piece to put us over the top. We are very good at the skill positions, and we're especially good at O-Line and Linebacker.

Having said that, we graduated Justin Foxx, Sydney Sarmiento, and Kenny Anunike off a line that ranked dead last in the ACC for Rushing Defense, was #13 out of 14 for Passing Defense, and #14 out of 14 for Total Defense.

So, yes, I'm hopeful we will improve at D-Line. Am I overly optimistic? Probably not.....but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Olympic Fan
06-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the informative post. Your optimism is encouraging. What position do you see as our biggest problem?

Bob,

I do think that the defensive line is Duke's weakest position. My point is that we've reached the point where our biggest problem is a very solid position. That's a testament to how Cut has built this program.

I'll lay it out -- this is a deeper, more talented and more experienced team than the one that won 10 games a year ago.

That does not mean we'll necessarily win 10 (or more) in 2014. A year ago, the team chemistry was terrific and the confidence exploded after the win at Virginia Tech. Even then, Duke didn't blow a lot of people out -- except that the Devils dominated the fourth quarter time after time. But games with Miami and even weaklings such as NC State and Wake were close going into the fourth. No guarantee that Duke does that again.

Last year's team was also lucky from a physical standpoint. Yes, we lost starting QB Anthony Boone for three games (and went 1-2 in those 3 games), but for the most part our key players stayed healthy (unlike 2012 when the team won six games despite a devastating string of injuries, especially on defense). We have depth at a number of positions, but no team can survive the lost of key players -- if Crowder, Boone, Kelby Brown Cash or Laken Tomlinson were to go down for an extended period, we would be hurting.

But given reasonable health and reasonable good fortune and Duke should be in the mix for the Coastal Division title again.

And, Faison, I did not mean to be snarky towards you -- you are quoting -- as you said -- credible and trustworthy sources. Of course, most "credible and trustworthy sources" picked Duke dead last in the Coastal Division last season. I agree that's the story line going into the season, but while Duke lost three experienced players on the DL, just one was an all-star quality player (Anunike). There are five fifth-year seniors returning on the DL line (as a whole) with a combined 38 career starts and some younger players with a lot more raw talent (obviously, less experience) than Sarmiento and Foxx. The program has reached the place where it can replace experienced players with other experienced players. You have seen that happen on the O-Line over the last few years ... now you are seeing it on the D-Line.

And BTW, Duke was 11th, not last in the ACC in rushing defense last year -- ahead of Miami, NC State and last-place UNC. Duke was also 11th in total defense and --in the single most important category -- ninth in points allowed:

http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-footbl/2013-14_m-footbl_release.pdf

(that's the entire ACC release -- you have to go near the end to get the final overall team stats)

And just to be clear -- none of this is meant to be snarky towards you -- just the overblown "concerns" about our defensive line.

Faison1
06-11-2014, 04:50 PM
And, Faison, I did not mean to be snarky towards you -- you are quoting -- as you said -- credible and trustworthy sources. Of course, most "credible and trustworthy sources" picked Duke dead last in the Coastal Division last season. I agree that's the story line going into the season, but while Duke lost three experienced players on the DL, just one was an all-star quality player (Anunike). There are five fifth-year seniors returning on the DL line (as a whole) with a combined 38 career starts and some younger players with a lot more raw talent (obviously, less experience) than Sarmiento and Foxx. The program has reached the place where it can replace experienced players with other experienced players. You have seen that happen on the O-Line over the last few years ... now you are seeing it on the D-Line.

And just to be clear -- none of this is meant to be snarky towards you -- just the overblown "concerns" about our defensive line.

My apologies, Olympic. I'm sorry I misunderstood the tone of your post. Thanks for the reply and correction.

I got my stats from Sports Illustrated. I'm not sure how they calculated, but they listed Duke as allowing 188 rushing yards per game....worst in the league. Probably not accurate, but it still shows we have a lot of work to do with our D-Line. I certainly hope you're right about our younger talent.

And in regards to the "credible" sources....I definitely don't trust the guys who pick us last....but I do trust people like Jim Sumner. I think he's been pretty candid about concerns with our D.

Bob Green
06-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Bob,

I do think that the defensive line is Duke's weakest position. My point is that we've reached the point where our biggest problem is a very solid position. That's a testament to how Cut has built this program.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Seeing as it is summertime (almost) and I have to fret about something, there are a couple of other positions I am a bit concerned with. First up is wide receiver where we have a ton of talent but, outside of Jamison Crowder, the talent is either unproven or hasn't quite broken through to expectations. Sophomores Johnell Barnes and Ryan Smith plus incoming freshman Trevon Lee are examples of unproven talent, while guys like Max McCaffrey and Isaac Blakeney haven't maximized their potential. To exploit Crowder's explosive talent, we have to be able to force defenses to focus on multiple receivers lined up on both sides of the formation. Who is going to step up?

The second position is running back and my concern is 100 percent about depth. We ran out of running backs in the 2nd half of the Texas A&M game. With Thompson graduated and Duncan suspended, I am concerned because we will be dependent upon freshmen for depth. Snead and Powell are experienced, talented running backs but third and fourth on the depth chart will be redshirt freshman Joseph Ajeigbe and true freshman Shaun Wilson. Ajeigbe looked great during the Spring Game so I am optimistic he will be ready to contribute. Wilson is a complete unknown at this time. Our offensive line is extremely talented so we need to capitalize on that talent with strong, fast running backs who can punish the opposition.

Sandman
06-11-2014, 06:11 PM
I appreciate your optimism, Olympic, and I really hope to see improvement on the D-Line, but your response seems slightly snarky, therefore I feel compelled to respond.

My apologies, Olympic. I'm sorry I misunderstood the tone of your post. Thanks for the reply and correction.

THIS is why I love DBR and the folks who live here!!!

loran16
06-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Not to be my typical self here, but I think Olympicfan overstates things heavily when he says our DLine was solid. Yes, we have experience and yes the guys returning have made some big plays.

But on average, the D Line has been pretty godawful. As the SBN preview by a pretty good writer points out, last year the DLine was:
1. Well below average against the run (117th in the Country at getting stops behind the line)
2. Well below average at getting sacks (84th in sack rate once adjusted for competition).

And our best D Lineman, Kenny Anunike, is gone.

There's a serious case that our D Line could be, as that post mentioned, seriously one of the worst in the ACC, if not the worst. If we didn't have such a good young secondary, the D would be unsalvagable. But as it is, this is far from a solid unit.

budwom
06-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Yup, Olympic makes a lot of good points as do others...but having seen all of our games (like many on this board) I don't see how our pass rush
can be deemed adequate. We'll simply have to start doing better at this, and perhaps we will with the combination of experience and new guys.

dpslaw
06-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Given the relative strength of the secondary, even marginal improvements in our pass rush ought to yield big dividends.

budwom
06-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Given the relative strength of the secondary, even marginal improvements in our pass rush ought to yield big dividends.

Absolutely! It's amazing how well our VERY young secondary did given the poor pass rush. It was startling how
the defensive backfield evolved during the season (after the Pitt debacle) and how much athletic new talent
emerged there. Maybe this is the year our pass rush improves, let's hope so.

roywhite
06-13-2014, 10:47 AM
Absolutely! It's amazing how well our VERY young secondary did given the poor pass rush. It was startling how
the defensive backfield evolved during the season (after the Pitt debacle) and how much athletic new talent
emerged there. Maybe this is the year our pass rush improves, let's hope so.

With the experience and talent in the secondary, I'd guess we also see more blitz packages that involve them directly. Maybe some ways to spring Jeremy Cash to go after the QB.

Not as desirable as a consistent rush from the front four, but I think the overall defense can be improved this year.

Bob Green
06-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Here are links to and quotes from a couple of preview articles from College Football News:

http://duke.scout.com/story/1411557-duke-14-what-you-need-to-know?s=167

Yeah, Duke will have its share of defensive problems, especially if a pass rusher doesn’t emerge. But it’ll also have those games in which the D lights the fuse with a couple of picks and pick-sixes.

http://duke.scout.com/story/1411558-cfn-2014-duke-blue-devils-preview?s=167

Key game:

Sept. 27 at Miami. Is Duke ready to defend its Coastal Division crown? This trip to Sun Life Stadium will provide the first clues about the Blue Devils’ 2014 ceiling.

Both articles contain some good information, especially for those trying to gain an understanding of team personnel, strengths and challenges for Duke in the coming season. They are definitely worth the few minutes it takes to read them.

uh_no
06-15-2014, 03:05 PM
goduke released an article where they claimed duke was #17 in the USA today preseason poll

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209521464&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I have yet to see any source for this though, and the only USA today preseason ranking i can find has duke outside the top 25

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/rankings/2014/01/07/college-football-top-25-rankings-for-2014/4327545/

anyone have any idea what the actual source might be?

75Crazie
06-15-2014, 05:54 PM
I had a similar failure in confirming the GoDuke claim. I actually spent some time paging though the gawd-awful USA Today web pages and found a complete listing that showed Duke ranked #45.

Olympic Fan
06-15-2014, 07:42 PM
goduke released an article where they claimed duke was #17 in the USA today preseason poll

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209521464&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I have yet to see any source for this though, and the only USA today preseason ranking i can find has duke outside the top 25

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/rankings/2014/01/07/college-football-top-25-rankings-for-2014/4327545/

This is confusing ... Keep in mind that there are TWO USA Today rankings. One is the official USA Today Coaches' Poll, which plays a large part in the BCS standings. This is the actual vote of their coaching panel. Only trouble is that it is MUCH too early for the first 2014 poll. That poll will be out in August.

Then there are the newspaper's own preseason predictions, which is what is linked. But that link doesn't show Duke at No. 17 or even in the top 25 (it does show FSU at No. 1; Clemson at No. 19 and UNC at No. 24).

I have no idea what goduke is talking about ... but the story is extremely compete and detailed. It's hard to believe that it is made up out of thin air. Is there ANOTHER USA Today poll we don't know about?

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Perhaps when the Sport Information office reopens tomorrow this lingering question can be answered.

grossbus
06-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Boone interview in today's Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/college-gridiron-365/os-duke-qb-anthony-boone-talks-blue-devils-football-20140520,0,5199813.post

Reilly
06-15-2014, 09:33 PM
I had a similar failure in confirming the GoDuke claim. I actually spent some time paging though the gawd-awful USA Today web pages and found a complete listing that showed Duke ranked #45.

I was wondering if we might be #37 (in an 'others receiving votes' sort of way, and somebody mis-typed or something). Jawja Bulldogs #17 in the USA Today listing I found.

airowe
06-16-2014, 02:48 PM

The USA Today College Football Preview Magazine has Duke at #17.

http://duke.247sports.com/Board/59493/Contents/USA-Today-Ranked-Duke-17-in-Preseason-Magazine-29122841

Duke bought the magazine. USA Today hasn't revealed their Top 25 yet (they're at #78 in their countdown now (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/05/08/college-football-countdown-directory/8819991/))

Jim3k
06-17-2014, 02:50 AM
On that 247sports dot com page, there is a blue devil that is unrecognizable. Looks like the Central Connecticut Blue Devil (http://central-ct.bncollege.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BNCBHomePage?storeId=22051&catalogId=10001) facing front. Is 247 Sports unable to get the logo right? Over the years we have had several design changes. You'd think they could find an accurate (even if older) version.

And Central Connecticut might want to chime in, too.

Bob Green
06-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Redshirt freshman TE Dan Beilinson has suffered an off season injury and will be unavailable to compete in 2014:

http://vimeo.com/97944042

We have good depth at TE with Braxton Deaver, David Reeves and Erich Schneider, but it would have been good for Beilinson to gain some experience this season.

OldPhiKap
06-17-2014, 06:52 AM
Redshirt freshman TE Dan Beilinson has suffered an off season injury and will be unavailable to compete in 2014:

http://vimeo.com/97944042

We have good depth at TE with Braxton Deaver, David Reeves and Erich Schneider, but it would have been good for Beilinson to gain some experience this season.

Sad to hear that. Dan, good luck with recovery --- come back stronger and hungrier!

airowe
06-17-2014, 09:14 AM
On that 247sports dot com page, there is a blue devil that is unrecognizable. Looks like the Central Connecticut Blue Devil (http://central-ct.bncollege.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BNCBHomePage?storeId=22051&catalogId=10001) facing front. Is 247 Sports unable to get the logo right? Over the years we have had several design changes. You'd think they could find an accurate (even if older) version.

And Central Connecticut might want to chime in, too.

No, we're not allowed to use the Duke Blue Devil logo for copyright reasons so I had an artist develop an alternative one for me.

http://www.trademarklicensing.duke.edu/LogosandTrademarks.html

Olympic Fan
06-17-2014, 02:33 PM
The Golden Nugget just released opening lines on 200 college football games next season. Just one Duke game made the list -- Duke will open as a three-point underdog against UNC in a Nov. 11 Thursday night game:

http://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2014/6/13/163939/587/vegas-travel/Highlights+From+Golden+Nugget%27s+Release+Of+Colle ge+Football+Point+Spreads

Long way to go and a lot can happen before that gametime (and clearly, the line will change before kickoff), but give me equal luck on health and I'd really like to put money on Duke to beat a team they've beaten twice in a row ...

Dev11
06-17-2014, 04:51 PM
The Golden Nugget just released opening lines on 200 college football games next season. Just one Duke game made the list -- Duke will open as a three-point underdog against UNC in a Nov. 11 Thursday night game:

http://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2014/6/13/163939/587/vegas-travel/Highlights+From+Golden+Nugget%27s+Release+Of+Colle ge+Football+Point+Spreads

Long way to go and a lot can happen before that gametime (and clearly, the line will change before kickoff), but give me equal luck on health and I'd really like to put money on Duke to beat a team they've beaten twice in a row ...

Further, don't underestimate the allure of the Victory Bell. It's not college football's most glamorous rivalry trophy, but it's almost certainly the loudest, and I'm fairly sure the Yoh building is now known to ring with some regularity.

Bob Green
06-20-2014, 03:41 PM

OldPhiKap
06-20-2014, 03:45 PM

Seats with backs? Hallelujah!

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-20-2014, 04:48 PM

The seat width may be more important than that seat back.

When Eddie Cameron drew up his idea for seats in Cameron, I believe I read that there was a choice of 19" seats or 17". The wider seats were chosen..... that's proven to be a very wise decision.

There are seat backs in Kenan, for example, but the width of the individual seat allowing more tickets to be sold and the unyielding angle of the back make for a torture chamber environment for game day.

I'm not complaining. It's simply that I have very high standards.:cool:

uh_no
06-20-2014, 06:47 PM

seats with no legroom? sigh.

OldPhiKap
06-20-2014, 06:48 PM

At my age, knees heal quicker than backs.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Anyone who's bought furniture knows that a chair may look good in a picture and be very uncomfortable to sit in. How comfortable these new seats will be is an unknown at this time.

PDDuke85
06-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Anyone who's bought furniture knows that a chair may look good in a picture and be very uncomfortable to sit in. How comfortable these new seats will be is an unknown at this time.
Call me the eternal optimist but I anticipate using the new modern seats for a brief period prior to the National Anthem, and half time. Otherwise, I look forward to standing for most of the game. Go Cut, Go Duke.

devildeac
06-20-2014, 11:19 PM

We'd love to see your (Boston) butt in one of those this season;).

OldPhiKap
06-21-2014, 08:30 AM
We'd love to see your (Boston) butt in one of those this season;).

Smoking one tonight for the World Cup. Bone in this time, thankfully.

Hope to make a game, and another bowl. Great to finally meet you, Ozzie, and deac-in-law at the Peach-fil-A.

Bob Green
06-22-2014, 11:09 AM

CameronBornAndBred
06-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Exactly. Sitting in Kenan sucks for that very reason. (Also sucks because of the ugly colors on the field.)

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Call me the eternal optimist but I anticipate using the new modern seats for a brief period prior to the National Anthem, and half time. Otherwise, I look forward to standing for most of the game. Go Cut, Go Duke.

Since I'm rather short, I hope your seats are not in front of me! ;) I'm very involved in the game, monitoring the coaches on the sidelines and checking out treatment of any injuries behind the bench.

uh_no
06-22-2014, 03:49 PM
Exactly. Sitting in Kenan sucks for that very reason. (Also sucks because of the ugly colors on the field.)

well, and the municipality, and the university, and the fans...but i see your point :)

Bob Green
06-23-2014, 03:32 PM
No timetable for cornerback Johnathan Lloyd's return after arthroscopic surgery on his left ankle.

http://duke.scout.com/story/1413836-lloyd-undergoes-ankle-surgery?s=167

Bob Green
06-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Defensive back preview:

http://vimeo.com/98946078

Coach Cutcliffe states the secondary has the chance to be the best in the ACC. We had three All ACC guys at safety with Jeremy Cash, Deondre Singleton and DeVon Edwards. He does express concern about depth and says Johnathan Lloyd and T.J. Douglas were moved the DB because they are extremely talented guys. Coach says Breon Borders and Bryon Fields are penciled in as the starters at cornerback.

An information filled video clip for sure.

CameronBornAndBred
06-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Reasons why Duke is a favorite to repeat as Coastal champion.

Here is one of the biggest: Duke is the only team in the ACC to return its leading passer, rusher and receiver from a year ago. The Blue Devils return their top two leading tacklers, too.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/71535/one-more-reason-duke-is-a-favorite

Olympic Fan
06-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Defensive back preview:

http://vimeo.com/98946078

Coach Cutcliffe states the secondary has the chance to be the best in the ACC. We had three All ACC guys at safety with Jeremy Cash, Deondre Singleton and DeVon Edwards. He does express concern about depth and says Johnathan Lloyd and T.J. Douglas were moved the DB because they are extremely talented guys. Coach says Breon Borders and Bryon Fields are penciled in as the starters at cornerback.

An information filled video clip for sure.

I can understand Coach Cut's concerns about depth -- two years ago, safety appeared to be out deepest position, but we have some many injuries and defections (remember August Campbell and Chris Taveras?) that by the end of the season, we were recruiting DBs out of the stands.

I LOVE our starting secondary -- which is amazingly young: we're going to start three true sophomores (CB Borders, CB Fields, S Singleton) and a redshirt sophomore (S D Edwards), plus a redshirt junior who has played just one year at Duke (S Jeremy Cash). That's as good a defensive backfield is there is in the ACC.

But we do have backup options. McCarthy and Norman have both started in the past. Quay Mann and Evrett Edwards are redshirt freshmen who were both around for the spring before their freshman season -- E Edwards is the most highly touted DB we've signed. Just because we redshirted him, don't forget him -- we redshirted Ross Cockrell and DeVon Edwards and look how they turned out!

One of the best things about our DBs are their flexibility -- we have five positions, but a number of those kids can play more than one. We have more experienced depth at safety with Norman and McCarthy, but D Edwards is also a great corner ... I love the two new guys coming in, especially CB Saxton. They could play as true freshmen (Borders and Fields did).

So we could withstand an injury or two. Yeah, a succession of injuries as in 2012 could hurt, but that's true of any position -- and any team.

I think of all the positions on the Duke team, we start the season in the best shape in the defensive backfield (I might have said QB if Connette had come back or RB if Duncan was available).

Bob Green
06-24-2014, 05:25 PM
The roster at GoDuke.com has been updated. Freshmen have been added while Brandon Connette (transfer to Fresno State), Michael Westray (dismissed for violating team rules), Jared Boyd (medical redshirt) and Mario Sanders (medical redshirt) have been removed. By my count, we are at 85 now.

I suspect Boyd and Sanders' careers could be over but that is just my opinion.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22667

Laken Tomlinson now listed at 330, Matt Skura 305, Takoby Cofield 310, Tanner Stone 300, Lucas Patrick 305. The starting offensive line averages 310.

Here is a video interview with Laken Tomlinson:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209529469&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Bob Green
06-24-2014, 05:29 PM
... I love the two new guys coming in, especially CB Saxton. They could play as true freshmen (Borders and Fields did).

Everything I've read and seen (video clips) indicates Saxton is a playmaker. We need 10 defensive backs to fill out the 2 Deep roster so Saxton playing as a true freshman is a possibility.

Bob Green
07-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Carlos Wray sporting a new haircut:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209535524&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200#

He comes across as a down to earth, hardworking young man in the interview in which he emphasizes leadership by example.

johnb
07-02-2014, 11:44 PM
and from the chronicle,

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2014/07/01/extreme-makeover-duke-football-edition

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-03-2014, 03:12 PM
and from the chronicle,

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2014/07/01/extreme-makeover-duke-football-edition
Following this article there is a comment made by a member of the Class of 1982 which may be of some interest. It sounds as if the person making the comment expects to learn that admission standards have fallen and perhaps the team's GPA is meaningless. The person who wrote it makes comments which make me think of the current mess in Chapel Hill. Are success as an athlete and success a student somehow incompatible?

Bob Green
07-04-2014, 08:38 AM
ACC Coordinator of Football Officiating visited the David Glenn show recently to discuss 2014 rules changing. Here is a link to the 16 minute audio clip (I'm listening to it as I type):

http://www.accsports.com/articles/doug-rhoads-breaks-down-rules-changes-for-2014

"The true mark of what we're after in officiating is to have the game administered fairly, equitably and managed by the rules," Rhoads said. "It's not calling fouls. It's the clock, the spot of the ball. Did the clock start or stop? Did we mark the foul off right? That kind of thing."

There will be an 8th official on the field this season, in all conference games and Notre Dame games, called the Center Judge located in the offensive backfield.

OldPhiKap
07-04-2014, 08:39 AM
There will be a eight official on the field this season, in all conference games and Notre Dame games, called the Center Judge located in the offensive backfield.

I wonder if that will lead to more holding calls.

Bob Green
07-04-2014, 08:42 AM

In the discussion, Rhoads says the official will help keep an eye on illegal hits on the passer amongst other things such as spotting the ball.

TruBlu
07-04-2014, 10:52 AM
In the discussion, Rhoads says the official will help keep an eye on illegal hits on the passer amongst other things such as spotting the ball.

The new Center Judge should be named the "Va Tech cheap shot Judge".

(Yes, I hold grudges.)

TruBlu
07-04-2014, 10:59 AM

(Yes, I hold grudges.)

devildeac
07-04-2014, 11:13 AM

Only against Duke:rolleyes::mad:.

devildeac
07-04-2014, 11:14 AM

(Yes, I hold grudges.)

I believe that official would need to be located close to the VT sideline:rolleyes::mad:.

Jarhead
07-04-2014, 02:57 PM

(Yes, I hold grudges.)

(Yes, I hold grudges.)

One at 10.52 AM today, and the other at 10.59 AM. Posting for double emphasis, I assume. Good idea. I'm just killing time here.

TruBlu
07-04-2014, 05:29 PM
One at 10.52 AM today, and the other at 10.59 AM. Posting for double emphasis, I assume. Good idea. I'm just killing time here.

Computer malfunction . . . couldn't possibly be the operator.:o I even deleted the second one, but it came back.

CameronBornAndBred
07-06-2014, 08:04 AM
I even deleted the second one, but it came back.
That happens with my beers. I make one go away and it magically shows back up in a full bottle.

The extra judge was added so Devildeac will have another zebra to yell at.

davekay1971
07-06-2014, 09:49 AM
That happens with my beers. I make one go away and it magically shows back up in a full bottle.

How can I make that happen in my world?

devildeac
07-06-2014, 09:55 AM
How can I make that happen in my world?

Make more frequent stops here and buy twice as much:rolleyes:;).

http://nodabrewing.com/

devildeac
07-06-2014, 09:56 AM

The extra judge was added so Devildeac will have another zebra to yell at.

Hey, I resemble that remark.:p:o

Bob Green
07-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Anthony Boone and Jamison Crowder have been named to the Maxwell Award watch list.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/07/maxwell-award-watch-list-highlighted-by-winston-petty-mariota/

Crowder and DeVon Edwards have been named to the Paul Hornung Award watch list:

http://www.kbtx.com/sports/home/headlines/47-Players-Named-to-Paul-Hornung-Award-Watch-List-266068921.html

Kelby Brown and Jeremy Cash have been named to the Chuck Bednarik Award watch list:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/07/bednarik-award-watch-list-names-76-players/

It is great to see the guys named to these lists. Whether or not one of them ends up winning an award, the recognition afforded by the nomination acknowledges all the hard work they have put in during their career to date. Congratulations to all!

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Anthony Boone and Jamison Crowder have been named to the Maxwell Award watch list.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/07/maxwell-award-watch-list-highlighted-by-winston-petty-mariota/

Crowder and DeVon Edwards have been named to the Paul Hornung Award watch list:

http://www.kbtx.com/sports/home/headlines/47-Players-Named-to-Paul-Hornung-Award-Watch-List-266068921.html

Kelby Brown and Jeremy Cash have been named to the Chuck Bednarik Award watch list:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/07/bednarik-award-watch-list-names-76-players/

It is great to see the guys named to these lists. Whether or not one of them ends up winning an award, the recognition afforded by the nomination acknowledges all the hard work they have put in during their career to date. Congratulations to all!

This is just the beginning of the announcement of watch lists for the coming season. Expect to see more names from the Duke roster as the various 2014 watch lists appear.;)

Bob Green
07-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Coach Cutcliffe video preview of the Special Teams:

http://vimeo.com/99577761

There are some beautiful scenes in that video of Jamison Crowder and DeVon Edwards returning punts and kicks for touchdowns, plus Ross Martin nailing the 53 yard FG at the end of the 1st half in Blacksburg.

Coach Cutcliffe says strong special teams play can be the difference in three or four ball games a season.

OldPhiKap
07-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Coach Cutcliffe video preview of the Special Teams:

http://vimeo.com/99577761

There are some beautiful scenes in that video of Jamison Crowder and DeVon Edwards returning punts and kicks for touchdowns, plus Ross Martin nailing the 53 yard FG at the end of the 1st half in Blacksburg.

Coach Cutcliffe says strong special teams play can be the difference in three or four ball games a season.

Cut's Pregame pressers always emphasize that there are three phases to the game -- offense, defense, special teams. Not sure he looks at it differently than other coaches,but he sure takes a lot of pride in special teams.

Go Duke!

Bob Green
07-08-2014, 10:51 AM
This is just the beginning of the announcement of watch lists for the coming season. Expect to see more names from the Duke roster as the various 2014 watch lists appear.;)

Congratulations to TE Braxton Deaver for being named to the John Mackey Award watch list:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209542271&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Bob Green
07-08-2014, 11:17 AM
C Matt Skura has been named to the Rimington Trophy watch list:

http://www.rimingtontrophy.com/watchlist/

Congratulations!

Bob Green
07-08-2014, 04:01 PM
This week's summer spotlight is 2013 All America Jeremy Cash:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209542964&DB_OEM_ID=4200

johnb
07-09-2014, 11:10 AM
This week's summer spotlight is 2013 All America Jeremy Cash:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209542964&DB_OEM_ID=4200

While this my be old news to some people (particularly Bob Green, who wrote the story linked below), it's important not to overly focus on rising high school seniors who've made verbal commitments at the expense of our incoming redshirt freshmen, some of whom arrived on campus in January 2013...

http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/07/reintroducing-redshirt-freshmen/

Bob Green
07-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Congratulations to Will Monday on being one of 25 punters on the Ray Guy Award watch list:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209573435&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-09-2014, 04:01 PM
Congratulations to Will Monday on being one of 25 punters on the Ray Guy Award watch list:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209573435&DB_OEM_ID=4200
I just love this sort of roll call, don't you?

Bob Green
07-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Laken Tomlinson has been named to the Outland Trophy watch list:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209574688&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Kelby Brown and Jeremy Cash have been named to the Bronko Nagurski Trophy watch list:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209573637&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Congratulations to all three! As long as these preseason watch list keep coming out, perhaps I'll be able to continue bumping the Duke football thread above the P.J. Hairston and Carolina Academic Scandal comedy threads.

C'mon folks! Let's talk some football. Season opening kick-off is in 51 days, 2 hours and 6 minutes.

Faison1
07-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Wow! Is that a dozen nominations now?!?! I'm flabbergasted! What a change of fortunes.....from laughing stock to respectability!

Coach Cut for President!!!!

Just to get a rise out of Olympic Fan:

When do the Defensive Line Nominations come out?

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-10-2014, 06:14 PM
50 days until the cheetahs are turned loose for the hunt.

Sharing something Coach Jones has posted for the team:

The Select The Elite The Coalition

Olympic Fan
07-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Just to get a rise out of Olympic Fan:

When do the Defensive Line Nominations come out?

It's a funny thing, but there is no real award for the best defensive lineman. There is an award (the Ted Hendricks Award) for the best defensive end. And defensive lineman are included in the Outland Trophy consideration (which also includes offensive linemen). The Lombardi Trophy once was supposed to go to the best defensive lineman, but more often than not, it goes to linebackers (two of the last three years).

Bob Green
07-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Jeremy Cash has been named to the Jim Thorpe Award watch list:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209574865&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Congratulations to Cash on picking up his third nomination (Thorpe/Nagurski/Bednarik).

Henderson
07-12-2014, 07:25 PM
I nominate Winston Jameis for the 2014-15 Pinocchio Award:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11206661/jameis-winston-reiterates-desire-earn-degree-florida-state

He says he wants to stay in college, because nothing's more important than an FSU degree.

Please.

CameronBornAndBred
07-12-2014, 10:02 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11206661/jameis-winston-reiterates-desire-earn-degree-florida-state

He says he wants to stay in college, because nothing's more important than an FSU degree.

Please.
I've been following this, and I don't find any fault in it whatsoever. I DO find fault in plenty of his other off-field endeavors, but I find this attitude respectful. He stayed this year, so he will be just one season away from fulfilling his degree. Any athlete that puts grades as a priority, especially a high profile one, gets at least one tip of my hat. Unfortunately he has also earned several times over a number of finger flips from me as well. Still, I do give both him and his dad credit for putting academics up there on the priority list.

Side note, this should probably be in different thread, he isn't playing for Duke next year. :rolleyes:

devildeac
07-12-2014, 10:22 PM

Please.

Wonder if he got a ride to the supermarket a while back from this teammate:

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/local/fsu-news/2014/07/10/fsu-football-player-arrested-on-charges-of-grand-theft/12471261/

Mike Corey
07-13-2014, 01:12 PM
White version (http://instagram.com/p/qUxGbhy-cq/).

Black version (http://instagram.com/p/qW5vz8S-XP/?modal=true).

And blue (http://instagram.com/p/qW5vz8S-XP/?modal=true).

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-13-2014, 01:44 PM
White version (http://instagram.com/p/qUxGbhy-cq/).

Black version (http://instagram.com/p/qW5vz8S-XP/?modal=true).

And blue (http://instagram.com/p/qW5vz8S-XP/?modal=true).

So you're breaking this news ahead of the 9A announcement tomorrow?

Bob Green
07-13-2014, 02:36 PM

I don't think those are the actual ones that will be revealed tomorrow at 9 am as that White Version picture has been posted at TDD for several days.

Mike Corey
07-13-2014, 06:38 PM

Definitely not breaking the news, just redistributing it. Those three uniforms were plucked from the Duke Football accounts on Instagram and on Facebook. They've published each with a teaser to check out the full pics tmw at 9.

The photo of the white uniform was published by Duke Football on July 11th (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=653462968063283&set=a.178145132261738.43636.145989688810616&type=1&theater); the black uniform was published July 12th (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=653462968063283&set=a.178145132261738.43636.145989688810616&type=1&theater); the blue uniform was published today (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=654365281306385&set=a.178145132261738.43636.145989688810616&type=1&theater).

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Definitely not breaking the news, just redistributing it. Those three uniforms were plucked from the Duke Football accounts on Instagram and on Facebook. They've published each with a teaser to check out the full pics tmw at 9.

The photo of the white uniform was published by Duke Football on July 11th (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=653462968063283&set=a.178145132261738.43636.145989688810616&type=1&theater); the black uniform was published July 12th (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=653462968063283&set=a.178145132261738.43636.145989688810616&type=1&theater); the blue uniform was published today (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=654365281306385&set=a.178145132261738.43636.145989688810616&type=1&theater).
I hope you're planning on being on campus some time this season.

Mike Corey
07-13-2014, 07:00 PM
That is absolutely the plan. We will see if my job schedule works out that I can make it down for a game. :)

Mike Corey
07-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Here they are (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=654860591256854):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsgbCkGCAAAezG5.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsgbJsmIAAAmAZa.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsgbnFLIcAAUN4I.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsgdlZpIYAAuO96.jpg:large

blazindw
07-14-2014, 09:53 AM
The new jerseys look fantastic. I hope they sell all 3 jerseys in the store this season!

Also, got my season tickets back after a year's hiatus, so Mike I got you whenever you need one! :)

CameronBornAndBred
07-14-2014, 11:12 AM
I had seen some teasers about a possible new helmet design; I'm happy we are sticking with the Iron D.

loran16
07-14-2014, 01:32 PM
I could not dislike these more. Side stripes look dumb, the vertical stripes were classic. The front numbers look hilariously undersized. What a shame.

CameronBornAndBred
07-14-2014, 01:42 PM
I could not dislike these more. Side stripes look dumb, the vertical stripes were classic. The front numbers look hilariously undersized. What a shame.
The side stripes are completely classic. Literally. They are there to commemorate the 1989 ACC championship team. That is why this video starts with them.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=65612&id=3336311

sagegrouse
07-14-2014, 01:55 PM

The side stripes are completely classic. Literally. They are there to commemorate the 1989 ACC championship team. That is why this video starts with them.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=65612&id=3336311

And, of course, the vertical stripes made the uniforms look like the Indianapolis Colts -- a Peyton Manning connection, which is an anachronism. We always have the option of adding the Denver Broncos "swoosh" or the NY Giants red-and-white sleeve stripes (for Eli).

Duvall
07-14-2014, 02:24 PM
And, of course, the vertical stripes made the uniforms look like the Indianapolis Colts -- a Peyton Manning connection, which is an anachronism. We always have the option of adding the Denver Broncos "swoosh" or the NY Giants red-and-white sleeve stripes (for Eli).

The Denver swoosh has already been tried and found wanting.

rhynelander
07-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Short interview with Jamison Crowder on Duke's upcoming season, as well as their rise through his career. Softball questions, but at the end you can tell how hungry Jamison is and how he really pushes himself.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/72102/qa-with-duke-wr-jamison-crowder?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Bob Green
07-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Kelby Brown to the Dick Butkus Award watch list:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209577108&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Jamison Crowder to the Fred Biletnikoff Award watch list:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209577574&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Plus the summer spotlight is on junior running back Shaquille Powell:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209577583&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Powell gives a good interview in which he actually answers the questions and in the end he states:

We are going for the ACC Championship.

Bob Green
07-15-2014, 05:47 PM
UPS just delivered my season tickets. The Green Family is good to go!

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-15-2014, 06:05 PM
UPS just delivered my season tickets. The Green Family is good to go!

Your post is well timed. Made me check at my front door... and there was the UPS package!

Faison1
07-15-2014, 06:06 PM

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209577108&DB_OEM_ID=4200

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209577574&DB_OEM_ID=4200

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209577583&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Powell gives a good interview in which he actually answers the questions and in the end he states:

Shaq Powell is a pretty impressive dude.

Remind me which running back we lost this offseason.....and will that loss make a big dent in our ground game?

Bob Green
07-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Shaq Powell is a pretty impressive dude.

Remind me which running back we lost this offseason.....and will that loss make a big dent in our ground game?

We lost two running backs from last season's roster. Juwan Thompson to graduation and Jela Duncan to a suspension. Thompson was a solid runner and our best blocking running back. Jela Duncan was our second leading rusher last season and he is a beast. The good news is he is scheduled to return in 2015 for two more seasons.

Josh Snead and Shaq Powell will have to shoulder a bigger load in 2014. Redshirt freshman Joseph Ajeigbe appears ready to step in and see considerable action. He carried the ball 10 times for 59 yards and logged four receptions for 34 yards in the Spring Game.

Faison1
07-15-2014, 06:24 PM
We lost two running backs from last season's roster. Juwan Thompson to graduation and Jela Duncan to a suspension. Thompson was a solid runner and our best blocking running back. Jela Duncan was our second leading rusher last season and he is a beast. The good news is he is scheduled to return in 2015 for two more seasons.

Josh Snead and Shaq Powell will have to shoulder a bigger load in 2014. Redshirt freshman Joseph Ajeigbe appears ready to step in and see considerable action. He carried the ball 10 times for 59 yards and logged four receptions for 34 yards in the Spring Game.

Would Jela Duncan be our #1 Back if he wasn't suspended?

Bob Green
07-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Would Jela Duncan be our #1 Back if he wasn't suspended?

I don't have a straight forward answer to your question. Josh Snead started 11 games in 2013 so I consider him our #1 back; however, we use a deep running back rotation so in some respects there is no #1 back. Snead carried the ball 107 times for 670 yards, while Duncan carried it 113 for 573 yards.

Tappan Zee Devil
07-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Your post is well timed. Made me check at my front door... and there was the UPS package!

So, if you had been a little slower, maybe I would drive by and snatch them up :)

devildeac
07-15-2014, 07:23 PM
So, if you had been a little slower, maybe I would drive by and snatch them up :)

Nice try/thought but you're coming from the Hudson (River) Valley and her tickets were delivered to an undisclosed location somewhere in NC so I doubt you had much of a chance:p. Besides, you haven't seen DitBD move when it's time for football;).

sagegrouse
07-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Nice try/thought but you're coming from the Hudson (River) Valley and her tickets were delivered to an undisclosed location somewhere in NC so I doubt you had much of a chance:p. Besides, you haven't seen DitBD move when it's time for football;).

She didn't land Position A at the tailgate by accident.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-15-2014, 07:38 PM
When I was dating in Kappa Alpha Order, there were many fine linemen among the brothers. I learned a lot about how to make the best of whatever blocking was available.;)

Tappan Zee Devil
07-15-2014, 07:40 PM

Also, I will be (like in every other year in recent memory) on the wrong side of the World from early October to late November flying geophysics missions over Antarctica. It was just a wet dream.

devildeac
07-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Also, I will be (like in every other year in recent memory) on the wrong side of the World from early October to late November flying geophysics missions over Antarctica. It was just a wet dream.

Come to a game in September;).

Merlindevildog91
07-15-2014, 10:24 PM

There's also August 30.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-16-2014, 01:08 PM
FYI Meet the Blue Devils Day will be August 16. Here's a link which will continue to offer updates and details.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209574962

CameronBornAndBred
07-16-2014, 01:59 PM

Anthony Boone joins the party, is added to the Davey O'Brien watch list. (He is already on the Maxwell award list.)
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-s-boone-named-to-davey-o-brien-watch-list/13816250/

CameronBornAndBred
07-16-2014, 02:29 PM
In the ACC blog, David Hale takes a look at redshirts in the ACC. Last year, Duke was near the bottom (or top, depending on your point of view) of the list. Only Louisville (19%) and GT (15%) played less of their true freshmen. Duke played 5 guys out of 20 signees. (Syracuse played only 4, but they also only had 10 signees.)

Team
Signees
Played (%)
ESPN 300 (played)

Boston College
7 (47%)
0 (0)

Clemson
9 (41%)
9 (2)

Duke
5 (25%)
0 (0)

Florida State
12 (60%)
12 (8)

Georgia Tech
2 (15%)
0 (0)

Louisville
3 (19%)
4 (1)

Miami
10 (67%)
7 (6)

N. Carolina
8 (47%)
5 (2)

NC State
10 (45%)
0 (0)

Pittsburgh
12 (44%)
2 (2)

Syracuse
4 (40%)
0 (0)

Virginia
11 (52%)
1 (1)

Virginia Tech
7 (44%)
1 (1)

Wake Forest
9 (38%)
0 (0)

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/72195/accs-lunch-links-redshirt-not-required

I am getting really excited to see some of the new talent on the field that has learned our game in the last year.

Bob Green
07-16-2014, 03:59 PM
In the ACC blog, David Hale takes a look at redshirts in the ACC. Last year, Duke was near the bottom (or top, depending on your point of view) of the list. Only Louisville (19%) and GT (15%) played less of their true freshmen. Duke played 5 guys out of 20 signees. (Syracuse played only 4, but they also only had 10 signees.)

I am getting really excited to see some of the new talent on the field that has learned our game in the last year.

An interesting article, which communicates a possible philosophy shift afoot in college football. Not redshirting is certainly a trend recruitniks will need to keep an eye on to see what, if any, impact the trend has on the recruiting landscape.

For Duke, IMHO, Coach Cutcliffe's aggressive redshirting has been a huge factor in program resuscitation. True freshman who are ready have certainly played right away. Jamison Crowder, Josh Snead, Kelby Brown, Shaquille Powell, Johnell Barnes, Breon Borders, Bryon Fields, Deondre Singleton and Ryan Smith are all guys who played as true freshmen. Playing those who are ready while giving the majority of true freshmen a year to grow is an approach that is working in Durham.

I believe we will see some true freshmen play this coming season. Which ones will play? I'm not sure but WR Trevon Lee, RB Shaun Wilson, CB Alonzo Saxton and CB Johnathan Lloyd are certainly players to keep an eye on. It is very difficult to predict which true freshmen will play immediately.

As far as the guys who took a redshirt last season, there is a long list of talented players who could make an impact on the field in 2014. RB Joseph Ajeigbe, S/CB Evrett Edwards, WR Quay Chambers, WR Terrence Alls, LB Dominic McDonald, S Jake Kite....and several more.

Special teams is a good place to watch for the younger players to make an impact.

Olympic Fan
07-17-2014, 01:20 PM
The first Vegas book I've seen lists Duke's over/under win total this season at 8.5:

http://www.bettingtalk.com/sec-college-football-season-win-totals-posted-vegas-sportsbook/

That's a lot of respect for a program that has topped 8.5 wins just once (last year) in the last 70 years!

chrishoke
07-17-2014, 02:03 PM
The first Vegas book I've seen lists Duke's over/under win total this season at 8.5:

http://www.bettingtalk.com/sec-college-football-season-win-totals-posted-vegas-sportsbook/

That's a lot of respect for a program that has topped 8.5 wins just once (last year) in the last 70 years!

I believe it was 4.5 last year. That's quite a jump.

johnb
07-17-2014, 04:03 PM

though to be statistically fair, we were 8-2 as recently as 54 years ago (easier to win 8 or 9 games with several extra games).

another stat is Duke's all time record (474-494-31). Incoming recruits can be playing when we get back to .500. Perhaps that isn't a great reason to come, but it's actually kinda amazing that we're even close given the past few decades...

CameronBornAndBred
07-17-2014, 04:36 PM
though to be statistically fair, we were 8-2 as recently as 54 years ago (easier to win 8 or 9 games with several extra games).
True...but we were 10-2 this year before we played our bowl games. :D

Bob Green
07-19-2014, 07:29 AM
ACC Football Kickoff media event is Sunday and Monday in Greensboro. Kelby Brown and Laken Tomlinson are the two Duke players participating:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209585506&DB_OEM_ID=4200

The event will be streaming across a variety of digital and social media platforms, including the official Twitter of Duke football: @Duke_FB. Fans can also follow Brown, Tomlinson and Cutcliffe at the ACC Football Kickoff homepage: http://theacc.co/14ACCkickoff.

42 days!

Bob Green
07-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Here is a nice article from Scout on the preseason two deep depth chart:

http://duke.scout.com/story/1422543-preseason-depth-chart-notes?s=167

There is some commentary below the depth chart, which sounds very familiar. Perhaps Scout authors read DBR. :cool: The article calls out freshmen Trevon Lee, Chris Taylor, Shaun Wilson, Edgar Cerenord, Tinashe Bere, Johnathan Lloyd and Alonzo Saxton as guys who could contribute right away.

Listen to Quants
07-20-2014, 01:34 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/72195/accs-lunch-links-redshirt-not-required

So, 56% of the ACC ESPN300 signees played while 40% of the kids outside-the-ESPN300 played (86/217). It's just one year in one conference, but that looks like the players' abilities (as judged by inclusion in the ESPN 300) is far from the only factor, and perhaps not the dominant one. Is specific-position team need and/or individual player's preference a stronger factor? Are there other factors?

Bob Green
07-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Laken Tomlinson and Kelby Brown coming on right now:

http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/media_days_m-footbl

loran16
07-20-2014, 02:33 PM
So, 56% of the ACC ESPN300 signees played while 40% of the kids outside-the-ESPN300 played (86/217). It's just one year in one conference, but that looks like the players' abilities (as judged by inclusion in the ESPN 300) is far from the only factor, and perhaps not the dominant one. Is specific-position team need and/or individual player's preference a stronger factor? Are there other factors?

Position Need and Player Talent are generally the big things - Duke needed defenders in the secondary bad, so Fields, Singleton, and Borders all got time. Better teams start to redshirt more of their players if possible, and it's nice that we can do that with 3/4 of the class.

Duvall
07-21-2014, 01:03 PM
ACC Football Kickoff Preseason Poll released. (http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/2014-Preseason-Poll-and-POY_07-21-14_w0v3da)

Voters show Duke no respect, as expected. Well, some respect. Okay, a lot of respect - Duke is picked to finish second in the Coastal, behind Miami.

Dev11
07-21-2014, 01:22 PM
ACC Football Kickoff Preseason Poll released. (http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/2014-Preseason-Poll-and-POY_07-21-14_w0v3da)

Voters show Duke no respect, as expected. Well, some respect. Okay, a lot of respect - Duke is picked to finish second in the Coastal, behind Miami.

And we got the most first place votes of all the teams in the Coastal. It's an awesome new world.

sagegrouse
07-21-2014, 01:23 PM

Something is wrong with the numbers in the Atlantic Division. FSU receives 109 first place votes to only three for Clemson. Yet the 'Noles leads in vote totals by only 670 points to 660. Hunh?

And BTW Duke gets more first place votes than Miami, 33 to 26. In truth the top four teams in the Coastal, which include VT and UNC, are close in points and number of first place votes.

CameronBornAndBred
07-21-2014, 03:32 PM
I am pleased that we get the recognition, and very surprised that Carolina is down at 4th. I thought they would be picked ahead of us, and if not, I figured they would be third at a minimum.

I liked this statement from Kelby Brown yesterday.

Q. I'll ask you the same thing that we asked Laken. Do you expect tomorrow when the poll comes out that you'll be picked to win the coastal, and have you guys been treated with the respect of a champion?
KELBY BROWN: To be honest, man, I probably won't look at that poll. I'm sure someone will call me and let me know, but I'm not too worried about where we end up on that thing. We've been lost in that poll for years and years. People have given us a lot more respect for sure. Luckily we have another season to prove that we deserve it. Last season is over, man; I'm excited to move forward and do bigger and better things this year.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/interviews-duke-s-laken-tomlinson-kelby-brown/13826335/#6wd0J64FW3gGj8JK.99

P.S....The POY vote for Crowder came from Laura Keeley

johnb
07-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Something is wrong with the numbers in the Atlantic Division. FSU receives 109 first place votes to only three for Clemson. Yet the 'Noles leads in vote totals by only 670 points to 660. Hunh?

And BTW Duke gets more first place votes than Miami, 33 to 26. In truth the top four teams in the Coastal, which include VT and UNC, are close in points and number of first place votes.

FSU seems to have 780 points to Clemson's 660. http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/2014-Preseason-Poll-and-POY_07-21-14_w0v3da
The 670/66 might have been an earlier error...

anonj
07-21-2014, 05:23 PM
I am pleased that we get the recognition, and very surprised that Carolina is down at 4th. I thought they would be picked ahead of us, and if not, I figured they would be third at a minimum.

Surprised me as well. They've got some solid talent and they've seemed to be the dark-horse pick every season for the past five or so years but never live up to the hype. Not that I'm complaining! ;)

Bob Green
07-21-2014, 07:15 PM
A nice video interview with Coach Cutcliffe from the ACCDN:

http://www.theacc.com/#!/video-detail/lrODQ1bzrO1UKFf9OCBaMh2TGJWoF2T_

In discussing last season's bowl game, Coach Cutcliffe says Duke was the better team and if he had coached a little better we would have won.

dpslaw
07-22-2014, 01:03 AM
Here's Cut on the keys to the season:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/21/4020738/duke-football-coach-david-cutcliffe.html#storylink=cpy

It includes an interesting quote on Connette and Sirk:

“Brandon’s toughness and physicality was exceptional, always will be. But Thomas has a higher ceiling,” Cutcliffe said. “He’s faster. He’s probably got more big-play potential.”

Bob Green
07-22-2014, 05:15 AM
Coach Cutcliffe's lays out two or three keys to the season, none of which are surprising. Here is the my takeaway from his comments:

We’ve got to run the football better.

A simple statement, which is also a powerful statement. That's traditional football strategy, run to setup the pass. We averaged 178 rushing yards per game in 2013, can we improve in 2014? Coach Cutcliffe indicates we have to in order to win.

The N&O wouldn't allow me access to the article, I guess I've exceeded my monthly limit, so here is a link to the same article at the Charlotte Observer for others in my predicament:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/07/21/5058421/duke-football-coach-david-cutcliffe.html#.U84oUsJOXIU

loran16
07-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Coach Cutcliffe's lays out two or three keys to the season, none of which are surprising. Here is the my takeaway from his comments:

A simple statement, which is also a powerful statement. That's traditional football strategy, run to setup the pass. We averaged 178 rushing yards per game in 2013, can we improve in 2014? Coach Cutcliffe indicates we have to in order to win.

The N&O wouldn't allow me access to the article, I guess I've exceeded my monthly limit, so here is a link to the same article at the Charlotte Observer for others in my predicament:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/07/21/5058421/duke-football-coach-david-cutcliffe.html#.U84oUsJOXIU

Kind of disappointed with that quote because we WERE good with running the ball last season. By Football Outsiders' S&P measure, duke was the 39th best rushing team in the nation last year http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaoff (we were 30th in passing). Now we can improve that sure, but that's already quite above average. You're not likely to drasticallly improve that with roughly the same personnel (or actually lesser, with two uncertain O-linemen and the lack of Duncan).

By contrast, Duke was 53rd in pass D last year by a similar metric, but EIGHTY SECOND in run defense. That should be the focus. Duke ran the ball WELL last year. I get that Cut is an offensive coach but that wasn't an issue. Focus on the issue which was the run DEFENSE.

johnb
07-22-2014, 10:54 AM
A list of the football programs that had the best off seasons (hint, Duke's on the list, and the article gives a hint as to Coach's ability to present the program)...

http://247sports.com/Article/Ten-college-football-programs-that-had-the-best-off-season-29729740

Bob Green
07-22-2014, 06:52 PM
By contrast, Duke was 53rd in pass D last year by a similar metric, but EIGHTY SECOND in run defense. That should be the focus. Duke ran the ball WELL last year. I get that Cut is an offensive coach but that wasn't an issue. Focus on the issue which was the run DEFENSE.

I'm not sure whether or not you read the linked article; however, Coach Cutcliffe addressed defensive performance with this quote:

“We have to get off the field better on third down on defense. That’s significant. And force more punts. Force more turnovers, we need more tackles for losses. If you have more tackles for losses and sacks, that creates third downs that are friendly.”

When you take in all his comments collectively, my interpretation is Coach Cutcliffe believes there is room for improvement across the board. That is a very positive indicator from my perspective because the coaching staff is still hungry. If recent comments from Kelby Brown are indicative of team attitude, the team is still hungry.

Bob Green
07-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Coaching Staff preview video:

http://vimeo.com/99577051

Which contains this quote from Coach Cutcliffe:

I think we're on the verge of seeing some of the better years of Duke defense.

OldPhiKap
07-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Is there a link to our fb schedule anywhere on this new DBR platform?

Bob Green
07-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Is there a link to our fb schedule anywhere on this new DBR platform?

The best option is to go here:

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22666

loran16
07-22-2014, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure whether or not you read the linked article; however, Coach Cutcliffe addressed defensive performance with this quote:

When you take in all his comments collectively, my interpretation is Coach Cutcliffe believes there is room for improvement across the board. That is a very positive indicator from my perspective because the coaching staff is still hungry. If recent comments from Kelby Brown are indicative of team attitude, the team is still hungry.

I'd read it - I just think that Duke's D progressed to the point where it wasn't the entire D that needed improvement last year, just the line/runD. He called out one part of the O but didn't do the same on D, which is why I was disappointed.

Unfortunately we're starting very little new blood in those positions, so more of the same is very likely.

Duvall
07-23-2014, 11:15 AM
The lack of respect continues: Duke forces to settle for a mere four selections on the preseason All-ACC football team. (http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/2014-Preseason-All-ACC-Football-Team-Announced_07-23-14_yqpnwd)

Crowder, Tomlinson, Brown and Cash.

tux
07-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Looking forward to football season.

After reading through some of this thread (and a few of the linked articles), I can't help but feel that this season is really more pivotal than the last two. There's probably a handful of folks who think Duke caught lighting in a bottle last year (with the favorable schedule, with some close wins, etc.). Duke needs to have a successful season to prove that theory wrong and prevent losing some of the program's momentum.

My question to the board is what does "successful" mean this season given the trajectory of the past two seasons? Will being bowl eligible for a third year be enough, or does Duke need to win the coastal division again?

What if Duke goes 6-6, beats UNC, and wins their bowl game? (Would folks here be happy with that?) Three years ago, we all would have probably walked naked from Durham to Chapel Hill in a snowstorm for that outcome...

Listen to Quants
07-23-2014, 01:58 PM

After reading through some of this thread (and a few of the linked articles), I can't help but feel that this season is really more pivotal than the last two. There's probably a handful of folks who think Duke caught lighting in a bottle last year (with the favorable schedule, with some close wins, etc.). Duke needs to have a successful season to prove that theory wrong and prevent losing some of the program's momentum.

My question to the board is what does "successful" mean this season given the trajectory of the past two seasons? Will being bowl eligible for a third year be enough, or does Duke need to win the coastal division again?

What if Duke goes 6-6, beats UNC, and wins their bowl game? (Would folks here be happy with that?) Three years ago, we all would have probably walked naked from Durham to Chapel Hill in a snowstorm for that outcome...

If say, 4 of the losses but only 1 of the wins were the sort of close games that one little thing would have swung the other way? Then, yeah, that would be okay. I like to keep a lid on expectations. On the walk, however, I'd wait for the snowstorm that comes with the northerly from Chappa Hell when when Clemson's MBB team wins there. I'd have company.

roywhite
07-23-2014, 02:00 PM

I'm looking for 8 or 9 wins in the regular season and a bowl win. There is no opponent where we will be overwhelming underdogs. The non-conference games are all winnable, and a 4-4 or 5-3 conference record is my best guess.

6-6 with a win over UNC, and a bowl win would not be quite that, but would be acceptable IMO.

CameronBornAndBred
07-23-2014, 02:26 PM
The lack of respect continues: Duke forces to settle for a mere four selections on the preseason All-ACC football team. (http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/2014-Preseason-All-ACC-Football-Team-Announced_07-23-14_yqpnwd)

Crowder, Tomlinson, Brown and Cash.
I don't think it's a lack at all. Only one other team, FSU, had more players (9) named.

Duke has the second-most players on the team, which speaks to the program David Cutcliffe is building in Durham. The Blue Devils were not picked to win the ACC Coastal despite winning it last season and returning quarterback Anthony Boone (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/501046/anthony-boone). There is a constituency out there that still doesn’t believe Duke is the real deal and is bound for a letdown, but the media believes there is talent throughout the roster; the Blue Devils have a player at receiver, offensive line, linebacker and the secondary. Miami, which was picked to win the division, has two players on the list.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/72437/winston-leads-preseason-all-acc-team

Bob Green
07-23-2014, 03:26 PM

Defining success is a tough nut to crack. We are two seasons removed from back-to-back 3-9 records. We had a losing record in 17 straight regular seasons prior to going 6-6 in 2012. I believe placing a competitive team on the field is certainly a measure of success. I believe going 6-6 and qualifying for a third straight bowl game is certainly a measure of success. Those two benchmarks should be good enough for diehard Duke football fans who suffered long and hard. However, exceeding those measures with an 8-4 regular season is a reasonable expectation considering the experience and talent on the team. So to answer your question, within the "given the trajectory of the past two seasons" framework, I am optimistic the team can achieve a successful 8-4 regular season record.

To place a little different spin on my answer, I believe 8-4 in the regular season will be required to maintain the uptick in recruiting success we have experienced.

Duvall
07-23-2014, 03:27 PM
I don't think it's a lack at all. Only one other team, FSU, had more players (9) named.

I was kidding. The ACC media clearly expects a good season for Duke this fall.

CameronBornAndBred
07-23-2014, 04:53 PM
I was kidding. The ACC media clearly expects a good season for Duke this fall.
I was trying to decide if you were or not. Damn those hidden tags!

Olympic Fan
07-23-2014, 05:20 PM
I was trying to think of any Duke players who were unfairly snubbed.

I can see the case for Braxton Deaver, but he was third-team TE last year behind FSU's Nick O'Leary, so I can't quibble too much about giving the nod to O'Leary.

I think Devon Edwards was the best kickoff returner in the ACC and Jamison Crowder was right up there as a punt returner -- but UNC's Switzer led the nation in punt returns and since you could only pick one return specialist, he is not a bad pick.

Will Monday was the first-team all-ACC kicker two years ago, but VPI's Hughes had better numbers last year.

I guess the point is that we had four legit first-team guys going into the season. If there had been a preseason second team, I could see Deaver, Cofield ... maybe David Helton, maybe Will Monday, maybe Edwards as a return specialist. Now that I think about it, I think Boone would have had a good chance at second team QB.

Don't think they deserve preseason honors, but going forward, I think Lucas Patrick, Edwards at safety and our two young corners are all all-acc quality players.

We have a lot of All-ACC candidates ....

-jk
07-23-2014, 06:53 PM
We have a lot of All-ACC candidates ....

And there's a lot of ACC to spread around now, too...

-jk

johnb
07-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Getting 4 preseason all conference selections is awesome, as is the ongoing recruiting, as are the incoming freshmen (including the swarm of redshirted guys who are ready to rumble), as is our coaching staff. etc.

I am especially pleased that most of our starters are redshirted upperclassmen, which is one way to compensate for their not having been as highly recruited as some of the players on teams we're favored against. By the way, maybe it's obvious, but our academic retention and graduation means that our redshirted players not only get the extra year to develop but they are also almost certainly going to be available as seniors. I didn't go looking, but I assume one reason that some of the SEC teams (and schools of similar ilk, like Carolina) can't really be sure who is going to make it to junior year even with academic allowances...

peloton
07-23-2014, 07:41 PM
My thinking is along the lines of Bob's. It was just a few years ago that we struggled to win any games, even in the comfy confines of ol' Wallace Wade (could we schedule those pesky arachnids again by the way? :D) Realizing that we lost some personnel to graduation who were critical to the success of last year's team, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if we end up being 8-4. I'd be very pleased indeed if we go 9-3 but several guys are going to have to step up and play well for that to happen. Dave Harding, Perry Simmons, Brandon Connette, Ross Cockrell, Juwan Thompson, and others have left some big shoes to fill. In addition, our most punishing running back is not available this season (here's hoping that Jela does the necessary work and can return to the team). But, I sincerely believe that we have the personnel in place to make up for those losses but if we don't now, we should soon. That should be obvious to anyone who's been following the recruiting exploits of the staff recently. Whatever transpires though, it's going to be an exciting season - I can't wait to see it unfold.

DukeTrinity11
07-23-2014, 10:51 PM
I'm a little disappointed by the pessimism on this board about this team's prospects this Fall. We return perhaps the 2nd best quarterback, the best wide receiver (sorry Rashad Greene), the 2nd best TE, the 2nd best Offensive Line, one of the top 5 defensive backfields, and maybe the most comprehensively elite Specials Team unit (Monday, Crowder, Martin).

Dave Harding, Ross Cockrell, and Perry Simmons will be difficult losses to overcome from a leadership point but I'm confident that Kelby Brown and Jeremy Cash will be able to pick up the slack on this front. As far as Connette, I trust in Coach Cut that our backup QB Thomas Sirk can be just as effective as a phantom option and actually has a higher ceiling with regards to being a strong pocket passer.

I think any more than 2 losses here will be somewhat of a let down considering what Duke Football accomplished last year and who we're returning. Miami doesn't have the defense to stop us, Virginia Tech doesn't have the offense to keep score with us, and we should range from being clear favorites to heavy favorites against the the rest of the teams on our schedule sans UNC. Our Thursday Night primetime season closer vs. The Tarholes is going to be a real barn burner and could decide the Coastal, can't wait!!! :D

I would say there is also a slight chance that Duke could go 12-0 and run the table against this schedule, giving us the chance to earn a Playoff spot in a repeat of the ACC Championship game last year vs. the Seminoles. ;)

OldPhiKap
07-23-2014, 11:09 PM
I'm a little disappointed by the pessimism on this board about this team's prospects this Fall. We return perhaps the 2nd best quarterback, the best wide receiver (sorry Rashad Greene), the 2nd best TE, the 2nd best Offensive Line, one of the top 5 defensive backfields, and maybe the most comprehensively elite Specials Team unit (Monday, Crowder, Martin).

Dave Harding, Ross Cockrell, and Perry Simmons will be difficult losses to overcome from a leadership point but I'm confident that Kelby Brown and Jeremy Cash will be able to pick up the slack on this front. As far as Connette, I trust in Coach Cut that our backup QB Thomas Sirk can be just as effective as a phantom option and actually has a higher ceiling with regards to being a strong pocket passer.

I think any more than 2 losses here will be somewhat of a let down considering what Duke Football accomplished last year and who we're returning. Miami doesn't have the defense to stop us, Virginia Tech doesn't have the offense to keep score with us, and we should range from being clear favorites to heavy favorites against the the rest of the teams on our schedule sans UNC. Our Thursday Night primetime season closer vs. The Tar Heels is going to be a real barn burner and could decide the Coastal, can't wait!!! :D

I would say there is also a slight chance that Duke could go 12-0 and run the table against this schedule, giving us the chance to earn a Playoff spot in a repeat of the ACC Championship game last year vs. the Seminoles. ;)

Absolutely love the optimism, hope you are right.

I am not going to get in the record-guess game. We have a favorable schedule. We play in a tough conference. We have a lot more talent than many think. We got some lucky bounces last year too.

I start from the premise that we played for the conference championship last year, played great in a major bowl, and finished in the top 25. A repeat of that would be great, exceeding that would be a great year. But by the same token, I am not ready at this point to say what would be a "disappointment" before the first game.

We were very lucky with the low number of injuries we had last year, relatively speaking, for example. That is a huge variable.

peloton
07-24-2014, 01:04 AM
OldPhiKap, we were indeed fortunate last season in regard to injuries (especially compared to some other years in the not too distant past). Let's hope our good fortune continues. DukeTrinity11, I like your thinking believe me...optimism like your's can be contagious and we need more of it! You're not related to Ozzie, are you? :p But seriously...I'm typically an optimist not a pessimist in life, and that also applies to Duke football. I'll be the first to admit that we could conceivably go 12-0...I certainly hope we do! I think the senior leaders and Coach Cut kept the team focused last year after each win (or loss), not looking past the next opponent. If the team can adhere to that mindset I think we have a good chance to have a stellar season again.

Dev11
07-24-2014, 12:22 PM
My prediction is 10 regular season wins and at least a share of the division title. I think we would be happy with 7 wins and a bowl victory. I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't make it to a bowl game. As noted, we mostly lost key players from positions of good depth, like QB and DB. I expect the DB core will improve, as the majority of minutes last year were played by freshmen, some even true freshmen.

As noted, we shouldn't be heavy dogs in any games. GT, Miami, UNC, and VPI are all tough games. I think our two losses happen among those 4.

johnb
07-24-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm a little disappointed by the pessimism on this board...

I think any more than 2 losses here will be somewhat of a let down considering what Duke Football accomplished last year and who we're returning. Miami doesn't have the defense to stop us, Virginia Tech doesn't have the offense to keep score with us, and we should range from being clear favorites to heavy favorites against the the rest of the teams on our schedule sans UNC. ...
I would say there is also a slight chance that Duke could go 12-0 ...

It only matters if the players get overconfident or sluggish, but lots of things broke favorably for us last year, and I'd hate for our fans to get too privileged right now. It's one thing for us to be certain about the bball team being relatively successful (it helps to have better players than any team on our schedule, and it's often not close), but it's another to assume that Duke football will inevitably beat teams like Miami, Va Tech, and Carolina, teams which have historically beaten us, whose current players were often more highly rated than ours, and whose fans/players/coaches will likely be full of focus when confronted with a possible Duke repeat. Further, football is a tough sport to run the table. Witness how rarely it's done, even by the traditional powerhouses. I don't have a win total for what would be satisfactory, but continued competitiveness, a bowl game, and increasing tv availability would probably be enough. Beyond that, gravy.

Dev11
07-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Steve Wiseman is reporting that Duke and State are both interested in a "non-conference" football series. I'm happy about that, one less Tulane/Richmond/Memphis on the schedule.

uh_no
07-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Steve Wiseman is reporting that Duke and State are both interested in a "non-conference" football series. I'm happy about that, one less Tulane/Richmond/Memphis on the schedule.

that would be huge. duke is still absolutely trying to grow it's fanbase and attendance....and there is no better way to do that than playing state and UNC....every year.....it gets duke fans fired up, it gets NCSU fans fired up....and when they played last year, it was a spectacular atmosphere. Playing them every 8 years is unacceptable.

sagegrouse
07-24-2014, 01:07 PM
It only matters if the players get overconfident or sluggish, but lots of things broke favorably for us last year, and I'd hate for our fans to get too privileged right now. It's one thing for us to be certain about the bball team being relatively successful (it helps to have better players than any team on our schedule, and it's often not close), but it's another to assume that Duke football will inevitably beat teams like Miami, Va Tech, and Carolina, teams which have historically beaten us, whose current players were often more highly rated than ours, and whose fans/players/coaches will likely be full of focus when confronted with a possible Duke repeat. Further, football is a tough sport to run the table. Witness how rarely it's done, even by the traditional powerhouses. I don't have a win total for what would be satisfactory, but continued competitiveness, a bowl game, and increasing tv availability would probably be enough. Beyond that, gravy.

I agree, totally. Lessee.... Duke wins have totaled 3, 3, 6, and 10 over the past four seasons. I would LOVE to improve on last year, but I am taking things one game at a time. I would be truly disappointed if we don't go to a bowl, but I am not setting a ten-win threshold as anything but a target.

Bob Green
07-24-2014, 01:14 PM

Our schedule is full until 2018 so unless we are looking at cancelling a game, a Duke vs. State non-conference game is at least four years away.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/acc/duke-blue-devils.php

johnb
07-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Our schedule is full until 2018 so unless we are looking at cancelling a game, a Duke vs. State non-conference game is at least four years away.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/acc/duke-blue-devils.php

and NC State signed a deal this morning for a 2-year series with West Virginia that would end in 2019. http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nc-state-adds-football-series-with-west-virginia/13834515/

but yes, a series would be fun...

Bob Green
07-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC ·1h
Kevin White and Debbie Yow have discussed and both want to do it. Not likely to happen until after 2020 due to games already under contract

After 2020...

I like the idea!

Bob Green
07-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Laura Keeley is running a series of articles identifying the top 10 most important football players. Here is #8 Jeremy Cash:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/24/4026996/top-10-most-important-duke-football.html#

Previous articles identified player #10 as Takoby Cofield and #9 as Will Monday. This type lists usually create some interesting discussion.

Bob Green
07-25-2014, 01:44 PM
It didn't take Laura Keeley long to cheat in her Top 10 countdown:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/25/4029346/top-10-most-important-duke-football.html?sp=/99/103/

She list two players as #7: Shaquille Powell and Josh Snead.

Bob Green
07-25-2014, 07:03 PM
David Cutcliffe joins The David Glenn Show:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/cutcliffe-says-acc-is-biggest-nemesis-of-sec

An excellent audio interview! Cutcliffe is an absolute pleasure to listen to.

Bob Green
07-28-2014, 09:12 AM
I am not shocked, but I am slightly surprised the list Laura Keeley is putting together has not generated any discussion on this board. Oh well, here are numbers six and five in the countdown:

Six: DeVon Edwards http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/26/4031382/top-10-most-important-duke-football.html?sp=/99/103/119/269/

Five: Matt Skura http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/27/4033105/top-10-most-important-duke-football.html?sp=/99/103/119/269/

roywhite
07-28-2014, 09:47 AM
I am not shocked, but I am slightly surprised the list Laura Keeley is putting together has not generated any discussion on this board. Oh well, here are numbers six and five in the countdown:

Six: DeVon Edwards http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/26/4031382/top-10-most-important-duke-football.html?sp=/99/103/119/269/

Five: Matt Skura http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/27/4033105/top-10-most-important-duke-football.html?sp=/99/103/119/269/

Bob, thanks for posting these. I do read and enjoy them.

Love the big play ability that Edwards has; he ran track last spring and did quite well -- I could see why he wasn't being caught on his long returns. :)

The OL should be a strength IMO; Skura and Tomlinson are excellent, and the others aren't bad, either. Protection for the QB should be solid, and the running game should continue to develop, particularly if a young RB or two step up.

CameronBornAndBred
07-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Obviously, Boone and Crowder are going to be in the top three of her list. I am curious to see if Thomas Sirk makes it. While he has never played a down at Duke; he is going to be one of the most important guys on the team. As Connette proved last year when Boone went down for a few games, having a valid backup is huge. Sirk is going to see plenty of field time this year, regardless of if Anthony is healthy. Coach Cut has made that clear.
Will LK put him somewhere in her remaining 2 spots? We'll find out, but his importance definitely puts him in my top 10.

johnb
07-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Obviously, Boone and Crowder are going to be in the top three of her list. I am curious to see if Thomas Sirk makes it. While he has never played a down at Duke; he is going to be one of the most important guys on the team. As Connette proved last year when Boone went down for a few games, having a valid backup is huge. Sirk is going to see plenty of field time this year, regardless of if Anthony is healthy. Coach Cut has made that clear.
Will LK put him somewhere in her remaining 2 spots? We'll find out, but his importance definitely puts him in my top 10.

I hope that Sirk turns out not be a top 10 player for us this year. It would mean Boone is down with an injury (though I guess it could mean that Sirk is All World).

I've been enjoying the top 10 but didn't have much to add to it. I did appreciate the list's shift from really good players to players who aren't actually replaceable.

roywhite
07-28-2014, 10:42 AM
I hope that Sirk turns out not be a top 10 player for us this year. It would mean Boone is down with an injury (though I guess it could mean that Sirk is All World).I've been enjoying the top 10 but didn't have much to add to it. I did appreciate the list's shift from really good players to players who aren't actually replaceable.

Even if Boone has a healthy and very productive season, I think there is room for Sirk to make a significant contribution. I believe he'll get the opportunity to be a goal-line/short yardage specialist like Connette was, and that he can accomplish that -- he's faster than Connette, though perhaps doesn't have Connette's vision for where to find a crease or opening. Sirk can also throw in those situations.

If Boone is performing well, will Sirk get some series of downs that are not specifically short-yardage, etc.? Don't know for sure, but I think Cut and Scottie will use a second QB for both short yardage and an occasional change of pace.

PDDuke85
07-28-2014, 11:09 AM
If Boone is performing well, will Sirk get some series of downs that are not specifically short-yardage, etc.? Don't know for sure, but I think Cut and Scottie will use a second QB for both short yardage and an occasional change of pace.

not to mention lots of second half action in our many blow out victories.

dpslaw
07-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Don't know what Laura will do, but I'd think Ross Martin would have to be in any Duke top ten.

Bob Green
07-28-2014, 01:35 PM
With Laken Tomlinson checking in at number four:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/28/4035014/top-10-most-important-duke-football.html?sp=/99/103/119/

All three returning offensive line starters make the top 10 list. I'm guessing Kelby Brown, Jamison Crowder and Anthony Boone are the final three.

johnb
07-28-2014, 01:51 PM
So we have a home and away with Middle Tennessee State that starts in 2019.

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/2014/07/28/mtsu-duke-agree-series/13254223/

CameronBornAndBred
07-28-2014, 01:53 PM
With Laken Tomlinson checking in at number four:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/28/4035014/top-10-most-important-duke-football.html?sp=/99/103/119/

All three returning offensive line starters make the top 10 list. I'm guessing Kelby Brown, Jamison Crowder and Anthony Boone are the final three.
I am guessing you are correct. ESPN has two countdowns going (it's that time of year) leading into the season. One is the top 100 players in all of college football, and one is the top 25 in only the ACC. Duke will have representatives in both lists. (Don't know who or where yet in the top 100, but now we know that they will be in the top 80.) The ACC has 17 players in the top 100, 11 of them are from FSU.
The first Blue Devil to show up is Jeremy Cash, at #24 in the ACC.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/72550/top-acc-players-no-21-25
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/96258/espn-coms-top-100-players

OldPhiKap
07-28-2014, 07:47 PM
So we have a home and away with Middle Tennessee State that starts in 2019.

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/2014/07/28/mtsu-duke-agree-series/13254223/

Cut has lot of ties in Twnnessee. I hope this helps with recruiting, cannot hurt.

Bob Green
07-29-2014, 08:50 AM
ACC Sports Journal is counting down the top 50 players in the ACC starting with numbers 50 through 41:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/the-acc-top-50-numbers-50-41

46. Braxton Deaver
43. Anthony Boone

johnb
07-29-2014, 10:18 AM
Cut has lot of ties in Tennessee. I hope this helps with recruiting, cannot hurt.

I've wondered about the thought process of non-conference scheduling.

Money? I'd imagine MTSU will lead to a fairly average direct payout, both in regards to attendance and the likelihood of tv coverage. An article from two years ago ranked the MTSU stadium the 30th LEAST feared football venue in the country. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1208811-power-ranking-the-35-least-feared-college-football-stadiums/page/7

Likelihood of a win? While we seem to be ranked in the 20's/30, espn ranked mtsu in the 70's. So it's a likely victory against a fairly major opponent. Here's their ranking: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/06/24/middle-tennessee-blue-raiders-2014-countdown-preview-roster-depth-chart-schedule-football-four/11280059/

Does it help recruiting to play MTSU? Well, we have 4 Tennesseans on the 2014 roster, and nobody from TN committed from the 2015 hs class. I'd guess the victory would help (though there is never a guaranteed win, and we'll be a lot less favored than, say, Michigan was against Appalachian State a while back). It is a solidly southern place, and we are recruiting heavily from the southeast, so it might solidify our bona fides to some recruits, but, overall, I don't think it will help recruiting except insofar as it's a win.

Will it pack our own stadium? If we've won a lot of games between now and then, Wallace Wade should increasingly rock, but MTSU will not bring fans or rivalry like some other schools.

So, if we wanted a more visible opponent that is a more likely victory than MTSU (as in ranked below them in one arbitrarily chosen ranking), with visible meaning either nationally or by virtue of having our alums nearby, we could also consider: Vandy, U Conn, Arkansas, Rutgers, Kentucky, and SMU. Schools ranked below 70 that we already tend to schedule: Kansas, Troy, Army, and Tulane and teams from the ACC (Syracuse, Wake, NC State, BC, Va). http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/05/08/college-football-countdown-directory/8819991/

Of course, we also have to be acceptable to the other team, and, leaving aside a handful of teams like Alabama, Duke is unlikely to be seen by the other school as a near-certain win. And few schools will see us a a big pay-out or a draw for a national tv game.

One next step is for our fans to become a force for their football team to be proud of. With that, we might just be seen as a money winner for prospective opponents. To do that, we need wins, Bowl games, tv, and continued recruiting success. And as a stepping stone, I'd guess that MTSU fits that bill just fine.

Of course, maybe it's just that the MTSU AD is buddies with Coach Cut, and they agreed to the series while fishing, but I'd guess it's a little more involved.

johnb
07-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Today's schedule (courtesy of Adam Rowe:http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/David-Cutcliffe-going-through-the-ESPN-Car-Wash-Today-29912518)

Duke Head Coach David Cutcliffe takes his turn through the ESPN Car Wash today, appearing on a variety of shows throughout the day. Here's a tentative schedule:
10:45 AM Highly Questionable
11:00 AM ESPNU
11:15 AM RecruitingNation
11:40 AM Roundtable
12:20 PM SportsCenter
12:45 PM Paul Finebaum
1:20 PM ESPN.com Reporter
1:40 PM CFB Live
2:00 PM Digital Media
2:20 PM Brett McMurphy
2:30 PM Travis Haney/Brad Edwards
The only live appearance is expected to be at 12:20 on Sportscenter.

CameronBornAndBred
07-29-2014, 10:50 AM
When does practice start?

roywhite
07-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Today's schedule (courtesy of Adam Rowe:http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/David-Cutcliffe-going-through-the-ESPN-Car-Wash-Today-29912518)

Duke Head Coach David Cutcliffe takes his turn through the ESPN Car Wash today, appearing on a variety of shows throughout the day. Here's a tentative schedule:

Wow; what a schedule. Coach Cut will barely have time to do any sightseeing in Bristol, CT. ;)

Actually, that speaks well of Coach Cut and what he has done for Duke Football to gain that type of media attention. And he's a tremendous asset when he does appear on such shows --- extremely knowledgeable, passionate, and wise.

OldPhiKap
07-29-2014, 11:30 AM
Wow; what a schedule. Coach Cut will barely have time to do any sightseeing in Bristol, CT. ;)

Actually, that speaks well of Coach Cut and what he has done for Duke Football to gain that type of media attention. And he's a tremendous asset when he does appear on such shows --- extremely knowledgeable, passionate, and wise.

This.

I don't recall a lot of television shows clamoring to have Ted Roof on, to get his opinion of how the year will shape up. (No slight meant to Ted)

Cut has gravitas, and Duke has a chance to win the Coastal division again. I hope we picked up some fans in the Peach-fil-A Bowl, one of the most exciting games of the season.

Bob Green
07-29-2014, 11:50 AM
When does practice start?

Monday August 4th.

On the ACC Sports Journal top 50 players, David Helton checks in at number 33:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/the-acc-top-50-numbers-40-31

Laura Keeley names Kelby Brown number three in her top 10 most important Duke players:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/29/4036959/top-10-most-important-duke-football.html?sp=/99/103/119/269/

budwom
07-29-2014, 12:17 PM
I've wondered about the thought process of non-conference scheduling.

Money? I'd imagine MTSU will lead to a fairly average direct payout, both in regards to attendance and the likelihood of tv coverage. An article from two years ago ranked the MTSU stadium the 30th LEAST feared football venue in the country. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1208811-power-ranking-the-35-least-feared-college-football-stadiums/page/7

Likelihood of a win? While we seem to be ranked in the 20's/30, espn ranked mtsu in the 70's. So it's a likely victory against a fairly major opponent. Here's their ranking: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/06/24/middle-tennessee-blue-raiders-2014-countdown-preview-roster-depth-chart-schedule-football-four/11280059/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think you might be over-thinking this. As (justifiably) good as we feel about our football program, right now we're riding a streak of one (1) winning season in a row. With two bowls teams in a row, Cutcliffe has leveraged
that into some very impressive recruiting. But we're still not a lock to be a bowl team every year (though we should be this year, barring major injuries).

Kevin White and Cut are pretty smart....I feel pretty confident that the strategy for the time being is to schedule four very winnable games per year in our out of conference schedule, so that winning three or
four conference games gets us to a bowl. Nothing could hurt our momentum more than going back to losing seasons.

I could definitely see a time in the next couple years where we feel our talent level is such where we start scheduling a more demanding OOC schedule...as it stands now, we have Northwestern coming up soon.....
But as it stands now, I think having a relatively light OOC schedule maximizes our chances of getting to bowls, of getting the extra practice that comes with that, and of getting increased exposure.

(We've tried the "money route" before, such as when we played Alabama...that primarily got us a bunch of injuries and a lot of decreased confidence.)

CameronBornAndBred
07-29-2014, 12:22 PM
To be fair, we won't be playing our first game with them until 2019, five years away. Five years ago, Duke was also considered a likely victory by teams booking us. Plus, the game is at their place, which adds to difficulty.

CameronBornAndBred
07-29-2014, 12:27 PM
Kelby Brown comes in at #20 on the top 25 ACC list. I am very surprised to see his name this early.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/72530/top-acc-players-nos-20-16

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-29-2014, 12:41 PM

How about those coaches!!!! Coach K and Coach Cutcliffe on the same Sports Center program within a few minutes of each other. ;)

Mal
07-29-2014, 01:43 PM
ACC Sports Journal is counting down the top 50 players in the ACC starting with numbers 50 through 41:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/the-acc-top-50-numbers-50-41

46. Braxton Deaver
43. Anthony Boone

43?!?! I know he struggled in a couple early games last year, but by the end of the season Boone was playing as well as any QB in the conference save Winston and Boyd, who's gone. He was so clutch in the bowl game (until the last couple possessions, I guess), all of the Notre Dame fans with whom I was watching were saying "I wish we had a quarterback like that kid." 43. Pshaw! He's likely to be the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the conference this year, which to me screams Top 20 at worst on a list like this. I hope Anthony puts that up in his locker.

Duvall
07-29-2014, 02:02 PM
43?!?! I know he struggled in a couple early games last year, but by the end of the season Boone was playing as well as any QB in the conference save Winston and Boyd, who's gone. He was so clutch in the bowl game (until the last couple possessions, I guess), all of the Notre Dame fans with whom I was watching were saying "I wish we had a quarterback like that kid." 43. Pshaw! He's likely to be the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the conference this year, which to me screams Top 20 at worst on a list like this. I hope Anthony puts that up in his locker.

They've already said that Boone is the 2nd-rated quarterback on the list. (http://www.accsports.com/articles/the-acc-top-50-numbers-50-41)

Comparing players across positions is tough, anyway.

Bob Green
07-29-2014, 02:42 PM

These type lists are driven by statistics and Boone did not set the World on fire statistically. For starters, he missed three games, which hurt his numbers plus he split time with Connette especially in the red zone. Finally, 13 touchdowns against 13 interceptions had to hurt his ranking. He really needs to cut down on interceptions as a senior.

I agree with you he has a solid chance to be the 2nd best QB in the ACC so I'm optimistic he will have a very solid senior season. And as far as statistics go he is 10-2 as a starter and that is the most important statistic.

Mal
07-29-2014, 03:19 PM
These type lists are driven by statistics and Boone did not set the World on fire statistically.

True enough, but they actually acknowledge Connette won't be stealing TD's and yards from him this year, so clearly part of this is based on expectations, too. There's no point in publishing a list of "top 50 seasons by players in the ACC last season who didn't subsequently graduate." They're trying to sell this season, and Boone's going to be getting plenty of ink in the coming months. Part of my point was that, despite the stated premise of listing "best" and comparing across all positions, with the importance and hype surrounding quarterbacks circa 2014, you'd expect to see a list like this top-heavy with them.

In any event, I would have figured a senior QB coming off a 400+ yard bowl game against a top 20 team, and having shed a goal line platoon system, would not be in the mid-40's in a ranking of players from a not SEC/Pac conference, I guess. Whatever. I still hope Boone sees stuff like this and thinks to himself "Seriously, they think some OG at UNC is better than me? I better prove 'em all wrong."

CameronBornAndBred
07-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Jamison Crowder checks in at #65 on ESPN's top 100.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11227907/#cfbrank-70-61-college-football-top-100-players

Bob Green
07-29-2014, 04:33 PM
In any event, I would have figured a senior QB coming off a 400+ yard bowl game against a top 20 team, and having shed a goal line platoon system, would not be in the mid-40's in a ranking of players from a not SEC/Pac conference, I guess. Whatever.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying. I was just offering up a possible explanation of their thinking. And you are spot on that this is excellent bulletin board material for Boone to use as motivation to show them they're wrong.

Bob Green
07-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Here is a link to a Thomas Sirk article:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209573078&DB_OEM_ID=4200

At our leadership meeting we talked about ‘All in, all the time’ as our motto for this year. Whether you are the best in any area, you can always go all in, all the time, on the field, in the classroom. I just want to be all in all the time. I am going to push myself to be better than the guy beside me in the weight room, in conditioning, in everything I do. That’s just the standard I hold myself to each and every day.

There is a laundry list of reasons why I am so looking forward to the 2014 season, with the opportunity to see Thomas Sirk perform on the field being one of them. He is going to push his teammates to be their best all the time.

roywhite
07-29-2014, 10:57 PM
UNC coach shows off 6-pack abs. NC State and Duke respond with *other* 6-packs (http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/7/28/5945925/acc-fitness-advice)

Hah.

I prefer Coach Cut's version.

wilson
07-30-2014, 01:24 AM
UNC coach shows off 6-pack abs. NC State and Duke respond with *other* 6-packs (http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/7/28/5945925/acc-fitness-advice)

Hah.

I prefer Coach Cut's version.Ozzie loves Coach Cut's version.
Mods, relocate to "Ymm, Beer" if necessary...

budwom
07-30-2014, 08:40 AM
True enough, but they actually acknowledge Connette won't be stealing TD's and yards from him this year, so clearly part of this is based on expectations, too. There's no point in publishing a list of "top 50 seasons by players in the ACC last season who didn't subsequently graduate." They're trying to sell this season, and Boone's going to be getting plenty of ink in the coming months. Part of my point was that, despite the stated premise of listing "best" and comparing across all positions, with the importance and hype surrounding quarterbacks circa 2014, you'd expect to see a list like this top-heavy with them.

In any event, I would have figured a senior QB coming off a 400+ yard bowl game against a top 20 team, and having shed a goal line platoon system, would not be in the mid-40's in a ranking of players from a not SEC/Pac conference, I guess. Whatever. I still hope Boone sees stuff like this and thinks to himself "Seriously, they think some OG at UNC is better than me? I better prove 'em all wrong."

I'm not sure I get your reference correctly, Mal, but if you're saying we won't be using another QB in short yardage situations this year, Cut disagrees with you. He had a pretty long interview
on ESPN yesterday, and he said we'd definitely be going with the short yardage package.....said that Sirk, Boehme and Pierre are all strong runners and he looked forward to
that competition....(this all apropos to a question about how much we'd miss Connette).

CameronBornAndBred
07-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Ozzie loves Coach Cut's version.
Mods, relocate to "Ymm, Beer" if necessary...
Ozzie has vastly improved his tastes in beer the last couple seasons. :p

jimsumner
07-30-2014, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure I get your reference correctly, Mal, but if you're saying we won't be using another QB in short yardage situations this year, Cut disagrees with you. He had a pretty long interview
on ESPN yesterday, and he said we'd definitely be going with the short yardage package.....said that Sirk, Boehme and Pierre are all strong runners and he looked forward to
that competition....(this all apropos to a question about how much we'd miss Connette).

Cut said the same thing at the ACC Media event last week. Said that Connette was gone but the Connette package would still be around and that Boone would not be the Connette.

budwom
07-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Quite a saga, the Connette Package. Like many others, I wasn't too keen on it several years ago. While it worked against lesser teams, it became
pretty predictable against better foes. However, as our offensive line progressed from mediocrity to excellence, The Package was far more effective.
It was obviously pretty outstanding last year.

Our line should be very strong this year. Nonetheless, I do have a bit of trepidation since I think your QB has to be at least
a threat to throw the ball down at the goal line, and Sirk/Pierre/Boehme have combined for zero college passes thus far.

The most interesting thing for me to watch during the Elon game is which backup QBs play. I'd like to think we'd see
at least one of them before halftime, even in "non Package" situations.

Olympic Fan
07-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Got to understand there are three QB roles:

(1) Starting quarterback (Boone has this locked up)

(2) Backup QB (up for grabs)

(3) Short-yardage QB (could be the same as No. 2)

A year ago, Cut planned to go into the season with Boone as the starter, Sirk as the backup and Connette as the short-yardage specialist. Obviously, when Sirk was hurt, Connette took over both (2) and (3) .... and when Boone was hurt at Memphis, he handled all three roles (for three games, he took ever snap at QB).

I would feel very confident about (2) if I could be assured that Sirk was 100 percent physically. He looked okay last spring, but he was not the explosive runner he was before his injury. I'm not sure he'll be as powerful in short yardage as Connette was -- but with 4.5 speed (before the injury) he was much more likely to turn in a big play.

I think Boehme is a bit more powerful .... Pierre, I know only by reputation which is that of a top-flight dual threat QB.

If I had to guess (and it's only a guess), I think it works out this way:

Boone -- starter
Sirk -- backup
Boehme -- short yardage QB
Pierre -- redshirt

uh_no
07-30-2014, 12:55 PM
Quite a saga, the Connette Package. Like many others, I wasn't too keen on it several years ago. While it worked against lesser teams, it became
pretty predictable against better foes. However, as our offensive line progressed from mediocrity to excellence, The Package was far more effective.
It was obviously pretty outstanding last year.

Our line should be very strong this year. Nonetheless, I do have a bit of trepidation since I think your QB has to be at least
a threat to throw the ball down at the goal line, and Sirk/Pierre/Boehme have combined for zero college passes thus far.

The most interesting thing for me to watch during the Elon game is which backup QBs play. I'd like to think we'd see
at least one of them before halftime, even in "non Package" situations.

my favorite stat from last year was that we had a 100% conversion rate on 1st and goal situations during the regular season.

Bob Green
07-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Laken Tomlinson checks in at number 24 on the ACC Sports Journal's Top 50 Players list:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/the-acc-top-50-numbers-30-21

Bob Green
07-31-2014, 05:18 AM
Laura Keeley ranks Jamison Crowder number two on her top 10 list:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/30/4040434/top-10-most-important-duke-football.html?sp=/99/103/119/269/

Duvall
07-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Coaches poll is out. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/07/31/college-football-amway-coaches-poll-top-25-capsules/13376765/)

Appropriately enough, the Amway-sponsored poll found a spot for UNC. FSU #1, Clemson at #16.

Olympic Fan
07-31-2014, 12:17 PM
Duke is 34th ... which is about where I would expect.

The Devils are third in the Coastal Division by this poll -- UNC at No. 23 nationally, Miami at 33rd and Duke at 34th.

That's not surprising -- except for the continuous national love for a UNC program that has done nothing since Mack Brown left. When you think about where we were in the recent past -- getting one sympathy vote from Steve Spurrier every year -- 34th nationally is not that bad.

CameronBornAndBred
07-31-2014, 05:02 PM
I am completely fine with our number. It is the first time in recent memory that we will be going into the pre-season even listed. It's a spot this team earned, and it will be fun to watch them move up.

CameronBornAndBred
07-31-2014, 06:11 PM
Duke is 34th ... which is about where I would expect.

Not that it is a big difference, just a correction, we are 35th.

While the Heels got actually ranked, it was not good news across the board in Chapel Hill today. (Sniffle.)
Article from Greg Barnes listing the Heels that won't be on the field this year. A total of 15 scholarship players with eligibility remaining are not returning.
Side note, who was advising Darius Lipford? He must have been facing academic issues too.
http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1427796.html

Olympic Fan
07-31-2014, 06:24 PM
Not that it is a big difference, just a correction, we are 35th.

While the Heels got actually ranked, it was not good news across the board in Chapel Hill today. (Sniffle.)
Article from Greg Barnes listing the Heels that won't be on the field this year. A total of 15 scholarship players with eligibility remaining are not returning.
Side note, who was advising Darius Lipford? He must have been facing academic issues too.
http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1427796.html

I see this as evidence that UNC is serious about clearing up their act in Chapel Hill. Butch Davis never loses a player he wants to academic issues (which is why several of these guys are out).

However, Butch did run a waiver wire system -- forcing out kids that didn't make the grade. I have no idea if that's still going on or not.

Bob Green
07-31-2014, 07:53 PM
At the ACC Sports Journal, Jeremy Cash is #19 and Kelby Brown is #12:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/the-acc-top-50-numbers-20-11

Our linebackers and secondary are very strong! If the defensive line steps up and plays solid football, our defense has the potential to be very good this coming season.

Over at the N&O, Laura Keeley has named Anthony Boone the most important player on the team:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/31/4042191/top-10-most-important-duke-football.html?sp=/99/103/119/269/

OldPhiKap
07-31-2014, 08:29 PM
At the ACC Sports Journal, Jeremy Cash is #19 and Kelby Brown is #12:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/the-acc-top-50-numbers-20-11

Our linebackers and secondary are very strong! If the defensive line steps up and plays solid football, our defense has the potential to be very good this coming season.

Over at the N&O, Laura Keeley has named Anthony Boone the most important player on the team:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/31/4042191/top-10-most-important-duke-football.html?sp=/99/103/119/269/

Looking for improvement on the D line, which will hopefully let the secondary be opportunist on second/third and long.

CameronBornAndBred
08-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Jamison Crowder comes it at # 5 on the ACC top 25.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/72536/top-acc-players-no-5-1

Bob Green
08-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Jamison Crowder comes it at # 5 on the ACC top 25.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/72536/top-acc-players-no-5-1

Crowder is #4 at the ACC Sports Journal:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/the-acc-top-50

So seven of the Top 50 players in the ACC are from Duke: #46 Braxton Deaver, #43 Anthony Boone, #33 David Helton, #24 Laken Tomlinson, #19 Jeremy Cash, #12 Kelby Brown and #4 Jamison Crowder.

29 Days!

OldPhiKap
08-01-2014, 05:08 PM
So seven of the Top 50 players in the ACC are from Duke.

Let that sink in for a minute. And, recruiting is still trending higher.

Good kids, good coach, good program. Go Duke!

CameronBornAndBred
08-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Only two special teams guys, both kickers, made the list. Neither are from Duke. That is my one disagreement. (Not that Duke didn't get a kicker in there, but that none made anything other than honorable mention.)

OldPhiKap
08-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Four Weeks to Go !!!!

peloton
08-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Speaking of Jamison Crowder, according to the N & O the Havoline Football Saturdays in the South program today will feature "the Crowder family at their home in Monroe, highlighting the special bond between Jamison and his brother, Jamaris." It airs today at 1 pm on WTVD.

peloton
08-02-2014, 10:56 AM
OldPhiKap, I'm with you...I can't wait until football to see how our program evolves. Although I'm certainly excited to have Anthony back leading us, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Sirk brings to the table. Cutcliffe obviously saw some special qualities/talents in him to bring him onboard...especially when you consider he's never played a full season at QB. If the defensive line can hold their own this season (and I believe they will), I'd have to say Duke will once again be a force to be reckoned with. I hope that we have a great crowd for the home opener against Elon - the program has earned it.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Almost that special time of year, when Saturdays are chock full of fun. Here's to hoping Duke gives us another wonderful season to remember and that we can build off of last year.

Bob Green
08-02-2014, 02:14 PM
There are lots of preview articles popping up all over the Internet including this one on the receivers from a couple of days ago:

http://duke.247sports.com/Article/Jamison-Crowder-and-Braxton-Deaver-lead-the-way-for-Duke-29597270

Overall, I didn't find this one to be all that good; however, I very much enjoyed the manner in which the article wrapped it all up:

It's unfair to simply put Crowder down as the key player. We all know his importance. Let's move on. The real difference maker here, the player that can push the receiving corp to the next level is Isaac Blakeney.

The author hits the nail on the head in my opinion. Receiver performance this season isn't about Crowder and Deaver, it is a given they will be very good. The question is who steps up opposite Crowder and forces defenses to pay attention. Will it be Blakeney? Or will it be Max McCaffrey? Or maybe it will be one the freshmen such as Trevon Lee.

The point is it needs to be someone. Duke needs a productive receiver lined up on the opposite side of the field from Crowder in order to spread defenses thin and exploit match-ups.

peloton
08-02-2014, 03:34 PM
The question is who steps up opposite Crowder and forces defenses to pay attention. Will it be Blakeney? Or will it be Max McCaffrey? Or maybe it will be one the freshmen such as Trevon Lee.

Bob, as I tend to be an ozziemist and not a pessimist in life, I'm going to answer by saying that I believe numbers 17, 87, and 84 will all shall we say, "get the attention of opposing defenses" at various times this coming season. Although we've yet to see Trevon play of course, we've seen both Issac and Max look very good at times. With more passes thrown their way I think they're going to improve even more and make an opponent's secondary regret not focusing enough on stopping our other receivers. But let's face it...you almost have to focus on limiting the effectiveness of a playmaker such as Jamison Crowder. I'm just thankful he's a Blue Devil and that we don't have to defend him!

OldPhiKap
08-02-2014, 03:46 PM
The best thing for our passing game is a good running game. 2nd and 5 is a world different than 2nd and 9.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-02-2014, 04:14 PM
There are lots of preview articles popping up all over the Internet including this one on the receivers from a couple of days ago:

http://duke.247sports.com/Article/Jamison-Crowder-and-Braxton-Deaver-lead-the-way-for-Duke-29597270

Overall, I didn't find this one to be all that good; however, I very much enjoyed the manner in which the article wrapped it all up:

The author hits the nail on the head in my opinion. Receiver performance this season isn't about Crowder and Deaver, it is a given they will be very good. The question is who steps up opposite Crowder and forces defenses to pay attention. Will it be Blakeney? Or will it be Max McCaffrey? Or maybe it will be one the freshmen such as Trevon Lee.

The point is it needs to be someone. Duke needs a productive receiver lined up on the opposite side of the field from Crowder in order to spread defenses thin and exploit match-ups.
There's another one we don't want to overlook. He came in having had some spectacular performances and catches in high school, red shirted the first year. Has lots of potential, the prototype of Jimmy Graham... Erich Schneider.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-02-2014, 04:16 PM
The best thing for our passing game is a good running game. 2nd and 5 is a world different than 2nd and 9.

You've been talking to Coach Cutcliffe, haven't you? He's been saying that pretty frequently of late and the running backs seem to gearing up to do just that.

Acymetric
08-02-2014, 06:20 PM
I am so pumped for this season...can't help but watch the replay of the Chick fil a Bowl!

CameronBornAndBred
08-02-2014, 07:00 PM
I am so pumped for this season...can't help but watch the replay of the Chick fil a Bowl!
1st half...

dpslaw
08-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Here's the N&O's preseason round-table. Laura Keeley closes the discussion with the assertion that Cut will win an ACC championship during his tenure:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/08/02/4047145/college-football-roundtable-no.html?sp=/99/103/

Olympic Fan
08-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Will you permit me a brief rant?

I came across this while trying to figure out why a UNC team that hasn't accomplished anything in recent years (UNC was last ranked in the final AP poll in 1997 ... last won a title of any kind in 1980) should be getting so much love. Yes, they finished fairly strong last year, but they did end the regular season with a loss to a Duke team that returns just as much (or more) proven starters than the Heels. Why should UNC be projected higher going into the season?

Well, I got a partial answer from one reporter I heard on a radio show. He claimed that UNC has more starters returning in the ACC than anybody in the ACC. That didn't sound right, but when I got my official ACC Football Yearbook (published by the conference), I saw their list of returning starters. And, indeed, they have UNC with 17 returning starters -- which is actually tied with Virginia and Syracuse for the most in the league. Duke is at 16 returning starters, along with NC State.

Then I looked more closely at the ACC's list of UNC starters.

They list UNC with nine offensive starters returning ... and three offensive starters lost. Isn't that 12 starters from 2013?

I was once told my Mike Finn, the ACC's associate commissioner for football that the standard for a returning starter is to start more than half of your team's games.

Well, UNC lost TE Eric Ebron (11 starts), OT James Hurst (13 starts) and C Russell Bodine (13 starts).

To get to nine returning starters, the ACC counts three wide receivers, a TE (!), a running back and a quarterback -- that's six non-interior line starters, which is possible -- but not when you add Ebron.

And even some of those are shaky -- for instance QB Marquise Williams started six games ... the last five and Virginia Tech earlier. But graduated senior Bryan Renner started seven games. So by the ACC standard, Williams should not be counted as a returning starter.

TB TJ Logan started five games, yet is counted a returning starter.

In all, UNC's nine returning starters on offense started a combined total of 85 games last season. By contrast, Duke's eight returning offensive starters started 103 games. I know Duke played one more game (the ACC title game), but even if you subtract the eight starts that gave our returning starters, t6hat's still a 95-85 edge in starts.

Defensively, the ACC gets UNC right -- seven returning starters, four lost. UNC does return two kicking specialists.

But to get to 17 returning starters for UNC, you have to jump through some amazing mathematical hoops -- the kind we used to call Curry Math ... or the kind Jay Bilas once invoked when talking about Harrison Barnes terrible shooting percentage ("if he just made two more shots a game ...")

Don't get me wrong, UNC has a chance to be good ... as do Virginia Tech, Miami and Pitt -- and Duke. But why is UNC ranked when none of those teams are?

I would argue that they lost more talent off last year's team than Duke -- we had one player drafted by the NFL (Cockrell in the 4th round). They had five players drafted, including the first ACC player taken in the draft -- No. 10 pick Eric Ebron (plus DT Kareem Martin in the third round; Bodine and Tre Boston in the fourth round; Jabari Price in the seventh).

I could go over Duke's roster and insert players with starting experience into the gaps. We lost Perry Simmons at OT? Well, Lucas Patrick started for him in the bowl game. Shouldn't he be a returning starter? We lost three DL? But we have returning five defensive linemen returning with starting experience. We lost Braxton at WR? Well, Blakeney started five games last season (as many as UNC RB Logan).

If I used UNC math, I could argue that Duke has 21 or 22 returning starters.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

Olympic Fan
08-03-2014, 02:34 PM
A couple of more points that came to me too late to edit into the previous post:

-- The UNC math is even more funky than I explained. According to the ACC, UNC has 17 starters retuning -- nine on offense, seven on defense and two specialists (kickers and punters -- which are included in everybody's total -- return specialists aren't counted as returning starters. But that's 18, not 17 returning starters. How the ACC translates 18 into 17, I don't know.

-- When I talked about what UNC lost vs. what Duke lost, I mentioned the NFL draft. I should have cited the All-ACC voting -- UNC lost three first team All-ACC players, a second-teamer and two honorable mentions; Duke lost one first-team All-ACC player, one second teamer, one third teamer and no honorable mentions. UNC returns one first-team All-ACC (return specialist Ryan Switzer), and two honorable mentions (WR Quin Davis and PT Tommy Hibbard); Duke returns three first-teamers (WR Jamison Crowder, LB Kelby Brown, S Jeremy Cash), two second-teamers (OG Laken Tomlinson, RS Jamison Crowder) and two third teamers 9TE Braxton Deaver and RS Devonte Edwards) and one honorable mention (PK Russ Martin). This doesn;t count PT Will Monday, who was first team in 2012.

Duke returns MUCH more proven talent of a team that was better than UNC a year ago.

I guess my rant wasn't over.

PS I can't believe I referred to Perry Simmons as Perry Williams again ... I'm always doing that (I used to know a Perry Williams ... It's kind of like calling Brian Zoubek Greg Zouvek. That's not an excuse ... mea culpa

devildeac
08-03-2014, 03:29 PM
A couple of more points that came to me too late to edit into the previous post:

-- The UNC math is even more funky than I explained. According to the ACC, UNC has 17 starters retuning -- nine on offense, seven on defense and two specialists (kickers and punters -- which are included in everybody's total -- return specialists aren't counted as returning starters. But that's 18, not 17 returning starters. How the ACC translates 18 into 17, I don't know.

-- When I talked about what UNC lost vs. what Duke lost, I mentioned the NFL draft. I should have cited the All-ACC voting -- UNC lost three first team All-ACC players, a second-teamer and two honorable mentions; Duke lost one first-team All-ACC player, one second teamer, one third teamer and no honorable mentions. UNC returns one first-team All-ACC (return specialist Ryan Switzer), and two honorable mentions (WR Quin Davis and PT Tommy Hibbard); Duke returns three first-teamers (WR Jamison Crowder, LB Kelby Brown, S Jeremy Cash), two second-teamers (OG Laken Tomlinson, RS Jamison Crowder) and two third teamers 9TE Braxton Deaver and RS Devonte Edwards) and one honorable mention (PK Russ Martin). This doesn;t count PT Will Monday, who was first team in 2012.

Duke returns MUCH more proven talent of a team that was better than UNC a year ago.

PS I can't believe I referred to Perry Simmons as Perry Williams again ... I'm always doing that (I used to know a Perry Williams ... It's kind of like calling Brian Zoubek Greg Zouvek. That's not an excuse ... mea culpa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakuna_matata

devildeac
08-03-2014, 03:32 PM

Or, for those of us who are more musically inclined:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abjAqvdGZgM

nyesq83
08-04-2014, 01:07 AM
Ross Martin, isn't it?

Dev11
08-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Happy first day of camp! Now everybody stay healthy and do your homework, so we can play 14 games again this season (15? Ok, relax).

Olympic Fan
08-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Cut said today that the team was the best physical shape he's every seen -- the early spring, long off-season for workouts has produced a bigger, stronger team than ever before.

A few minor health issues: Kyler Brown recently sprained his ankle and will be hobbled a couple of days. Nothing long tem; Johnathan Lloyd and Dan Bielenson are both coming off surgery and will be out indefinitely.

Plus, Braxton Deaver has some off-the-field issues that he's got to take care of for Cut before he rejoins the team. He'll practice for the first time Saturday (which is also the first day in pads).

budwom
08-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Cut said today that the team was the best physical shape he's every seen -- the early spring, long off-season for workouts has produced a bigger, stronger team than ever before.

A few minor health issues: Kyler Brown recently sprained his ankle and will be hobbled a couple of days. Nothing long tem; Johnathan Lloyd and Dan Bielenson are both coming off surgery and will be out indefinitely.

Plus, Braxton Deaver has some off-the-field issues that he's got to take care of for Cut before he rejoins the team. He'll practice for the first time Saturday (which is also the first day in pads).

Sorry about Lloyd...he's a freshman potentially good enough to play this year if healthy. Hopefully a few true frosh step up.
Could definitely use Wilson at RB (fully expect to see him)...and we could use another reliable receiver or two. Lee? Taylor?
I'm hoping...

Olympic Fan
08-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Sorry about Lloyd...he's a freshman potentially good enough to play this year if healthy. Hopefully a few true frosh step up.
Could definitely use Wilson at RB (fully expect to see him)...and we could use another reliable receiver or two. Lee? Taylor?
I'm hoping...

Cut mentioned Lee and Taylor as possibilities in the WR rotation ... along with Shaun Wilson at RB. He's also going to give his two freshmen corners a long look. He said there is a very good chance that a freshman could crack the DL rotation (he didn't mention names, but Dez Johnson brought up Cerenord).

And there are a couple of returning WRs with potential. Ryan Smith is small, but has spectacular quickness -- he was in the rotation early last year before he got hurt. And Anthony Nash still has the greatest straight-away speed on the team. If he's filled out his 6-3 frame a bit, he can be a factor. Quay Chambers is definitely a factor. Of course, Johnnel Barnes is poised to have a breakout year -- if he stays healthy, I think he will be our No. 2 receiver.

budwom
08-04-2014, 02:58 PM
I agree, all those guys showed promise, but since none has broken thru (yet) I'd sure welcome contributions
from frosh. We can't let teams focus only on Crowder....he's great, but we need a few more consistent threats.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Even the most optimistic among us likely wouldn't have guessed that SI would have an article listing Duke as a dark horse for the first ever college football playoff, but here it is. (http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/08/04/college-football-playoff-sleepers-florida-iowa)

Duvall
08-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Even the most optimistic among us likely wouldn't have guessed that SI would have an article listing Duke as a dark horse for the first ever college football playoff, but here it is. (http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/08/04/college-football-playoff-sleepers-florida-iowa)

I guess that's good, but Duke's schedule would probably keep them out of the playoff even at 13-0. Which is fine, because 13-0 is really unlikely.

Bob Green
08-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Cut mentioned Lee and Taylor as possibilities in the WR rotation ... along with Shaun Wilson at RB. He's also going to give his two freshmen corners a long look. He said there is a very good chance that a freshman could crack the DL rotation (he didn't mention names, but Dez Johnson brought up Cerenord).

Not so long ago freshmen were looked at for immediate playing time out of necessity, now freshmen are being looked at for immediate playing time because they are good enough. That's a significant paradigm shift.

FerryFor50
08-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Duke is getting respect as a sleeper for the BCS playoffs:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/08/04/college-football-playoff-sleepers-florida-iowa