PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Quin to Coach Utah Jazz!

DallasDevil
05-30-2014, 03:59 PM
It looks like Quin Snyder may be getting closer to his first NBA head coaching job: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865604203/Sources-Quin-Snyder-emerging-as-a-lead-candidate-for-Utah-Jazz-coaching-job.html

Billy Dat
05-30-2014, 04:10 PM
It looks like Quin Snyder may be getting closer to his first NBA head coaching job: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865604203/Sources-Quin-Snyder-emerging-as-a-lead-candidate-for-Utah-Jazz-coaching-job.html

Great find, and I hope he gets the gig.

Here's the best reader comment under the article:

"Never heard of him but he looks grumpy"

cspan37421
05-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Deseret article says he earned a doctoral degree at Duke ... really? I heard about the MBA but not the doctoral degree.

Would Jazz players have to refer to him as Dr. Quin (Medicine Man)?

sagegrouse
05-30-2014, 09:51 PM
Deseret article says he earned a doctoral degree at Duke ... really? I heard about the MBA but not the doctoral degree.

Would Jazz players have to refer to him as Dr. Quin (Medicine Man)?

Actually, a Juris Doctoris at the same time as his MBA.

cspan37421
05-31-2014, 07:59 AM
Ah, yes - technically a doctorate, but seldom what I think of as a doctorate (since holders of it do not go by Dr. So-and-So).

Didn't Bilas do the same thing, or did he just get his JD?

Speaking of JD, to me, having entered Duke in fall 1985, there is only one true JD, and it's not Juris Doctor or Jordan Davidson. :D

PS: Mods - is it possible to change the thread title? When this one got resurrected I thought to myself, "I didn't even know Quin was with the Lakers - I thought he was with the Hawks!" Perhaps it should just be more generic/timeless, like "Quin Snyder, coach" or something of that nature.

miramar
05-31-2014, 09:58 AM
Ah, yes - technically a doctorate, but seldom what I think of as a doctorate (since holders of it do not go by Dr. So-and-So).

I think the reason that American attorneys don't use the title doctor (as they do in some foreign countries) is that until relatively recently a law degree was a bachelor of laws, which was pretty bizarre after seven years of study. It may also be that in many countries lawyers can't earn what their American counterparts do, but the title of doctor at least confers some social standing.

According to this link, most schools did not change from the LL.B. to the J.D. until the 1960's. The link also says that Harvard gave all of its graduates the J.D. retroactively, but I think that Duke did things differently. By coincidence, when I was in high school in the late sixties and early seventies (oh, Lord) I knew a guy who went to Duke law and he was complaining that the law school offered to give him the J.D. in exchange for a cash contribution. He was a partner at a major law firm in LA and he was indignant so he refused.

http://asklib.law.harvard.edu/a.php?qid=37309

Reilly
05-31-2014, 10:02 AM
... is it possible to change the thread title? ... Perhaps it should just be more generic/timeless, like "Quin Snyder, coach" or something of that nature.

Since it concerns Quin's comings and goings, how about: "when Quin ... gets here everybody's gonna jump for joy"

BD80
05-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Since it concerns Quin's comings and goings, how about: "when Quin ... gets here everybody's gonna jump for joy"

What happens if Joy leaves?

DU82
06-01-2014, 10:32 PM

She left last season for Ohio State.

Dukehky
06-01-2014, 10:40 PM

I was building ships and boats, building monuments, and jotting down notes when I happened to stumble upon this thread. I'd be shocked if he got this job, but here's to hoping!

Reilly
06-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Let's say he gets the job and wins big. I bet they'd build a statue to him ... and then all the pigeons would run to him.

Black Mambo
06-02-2014, 08:52 AM

Off topic I know, but...

Maybe I am just being elitist (PhD in biomedical engineering), but I cannot call anybody who has a JD a "Doctor of anything". At least in academia, being a "doctor" implies having produced some new knowledge that has been reviewed and accepted by senior level peers in the field. There are people who get PhDs in law, and they are by academic standards, "doctors". Law school (getting a JD) is a trade school, like business school (getting an MBA), that results in very well paying jobs (much more than I currently make, which is maybe why i am bitter and territorial, lol).

As an aside, anytime I have to introduce my self as Dr blah blah, I always make sure to add that I am a fake doctor. I am not the kind of doctor that helps people, lol.

Interestingly, I've learned that in Australia, PhDs are considered real doctors, and MDs are considered the fake doctors. Everything truly is inverted down under, huh?

Ahh...slow day. Has practice started yet?

OZZIE4DUKE
06-02-2014, 11:48 AM

I sincerely doubt that Joy is leaving devildeac. She may leave to go visit her sister and Lavabe, but she'll go back to dd after her visit. :cool:

Reilly
06-02-2014, 12:18 PM
I sincerely doubt that Joy is leaving devildeac ...

It's obvious there is still joy in devideac's life: that beer thread is 278 pages long.

Henderson
06-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Maybe I am just being elitist (PhD in biomedical engineering)

Nailed it.

Duvall
06-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Quin to soon be named Jazz coach. (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11044243/quin-synder-soon-named-utah-jazz-coach)

miramar
06-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Perhaps he once had too much too soon, but Quin has more than paid his dues at this point. A great lesson in perseverance.

heyman25
06-06-2014, 10:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11044243/quin-snyder-soon-named-utah-jazz-coach

Welcome back to Head Coaching Quin

kAzE
06-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Wow, what a huge upgrade, going from an assistant in Russia to a head coaching gig in the league . . . Even on a rebuilding franchise, that's a pretty big career swing. That's like getting a 3 waived off, and then a 4 point play the other way.

-bdbd
06-08-2014, 10:37 PM
And it is a pretty gooxd opportunity too. The Jazz were one of the worst 5 teams in the NBA last season, though their talent is better than that. They do have some young talent, and are getting more in a couple weeks with a top-5 and 23rd (?) picks in the draft. They may have the opportunity to pick up a big-time FA if they take the "exception" with their one huge contract (on an oldish player). So, in sum, poor recent results, so expectations will be somewhat low, some good young talent for QS to teach, and more coming. Not a bad scenario to walk into....

lotusland
06-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Wow, what a huge upgrade, going from an assistant in Russia to a head coaching gig in the league . . . Even on a rebuilding franchise, that's a pretty big career swing. That's like getting a 3 waived off, and then a 4 point play the other way.

So where does this put Quinn on the Coach K succession list:D

Henderson
06-09-2014, 09:37 PM
I just checked. He was clocking in at about zero and has moved... hmm... not much.

Dukehky
06-09-2014, 10:32 PM
I just checked. He was clocking in at about zero and has moved... hmm... not much.

I would be shocked if Quinn ever came back to college at this point. But I am also shocked he got this job, so what do I know?

Dsuke17
06-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Quinn finalizes his staff. Former Duke star Antonio Lang joins as assistant coach.
http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/utah-jazz-finalizes-coaching-staff

Turk
07-16-2014, 11:16 PM
Fell into an interwebz rathole and tripped over this site:

http://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/

Love the mug shot of Quin in the banner. They seem to have a puckish sense of humor despite some evidence indicating dour Jerry Sloan loyalists. Top of the blog is a post comparing the fashion stylings of Quin and George Karl side-by-side, and apparently word-for-word presser quotes that generally get cleaned up for publication elsewhere... Gotta get me some Rudy Gobert!

If you dig further, they have some righteous Mailman and Thurl Baily draft night picks (don't ask).

Turk
07-16-2014, 11:35 PM
For example, here's a Rodney Hood quote:

** Rodney Hood on the $50,000 watch he borrowed for the draft
Yeah, I was nervous. You know, me, you know, I’m not a jewelry type of guy. I don’t wear watches. But you know, [other guys in the draft] said to [borrow a watch] for the draft, and when I did it, you know, every single second, you know, when I was shaking people hands, I was looking sure every diamond was there. (TrueHoop TV) [sic]