PDA

View Full Version : New ACC Logo

DU82
05-29-2014, 09:07 PM
A new logo for the conference...

http://www.theacc.com/#!/video-detail/N4Yzgzbjo3ls7ikH6W37vM8_i87ZC-E9

Guess the Cameron floor will need some updating this summer!

fuse
05-29-2014, 09:34 PM
The new logo (or more precisely, the new logo rules) were absolutely skewered on twitter today. Some funny stuff, as far as absurdity around logo rules can take you.

Papa John
05-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Really, the new look is no better or worse than the old. Both are relatively bland, as logos go. FedEx, Disney, Coca-Cola, IBM--those are great text-based logos. The ACC? Meh...

throatybeard
05-29-2014, 10:14 PM
This honestly looks like an airline logo from the 1970s or 1980s. I hope they didn't pay the graphic designer muc...probably a fortune.

Acymetric
05-29-2014, 11:43 PM
Looks kind of like something from a smaller conference trying to make their logo "edgier" and give it some pizzazz or something. Old one was fine, new one could have been fine done right but this one is rather uninspiring. That said, its just a conference logo, I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it. Speaking of which...

brevity
05-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Really, the new look is no better or worse than the old.

Is the new logo better looking? That's a subjective answer. Is the new logo using a derivative font? That's an objective answer. Because...

Oh good, I'm not crazy. (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/acc-completes-assimilation-of-big-east-with-new-logo/13685106/)

BigWayne
05-30-2014, 01:32 AM
Why do I get the feeling that the logo designer/salesman spends a lot of time drinking martinis in Manhattan?

Here is a Turtle
05-30-2014, 01:56 AM
I really did not think the ACC logo did not need updating. This just looks weird. Maybe I get used it in time, but probably not.

Papa John
05-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Is the new logo better looking? That's a subjective answer. Is the new logo using a derivative font? That's an objective answer. Because...

Oh good, I'm not crazy. (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/acc-completes-assimilation-of-big-east-with-new-logo/13685106/)

Derivative? There are some clear similarities between the new ACC font and the old Big East font. Big deal... You can play those games all day. Bottom line, the old ACC font treatment was fine, but not really some revolutionary, amazing logo. Same can be said for the new treatment. Same can be said for the old Big East treatment. I do agree with folks on this thread suggesting that it's likely that a lot of money was spent on something rather ... forgettable and inconsequential. It's not like they incorporated something relevant and interesting in the negative space. They went angular and underlined--big deal. And before this? They had a more classic, sans serif treatment--again, big deal... Much ado about nothing, methinks.

weezie
05-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Much ado about nothing, methinks.

Seconded. The real logo/motto should be "Hey ACC, without Duke you'd be a total borefest!"

Catchy, no?!

killerleft
05-30-2014, 08:54 AM
The new logo reminds me of the 1980s for some reason. Kinda Steve Sloan-ish.

brevity
05-30-2014, 09:31 AM
There are some clear similarities between the new ACC font and the old Big East font.

Exactly. There are also some clear similarities between the new ACC and the old Big East.

(Background: I saw this ACC logo somewhere in the Interwebs within the last 2 months. Pitt colors, maybe, and presented without comment. I thought it was a pretty good but obscure font joke. I had no idea it was real until I saw this thread yesterday.).

mgtr
05-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Now, do I have this right? On July 1, Maryland will slide out of the conference, and at the same time, Louisville will slide in, in fact right into the alphabetical spot occupied by Maryland? Cool!

hurleyfor3
05-31-2014, 12:11 PM
I'll give the ACC credit for nobly hanging on to the "map with dots where the schools are" concept as long as it could.

Yeah, it's very derivative of the '90s Big East logo. Although it does sort of allude to a powerboat cruising up the Atlantic Coast. To Brooklyn, no doubt. Or maybe the Ohio River. They should've tried to make the negative space within the "A" look more like a sailboat.