PDA

View Full Version : Duke Guards/Wings Mix

flyingdutchdevil
05-29-2014, 09:21 AM
Duke Blue Planet has a newish video up on great Duke guards and wings (primarily mid 2000s and onwards): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KXX7g5HGbA&list=UU9KCzNMmf0IRcEIsFDgt2bg

Just a few observations:

1) Anyone more athletic than Gerald Henderson in the last 15 years at Duke? Anyone?

2) I'm not sure if any player maximized his talent more than Nolan Smith. Unbelievable.

3) I really miss the trio of Singler, Smith, and Scheyer. It's not just the NC in 2010 but every game they played they looked like they were having fun and really seemed to enjoy each other as teammates.

3) Historical Duke perimeter D is a thing of beauty. Sigh...

Li_Duke
05-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Duke Blue Planet has a newish video up on great Duke guards and wings (primarily mid 2000s and onwards): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KXX7g5HGbA&list=UU9KCzNMmf0IRcEIsFDgt2bg

Just a few observations:

1) Anyone more athletic than Gerald Henderson in the last 15 years at Duke? Anyone?

2) I'm not sure if any player maximized his talent more than Nolan Smith. Unbelievable.

3) I really miss the trio of Singler, Smith, and Scheyer. It's not just the NC in 2010 but every game they played they looked like they were having fun and really seemed to enjoy each other as teammates.

3) Historical Duke perimeter D is a thing of beauty. Sigh...

1. Corey Maggette (right on the 15 year cusp) and Dahntay Jones have a case for most athletic Duke player.
2. Shane Battier probably had less physical talent (Nolan was very athletic). One could argue for John Scheyer or JJ Reddick as well.
3. Agreed, but I'm sentimental and miss most of the former Duke players. I remember the bond Shane had with Elton Brand, then later with Chris Carrawell and Nate James (when it seemed everyone else had left the program). I remember Jason Williams repeatedly kissing Carlos Boozer's arm and professing his (platonic) love for the guy in an interview after winning the ACC championship. I remember being at a woman's basketball game and watching Jason Williams and Chris Duhon coming in to watch and seeming as close as any brothers could be.
4. Agreed, I'm optimistic that between Sulaimon, Matt Jones, Justise Winslow, and Amile Jefferson, we can expect to see it for most of a season sometime in the next 2 years though (or as much as the new rules allow).

NSDukeFan
05-29-2014, 08:16 PM
1. Corey Maggette (right on the 15 year cusp) and Dahntay Jones have a case for most athletic Duke player.
2. Shane Battier probably had less physical talent (Nolan was very athletic). One could argue for John Scheyer or JJ Reddick as well.
3. Agreed, but I'm sentimental and miss most of the former Duke players. I remember the bond Shane had with Elton Brand, then later with Chris Carrawell and Nate James (when it seemed everyone else had left the program). I remember Jason Williams repeatedly kissing Carlos Boozer's arm and professing his (platonic) love for the guy in an interview after winning the ACC championship. I remember being at a woman's basketball game and watching Jason Williams and Chris Duhon coming in to watch and seeming as close as any brothers could be.
4. Agreed, I'm optimistic that between Sulaimon, Matt Jones, Justise Winslow, and Amile Jefferson, we can expect to see it for most of a season sometime in the next 2 years though (or as much as the new rules allow).
1. After watching that video, Jason Williams is not very far down the list of most athletic Dukies. The speed, quickness and power he had on a couple of those drives was ridiculous.
2. I don't know about maximizing talent, but Nolan had a bunch of it.
3. As nervous as I get watching Duke games, I felt relatively comfortable watching Duke 2010 with any lead greater than the minutes left in the game, because that team defended so well and could stall and get a good shot almost every time and hit free throws. So much fun. But I agree that I miss a lot of Duke guys and have great memories of a lot of players and teams, if not all of the ones I have watched.
4. As an eternal optimist, I am expecting a better year defensively and am excited to see how next year' steam defends.