PDA

View Full Version : Maya Angelou (1928-2014)

throatybeard
05-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Times obit (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/29/arts/maya-angelou-lyrical-witness-of-the-jim-crow-south-dies-at-86.html?_r=0).

Sigh.

Mike Corey
05-28-2014, 01:10 PM
I didn't realize this, but she spoke at every Duke convocation since 1989.

And here I thought the class of '05 was just lucky to have had her speaking to us.

A great American and citizen of the world, may she rest in peace; may her words continue to rise.

blazindw
05-29-2014, 12:24 AM
I didn't realize this, but she spoke at every Duke convocation since 1989.

And here I thought the class of '05 was just lucky to have had her speaking to us.

A great American and citizen of the world, may she rest in peace; may her words continue to rise.

I watched/listened to her speak all 4 years I was at Duke. It was remarkable every single time. When Maya Angelou was in your neighborhood, you didn't miss the chance to hear her speak. And I'm glad I was able to make it to all 4.

Mike Corey
05-29-2014, 11:29 AM
I watched/listened to her speak all 4 years I was at Duke. It was remarkable every single time. When Maya Angelou was in your neighborhood, you didn't miss the chance to hear her speak. And I'm glad I was able to make it to all 4.

Seriously. I feel like an incredible dolt for not knowing about this, let alone missing out on three opportunities to learn from Dr. Angelou.

CDu
05-29-2014, 02:19 PM
Count me among those who didn't realize she spoke every year. And disappointed that I didn't see her speak more times. That woman was amazing!

YmoBeThere
05-29-2014, 08:30 PM
I was there for her first speech in 1989. I couldn't see her as I was stuck behind a pillar near the back. That made her voice that much more remarkable to me.

blazindw
05-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Seriously. I feel like an incredible dolt for not knowing about this, let alone missing out on three opportunities to learn from Dr. Angelou.

Oh don't...I stumbled upon yours when I came back as a FAC my sophomore year. It was then I realized that they probably invite her every year. Definitely lucky in that regard.