PDA

View Full Version : Coach K 5 times the coach ol' roy is

BD80
05-15-2014, 10:25 PM
At least based on remuneration for coaching:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24563794/report-the-richest-coaches-in-college-basketball

N\Coach K at $9.7, nearly twice Pitino and calipari at $5+ mil

ol' roy a bargain @ #22 @ $1.8 mil.

OldPhiKap
05-16-2014, 06:57 AM
At least based on remuneration for coaching:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24563794/report-the-richest-coaches-in-college-basketball

N\Coach K at $9.7, nearly twice Pitino and calipari at $5+ mil

ol' roy a bargain @ #22 @ $1.8 mil.

You get what you pay for.

CameronBornAndBred
05-16-2014, 08:09 AM
Dadgummit, if I were Roy, I'd be pissed. Making less than Gottfried, and not much more than Larry Fedora (1.35M). In fact, I'd be so pissed, I'd quit! ;)

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Too much of my tax money. They could hire a couple of monkeys for a lot less.

arnie
05-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Too much of my tax money. They could hire a couple of monkeys for a lot less.

Actually N&O article says K took a big salary hit - only made 6+ mill in latest reported year. Still makes him 3-3.5 times better than Roy

Henderson
05-16-2014, 08:58 AM
There's a pitifully funny subtext here. The numbers mean that ol' Roy has zero bargaining power on compensation matters. He walks into negotiate an extension/salary increase, and the other people in the room just look at him and think to themselves, "You're expendable, Roy, because we're not that much in love with you. Besides, where you gonna go?"

flyingdutchdevil
05-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Actually N&O article says K took a big salary hit - only made 6+ mill in latest reported year. Still makes him 3-3.5 times better than Roy

If I ONLY made +$6 mill last year, I wouldn't be here typing this from my desk...

JasonEvans
05-16-2014, 09:11 AM
I find some of those numbers to be suspect. I think Roy makes a heck of a lot more than $1.8 mil. The article says the amounts are what they are paid by their universities. I suspect that different schools have different policies about how coaches are compensated via shoe deals, basketball camps, speaking gigs, and bonuses from booster clubs or other non-school affiliated entities.

It is very possible that, at some schools, things like shoe and camp revenues are paid directly to the school and funneled to the coach. At other schools those monies may be paid directly to the coach and therefor not show up in the USAToday reported incomes.

Bottom line, I find it exceedingly hard to believe that Roy is the #22 highest paid coach in the land and that he makes 1/5th of what K makes.

-Jason "it is also worth noting that Roy would have no trouble finding a job elsewhere if he felt UNC was not treating him fairly" Evans

JasonEvans
05-16-2014, 09:15 AM
It is very possible that, at some schools, things like shoe and camp revenues are paid directly to the school and funneled to the coach. At other schools those monies may be paid directly to the coach and therefor not show up in the USAToday reported incomes.

Bottom line, I find it exceedingly hard to believe that Roy is the #22 highest paid coach in the land and that he makes 1/5th of what K makes.

Lo and behold, all it took was some Google magic to find others who suspect the figures are off. This article is from last year (http://www.tarheelblog.com/2013/4/3/4179298/usa-today-releases-basketball-coaches-salary) when the list came out.

Prior to Dick Baddour's departure as athletic director, Williams contract was extended putting his salary at between $1.7 and $2.0 million per year not including the Nike and possibly the Learfield Sports income he receives.

The question is, did USA Today include apparel deal income for some coaches or not others?

The article goes on to state that shoe money was included in Mark Gottfried's income, but not in Roy's. so, this USA Today chart is truly a comparison of apples and oranges. It ain't all that accurate.

-Jason "oh, and if Roy wanted more money, he could get it from UNC -- he is happy with his compensation and that is all that matters" Evans

BD80
05-16-2014, 09:17 AM
There's a pitifully funny subtext here. The numbers mean that ol' Roy has zero bargaining power on compensation matters. He walks into negotiate an extension/salary increase, and the other people in the room just look at him and think to themselves, "You're expendable, Roy, because we're not that much in love with you. Besides, where you gonna go?"

I wonder which direction ol' roy's compensation is trending?

For a bit of perspective, UK is paying two assistant coaches $1 million each.

Also suggests that it would be tough for the Cavs to hire calipari. SVG just got a large contract for the Pistons @ $7 mil/yr (as coach AND director of basketball operations) and Steve Kerr only got $5 mil/yr with the Warriors who were bidding against the Knicks (with the Zen master)

CameronBornAndBred
05-16-2014, 10:04 AM
The article goes on to state that shoe money was included in Mark Gottfried's income, but not in Roy's. so, this USA Today chart is truly a comparison of apples and oranges. It ain't all that accurate.

The data is from the tax returns that the schools filed, so they may not have to report such deals, since the schools are not the source of that income. In the case of Roy Williams, UNC did not include the deal on purpose.

North Carolina: Williams had permission to receive additional income under a shoe and apparel contract and a media contract, and to operate camps and clinics in 2012-13, according to the most recently available university documents. The university declined to release further information about any of those enterprises.
That quote is from a side article explaining the methodology that USAtoday used in creating the chart. It is linked at the bottom of the chart.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/04/02/college-basketball-coach-contracts-database-methodology/7196489/

oldnavy
05-16-2014, 12:32 PM

I tend to agree with this. Roy isn't going to leave UNC to go and start over somewhere else at this point. I can see a retirement to the mountains and golf course...

OldPhiKap
05-16-2014, 07:43 PM
To be fair, Roy gets free babysitters for his grandchildren.

It's all about the perks, folks.