PDA

View Full Version : NBA draft camp measurements

Saratoga2
05-13-2014, 10:24 AM
I am always interested to see the actual measurements of the kids that go to the Chicago camp. Often kids are two inches shorter than previously stated. I understand that measurements will be taken Thursday and Friday of this week. It usually takes a day or so to get the final published list. They provide interesting information on explosiveness, length and agility as well. We have Jabari and Rodney in there and they should do well.

MCFinARL
05-13-2014, 10:55 AM
I am always interested to see the actual measurements of the kids that go to the Chicago camp. Often kids are two inches shorter than previously stated. I understand that measurements will be taken Thursday and Friday of this week. It usually takes a day or so to get the final published list. They provide interesting information on explosiveness, length and agility as well. We have Jabari and Rodney in there and they should do well.

Jabari is actually skipping the camp, along with some other projected lottery picks (Wiggins and Embiid--although Embiid may be skipping for medical reasons, rehabbing his back injury).

flyingdutchdevil
05-13-2014, 11:06 AM
Jabari is actually skipping the camp, along with some other projected lottery picks (Wiggins and Embiid--although Embiid may be skipping for medical reasons, rehabbing his back injury).

If you are a nearly guaranteed top-3 pick (Jabari, Wiggins, Embiid), the NBA Draft Camp can only hurt you. All three players are very smart for missing out on it.

The NBA Draft Camp can only help players who completely flew under the radar (Miles Plumlee) but more often than not hurt players (Shabazz, Austin Rivers to a certian extent).

UrinalCake
05-13-2014, 12:01 PM
It's a shame so many top players skip the combine, because whenever you hear things like "this guy has the biggest vertical in the history of the combine," it's kind of a tainted stat.

I'm not sure Jabari would have put up great numbers, so I agree it's a wise move for him to skip. Everybody knows the guy can play.

dukelifer
05-13-2014, 12:07 PM

Won't he still be measured there?

sagegrouse
05-13-2014, 12:11 PM
It's a shame so many top players skip the combine, because whenever you hear things like "this guy has the biggest vertical in the history of the combine," it's kind of a tainted stat.

I'm not sure Jabari would have put up great numbers, so I agree it's a wise move for him to skip. Everybody knows the guy can play.

I may be misremembering, but I thought a number of those who skipped came in for measurements -- height, reach, etc.

Looking at the 2013 draft, the only one who skipped measurements was Anthony Bennett, although Alex Len had some "NULL" entries.

Sagegrouse
'Or as we used to say about the old Durham dive, The Null and Void, -- "null now, void later."'

MCFinARL
05-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Won't he still be measured there?

That is a really good question, and I'm not sure of the answer. That was what I originally assumed, but then after I saw the report about Jabari and the two Kansas players skipping, I saw another report about Doug McDermott, which said he would probably only go for measurements, though he is still on the list. There seem to be a lot of players who attend but only do measurements and/or interviews, without drills, so I'm thinking players who are skipping are really skipping the whole thing.

flyingdutchdevil
05-13-2014, 12:52 PM

Jabari missing the Combine makes sense. Wiggins doesn't. Wiggins seems to be the most athletic player in the class. Wouldn't you want to highlight that?

Then again, may be Wiggins isn't and doesn't want to let the cat out of the bag...

MCFinARL
05-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Jabari missing the Combine makes sense. Wiggins doesn't. Wiggins seems to be the most athletic player in the class. Wouldn't you want to highlight that?

Then again, may be Wiggins isn't and doesn't want to let the cat out of the bag...

Maybe. But if you knew you were likely going to be drafted top three, and thus had the luxury of scheduling private workouts/interviews with the teams that were interested in you, instead of going to a giant meat market, wouldn't that be an appealing option?

BD80
05-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Maybe. But if you knew you were likely going to be drafted top three, and thus had the luxury of scheduling private workouts/interviews with the teams that were interested in you, instead of going to a giant meat market, wouldn't that be an appealing option?

What if the top 3 are Philly, Milwaukee and Detroit? Meat market sounds pretty good

MCFinARL
05-13-2014, 08:47 PM
What if the top 3 are Philly, Milwaukee and Detroit? Meat market sounds pretty good

Well, if the meat market could convince some other team to trade enough to get a top pick and rescue you, then I see your point.

Kdogg
05-14-2014, 09:36 AM
I may be misremembering, but I thought a number of those who skipped came in for measurements -- height, reach, etc.

Looking at the 2013 draft, the only one who skipped measurements was Anthony Bennett, although Alex Len had some "NULL" entries.

Sagegrouse
'Or as we used to say about the old Durham dive, The Null and Void, -- "null now, void later."'

Yeah in the past, top players still came to the combine for measurements. They would skip the strength and skill drills and the games. It's strange that all three would completely skip the event.

Saratoga2
05-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Yeah in the past, top players still came to the combine for measurements. They would skip the strength and skill drills and the games. It's strange that all three would completely skip the event.

Only a couple of days before the measurements are available and the question of whether the skippers do just measurements will be answered.

BD80
05-14-2014, 10:36 AM
... the question of whether the skippers do just measurements will be answered.

In this day of enlightenment, are we allowed to use such words?

NovaScotian
05-14-2014, 04:51 PM

Will they be answering the questionnaire regarding their diet?

TexHawk
05-14-2014, 06:09 PM

Good thing none of Wiggins's KU games were on national TV this year.[/sarcasm]

Being serious for a moment, there's a rumor going around that Wiggins tweaked his lower back or hamstring and wants to get fully healthy for his workouts.

crimsonandblue
05-15-2014, 12:56 AM
Good thing none of Wiggins's KU games were on national TV this year.[/sarcasm]

Being serious for a moment, there's a rumor going around that Wiggins tweaked his lower back or hamstring and wants to get fully healthy for his workouts.

Wiggins submits for the record, his ESPN Sports Science clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJJQNaKczLY

SilkyJ
05-15-2014, 11:27 AM
This ESPN article (http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/10918949/2014-nba-draft-andrew-wiggins-joel-embiid-jabari-parker-skip-combine) leaves me with the impression that they will not be doing measurements either. Mainly b/c they point out that Doug McDermott will be doing measurements, but not anything else and they dont use the same language for the Wiggings/Parker/Embiid...they simply say they are skipping.

Saratoga2
05-16-2014, 02:40 PM
There is an article out about the incredible shrinking players. I tried to post the link but it looked like gibberish. Being 73 makes it a chore for me to do the linking, but it was from ESPN.

Also the question was answered regarding whether the three top picks (including Jabari) will submit to measurements. They will not!

nmduke2001
05-16-2014, 04:43 PM
http://stats.nba.com/draftCombineAnthro.html#pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=100

I'm not sure if these are official, but they are from the combine. You can also scroll through and see how they did on the shooting and speed drills. I thought Dre was there, but I don't see his name anywhere.

Saratoga2
05-17-2014, 04:06 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2014&source=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

This one includes Rodney Hood, Andre Dawkins, Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow from the Duke team. The last three are only given with shoes on the rest are in more detail.

NSDukeFan
05-18-2014, 06:36 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2014&source=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

This one includes Rodney Hood, Andre Dawkins, Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow from the Duke team. The last three are only given with shoes on the rest are in more detail.

Jahlil, at 6'10.75 with shoes on, is not quite as tall as I thought (neither is Cliff Alexander at 6'8 with shoes), but he has a great reach (7'5).

MCFinARL
05-18-2014, 09:17 AM
http://stats.nba.com/draftCombineAnthro.html#pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=100

I'm not sure if these are official, but they are from the combine. You can also scroll through and see how they did on the shooting and speed drills. I thought Dre was there, but I don't see his name anywhere.

Dre was not invited to the combine.

Henderson
05-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Jahlil, at 6'10.75 with shoes on, is not quite as tall as I thought (neither is Cliff Alexander at 6'8 with shoes), but he has a great reach (7'5).

You're referring to his wingspan, but you're right that it's impressive. So is his reach at 9'2.5". And hasn't he been pretty consistently listed as a 6'11" player? As long as a player's stated height is w/i ½" of his measured height in shoes, I'd call it pretty accurate. I saw a story suggesting that players' heights are overstated then unmasked at the combine. But the most egregious example given was Doug McDermott, who has been listed all season as 6'8" but is actually just under 6'7" without shoes and just under 6'8" with shoes. I'm OK with calling him 6'8".

Ordinary mortals think of their height in stocking feet, not with shoes on. But that's not generally the way basketball players' heights are listed. It is kind of funny how fat a pair of shoe soles can be. Shabazz Napier grows 2 inches when he laces up. That seems sketchy to me. If I wore shoes that made me 2 inches taller, Mrs. Henderson would go out and buy me a pocketbook to match them. Sometimes I wonder if players have separate insoles for measurement day.

Ichabod Drain
05-19-2014, 10:16 AM
You're referring to his wingspan, but you're right that it's impressive. So is his reach at 9'2.5". And hasn't he been pretty consistently listed as a 6'11" player? As long as a player's stated height is w/i ½" of his measured height in shoes, I'd call it pretty accurate. I saw a story suggesting that players' heights are overstated then unmasked at the combine. But the most egregious example given was Doug McDermott, who has been listed all season as 6'8" but is actually just under 6'7" without shoes and just under 6'8" with shoes. I'm OK with calling him 6'8".

Ordinary mortals think of their height in stocking feet, not with shoes on. But that's not generally the way basketball players' heights are listed. It is kind of funny how fat a pair of shoe soles can be. Shabazz Napier grows 2 inches when he laces up. That seems sketchy to me. If I wore shoes that made me 2 inches taller, Mrs. Henderson would go out and buy me a pocketbook to match them. Sometimes I wonder if players have separate insoles for measurement day.

A couple that jump out at me; Rodney is only 0.25" shorter than Aaron Gordon, there were only four guys at the combine who are actually 6'10" or taller.

Henderson
05-19-2014, 10:34 AM
A couple that jump out at me; Rodney is only 0.25" shorter than Aaron Gordon....

But Gordon has a much greater vertical and wingspan, and 12 lbs. more weight with only 5% body fat. That's an example of a guy who probably improved his stock by showing up to be measured. Plus he's only 18 years old (!!), whereas Rodney is 21.

They'll play different positions, so they don't need to be compared. But Gordon is a true physical specimen with crazy upside. I'd take him ahead of Julius Randle. Top 4.

Billy Dat
05-19-2014, 10:40 AM
A Chad Ford piece behind the ESPN paywall was saying that rumors are spreading about Jabari being significantly overweight. Aside from his defense, that seems to be the primary red flag about him.

Ichabod Drain
05-19-2014, 10:42 AM
But Gordon has a much greater vertical and wingspan, and 12 lbs. more weight with only 5% body fat. That's an example of a guy who probably improved his stock by showing up to be measured. Plus he's only 18 years old (!!), whereas Rodney is 21.

They'll play different positions, so they don't need to be compared. But Gordon is a true physical specimen with crazy upside. I'd take him ahead of Julius Randle. Top 4.

Oh I agree... The fact he performed the way he did being under 6'8" is very impressive.

MCFinARL
05-19-2014, 10:51 AM
A Chad Ford piece behind the ESPN paywall was saying that rumors are spreading about Jabari being significantly overweight. Aside from his defense, that seems to be the primary red flag about him.

Too many Jabari bars?

BD80
05-19-2014, 11:04 AM

It's just misinformation being spread by his agent in an attempt to have the perpetual lottery teams to pass on him so he can go to Boston or LA at #5 or 6.